8 week Fast 800 'reboot' starting 2 January 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I can report a loss of 1lb for this week which is a bit of a relief after the ups and downs I saw during the week. People say you shouldn’t weigh every day but for me it was an incentive to do better and really look at, in particular, my snacks. When I do my menus and they come out at say 650 or 700 or 750, I have never accounted for my evening snack but I know I have between 50 and 150 calories to play with. However, lets say I have a handful of nuts in the afternoon when my BG can go too low, recently I have resorted to a chocolate Roses (so full of cream something or other) to get my BG up quickly. So either of the 2 could amount to 50 / 60 calories. Then I have a Ryvita (yes a carb) with butter and a slice of ham oh, and maybe a bit of cheese and, of course, some pickle for my before bed snack to stop my BG rising during the night. Having spoken to others (Laska and the butter) I realise I am as much at fault as anyone in kidding myself that the evening snack is around 60 calories – no – the Ryvita is 30 the butter is around 35 the ham is again 35 and the pickle about 30 – whoa that is around 130 calories THEN to add a bit of cheese, maybe another 100 calories. OMG so that is where I am going wrong. Also the Ryvita being a carb might also be making me retain fluids. So, weighing myself daily has made me look at everything I put in my mouth and reassess my total calorie intake. I have been kidding myself. And, as we know, even eating 900 or 1000 calories can stunt weight loss as our bodies are used to the lower range. Slap on the wrists and a new outlook.

Can I also say that I am a slow loser – when I started this plan in June 2016 I was rigidly strict (no Ryvita) for the full 8 weeks and lost a total of 13 lbs, all around me I was seeing others losing that amount in 2 or 3 weeks. However, I also noticed that I had a total of 3 stone to lose and some had 5 or 6 or more stones and hence the bigger losses. I am sure they wont mind me saying that as we do have a LOST 100 lbs group on this site. Anyway, I also put it down to being on insulin which is known as the fat magnet and even my doctor is surprised that I am able to lose weight but still keeps nagging me to lose more. I do find that 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th on the really strict version, I do manage to have a good weight loss in the first week and then it goes in fits and starts. I think you all know my by my saying of keep on keeping on… so that is exactly what I will continue to do.

Sorry for the long post but even after 20 months I am still learning. I should also say I am half way to my 8 week goal of 10lbs but I am not going to slow down or give in to little cheats. Is anyone still doing dry January or is it an accepted part of the diet that wine has way too many calories. No alcohol for me until my birthday on 7th Feb – hint hint.

• posted by toby101
    on

“Can I also say that I am a slow loser – when I started this plan in June 2016 I was rigidly strict (no Ryvita) for the full 8 weeks and lost a total of 13 lbs”

Bad luck. You do brilliantly not to be de-motivated by that.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi S-G – I lost 15lbs in my first ever 8 weeks and was on cloud nine so I actually think that 13lbs is brilliant. Remember the tortoise and the hare.

I think that a slow loss teaches you more about yourself and your body and gives you time to adjust fully to maintenance when it comes, which is a massive challenge. I got to very near my goal weight within 3 months and maintenance has not worked for me at all, barely managing a few weeks before bad habits crept back in and the weight crept back on.

To anyone who is a slow loser, it can be discouraging to read about others’ massive weight losses but this plan is a marathon, not a sprint so just take it one day at a time and your results will be just as valid and taste just as sweet as any others – maybe even better.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

To all those struggling with plateaus and slowdowns…..there just is no predictibility is weight loss. Patience is the only option.

I have been losing pretty predictibly overall (3 lbs a week, recently aided by 2 days of fasting a week on top of 800 cals a day the other 5), but have had some short stalls followed by a bigger loss.

This week….no loss whatsoever, so I extended my fast from 2 days to 4 days. My payoff after 4 days of fasting…a total loss over the last 9 days of 1 lb. One pound ! Go figure. But there really is no alternative but to keep on keeping on. It will show up eventually, but it certainly tries your patience. And this is alcohol free and under 20 carbs a day with moderate protein.

I have also been monitoring my blood ketones these last 4 days and all readings are in the nutritional ketosis / optimal ketosis range. So fat burning IS going on. And my clothes continue to fit better . I have one “aspirational” coat that I try on every week and note how close to “full buttoning / easy drape fit” we are getting to. Improvement there as well. My scales have just NOT gotten the message.

Just saw this in the medical news this week. Reported a finding that obese subjects may have addional difficulty losing weight due to “scarring” in the fat deposits. It almost sounds like a mesh of tiny scars in fat that inhibits them from being metabolized as easily as the fat of thinner subjects. I frequently wonder about the mechanism that allows 3-5 lbs of weight to drop off overnight. If the scarring does in fact “hold it in place” even though it is weakened and riddled with holes from dieting, maybe this accounts for it finally collapsing and showing up as a big loss. Someday maybe science will figure it out.

For those interested in the article, below is an excerpt and the link:

TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT? THIS MIGHT BE WHY

” Some people find it harder to lose weight than others, but why is this? A new study has identified a molecule in fat
    cells that could be to blame.”

“On further investigation, the researchers found that the increase in … expression of a specific molecule (LOX) which
    …was driven by an increase in oxygen deprivation and inflammation in fat cells, which occurs when fat cells become
    larger.”

“Unfortunately, studies have shown that fat tissue fibrosis can make it harder for individuals to lose weight. “But this
    does not mean that scarring makes weight loss impossible,” Dr. Kos emphasizes.”

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320622.php

• posted by toby101
    on

Luvtcook, if I understand you correctly you have just had 4 days complete fasting following 3 days of 800 calories? That really does not sound at all healthy to me and your body could be reacting in all sorts of not necessarily good ways to being faced with virtual starvation.

on

Hi toby101 far from being demotivated it was a big boost to me. Being on insulin makes it doubly hard to lose weight and my doctor was thrilled that I was able to lose anything. But for me the big motivator was a BG from 190 to 80 in around 5 weeks and I still continue with that even though I have the occasional glitch over holidays. I finally lost a total of 25lbs but managed to put 10 back on with various holidays and that feeding trough called a ‘cruise’ but I am now well on my way to losing that. My BG on my HbA1c was 6.0 and that is up from 5.6 so Christmas did take its toll. I always try to live low carb but sometimes stop counting calories and have the occasional wine or vodka but hardly a piece of bread has been had and I sometimes nick a couple of oven chips from hubbys plate but no mashed or baked potatoes, rice or pasta, no matter how good it might look.

• posted by toby101
    on

Well whatever sunshine girl, your response to the condition is inspiring!

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have also gained this week, just 0.1kg, but still a gain. I have been struggling to fight a cold and very sore throat so have drunk a couple of cans of cider over the course of the week because I craved a fizzy drink to help with the sore throat, so was up slightly on carbs to my normal aim, and I and have not been as physically active as normal. So guess its not as bad as it could have been.

I have found that I am sleeping more deeply on longer than normal. Just sometimes I end up having dreams about out of control steam engines (whenever one of the cats sneaks into the house and I wake up to find him purring in my ear.)

• posted by Laska
    on

Right. other half a pound down this morning again, but so that makes 3.5 lbs , all told ( it was 3 down not 2.5 yesterday i now realise) … That’s half , half a stone.. ( sounds better eh? ) .. that half a pound may not stick ,but at least it shows I am going (snails pace) in the right direction

I have absolutely weighed every last crumb on the electronic scales today.. Ive had dinner and MFP says 746 calories .. Plain tap water ice and lime slice only this evening

I also had a headache and was really thirsty today ,, not helped in that i think i may be getting a cold.. BUT I AM DETERMINED 🙂

I have glugged loads of water today ..

I have also reminded myself that i did see 12st.12 a couple of days before I restarted this which was my Panic weight .. so if I count that it makes 5.5lbs down in two and a half weeks ..

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Toby101, not to worry. I have plenty of extra fat to sustain me. Am still over 50 lbs above my target. I did a broth fast on Day 1 and 2, I am actually doing a 5:2 style fast on Day 3 nd 4 (had about 300 – 400 calories in a flax seed toast with avocado, large green salad for supper). And per Jason Fung’s book, they often do 7 – 14 day fasts on their overweight patients. Taking vitamins daily. And feel great. If I didn’t I would stop.

The data suggests that you are actually in a pretty protected state while fasting (or near fasting). The real danger is in a chronic calorie reduction (say of 500 lbs) that does not kick your system into an autophagy mode where you actually have a rise in growth hormone, etc.

Would just like to nudge over whatever roadblock I am currently hitting. I am sure it will show up eventually….just need to be patient. So much easier said than done.

• posted by Natalie
    on

After a small loss last week and now three days at the same weight, I’m going to mix it up a bit by extending my fasting window by skipping breakfast. I don’t usually do this even though I’m not hungry in the morning, because in the past (not on BSD) if I skip breakfast I suddenly get ravenous mid-morning and make bad choices. But I’m hoping BSD changes to my body/blood sugar stability will help with that, and I have a plan for what to eat if I do get really hungry before lunchtime – not just whatever random junk I can grab quickly!. I normally eat about two hours after getting up, stretching that to five hours might be a bit much so lunch might be very early today!

But, is the general consensus that my early morning tea with a splash of milk (so I’m not fully fasting) makes this whole exercise completely pointless? Or just a bit less effective?

• posted by toby101
    on

Fair enough Lovetcook. You obviously know what you are doing!

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Happy to report a 2 lb loss this week, so down to 10st 9lb. Briefly weighed 10st 8lb just for a day on Saturday, but not getting disheartened, this works. Aiming for another 2lb next week as this will be my 2 stone weight loss milestone.

KOKO everyone, and enjoy your trip to China TC. Good luck with your goal of avoiding food with more bones than you 🤣

Thanks for posting all x

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Natalie, I fast until lunch every day and have 2 BSD friendly meals – also have tea with milk in the mornings. Have been losing 2-3lbs per week using this woe but haven’t tried to see whether I’d lose more without said tea. I’m happy with a steady loss of 2lb per week, and am probably at the halfway point until my target. May review this when I get closer to goal by mixing up some fast days.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi Natalie, just to complicate things for you, I have been doing the 16/8 pattern since the start and chose to give up milk in my tea and coffee. Apart from week 4 and last week’s (9) weirdness, I’ve been losing around 1kg a week.

I chose to give up milk so that I stayed in fast mode, fat burnng, but also because I don’t just have one cup of tea. I have tea and coffee in the morning and more tea in the afternoon and sometimes more tea mid morning. A dash of milk is around 20 calories and 2 carbs of which both are sugar. So for me, milk in tea and coffee just had to go. It took a couple of weeks to get over that particular sorrow! Now I’m a dreadful espresso enthusiast (bore) and have made a particular blend of tea leaves I can enjoy black.

I say, give going to lunchtime a try, with your tea, and just test out how that goes.

Like Sandy47 I plan to add some 24 hour fasts if things slow down and as a way of protecting my metabolism. Jason Fung is worth a read or watch on Youtubes.

• posted by Nick C
    on

Weigh in this morning showed a further loss of 3.3 lbs. Now just above the 100kg and a kiss good bye to ever seeing 16st something on my scales.

Clothes are fitting better,no bloating even after food. Less aches and pains?!? Digestion and bowls are settled which hasn’t been the case for a few years.
    These are the positives I’m also going to remember when I hit a plateau, I know it will come. Not if, just when.

But, End of week 2 and it’s a thumbs up. 👍🏻 !!
    You all stay positive.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Luvtocook, that fat cell scarring sounds like what the body builders I have been reading about call ‘marbles’ I had some of these myself along the outside of my thighs, although they have now cleared, but they felt just like little hard balls under the skin.

No loss again for me this week. These few pounds are being very stubborn, but I am still tending to eat higher carb as I work my way slowly through my Christmas favourites so this is not a shock. Although currently overweight in BMI terms, I do not seem to have put on much if any ‘size’ so still tend to think it is largely extra water, probably caused by the extra carbs. I will KOKO until the end of the reboot, but may have to get more serious with an FMD week soon, followed by an 800 week and then a full on logged reverse low carb diet to get the metabolism singing again. I need to get back into the habit of logging again every day.

• posted by Natalie
    on

The extended fast didn’t happen, my stomach was hurting by 10:30 so I ate! I don’t think skipping meals suits me at present.

But Flick, after reading your post I tried tea without milk. I like it much better! It isn’t cloying like my tea usually is. I don’t think I’ve ever tried tea without milk before, though I’ve been on and off sugar for years. I was only having a splash of milk and could never understand people who had half their cup milk, so I have no idea why I never thought to try it without any. A revelation.

Well done Nick. How exciting to be approaching the 100 kg milestone!

• posted by Flick
    on

Good to try it out though Natalie. Interestingly, I drink less tea now. Not because I like it less. I think my system has learnt it’s not going to get a sugar hit from the milk so doesn’t send me messages to drink tea.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Lol I’m the same! When I started drinking more tea I didn’t need to eat as much chocolate, whenever I stop putting sugar in tea I find myself drinking it much less (but I crave chocolate again). It’s clearly the sugar I want, not the caffeine or the tea flavour.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good morning,
    Well done, Nick, on breaking the 100kg barrier…
    Congratulations to everyone who lost this week and commiserations to those who didn’t…but let’s stick with the plan. Weight loss will happen!

I’m a day late reporting in….total loss this challenge so far is 1.4kgs so I too am still losing Christmas weight and very slowly. Hopefully next week should see an end to it. I’m longing to enter new territory.

I’m following your tea conversation with interest, Flick and Natalie. I don’t eat breakfast but I do drink tea with a little milk and lots of mugs of it. I think I’m going to have to grit my teeth and give up the milk. I drink builder’s tea so it’ll be a big change. And I really do love my tea…

Have a great week!

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi,

On the drinking tea and coffee with milk subject, I gave up milk in both years ago. It might have been the original Atkins. I now can’t stand milk in either and very rarely drink tea at all. I now overdose on Peppermint tea which keeps me wonderfully hydrated, is warm and tasty.

Looking back Atkins worked brilliantly for me and if I hadn’t allowed myself to be bullied off it be people saying it was faddy and bad for me I probably wouldn’t have diabetes today. Hey ho, can’t rewrite. Just know I’m on the right course now.

• posted by Jax51
    on

Sorry I*m a day late posting, I was feeling cross with myself ( tail between legs), as had put 1.5 lb on due to ‘stress eating anything in my path’ and 1 glass of wine at a party… the wine wasn’t the problem it was the grazing that came with it! along with lots of chatting , I was completely oblivious… learnt my lesson!, but need a plan to manage myself better on a hen party 26th…any suggestions welcome 🤓
    Well done everyone, & thank you for the posts they are so helpful.I am learning slowly that I have to keep going & not let failure take the reins. This is the only way I have ever successfully seen the scales move.
    learning that milk in your tea is 20 calories is a huge shock, I drink lemon water 1st thing & am replacing some drinks with herbal teas, but I have never counted the milk..I probably had 80 calories yesterday 😱

Can I ask at what stage do I start exercise? Straight away? I seem to remember reading to introduce it slowly?
    I walk the dogs & have started back swimming & a few weights at the gym. Id love to do Zumba but reckon I’d eat my arm after it…any thoughts?
    Wishing you all a happy ‘hump’ day from sunny Wales 🌞

• posted by Laska
    on

Oooh another pound off this morning 12.6 .. . Its starting to work!! 🙂
    Lesson learnt about weighing everything!!

on

Hi everyone, funny little coincidence this morning. Jumped on the scales and weighed in at exactly 76kg then took my BG and it was exactly 76 (4.2 in other scale). It reaches another mini goal though one I keep reaching and going back to and that is to be under 12 stone, now 11.13 1/2 lbs. Goodbye 12 I never want to see you again. Just done 30 mins HipHopAbs with Shaun T. It is a good routine as it only lasts 30 mins and you can see the timer going down. Friday is my next exercise day and will try to put in more effort – still doing arms with weights on the days I dont exercise – 100 on each arm at 2kgs.

Have a good day everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello All – I’m late checking in this week, as we didn’t come home until last night. This morning was my first weigh-in for a week and I can report that I am the same as I was last Tuesday, so nothing lost, nothing gained. I’m okay with that result, as while we have been away from home, I haven’t been weighing, measuring or as stringent as I should have been. Yesterday I know I was under hydrated, which of course doesn’t help either.

Now we are back, I can be a bit more vigilant and get back to weighing myself daily, so I have a good idea where things are headed. I’m not panicked by not having any loss this week, as I have three pounds to drop and still two months to do it. I’m aware though, that I really need to keep any complacency at bay and not allow things to slip, just because there’s not many pounds to shift.

A huge well done to all those who have successfully lost again this week and commiserations to those who were disappointed to find no loss (or even a gain) this week. Now’s the time to double down though and dig deep to make sure of a loss next Tuesday.

• posted by zolou
    on

Hi Jax51,

Steps
    ———
    The book says to record how many steps you do over a typical week, then increase by 10% a week up to 10,000 or more (p.119)

Strength
    ————–
    A few minutes first thing in the morning, at least 3 times a week – push-ups, squats, crunches, bicep curls, plank.
    One set of 10 reps each in week 1, building to 3 sets by week 4. (p.165)

High Intensity Training
    ————————————
    Three times a week.
    Warm up, then go flat out (e.g. on exercise bike) for 10 seconds, then warm down
    In week 1, just do 1 burst; gradually build to 2 or 3 20 second bursts by week 8. (p. 170)

HTH! I also checked to see if there is a particular recommendation for frequency of mindfulness practice, but I don’t think there is.

I’m happily consolidating my losses today – got into the healthy weight range a couple of days ago (yay!) and under eleven stone yesterday (double yay!!)

Congratulations to everyone for continuing to show up – it’s great reading the posts and getting involved in everyone’s stories (Laska – great news!)

I got into the habit of one particular breakfast and when I reviewed it it was about 50 calories more than I thought – oops! Possibly just variation between ingredients used by me and whoever works out the recipes.

KOKO and keep on reviewing!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello all

Well I’m doing ok on the carb front – not so calorie wise though. Yesterday turned out to be a disaster (although kept under 50g carbs). However, not one to dwell on my pitiful performance, today I started the day at 6am with a 5k run (you heard it here first). After that I fasted until 1pm (having eaten at 7pm last night so 18 hours) and have had a total of 528 calories and 2.8g carbs so far today. Dinner is Hungarian goulash and then swiftly to bed to try to combat the after dinner munchies!

If I can also wade in on the tea front – I can’t drink black tea so when I started BSD I tried a few herbal teas – having NOT been a fan before. I found licorice and peppermint tea and haven’t really looked back. The licorice gives it just a hint of natural sweetness and I have one in the evening after dinner most nights. I only drink one cup of ‘normal’ tea a week, as a treat on a Sunday morning – a splash of milk and (shock horror!) a sweetener!! Maybe this is the route of all my problems, but I doubt it!

China looms – now THERE’S a nation obsessed with tea…..

• posted by Laska
    on

OK I am reporting in at 84 calories over and 4 hours to bedtime.. so i need to be accountable for not eating any more today .. I do feel a bit like i am coming down with a cold though so will go to bed early especially as I will be stuck in a conference room all day tomorrow . I cant get out of this,..luckily as its local government i work in there no lunches provided.. I will take a little something diet friendly – probably eggs – and eat that lunchtme ..

• posted by Mrs getting there
    on

Hi all, I haven’t had a chance to read everyone’s post yet, that’s my bedtime treat tonight ! But I weighed in a day late this morning at 155lbs so that’s another 2lbs off this week which I’m so pleased with. I’m just chipping away bit by bit and really trying to stay as motivated and positive as I go. Good luck everyone x

• posted by Jax51
    on

Zolou thanks for that breakdown. I’ll get my pedometer/sleep monitor in use again and start recording.
    I didn’t end up doing Zumba tonight as have come down with a nasty sore throat..but I did walk the dogs, correction the new 5/12 old pup Merlin walked me in the woods for 90 mins.
    Topcac I love the peppermint & liquorice too, amazing how sweet it tastes! I’m not sure how good these flavoured green teas are for me but I have a salted caramel bag here to try, &the chocolate coconut tea was pleasant. Pushing the water today & steamed red cabbage with stir fry for tea, yum

• posted by Natalie
    on

This morning, still half asleep, I was thinking about how I wasn’t going to put milk in my tea any more…. and I forgot to put in tea! Found myself staring down at a delicate cup of pure water.

Scales finally on the move today, nice visit from the whoosh fairy so I’m happy.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all. Late posting. I weigh exactly the same as I did last week. I had dropped 2 lbs during the week but went back up. Portion size is the issue I believe. I feel good physically. No bloating so I shall continue. Feel more comfortable in my clothes. Continued success everyone.

• posted by Nick C
    on

Another Wednesday & another HIIT session, could of easily not gone this evening but I dragged my sorry backside to class. The routines change every 6 weeks, all start with a vigorous warm up before going straight into a set of 10 x 30 seconds exercises.
    Burpees, various crunches, spider-man push ups, Burpees with push ups & planks, I can handle the planks but the rest are horrible!!!!
    Once that’s done, its gloves on and a good bag bashing with a further 4 sets of 10 of pure insanity.

Compared to last week definitely better in terms of pace, energy & strength, absolutely nothing left in the tank though by the end and took most of the warm down stretches to recover my breathing and get a clear head.
    But i did it, like i always do. It isn’t easy far from it, takes you really out of your comfort zone.

First meal today was not until 17:30/18:00 when i got in from work, bowl of homemade broccoli & stilton soup with some chicken breast. Tonight a small plate of cold meats, piece of feta & walnuts. Water intake is really good and is becoming second nature.

Well that’s me, time for bed!

• posted by Flick
    on

Natalie, that is hilarious and good news from the scales!

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Morning all,

Nick well done on the HIIT, that sort of exercise is what I haven’t managed to do yet. My daily exercise is reasonable, lots of walking and daily activity, but I really want to get to pushing myself harder.

Another lb loss today, that’s 2 in 2 days so the whoosh fairy has visited.

Can I have some advice from old hands please. On Saturday I’m going to a meal for my close friends. I know I’ll go over 800 calories, but I’ve reviewed the menu and chosen delicious low carb options, and I plan to fast for the rest of the day and the next day. My dilemma is that we are meeting for a Prosecco first and I have mentally allowed myself 1 glass of fizz and one glass of wine with the meal and I’m worried that if I haven’t eaten all day the alcohol will go straight to my head. Any advice for non carb ways to line my stomach before leaving the house. I thought about a teaspoon of coconut oil, but that’s quite high calories.

on

Another day and another success. Now under the dreaded 76kgs and also under 12st. Great incentive to make the rest of the week as successful. Have a good day everyone.

Victoria, About the wine, if you have only been on this diet and alcohol free for 2 or so weeks then it is not going to go straight to your head. However, how about making it go further and have the prosecco and a wine spritzer with dinner, you might be able to have 2 spritzers if that is the equivalent of one whole glass.

on

Just a quick question. I have finally bought some coconut oil based on the research on Trust Me with MM. How do you get past the smell and taste of coconuts. Dont get me wrong, I like the taste but not necessarily in my omelette or bolognaise.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done s-g just have to follow your own advice and keep on keeping on……

I don’t think you can get past the smell and taste of coconut oil. I bought some ages back and to be truthful it only suits my palate if I use it in a Thai curry!! Maybe we should follow Theo’s advice and use it as face/body cream….. just reminds me of Hawaiian Tropical sun oil! It just isn’t for me in any shape, way, or form. Sorry to all lovers of coconut oil.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice sunshine-girl, I’ll take it and go with the spritzer and sip not guzzle!

On coconut oil, I love it, and enjoy it in lemony salad dressings which make me think I’m somewhere warm and exotic. Cooking wise, I do restrict it to high flavour, spiced or garlicky meals so the flavour doesn’t come through. For more delicate flavours I use olive oil.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Sunshine Girl and Verano – I so agree! I tried an omelette today with it and yuck yuck yuck! Butter or olive oil for me for now I think. I probably used too much. But quite nice if you fry up just veg and meat and it becomes part of the dish. It’s way better in baked goods like nut crackers, I think.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie,

Anyone looking into the benefits of coconut oil may want to also search for information on the different acids, for example, there has been lots of research into the components of milk which help the young of each species develop their gut bacteria.

Lauric Acid which is one of the components of coconut oil is so effective in controlling Staphylococcus and Streptococcus, (bad bacteria) that there has been research into the benefits of adding it to the diet of diary cattle to reduce the incidence of mastitis needing treatment with antibiotics. http://www.dairyglobal.net/Articles/General/2015/9/Mastitis-control-starts-with-a-healthy-udder-2671613W/

Caprylic Acid has benefits in controlling yeast infections as well as controlling the same bad bacteria.

Capric Acid has benefits in the same area.

There was some research mentioned in The Times yesterday that found that mothers who breastfed for more than 6 months didn’t suffer from diabetes, and those who breast fed for less than 6 months had lower levels of diabetes than women who had not breast fed their children. All three acids are found in milk, more in human milk than diary. Makes me wonder if in producing the milk the mothers body also benefits from increased levels.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Like many others, I don’t much like the taste of coconut oil for general cooking, but find it works fine for curries and the like. We all have our flavour likes and dislikes though. Some people have been enthusing about liquorice teas, I’m a huge fan of herbal teas, but very much dislike all the ones containing liquorice. I’m not sure what it is about it in tea, as I’m okay with liquorice sweets (not that I actually eat such things anymore).

Scales were kind to me today, but I’m not reporting any results until Tuesday next week. We have a meal out with friends tomorrow evening and the weekend in between now and then, so not counting any chickens! Suffice to say I’m content with how things are going at the moment.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks Jgwen, your research is consistent with what I’ve read
    also. Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial, and was actually used
    as such to treat wounds in war theaters. Our skin is teeming
    with bacteria, so it can be very helpful in that capacity as well.
    After taking IV as well as oral antibiotics for 8 years, I developed
    systemic candida which manifested as raised, itchy scaley patches
    on my back. Using coconut oil, although rather messy, has
    cleared the condition up by 90%! Some people swear by oil
    pulling with it for a cleaner mouth and healthier gums. Thanks
    for the link 🙂

Allie

on

I remember many years ago when I was 16 I read about the wonders of coconut oil for the hair. I washed my hair before bed and following the instructions from my Diana magazine, slathered it with the oil and wrapped a warm towel around my head and went to bed like that. Yes, I was supposed to leave it on overnight (I think). Got up early to wash my hair and after about 3 or 4 washes and rinses had to go to work with hair like rats tails for about 3 days until I could get it out. Never used it on my hair again.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I haven’t used coconut oil yet, but I’ve done some reading on the subject and many people report that refined coconut oil is neutral in flavor. No suntan lotion omelette syndrome. It also has a higher smoke point, so is more versatile for roasting, baking, etc. If you buy it organically made (no chemicals, additives, anything shady), there is no difference between the MCT/lauric acid content in refined oil vs. virgin.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Many years ago we had a boxer dog who required surgery and we were told to put coconut oil around the stitches as it was antibiotic but also dogs aren’t keen on the taste so it stops them licking and picking at the stitches. Seemed to work but not sure about the dietary impact though

• posted by zolou
    on

Going to post my week’s results here, since this thread is where I seem to be hanging out more these days. Friday is week review day for me, bucking the Tuesday trend!

So, just completed week 3. Over the week, as planned I got the steps in (average 11,400), did yoga each morning and did HIT 3 times. Stuck to low-carb and pretty much within calorie count (average just over 800). It all went fine, except that yesterday I was light-headed, weak and irritable as well as a bit headachy (for the first time). Presumably because I’d had only a bag of peanuts for dinner the night before – so now I know that that’s not a sustainable approach! I went for a walk anyway, which was actually really nice, though I wasn’t quite in control of my feet!

Over the week I lost 3.4lb – better than the previous week’s loss of 3.2lb, to my surprise. That meant I hit a lot of milestones – inside healthy weight range, under 11 stone and one stone lost in all since the start.

Waist measures 40.5 inches, so actually up .5 inch since last week. Was 44″ at the start. The aim of half my height would be 33″. I’m not worried about the lack of progress there, it just means it’s important to keep going.

I’m now 153.2lb. Would love to get under 150, so that’s the milestone I’m shooting for next, but also grateful to consolidate the place I’m in, which already feels way better, though I’ve probably got another 20lb to lose.

Loving being on this journey together, all!

Please log in or register to post a reply.