8 week Fast 800 'reboot' starting 2 January 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Congrats JulesP!

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Good morning and thank you Esnecca and marie123. You made my morning both of you, and strengthened my resolve! I have slightly watery eyes in a good way, you guys are wonderful.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone – MnM, as predicted last night the quarter of a pound has gone along with it another whole pound so I am on the move again. Also, as predicted, when I have a weight loss I have an increase in BG and today it was up from 5.5 on Thursday to 6.1 this morning. Again, quite insignificant figures but useful to know these things about your own body. JulesMaigret I only mention the 1/4 of a pound as I weigh in kilos and then do the calculation into stones and pounds.

Hope everyone is keeping on keeping on…

• posted by toby101
    on

Interesting discussion re small temporary weight gain. I certainly wasn’t suggesting people would want to eat below their maintenance calorie for ever!

As always, inspiring stuff. I am having difficulty being as strict as my last attempt, particularly with wine, but I have to say weight seems to be coming off just as quick, perhaps because I have thrown exercise (C25k plus lunchtime walks) into the mix…

on

Oh toby wine, wine, WINE, whatever happened to dry January 🙂

• posted by toby101
    on

I think to be honest a couple of glasses of wine are necessary for me to make the whole thing bearable! Better this diet with the odd glass of wine than no diet…

• posted by Clare07866
    on

I’m attempting dry January but I do miss my glass of wine (or 2) on a Friday and Saturday night.

on

when I do the whole fast800 think properly I go completely alcohol free and the dry January is a big help to me because hubby if following it too. There have been other years when he hasn’t but his last blood test showed raised triglycerides and raised glucose although not quite pre-diabetes or liver disease just something he needs to do something about. It used to be hell when he savoured a nice glass of whiskey on a Saturday night – although not my tipple it still made me want a drink. Lets hope he lasts out, I’m sure I will as I am so determined to get this right.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Toby, a glass of wine a day will not damage your weight loss, providing you log the cals and carbs contained therein and include them in your daily allowance.

When I was wanting to lose weight (in maintenance now for over 8 months) I went totally alcohol free, but since reaching target (in fact half a stone under) I now have wine on Fri/Sat/Sun. We live a very sociable life, and these are the days we tend to be out with friends, wining and dining etc. So far at least it hasn’t caused my weight to increase.

O/H has done dry January for 20 years, and I joined him last year obviously (though I did Feb/March/April too) but I have now decided that it is probably better for both my liver and my weight, to have 4 alcohol free days a week, rather than 31 days t-total, followed by 334 days drinking.

• posted by Nick C
    on

Thought I’d put in a quick post. So mid-way Wk2 and HIIT on Wednesday night was a struggle. From the off in the warm up I knew this next hour was going to be an up hill battle. Yes I got through it but felt a touch empty or performing @ 70%.
    Still pouring of sweat at the end and knew I’d done a workout.
    If we believe that a session of high intensity burns 500/600 calories there’s not much left in the tank if keeping to 800 daily. Later I was craving, thankful for the nut bowl still lingering from Xmas. Good few Walnuts later I was ok.

Thursday a different matter. Really hungry and probably ended up in the 1200/1300 calorie level.

Today (Friday) food wise really good, two roasted chicken breast for brunch and dinner just now was Keto style marinated chicken with buttered leafy green veg.
    Now having a few glasses of red wine.

Obviously a few days between now Tuesday weigh in but the results on the scales will be intresting.

• posted by Natalie
    on

My weight is back up to where it was on Monday which is frustrating, but it is clear why. (Sorry for TMI, fair warning.) On Tuesday I had a 24 hour gastric upset which cleared out everything in my body, obviously I lost weight but I knew it was temporary. But since then I have barely used the bathroom at all even to urinate, and nothing else. So I’m carrying three days of food and water. Like a camel. It’s really weird, I guess my body is restocking, but especially not urinating much is odd because I’m used to peeing every half hour even when it’s really inconvenient. I feel quite well but the couple of times I’ve tried to exercise I get dizzy and weak and really hot and sweaty very quickly. Oh well, I know I will recover and my body will release all this sometime.

• posted by JulesP
    on

Thanks Esnecca! Are you by any chance an inspirational speaker in your real life? If not you should be but only if it means you don’t leave this forum! You give be such wonderful advice and encouragement, a true BSD guru.

• posted by zolou
    on

Hi Nick,

My take on this is, we are doing this unsupervised (unless you’re paying for the programme), and we need to use our judgement and find what feels good for us. We should always be doing that anyway, right? There’s also the two-week review, where there are questions to ask, such as whether your appetite is under better control, with the suggestion that if you answer no to a couple of questions, you might review your approach. Common sense says that there is a difference between men and women and that if you are doing more exercise, you will be able to have more calories without affecting weight loss. The 800 number isn’t magic.

Personally, on days when I’ve really been struggling I’ve had a few more calories, in a controlled, thoughtful way (max has been 930, though a lot of estimation goes on), and it hasn’t seemed to affect my losses. I’m not talking about struggling with cravings – I breath through those – I’m talking about long-term gnawing hunger that persists a while after eating. I’d rather do that than switch to 5:2 – I found that just lead to me overeating on the other days which is really not good for you (why tempt hiatus hernia which can lead to oesophageal cancer?)

It sounds like you are doing great. Nothing wrong with weighing yourself more often if you’re wondering how it’s going.

My scales, which had been stubborn for a few days, moved by over a lb this morning, so I’m happy.

Natalie, keep drinking the water – you must have got very dehydrated – and be gentle with yourself. Your body obviously needs time to recover and rebalance.

xx

on

Hi everyone, another successful day yesterday although no further weight loss. BG up slightly but nothing to worry about as I did have a serious low in the afternoon and resorted to a Cadburys Roses, just one. Just done a half hour yoga session and still find it so boring also all that resting your bottom on the heels can be so painful I am not sure how that can be relaxing. Anyway there are several different half hour session on the disc so I will keep trying as it is supposed to be really good for you. So everyone, keeping on keeping on…

• posted by Nick C
    on

Hi Zolou
    Your post of course made absolute sense. I believe that will serve many when questioning what’s right/wrong for me as it did me this morning. 🙂
    Had an awful sleep last night, was it the alcohol or my mind working overtime. Maybe both?
    Took your advice, Jumped on the scales and saw 15st 13.5 lb. A great pick up and lifted my thoughts immediately to more positive ones. Could I really see a stone loss within a month?
    Just had brunch, water, water & more water is the order for this afternoon.
    We go again!!!!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello Nick! I really enjoy your enthusiasm..(I use a lot of exclamation
    points, too 🙂 ) A loss of a stone a month is 100% doable, as many of us
    can attest. Everyone has the tools to be successful if they faithfully
    follow the principles and take on board the knowledge and experience
    of this generous community. I hope 2018 is life changing for you!

Allie

• posted by Sueonit
    on

Hi everyone, didn’t get to post my weigh in 2lb down very pleased with week 1
    Dry January didn’t quite go to plan, gave into a couple of glasses !!but reigning in the number DRUNK!! Have been catching up with posts! FAB READING!!!
    The dark choc has got me hooked and so I am going to cut it out next week, and will also diary my food, I feel I have to hit basic principles weigh record and plan better to really improve my results. Joined exercise class to motivate me signed up for 8 weeks if it doesn’t kill me etc etc……. hey ho off we go to health and weight loss ! Oh yes had 2 lovely compliments from buddies I haven’t seen for awhile which made my day😊x

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all
    Sueonit I too had a compliment from someone completely unexpected. The type of person you thought would never ever notice such things. To be honest I’ve only lost a few pounds but the bloated look and feeling has gone so that could be why. Also skin back to clear after a Christmas blip.
    Reading all the inspiring posts. Thank you all.
    Beautiful smell of cinnamon in my kitchen as I’m making seed based granola. Just a spoonful on yogurt and berries…. delicious x

• posted by zolou
    on

Hi Nick,

So glad – after I sent that post I was cross with myself for making out I knew what I was talking about when actually I’m a total newbie! Ooh, stone in a month, great idea.

Went for a lovely bike ride this afternoon with DH – felt great. I think there’s definitely more adrenalin swilling round and I seem to need more exercise. Don’t know if it’s the HIT or an effect of the body needing to mobilise its stores.

I was pondering the psychological impact of this WOL – for me it has definitely been a bit of a re-adjustment and I’ve got a bit stressed sometimes about odd things, and other times struggled a bit with overwhelm. I was remembering a technique for dealing with this kind of stuff called “opposite action” (Marsha Linehan). The theory is that an emotion gives you an urge to behave in a certain way, and if you do the opposite your emotion will change. I always thought it was a bit of a yawn technique before, but this week I have really embraced it and found it beneficial. If I feel overwhelmed, then I find something constructive to do and do it, even if it’s just tidying up or something. I feel like I’m finding my equilibrium again, but I am having to work at it.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Definite non scale victory this evening. We had home made meatballs in tomato sauce. A bit high on the carbs but I had calculated for them. I had them with courgetti and spinach, but the real test was the Ciabatta that my husband made to go with them. Plus we usually have a bottle of wine between us with something like that on a Saturday night. I resisted all of it, and thoroughly enjoyed my meal! (Just check my post and the spell check had changed courgetti to confetti. A bit soggy with the sauce I think!)

• posted by Nick C
    on

Hi all
    its late and i should really be hitting the pillow. But a quick statement “I DON’T TRUST FAT SECRET” . Finding too many stored ingredients on their database are incorrect to the labeling on the packaging, especially in the carb section!

Diet Doctors garlic bread and a shared baked Camembert with celery sticks for dinner tonight. it was delicious!!

My day started with a cup of coffee before changing and jumping on the spinning bike. 8km & 15 minutes later a quick wipe down and water before 2.2km jog on the treadmill.

Positive start and set me up for the rest of the day.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Nick unfortunately most of these carb/calorie counters are inaccurate some just more than others. I tend to add my own products if the counter seems too way out. There are also anomalies with foods such as lentils when it’s oftwn difficult to work out if they are counting dry or cooked weight. I use Fatsecret.co.uk only because it’s less cumbersome than myfitnesspal. They are all probably accurate enough for our purposes.

• posted by Natalie
    on

It’s often hard to know which entry to pick on the calorie counters. I make a nice chicken broth, with roasted bones and some veges, strain everything off and just drink the liquid. How many calories is that? MyFitnessPal offers a range from about 5 calories to about 150 a cup!

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi everybody.

There’s a lot of really go losses out there, well done to you all.

I’m definitely on a plateau at the moment, having lost my Christmas extra quite quickly I haven’t moved since! That 6 days, so I think I’m due a whoosh some time soon. Sticking to 800/20 and believing it will work.

Non Scales Victories,
    My blood sugar has tested between 4.2 and 5.6 since 2nd Jan, so I’m hoping that the doc will reduce my metformin prescription.
    I had to go into the loft to get out some things for my amateur dramatic performance, and while I was there I tried on some summer trousers that I couldn’t get anywhere near when I put them away in October. Now they do up, tight and a bit bulgy when I sit down, but a wonderful felling to pull that zip up. I’ve brought them downstairs and will use them as a check as I get smaller. (Jeans aren’t any use as they are already loose, but I’m not buying new ones till I finish).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just thought I’d drop in to say I won’t be posting my end of week 2 results until Wednesday, as we won’t be home until tomorrow night, so I won’t be able to weigh-in tomorrow morning as I normally would.

Been at my folks since Wednesday last week and think I have managed to keep things under control, so hoping at worst to be the same and at best to have lost a little. Ketosticks have consistently shown positive, so I’ll be miffed if I find any gain.

Hope everyone is happy with what the scales tell them tomorrow and I’ll look forward to reading about lots of losses.

on

Hi everyone, like VictoriaM I too have hit a plateau. Usually happens when I have a good loss one week and I lost 4lbs last week. I have lost this week but put it back on. Seems strange when I only had 650 calories on Saturday as I had a cauliflower base pizza for lunch and saved some for my snack. Anyway, as we all know our bodies are not machines and have some funny quirks. One for me, and it is around the time of the month, I havent had a period for 20 years but around 14th 15th I get bloated and ratty (ask hubby) so I dont put too much store in a small gain or stagnating. On the other hand my BG is now down to 5.4 so I am back into the good figures. I wont be put off and will continue to stick with the plan happy in the knowledge that it does work and will start to lose again.

See you all tomorrow for the weigh it, good or bad.

• posted by Laska
    on

hello all .I am keeping the faith despite the fact that I havent lost anything more! – well a brief 3/4 over the weekend which is back on this morning DESPITE 2 days of16.8 fasting and both days being so far under my 800 ls (more like 500) that today I have been ravenous !. Its unaccountable..just 2.5 lb off in two weeks.

So today I have fed the monster 3 eggs with butter for breakfast and a chicken breast and cucumber for lunch . I also intend to have more chicken and veggies for dinner..

Maybe ill get a WHOOSH sometime soon… strange thing is I do ^feel^ a bit lighter …

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Laska – I’m intrigued by your statement that your results are
    “unaccountable”. Have I understood you correctly when you say that
    your total loss since you began 2 weeks ago is 2.5lbs? Maybe we help
    you figure out the reason. Do you weigh and measure everything? What
    do your macros look like? Water consumption? Carbs? At first glance
    and if the day you’ve outlined above is typical, it seems your proteins
    are a bit high…I’d like to help, but need more info 🙂

Allie

• posted by Laska
    on

Hi Allie yes 2.5 all told since th reboot. I meant unaccountable to me i suppose given the diet guidlines and how it worked for me so well previously….(Ilost about 20lbs when this diet came out 2 years ago now? )

Carbs have been no more than 30 a day , MFP has logged 800 or less most days (with a couple of exceptions but never over 1000) . Ive been having eggs for breakfast scrambled in a bit of butter ,

Nothing or miso soup for lunch , and usually a piece of meat or fish with steamed or roasted veg for dinner .. veg has been variously, cauli, peppers green beans , courgettes, the odd tomato ,

Very little cheese – though i have had some grated on my veg when i haven t had meat or fish.. Im not doing that any more though.. .
    I did have a small dish of cherries and strawberries the first week and some cream..and I di dhave a ew squares of dark chocolate the first week none of these since
    Loads of water ..

The only thing i can think is that i do very little exercise , apart from walking but that didn’t make a difference before..

I think ill have have to keep on being dogged .. the weight must come off at this level of calories .. I am not diabetic or pre diabetic .. and about 2.5st over weight

• posted by Laska
    on

oh, and I have been waiting ‘breakfast until about 11am.. each day . so that’s why no lunches. until today when ,l ike I said ,I was ravenous!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Laska. It’s good to hear that you have had success with
    this WOE in the past. Stay strong, and the results will come 🙂
    I lost 10 stone over 10 months with this WOL, but I did hit an 18
    day plateau 2 months in. When I dropped the carbs to <20, the
    issue completely resolved. We all lose at different rates though.
    Most don’t have to go to extremes that I had to, to be successful.
    I was sufficiently disabled to be unable to do any exercise until 8
    months in. I was somewhat astonished to discover that exercise
    had no impact on my rate of loss whatsoever. Obviously great for
    the heart and lungs, however. Best of luck to you!

Allie

on

Hi Laska, just to stick in my 2 pence worth. Are you counting absolutely everything, for example a 10 gram knob of butter is 70 cals, cherries are 50 cal per 100 grams but sugar dense and how many are a few squares of dark chocolate, i.e. 10g square is around 60 cals. It is easy to forget to add little bits here and there.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Laska

Like you, I lost my weight really slowly last year. It took me 10 months to lose exactly three stone. Some weeks I would stay the same and like you I wondered why. I still don’t know why my weight loss was so slow but if you keep plodding and keep following the BSD 800 you will lose your weight. It’s so difficult keeping motivated when the scales don’t move and it seems like everyone else is losing weight quickly. My advice to you is don’t give up and don’t compare your weight loss with others. It sounds like you’re following the plan, keep drinking water, keep low carb and keep plodding and like me you will get to goal. Once you get to goal you will realise that it doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as you get there. I have maintained my loss since end of October and I think that going slowly has its advantages. I didn’t exercise because I can’t and actually I fell and sprained both ankles at one point during the first few months so that hindered me too. Keep positive and it won’t be long before you’re seeing the results. Good luck with your journey. This forum kept me going when I was fed up and I got some great support. Keep plodding Laska, it’s so worth it when you get to goal. I was the tortoise in the race but I didn’t give up and I reached the end and you can too.

• posted by Laska
    on

Sunshine that is a good point, I think i am counting ,and I am logging on on MFP .. but I use the category which says ‘ Butter – Salted, 1 pat (1″ sq, 1/3″ high) and logs that as 36 calories ! Iam now going to go an see what a 10g knob of butter actually looks like and also cut some butter in the MFP measurement and see how much that weighs ..

Cathy that is a really motivating post . Thank you f r takingthe time to post that to me ..Not comparing weight loss with others is quite hard ,but then it fits in with my ‘Perfect of F-it’ personality as described above.. I MUST keep remembering that ! .

. Allie am in awe of your your 10st loss .. You must feel amazing!

• posted by Laska
    on

Right dug out my old electronic scales and actually found a battery for them !5g ans 10g butter weighed and happy to report that i am confident in MFP size /calories which i have been going on ..
    All good.. I will just KOKO..

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Week 2weigh in, an increase of 3.2 kgs this week from last week. For an overall increase of 1.4 kgs over the two weeks.
    Started back at work from holidays yesterday so hopefully this is a slight glitch and things revert to normal from here on in. Not sure why the massive gain but no good stressing about it. Recording everything that goes in my mouth and weighing everything as I knuckle down for the next six weeks.
    Good luck to you all on your journey

Regards

Cameron

• posted by Inka13
    on

Laska, this is my second time round too and am losing incredibly slowly but I seem to remember someone on here saying that for some reason that’s just what happens. It’s like you get a ‘free pass’ the first time around, then your body goes, wait a minute! the next time and grimly hangs on to everything. I’m finding it a real effort but finally dropped down into the next kilo bracket this morning so I know it’s still working but at about a quarter of the speed!
    We just have to keep in and kero believing. It will definitely happen, though like you I’m astonished at how little I’m eating and how little I’m losing!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Kero believing?? Sorry, KEEP believing! Silly typo!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Like a few others here I’m disappointed in my loss this week, 0.4 kg. Maybe it’s a week two thing? On the Biggest Loser show they always lost big in week one, not much week two.

• posted by Inka13
    on

That’s true Natalie!

• posted by zolou
    on

It’s interesting to hear that it may not be so easy second time – a cautionary tale! For me (I am first time round), I had a complete stall for the second half of week 2 – 2 days with no loss and then a gain – but now in the second half of week 3, it’s on the move again, thank goodness. I was cheered by the thought that the fat *must* have gone and been temporarily replaced by water, and I’m sticking to that theory!

Hi Natalie, hope you are feeing better. You’ve done really well not to be derailed by being unwell – if you can weather that, you can weather anything!

Cameron, that’s rough! How do you feel? Are your scales working OK do you think?

Cathy, sorry you can’t join in with the exercise – poor you, spraining both ankles!

I wonder how others are getting on with the exercise part of the programme (steps, HIT and strengthening)? It feels like it plays an important role for me in telling my body to keep the metabolism moving and it’s a way to have a bit more control of how fast the scales move.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi zolou,

Whilst disappointed, it has increased my resolve and I believe the increase to be exagerated due to my weighing prior to going to the bathroom and an increased fluid intake over the last couple of days. Been a lot more diligent today and will continue to push on and work towards a more desirable result at next weeks week 3 weigh in.

Thanks for your support and good luck to you to as we undertake this journey to better health and lifestyle.

Regards

Cameron

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Good morning everyone. This morning, if not a whoosh, at leat the scales moved after 6 days and I lost 1 lb. this means that I am exactly half way through my total BSD weight loss target. If I can keep it up at 3lbs per week (just on that edge at the moment) I will be on target for finishing by my birthday in mid March. If not, and I slow down towards the end, I have a back up target of a holiday in Cyprus at the end of March.

I notice there are a few other stalls on this on this thread at the moment, maybe we’re all in a similar pattern of the body adapting to us rebooting 800. Hopefully we’ll all start to move forward again.

• posted by Clare07866
    on

Morning all, as predicted the weight loss has been very slow this week. Another 2lb off though so not going to complain about that but have felt more tired and exercise has been a real struggle this week.
    Hope everyone’s scales are making them smile today 🙂

• posted by zolou
    on

Hi Cameron, that’s so great to hear – exactly how I felt when things seemed to be going the wrong way – stronger resolve, not less! Because we know that it’s doable and that underlying what the scales say, we must be going in the right direction. Great work keeping the fluids up to metabolise those fuel stores 🙂

Victoria, that’s amazing – half way already!

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Well my astonishing weight loss this week is …. half a pound! It’s down, not up so just keep on keeping on. 10st 2 and three quarters. Getting under 10 is a real struggle at the moment but perseverance …… X

• posted by toby101
    on

Hi all, pleased to report a further loss of 2kg this week, taking me down to 96.2kg total of 5.4kg in two weeks. This is actually based on around 1000 calories a day (800 too few for me) plus some wine and a bit more leeway at weekends.

Would love to get to 85kg at end of eight week period but I realise that is optimistic.

Great efforts reported here – really helps to read them.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi everyone and so many apologies for not posting very often. This week has been mad with work an absolute pain and house renovations started this weekend (why is it always January) so I haven’t been on line at all in the last few days. Still, it looks like you’re doing just fine without me!

I stayed the same this week and I put this down to a terrible diet, made slightly better by lots of exercise. Had a couple of days where I ate the most atrocious crap but reigned it in and upped the walking and the running just to stand still weight wise. That’s NOT going to get me under 10 stone!!! So I am basically on day four again….and I’m off to China on Saturday (work not play unfortunately) where I hope to get away with eating a) something I recognise, b) something that doesn’t want to make me retch, c) something that isn’t noodles! What I will do is stock up my suitcase with 6 days worth of macadamia nuts so, even if I find nothing to eat, a bag of those babies is 750 calories and 5g carbs!! Also, weather permitting, there is a lovely long stretch along the river which is perfect for an early morning power walk. No more excuses!

But for now – keep to plan, keep walking, keep on keeping on!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. I’m not sure I’m glad that others are in this position too, but I too have had a much smaller loss this week – down 0.5 kilos to 80.4. On the bright side, this makes my loss 10.1 kilos since beginning October and starting BSD, so a nice milestone to reach. The top of my BMI is only 1.4 kilos away. So my resolve is definitely still there!

Had a vivid dream last night that I had consumed a whole pack of Penguins (chocolate covered biscuits, just in case they are unknown outside the UK!). I was so pleased and relieved when I woke up!

Resolution for this week is to dust off my favourite exercise DVD. And use it.

Best wishes to everyone for the coming week.

• posted by caronl
    on

“glad” was the wrong word. “relieved” would be better! Sorry!

Please log in or register to post a reply.