This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’m really sorry to hear that, its so demoralising isnt it?. I understand that the Professor’s patients were using shakes but from reading the forum over the last 11 weeks or so, our members seem to do better with real food rather than shakes. Would it be worth while trying the full bsd with real food for a,couple of weeks? It has worked for so many people here, I would suggest giving it a try.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi AKB382, I’m not diabetic so can’t help much on that front and I don’t know if you came off all your medications at once or not, or if it was under medical supervision.
    I don’t know if you have looked at Bill1954 or cherrianne’s posts but they both had problems with rising bs levels which lasted for approximately 3 weeks – but their rises began in the middle of the 8 weeks.
    Have you thought about having real food rather than shakes?

A ‘conversation’ with them may be of more help to you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Don’t give up hope, whatever you do!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’ve replied to this post in the blood sugar spikes thread

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s great, Bill, I had noticed your rapid response to AKB382 ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi AKB382 and Janet
    That good sound advice, give the shakes a miss and try the food route, I hope it works for you, anything is worth a try right?
    Christine

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hey Bill- let’s not be heteronormative!!!
    ( that is a word!!!)
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi christina
    Sounds right to me.
    Keep up the fats too!
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Penny
    I understand the word, but I can’t see where I was acting like that unless it’s a way back post.
    Enlighten me please ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oh I see
    Judith and the dresses ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hashy, ditch the dresses and get a few shellsuits!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill! Me and shell suits!!! Wash your mouth out!!!! :0 :0 ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

ROFLMAO
    I can read the words Judith, but I can almost hear the thoughts ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, I’m glad you can!! ;0

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Talk about an experiment gone wrong!
    After having good results for weeks, I had a home made curry for lunch yesterday taken from a batch made and frozen last week and I had no problems then.
    so, yesterday, I decided to try a single chapatti with it to see how I’d react. At dinner I had a burger poached egg and tomatoes just to put this in perspective.
    I vary my blood tests day to day and yesterday I was doing FBS and pre bedtime.
    Epic fail ๐Ÿ™ pre bed reading was 7.9 so I knew this morning wouldn’t be good and I was right, 8.8 from a single chapati!!
    Looks like I won’t be going back to eating any kind of wheat bread from now on.
    I need to see now how long this is going to take to stabilise.
    not a happy bunny today ๐Ÿ™

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill I am still suffering from eating a GF brownie yesterday. It looks like all starchy carbs are bad for us ๐Ÿ™

I wonder if it is just people with hypothyroidism and diabetes?

Don’t experiment with rice, Bill, GF flour is mostly rice ๐Ÿ™

Stick to the chickpea flour flatbreads. You could probably show a Turkish chef how to make them – tell him he can advertise them as GF and good for diabetics. You may even get a free meal! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Bill1954 & hashimoto
    At least we are narrowing the field down re foods to walk away from. It’s knowledge we didn’t have before.
    I know that Gliadin, in the Gluten of bread ” kills” me! I love bread & potatoes. They don’t love me anymore SOB ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

• posted by Natalie
    on

Ok, speaking of failed experiments… I hate tea without sugar, but love the ritual and probably the caffeine too. I don’t like artificial sweeteners, including Stevia, and also tried honey which was disgusting, but after three weeks I still wasn’t used to it unsweetened. At the start of this week, week four, I decided to reintroduce sugar into my tea. Just a third of a teaspoon a couple of times a day, not enough to affect me, right? Hmm. Suddenly I’m eating chocolate every day. And a bit more. And extra healthy calories too, snacking in the afternoon on cheese or cashews or an apple when before I didn’t need food between meals. Now 800 calories isn’t enough. Maybe a nibble in the evening. And today, a huge slice of cheesecake! Yeah, I think I can say the experiment to have “just a little bit of sugar” hasn’t been a success.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Natalie just get back on the wagon! These ‘experiments’ have proved to us that we really can’t go back to our old ways. I had an awful sugar crash yesterday as well as the bloated stomach.

I think we have had to try it to understand we can’t go back ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Yes I’ll go clean again tomorrow. Eventually I’ll accept that this is a way of life now.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Eureka, it is 5am and I am still awake due to pain caused by that GF brownie. Never again!
    Like you say, at least we know what foods to walk away from. Walk? I’ll be sprinting away lol

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    You have my sympathy, I used to be like that regularly with foods I couldn’t eat, I hope you re feeling better soon.
    I have been having trouble getting the chickpea/ gram flour, where do you get yours?
    Take care, Christine

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Christi
    the best place for the flour which is also known as Besan flour, is an Asian foodstore.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi bill1954,
    Ok thanks bill, will swing past one today on the way to the hairdressers, I’m hoping my weight will drop a bit more after the haircut! I wish!!!
    Christine

• posted by JackieMac
    on

You can get a lot of the health food stuff, including the chickpea flour on Amazon. Might be more expensive ยฃ8.50 with Amazon prime, but comes in 5 x 200 bags so presumably will keep longer.

I too have been having sweet things again, but after the weekend I’m going to get back to basics. I don’t have diabetes luckily but do feel the difference when staying off the carbs etc. Keep well folks. J

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi! I get my chickpea flour from the tiny, local independent Health Food Shop, but I know you can buy it online (same with coconut flour)

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi christine, i get mine from sainsburys or the independent health food shop or the local Londis (owned by Asians so lots of cheap spices) or an Asian supermarket! I’m spoiled for choice!

Stomach still bad, that brownie has triggered a bout of diverticulitis ๐Ÿ™

Lesson learned.

Bill, have your blood sugars stabilized after your chappati?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

My besan flour was from Asda, the world foods isle, under ยฃ2.00 for a kilo I think.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Wow, Amazon is really expensive! Cancel that advice โ˜บ

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Judith, how fragile our bodies are! It makes me wonder what low level of discomfort we just put up with on our old carby diets without even realising. Having treated our bodies better these last few weeks, our bodies don’t want us to go back to the bad old ways. Probably the best incentive ever to stick with the new lifestyle for both you and me. I am also still struggling to get full health back a week after my last carb intake. I have been reading about the ceoliac test and thinking I should really ask for the blood test/biopsy. But to have it, I would have to go back to eating carbs every day for 6 weeks in order to find the antibodies responsible for the disease. There is no way!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Bill1954, in reference to ‘the chapati incident 04/16’ and to the tune of Lesley Gore’s ‘It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to’…..all together now – It’s my chapati and I’ll cry if I want to. Bad joke, blame my sister-in-law for that one! On a serious note, I hope your levels have stabilised.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Seemed ok late yesterday to last night but another FBS of 8.1 this morning.
    Not too worried about the FBS to be honest as the rest of the daily readings are ok.
    Read about you in another threas Switzerland. You’re doing great.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thanks Bill.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

JackieMac, I buy loads of things from amazon mainly for the convenience of how fast they deliver to my door.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

My GP wanted to do a ceoliac test and asked me to eat plenty of gluten rich food for 2 weeks before the test. I managed 2 slices of bread in 2 weeks because I couldn’t cope with the gut problems. So test came back as gluten intolerant. I do think I am probably ceoliac. It is easier to go gluten free, Janet, than put yourself through 6 weeks of eating gluten daily. I’m sure my diverticulitis was caused by eating gluten for years without realising what was causing me all the gut problems. Interestingly the gut problems weren’t as severe when I was on oral steroids for asthma – as the steroids reduce inflammation I guess they were reducing intestinal inflammation caused by gluten.

I would say if you are not ceoliac you are definitely gluten intolerant. The former the more likely.

I was just saying to my friend yesterday it makes you wonder how many people are going through life with carb problems because we are so used to the discomfort it becomes ‘normal’.

Thank goodness we found this diet!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Apart from not wanting these horrible symptoms on a more long term basis, I don’t want to put the weight back on that I have lost. Even if they can confirm intolerance or ceoliacs, the advice will be to follow a gf diet so I think I might as well just carry on with that now I have been eating that way for nearly three months. The nurse is testing again for vitamin b12 deficiency and my thyroid seems to be under control, both of those can increase your chances of being ceoliac too apparently. So I think I should just be as gf as possible and should hopefully feek better for that. This week I have felt nauseous every afternoon for no apparent reason. I hope your symptoms don’t get in the way of your planning for Australia.

• posted by wanttolose
    on

This has to work for me too. I wish you the best of luck I’m sure you’ll do great. I just started today and I’m excited but nervous that I’m going to let myself down n not stick with it. Today I’m very motivated I just hope I stay that way. Good luck to everyone!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi wanttolose, welcome to the forums and the BSD way of life ๐Ÿ™‚

If you find the first few days difficult don’t give up as it becomes easy very quickly ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

wanttolose it does work.
    Take a look at the over the 8 week line and beyond thread for some really inspirational stories.
    Best of luck on the journey and don’t forget to let us know how you are doing and don’t be afraid to ask questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Janet when I finally found out that gluten was causing me problems I researched the link with hypothyroidism and it is quite common to develop ceoliac or intolerance. I only wish I had known that a decade ago!

The nausea will be your reaction to the gluten. I’m the same at the moment. In fact I’m wondering just how GF that brownie was. Sorry to tell you this but I have found the symptoms can rumble on for 2 or 3 weeks – fortunately getting less bad as time goes by.

It won’t stop me going to Oz because if it stays like this over the weekend I will go to drs and be put on antibiotics but it has laid me up today. I’m still in pjs:(

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Hope you’re feeling better now. Trouble is old habits die hard & we’ve been on food autopilot for so long we just don’t think. It’s a lot to change in a short time & the new lessons are sometimes hard & hurt.
    Nil desperandum! The surf awaits you. ๐Ÿ„๐Ÿป

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Eureka, I was fed up with swimming costume fiasco and needed a drink, I thought I would be alright with that GF brownie since I am eating more calories. Wrong!
    But as you say the surf awaits!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    I managed to get the flour from tesco so thank you.
    I am so sorry you are suffering, I also have diverticulitis, and my experience is the treatment is worse than the cause, so I hope you get get better without the treatment! I sometimes have a bad bout but can manage to recover by watching what I eat, not easy, I also ( when I was eating carbs) avoided gluten if I could I’m sure it doesn’t help with our condition.
    I have loads of gluten free flours etc, so I don’t know what I will do with the them now!
    Take care Judith.
    Christine x

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all- jackiemac, FiFip, Barry, Janet1973, bill1954,
    I have managed to get the gram flour from tesco so a big THANK YOU to you all, it is so good to know we are all looking out for each other! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ To you all
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi want loose,
    Welcome, you will find answers to questions from other forum members on here, and lots of support too, they are like a family, so don’t hesitate to share, and keep,posting too.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith. Sorry to hear how the brownies affected you. Hope you’re feeling better!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks lynne. Self inflicted – though I wasn’t expecting this result!
    I’m still in pjs and drinking like a fish and sticking to low residue foods. I’m hoping it might improve by the morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

What was it that got you, Judith?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

A GF brownie in Costa, my stomach bloated within half an hour of eating it ๐Ÿ™

I’d been shopping for a cozzie for hours and decided I could have one because I had 150 calorie breakfast at 8 and it was 3 in the afternoon.

So, I can have 1600 calories a day with no problem but a bit of starchy carb plays havoc with my guts! ๐Ÿ™

BSD for ever!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Think I’d ring Costa & ask if others had a problem & was it indeed Gluten Free ? I’d also be thinking maybe cleanliness was suspect with such a bad reaction as you are having? Hope you get some sleep. Does a hot water bottle help?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Eureka, I hugged the hot water bottle to my stomach all night last night.

It’s definitely diverticulitis rather than a bug. Its throbbing in the same part of my bowel as always happens when I get it.
    Last time I had a costa brownie was a few years ago and then they were in manufacturers cello wrap. Now they are just unwrapped squares on a plate so I think cross contamination with gluten foods is a possibility. It did have the unmistakable texture of GF flour but that doesn’t mean it was ‘pure’.

It’s a good idea to contact costa as they ought to go back to the wrapped versions that have been kept well away from gluten products. Also it has just occurred to me that they use the same tongs for the gluten and non gluten products. That could be enough to cause problems for some people.

Thanks for your input, it’s appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.