White Flour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Congratulations on crossing the finishing line Judith
    I know how happy you are with your results.
    Glad to know you’ll be sticking around hun, this place wouldn’t be the same without you. In fact I can say the same for quite a few posters on here. The input from people has been tremendous since I started and will only get better as time passes.
    cherrianne you aint going nowhere. I too enjoy your posts and look out for them.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, just seen your congratulations, thankyou. I agree cherrieanne is going nowhere – nor you Bill, we need you on here more than ever!

• posted by FluffySlippers
    on

I was excited to see that recent studies show cooking, cooling and re-heating pasta, bread, rice and potatoes binds the starch and makes it less digestible, lowering the GI rating of flour products. I am keeping off these products in my initial 8 weeks, as they are still quite dense and carb rich, but I hope to put them back into my diet in small quantities once I’m off the strict stage.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Thanks Judith and Bill πŸ™‚ I’m not planning to leave either. I’ve never been one for forums before but I’m really enjoying the common goals we have on here. Everyone is quite open about their struggles and so supportive of each other. Considering how many people have joined there have been very few negative/ destructive elements.
    How do you pick up the back links Bill? That’s the second post you’ve picked up on one. I didn’t have a clue what it was so I had to look it up. It makes sense that people try to link such a popular site with theirs, they’re just a kind of parasite really ( like intestinal worms or leeches lol)!!
    I’m so not tech savvy!! I’ve never seen anything about diet pills either. Good on you for being so astute Bill.
    There don’t seem to be any moderators on here. My husband belongs to some forums where they have them and they can remove posts which are inappropriate.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne until I read your post i assumed back link meant bill was referring to the fact the guy had mentioned his own interest (book). So i googled it too. I’m shocked. I’m obviously too naive. Thank god we have Bill on our side!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fluffyslippers be VERY careful, especially if you are diabetic. I once followed that diet and it did me no favours, and I put on more weight. If you hanker after bread try the two flat bread recipes in the recipes tab on this forum. This isn’t just an 8 week diet -it needs to be a way of life! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Not easy to explain cherrianne but I’ll try
    in order to get high rankings on google (page 1) a website has to have good content but it also needs recommendations from other sites. These come in the form of backlinks, either a URL or a product title published on another site will do it.
    You now have a situation where thousands of so call SEO people (Search Engin Optimisation) are trawling the net trying to get backlinks for the sites that are paying them (and it is VERY well paid)
    The best links come from sites that have the same general interest factor as the site you are getting the links for, hence we get them from the diet pill quacks and now pushers of alternative diets. Unfortunately, forums, especially unmoderated forums are seen as fair game.
    that is a very brief nutshell version but you will get the idea

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well I’ve been blissfully ignorant about all that, thank you Bill for explaining. Devious means of promoting their own interests. So do we report those posts, ignore them, and how can you tell it’s a backlink? Is it just that they mention a diet or product?
    So glad you’re on the ball Bill πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Worst ones will have a clickable link, others just a product name.
    You can report if you wish, I did notice the last diet pill quack had their post removed.

• posted by Boog23
    on

to Cherrianne, hashimoto, Bill1954, Judith et al:

I just started reading through this particular thread and I want to say: Please, please, please stick around! Newbies like me need you-I have really gotten a leg up on the BSB from your posts. I realize I’m maybe being a bit selfish, but I appreciate you all!
    Jeff

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jeff, thankyou so much, we intend sticking around!! Over the 8 week line is a whole new ball game and we still need to support each other. I think I speak for all of us when I say we feel a commitment to this – we have been helped along the way and want to continue to support others on this journey! πŸ™‚ Judith

• posted by Boog23
    on

Judith:
    So great to hear! Thank you! Yup, commitment is key and the support of others so important to keeping it! I hope in a few weeks to be as helpful to new folks as you all have been. Jeff πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Jeff,
    I too have a lifelong commitment to this way of life, so I’m sticking around. I want to be healthy right into a very ripe old age and get maximum enjoyment out of life!! Keeping my blood sugars in the non diabetic range is the key to achieving this.
    It will only be a very short time before you’re able to help. The learning curve is steep and you acquire new insight into diabetes/ blood sugar control/ weight management very quickly.
    Part of the joy in this forum is reading other people’s achievements as well as their personal stories. I really feel this is the best breakthrough in diabetes care for decades, and we’re all here willingly. πŸ™‚

• posted by Boog23
    on

Hi Cherrianne,

All I can say is Yaay! Thank you for your confidence and encouragement, it really helps! I love what you said about having that quality of life right into old age-this is so important to keep that in mind, especially when it gets tough-as a friend of mine says ‘no food tastes as good as being healthy feels’. I have learned so much and been so encouraged by the people on these forums. They are obviously such a great and vital addition to the book.
    Jeff πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne how is your weather today? πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Good for you Jeff, you’ve made the right decision to join us here. Plenty of support and encouragement for all. No negatives to doing the BSD, just good health, extra energy and a new outlook on healthy eating.
    Hi Hashimoto, it’s warm and humid today. 24C and we have rain threatening so it’s quite misty in the hills here. The rain will be welcome to fill up our water tanks which are our only source of household water where I live.
    I’m planning on making pizza scrolls on the weekend using the lupin flour. If they work out, I’ll take some photos of them outside like a picnic,so you can see our hills and the view when I post the recipe. Then you can tell me if they live up to the dream you had πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne, oh I will love to see that photo and 24 C sounds much better. I really hope the promised rain arrives and fills your tanks! We had nothing but rain all day yesterday . My dad’s garden was flooded even though he lives near the top of a hill I wish I could send some rain over to you, you need it more than us lol.;)

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jeff, I. Love your friend’s saying ‘no food tastes as good as healthy feels’. It will be an inspiring mantra! I’m looking forward to your future posts about weight loss and improved health/ energy levels πŸ™‚

• posted by CAS
    on

Hi all again. Just keeping in touch. Had good blood test results today as I’m off the Pre Diabetes and am now fine. The previous diet I went on last year till before Christmas I lost 11kilos and that must have done it. Since then though I put back about 2 to 3 kilos. I still need to lose another 10 or more. Weighed myself this morning and in three days of this diet I lost about 3 kilos with Blood glucose in the safety range at 5. My waist also shrunk by 2ins. Will be doing my best to finish what I started now. It seems that even my sleep insomnia is being fixed as since I have started last Monday I haven’t been once tired or without concentration. Can only improve my health in the short and long run to finish the 8 weeks.

Tried playing around with other flours but didn’t like the results. Was wondering about Spelt Flour. Is Spelt flour also on the bad list?

Hoshimoto, the recipe I posted earlier was the recipe from the site you posted re Lupin Flour and bread. Wanted to bring to your attention that Lupin Bread could have wheat flour in it. I am assuming that if there on site recipe contains normal flour the bread loves you buy might also contain them Make sure to read the nutritional information.

Here in Sydney been close to 35 in the suburbs. Been a record 20 days or more of constant days above the 28C average for this time of the year. You wouldn’t know that summer finished 10days ago. Mainly it ‘s been in the 30s and the nights in low 20s. Incredible weather!

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi Cas,
    Yes, spelt is on the bad list! It is wheat, though an old variety, and not gluten free, for those who are sensitive or intolerant of gluten.
    Well done on the results, keep with it πŸ™‚
    MaryR

• posted by CAS
    on

Tnx MaryR. It’s what I suspected but great to have it confirmed.

• posted by Boog23
    on

Thanks hashimoto! I have written that phrase down on an index card and put it on my fridge.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hurrah folks, I’ve just made the chickpea flour pasta, see Bill’s post. I had 9oz of flour left in one of my bags so I used that and added 3 medium eggs rather than water.
    The author was right – it really sticks!
    I tried kneading it – dreadful. So i poured a little olive oil onto my hands and rubbed it in. Also rubbed a little on my rolling pin. Success!
    The knife wasn’t successful but a pizza wheel works brilliantly.

When cooked it is so much more like pasta than the gluten free pasta i once bought ( and binned ).

Next step . . .portions …I. Divided the ‘pasta’ into 6 portions of 105 calories each. Some for the freezer for future use πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wahay Judith
    thanks for being the guinea pig on that.
    Hope you enjoy it, Mmmm raviolo this weekend πŸ˜€

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi all – I am a newbie on the diet & the site. I have just bought some buckwheat flour, it has carbs as does chick-pea flour so I am confused about some points raised in this posting. Chick peas also have carbs, but much less, so am assuming it’s the concentration/sheer volume of chick peas in the flour that boosts the carb level. Buckwheat is mentioned in the book as a suitable foodstuff, so am now all over the place! What would be.

A good idea might be for this diet to have a traffic light system (oops, I know…) of green, amber & red foods, perhaps buckwheat is amber?

I just know that hubby ( has similar weight/mid-life fat issues to me) especially will falter unless I can. Find something that is a bit like bread, I will try tamznlaws recipe above though, the one for a ‘heavy bread’ sounds a great idea.

M&S do a good line in beetroot crisps, could find nothing negative on the pack & I make kale crisps, I alternate the flavours with chilli flakes & Parmesan – very tasty & nutritious.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi fifip, chickpea and coconut flours do have some carbs but in a small percentage – much less than buckwheat flour.
    Do you mind me asking which book you are reading? I can’t remember a mention of buckwheat flour in michael Mosley’s blood sugar diet BUT I may be having a senior moment lol
    I think it isn’t traffic lighted because there is no commercial ready meal system attached to this diet, no doubt some big manufacturer will jump all over it at some point grrrr πŸ™
    The emphasis is on wholesome food freshly prepared and it sounds like you are a skillful cook
    Best wishes on this journey πŸ™‚

• posted by misssay
    on

Bill’s post is also only showing a blank screen for me. Can anyone point the way to the pasta recipe please, as I rather fancy trying it out. I have googled and found several, but would like a tried and tested version if possible.
    Thanks.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Hashimoto – I have the BSugar book at home, not with me sorry. It doesn’t say buckwheat flour, it says buckwheat, cites it along with other products like chickpeas, lentils, pulses etc as a ‘healthy’ option, took it too literally obviously, as it didn’t mean flour, all about educating ones beleaguered palate away from things. Back at home Saturday PM, will get page number.

Yep, cooking from scratch is what I tend to do, and opening the vino with it too unfortunately… I can do water without any issue but husband is a problem on that front. What are these fruit water bottles I keep seeing come up in this site, can find people saying they will get one & pictures of them, but what are they for, or am I being dense?

With dinner I shall do soda with a squeeze of lime, but if the fruit water thingummys have another way of using berries/fruit without making a smoothie then I shall invest!

Incidentally, when I type in your name-tag, it comes up as Hash-too, hilarious, ROTFL!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi missay, i more or less followed it, this is what i did :
    Ingedients:
    8 oz (100g) chickpea flour
    2 eggs
    Salt to taste

Equipment :
    Greaseproof paper
    Olive oil ( for hands and rolling pin)
    Pan of boiling salted water

Method
    Make a well in flour
    Add eggs and mix to strong ‘dough’
    Slightly oil hands and rolling pin
    Form dough into ball

Roll out on to greaseproof paper until even but thin
    Use a slightly oiled pizza wheel to cut into strips or rectangles
    Once they are desired shape/size carefully peel off greaseproof paper and drop into a pan of hot salty water for 3 or 4 minutes. – i stirred once to make sure they weren’t sticking to the bottom of the pan

Hope that helps πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi fifip, it’s page 113, I actually tried, without success, buying some buckwheat so it was a senior moment! πŸ™

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I have some buckwheat flour, noodles, and pasta if you’d like some hashimoto…… ; )

• posted by misssay
    on

Ah thanks Hashimoto. That sounds quite straightforward. I’m not sure why, but I expected it to be more complex and with a lot more ingredients than ‘standard’ pasta. Is it gritty to eat, like gluten free pastas often are? I am hoping not, as the chickpea pancakes/flatbread/pizza bases aren’t.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Missay I. Have not liked any gluten free pasta that I’ve bought but this has a very similar texture to normal pasta, it’s a bit thicker but smooth. I’m going to make a spicy sauce to go with mine tomorrow πŸ™‚

• posted by misssay
    on

I’m with you on the gluten free pasta. This one is sounding better and better though!

• posted by Yogi58
    on

Hi White Flour
    The chick pea pasta recipe looks quite easy. Does the dough keep in the fridge and if so, for how long? Can you freeze it? Or can you dry it like ordinary pasta?

Thanks!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Judith
    if you don’t mind, could you email me your way of making this.
    I tried it at the weekend and it was a disaster, I followed your lead and used an oiled board and rolling pin but the mix was so sticky, I couldn’t get it off my hands and it still stuck like glue to the board.
    Worse still, I had already made a lovely spinach and ricotta filling. That went into an omelette but I missed the pasta.
    I wonder if chilling it for a couple of hours would help

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Done, bill

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi yogi, i used 8 oz flour, 2 eggs. Divided the results into 6 small portions – approx 100 calories a portion. And have frozen 4 portions. I don’t see why it won’t work. I. Intend dropping them frozen into boiling water with a splash of olive oil when I. Next have them πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Thanks Judith
    would you believe I’ve just been savaged in the closed facebook group for trying to help someone who had a relapse and in her words, can’t stop putting bad things in her mouth.
    The worst is it wasn’t even her who had a go at me but someone who considers herself as a strong woman who will not be told what to think or do by ANYONE
    *But she’s following a diet from a book.*
    I’m afraid I live with a very strong woman and I’m well used to dealing with this.
    Time to reload both barrels as I emptied them at her and will probably get banned for it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good on yer mate, as our aussie friends might say. So that is you and penny who have had a bad response while trying to help someone. But you KNOW you are right Bill. If you do get barred it is their loss the fools

• posted by Bill1954
    on

You don’t want to hear my real feelings about Facebook anyway, the kids all put their whole lives up there.
    Remember that George Orwell book 1984. Big brother is watching you ?
    Big brother is no longer needed they gave us Facebook and we voluntarily give out all the info they need
    So basically I joined the group to see what was going on and to act, more or less the same way as I do on here, it’s a nonsensity and seeing as Penny got similar treatment, probably not for me.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I was attacked on Facebook a few days ago. Someone asked what happens after the 8 weeks so I posted what the BSD team replied to me on that and, that like any others I am staying on this for a while. Response came back that this is unsustainable, would lead to anorexia and death. I pointed out that those who gave bariatric surgery cannot eat much afterwards and so have low calorie intake. Another attack – writer knew someone who had said surgery, lost weight, stabilised, then started to set all the wrong stuff and gained weight. At that point I decided to maintain a dignified silence. Some battles you just can’t win.

Yes Bill – you read it right. Me – dignified! LOL. Abut I do agree with you about the Facebook group. I see the same comments on there that I used to hear at slimming clubs. I think it started out ok but as it’s got bigger it has changed and I’ve been thinking of leaving the group for a few days.

Folk are much nicer, kinder and supportive on here.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Dignified and wise Lynn
    Just a bunch of playground bullies really, they’ve been there a while so they think they have the right to push the new kids about.
    My head says just click the leave group button
    My heart says I detest bullies so stay and give them he’ll
    I think I’ll sleep on it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ve slept on it long enough and left that group.

I don’t like bullies either, and I was there before most of them. But the group has changed, not for the better. I don’t need the aggro, but to use my energy for more important things. So I have left

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Hi, I am a long time lurker on these forums but haven’t posted anything, so forgive me if I do anything wrong or daft. I also belong to the closed Facebook group, and have directed people to it from the BSD Facebook page, so they could get some support, as some have been struggling. I am so sorry to see that Bill has been having problems today, I was delighted to see you there, Bill, as you have so much to offer in terms of support and encouragement. And I’m sorry that Lynne has left the group. I think most of the people in that group are very friendly and helpful. Sometimes words in type come across differently than was meant – this can happen with texts too in my experience. Anyway, I’m not sure what else to say, just that I’m sorry that it happened.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Liz life’s too short hun
    Each to their own, FB doesn’t suit me the same as the forum doesn’t suit some folk.
    We’re all after the same goals at the end of the day so as long as we all get there, no real harm done.

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Ok, you must do what’s best for you, I just think it’s a shame that maybe you won’t be on there to share your experience and advice. There aren’t many men (as far as I can see anyway) and it might be encouraging for the few that are there. As well as the women, honestly the majority of them are nice! I shall continue to hover between both the forums and the fb site, and now I have worked out how to post on here, I may be actually joining in instead of just lurking!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Liz. *waves*. I was spending too much time on FB anyway. Sorry to leave in a way, because most of them are nice. But I thought it best.

Good to see you joining in on here. Please post your progress. We are a helpful bunch. And usually someone around because we’re from so many parts of the world. Lynne

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Be great to see you joining in Liz, your experiences will only add to the growing amount of information available to people joining here.
    Just to put a full stop to this. my post to that girl wasn’t meant to pressurise her or belittle her in any way.
    I was trying to get her to think about the reasons why she was eating those things, if you know why, you’re on the path to stopping.
    It’s just like parenting skills, sometimes if a kid is doing something they shouldn’t, a kind word or a hug can have the desired results. Other times you need to take a slightly firmer approach and get them to think about what they are doing.
    At the time I posted, I didn’t realise she had come off anti depressants, which raises another question.
    This diet does cause light headedness and mood swings,it has been reported on here several times, it’s possibly not the best path for someone who suffers from depression, and I’m not generalising here, but it won’t suit some people.
    I’ve left the group rather than cause any more upset over their, I wish them the best and I look forward to your future posts.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

The ‘d’ word has again been mentioned so I hope nobody objects to me speaking very personally for a moment. Grab a coffee, and settle down. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

I have suffered from clinical depression on and off for much of my life, including post-natal depression. I have taken many different antidepressants with varying degrees of success.

Some time ago a book was published ‘Potatoes not Prozac’ so I followed the dietary advice given there. Well, it did seem to make sense. At the time. Eat starchy carbs and you won’t need the tablets.

A big learning curve for me (please remember I am speaking about my body, not anyone else) was that I know the quirks of my body better than any medical professional.

There were some antidepressants that worked for me, ok there were foods you cannot eat while taking them but that was never a problem for me – they worked. Then the new generations of pills came out. All I will say about them is that the side-effects were worse than the depression for me.

The last few times I’ve visited a GP with depression I’ve been asked what works for me, and I’ve told them – guess what? They refuse to prescribe what works.

Fast forward to the BSD. Since starting this back in December I have noticed a positive difference in my mood. I seem to be more the ‘real me’. The me who laughs at almost anything and is a giggler. Things that would have irritated me and completely stressed me out are now shrugged off.

Those of us on here who are diabetics know that ‘one size’ does not fit all, and the same seems to be true of depression. But this has been my experience.

Like many of us, treating myself as an experiment, I find out what works for me. I don’t think I have recorded everything so carefully for such a long time as I have with the BSD. My diabetes nurse was impressed originally, but last time I saw her she laughed at my notebook😱. I’m in notebook 2 now LOL. I write down everything I eat, my fasting bloods and test results. Note to self: must ask nurse for last test results just before I started BSD for comparison. Thanks to folk on here I bought a BP monitor do I can keep an eye on that at home. Something else to record in my little book. (No, it’s not a little black book – it’s purple πŸ˜ƒ). Not that I’m a control freak you understand 😱

If you’ve read this far, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to put my experience on record and hope it may help someone else. Hope it hasn’t upset or offended anyone.

Ok. That’s it folks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.