'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Stacey
    on

Week 4 and 6.1kgs lost and feeling good about myself.

But OMG a few days into week 5 and I am craving fat so badly. I find myself having little squares of cheese or a spoon full of greek yogurt on top of my 800. Anyone else find this?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Stacey – maybe this means you are not building enough fat into your calories? The fat does fill you up and it’s not bad for you, as many of us have been told for years.

If you use something like MyFitnessPal, you can enter your food and see what the breakdown carbs/fat/protein is. Possibly you are having a bit too much vegetable carbs/protein, and not enough fat?

Going a little over the calories isn’t too bad – meant to be an average 800, not spot on each day – and if you do it with good stuff, like you say, then you should forgive yourself!!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Wow, Jill 177 – first week 5 lbs is absolutely great!

It may be a good idea to check your calories – I use MyFitnessPal app on iPhone and laptop, but there are other apps if you look – and you can check stuff easily as well as break it down to carbs, fat and protein.

It’s worked for me to keep a good eye on the carbs – many people here try to get between 30gm and 50gm per day, try it and suit yourself. But really important to keep the fat level up as it’s that which makes you feel fuller, and it does help burn the residual fat round your organs and round all the other bits, that we’re trying to get rid of!

• posted by Stacey
    on

Hey Igorasusual I’m am all over MFP and I have my levels set as

Protein – 80gms
    Carbs – 50gms
    Fat – 30gms

I made these up myself. should I lower protein and up fat?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Hi Stacey – you could have a look at the website above, where you enter your stats, and your target calories. You then say what level of carbs you want to do – 50gms looks good – and it calculates the fat and protein for you, and then gives you the percentages (and a table of your likely weight loss over time).

You can then enter the percentages into MFP (My Home, then Goals), and it will recalculate for you. I think your fat looks too low, which might explain why you’re yearning for more. My target for fat, fyi, is 45 gm, or 50% of my calories.

This is what I did – I also bought Ketostix, which measure if you are fat burning in a very simple test, so I can see if I am in ketosis with lowish carbs.

See what you think!

• posted by Stacey
    on

wonderful information. Thank you so much. I have been trying to get hold of ketostix but nowhere has them in stock. My chemist said there seems to be a problem getting them in and I’ve even tried ebay with no sucess!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Stacey – got mine from Amazon. Very swift delivery, plenty of sticks and not too expensive, I thought.

• posted by Stacey
    on

I’m in australia and I find many amazon sellers wont post to me.

Looks like I’m not far off, that website suggests
    70g – P
    50g – C
    35g – F
    and if I look back over MFP weekly averages that seems to be where I am at so I’m going to have that little square of cheese or spoon of yogurt and enjoy the small taste of yummy fat. Its not a bar of chocolate like it used to be!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

If it’s of interest, my carb average over the last 16 days is 35gm per day (couple of difficult meals in there!) and my fat average is 48 gms per day. So far, up to today, which is halfway through my 4th week of doing the BSD properly – with MFP, targeted calorie breakdown, and measuring whether I’m burning fat – I’ve lost a total of 12 lbs which is 8% of my starting body weight.

My overall target for the 8 weeks is 22lbs, or 15% of my starting body weight. Fingers crossed and onwards and upwards – off to an evening party tonight, there will be wine!

• posted by Stacey
    on

Good luck at your party!

Ketostix $22 but $43 for postage on amazon…hmmm maybe not!

• posted by Frog
    on

are you on the right amazon site for your country Stacey?
    I just had a look (I was interested when someone else was writing about them) and they were Β£5 with free delivery (UK).

• posted by Stacey
    on

Hey Frog. Unfortunately Amazon in australia is just books, something to do with licencing and I believe they are planning on expanding but I managed to get a box from an aussie online chemist for $17 (Β£8.50) ! Yay!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

That’s good news, Stacey – and just to let you know, it doesn’t matter how dark the colour indicator is, you are fat burning if you’re recording anything from the lowest fat-burning colour. Or so I established from Google. I am currently in a fetching shade of medium pink on my Ketostix πŸ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

ouch – I use amazon for all kinds of random stuff – and i’m based in central London, so not exactly short on a variety of shops!
    I did go to Waitrose this morning – and found 100% chocolate drops for making hot chocolate, no added sugar. Looking forward to trying those out!
    I also tried some oat biscuits with beetroot and seeds – I’ve not been snacking very much, but I really enjoyed a couple of those with a coffee.

• posted by Loren
    on

Hi Guys! Your stories are so inspirational – reading them has given me a real boost I have been on the bds for 2 weeks now. Lost 11lbs the first week (very suprised) and then 3lbs the second week (a little disheartened). Can’t even bear to work out how much I have got to go so have decided to concentrate on the 8week mark for now , which also happens to be the day I go on hols. I felt shattered until this week (in the middle of week 3 now next weigh in Monday morning) but feeling much more energetic now and have upped my steps. Looking forward to supporting /being supported on the journey. X

• posted by ansiarach
    on

10 days into the diet and 13ib lost so far. Lost 8ib in first 3 days (!) then 2ib over days 4-7 and another 3ib over days 8-10. Simply sticking to the 800 calories per day (mix of recipes from book and replacement shakes) at the moment with only the occasional short walk in terms of exercising. Planning to start following the exercise recommendations from the book starting Wk3.

• posted by Athorn223
    on

I have had 2 babies in 2 years. I gained a lot of weight. Today I have officially lost 40 lbs since I started my weight loss journey in January. Im at my pre-babies weight. I have failed at this more times than I’d like to consider but I got up and kept going. I’m 17 lbs away from 1derland and I’m 35 lbs away from my ultimate goal. Don’t give up! I’m 4 weeks into this plan and it definitely works!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Week 6 Day 1
    Well I didn’t lose any weight or inches in week 5. I have stayed right on the program for 5 weeks and the last two weeks haven’t moved much but I am sure it’s do to traveling this whole time.
    I am having to eat out daily and restaurants have more hidden calories and salt in their foods even though we only get fish and vegies everywhere we go.
    Since we also have been having smoked salmon and berries for one meal each day the salt in the salmon isn’t helping with water retention either.
    Yesterday we were driving for 8 hours so I couldn’t take my meds and am retaining water from doing so as well.
    We get home Saturday night and I am excited to see what week 6 brings once we are eating our own home made foods.
    I am not down because of this, another friend who is a doctor told me our bodies go into hold mode when we travel usually because they recognize we are out of our normal environment and so protect us by not letting us lose much weight when traveling.
    Albeit my hubby and I both still lost weight the first 1/2 week of travel but both went stagnant pretty much after that.
    We stayed on it totally and yesterday were even short calories and carbs.
    More news next week. Just posting in case it helps anyone else who might travel and gets stuck.
    πŸ’œπŸŒ·

• posted by Patsy
    on

No change for me this week. Probably the pizza had something to do with it … Had a couple days where I ate the wrong things. Managed to get back on track though and hope to do better this week.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Patsy
    From your other post, if the weight hasn’t moved, other measurements have!
    I looked up a fantastic recipe for gram flour pizza bases at the weekend – I bought the flour and made them a couple of times when I was doing a low sugar diet in January and they were good. I just wanted to check they were feasible on this diet if I fancy one, rather than hold them in a mental reserve then discover they don’t work for BSD!
    It’s a bit carby, but if you have a real pizza craving, less carby than ordinary pizza! I’ll post it in recipes

• posted by bigP
    on

A day late, but here is my weigh in from yesterday:

6th June 2016 – 89.8kg – 198lbs – 14st 2lbs – BMI 27.7 – 9th week of BSD800 done
    Weekly loss 2.6kg – 5.7lbs

Loss so far:
    Since June 2014 – 50.8kg – 106lbs – 8st
    Since 1st March 2016 – 34kg – 75lbs – 5st 5lbs
    Since 4th April 2016 (beginning of BSD800) – 20.7kg – 46lbs – 3st 4lbs

Off on holiday now so will be taking a break from BSD800 for a while. Looking forward to getting back to it in July.

Current target – 85kg – 187lbs – 13st 5lbs – BMI 26.2 – recent targets were a bit closer together, so this is one a bit further away. I’m assuming that this will take much longer to get to as the weight loss is slowing down.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

No change for me this week either but will keep it up and not too discouraged!

Managed an amazing weekend away and had a great time even while having salads while everyone had chips, and sparkling water while everyone else was knocking back Prosecco! :-)) Didn’t make any difference to the fun though. Did a lot of extra sea swimming and walking and horse riding so am hoping maybe some of it is muscle… though suspect that I just have to keep strictly to the 800 calories if I am to continue losing as I was. Didn’t keep track of calories and probably ate a few too many cashew nuts and a few extra apples than usual. Also had a small amount of dark chocolate, one piece of soda bread and I made healthy amond biscuits (almonds, bicarb of soda, ginger, maple syrup) before I left, to share, which may not have been the best idea. Though then again they probably prevented me eating worse things! It’s kind of amazing though considering what I ate and what my friends ate!! It’s kind of luck of the draw in some ways – it can’t just be simply about only what you eat as some people eat soo much of what’s considered the not overly healthy stuff, and lots of the good stuff, and just never put on weight!! Anyway, glad I didn’t gain anything and will continue on this path for another week! Wasn’t able to drink as much water as usual and I think that made a difference too – definitely important to keep it up, and it’s an easy enough one to do. πŸ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks, Frog. Will try your recipe next time I really want pizza. They have to be a better option than ones with wheat flour.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Especially, it’s good to hear you still had gfun while sticking to the diet.

• posted by Stacey
    on

My weight has been hanging around 71.5-71.9kg for the last week since hubby was home and I havent been as meticulous with weights and measurements. How this though, I had a date night that didnt involve food but did have bubbles and cocktails and the next day I dropped 1kg!! I thought it would go back up but its been 3 days and it hasn’t πŸ™‚ so this week I weight in at 70.8kg a huge 9.2kg lost since April and almost have a 6 at the front of the scales. I’m thinking I should drink champagne and cocktails next time my weight stagnates hahaha

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Thanks Patsy.

Stacey I should have just had a few glasses of Proseco so by the sounds of it :-))))

• posted by Jules72
    on

I have just completed Week 1 and have lost 3.5kg, I am thrilled!
    I was vigilant on 5 of the 7 days, a little bit looser on 2….
    Im encouraged and soldiering on..
    Hunger rumblings most evident when I hop into bed at night

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Bill 1954,
    sorry for the late response – thanks for your advice – I am finding this forum incredibly useful !
    I think I am doing pretty well = about two & half weeks in and have lost 13.5lbs waiting for it to slow down which will be sad ! still learning & hunting the recipes down.
    How are you doing?

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Tallyhoo,

How are you doing ?I am almost three weeks in and I have lost 13.5lb so pretty happy : ) still learning – doing a meal plan for each week is crucial for me ! dot find it much of problem to be honest & enjoying the results

• posted by Frog
    on

well done Smith, round it up & that’s a stone!
    I’ve just finished three weeks and a bit less than that – 5.5kg, but still pleased with that – fitting into trousers and jeans that I haven’t been able to wear in ages!

• posted by Stacey
    on

So got some ketostix and after 3 days of eating around 30-35g carbs the stick finally went pink yay! but my weight still isnt shifting arrgghh! I think I’m frustrated more becuase I’m hovering around 70.7 -70.4kg and I so want to smash through 70kg on the scales. That will also be my 10kg lost, I know this last 6kg is going to be tough so Im sticking to everything without tempation and I know it will happen soon. It has to! Thanks for being there guys, this would be hard and lonely without your posts and support.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Just finished week 6!
    This week I lost 6.6 lbs – on week 6!!!
    Total lost is 24.3 lbs on this plan

Loving it and all the friends here and support! Thanks to everyone for helping me keep going! It seems easy to stay on still and many friends have started it and also lost a lot.

Hugs to all! πŸ’œπŸŒ·

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think it seems to be useless to worry about weight – on Wednesday I seemed to have some sort of stomach upset. Had indigestion (couldn’t pin down a reason for it) and eventually resorted to some Gaviscon, and had an early night.

Thursday I felt better in the morning and was travelling for work – had some eggs for breakfast and a Pret a Manger protein pot for lunch, then stomach was uncomfortable all afternoon and when I got home I decided simply to drink some water and go to bed so final calorie count for the day was only 508, with 11 carbs!

Decided to treat that as a fasting day (no eating between 1pm Thursday and 11.30am Friday), and thought I would see some result on the scales this morning, Friday – but no! 1lb up!!!

On the other hand, looking quite slim. Hello ribs!

And fat burning according to my Ketostix. I’ve not got a lot to lose, and weight loss has not been as dramatic as other people, but I do keep wondering if – after something like the last few days – I will get up and see a kilo or so gone overnight.

not yet….

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Igorasusual,
    Sometimes you just hit a plateau or the body decides to slow things down while it catches up with the changes. Also – I find that once into the BSD I was not moving my bowels daily, but every second day. I generally find that the day I don’t have a bowel movement my weight does not change – may go up a little, the day after the bowel movement my weight drops. Basically – the bowel needs to get to full first and the less I eat the longer that takes – and the poo weights something! That is how I explain it anyhow – probably too much information :-).

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thanks, Orchid – yes, I know all sorts of things affect actual weight πŸ˜‰ Not too much detail, it’s all helpful!

It’s just sometimes you feel that if you’ve hardly eaten anything, then SURELY the kilos will fall – and then they don’t.

So I’m focusing on the measurements, still, and leaving the weight to deal with itself.

From the way I’m feeling at the moment (stomach bug still around, unfortunately), it’s going to be a 414 calorie day with 19 g of carb, as really can’t face dinner, and it may be yet another night with 2 bottles of fizzy water. And possibly some Gaviscon. (it didn’t occur to me to check the calorie/carb count of a teaspoon of that :-0 )

• posted by KJ77
    on

Gutted – I weigh myself each day and today got on the scale and put on 7lbs since yesterday! How – I ate 789 calories – according to my fit bit burnt 3202 calories, drank about 3 and a half litres of water 😒😒

Luckily I have written it off to hormones – maybe water retention coz of warmer weather so it hasn’t demotivated me, hopefully scale will drop back down in the next day or 2!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Get a new scale – that is too big a jump! Unless you are readying for your monthly visit.

• posted by KJ77
    on

I might put some new batteries and try again tomorrow!

• posted by Jill177
    on

In week 2 I have lost 2 lb, which makes a total of 7 lb.

What I have noticed, is a difference in my shape. I seem to have lost the roll of fat that used to stick out over my waist band, and yesterday I wore a pair of trousers that were uncomfortable last time. Now they fit comfortably.

Don’t get me wrong, I still have a lot of weight to lose, but its great to see a difference.

• posted by thepolly
    on

12 stone 2 pounds, loss of 1st 8lbs in 8 weeks 5 days so all good.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Oh that’s a great idea KJ 77!!!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Jill I just said that to my husband as well! I have only lost less than 25 lbs but I have lost about 6 sizes!! It’s awesome!
    Congrats to you! πŸ’œπŸŒ·

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Back from holiday. Last Saturday weigh before I travelled 11 st 10 lb. day I travelled 11 st 8 lb. home yesterday. Weight today 11 st 6lbπŸ˜ƒ

After 2 days travelling and 9 days with friends in Italy, eating out at other homes & restaurants I wondered what scales would show, so delightedπŸ˜ƒ

Oh, fasting blood glucose this morning 4.3 πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Tibetan
    on

Hello I’m back!

After a few half hearted attempts and inconvenient things like a cruise πŸ™ I’ve taken a deep breath and made today my new Day 1.

Gulp, weight is 90.5kg. I’ve 7 clear weeks before I go on holiday so decided it’s now or never!

Very excited that today will be the day that makes the rest of my life healthier.

Thank you for all your posts, I’ve loved reading them. You are a great bunch of people and I look forward to getting to know you all as we support each other.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Good luck Tibeten, its great to have something to aim for – youll do great!πŸ˜‡

Brilliant to hear all the successes, holidays and all!😊

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Captainlynne
    That’s a brill set of results ,everyone should aim to carry on the life style on holiday as it is after all a life style approach not a temporary approach to good health
    But those BS results are truly amazing I haven’t looked at your starting bs and would be curious how you progressed
    I’m eight weeks down the line two stone lighter but still get morning readings of 7-3
    And on 4 metformin a day !
    I’m going to start reducing them one by one over eight weeks and monitor difference
    alanhypno

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi Alanhypno, I’m also on diabetes.co.uk and I think I read on there that fbg is not the lowest of the day despite what people on there have been told. I think overall is probably more important as in the hba1c tests. Mine are not consistent really they seem to go up and down a few days of each. So I’ve not noticed a pattern in them really – related to food.

Might because I like to eat a lot of different foods in each meal πŸ˜€

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Alan and thepolly

Before I started the BSD I could never get my fasting blood sugar below 7, although readings were good later in the day. I have never taken diabetes medication, but was being threatened with Metformin shortly before I started the BSD. The day I started BSD fasting blood sugar was 10.9. After 8 weeks it was 5.3. Since then it is consistently between 4 and 5.

For completeness, my HbA1c results were: July 2015 – 8.7, December 2015 (just before starting 800 BSD) – 9.6, January 2016 (one month into BSD) – 8.7, April 2016 – 5.5. My diabetes nurse had to look at the conversion chart because she’d never seen such a low HbA1c!

I have another HbA1c scheduled in July. When that result comes in I’ll see the GP and ask for a change of diagnosis from diabetic.

Some people do find it difficult to lower their fasting result (as I did) but I have found that – for me – going low carb has greatly improved that level as well as making the levels through the day more consistent. And lowering the fasting level can only improve the HbA1c result.

• posted by thepolly
    on

thanks, captainlynne. I’ve been mostly eating a meal a day lately so have a very long fasting period. Mostly my blood sugar at 6.30pm has been between 4.5 and 6 so it is coming down. FBG is mostly in the 6’s. I say fasting but I do like a nibble of cheese at night sometimes, probably after reading the comments on this forum on morning glory or whatever the thing is that makes you burn lots of stored sugar in order to get you moving first thing :D…. eating a high fat thingy before bed doesn’t seem to affect this for me.

Glad your results were still lovely after your holiday.

• posted by Izzy
    on

excuse me for bounding in all excited but I’ve made 10% with just two days of my 8 weeks left I was beginning to think I wouldn’t make it! didn’t lose anything in week 7 but that’s 2 off so far this week.

So near to graduating πŸ™‚

well done to all for continuing success and weathering the stormy plateau’s

Please log in or register to post a reply.