This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sorry to hear you’re unwell Judith.
    I’ve been up to my eyes in paperwork so just in and out of here quickly.
    This is a hard learning curve finding which foods we can eat without horrible side effects like that.
    Hope you’re feeling better tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Ouch, get well soon x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Bill, jackiemac , lynne, christine and eureka, I took two paracetamol at bedtime and slept well.
    My body is so chemical sensitive the paracetamol work like a sleeping tablet. I’ve only ever met one other person they do that too.
    Anyone on these forums get the same result?

I’m still amazed that 4 of us have toes which do a Vulcan salute, after years of thinking I was alone,so who knows? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Pleased you managed a good nights sleep Judith, it can be a great healer in itself.
    I’m useless with my toes although I can pick things up with them.
    I was always proud as a young un that I could switch between Vulcan salute and Robin Williams nanu nanu salute.
    My 6 year old granddaughter who has severe autism can use an ipad with each hand and control a third with her foot (they have 4 in the house so there’s always one charged. If not there’s a guaranteed meltdown).

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Bill1954
    How are you doing? Eyes ok I do hope?
    I can pick stuff up with my toes too & I can write with them! And wiggle my little toes. Think there’s a monkey in there somewhere? ๐Ÿ’
    Your little granddaughter sounds very accomplished with toes & iPads. Mine won’t keep socks on & grabs & runs off with any unattended iPad. She’s 3 & can work it better than me.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Bill,how does she do that?! She’s a genius! Some autistic children are extremely clever – and being able to focus on something they like can increase their ability in that area.
    Have you downloaded the piano keyboard app? I wonder if she would like it? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FiFiP
    on

There’s a brilliant drawing app too, it’s very clever!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    How are you doing this morning? I hope you are feeling a little better.
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine I’m slightly better, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Very strange sugar readings yesterday.
    After weeks of being in the normal range, I woke up yesterday toa FBS reading of 10.8, higher than before I started the BSD
    By teatime that was down to 4.2
    I’m not unduly worried about the high reading as the rest of the daily readings are ok but it did pose a question.
    The FBS reading is taken at the end of your fasting period which, for most, is before breakfast, but I never eat breakfast so, should I be taking my FBS reading pre lunch as that is actually the end of my fasting period?
    I know for a fact I’d get lower readings but would that be cheating the meter?
    Open to the wise of the BSD to give their opinions. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Bill1954
    It’s strange! Wonder if your Dawn Phenomenon has shifted?
    I fast from 6pm – 8am ‘ish 15 – 16 hrs daily. 2 weeks off my meds but fluctuating FBS? I eat breakfast then only one more meal a day. Sometimes only one meal if stuff gets in the way! ( not good)
    I noticed my FBS is higher before breakfast but lower if I test before midday if I move my first meal time for that day!
    My reflux has gone so don’t want to eat cheese or yoghurt late before bed to jeopardise that.
    It’s a suck it & see situation for me & obviously got to keep on top of monitoring my bloods. I’m nowhere near my personal fat threshold yet I feel.
    You have done so well on all counts. Let’s hope it’s an aberration that you can quickly sort out

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Looks like just a blip.
    My reading pre food tonight was 4.2
    Happy days ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

More power to your elbow Bill! Glad the readings are better. How’s your son-in-law doing with the diet?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He he, he’s devastated, he only lost 4 ounces this week but he has really increased his daily gym session so building muscle.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Well I have finally got back onto the site although I have read all the posts in my e-mail, had 100’s in my e-mail box after I came back from holiday! Well done to everyone you are doing so well. I had fab Good Friday and manic Monday, decided to have a small piece of easter egg but ended up eating the lot, clearly not quite got the sugar addiction under control. Since then because I had reached my goal weight of around 9st 7lb I decided I would go for the maintenance plan. I came back from holiday only 2 lb heavier but have not yet managed to lose it yet because I think I have gradually had too much to eat. All was reasonably well until the weekend when I blew it by having wine 3 days in a row and a large bread bun and probably too much to eat on the Saturday. I have managed not to have potatoes, pasta or rice and very little alcohol since I started diet but have had odd half slice of bread and porridge once or twice a week which seemed to be working well. I was doing 10,000 steps each day and only been doing half as much over last few weeks. For the last couple of days I have had a headache and last night I had really severe headache in middle of night, couldn’t sleep, drank water in case I was dehydrated along with a paracetamol which didn’t help at all. Before I started this diet a lot of nights were like this and until last night I did not realise how well I was feeling by eating a low carb diet so will need to get back to good eating before it becomes a pattern. I have always believed that these night headaches were caused by my blood sugar but my GP always said it wasn’t. I find it a bit disappointing that this has happened even though it is of my own making. I thought that as I have far less carbs now than I ever have had that I wouldn’t have a problem. Hopefully I am not more sensitive to carbs after following this diet. I did my fasting blood sugar this morning and I was surprised that it was 4.6 which is lower than usual. Could a low blood sugar give you a headache? Anyway will go back to having small snack before I go to bed and hopefully headache will improve over next few days. On a more positive note did 10,600 steps today.
    Hashimoto – I read a post of yours about paracetamol helping you sleep, it always helped me and I used them a lot after problems with my neck and cracked rib but got addicted to them so rarely take them now. Co-codamol was good for helping me to sleep but that clearly is not the answer for me now.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Interesting to see how drastic an effect the carbs can have. I was wondering if not having carbs for ages makes you more sensitive as well. It’s academic though I suppose unless you knew how they affected you before you started the BSD.

I have yet to start monitoring my BS readings but am wondering if anyone can tell my what 88 mmol means in the decimal way of reading blood sugars?

Great on getting back to your steps, Shadow2.

Bill that is really multi-tasking and then some ๐Ÿ˜€

Polly x

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I was having a think last night.
    3 years ago, long before the BSD, I was just under 21 stones. I was prescribed the exanatide injections which have the side effect of reducing the appetite and I went down to 16 stone 9 pounds which was my BSD starting weight.
    Of course I’m delighted with the total weight loss but, the way I’m heading, I can equal the drug induced weight loss just by eating properly.
    If I had that information from day 1 I would never have had to go onto the injections. Lets hope that the growing trend to low carb eating for T2D’s ensures that furure generations can be drug free from the day of diagnosis.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Yep, Bill!!
    For all those who haven’t yet heard of or signed our petition just do it and get the word out there!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

On the question of do we get more sensitive to carbs as a result of not eating them for a prolonged period. Its only my opinion but I think it makes sense that yes, we do notice the negative effects of carbs more. They do things to our bodies that we never knew because we have been eating them since we were babies. Think about this – your first drink after milk and maybe before water was probably fruit juice and one of your first ever meals was likely to have been pureed fruit! So its no wonder we never realised how they truly make us feel until we stop having them finally as adults.

I believe that not only will they make us more ill now than ever as a result of a diet like this, but also we will notice it more because we are finally realising what truly good health feels like.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’ve said from day 1 that I wanted to get to 13.5 stones by my holiday on June 9th.
    Todays weigh in shows another 2 pounds lost so I’m 14 stone 2.
    That’s a total loss of 2.5 stones and 9 pounds to lose in 5 weeks ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Just need to push a wee bit harder, wish it would warm up, I lose weight faster and eat less when it’s warm.
    Had the odd erratic sugar reading this week, not too bad but thinking back, I think I let the fluid intake slip during a very stressful work week so that’s something to watch this week.
    Good luck to everyone for this weeks weigh in and, as always,
    Onwards and upwards ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Well done, you will definitely reach that target Bill. Really pleased for you! Keep up the good work – you’re an inspiration x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill I’m crossing my fingers for you! You deserve to hit that 13.5 stones for your holiday ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill. You’ll hit that target ๐Ÿ˜ƒ You are doing really well – keep thinking of that holiday. You deserve it!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Lynne
    Sorry for the late reply, I’m really snowed under at work at the moment and don’t find a lot of time to post
    No weight loss this week which was a wee bit upsetting as I won’t hit the 13.5 ston mark by June 9th, BUT
    I went shopping yesterday ๐Ÿ™‚
    I started this plan with a 46″ waist
    Yesterday I slipped easily into a size 38″ jeans – 8 inches gone off my waist AND
    All my shirts and T shirts were XXXL now into XL shirts ( I like them a bit loose) and L in a Tee shirt
    I was dancing around the shop floor, folk must have me labelled as a proper nutter ๐Ÿ˜€
    Talk about every cloud has a silver lining ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Brilliant news Bill!! Absolutely delighted for you and that the hard work is paying off!!

: )

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill

Good to hear from you. Was hoping it was work keeping you from posting and that you hadn’t abandoned us๐Ÿ˜ณ

Brilliant news about the difference in sizes. So you’re stocking up on holiday clothes๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I go away 31st May, back 10th June.

Really glad to have you back with us!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yeah I have managed to have a quick scan through the posts at home but the OH tends to use the PC a lot and I find my tablet very hard to type on, but I am keeping in touch, especially you Lynne, your results continue to be amazing, still my BSD poster girl ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well it turns out, after checking the calendar, that I’m at the beginning of week 16 !!! doesn’t time fly
    Really excited this week to see that my weight has dipped under the 14 stone mark for the first time in thirty years ๐Ÿ˜€ 13:13 on the scales this week and a real possibility of hitting that 13:7 mark by the 9th of June and my holidays.
    I caught a nasty virus over the weekend which has sent my sugar readings into meltdown so I’m not even going to test again until I feel 100% again
    nice to see this week, more and more info in the press re low carb eating, the message is starting to get out despite the naysaying “experts”,
    Best of luck to you all on this weeks results and as always (do I even need to say it?)
    Onwards and upwards ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Frog
    on

wow, congratulations Bill, that’s great.
    Must have cheered you up if you’re feeling grotty, hope that you’re feeling better soon.

There’s quite a long article on the BBC website “Public Health England: Advice to eat more fat ‘irresponsible’ that I read last night. If you believed everything you read you’d end up eating nothing at all!!!!

I’m back under 100kg again – the first two days I lost 2.5kg, and then had a couple of days of putting teeny bits on again, which was dispiriting, even though they were small increases – this morning (day 6) I’m back to where I was at the start of day 3.
    Only one day that sneaked above 800 calories (860), I think its a combination of my body getting used to the “new normal” and me needing to get a more rigorous walking and exercise regime in place.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Bill1954,
    Sorry to read that you’ve been sick.
    It’s very exciting that your numbers now start with 13! I’m yet to get there. I know if I stay as focused as you and the other veterans that I will achieve it.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Frog
    yes it can be a bit hitty missy at first as your body readjusts to the new energy source but just stick to it and it will work itself out.
    That’s why I don’t have scales in the house (caused by an ex who was addicted to the bloody things and her day was good or bad depending on the mornings weight)
    I just walk to the chemist every Saturday at the same time and use their scales, it works for me. So many people are getting upset at erratic daily readings even though it’s common knowledge that you weight can vary naturally by up to 4 pounds in the course of a day.
    Don’t worry about the small plateaux etc, it’s the long haul that counts ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Bill – I didn’t get too hung up about it, after 40-50 years of veering between diets/not bothering & putting it on again, I know that I usually loose some fast when I start a new eating plan, then have a bit of an adjusting phase.
    Being under 100kg has been a perennial block for quite a few years, so I WILL keep plugging away until its 90,… 80… 70……hopefully even 60!
    I think I wrote on another thread, I read something recently about reaching a target weight, then continuing to weigh yourself daily AND ADJUSTING FOOD ACCORDINGLY to ensure that you stay within a kilo of that.
    It may sound like common sense to a lot of people, but it was a real light bulb moment for me “oh, that’s how people do it”- so I won’t be ditching the scales!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Just do what works best for you Frog, it’s the only way to go.
    I purposefully tried to keep things as simple as possible for myself from the outset hence the scales thing and the not counting calories because, if it gets too complicated I know I wouldn’t stick to it.
    I wouldn’t dream of trying to force my way on others, loads of folk are doing it other ways and getting great results.
    When I get to target I’ll see how I’m going to work it out but probably I’ll do the same as Judith (Hashimoto) and just slowly increase the calories until the weight stabilises.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill

Hope you’re feeling better. Soon be in the 16 week clubhouse. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Bill, been reading many topics and you strike me as one of the real success stories, so I wanted to say I had to smile when I read your first – “Today for lunch Iโ€™m experiencing the pleasures ๐Ÿ™ of home made humus with carrot and celery dipping strips” – it’s good to know it wasn’t all plain sailing at the start, makes it more encouraging somehow. (hummus happens to be one thing I do like….)

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yeah I suppose it was a bit weird at the time.
    There were nowhere near as many recipes on site, almost all of them have been uploaded by the members over the last 4 months (is that really all it’s been? )
    We all sort of got inventive and did some research re low carb flours etc, my first cocunut flour pancakes went straight into the bin with the frying pan still attached to them ๐Ÿ˜€
    The great thing now, is that this place, while always being a brilliant source of support, is now a wonderful knowledge base and that knowledge has been accumulated by real people who have experienced the diet. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

It’s nice to start with so many recipes and so many posts to read, it helps any questions.
    So what were the second coconut flour pancakes like? Or didn’t you dare ๐Ÿ™‚
    One thing I feel a bit apprehensive about is that there isn’t experience on here of those that have done it and kept the weight off, e.g.. for a few years! That’s my trouble

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi Baristagirls, there is a tonne of evidence that similar diets used to be what was advised pre 1970’s. I recently read Dr Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code and he cites all sorts of research and evidence about this way of eating working done over decades- so take heart – it really is tried and tested ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Day 3 and not so bad. Pleased with 3lb 6oz weight loss since Monday morning. My mum has lost more! The downside is that I’m sitting here thinking “so I should lose that much, I feel so hollow inside!”
    Does anyone have an issue where they log in to make a post and it keeps logging you out?

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Yep! There’s a software glitch or 2 Baristagirls, drives me nuts; also can’t reply on the ‘live-page’ have to go back a few pages before it will let me log in!

Do try for 10k steps every day, minimum, drink loads of water + if you get the munchies go for a few almonds or a Babybel cheese (one of those round ones) not a disaster calorie-wise + the fat helps keep hunger pangs at bay.

I eat in a small time-window, breakfast at 10, lunch at 2 and dinner 6.30 – 7.00 helps with weight-loss + by parking my bottom in front of the TV straight after dinner, I can forget about food!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Drinking lots ๐Ÿ™‚ wallowing in the stuff! I usually drink quite a lot anyway so not a problem.
    10K steps is a problem…. my work is mostly computer based….. bad…. I try to use any excuse to get up for anything.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I’m peeing for Britain too! LoL!

Not sure how you get to work Baristagirls, but if it’s public transport you could always get off a stop or 2 earlier, go for a walk at lunchtime, or after work? I try to walk for an hour every day + a bit longer at weekends, it’s much easier now the days start earlier + it’s so light in the evenings. I have arthritis in my feet and it hurts but am determined to shift some more bulk, am 2 stone down and 1 more to go, poss 1.5, depending upon how I feel when I hit my tgt!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Mum Speaking:), yep I’ve lost 3.14oz when I weighed this morning, hurray. Not finding it as difficult as my daughter, haven’t felt hungry……..never do when I cut out carbs!! Felt a bit irritable in evening on day 1 but that has passed. Haven’t had the hollow feeling either. The test for me is, do I have the will power to stick to this for eight weeks? I’ve tried all sorts of diets, good for the first few weeks and then everything seems to go wrong. I am hoping I lose enough, quickly enough to keep the motivation up. Lots of lovely clothes in my wardrobe I want to fit into:):)

• posted by jillyB
    on

Hi, Baristagirls,
    Re being logged out. Yes, it has happened to me twice, this week was the second time and I am getting very angry. What usually happens is one day I suddenly can’t find the ‘reply’ on people’s posts and when I go looking for it I am told to log in. When I do, it keeps telling me my password is wrong, so I click on ‘forgot your password ?’ Back comes an automated reply with a new password of 16 characters of gobblygook, which I most certainly don’t want, but decide to use just to get on. Still says wrong password. After many tries I get in touch with the tech, wait about 5 days, getting angrier and angrier until I start getting quite rude to them. Then I get angry with myself for getting rude !! The best way to get a quicker answer is…..don’t reply on their initial E-mail about changing passwords, but find “search” top right corner and put in “contact” . This will give you a place to vent your spleen and then you get somewhere. I ask for my original password and they do this for me. A stiff drink helps a bit ! But they are very nice and helpful when you DO get through. You have my condolences after just going through this again.

jillyB

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

How annoying! I haven’t had to change my password, just keep logging in as soon as I go to the last page! Typically, it’s ok this minute …….

• posted by jillyB
    on

Baristagirls

Pleased for you that you are not having quite the same outcome. I saw someone else tonight [ yes, it is night here ] and they were having problems, too. The tech explained to me that because it is all automated it can experience the odd glitch now and again……obviously !
    Good night, off to bed.
    jillyB

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Fifip,
    More good advice, thank you, I will try the eating’window’ I’m getting a few good bits of advice on the forum tonight!
    Christine

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Not a good week I have to say.
    After thinking I had got past the virus at the weekend, it hit me like a sledgehammer on Wednesday and caused a really nasty chest infection. I’ve had to change my bedding daily due to the night sweats and the OH insists I was hallucinating and fighting with someone. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Any how there would have been no weigh in this week if I hadn’t went to the docs and then the chemist for antibiotics I had only managed to eat 2 eggs between wed lunchtime and today.
    So, I can’t take any credit for this but the scales said 13:9 ! That’s 4 pounds down this week, 3 stones in total gone, and, only 2 pounds to go to my first target of 13.5 stones by my holidays on the 9th.
    Not the best way to lose weight but effective ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Best of luck to all this week, and…….. Onwards and upwards ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Bill, get well soon! Don’t want to be negative but a word of caution – I was ill for a few days and lost a few pounds. Couple of days later back to the weight I had been before illness. So don’t get disheartened if it happens to you. And have a great holiday when it comes…

• posted by FiFiP
    on

One way to get there Bill! Great results, you must be hop, skip + ajumpin’ at the thought of the new, slim-line you in your beach kit!!

I’m now 2stone down + looking forward to my hols too, especially my new size 16 swimming costume – fits like a dream, no stretching over white lard, my body shape has shifted so much!

Just another 1.5st to go!

Please log in or register to post a reply.