This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Eureka, yes they have! There is a whole programme of lectures on all kinds of low carb topics with guest speakers. It sounds amazing!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ooh, I would love to go on that cruise but I’m heading for Oz this year!

I bet you’re looking forwards to your bloods results Lynne! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a call from the receptionist, apparently I have to have my bloods repeated on the 9th May- as I’m ‘borderline’. I’m presuming low. I’ve booked in with dr the week before the 9th because the hospitals tend to run the cheap test and I had years of being told I was low but within the normal range ….until I developed a huge goitre!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I could use that cruise right now!

Judith, yes I am ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Had HbA1c done just before I started this. Then they got their wires crossed and did it again, which showed an improvement. Really must get those results for my records! It’s the HbA1c again this time – full bloods due July.

I’m regularly told my thyroid result is borderline. They retest and its normal. Be interesting to see what they say in July!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne I no longer trust those border line results, they do tell you it’s normal! The cheap tests that hospitals use do not work for everyone if the condition is a bit more complex. It isn’t the doctor’s fault either, they can’t control the tests hospitals use – they can request the more sophisticated test but don’t always get it. NICE guidelines and all that. If you are told you are normal, but low end of normal, ask your doctor to specify which test you need doing. I would hate to think of anyone getting into the state I was in for a year where I was going into hypothyroid comas. I spent one summer – a hot one – in my thermals, layers of clothes on, wrapped in duvets, central heating on full, fire on and I was freezing. On my own and too ill to realise I was ill. Its not funny coming too when you were eating your dinner in sunlight and it’s dark and your head is in your food and you have no idea why it is dark as you don’t realise you been ‘out cold’.

Have you checked yourself against a list of hypothyroid symptoms? You don’t have to have them all to be hypothyroid.

A group cruise would be lovely, wouldn’t it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kathy54
    on

I do like a good cruise in the last eighteen months I have cruised round Hawaii and Alaska twice.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You lucky girl Kathy! What a way to live!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Corr now you tell me! Going to Canada June. Maybe next year & I could lecture ๐Ÿ˜„
    Eureka

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

How about us veterans offering to provide ALL motivational talks/lectures and Pilates etc classes on a cruise next year. The BSD cruise! Featuring Bill lecturing in his mankini to show off the full effects of the BSD. We could get so many of us along to show the multiple benefits of the diet quite apart from the diabetes reversal – Judith on hypothyroidism, and others on reduced blood pressure, reduced cholesterol, the mental benefits of increased exercise/walking… They could populate the ship with us lot by next year, mind you, so might not make much profit if there’s not room for enough punters.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

I think I’ll go just for the mankini alone!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Just for fun, this is the first day of lectures, presumably on a day at sea. This cruise is for some serious low-carbers!

Monday, May 2, 2016

8:00AM-8:30AM: Registration
    8:30AM-8:45AM: Welcome and Introduction of the Low-Carb Cruise
    8:45AM-9:30AM: Meet Your Fellow Low-Carb Cruisers
    9:30AM-9:45AM: Jamie Caporosso โ€“ Keto-Paleo For Athletes
    9:45AM-10:15AM: Darryl Edwards โ€“ The Power Of Primal Play
    10:15AM-10:25AM: Break
    10:25AM-11:10AM: Dr. Ted Naiman โ€“ Hyperinsulinemia
    11:10AM-11:25AM: Ailsa Marshall โ€” Personal story of beating diabetes
    11:25AM-11:35AM: Break
    11:35AM-12:05PM: Hanna Boethius โ€“ Lowering Your A1c Master Class
    12:05PM-12:20PM: Kim Minert โ€“ Type 1 diabetes and KETO//OS
    12:20PM-2:30PM: Lunch break
    2:30PM-3:15PM: Dr. Eric Westman โ€“ Low-Carb Case Studies of Diabetic Patients and HEAL Clinic Update
    3:15PM-3:30PM: Glen & Yael Finkel โ€“ Adapt Your Life
    3:30PM-3:40PM: Break
    3:40PM-4:25PM: Dr. Lucia Aronica โ€“ The Stanford study on low-carb vs. low-fat diets: Nusi, the A to Z study, and its follow-up
    4:25PM-4:40PM: Closing remarks

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Janet
    Me too, I like the films. They’re more extreme than BSD but interesting. Any extra info is good!
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Penny
    Now that I have my membership I need to watch the films too. Definitely more extreme than bsd but I like having a strong direction to follow and there are good recipes too. Will have to save up for next year’s cruise I think!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi judith
    A friend of mine took 7 years to get diagnosed. She had low thyroid but they said low end of normal meanwhile she was a wreck. A change of GP saved her, the new GP said let’s try you on thyroxin and see- she returned to normal.
    Crazy
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Janet
    It sounds a bit exhausting – 8.30-430! Like being at work. ! Though no doubt interesting stuff.
    I think I’ll stick to lazing around on holiday.
    That Swedish guy on the website- I find him really funny. My son lives in Sweden so I’ve been there a lot but never come across a swede like that!
    Penny

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

I’ve already booked a cruise for next March ๐Ÿšข

Crown Princess for 14 days. Right now just me, I booked early so I can pay it off in smaller chunks. My friends tend to book last minute, lol.

You all are welcome to join me ๐Ÿ˜„ Help to keep me away from the scones ๐Ÿด

I’m serious.

Deb

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi penny,
    Yes, he is a bit odd but I kinda like his style. He’s funny for a doctor!

Hi Deb, I love princess cruises, they are the nicest people. I’ve been on the sea princess twice.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well after last weeks blip I lost another 2 pounds this week, that puts me at 14.5 stones, 30 lb weight loss, and 1 stone to go to my first target weight.
    Blood sugars are in the 6’s fasting and in normal range the rest of the day.
    Oh not to forget, I’ve now lost 6 inches off my waist measurement. (there will have to be a major shopping trip before my holiday in June)
    I’m now confident of reaching my eventual target of 12.5 stones or so by September so everything is going swimmingly.
    As I’ve said often before, if I can do this, anyone can.
    Onwards and upwards!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Bill, I can feel the glow of the good feeling you must be experiencing, all the way down here in Kent; brilliant progress.

I am in the market for new clothes too, nice feeling isn’t it!

: )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

TBH it’s a double edged sword for me FiFiP.
    I hate shopping at the best of times so a whole new wardrobe is going to have to be planned with military precision.
    I need to spend as little time as possible in the city centre (I read somewhere once that men on a shopping trip suffer the same stress levels as soldiers going into battle)
    I suppose I can live with it just this once ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Please meet this woman who also doesn’t like shopping……. (I HATE it!!) so I sympathise with your predicament, nice problem to have though Bill!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    Although female I also hate clothes shopping and do it all online. Saves the stress.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi FifiP
    So there’s two of us!
    I do it all online. Much calmer.
    Penny

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi bill1954
    Well done on the weight loss, I too have sectioned my weight loss into increments, so that it’s easier for me to cope with.
    I also hate shopping and try and do most of it on line. Will it change as I lose more weight? you never know!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi fifip
    Three of us!
    Christine

• posted by FiFiP
    on

So pleased I’m not alone on the shopping front!

; )

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Christine
    What will you do now that you have no holiday weight to lose?!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Shopping? I HATE it! Mostly shop on line, the only real shopping I tend to do is in plant nurseries or supermarkets. I don’t even go into bookshops very often as I love my kindle! ๐Ÿ™‚ Cookery books etc I order online ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, I’m still catching up with yesterdays posts. Wow, another set of good results! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Well done Bill and everyone else doing well. I’m a bit stuck, but all my own doing. Maintaining though so happy with that for now.

Can’t believe you are complaining about shopping Bill, I mean how long does it take to buy a mankini? ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Judith- quite agree – except I don’t even do the supermarket!
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny my knees book arrived yesterday, I haven’t read it yet, I’ll take it on holiday with me! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Day off yesterday for the eye hospital appointment.
    Unfortunately it turned into one of those appointments that end up with an injection into the eye.
    I need them from time to time as I have pressure problems in the right eye due to red cell glaucoma caused by the retinopathy.
    For the first time, I was waking up all night with a sore itchy eye but it does feel a little better today and the retinal bloood vessels are still looking good so I have to be happy with that.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Ouch! Glad you’re ok Bill!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ooh sorry to hear that Bill, the thought of an injection in the eye makes me very squeamish! I had my cataract ops done under a general for that reason.
    Hope you’re fine now. I’m just waking up – I know – I’ll send you an email a bit later ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Bill + Hashimoto

I have a rare degenerative eye disease and feel for you both, I dread the day when an injection will become necessary, I will have to be knocked out too, don’t know how you managed that Bill, very impressed.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I had the original vitrectomy and cataract operation under general as I had a trapped nerve in my neck at the time and couldn’t guarantee I could lie still for a couple of hours.
    The other 3 ops I had under local and TBH it wasn’t a problem.
    Likewise they put numbing drops into the eye prior to the injections so there is only a dull pain as it happens. It was later when the drops wore off that the irritation started.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, I told them I couldn’t guarantee to keep still because of sudden bursts of coughing! There’s no way I could keep still if I knew a needle was approaching my eye! They had concerns about a general and my health. They looked shocked when I said ‘well, if I die under the general I won’t feel anything so I don’t care but I can’t be awake when a needle goes in my eye’. I can’t tell you how squeamish I am about eyes ๐Ÿ™

• posted by JackieMac
    on

You boys are giving me the heebie jeebies!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sorry JackieMac!!! I’m a girl, by the way!!! My handle often makes people think of me as a Japanese man!! :0

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Oh forgive me! Yes I did think you were a man! Good to know you’re a high achieving lady!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Nothing to forgive JackieMac!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I can definitely vouch for the fact that Hashimoto is a girl!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

To be honest I’d be worried if she wasn’t given the posts about new dresses etc ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Janet 1973
    I will just carry on with the diet, my next aim is to lose another half stone, giving myself small targets to reach makes it feel easier, I have some birthday vouchers, so I want to save them until I have lost a bit more then treat myself!
    I am doing my own version of the diet now, so hope I can get all the factors correct, 800 calories, 50 g or less, a day, with the occasional 16 hour fast!
    Christine.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I had LASIK surgery twenty years ago to correct my eyesight. I was awake (with anaesthetic drops in my eyes and my eyes held open) while they cut my corneas. No pain, but so scary! And a nasty burning smell from the laser on my eye. I wonder now how I had the courage.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Ooohhh Bill, you are brave. And all you others who’ve had eye ops or injections. I could cope with contact lenses, but the thoughts of any medical procedure on my eyes makes me cringe. *shudders*

• posted by jillyB
    on

captainlynne

I, too, have to have injections in my eye – have for a couple of years. Initially I was of the same feeling as you. But I can assure you, if it ever happens to you, the thought of it is far worse than having it – I was quite surprised until I had the first one. All I feel is a rather dull pressure for a couple of seconds. When I was first told, I had to wait for a week during which I stressed out waiting for a whole week. I have lost the sight in one eye due to an incompetent eye doctor and when the other eye started I was with another doctor who is fantastic and we are trying to keep it with the help of injections – so necessary. The only draw back is on the day I have it I can’t see properly, can’t read, compute or watch telly, or anything but sit and listen to the radio. But, heh! It is worth it to save the good eye !
    jillyB

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Jillyb you and Bill are so brave! I’m sorry to hear about the loss of sight in one eye and am keeping everything crossed for you re your good eye. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Respect to you JillyB
    I lived for almost 2 years in constant fear of losing the sight in one or both eyes and had spells when I did lose it in one or the other but never both together.
    My team at the eye hospital were superb so I’m happy to hear you have a good doctor.
    Best of luck.

• posted by AKB382
    on

Well Iโ€™m sorry to report it looks like it hasnโ€™t worked for me.
    Having started the regime of 25th Jan, my weight is now 86KG, BMI of around 24. After 3-4 good weeks fasting results of lower than 5.3, BG reading have been raising since I came off the medication.
    Fasting results 12.6 last couple of mornings. Continue to have shakes for breakfast and lunch and lots of greens with dinner.

I came off the medication metformin, pioglitazone and Victoza as I say remained relatively stable for a few weeks, I am now reconsidering introducing the medication which is off course massively disappointing. It kind of puts me back where I was. Iโ€™m so gutted !

Please log in or register to post a reply.