This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Well done FifiP you must feel fantastic! Enjoy your holiday.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Thank you JackieMac!

Just costing a fortune in new clothes…

; )

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Bill1954,

I hope you’re feeling better. That virus was a nasty one…..and it left you with a chest infection.
    Look after yourself and give yourself time to get well.
    I’m sure OH is helping you and saying the same things.
    I hope it wasn’t the shock of the minion onesie that affected your immune system.
    Looks like you will reach your weight loss target by June 9th. With all of this it will be a well deserved holiday.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi folk,
    Unfortunately it got worse, all the coughing from the infection triggered a retinal bleed in my right eye yesterday so yet again, I’ll be going on holiday with one working eye.
    Devastated doesn’t come close to the way I’m feeling.
    Thanks for all the wishes, I need to go and get my act together now rather than hanging around like a limp balloon

• posted by Izzy
    on

sorry to discover you’ve not been well Bill, Hope you feel better now and that you can enjoy your holiday despite the eye problem πŸ™

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Bill, so sorry about your eye problems. That’s just not fair. πŸ˜₯ I really hope you have a quick recovery. Sending you lots of love and hugs. xxx

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Bill,

Nasty virus!

Sorry to hear that you have a recurrence of the retinal bleed…still I am sure that won’t stop you from having a wonderful, relaxing time on your holiday. Some time away will give you chance to recover. We’ll miss you!

Have fun,

Imogen🌻

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry to hear that Bill. Hope you still enjoy your holiday.

*group hug for Bill* 🌻

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Aw Bill what a bummer. Hope your eye recovers quickly. You’ll just need to take it easy, that’s what holidays are for. I hope you get the chance to please other holidaymakers with your mankini 😲 have a great holiday you really deserve to. X

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Bill,

Just wondering how you are – but don’t want to be intrusive.
    OH is going to be so proud of you on holidays – a mankini and a minion onesie!
    Best wishes.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Switzerland
    I’m just coming out of the other side now but, unfortunately OH is just going down with it now and it’s a 14 day thing so she is going to be unwell when we go πŸ™
    Probably the minion onesie would be the best fit for me as I’ll be going with just one eye.
    I suppose a few days in the heat will do us both the world of good though.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Sorry to hear OH is unwell…sounds like the two of you really need this holiday.
    Warm weather works a treat when you’re getting over chesty things.
    God’s speed.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Bill, hope that DH rallies in time for your holiday.

I do empathise with the eye problem, my eye issues are hereditary but watching my mum go blind will stay with me forever & I know how upsetting bleeds and the like can be. Hopefully relaxation, a couple of glasses of something nice & a change of scene will do the trick for you both!

We are off on hols too in 10 days’ time, know it will be challenging diet-wise namely pasta type things (going to Italy) but Husband has already said that we’ll go for the meats & fish and all the lovely Mediterranean foods instead, cutting ourselves some slack for wine in the evenings! Am also determined to do plenty of swimming too, in-between the sight-seeing.

2stone gone now, Husband close behind me, we both have 1.5 to go and although we are closer to I,000 calories a day our weight-loss is still very encouraging, we know the last bits of stubborn fat will be the hardest, but this is now a lifestyle, not a short-term fix.

Onwards & downwards we cry!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi FiFiP
    Thanks for the kind comments
    I’m used to this sort of thing usually, it just hit me at a time when I was particularly low and that made me more upset than I usually would be.
    Good news is the OH has rallied significantly today so she should be ok (last night it was “I won’t be going” πŸ™‚ )
    Again, I know my recovery pattern and can tell within the first few days how long it will take, this is going to be around the 6 week mark πŸ™ but I’m determined not to let it spoil my holiday.
    Turkey is fantastic for low carb high quality food so I’m looking forward to that, just got to lose that last 2 pounds by next week to hit my target.
    Hope you have a fab time in Italy

Bill

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I’d like to lose 2lbs in 10 days too, let’s see what we can do!

Rock & roll ; )

• posted by jillyB
    on

FiFiT,

My husband said that if you can go to Italy and not eat the wonderful foods, you deserve another trip !!
    We have been there 3 times and certainly didn’t come back any slimmer, nor even stay the same.

Have a great holiday,
    jillyB

• posted by captainlynne
    on

JillyB

I’m in Italy on holiday. πŸ˜ƒ Yesterday friends took me to a really good gelato place. I looked at the menu, checked with the waitress, and ordered ….. sparkling water! They had milk-free ice cream, but not sugar-free! I have to say I sat there looking at the creations they ordered and thought I must be mad😱 So far have avoided carbs. No pasta. Went shopping for foods I can eatπŸ˜ƒ Friend’s mother & brother arriving shortly and birthday cake made for the brother – Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake. Smelt wonderful last night. Onwards and upwards (or is it downwards?) x

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    well done on avoiding the ice cream and cake- I bet that was harder than saying “No” to the food on the plane!
    Sounds like your having a great time, enjoy

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Frog

Portions were huge! Have to say the frozen yogurt with berries and cream on top looked great😳 I was asked if I wanted some berries but didn’t know if they’d been soaked in syrup. Safe, not sorry! Was asked if 800 calories was too low/unhealthy. Just said I’ve been doing this for 6 months, do I look unhealthy? End of conversation. πŸ˜ƒ Friends I’m staying with are great asked what I can eat and we went shopping. They eat what they want and I eat what I want. πŸ˜ƒ I just need to get past being embarrassed and apologetic about situations like yesterday!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Sounds like you are having a ball CaptainLynne! Really enjoying yourself without going mad, shows us all it can be done!

Husband + I won’t have issues with cakes, pastries or pasta as these didn’t feature much pre-diet and certainly not now; it’ll be the wine + breads which will present the threat! Mind you as we have ascertained that there’s zero tolerance on drinking ANY alcohol + driving, wine will be restricted to dinner time, when we do plan on sharing a bottle.

Lots of steps every day + some swimming should keep weight-gains within reason, am not expecting to come back the same weight as I go, but after 11 weeks in NZ, Australia, Singapore + Vietnam last year, I only put on 2lbs. Which considering how much wine was consumed over 7 weeks in NZ was a real result!! Taken a while to lose 2st, need to lose another 1.5 + am not going to shoot myself in the foot after all this effort!

; )

• posted by jillyB
    on

captainelynne,

Pleased you are enjoying yourself in Italy. What wonderful will power you are showing. Not sure that I could do that. I am a real italiphile with my food, learnt how to make real Italian food, even the pasta…cutting, layering, stuffing, the whole works. Living in Melbourne is very inductive for eating Italian but I have been extremely good and haven’t cheated even once. I have visited Italy 3 times and stuffed myself silly ! Managed to avoid the tourista food and found little hidden places to eat well and authentically.
    Have a great time
    jillyB

• posted by captainlynne
    on

JillyB

I wondered how I would cope in Italy. Not sure if staying with friends is easier or harder! They take me to other friends who don’t know what I’m doing. So I have to explain again. Getting some strange looksπŸ˜ƒ

Visitors today so a cake baked last night. They ate some after lunch while I enjoyed black coffee πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

I’m so glad you and the OH are on the mend Bill. Have a great holiday, you deserve it. πŸ˜€
    Well done Lynne on staying strong on your holidays πŸ˜‡ . You have such amazing willpower, the desire to lose those last pounds must be so strong. You really deserve a BSD biggest loser award lol!
    I’m still enduring our endless house renovation. Feels like we are camping here or stuck in a reality TV home Reno show. Not so much fun living it as when you’re watching it though. The slow cooker has become my new best friend. I can leave the food to cook while I rush around trying to clean up the plaster dust 😠

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I’m well impressed at your cooking skills JillyB, i’m more Jamie Oliver in my approach, fast, casual + hope for the best!!

: )

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Aw you guys are so impressive. You have will powers of steel. Mine not so much. I’ve struggled here in the US to eat healthily as we’ve been out with friends a lot, hey ho, I’ll get back on it.

Keep up the good work and inspiring posts! Hope you two lose your 2 pounds Bill and FifiP!

Have fun x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Cherrianne πŸ˜ƒ

I’ve used a slow cooker but have to say it’s not my best friend. But in your circumstances it could soon become one😳

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi All,

As threatened, I’m back.
    Had a challenging few weeks and missed you all a lot.
    Quite a few hotel stays and other temptations – some of which I succumbed to.
    Discovered that all the old daemons are still lurking – I fell foul of my usual diet routine, which is to feel so smug and self-satisfied and consequently fell off the wagon.
    I forget who it was who coined the term “food blackout” but I certainly had a few – however, the BSD drilling led me to binge on “better” food so that helped a lot – thanks Michael.
    One thing I am extremely grateful for was Lucia’s challenge – if you “follow” me on Strava you will see that I have religiously gone for a power walk every possible morning. I’ve also persevered with the old “5BX” fitness course and done quite a bit of cycling.
    Thanks again Lucia.
    Overall result – up half a stone, but I’ve been back on the regime for about 10 days now and I’m already back to where I left off.
    Haven’t had time to trawl through the forums – is there any significant news I’ve missed over the last month or two?
    Which are the “hot” forums to subscribe to now? – Is there a “24 Weeks and over” yet?
    Just 14 more lbs to go
    Onward & downward
    John

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi John

Welcome back.

There is an ‘Over 23 weeks’ thread – I was in Italy when I reached week 24 so started the thread early.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi string breaker.

We have all missed you.
    Glad you are back into the fold.

Fancy another challenge to run alongside the original?
    This is for everyone as well.

Take your age and give yourself a gift of it
    Eeehhh?

So if you are 50 , give yourself 50 minutes every day of exercise.
    Walking, dancing, zumbaing, wiiiing, jumping, hoping, splashing, basically moving.
    It can be broken up into sections.

Go on, give yourself a gift.

Oh, and if you want the best blog on the website, look no further than Lucia.

We all need details, what have you been up to as we have all missed you

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by barby
    on

Glad you kept your promise and came back Stringbreaker, good to hear you are back with the routine, and only 14 pounds to go …amazing … so close.

on

Thank you all for your greetings.
    Lynne – I’ll go and check out your 23 week forum.
    Lucia – good thought.
    I’m up to 36 minutes most days so that would mean another 30 minutes. I’d have to work up to that (don’t suppose you’d let me average my weekend cycling over the weekdays πŸ˜‰ ?
    I promise to make a start.
    Bill – you been poorly?
    John

on

Lucia,
    Just done 10 mins indoor cycling.
    Where does one find the blogs?
    John

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi stringbreaker,
    Welcome back, although I haven’t been posting much over the last couple of weeks, been ill and therefore down in the dumps too, so it was good to come on the forum and find your name there!
    Christine

on

Christine,
    SO sorry to hear you’ve been poorly. Do hope you’re on the mend.
    John

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi John,
    Welcome back. Bill has been unwell with a bad chest infection and all the coughing caused a retinal bleed. He’s now on holiday.
    Judith has been on holiday here in Aus and we spent some time together, both in Perth and in Adelaide. She started her long trip home last night.
    I haven’t been posting or reading much as we are in the middle of stressful house renovations. A few weeks away and there are so many new topics and posters that it’s hard to know where to start lol.
    Glad you are back on track though, you’re sure to meet your goal this time. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Christine – sorry you’ve not been well. Missed you.

Stringbreaker – welcome back! To answer your question – Bill1954’s on holiday still I think.

Where’s Judith ? Missing her too!

All the best to everyone for a very BSD week !

Julia

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi folks, I’m still alive and kicking and enjoying the holiday.
    I have problems seeing the screen in the light so havent been doing much internet wise.
    I’ll be home on Friday so I’ll do a full report then but I will say it’s so easy to do low carb in Turkey, masses of seafood and gorgeous fresh veg cooked in so many lovely ways πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Good to hear from you Bill. Enjoy the rest of your holiday πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by FiFiP
    on

I’m not doing quite as well as you Bill, but am doing much better than expected. Wine is taking it’s toll, but am restricting myself to 1 ‘naughty’ a day. Know I will put weight on but it’s being tempered by some common sense; my husband is finding the temptations of Italy more challenging!

Enjoy Turkey, you deserve a lovely time!

• posted by josie53
    on

Well done Bill you seem to have got it all sussed i must learn to weigh everything

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Very impressed with those of you eating heathily on holiday. I went totally off the rails and put on 4 pounds which was less than I thought. I now hate not weighing myself once a week. I feel out of control. Keep up the good work and enjoy the rest of your holiday. Great that some folks have met each other too, how wonderful!

• posted by Winifred
    on

Hello, Please could someone help me, 10,000steps, could this be translated please or do you walk along counting? is that an hour/2hr/3hr walk? Many thanks.

• posted by Timmy
    on

You need to get a pedometer or a pedometer app for your smartphone

• posted by FiFiP
    on

For me, 10k steps is an hour at a good pace. The rest of the day’s steps are an added bonus!

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Winfrey, it’s approximately 5 miles. It takes me around 2 hours but I’m slower than FifiP! Most smartphones have apps you can get.

• posted by Winifred
    on

Thank you. I’ll have to ask my friend about an app for my ‘phone, not very techi minded. 2hr walk will be a bit much in summer temps, and work nags very early to beat the heat, so doggies miss out a bit as only take them out for about an hour.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Winifred

http://joyofandroid.com/best-pedometer-apps-for-android/

this is a recent article on different free apps for android phones – I looked at it when I forgot to take my pedometer away with me last week.
    I didn’t install one in the end, because I’m used to translating steps walked (recorded on my pedometer) into time to load into myfitnesspal, I just kept a mental note of the time I’d been walking.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

WiniFred as long as you are doing something that’s what matters. Get the pedometer as suggested. Good link from Frog. You will find you may walk more steps during the day even round the house plus your hour. If you can walk a bit faster and drag the dog (mine used to want to stop every few minutes for a sniff) that will help too. Just do what you can but do something. Good luck…

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yes, Winifred, don’t let anything get in the way of doing more exercise – Lucia here is a wonderful inspiration, check out some of her posts, she did all sorts of stuff like walking up and down the stairs, and even now ensures she gets up and walks about as much as possible.

And some people have a treadmill they use in the sitting room whilst watching TV!

I try and feel grateful when seeing stairs or escalators either at home or outdoors, because I know it gives me an opportunity to walk up them!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Winifred,

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

You do not need a pedometer. I didn’t when I started.

If you can, walk to the end of your garden and back,.
    If you are not cream crackered from it, then walk to the end of your road and back.
    Then go around the block.
    Then a bigger block. Go morning noon and night.
    I know that my local veg shop is x number of Miles away.
    When I started out , I walked until I was tired, then I sat in a wall, or on the seat in the bus shelter or on a bench.
    Then I waddled off again.
    It took me a long time, but I did it several times a week.
    Slowly I reduced how many times I sat down.
    You get used to it.

I never counted the steps at the beginning , it didn’t matter, what mattered was I was walking and gently pushing myself to walk more.

Nowadays, I even walk backwards. This uses different muscles. Just be careful in case you bump into something.

Do different things. Walk up and down the stairs. Put a chair in the landing and one in the hall. So you can rest after each set of steps.

Skip, with or without a skipping rope.
    Hop.

Use a yellow pages or a block of wood or a step. Step on then off, lead with different feet.
    Do as many as you can.
    If it is ten today, add one and do 11 tomorrow.

Do what you ENJOY. I love walking, I nose in everyone’s garden to see what plants they have, any water features. What designs. You forget how many steps you take, you suddenly realise you are at the end of your session so quickly.

So have fun!

Keep walking, keep moving, keep happy
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.