Type 2 on insulin , avoiding hypos

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi I commenced the 8 week diet and am now into my 3rd week and have lost eight kilos to date. My bgl readings have improved and I am really pleased with the results to date.

I take insulin, Byetta 10 and diabex 1000xr pre breakfast and dinner and have reduced my insulin doses to avert hypos. Over the last week as my weight has decreased and with my bgls averaging around the 5.2 range my post meal readings have been in the low 3’s and last night 2.9. Whilst I have not felt any illness I am concerned regarding the possibility of having a hypo and have had jelly beans etc to stabilise my figures and avert having a hypo.

What do others in similar situations do or what suggestions are there regarding suitable foods that will quickly restore my blood glucose levels without to much detriment to the eating plan?

I have lowered my insulin doses by two units morning and evening from this morning in accordance with my improved blood glucose readings.

Any advice / suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Cameron

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Cameron, you sound as though you have control of your own meds. I dont know about the 2 meds you mentioned (I have heard of Byetta) – is the diabex a tablet. When I started I was on 40 units of Lantus evenings only but supplemented with 90 mg of glicazide tablets. I found that I could slowly reduce the insulin (around 1 unit per week when the diet was going well so as not to shock the body) but was getting hypos in the afternoons, especially after exercise at around 4pm. Sometimes as low as 63 (3.5) – when I researched I found that the glicazide was known to cause hypos so reduced by 30 mg to 60 mg. When I spoke to my doctor he suggested I try to get the insulin down further as a first point as it is the needles I want rid of – tablets I dont mind – but eventually I want to be drug free. Been doing this for a year and a bit and sometimes there is no reduction for weeks and sometimes i have to increase a bit for holidays etc but to keep the glicazide at 60 mg. My insulin is down to 20 units, so going in the right directions but dont expect this to be a quick fix – it is for some but usually they are pre-diabetics or recently diagnosed – I have had it for 12 years.

Solution to your hypos, throw away the jelly beans, my go to was jam and bread – as we know it defeats the object of trying to keep blood sugars lowish and trying to lose weight. I would exercise and then have to eat. Now when I get low I have 2 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt and 2 prunes, give it 15/20 mins and if I am still low I either repeat it or have a slice of cold meat or a small chunk (30 grams) of full fat cheese. By then it has usually passed. So the solution is to get your sugars back up using BSD friendly foods and ditch the sweets, jams and fruit juices. It works. Keep yourself safe and good luck.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, thank you for your reply and the suggested BSD friendly food options. I too am hoping to be needle free and am excited to have found and commenced this lifestyle change.
    I will give Your suggestions a try rather than the jelly beans and other sweets. I don’t eat yoghurt or other dairy products but we have prunes , dried apricots etc so will give those or a bit of cold meat a try next time this occurs. My figures track very steadily it is the prebedtime figure which has been on the low side, (3.2 last night). I have reduced the insulin by 4 units on Monday as per medical advice and am currently taking 4 units in the am and 6 units in the evening. (These figures have reduced by over 50% to what I was taking) I have another appointment with my medical team in 3 weeks so will monitor my readings and reduce my pm dose by 2 units should the current trend continue.
    Thanks again for your help I truly appreciate it. (Diabex is a tablet, metformin extended release)

on

Hi Cameron, as you say you cannot have dairy do not make the mistake of having more prunes to combat the hypo – prunes are still high in sugar (although natural) that is nearly as bad as the jelly beans. Just 2 prunes eaten with some fat source – so prunes and chicken breast, prunes and ham, prunes and nuts, prunes and a slice of avocado. The prunes are there to give you a sweet kick for the hypo but you dont want too much – failing that, half a glass of pure unsweetened apple juice with a fat source.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi again sunshine-girl,
    Thank you for your suggestions and advice which I will definitely use should the need arise. I really want to keep away from the jelly beans , sweets etc as I don’t want to undo all the hard work. Another kg down at the end of my third week for a loss to date of 9kg. More importantly my blood glucose readings have improved and my daily average is tracking at 5.4 and as mentioned previously I have been able to reduce my insulin injections.

Thanks again for your support

Regards

Cameron

on

Hi again Cameron – something struck me last night but I forgot to mention it to you as it is something I hate. For hypos try a tablespoon of peanut butter – yuk I hate it but it might work for you. I have just done a reading at it was 57 or 3.1 so I have resorted to a Cadbury Roses chocolate – not often I do that but dont think I have ever gone so low. Followed by a slice of ham and I will go test again now.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi sunshine-girl thanks again for another reply and suggestion. I will most definitely give this suggestion a try as I too have been reverting to a Cadbury roses chocolate (or two) and would much prefer to try the peanut butter option. My post dinner blood readings have continued to be in the low 3’s so it has been a nightly occurrence since my initial post . I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse next Monday so hopefully we can rejig my medications to avert this trend continuing.
    I have lost 10kg’s as at the end of week 4 and am mindful of undoing all the hard work by having extras to avert the chance of a hypo but don’t want to take the risk of having one by ignorining the low readings.
    As always thanks for your support and advice. (Hope the peanut butter worked for you)

Regards

Cameron

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Cameron and sunshine girl

Apologies for butting in to your post, Cameron, but I wondered if either of you could help. Can someone with Type II diabetes but not on insulin (or any medication at the moment) go too low in terms of blood sugar and have a hypo and if so what is the danger range in terms of Bgl numbers? Sorry if it’s a naïve question but I only got my diagnosis a couple of months ago and have been concentrating on getting my numbers down – never thought about getting to a point where they may be too low.

My numbers have been in the 4’s and 5’s (with the odd low 6) but last week while I was away I had a reading of 3.9. It was in the evening, and as my fasting blood sugar is usually the lowest of the day I was worried that it could go lower overnight. I felt fine but had some yoghurt and berries just in case. Saw this topic so thought I’d ask.

Congratulations Cameron on your results to date – best wishes both.
    Marie

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi Marie,
    Thank you for your best wishes. Low bgl’s are more of an issue for those of us on insulin as it can bring our figures down too low if we take too much. This does not appear to be the case when controlled by diet alone (although for peace of mind I would seek proper medical advice)
    In my circumstance I have gone from 12 units pre breakfast and 34 units pre dinner to 4 units for both on novamix 30 along with metmorfin and Byetta.
    The bgls you have quoted are heading in the right direction and I would think following this plan would assist you in your quest to avoid medication.

Good luck as we continue on this worthwhile lifestyle change

Regards
    Cameron

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Cameron,
    Thanks for your reply and the information. I will check with the practice nurse next time I see her. Sometimes there just seems so much to learn about diabetes.
    10 kilos is a brilliant weight loss in 4 weeks – not surprised you’re so pleased with how things are proceeding. It definitely is a worthwhile lifestyle change – I feel so much healthier now than I did when I started out almost 8 weeks ago. Hope you get the medication sorted out at the meeting with the Diabetes nurse, and best wishes for your continued success and increased health in the next four weeks!
    Marie

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi Marie, yes you never stop learning with diabetes but sounds like you are on the right track with your care and management. It is certainly a roller coaster with ups and downs over the journey but provided you keep an eye on your own immediate reactions you can still lead a fulfilling and happy life.
    I hope you too continue to reap the benefits of this lifestyle and wish you continued success in your diabetes control now and beyond. Keep up the good work

Best wishes

Cameron

Please log in or register to post a reply.