Weird BG readings.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrGlenn
    on

I took my first reading at 7:30 this morning of 5.8, little bit higher than my usual 5.5ish, so I thought I would let it go down for an hour or so before I have any breakfast, at 9:30 it has shot up to 7.3, why why why. All I did in the mean time was some tidying up, washing up, and a small cup of black coffee. Its this sort of thing that really gets me down.

• posted by Verano
    on

MrGlenn unless you are using insulin I suggest you stop taking finger prick tests. There are so many factors that alter you finger prick BS that you don’t really get a useful number. The only really reliable test is the HbA1c. Don’t let it get you down because it’s not really a true comparison.

• posted by MrGlenn
    on

Cheers, thanks for your reply, I know I have a habit of taking too many readings but day to day its the encouragement I crave. My wife tells me to shut up and just do what the diet needs and not try to trace every molecule of carbohydrate that enters my body.
    I’m 6 weeks in and sort of where I should be but not where I hoped I would be, there are so many stories of massive weight losses and I’m just creeping down, I should be thankful for that I suppose.

• posted by Verano
    on

I don’t know your history or your circumstances but listen to your wife. We women are usually right! I don’t know how much you have to lose but you just have to remember that everyone lose pounds at different rates. Don’t be disheartened if you haven’t had a ‘massive’ weight loss this isn’t a race it’s a new way of life so enjoy! Also don’t forget to measure your waist etc if you haven’t already done that. Inches often disappear even when the scales are static and that is really important because that’s the visceral fat disappearing which is what you really want.

My diabetes, of 5 or 6 years, is now in remission and I’m drug free. I have just been reading a post from BSG whose doctor now says she’s ‘cured’ after well over 18 months of ‘normal’ HbA1c readings.

So log your carbs and calories but don’t drive yourself mad. Just keep following the guidelines and you will reach a new ‘normality’ where simple carbs play little, if any, part. It’s early days for you yet but this does work for both diabetes control and weight loss.

• posted by MrGlenn
    on

Thank you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.