What's your next mini goal?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

I’m obviously really gullible I am taking Fatsecret as ‘gospel’! Do you really think that the paid for version of MFP will be more accurate?

10 for ยฃ20 WOW! That must be some record. But now you have something to ‘grow’ into. I’ll just be glad to dump the elasticated waists!!!!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi, no I don’t think the paid version will be more accurate, but with the free version you can’t export the data you’ve entered.
    I was thinking that if you can sign up for a single month, then resign again, I could export the data (MY DATA!) and set it all out on a spreadsheet.
    Or I could just bite the bullet (how many carbs in a bullet?!) and abandon MFP and record all future data in a spreadsheet – I’ve recorded food on MFP fairly comprehensively, I’m just a bit reluctant to abandon it. All those stats and graphs I could do!! Dedicated horder!

Two of the new pairs of trousers actually have elasticated waists! I never wore them at my largest (apart from track suit trousers, etc) – but 14 will be a transitory size, I don’t intend to stay there for long, so elasticated waists will mean they fit for longer.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Can someone pleeeeeese tell me what an MFP is. I only know it as a multi functional periphery which is something that can be connected to your computer like a printer or scanner or a download device. What are you using it for – I am so not down with the kids when it comes to gadgets but my grandsons don’t know what it is either.

• posted by Avila
    on

My Fitness Pal – one of the apps that you can use to track food and exercise…. quite popular it seems though others refer to Fatsecret.

Shorthand is great – when we know what it is short for!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Don’t abandon MFP I’m sure you’ll regret it!

Good for you being so positive about moving down a size ….. positive thoughts = positive actions!

• posted by Frog
    on

sorry Sunshine Girl!

Verano – if I abandoned MFP I’d still record things assiduously, but it’s easier to find things that you’ve used before if its on your own spreadsheet, and know that if you’ve checked it once, it’s fine.
    And I can do my own graphs and play with stats to my hearts content (one of my favourite books is Information is Beautiful, closely followed by Knowledge is Beautiful!)
    With MFP there can be so many variants of the same thing, some with American version of recording carbs, some UK, & if the person that made the entry isn’t monitoring carbs, they may not have bothered to enter them.
    Yesterday I had a Greek salad from waitrose – loads of results! And I’d had the same thing about four weeks ago and had to trawl through them all then too

• posted by daisy86
    on

I am currently trying to gain weight. I am 29 and wish to gain about 20lbs. So looking for some weight gainer recipes.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hey there, I’m not sure we have any other members trying to gain weight, we’re all the opposite.

My husband however is a naturally lean person who has struggled to gain weight but had success more recently, it depends on your lifestyle.

He has 4 meals/day, including a large one at lunch time. He doesn’t eat much rubbish at all and concentrates on a good chunk of protein (a lot like BSD) healthy additions, plus complex carbs. He is free-er with his carb intake than most of us here. He also does some strength training and I’m certain most of his gain is muscle rather than body fat.

I’d definitely not turn to the rubbish carbs as you may gain a healthy weight but will end up unhealthy in all the other ways. Eat more food of the healthy variety is all I can really suggest.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

I understand how frustrating it must be if there is no consistency. Fatsecret uk does seem only to show uk brands so I’m just going to have to trust it!

Can I ask you a question please? I notice on another thread you stopped taking metformin when your Hba1c was 61. I realise it’s much lower now, but did you take yourself of metformin or was it the doctors suggestion?

My Hba1c was only just over 7, in old money, and I never thought to question going onto metformin.

on

Thanks Avila, come to think of it I registered with them after seeing it on this site but couldnt get on with it as all the products are English. The next time I logged on it came up in French and I abandoned it. Maybe I should look again and see if it have confit de canard and fois gras and other French foods. LOL

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

To Daisy re gaining weight.

Do you know what your resting metabolic rate is? Suggest you look at this website
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You can then set your calories for a gain in weight, and follow the BSD principles as suggested by Izzy to gain weight.
    You could, for example, have a BSD evening meal and a side salad with cheese to add calories and fat.
    You could switch to full-fat everything if you’re not already doing this, and add butter to steamed vegetables.

But you need to know a) how many calories you’re eating now and b) how many more you need over your target period to put on weight.

Hope that helps

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano – Metformin
    I took myself off it – I was following BSD assiduously, my results had come down dramatically – and everyone elses here had, so I just decided not to take it.
    (someone mentioned side effects on another thread – horrendous diarrhea with the regular tablets, OK with extended release tablets)
    Because of the problems I’d experienced with the first tablets, I hadn’t been taking it consistently for very long.
    When I mentioned at the diabetic annual review meeting, immediate response of ‘lets get an HBaC1 done straight away and come in and see me to review this in two weeks time’ – I somehow think she was expecting to get more drastically improved results back!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Interesting! I guess if you’d not been taking Metformin long it was relatively easy to stop taking them. I have been using the slow release version almost since I was diagnosed six years ago, and have not really had any side effects but I just hate taking ‘pills’!!

I have a diabetic review every 6 months and the next one is due in October. I’ll be interested to see if my HAB1c has come down but in any event I’m going to ask how high it would be without Metformin. When I think about it, it was only in the low 7’s before Metformin and is usually around 6.8 with it! Not much of an improvement!

• posted by Verano
    on

!!!! AT LAST !!!!

I have finally made my first stone and what a struggle that has been!

When I started this thread 10 days ago I needed to lose 2.4lbs to get to my first stone and at last I’ve done it. This has been such heavy going for my but entirely of my own making.

This the last day of my first 8 weeks and I have certainly learned a lot from the journey so far. I think the most important lesson for me is that I can do this, I’m not hungry very often, I like the food and enjoy this way of eating ….. it’s become my new ‘habit’. BUT I have to be more vigilant …. ditch any red wine, the odd oat biscuit or dark chocolate digestive (don’t keep them in the house anymore!) and the occasional cracker. Apart from that I think I’m learning. Last Sunday I had an Indian meal which seemed ok …. 1 poppadum, chicken tikka and chickpeas and spinach. Put on a pound the next day!!! Last night I had chicken tikka but with my own homemade carb and calorie counted chickpea curry and today I’ve lost 0.4lb!! So it is possible to eat ‘normal’ food it just takes a little more thought.

Anyway, my next mini goal is to lose 1.5lbs to get me down into the next stone. I would love to do that by Sunday, when I go away, especially as I think it will be so much easier to stay with this if I have incentive of not going UP into another stone.

Looking forward to starting my next 8 weeks on the ‘2nd 8 weeks’ thread but will still be here with my mini goals!

• posted by Frog
    on

yeah! well done Verano, that’s brilliant
    I’m sure you’ll be fine for next week

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks! will give it my best shot.

on

My next mini goal is to reach 11 stone 7 lbs, that will be 5 lbs from now and I can throw away my big knickers. I then want to lose a total of 3kg on my second round of BSD plus I want my HBA1c to 6.0 at my next lab test in November (10 weeks away). It is already down to 6.6 from 8.2 so hoping to continue to improve health wise.

on

I have a new mini goal after weighing in this morning as seeing the dreaded 76 pop up when I thought I had banished it. Serves me right for slipping up. But never mind that, was 76.2 and want to be at least 75.9 BY TOMORROW.

• posted by Verano
    on

Best of luck! Could be do-able if you’ve not be rigid the last week or so.

Just had 2 squares of Lindt 70%…. just needed ‘something’. It’s amazing how good and satisfying just 2 squares can be when your not eating sweet things.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Yup – just had to revert to coffee – half the milk and all logged but it may be an early night!

• posted by Chookymama
    on

My mini goal is to break 80kg. Currently 85.2 (I was 3 kgs more last week….)

• posted by Verano
    on

Made my second mini goal!!!

My second goal was to lose 1.5lbs to get me down into the next stone …… have done that plus! with 4 days to spare!

My new mini goals are … to lose 3.7lbs takes me into single figure pounds
    then another 8.3lbs to make 10% weight loss!!!!
    a further 1.7lbs to get me into the next stone
    Would love to lose another pound or so before I go away on Sunday then it will give me more incentive not to go up in stones when I’m away.

Good luck with all your goals!

• posted by Frog
    on

well done Verano – & Sunday’s 4 days away, I’m sure you’ll be fine with that

on

Goal was to go from 76.2 to 75.something in just one day. Did it. Today I am 75.9.

My next mini goal is to put my wedding ring back on. It has always fit as it had worn a ridge in my finger but was not able to get it off. Then I got a mosquito bite and was scratching, it swelled up and I soaped and oiled and managed to get it off. Now 4kg lighter but I cannot get it back on comfortably without forcing it. SO….. I want to get it back on with ease. I reckon on reaching the 3kg loss goal should do it.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Made it through 1st week of 800. Down 3 lbs. For the first time in a week I felt indifferent about my little 38 calorie dark chocolate square that I’ve been having every night after dinner. Left it in the pantry for another time. That’s a great feeling! Not to be craving it so badly. I know cravings will come now and then, but it feels good to not be desperate for it.

Mini goal for this coming week is 2lbs down within a week and sticking to the food/calories for another whole week. I’d like to get closer to the 50 carb limit. I’m mostly in the 60s, and once this week in the 90s despite being free of bread, pasta, sweets, potatoes, rice, milk etc. I’m still really pleased with the diet and amazed that I feel so well. The forums are really encouraging!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Verano and sunshine-girl, high fives.

My next goal is still 10% which is only .6 of a kilo

• posted by Verano
    on

Ruthdownunder you’ll have no problem doing that! Remember the 0.1!! You did that with no problem.

Good luck!

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Hi all, my first mini goal is to get down to the next stone. That will be a 7lbs loss so it is a fairly big mini goal! I’m hoping I will have similar 1st week loss to my last attempt (5lbs) so hopefully this is do-able in a couple of weeks.

on

For those that remember I have a mini goal of getting rid of my big pants (knickers). I have 3 pairs identical bought from Debs and, although they say size 12 they are in fact granny size 12 and go up past my waist. I was in England when I bought them staying with my daughter for 2 weeks so they went into her washing machine. Now she never sorts into light and dark and I think these brand new pants went in with a pair of little boys jeans and came out dingy (they were flesh coloured) dirty grey blue. Over the months the dye has been washing out but they are still off grey colour. I am wearing them today as I must try to wear them out before they end up in the bin. So that’s the story, not only are they big, they are dingy too.

I said I would throw them out at 11 st 7 lbs so I am 5 lbs away.

I also have a mini goal of getting my wedding ring back on after taking it off an infected swollen finger. I tried today and it is getting there so that too will be in another 5 lbs. So I should reach 2 mini goals on the same day. Yeah. (how sad am I)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Not sad at all sunshine-girl – we need to celebrate every little victory and getting to throw out big knickers and get your wedding ring on again are definitely worth celebrating.

My personal mini goal is to get to 9st 2lb and I have 3lb to go. Would love to achieve that by 14th Sept, but as I am a slow loser and have a couple of things happening between now and then, I have to be realistic and not expect it to happen until after we are back from Turkey early November.

Good luck to everyone striving for a mini goal – stick with it and you soon see results.

on

Merci beaucoup SunnyB

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Having just experienced one of my longest plateaus yet my 19th August mini goal is still my next, but I am closer now at BMI 30.2 so could be this weekend. I am not doing the Fast 800 (yet) but will increase the number of fast days from 3 to 5 for September before starting the full diet on October 1st. I will be fasting during the weekdays and having weekends “off” but still Med style and focused on nutrition.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Plateaus are crushing aren’t they? Check your carb in take and make sure you are drinking plenty. It was these two tips that got me off my main plateau. Good luck, hope you soon achieve that 19th Aug mini goal.

on

only 4.5 lbs to go to throwing those knickers out.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My next mini goal is to lose 3.4 kg to get me down to the weight I was when the year started. With any luck, I might do it this month. That would feel good.

Then I’ve got three months to start to make progress on where I was back then. I had such big ideas… a kilo a month would have seen me down to 71.5 by the end of the year. Didn’t happen for assorted reasons but ultimately my own strength of will. I suppose it’s still possible, but I’m focused on that 3.4 kg for now.

Good luck sunshine-girl. Soon be time to get a new lot of frillies!

And good luck Mixnmatch and everyone else.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Success, as of this morning I am 5 1/2 stone lighter than I was and my BMI is 29.9! Next mini goal to follow when I have worked it out ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW!!! Well done Mixnmatch!!!! Take your time with the next goal …. you have done amazingly well so far!

on

mini mini goal, reached 75.2 yesterday to want to say goodbye to the 75 and be 74.something in the next 2 days (by Friday), should be doable.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Okay, I have consulted the Oracle (my spreadsheet) and my next mini goal is also a biggie. 2 more pounds lost and I have lost 30% of my former body weight!

2 more after that and my weight starts with a 12 for the first time in decades.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow Mixnmatch, that will be a parade day!! Hope to be reading about this achievement very soon.

I’m still trying to get to my next mini goal, but to be fair, I haven’t been as strict with myself as I should be, so I can’t expect to see that result yet. Will be trying harder over the next few days and hopefully will see some real progress again soon.

Routing for you Mixnmatch!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant, Mixnmatch, those may be mini goals but they will be massive achievements. And so inspiring too.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Great goals here. It’s so fun to work at the smaller goals and celebrate so often!

Here goes: I want to be down another 2lbs by next Thursday, but to do that I have to be careful this weekend. Weekends are the hardest as we’re socializing and there’s always lots of people and food (and almost all naughty stuff!) around. Just have to be strong and exercise my “no thank you” muscles for the next 3 days! Having just tea or coffee tomorrow night with friends while everyone has chips and desserts. Going to try and get our conversation going in the next room rather than the kitchen. Dinner at my mom’s Sunday…will say no to the dessert and breads…. Saturday fun with the family at home, just sticking to the diet. Might get creative if there’s time and do a low carb pizza or 1 sugar free chocolate.
    Committed to logging it all and keeping up with the exercise this weekend.

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve been on a plateau for ages, after initially being very pleased with my weight loss – I have got more and more lax though (and had the odd binge!)
    So my mini goal is 4 weeks of under 30g of carbs a day, and no exceeding the 800 calorie ceiling.
    And no ‘sit on the sofa’ and not get active days – AT ALL!!!

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Good thoughts Frog. At some point the novelty wears off a little and we all need something to keep us going. I find mini goals helpful for keeping me making all the good choices I need to make. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one challenge at a time. It feels good to get through just one day, so take the time to enjoy the accomplishment in each little thing you do. I have needed distractions from food and dieting since starting so I don’t go mad waiting to be thinner and missing my old comforts of food. Being busy with my family and looking for ways to care for people around me helps fill the time. I’ve been a lot more productive lately! Good to see that resolve in you!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Frog,
    Like you, my weight loss stalled in recent weeks. “I have got more and more lax though (and had the odd binge!)” – sounds exactly like me!!
    So I’ve recently resolved to knuckle down and lose those final 10lbs that will get me to my target weight. And 10lbs doesn’t sound too daunting, compared to the 30+lbs I have lost since January. I admit that some of the recipes I tried in the early days I don’t use now (a bit of boredom setting in) so I’ve revisited the book and am trying some recipes that I’ve not tackled.
    So good luck with your efforts.
    Rose

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

So I seem to be on a roll now… I am now 30% lighter than I was when I started losing weight 18 months ago as of this morning. Now i just have the two pounds to go to the weight starting with a 12. Never thought I’d be back down at that weight and now it’s just a step along the way.

I will be having a glass of wine tonight to celebrate over and above my 800 calories, as I know I deserve it. I can wait an extra day if necessary to hit the next one ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by shalimar
    on

My mini goal is to get to under 230 pounds, which should happen within a week as i only have 3 1/2 pounds to go. I just bought a whole bunch of new knickers with a gift certificate ….. so my other mini goal is to bin those and fit into the pretty ones i have had for years!!!
    Right now i only have one pair of regular slacks/pants that fit and they have been mended at least twice. I do however have about 10 pair of slacks that i will fit in when a loose just a bit more … maybe 10 pounds. I do have a new set of capri length new pants and new pants that look like pjamas but were cool for summer … only wore those for 2 weeks and they are going to be donated.
    Of course my next intermediate goal will be to get to under 200 pounds ………. what a celebration that will be!!

I’m currently planning non food rewards … massage, pedicure, etc.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Ok I am on day 10 today and not having huge success with the scales up this morning to 102 (start was 103.7). I def went slightly over on calories yesterday but no bad food. Anyway hanging in there and waiting for a drop. Aiming next Friday to be 100 and getting close to 99. By the end of September my goal is 99 and by the end of October 94 which would give me a bmi of 94. By the end of November I want to be 90. I am going to reintroduce alcohol after a month, moderately, but stick to this way of life, keep carbs down and and do 800 calories or less at least 4 days a week.

Gluck.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Nothing lost for me today. But went to an actual aquabics class with my sister this morning …. lots of exercise on my arm flabs! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Pretty much plan on doing some exercise every day … aquabics … and maybe some on the gym equipment.

on

I have not reached any of my mini weight goals as I seem to be stuck at around 75kg and have been for 2 weeks. I need to get my head back in and start counting everything again. I have signed up to do a Zumba class as I normally swim but the weather is starting to cool down so I thought I would do something social (I normally exercise alone). Here in France you have to have a medical certificate before you are allowed. So, despite seeing my doctor just 3 weeks ago, I have to go have a full medical, heart, lungs etc. When I last saw him I had lost 5kg and he was chuffed so now I want to lose another kilo before my appt a week today. Gives me an incentive to be really good. The Zumba class is on Monday so they might not let me do it but I will still go along and watch to see how it goes, it is also part of learning to improve my French.

Please log in or register to post a reply.