BSD 8 Week Log

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

This is a simple log of my starting conditions (Height, Weight etc) and a daily record of the changes. I will not be listing food intake or recipes as there is plenty of information already on this subject. This will only record the physical changes.

Week 1
    Day 1
    11/07/16

Starting conditions:
    Height 6 Feet 6 inches
    BMI 29.9
    Weight 18 Stone 6 Pound (117 Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 12/07/16

Week 1
    Day 2

BMI: 29.8
    Weight: 18 stone 5 Pound (117 Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 13/07/16

Week 1
    Day 3

BMI: 29.3
    Weight: 18 Stone 2 pound (115Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 14/07/16

Week 1
    Day 4

BMI: 29.1
    Weight 18 Stone 0 Pound (114 Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 15/07/16

Week 1
    Day 5

BMI: 29
    Weight: 17 Stone 13 Pound (114Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 16/07/16

Week 1
    Day 6

BMI: 28.8
    Weight: 17 Stone 12 Pound (113Kg)

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Sorry for messing up your nice orderly post but congratulations – 8 lb in 6 days is BRILLIANT
    You don’t mention whether you have diabetes or pre-diabetes/

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks for your post Ziggy.
    I am lucky enough not to have diabetes or pre-diabetes (to my knowledge). I started to get pain in my left foot and from reading various articles determined that it may be an indicator of pre-diabetes. I downloaded the BSD diet to my kindle and was impressed by the logic of the research. I then decided to take action and started the diet. I have also decided to do a conclusions rundown after each week to give me impetus to carry on to the next week. I became aware, by reading the book, that getting older and being overweight or obese could have serious impacts on my health as time passed.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Thanks for the info Middleage1 – I will follow your progress with interest and be silently cheering you on!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 17/07/16

Week 1
    Day 7

BMI: 28.6
    Weight: 17 Stone 10 Pound (112Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Well it’s the end of week 1. I have lost 10 pounds and my BMI has dropped from 29.9 to 28.6. I have stuck to the diet well and have aimed as close to the 800 calories as possible even if it may have gone slightly over on a couple of days. I have tried to avoid eating too few calories as this, I believe, would be detrimental to the program.

I have peed for Britain this week but have also greatly increased my fluid intake. I expect this to normalise next week.

I predict that my weight loss wont be as spectacular next week as my body adjust and the weight loss starts to stabilise.

I am still looking forward to the next 7 weeks as a challenge and my enthusiasm has not waned in any way yet.

I felt very tired between Thursday and Friday of last week but my energy levels have now returned to normal (If not increased slightly).

I have concentrated on eating plenty of protein and keeping my fibre intake up. My list of basics foods for last week has been Eggs, Chicken, Beans, Lentils, Stir Fry, Natural Full Fat Yogurt, Berries and a range of condiments, herbs and low calorie sauce preparations.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Congratulations on the brilliant loss in a week Middleage1.

Am with you on the Niagara Galls peeing, but then I am drinking a loooot of water/

My week 2 weigh in tomorrow.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 18/07/16

Week 2
    Day 1

BMI: 28.6
    Weight: 17 Stone 10 Pound (112Kg)

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Wow you’ve lost as much as I have in two weeks Middleage1, well done you!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 19/07/16

Week 2
    Day 2

BMI: 28.5
    Weight: 17 Stone 9 Pound (112Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks Ziggy
    The weight loss is slowing down this week as expected. I fully understand that this is the norm though.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 20/07/16

Week 2
    Day 3

BMI: 28.5
    Weight: 17 Stone 9 Pound (112Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Current Day 20/07/16

Week 2
    Day 4

BMI: 28.4
    Weight: 17 Stone 8 Pound (111Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

22/07/16

Week 2
    Day 5

BMI: 28.3
    Weight: 17 Stone 7 Pound (111Kg)

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Wow Middleage1 – that is nearly a stone!

So glad that you and I (cause we started at approximately the same time) didn’t have a competition between ourselves. Well Done, you must feel chuffed!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks Ziggy
    Yes I am pleased with the progress.
    It has not been as easy in this second week to lose as much as the first. The number of trips to the toilet for a pee have reduced dramatically though. I think the fluid loss is starting to balance out.
    Your weight loss is mightily impressive. I started with a lot more weight to shift and there is a tendency that if you weigh more you lose more initially. It should be interesting in the next few weeks to see how things progress for us both.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

23/07/16

Week 2
    Day 6

Diet starting weight: 18 Stone 6 Pound
    BMI: 28.1
    Weight: 17 Stone 6 Pound (110.68Kg)

• posted by Ziggy
    on

And there goes the first stone – absolutely brilliant Middleage1. first milestone reached.

(sound of low cal champagne corks popping)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks Ziggy
    I am very pleased that I have shifted a stone within a fortnight. It gives me confidence to go forward.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

23/07/16

Week 2
    Day 7

Diet starting weight: 18 Stone 6 Pound
    BMI: 28
    Weight: 17 Stone 5 Pound (110.22Kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Week 2 is now over. I have lost 5 pounds this week and 1 stone 1 pound in total. The weight loss has slowed this week but is expected after the initial loss of fluids.

My trips to the toilet to pee have returned to normal but it took from Monday to Friday for the other to appear this week. I was getting very concerned and was about to buy a bulk supply of fybrogel when relief was granted!. There was no problems when I went though and hopefully in week 3 the pattern of bowel movements should have returned to normal. Sorry if this is too graphic but from reading other posts this seems to be pact and parcel of the diet at the start.

I have not felt hunger pangs on the diet. I have felt a slight burning/tingling sensation around my belly area where I suspect the body has started utilising fat to create energy. I think of this as my friend as it verifies the weight loss. Has anybody else noticed this sensation?.

I have not been too adventurous on the food front and have stuck to the same as last week. The only bit of inspiration has been mixing sugar free strawberry crusha (plus a little sweetener) and a couple of finely chopped strawberries to my natural yogurt. This comes in at around 60 calories per 100 grams and is delicious. Without the strawberries it is 50 calories and 3.6 grams of sugar per 100 grams.

I would like to hit the 16 stone range after week 3 but if it goes into week 4 for this I will not be disappointed.

Best wishes and good luck to everybody on these forums.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Great post Middleage1, great results too.

My toilet habits have returned to normal – e.g. daily!

Funny you mention the burning/tingling sensation around the belly area – as I had the same feeling and thought the same as you did – that I was feeling the visceral fat burning off (oh I wish one could feel it burning off).

My stomach has gotten a voice of its own, and can be very loud at times.

My hunger pangs are OK, yet I find if I go shopping that I do get hungry whilst walking up and down the food filled aisles and looking at ‘old friends of the foodstuff kind’.

Have tried to up my exercise, I was exercising moderately beforehand anyway – have just increased it a bit.

I thought we had started at the same time, but you say that week two is just over for you, whilst for me week three ends today

Weigh to go for me tomorrow (hopefully)

Keep on losing in the free world

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    Hope it goes well with the weigh in today.Good luck my friend.
    I am lucky so far in that I have had no cravings.
    I do not exercise as such but my job involves me continually moving around and lifting moderately heavy items for 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

24/07/16

Week 3
    Day 1

Diet starting weight: 18 stone 6 pound

BMI: 28
    Weight: 17 stone 5 pound (110.22kg)

• posted by Middleage1
    on

26/07/16

Week 3
    Day 2

Weight now: 17 stone 4 pound (109.76kg)
    BMI: 27.9

• posted by Middleage1
    on

27/07/16

Week 3
    Day 3

Weight now: 17 stone 3 pound (109.31kg)
    BMI: 27.8

• posted by Middleage1
    on

28/07/16

Week 3
    Day 4

Weight now: 17 stone 2 pound (108.86kg)
    BMI: 27.7

• posted by Ziggy
    on

My goodness – you are averaging a lb per day Middleage1 – fantastic, you are like Osain Bolt to my Jogger!!!

Keep it up! And the weight down !

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    Thanks. I am doing well but my job helps as well. It is a very active job where I am on my feet. My partner is off ill at the moment so I have worked for the last 15 days with only 1 day off (I am knackered). I will be glad when he returns to work!. It is helping lose the pounds though. As a side point the pain in my foot that prompted me to start this diet has now gone – hopefully for good.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

29/07/16

Week 3
    Day 5

Weight now: 17 stone 2 pound (108.86kg)
    BMI: 27.7

• posted by Ziggy
    on

19 days and 18 lbs – wow almost 1lb per day on the button! Kudos!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks Ziggy
    Weight loss slowing down though!. I will be glad to hit the 16 stone range.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

29/07/16

Week 3
    Day 6

Weight now: 17 stone 1 pound (108.40kg)
    BMI: 27.6

• posted by Middleage1
    on

30/07/16

Week 3
    Day 7

Weight now: 17 stone (107.95kg)
    BMI: 27.5

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Week 3 is now finished. I have lost 5 pounds this week. The pattern has been 10 pounds, 5 pounds and 5 pounds lost over the 3 weeks. If anybody had told me 3 weeks ago I would lose 1 stone 6 pounds in that time frame I would have laughed. I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating (or not in this case).
    I did slip up this week when my wife and I were persuaded to go for a meal with a couple of friends. My wife is also doing this alongside me and has lost 13 pounds in total. We were persuaded into eating a proper meal!. Oh boy did we both feel guilty in the morning and funnily enough neither of us enjoyed the meal. We both ate our food but left the chips and had no starter or dessert. This was no substitution for our misgivings in the morning though.
    I am now just a smidgen below 17 stone so the scales actually had a 16 at the beginning (I only record the pound as it dips below that figure). It felt great seeing a 16 at the start and it seems incredible that I am within distance of officially being a healthy weight (15 stone 7 pounds for my height).
    Well here’s to week 4 and hopefully I can continue the trend of losing around 5 pounds next week.
    Good luck to everybody.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Middleage1 that is amazing! Its a wonderful feeling when the number on the scales goes to the next stone isn’t it!! Woohoo!
    I love the fact that you and your wife avoided the chips AND the dessert! That’s just incredible – well done!
    I’m not losing as much as you guys on here but last week I lost 2 pounds in a week which I haven’t done since December. I’m not far off seeing 9 stone something on the scales – something I’m super excited about and NEVER thought I’d see again! The good thing is, this diet is so simple, so easy to follow – and SO effective!
    Bean xx

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Wow, your results are rockin’ Middleage1. Congrats to you and your wife. And you are practically half way to your target weight – and if you lose 5 more weeks at 5lbs a week you will have lost more than you targetted for.
    Half way mark for me tomorrow.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Not meaning to be nosy – but where did you get the figure of 15 st 7 lb as your ideal weight Middleage1?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It is possible that if Middleage is 6 foot or over 15st 7lbs would be a healthy weight on the BMI Scale. I’m sure he will answer for himself though.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Talking of ideal weights. I have just looked on a site that told me that, at 4 foot 11 1/2 inches I should be 6 st 10 lbs. I don’t think I have ever weighed less that 7 stone, even in my teenage years – oh bliss, and I thought I was fat then.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Blimey! I can’t imagine every weighing 7 stone something!! 😉
    Ideal weight is a funny thing isn’t it. At Slimming World (I know, just bear with me!) for my height – 5ft 6 the lowest weight is 8st13. My sister, who is the same height as me weighs 8 stone! Strange isn’t it!
    Bean :-0

• posted by Frog
    on

I did a body weight thing online the other day – I got to it via a keto-something website someone had recommended – told me I only had 8% body fat when I plugged in all the details. I reverted to guessing from pictures on the same site (maybe they knew their body fat calculator was a bit off!) at 40% – and now I have my new posh scales, they’re telling me 38.6%.

I know from when I have lost weight in the past that even at a size 12, I’ve had an ‘overweight’ BMI, which is why I have a target dress size in my head rather than an absolute weight (well, I still have a target weight, but if I get to a size that I want to be, I may be flexible on the target weight).
    It’s harking back to my big feet theory!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

@ sunshine-girl from his profile middleage1 says he is 6 ft 6 ins tall, I am 5 ft 1 in and my ideal weight is about 11 st 7 lbs (got from a BMI calculator – and I know BMI is not a great measurement of body mass etc but that is what Middleage1 used too) so I was wondering how a height difference of 5 inches has a weight difference of 4 stone.

I myself am working from the book where MM says to try to lose 10% or 15% of your body weight – these percentages thought the best losses to ensure loss of visceral fat –
    thus using the 10% I would really need to be looking at a target weight (original weight 13 st 01 lb) of 11 st 8 lb – a loss of 1 st 9 lbs
    and using the 15% my target weight would be 11 st 1 lb a loss of 2 st

I’ll be halfway through tomorrow and don’t even know if the 10% loss is do-able 😎

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Nursebeam
    Thank you for your support. I had a lot of weight to lose to begin with and this helps with initial weight loss. You appear to be doing great with this diet. Well done and I am glad that everything you are aiming for is working out for you. I think these forums help with giving people inspiration and everyone who is working towards their goals are doing absolutely fantastic.

Hi Ziggy
    Please see my reply to sunshine-girl where I use the NHS calculator for readings of my BMI. If you read my log you will see it is the time I will first reach an official healthy weight rather than an ideal weight. My ideal would be less than this. You are right about the BMI not being an ideal indicator. This all depends on things like bone structure, muscle mass etc. I am only using it as a guide and not a set in stone, concrete indicator.
    Hope this answers your question. All the best with this week.

Hi Frog
    You are right about all the conflicting information about BMI, body fat and a whole plethora of information about healthy weights and ranges. You will know your body better than anybody else. It is wise to envelop all this information but it is only you that will know what is best for you, your body weight and your health. I think that everyone who uses these forums agree that Michael Mosley is to be respected and his ideas on diet, weight and health are the opinions that make most sense to people on his range of diet programs.

Hi sunshine-girl
    I use the NHS BMI healthy weight calculator. I only use this one simply because it is on the NHS website. If you put in my height (6 feet 6 inches) you hit the healthy weight region once 15 stone 7 is reached. This is my number one goal at the moment, to be in the healthy range rather than overweight. You have to be careful with the range they give you though. I know if I hit the lower range I would probably be a walking skeleton!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

01/08/16

Week 4
    Day 1

Weight now: 16 stone 13 pound (107.50kg)
    BMI: 27.3

Please log in or register to post a reply.