8 week Fast 800 'reboot' starting 2 January 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by marie123
    on

Zolou – I bet it was lovely hitting all those milestones – made me smile just reading about them. x

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

Been manic at work and have tried to be really good this last couple of days and have been! (Miracle in itself..)

Resulting weight loss has been encouraging and I won’t be able to weigh myself again until next Saturday (off to China), although last time I went I had a pair of scales in my room! Will probably steer clear of them though as it won’t be consistent plus flight bloat etc etc. So – lots of good reasons to stick to it – if all else fails I can eat raw fish…

Zoulou – many congratulations on all those milestones. And after only three weeks – awesome! and so encouraging for you – well done.

Anyway, China has a weird way of censoring certain websites so I’m not sure this’ll get through the great firewall of China. Just in case it doesn’t, Adios all.

Be good and KOKO!

• posted by Laska
    on

yes yes yes.. happy dance.. 🙂 another 1lb down.. (wel,l 1 and a quarter but thats probably a cup of tea’s worth) .. SO it ^is^ working for me again.. . I’ve lost half a stone now from my Arggghhhh!!! weight and 5lb ‘officially’ from the Tuesday we restarted!.. .

Remember …weigh your food !!

• posted by Laska
    on

*topac* China.. how exciting.. Is this a holiday or work? Yes fish and veggies are probably your friend..

• posted by Laska
    on

Anyone know how you Bold /Italic things on this website ?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

No to the bold, italics, the usual method doesn’t seem to work.

Weight same as yesterday, so very happy with that. BG is still around 4.5 and I have reduced insulin from 29 units to 26. Will stick at that for a few more days. Skipped breakfast this morning as we slept in so will be having feta and raspberry salad for lunch and planning a vegi curry for dinner. I am starting to get sick of the usual veg of the cooking type. I always buy courgettes and red peppers for my salads but getting sick of leeks and carrots with hot dinners. Any ideas. I have bought a head of celeriac and I have mashed aubergine in the freezer. I suppose it is the time of the year but all I see in the supermarket are turnips, swedes, squashes and so on.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hi Sunshine girl…I understand what you’re saying about ringing the changes re vegetables. I have recently fallen in love with roast cauliflower and roast cauliflower steaks which have fewer carbs than carrots and parsnips. Both can be gussied up with herbs or spices…We also love caramelised brussels sprouts and mushrooms but go easy on the butter…

I use diet doctor as a source of side dish recipes and a new to me site called I breathe I’m hungry whi h someone put on the Take A Look thread. They have some great ideas for low carb vegetable side dishes…

Angela

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello sunshine-g I have tried the roasted garlic mushrooms from the website that came from Luvtcook but is posted, as said , on the Take a look thread. Think it’s 150 sides. The mushrooms were lovely but that leaves another 149 to try! Why not have the courgettes hot in a tomato, or other, sauce. I make a mixture of fried shallots, peppers and mushrooms, maybe with some chilli sauce. I have also tried the courgette patties from the above mentioned website and they were also good. I often keep leftover vegetables and make them into patties either fried in a little oil or baked in a loaf tin. Hope this helps a little.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I go for various green beans – stringless, runner, dwarf – and sugar snaps, mange tout, baby corns; cauli, broccoli and leafy veggies. Recently, I made some braised celery, which was yummy and made an interesting change from the usual veggies. I love leeks au gratin, but leeks are a bit carby, so I tend to only have them very occasionally. Also sometimes make veggie patties, ringing the changes as to what veg, herbs etc. go into each batch.

on

I do eat a lot of cauliflower but getting a bit sick of it. I dont count carbs to the extent that I dont eat carrots (6g per 100g carbs) I just dont eat white carbs or MOST underground veg. Mushrooms are a staple but usually for breakfast or with a steak. Making a curry tonight using celeriac, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms, onion and canned tomatoes. I think beans are in season – dont forget in France if it is not in season you cant get it – and also platt, the flat beans. Need to go to Grand Frais (a giant veg emporium) to get some inspiration.

• posted by zolou
    on

Saw the courgette pattie idea and immediately googled to find out how they’re made. With only the vaguest idea, I then rushed to the kitchen and improvised – in a bowl went a grated courgette, a grated carrot, 100g cottage cheese, 15g parmesan, 2 eggs, some salt and some chilli flakes. I then cooked it in blobs in the sandwich toaster. The excess liquid took a while to evaporate off, but when it did, they were yum! Served with greek yogurt. I reckoned it at about 400 calories. So had dinner early. Oh well!

• posted by Verano
    on

Zolou I think you need to salt the courgettes and leave for an hour or so then squeeze out the liquid then they won’t be as wet. And maybe just one egg. Think it may be a little bit of trial and error.

S-g I came across a cauliflower hummus recipe today but I’m not sure if that isn’t just one step too far!!! I now use shredded white cabbage instead of rice with curry and I find that works really well. Good luck with jiggling your veggies about.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Well done Zolou, you must be feeling great! I’m glad you mentioned the courgette pattut idea, was just sitting here trying to think what to make today! Have been eating so much cabbage and cauliflower and I need a change!
    Verano, I’ve also been making the garlic roast mushrooms from the website, they are phenomenal! And i can recommend the cabbage ‘steaks’ to you both, the accompanying sauce is so, so good. I use an eschalot instead of an onion for a more delicate taste but any way you make it will be delicious!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Sunshine-girl, I am having a similar issue at the moment if I want to eat fresh seasonal and local. I know freezers are not super common in France, but I am eating out of my freezer at the moment. I have asparagus, broccoli, green beans, courgette, etc. that I froze when they were in season. For fresh veg, I am eating a fair bit of cabbage at the moment. One thing that we are lucky to have here is a lot of different types of sprouts. Mung bean sprouts work well for cooked dishes; quite nice in stirfry with baby corn, but also nice in things like curries. I can get them in the supermarket, but you can also sprout your own on the counter quite easily. I am also about to start a batch of mixed sprouts to be used in salads. On the fruit side we are lucky to have local kiwifruit at the moment although they will soon be finished. I’m enjoying the odd one of those.
    A few more weeks and there should start to be some salad greens and mustard greens coming available, especially if you have growers nearby that use polytunnels. I have been known to consume quite large quantities of nettles in the spring as they come up before a lot of the garden vegetables and are very nutritious.

on

I watched Saturday Kitchen and have half a celeriac in the fridge so I am going to roast it in the oven when I cook a chicken tomorrow. Weight is the same today but BG is quite low at 3.8 so will reduce insulin AGAIN tonight. This is going so well. Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Good news on your blood sugars sunshine girl. Well done. I’m full of lurgy and a sore throat so q miserable bunny at the mo. Will weigh in as usual on Tuesday but not being too diligent!

• posted by JulesP
    on

Hi all, I haven’t posted for a week as I’ve totally gone to pot again, when I fall off the wagon I’m often too ashamed to go near the forums. Esnecca, I’ve tickled that poor dragon’s tail until it has screamed for mercy! Mydaughter went back to uni a week ago so comfort eating seems to have set in, an absolute carb fest, too much to mention. Every morning I tell myself this is the day I get back on it and usually have a decent lunch then go mad for rubbish food the rest of the day. So, obviously no longer in the 9’s. Hopefully posting and coming clean in here will help me back onto track. I’m now going to treat myself to a week’s worth of catch up on your posts, lovely silver lining. Hope you’ve all been doing well. Jx

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s excellent, sunshine-girl! It’s obvious that you’re really focused, which must feel wonderful 🙂 You are one
    of my “go to” ladies when I want to increase my knowledge of how to manage T2D. It’s a miracle that I was
    neither pre diabetic or diabetic, but have to put it down to genetics alone (no history on either side of my family).
    There has been some recent conversation on the threads about whether this diet is intended for control of blood
    sugar vs. weight loss. As someone who was previously morbidly obese, I’m sure that I would have eventually been
    pre diabetic, so it all seems like a moot point to me. The BSD is the way to success, either way 🙂 🙂 🙂 I really admire
    all of you ladies that have, or have reversed T2D. It’s quite an achievement!

on

Thanks allie and tilly – I am really motivated although I could have really done with a drink last night. When you are not drinking you suddenly notice all the booze that sloshes around on TV programmes, but kept to my promise. I asked all my FB friends who was still doing dry January and besides me and hubby we have one friend and her husband. Everyone else has given in, that’s why people cant lose weight. When the plan (whatever it is – drink or food) is not so terribly important as to affect health and wellbeing and if they give up after a couple of weeks, so what. Then they moan about not being able to do it (whatever IT is). That is why we should be so proud of ourselves, we are still here, still doing it.

Weight is still the same but that is not a problem – on a normal weekend it would have gone up a bit with one cheat or another. But because I know I am sticking with it I know it will shift soon. BG is 5.2 after reducing insulin again so will stick with 26 units (was 29) for a few days until it settles and starts to go down again.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JulesP, this is the right place to come when things have got away from you. Don’t beat yourself up about the transgression, as that just brings with it more negativity and is a waste of energy. Now is the time to forgive yourself, regroup and refocus, ready to make a fresh start. You KNOW you can do this and WE know you can too. Hope you will soon have your mojo back and will be reporting being in the 9s again.

sunshine-girl, all power to you for sticking with the no alcohol plan and congrats on getting your BS and insulin down again too.

I’m a little miffed today, as all I had yesterday (apart from water and teas) was 300ml almond milk, five almond crackers with a little butter and some marmite and approx. 200ml kefir. Result? A gain of 0.2lb this morning! I know of course that it is just one of those little scales anomalies, but it does beg the question WHY? Anyway, confident it will disappear in the next 24 to 48 hours and I will be able to report a loss on Tuesday.

Have a restful Sunday everyone.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve been struggling with depression lately and I suspected it was the low carb. I have a history of being miserable on low carb (the diet I was on to lose weight for my wedding, for example, six weeks of hell) but you always wonder if maybe you were just doing it wrong or something, BSD seems magical for other people, maybe it’s just carb flu and will get better etc, so I gave it another go. And ended up sitting staring at the walls this week, feeling disconnected from life, unable to enjoy anything, worrying my husband by acting like a zombie. I did some research and low carb seems to help mood in many people but cause depression in others so I guess I’m one of the others. I increased carbs over the weekend and I feel so much better now! Life is bright again instead of foggy.

I will still be here, but no longer trying to keep carbs under 50. Just keeping calories 800-1000. And of course increasing carbs doesn’t mean biscuits and cake! Just a bigger variety of veges and fruit, quinoa, maybe some pulses.

Some of you may feel I’ve failed, that I’m doing it wrong, that I should have tried even lower carbs and stuck with it and it would have got better as it did for them…. but we are all different and I have to do what is healthy for me.

Increasing carbs a bit over the weekend (you can’t have much on 800 cals!) hasn’t hurt my weight loss this week, in fact by Friday morning I’d only lost 0.2 kg this week but lost another 0.5 kg over the weekend! Total 0.7 kg loss and I’m down to 72.9 kg.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Natalie I think you Re to be applauded for recognising and understanding what you need and also for not just stuffing your face for a short term fix, but taking a measured approach. Glad it helped and you are feeling chirpy again. Keep on keeping on, I say, any way that works for you, and keep on posting too, especially as we may actually be living parallel lives in different hemispheres! xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Natalie, no one here should think you have failed! You have given it a go and recognised a trigger. You have to deal with life your own way and NO ONE can tell you you are wrong (unless you are damaging other people). I for one wish you good luck. As I have said before…Michael Moseley does not say we should keep carbs below any figure, just to cut out Rice, Pasta, Potatoes and Bread. You go girl, you have this sussed.

Best wishes,
    Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Natalie, please don’t feel that you’ve failed! You are very wise to understand that low carbing has a paradoxical
    effect on your emotional health. I’m sure that those that love you would never want you to be miserable. One
    size definitely doesn’t fit all, and we all hope that you find the balance that is the most beneficial to you. Please
    keep in touch with us; we’d miss you if you left the forum!

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

There’s no failure in understanding your body and what it needs. Whilst the basic BSD formula works, we all need to find a way to make it work for us, in harmony with our bodies and lifstyles. For some that means keeping carbs sub 20g, for others it means running with carbs higher than that. For some, it means religiously weighing, measuring and recording, for others a more relaxed approach. For some it means completely cutting out alcohol, for others it means the occasional glass of wine.

Bottom line is, if what you are doing is working for you, that’s complete success. So Natalie, there’s no failure or shame in deciding to take a slightly different approach. You’ve recognised a very legitimate health issue and taking action to rectify it – all power to you and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hey Natalie, I firmly believe our mental health and well being is as precious as our physical health. So hats off to you for taking prompt action to protect it. And how boring if we were all the same! I for one love reading all the diverse and creative approaches on this forum and look forward to hearing about how you go jiggling it up. And It will be so useful for others who have the same reaction to low carbing! GO YOU!

And huge congrats on this weeks weight loss. Into the 72s! 🌟🌟🌟👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks so much for the support everyone! I should have known I wouldn’t get any condemnation here. I’m feeling so much happier today, and good about the weight loss too. Not far to go before I get into ‘overweight’ instead of ‘obese’, that will be a major milestone.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Natalie

Just wanted to add my voice to the others. There’s no failure in what you are saying; I admire you for saying it like it is so openly and honestly. Also, you’ve worked out a better way forward for you, and as SunnyB says, that’s a complete success!

I’ve been on BSD for nearly six months and have been doing OK. But early January I hit a brick wall. For whatever reason, I had no energy, was constantly tired, just didn’t feel well. So, I decided to up my calories for a while and accept that the weight loss would probably slow down. Truthfully, I was a bit disappointed because I just wanted to plough on through to my goal weight – no slowing down, no stopping. But as you say we are all different, what works for some doesn’t work for others. Well done you for paddling your own canoe!

• posted by Verano
    on

Natalie I would just like to second and agree with all that SunnyB has written above. Rather than be a ‘failure’ you are showing great strength of mind and character. You aren’t giving up you are just finding ‘your way’. Best of luck and keep posting if it helps you …. we are all doing it ‘our way’!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Morning, all!

Hi Marie – I haven’t seen you out and about as much as usual
    lately, or maybe I’m not looking in the right places? I’m sorry
    that you haven’t been feeling well. Do you think it’s the diet?
    And more importantly, are you feeling better with the changes
    you have made in your plan?

Best wishes,

Allie

on

Hi all, lost a tiny little smidge this morning so hopefully on my way to a loss for tomorrow.

Can I add my thoughts here for Natalie. First of all, if the diet is making you feel bad it is good that you have recognised it and, rather than abandoning it completely, adjust it to suit your own needs. However, I have one small observation. You have recently been taking Duromine and it is possible that the symptoms you are experiencing are the side effects from that drug. Besides digestive problems like bloating, cramps, nausea, vomiting etc., they are also a big cause of headaches, loss of concentration, fuzziness in the head and depression. Maybe when this is completely out of your system you will start to feel much better. There is also the point that a lot of us feel down at this time of year when it is wet and cold but hey ho, you are in Australia and slap in the middle of summer. Get yourself outside, get some fresh air and exercise and try to lift the depression you are feeling. Take care.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie – I’m good, thanks, old timer. In fact, after almost 3 weeks of no loss over the last few days I’ve lost a lb a day so I’m delighted this morning – good news for tomorrow’s weigh-in.

Yes, I’m feeling better than I was. I’ve upped my calories to 1000 (give or take a few) and more importantly I’ve been eating a wider range of foods than I was in November & December. The positive of slowing things down slightly is it gives me more time to adjust to this way of life for the long-term. I’ve lost the majority of the weight I needed to lose so while I’m not at maintenance (still got between 11lbs – 18lbs to lose) I feel like it’s helping me prepare for maintenance, if that makes sense.

I’ve not been on the computer the last couple of weekends so probably haven’t posted as much, but life’s still good. xxx

Hope this week goes well for everyone.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Nathalie – I also want to say congratulations on recognising the issue and doing what is right for you to make you feel well and happy! I hope each day from now on, you feel better and better! 🙂

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks all. Sunshine-girl the Duromine was my first thought as a culprit but it didn’t make sense that I would get depressed now after so long. And I felt better within 48 hours of increasing carbs a bit so that seemed a strong indication to me. And low carb has made me miserable before. Of course it’s possible that I missing some essential vitamin/mineral by eating a restrictive diet rather than carbs themselves. I will continue to experiment (for the rest of my life, no doubt!) with various food combinations and calorie/carb levels. But I feel great today!

Only a couple of people have noticed that I’ve lost more than 10 kg. On Sunday night at dinner, someone I see every week noticed I wasn’t eating dessert (as I haven’t for most of the past five months or so except for Christmas!) and asked if I was on a diet. I said yes. Later as she was leaving she wished me good luck with the diet. Sigh. I mean, yes, thanks, but can’t you see how skinny I am (relatively) already!!!!!

• posted by Clare07866
    on

Good Morning. How are the scales treating everyone today?
    I’m very happy with my 3lb loss this week and that also makes it 1 stone in total. That’s 1 down 4 to go! and for the first time actually feels achievable. 🙂
    Hope everyone has a great day and I look forward to reading your successes this week.

• posted by Antigone
    on

How exciting Clare – a real triumph! Natalie – ditto everyone else – so pleased you are pro actively moving forward. I Have a bit of catching up on posts to do…..

• posted by Laska
    on

Just a quick pop in to record my week 3 results of a 4lb loss which I am thrilled with after a very slow start..

That makes 8.5 pound off my Arrrrgh! Weight..
    (Im now counting that rather than my ‘official’ start weight if 1.5 lbs down a few days later because, yes I lost that also !! )

Weighing and measuring, weighing and measuring.. thats going to be my mantra from now on ..Ive certainly realised something about portion sizes!..
    Back later to catch up and hopefully congratulate you all.. 🙂

• posted by Clare07866
    on

Well done Laska. Great result 🙂

• posted by toby101
    on

Hi all

Great to read of everyone’s successes, and the support offered to those that temporarily stumble.

Weekly report – 1.5kg down this week – 3 weeks in down from 101.6 to 94.7: 6.9kg in total: over a stone!

Very happy with that as I am afraid there has been some cheating, particularly with wine although have been ploughing through C25k and NHS fitness and flexibility programme which I think is helping

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well done Clare, Laska and Toby. Laska leave that arrrrgh! Weight far behind.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Morning everyone.

2lbs loss this week which I’m pleased with. I had hoped for 3, but if it settles down to regular 2 I’ll be happy.

Two NSV this week. Went out for a meal with friends (first on on strict BSD) and stuck to the plan, AND had a lovely meal and didn’t feel deprived thanks to advice from you guys.

Secondly have spent 3 days in dressing rooms and back stage for our am dram production surrounded by chocolate, cakes and sweets, with “kind” people telling me I’ll soon work it off on stage, and not eaten a single carb. Only 5 more to go.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hallo all on the reboot challenge. Many congrats to Clare, Laska, toby101, and Victoria M on your losses today.

My goal on 2 January was “My start weight for this reboot is 83.1 kilos (down 7.4 from my start under the 4 week October 2017 challenge and a wobble at Christmas). My goal is a healthy BMI (79 kilos) by end Feb. A bit of wriggle room would be nice, but probably not realistic!”

Today I am 79.4 kilos – I have had to stick an extra page on my weight loss graph (very high tech!) since I thought I wouldn’t reach the 79s until middle of Feb. 1 kilo off this week and within shouting distance of my BMI. Really pleased. This week I really will dust off the exercise DVD….

Very best wishes to all as we head towards halfway on the challenge!

• posted by Clare07866
    on

Well done Victoria, great work sticking to the plan in testing circumstances.
    Toby great work and it looks like the cheating is being contained with losses like that.
    Caronl that is brilliant! I’m a long way off my target BMI. you will have lots of wiggle room by the end of Feb.

keep up the hard work guys 😉

on

hello everyone, feeling very happy today. Lost 2.5lbs this week, making a total of 7.5lbs. This means I have only 2.5lbs to go to my 8 week goal of 10lbs. I know I am not a fast loser but put it partly down to the insulin which I have reduced from 29 units to 26 and watching my BG settle nicely at 5.0. Had a nice reminder this morning, I went to the diabetic specialist opticians and he asked my what my last HbA1c was and I said 6.0 – he said great because it was 8.2 last time I saw you. I am supposed to see him annually but he is so busy it has been around 19 months and that is just before I started on this plan. I told him it was because I had really bad advice from a nutritionist who put me on 300g of carbs daily. Can you believe that, looking at what we do here, no wonder my bloods results went to pot.

Still doing dry January and hoping to keep to it, just 9 more evening to go. Have a good week everyone. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Everyone,

Loss for this week is only 0.9kg. Was hoping for more especially as the previous week was a stall week.

If things don’t improve this week I will start researching 16:8 or 17:7 intermittent fasting to add to the mix. – My inner butterfly wants me to reach a point it can emerge when its time to put away the winter woollies.

on

JGwen that is just under 2lbs so not to be sniffed at. I lost 4 in week one, then only 1 in week 2 but 2.5 this week, so keep at it, it does happen.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Some fab results being posted here again. Well done everyone reporting any kind of loss, even if it’s not as much as you might want right now – it all counts no matter how great or small. Natalie, people are strange aren’t they? We ate out with friends last w/e and admittedly we haven’t seen them in a while, but last time we met I was down by around 2st and they said nothing. This time, suddenly they noticed I was smaller and asked if I’d been dieting, how much I’d lost and how I’d done it. Admittedly I’m almost another stone lighter than last time we saw them, but one has to wonder why they didn’t seem to notice last time we met.

Anyway, I’m happy to report a loss of 1.2lb this week, which I’m pretty pleased with, as this leaves me 1.8lb to go to get to my new target weight. Would like to think that will happen over this next week, but as a slow loser, I’m not going to get ahead of myself by assuming it will happen. Will be giving it my very best shot though …. and if it takes a little longer, I can live with that.

To this who haven’t posted results yet, hope they’ll be good ones, but to anyone disappointed with no loss or even a small gain, don’t be disheartened. It will all come right at some point.

• posted by Nick C
    on

Afternoon all,
    It’s great reading all these posts showing further loses, really well done. Never been so happy for people i actually don’t know!
    Personally i just feel better, my body feels better, my gut seems happier in what it’s now just receiving. That to me counts as high as losing any weight.

Another 2.5lbs off this week, now only 1.5lbs until a stone lost!!!!!!!!! Yes, yes, yes…
    Under the 100kg mark, never again will i be three digits in KG.

I walk with a smile today! Let’s keep going people!!!

Nick

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done Nick, I reckon you be beyond your stone lost by this time next week. All power to you!

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Just dropping in to report another 2lb weight loss this week, taking me to 2st total loss, yay!

Goal for end of this challenge was to get to 10st, so 7lb to go. Let’s wait and see. Well done everyone, great to read all your posts x

Please log in or register to post a reply.