BSD 8 Week Log

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I just got on my Wii Fit to do my BMI and I am officially obese, but less so than I was 5 weeks ago. Because I am only 4 ft 11 inches anything over 7 stone makes me Fat on the BMI scale. I will never be 7 stone but would be happy to be 9 stone.

You have done fantastic, keep it up.

• posted by karenv
    on

Whaow Middleage1 you are having fantastic results, very inspiring! I’m sure you are delighted with your results ๐Ÿ™‚ Well done!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Weigh to go champ. I take it you are tall and big boned not tall and light boned (naturally skinny)?

Amazing results

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi sunshine-girl
    My wife is 5ft 2 inches tall. Her healthy weight range on the NHS website is 7st 3lb to 9st 11lb. I think I would be very concerned if she was to drop to the lowest weight as I believe like you that a weight of 9 stone is around the most sensible region to aim for.

Hi karenv
    Thank you for your comments. I think it is fantastic that you have lost 9 pounds over the 1st week. I know what you mean by comfort eating. The BSD diet is the strictest of the three promoted by Michael Mosley. There have been a couple of times over the last 3 weeks when I have had to be very strong willed not to cave in to eating comfort food. I try to focus on the fact that when I complete the full 8 weeks the benefits will be enormous. All the best to you.

Hi Ziggy
    You are correct, I am what would be considered big boned and have to consider this when I come to determining my ideal weight. I am assuming that if I manage to get into the healthy weight range my own common sense will tell me when I have reached
    my optimum weight.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Understood Middleage1, you would be looking to be in the top third range of normal BMI then

• posted by Middleage1
    on

02/08/16

Week 4
    Day 2

Diet starting weight: 18 stone 6 pound

Weight now: 16 stone 13 pound (107.50kg)
    BMI: 27.3

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Blimey Charlie! Middeage1!! That’s incredible ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    You are perfectly correct. According to the BMI charts, 11st 6 lb to 15st 7lb is the range for my height. I remember as a teenager (I’ve been 6′ 6″ since the age of 14). I weighed just over 13 stone and was seriously thin. In my 20’s and early 30’s I ran 3 times a week and consistently weighed 14st 7 lb. My health profile over this period was excellent.
    14st 7lb would be my ultimate goal but I believe that if I went under 14st I would be affecting my health negatively.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Nursebean
    Thanks for your encouragement. It is using this forum and feeling that everyone is fighting towards a common goal that keeps me focused. You have a similar philosophy to me. I have completely avoided bread, rice and pasta from the start of this diet. I have also avoided potatoes and tried to avoid hidden sugars. I have tried to stick to natural sugars and have eaten lots of berries (especially strawberries) over the last 3 weeks.
    I have had some baked beans (for the fibre and protein) with 2 hard boiled eggs and a few mushrooms about 3 times over the last 3 weeks. Reading your post I neglected to assess the sugar level of the product and counted calories instead. I am not going to beat myself up over it though (It was lovely!).

• posted by Middleage1
    on

03/08/16

Week 4
    Day 3

Weight now: 16 stone 12 pound (107.04kg)
    BMI: 27.2

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yay! Fabulous results Middleage1! Congratulations, you must be thrilled.

Really really close to that magic 25 BMI figure!

Onwards and downwards! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by karenv
    on

Congratulations- that’s fantastic! You’re an inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Middleage1
    on

04/08/16

Week 4
    Day 4

Weight now: 16 stone 11 pound (106.59kg)
    BMI: 27.1

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Igorasusual
    Thank you for your encouragement. I am looking forward to the day that I can officially be regarded as at a healthy weight.
    All the best to you.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Karen
    Thank you for your kind words. It looks like you are doing great on the diet. You know exactly what you want and your commitment to yoga exercising is admirable. I understand about feeling tired. I have felt this on a couple of occasions but in the main I have been surprised at how much energy I have had eating fewer calories.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

2 Stones in a month is amazing! What is the secret? LOL

Started my second week. About half a pound a day lost. 36 years old and finally losing the 100+ pounds I gained in past 5 years.

There is a message for successful people like you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2vj87DRKM

Live Long And Prosper!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by Middleage1
    on

05/08/16

Week 4
    Day 5

Weight now: 16 stone 11 pound (106.59kg)
    BMI: 27.1

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi PrincetonianStud
    Thank you for the comments and video. I haven’t quite lost 2st yet. Still 5lbs to go. I have noticed a slowdown in weight loss though. 10lbs first week, 5 second, 5 third and will be happy to lose 4 this week. The first week I lost a lot of fluids and over 2-3 weeks my trips to the toilet have stabilised. I think it is my body adjusting to a new way of eating. I am certain that I will have lost the 2st over the next week or so. As long as the trend carries on downwards I am happy. Good luck with your endeavours. Live long and prosper!.

on

What an emotional comment to make back to me:

Live Long And Prosper! ๐Ÿ™‚

This is start of my 3rd week on Wednesday. I lost 5.8 the first week with a Cheshire cat smile! Then I felt depressed because my 2nd week was just 3 pounds!

I was hoping for 1 pound a day. But, it looks like 1/2 a pound a day. I guess I will have to wait for Easter Sunday to finally look like Cary Grant! yes, north by Northwest was one of my favorites. I loved the Mount Rushmore climb. Hitchcock all the way, baby!

Just came to mind some Telly Savalas because of baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hbUqhKM38

I can not believe I watch all this 60’s and 70’s shows. The acting today just sux. I actually was crying (yes, a man crying) when Downton Abbey was shutting down! That was a great show along with Poirot.

I yap too much about nothing.

Keep it up! I wish I got 2 pounds more at 5 pound. 320 pounds and losing!

Oh Yeh, one more thing (Like Columbo says):

Live Long And Prosper!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by Middleage1
    on

06/08/16

Week 4
    Day 6

Weight now: 16 stone 10 pound (106.14kg)
    BMI: 27

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi PrincetonianStud
    Just like you I prefer the programs from the 60’s and 70’s. I’m not into current programs that have to be so intense. I prefer old movies and tv series where you get drawn in by the characters. Today there is too much distracting music, car chases, explosions, noise, overacting, special effects and poor scripts.
    More modern programs like Poirot hark back to the traditional way where the acting and plots are first class.
    Don’t worry about how quickly the pounds are shifting. You are doing great.
    When I was younger my friend and I would have Star Trek indulgences where we would watch episode after episode all through the night (quite sad and illogical, I know)
    Live long and prosper!

on

Hello Fellow Trekkie:

Thanks for the encouragement. Nothing like words of wisdom from another Trekkie. ๐Ÿ™‚

Would you believe that one Friday I stayed up all night watching all 100+ Twilight Zone episodes with other Sci fi loonies? A good 10 years ago in my college days in New Jersey (Hence My user name).

I am watching ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN with Robert Redford. Watching this movie, one notices that WATERGATE SCANDAL was almost nothing compared to the many scandals today in all OECD countries. Alot changes in 40 years I guess… or got worse? ๐Ÿ™

Now Stud, this is a health forum; not one of your crazy protests on 42st Street at the UN Tower. LOL

Live Long And Prosper

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Well it’s the end of week 4. Officially the half way point in the 800 calorie diet. The loss over the 4 weeks as been 10lbs, 5lbs, 5lbs and 4lbs. I am 4lbs short of the 2st total and 1st 4lbs short of my initial goal to officially get to a healthy weight.
    I know that I will shift the 4lbs (hopefully next week) but as the weight loss appears to be slowing I am starting to think that the last stone may not have gone by the end of the official 8 weeks.
    I am not viewing this as a failure though but as a challenge to see how close I can get to 15st 7lb by the end of week 8.
    Last week felt strange in the fact I was used to seeing positive results almost every day I stood on the scales. I felt as though my weight was sticking somewhat last week. I can’t complain though as 4 pounds is almost two bags of sugar lost. Don’t know why but I keep visualising my weight loss in terms of bags of sugar!
    I have not lost any enthusiasm though and eagerly await what transpires over the next 4 weeks.
    All the best to everyone.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi PrincetonianStud
    You are right. The Watergate Scandal is small fry compared to what goes on today. But as you say this is a health forum not a sounding board on deceit and corruption!.
    All the best with your third week.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

08/08/16

Week 5
    Day 1

Weight now: 16 stone 9 pound (105.68kg)
    BMI: 26.9

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh my goodness MIDDLEAGE1 what a wonderful result in just 4 weeks! Isnt it incredible.
    I find it wonderful after the many diets losing a pound or two per week..it was such a slog.
    Tomorrow is my last day of wk4 so am looking forward to wednesday weigh in.
    By day 24 i’d lost 21 lbs so am hoping to have lost a bit more by wednesday a.m.! X

• posted by Ziggy
    on

What wonderful results in 3 weeks and just halfway through the 800 Fast.

Don’t know why you are complaining (not )about just 4 lb, 2 of my weeks were 2 lb and 1 lb and some ounces lol

You must be seeing that finishing tape in sight. 1 st 2 lbs.

Couple of questions for the great loser
    Have you increased your daily exercise?
    Have you had to switch to smaller size apparel?

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    Yes I am happy, even with a decrease in weekly weight loss. I am on the right side of the weight loss and have had no real cravings for old eating habits. I can’t look at cakes or chocolates, at the moment, without feeling slightly nauseas about the memory of how much sugar they contained when I ate them.
    I have not increased daily exercise. I have a very active job which involves constantly moving and carrying loads. I may consider some gentle running at some point.
    My trousers are now way too small for me. My belt was on the 2nd notch of 5 and is now on notch 5 but I still have to keep pulling them up. The song by Madness “Baggy Trousers” comes to mind. My xxx t-shirts have been changed to xx but even they now seem too big on me. I have good definition on my upper body and look quite skinny but I still have a bit of a belly on me.
    All the best for this week

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Yowzer49
    It sounds like you are doing brilliantly. This diet is the best you can be on. I think the big thing about this diet is the realisation that sugar is the biggest addiction to overcome.
    The only way forward is to control sugar intake and maintain a way of life diet even if not on a rapid weight loss program.
    I have come to realise that when I come to that point I can raise my calorie intake and still enjoy plenty of delicious foods without the need for hundreds of wasted calories in the form of sugar.
    I think this is the key to a happier, more fulfilling and longer life.
    My weight loss is slowing but I am confident that even if it takes another 10 weeks (not a vast amount of time in the grand scheme of things) I will reach my target weight.
    All the best to you. You will soon have shifted 2 stone and all in a matter of a few weeks. That is fantastic.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

09/08/16

Week 5
    Day 2

Weight now: 16 stone 9 pound (105.68kg)
    BMI: 26.9

• posted by Frog
    on

whew middleage – Freudian slip there in your post to Ziggy
    – your trousers ARE NOT too small – you are now too small for your trousers.
    Bin them – or Charity shop, new ones that fit immediately – show off all your hard work (or are you waiting til you;ve lost even more?

I’m happy with most of my tops when they are too big, and a bit loose – but I can’t bear wearing trousers that don’t fit!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I noticed that too Frog but his post was so happy I just let it slip – get it – slip????

My trousers are now starting to irritate me a bit, I don’t want to go down a waist size. Belt and braces methinks

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Frog
    You are right. I hadn’t noticed the slip when I posted the reply. As far as new trousers are concerned, I had made myself a promise to invest in new trousers as soon as I hit 16st 6lb (nearly there!). This was to give me extra incentive to get to the goal.
    I am no oil painting and haven’t got any vanity issues. I am happy to wear my “Baggy Pants” until I reach my initial target weight.
    I can then look forward to my new pants getting too big until I reach my next goal!.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    I like the image of irritating trousers and the sad joke about slips is just my cup of tea.
    Anyway, this subject is just pants and I think we should all belt up and brace ourselves for better suiting topics of information!!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

10/08/16

Week 5
    Day 3

Weight now: 16 stone 8 pound (105.23kg)
    BMI: 26.8

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Still
    D
    R
    O
    P
    P
    I
    N
    G

well done Middleage1

• posted by karenv
    on

You have made me think of the song ‘Baggy Trousers’ by Madness now (showing my age hahah)

Well done Middleage1! Nearly two stone and you’re not even at 5 whole weeks yet…doing brilliantly ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks karenv
    Weighed today and just one pound from losing 2 stone. Maybe tomorrow I can order my new pants and look forward to outgrowing those!.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Ziggy
    You keep me smiling with your witty approach. It is good to have a sense of humour whilst doing the diet. That and reading the positive comments on this forum have helped me carry on without faltering.
    I find your comments
    ———————————-G
    ———————————N
    ——————————–I
    —————————–T
    —————————F
    ————————-I
    ———————-L
    ——————-P
    —————-U
    Cheers

• posted by Middleage1
    on

11/08/16

Week 5
    Day 4

Weight now: 16 stone 7 pound (104.77kg)
    BMI: 26.6

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

MIDDLEAGE1 Rock n Roll! Youre doing brilliantly well! ! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by Ziggy
    on

One pound to go to the 16 stone mark – getting closer to target!

Way to lose it – middleage1

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi Yowser49 and Ziggy
    Thanks. I have officially lost 2st today. I still of bags of enthusiasm and now aim to lose another stone and arrive in the healthy weight region on the BMI scale. So onwards and downwards!.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

12/08/16

Week 5
    Day 5

Weight now: 16 stone 6 pound (104.32kg)
    BMI: 26.5

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Should have a big fireworks icon here Middleage1

2 STONE GONE
    โ‡๏ธ โ‡๏ธ โ‡๏ธ โ‡๏ธ โ‡๏ธ โ‡๏ธ
    2 STONE GONE
    2 STONE GONE
    2 STONE GONE

• posted by Middleage1
    on

13/08/16

Week 5
    Day 6

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Thanks Ziggy
    I am waiting for champagne corks popping when I hit 3st lost (obviously without drinking the champagne).

• posted by Middleage1
    on

14/08/16

Week 5
    Day 7

• posted by Middleage1
    on

It’s the end of week 5. My body seems to know that I have lost 2st and has kept me around the 16st 6lb mark for 3 days now. This is the first time this has happened over the course of the diet.
    The exact results over the past 3 days have been 16st 5.8lbs, 16st 5.4lbs and today 16st 5.6lbs. Yesterday I ate around 600 calories fully confident that today I would have shifted to 16st 5lb. I stepped on the scales today and my weight had slightly increased from yesterday.
    I am not overly worried and shall resume the calorie count today back to the 800 level. I am presuming the indifferent fluctuations over the past 3 days must be down to water retention or something similar.
    The results over the past 5 weeks have been losses of 10lb, 5lb, 5lb, 4lb and 4lb. This is fairly consistent and look forward to what the next week brings.
    All the best to everyone on the diets.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Middleage, congratulations on your great results so far!

However please don’t get too attached to the weight as is does very often plateau – and this can go on for days, and sometimes longer for people – have you MEASURED and do you gave target garments or clothes you can test yourself against?

Often if weight slows or plateaus you can see the visceral fat going by the waistband of your jeans, or you look slimmer in the face.

This has happened to loads of people here – me included – and you need to be able to measure this to keep you incentivesed if the pounds themselves stick.

Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.