This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Bill1954,
    How was your holiday? More importantly, how did your BSD fit into it?
    Knowing how the BSD fitted in with your plans would be interesting for those of us dreaming of getting away on holidays.
    I hope your health has stabilised/improved.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Switzerland
    had a brilliant holiday and had no problem sticking to the plan as the hotel had some of the best food I have ever had on holiday.
    Loads of beautiful seafood and grilled meats and a ton of gorgeous fresh vegetables cooked as only the Turkish can.
    I did have to resist the wonderful flatbreads and there were a few sneaky drinks but all in all I feel about the same, the clothes still fit anyway.
    Check out my new thread for a couple of scary pictures πŸ˜€

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill

Great to have you back. Sounds like you had a great time, well done on resisting those flatbreads πŸ˜ƒ

I managed to resist all the carbs in Italy and managed to leave 2 pounds there when I came home!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Brilliant pix Bill – you look great, not scary (well – last year’s one maybe!). Hope the eyes are doing better and that the post holiday weigh in was showing a downward not an upward trend!
    Great to have you back.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Skipped the weigh in this week as I only got back on Friday and the water retention effect was in evidence as I pee’d like a horse all weekend. I did buy a pair of jeans in week one and had to get a size down so I’m now a 36 πŸ˜€
    Lynne I reckon you could fall in a lake full of calories and still come out weighing less πŸ˜‰

• posted by captainlynne
    on

LOL Bill πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Bill and Lynne, you continue to inspire. Love the pics you uploaded Bill. I’m expecting some before and afters of you now Lynne.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Cherrianne, I’ll have to see if I can find any. Then work out how to post them. Hope they’re not too scary!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Bill, I posted today for the first time and someone recommended I read your posts. As far as the ‘Dawn Effect’ goes, try to save a little of your daily allowance to eat just before you go to bed. For instance, my b/g were down to 125 (6.9) on day 2 but back up to 178 (9.8) on day 3. That night I saved just a couple of mouthfuls of the veggie frittata and half of beetroot falafel for a bedtime snack. The next day it had gone down, then down again the next. Eating breakfast will help too , try having a blueberry and green tea smoothie if you cant stomach a meal.

Good luck.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi sunshine-girl
    Yes I’ve been doing that for a while now and it does help to an extent but to be honest, I don’t really bother with the fasting readings now as they’re the most innaccurate of them all, and they used to have me going out to work worrying about them πŸ˜‰
    I tend to concentrate on pre and post meal readings which I find more accurate.
    Add to that the fact that when I go for my HbA1C tests, I always get an afternoon appointment so the morning reading has become irrelevant really.
    May I wish you the best of luck with the diet, ignore the small pitfalls, this works – in spades πŸ˜€

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi,

I need help.

Not only have I “plateau’d”, I’ve started to creep up. I was (at 160lbs) only 6lbs from my target of 154lbs. However, I have reached my danger point. Even if I lost no more, I could be pleased with my achievement. I have lost 3 stones, everyone keeps says how good I look and I feel great.

Unfortunately I do feel pleased with myself, but I know of old that this is the time it all starts to go wrong. I tell myself that as I’ve achieved so much, all I need is a period of “consolidation” and then I can pick up the reins again in order to lose that last bit. Trouble is, that never happens.

This time, I have at least acquired some better eating habits, but I still get the famous “Food Blackouts” and binge on something or other.

Alcohol is always a problem for me – not as in an “alcohol problem”, but it seems to go straight onto my my weight and lessens my resolve for the rest of the day, making a “Blackout” more likely.

So, may I please ask your help? As long as it’s my “secret” problem (which no-one around me would notice until I’d put on another stone) then I will never get back on the straight and narrow. I weigh myself every day and I wonder if you would mind if I just posted each day’s weight onto this thread “This has to work for me”. I know there are enough posts to open already and this will be a purely selfish one which will clutter up your “In Boxes”.

I guess that most of the “Old Faithfuls” are still on this thread and I would be so grateful if you could help me. If I have to “confess” each day then I know it will help me. Once I’ve reached my target then I’ll be able to go onto the new “Target” thread and that will be a spur as we’ll have to “weigh in” on the first of each month. I wish I had Lynne’s steely resolve.

If you don’t mind me doing this, I promise I’ll do it for just 21 days and by then I’ll be in a different place – either good or bad.

This morning I was 166lbs so that is the starting point. I have no target for this 28 days apart from getting back on track.

John

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Hey John, I feel your pain. I doubt that anyone would want to complain about you doing what you think will help you get back in control. Feel free from me! Also consider posting a few goals, the say if you write it down you will do it! You’re obviously ready to get back on it by coming back here!

I’ll be keeping a watch on the pounds coming off ☺

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi John
    As a life member of The Food Blackout Club (great name for it BTW), and having just seriously overeaten, a binge if I’m honest, on some not even very nice cheese I really enpathise with your predicament. My other life membership is in The Weight On Again Weight Off Again Club. Hopefully, we can soon join The Successful Lifestyle Change Club. Wishing you the best.

Also to Bill and the other forum posters who are managing to “do” BSD with such strength, my admiration.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi John, Don’t knock yourself, you have done amazingly. You are amazing. That is your mantra from now on.

In my view you should go back to week one and look at what you did then. What made you so successful. Start planning a weekly menu and calculate the carbs and calories (or not) just making sure you are making healthy choices. Fill your fridge with veg and healthy snacks so you have something to go to immediately when you get cravings. Chuck out those things you are turning to when you get tempted, now you only have good snacks in the fridge. Cut out all the naughty stuff and remember it is just for 21 days, not forever. Watch your portion sizes and watch out for snacks creeping in. And that booze, oh I feel your pain, but again it is not forever. Promise yourself the best bottle or glass of whatever does it for you as a treat when you have succeeded. I started the diet on 28th June and not had a drink since that weekend, so 26th.

You won’t be bothering anyone by posting daily, people can choose not to have it come into their inbox or can dip in an out. I do a almost daily blog on another site and nobody has to read it if they don’t want to. Looking forward to watching your progress.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Good luck John, another virtual supporter for you here πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

on

Thank you all so much.

No weight loss today (still 166) but I did resist most of the usual weekend temptations yesterday which is a result.

Thanks again

John

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi John. I feel your pain too, it’s an all too familiar scenario for me as well! I can lose weight reasonably easily; I’m quite good at sticking to rules and I like the success of losing weight. But when I get there …… suddenly there is no new incentive. No one saying ‘ ooooh haven’t you lost weight, aren’t you good’. And slowly, slowly it creeps back on again.
    But not this time. I’m determined not to let it happen. I’ve been away with the family for a few days and eaten rather a lot, but avoided the carbs. And today I’m back on the 800 cals (OK, it’s only 8:15 but that’s the plan). I’ve almost missed the discipline of it. As the others say, try not to have the bad stuff in the house, concentrate on those foods you enjoyed, keep the fluids up and remember we are rooting for you!

Good luck. You can do it.

on

Thanks all, not only for your helpful suggestions, but also for the support.

I don’t have much time in the mornings, so it is only now I get a real chance to thank you.

My problems really are all in my head. Just knowing I have to report to you all every day for the next 3 weeks has brought me right back on track. As I reported this morning, no weight loss yet, but I’m absolutley not worried – we all know that if we do the right things, then results will follow.

Onwards & downwards.

John

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Go for it John, if it helps you to give a daily update we will offer support and encouragement as needed. Sounds to me you know what you need to do, just need a little extra boost to get you there. Try to stay positive and focused, because you have already proved you can make the BSD work for you and you can again.

on

Morning all

Sunday 166
    Monday 166
    Today 165

Yippeeeee! Going back in the right direction at last!

That’s TEAMWORK

Thanks

John

• posted by Bissell
    on

There you go John! Brilliant!

on

Don’t know what tomorrow will bring.

Gone just little off the rails tonight, but there was a reason. We’ve been sweating on a biopsy (for OH) for the last week and today was the day of truth. Very relieved when the doc walked into the room and her first words were, “Good News”.

I now know how you felt a month or two ago, Bill.

Hence we shared a 20cl bottle of bubbly tonight.

John

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi.
    Such good news, don’t fret on a little slackening of the plan. Celebrate, by planning a good on plan day tomorrow, and the week ahead. What better treat than a weekly weight loss, and gorgeous food. Get excited, get motivated, get it done and enjoy the rewards.
    Remember we are all doing it together. Keep posting.
    Regards
    Jan πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“

• posted by JackieMac
    on

That’s as good a reason as you’ll get John. Great to hear your OH is ok. Get back to it tomorrow ! 😊

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news about your OH John. Don’t beat yourself up about going off the rails a little tonight. Just get back on the wagon tomorrow.

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi
    You all seem to be doing so well. And John do not fret there are many people just starting out who would love to be as close as you are now. Keep up the good work I had a wine blip at the end of week 2 had a real bad day. But gave myself a slap and carried on where I left of. There’s no hard rules well maybe there are but rules are meant to be bent to suit just once in a while.
    This threads been an amazing journey .

• posted by Marsie
    on

Best of reasons for you John, no guilt for that.

I’ve just recalled myself standing in front of a roomful of WWs and saying “diet should fit our lives, not vice versa. Can remember thinking at the time how important that was. I think so again. One of my little rants is that I’d love to reclaim that word “diet” for it’s overarching meaning i.e what we do with our food and liquid management over our lifetime NOT as a short term ‘fix’.

In that context John, your celebration was not an excuse for going off track but a damned good reason for celebrating your life with your loved one. Carry on carrying on John. Love to you both. Marilyn

on

Thanks all,

Sun 166
    Mon 166
    Tue 165
    Today 164

I must drink bubbly more often πŸ™‚

John

on

I’ve just realised that to save cluttering up all your inboxes, I only need to report my daily weight if it changes.

John

on

The week

Mon 166
    Tue 165
    Wed 164
    Thur 164
    Fri 166 (Didn’t believe it)
    Sat 164
    Sun 162 (Don’t believe it – say 163 probably

Result.

This coming week won’t be so easy – I’m staying at a friend’s house for a couple of days and away from scales, followed by hotel next weekend. Just have to do what I can.

John

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great result John.

Have a great week. Try to keep your carbs low and don’t worry too much about calories.

on

Good advice Lynne.

John

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Probably too late, but if you can get some ketostix, it’s a great way of checking how things are going while you are away. I used them while we were away for ten weeks as I had no way of weighing and needed a way of tracking what was happening. Admittedly I gained 2.8lb in the time I was away, but have no doubt it would have been worse if I had not been keeping an eye on fat burning, by using the ketostix.

Hope you have a good week though, just keep a weather eye on the carbs and it should be fine.

on

That’s a good plan, SunnyB

I’ll work on that for next trip away from the scales.

John

• posted by captainlynne
    on

John – forget to say that as well as keeping low carb when away from home, the other thing I realised I had to keep an eye on is portion sizes!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    Could you give me some pointers about how you did it without counting calories? This is for my son. As I’m an avid counter I need help to advise him!
    Thanks
    Penny
    PS. Back on forum after a few ‘events’ interrupted me! Glad to see oldies still around.

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

This is my first post but I have been reading the posts almost from the beginning.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum . I have been onBSD for 12 weeks now with very mixed results but because of all the advice I stuck in there and am now starting to believe that I can really do this.
    I often became very discouraged as I was losing and regaining the same kgs and didn’t seem to be getting anywhere but I keep reading the forum and kept persisting and now am seeing regular losses.
    I would just like to assure everyone that if you stick to the principles you will start to see results.
    Just hang in there this does work.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi1942desprate
    Big welcome now you’ve revealed yourself. This eating plan is amazing isn’t it. Sounds like the plan has done the same for you as it has for me , a transformation, in pacifying our monster insatiable appetite into a normal appetite, wanting healthy food. Brilliant work, have you more to loose. Do let us know we are all friends here. I’m approaching the end of my fourth week, and still have a lot to loose, but loving the plan, will never revert to carbs, feel to well.
    Hope you have a great week.
    Love Jan 🌞🌞🌞

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

Thank you greenjanet

Yes I still have a lot to lose but will stick with it as it is the lowest I have been in 25 years .
    I cannot believe how much better I feel and look and I am in this for the long haul.
    Although I didn’t post before I followed all of your journeys and it really made me believe that the setbacks were only temporary and that if I persisted then like all of you I would succeed.

Regards

Jan

• posted by josie53
    on

i am also at the lowest weight for at least 25 years, good job i have kept all the clothes

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Jan
    Ooh the Jans are in it together , us Jans have got to stick together, we are a dying breed, my weigh day is Wednesday, not been planning very well this week so we shall see.

Love janπŸ“πŸ“πŸ“

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Penny
    nothing complicated about it. I just cut out the carbs and sugars and after a couple of days I found that my appetite had got smaller so I reduced portion sizes and kept reducing them every time I left something on my plate until I got to the point where I was eating a third to a half less food. No pressure, just did it at my own pace.
    That’s it in a nutshell, not strictly by the rules I know but it worked for me πŸ™‚

on

Been knocked off course by

a) a week away, and
    b) no will-power

logged in at 172 !! this morning – only a temporary blip – back on the straight and narrow now for the 8 weeks hopefully

John

• posted by Bissell
    on

Ah well, you are back now! Head down, crack on, those extra lbs will soon be gone.
    Best of luck!

on

Thanks, Bissell,

As anticipated, 172 was a blip – quickly on, quickly off as a rule.

Mon 172
    Tue 170
    Wed 167

Still hoping to reach target of 154 before going on hols at beginning of Oct

John

on

Thur 166

As I said – quick on, quick off

Time for a plateau now probably. Going for a bike ride tomorrow – mustn’t go overboard on the cake πŸ™‚

Just 3 more days until the end of my self-imposed confessions – guess what, I’m back to where I started – heigh-ho, at least it’s not gone up, and I do feel I’m back on the rails with no bad temptations scheduled.

John

on

Thur 166
    Fri 165
    Sat 164

Managed to resist the cake on my bike ride, just had a slice of bread & butter (do need some carbs to re-fuel) and later, a ham salad for lunch.

Very lucky- did 38 miles wihout mishap yesterday and woke up this morning to find the rear tyre flat. Much more convenient to fix at home.

At least it looks like I’ll finish the 3 weeks of “confessions” on Monday having lost at least a bit overall – isn’t that what it’s all about?

John

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Hi Bill you seem to be doing the journey that my husband is currently on we started June 6 , he’s been diabetic for around 5 years and before we started this his readings were 18 or more dispute taking metformin and another diabetic tablet I can’t quite remember the name it began with a g 4 a day and two metformin plus two different blood pressure tabs . He stopped all meds at the beginning of week 2 . Blood pressure is now normal every day and his sugars did go as low as 6 but the last couple of days have risen to 10 he is pretty fed up with this and wonders if it’s all worth it . I weigh and cook everything for him and have done from day 1 he’s dropped from 14-4lb to 12 stone , but doesn’t really want to lose anymore . As its week 9 do you think it would be a good idea to increase calories or stick at it until sugars drop again . Someone suggested making sure protein lower and carbs higher but difficult on 800 cals a day and not feeling hungry

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Wendymay54
    There’s a helpful thread or 2 on rising fasting blood sugars. You can find it in the search box. Seems to be a sign of the body releasing stored sugar and goes back down again. Keep up the good work – suspect readings are just a blip. Being off the meds is surely worth it for your other half! Hope he’s feeling miles better.
    Best wishes
    Julia

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Wendymay54

You might want to look at the following site:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

In entering your husband’s details, and activity level, you will see what his target calories to maintain his weight are (I found this particularly interesting).

And you might consider whether increasing calories by increasing fat, rather than carbs, might be the way to go.

Hope that helps πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.