“Success in March without the Starch” 4 week challenge ending 20 March

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Today – 0.9lb

To goal – 0.9lb !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Had to pop in and say – WOW, Mokovex! Keep on keeping on!

• posted by treelady
    on

Bit late to the weekly weigh in – had to be away in Shrewsbury yesterday for a seminar, with lunch provided. And you could have anything for lunch, as long as it was sandwiches. Got a few funny looks for picking out all the fillings, and then wrapping up the bread to bring home for my chickens.
    So, 1 more pound lost since last week. Hmm, looks like I will have to re-examine the carbs in what I am eating and try and get them down a bit more.
    Anyway, well done to everyone and onwards and downwards to us all.

• posted by alliecat
    on

The sandwich story made me laugh, treelady! I can imagine the quizzical looks from your colleagues…Particularly
    when you carefully wrapped up the bread and squirreled it away in your handbag 🙂 They were probably thinking
    “is this some manifestation of OCD? or an eating disorder?” haha

Allie

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi everyone
    Thank you for the support guys – really appreciated. I am still hanging in there as I really want to make this a permanent change. I’ve made a really good start today and as it’s a busy day going from one thing to another I don’t have time to be pigging out. I have my evening class tonight after work so I won’t have time to be thinking about food this evening either – so all good 🙂
    I’ll deal with tomorrow when it comes!
    Mokovex – well done on your stats – less than a lb to go to your goal is amazing. well done.
    Treelady – picking the insides out of your sandwiches made me laugh. People who saw you were probably wondering what on earth were you doing with the bread!? ha ha…
    all the best everyone.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, so great to hear all your successes! I haven’t recovered from my chip-fuelled fall from the wagon. I’ve been good since then, but I’ve gained 2lbs and am struggling to get rid of it. I’ve been reading all your stories which is encouraging me to wait for a whoosh! x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Treelady, that’s dedication, lol. I’ve been known to ask for the burger without the bun and OH, who needs GF, has asked for the Steak Sandwich without the sandwich. The facial expressions can be quite amusing 🙂
    Nicola12, hang in, you’ll surprise yourself.
    Go, Mokovex, go!!
    Re next challenge title: I’m rather fond of Marie’s mash-up “No April Fool, Low Carbs Are Cool” 4weeks etc… This keeps our fun rhyming titles going.

• posted by Marsie
    on

One more thing tonight.
    Mokovex, have only just seen, and loved, a post in which you replied to Gattina , in particular, your summarising sentence:
    “I know I will get to goal still with some disordered thinking around food, I am not ‘fixed’ but changing, it feels oh so slow but it is happening”. Not “fixed” but changing. That resonates so much with me. Thank you for expressing it. xx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

All those on the binge struggle – I recommend the book ‘never binge again’ very helpful for working with the ‘inner piggy voice’. I also find if I don’t sleep enough or I leave it too long to eat, I and doomed!

Day 2 for me carbs a little over 50 yesterday but still good on calories. Today I had a half a papaya and a salmon fillet with kale. Dinner is a hockey curry with Brussels sprouts. Went for a run this morning- amazing how a wedding dress focuses the mind!

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Onetowatch thanks for the tip. I’ve just downloaded it – it’s free on Kindle.

• posted by marie123
    on

Onetowatch – I’ve just downloaded it onto Kindle also and will read it later – thanks.

• posted by marie123
    on

Mokovex – 0.9lbs – so close now. I’ve got the flags, bunting and cheers ready and waiting …..
    Also, I agree with Marsie; when you spoke to Gattina you crystallised so perfectly where I am with things so thanks for that.

• posted by marie123
    on

treelady & Marsie – those bread-less sandwiches and bun-less burgers made me smile too.
    treelady – hope the chickens enjoyed the bread
    Marsie – the imp in me is tempted to do your double act with my OH just to see the facial expressions (Just a passing fancy of course).

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Jackie – Good to hear from you. Like Allie, I’ve been missing your posts and had started checking to see if you were away. Hope things are going well.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Marcassin – My turn to feel guilty. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with things on here so apologies as I missed your post. I just wanted to say a big congratulation on completing your fast (particularly when you’d just had the whole burst pipe saga) hitting your weight target and your waist hip ratio. I’ve just worked it out and it comes out at 0.78 which is well below 0.85 which according to info on Nonna Mary’s recent post is where a woman’s should be – yeah!

• posted by marie123
    on

Busybee – I know you said you’re going to lurk so just wanted to say I’ve also never found your posts selfish; I’ve always liked your honesty and thoughtfulness. Have your rest, get your mojo back, update as you can. I hope you do come back sooner rather than later. Xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Final post today, promise. I’ve lost another 1lb today which means I’m now 9st 5lb – 1lb away from a 5 stone total weight loss – woohoo! I’m away for the weekend so hope everyone has a good next few days. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Marie, what a happy lb. to report, and just before a weekend away, too 🙂 I think I’ve partially converted my thinking
    from lbs to stones, because I seldom need the calculator anymore to celebrate everyone’s losses! Seventy lbs.
    is a phenomenal effort, so thanks for reviewing from “whence you came”. I never become tired of hearing all
    the accomplishments here. Collective congratulations! Enjoy the weekend,

Allie xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks Allie – and have a good weekend xxx

• posted by Busybee
    on

Yes I am still lurking Marie123, and am not doing too badly. Better food choices and smaller portions, but still enjoying the odd G & T or two. I have also had a few days off weighing each morning which had taken some pressure off.
    Thank you for asking.
    X B

• posted by Gattina
    on

Marie that’s such a good result. Well done you 🤗👏

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Marie123, just had to pop on and say BLOODY WELL DONE. I love reading your posts and successes. Good on ya mate!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Marie123 – just read your post – woo hoo! You are amazing! Well done – 5stone loss is phenomenal!!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi Alliecat and Marie123 – thanks for noticing!

Have been in a play and that squishes all other things into smaller hours, so haven’t been keeping up properly. Just coming down from performing high and catching g up with life. Lost another kilo, more or less 57.8kg now. Largely by cutting down on cream, I think. Also walking every day and this week managed 2 gym sessions AND Pilates, so lost 100g of fat and gained 100g of muscle. Which I am counting as a victory, even though it’s a tiny move.

Otherwise, not much to report. Will try and lose another kilo on next challenge and then I am truly done, I think.

Cannot quite believe how at home I am in my new body, always used to feel temporary on other diets but on this WoE feel this is ‘me’ now, in my size 8 jeans!

• posted by Daisy Daisy
    on

Marie..5 stone! That is amazing! you must be over the moon!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Marie 5stone is amazing! To think I was proud of 3.5stone… Go you, you amazing weight loss machine. My hat is off for you.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all – happy Friday.
    It’s a sunny spring day in London – I’ve just got back from a lovely long walk in the park – I’ve done 17,000 steps so far today so I’m feeling quite smug and pleased with myself.
    Still struggling with food this week – I’m hoping that all the extra steps will counteract the overeating – blood glucose high this morning so not working on that front.
    I’ve started reading the ‘never binge again’ book Onetowatch recommended. It’s an interesting concept of denying your ‘inner pig’. Now I just have to put it into practice next time my little devil (inner pig) is saying ‘you want more cheese and nuts’ after I’ve eaten a healthy meal and don’t feel hungry.
    Tonight will be a challenge – I’m meeting a group of friends for dinner – we’ve formed a Fish and Chips Club and meet up every so often to eat fish and chips. Obviously I don’t eat the fish but there is usually a veggie option which I can have with chips – usually some kind of pasty. A massive carb fest! I’ve checked the menu for this evening and there seem to be some salads so hopefully I will be strong enough to avoid the chips and stick to the salad. Piggy – NO! I DO NOT WANT ANY CHIPS!
    Have a good weekend everyone.
    KOKO
    x

• posted by treelady
    on

The chickens went nuts for the bread – those that managed to grab the bigger pieces then got chased around by the others (reminds me of toddlers always wanting what the other child is playing with), and in the meantime my 2 ducks quietly got on and ate the rest! Rewarded with 3 fresh hen eggs and 2 duck eggs a day at the moment.
    Forgot to add that I did succeed into wriggling into an old pair of trousers the next size down at the weekend, and didn’t look too ‘stuffed sausage like, but might wait another week or two before I venture out into public wearing them!

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi Gattina,
    I’ve read that book and found it very useful. There is also the technique used by the hypnotist Paul McKenna about picturing the worst plate of food you can (e.g. a hair ball mixed with dead slugs), imagining what that would be like to eat and then interspersing the image back and forth with whatever food you want to stop (cakes, chocolate etc).
    I think you can find his audio books around on youtube for free.

• posted by Miillii
    on

Day 1
    fatandinspired.com !

Making a concerted effort to accomplish goals and start having fun again 🙂
    (Stop hiding in shame)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Miillii! You have found the place to leave the darkness behind and venture forth into the light.
    Joining a 4 week challenge is an excellent way to begin. There is a great deal of accumulated wisdom
    here among maintainers, and an infinite amount of support. Join as many threads as you find meaningful
    to you. We all look forward to your posts as you begin this fantastic journey to wellness. Let us
    know how you get on…There is always someone out and about to answer questions.
    Very best of luck!

Allie

• posted by Miillii
    on

Thanks to you Allie and good luck all 🙂

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,
    Great to hear about all of your progress, and I’m so envious of those at/near their target; I can see how hard you’ve all worked!
    I’m still awaiting a ‘whoosh’ and not sure if it coming at all! I’ve been the same weight now for nearly 2 weeks, and other than a portion of chips, I’ve stuck to the plan. Last night I was on the verge of givingto up on it, which is exactly what I did last time I tried the BSD at around this point in time. By the time I woke up this morning I decided that, as initially planned, I’d stick it out until the 28th March and then see where things are. Even if I don’t budge a pound by then, at least I can say I tried!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Nicola. Sorry to hear about the plateau! What have you done to break it in terms
    of your daily net carbs and water consumption?

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Alliecat, I’ve tried to increase my water, though probably could do better. My carbs are around 15-20g a day, last time I did the BSD they were around 50 and seemed to have had the same effect. But, like last time I have stalled at the same point, almost a stone lost and now no progress.

I’ve gone back to measuring/tracking every single thing in the last few days, as maybe I was slipping up there? Will focus on that and water this week and see where I am at the end of the week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nicola, I certainly can appreciate your frustration! I had the same experience 2 months
    in, and it lasted for 18 days….I was able to break through it by decreasing my carbs, but
    you have already done that in a very dedicated fashion. I hope that by upping your
    water you’ll see an end to it soon. Try to hang in there, the whoosh is certainly to be
    expected soon on such calorie restriction. Let us know how it goes, and if I can think
    of a remedy, I’ll search for you on this thread 🙂

Allie

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Hi Nicola
    I feel your pain, four days without a movement on the scales frustrates me, two weeks would drive me insane.
    Take the positives though, I’ve read it takes 18 months for the body to adjust to a new lower weight and stop trying to get back to the original weight. You are already two weeks nearer the end of that 18 months. I see weight loss as climbing a mountain , with immense difficulty you have reached a narrow ledge part of the way up. Initially you are delighted by the acheivement and happy to spend a few days widening the ledge but now you are impatient to be off again.
    Stay strong, it will happen.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am sorry to hear you are feeling down Nicola. I know what you mean about how hard it feels when the scales do not move. They have hovered up and down around the same kg for me again this week.

Like others have said in the past, for some unknown reason my measurements are changing even though the scales are not. It may be worth getting the tape measure out, or trying on some clothes which were tight to look for the Non Scale Victories.

Today, I am wearing a pair of thick, fleece lined trousers that I have owned for years but couldn’t squeeze into before.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Alliecat, Marcassin and JGwen – thank you so much for your replies, I feel like I’m being encouraged by friends which is lovely, so thank you! The scales moved a little this morning, down 0.6lbs, which actually brings me to 1 stone loss, which I had forgotten I was so close to! So that has upped my motivation no end 🙂

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Everyone
    Well, can I say thanks ever so much for all the lovely messages about my (almost!) 5 stone weight loss. Still not quite there yet.
    A funny (and very touching) thing happened to me when I went to stay with my Uncle this weekend. He’d bought (well, got his carer to buy) a three – layered angel cake for us to have during my visit.
    When I was a child it was my favourite cake (what can I say – it was pink, white, and yellow layers, with buttercream and ‘angel’ in its name! ). Even in adulthood, whenever I went home to my Mum’s if she could find one there’d be one waiting for me, right up to when she died a few years ago. My uncle is her brother and he was so made up with himself – so of course I ate the cake. It won’t have done my blood sugars any good (didn’t take my monitor) but they’re OK this morning, and I’ve put a 1lb back on – so now back to 2lb to lose to reach 5 stone weight loss. That’ll teach me to say anything on here just before I’m going away. Great family weekend though!

Hi Nicola – 1 stone weight loss is brilliant – well done, that woman!
    (nb I’ve had quite a few 2 week plateaus – just stick with it and keep going x)

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi everyone, sorry for not being present for the last few days, have taken a bit of personal time. Has a new challenge been decided upon? If not, I hope marie123 will start it up with her suggested : “No April Fool, Low Carbs Are Cool” 4weeks etc…

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Morning all – I just wanted to say that I’m still here quietly lurking but I am celebrating in the success of those reaching or nearing milestones and commiserating with those who are either struggling to be good or not seeing any results in the short term from all their hard work.

I’m one of those struggling to be good at the moment. I have been away on and off for the last two weeks and again I have let this be licence to involve in ‘might as well’ behaviour. For example, today – I thought I might as well have the bread that came with the soup because I couldn’t guarantee that the soup was low carb. Also we are so broke at the moment that I’m going for the cheapest (and therefore often the naughtiest option) especially when I don’t have access to a kitchen to prepare food from ingredients. I know it sounds like an excuse but when you don’t have a kitchen and you don’t have much money then your options are severely limited. Plus there’s nothing like stress to make you reach for chocolate which seems so cheap in the long run but really could have been spent on a bag of salad leaves. Hopefully in a month or two, this stressful nightmare will have ended and I’ll be starting a new life in a new town and will be able to focus 100% on my health.

And the ridiculous thing is this eating doesn’t do me any good and I know it – I don’t mean weight-wise (although I’m dreading when I do get back on the scales) but just in terms of my general health. It makes me tired all the time and depressed. I have to get back on diet and soon. Tonight I will be going to the supermarket and will be buying some veg and chicken to survive on – we have enough points on the Sainsbury card to get in some healthy meals and are staying in self-catering for the next 4 nights. I should be able to stay on target for the next few days and then later in the week I’m back home and can step on those scales and cry over the damage a week or so of carbs has done.

So I won’t be at the weigh-in tomorrow but I think we can safely say that I will be nowhere near my end of challenge weight and will likely be more than my starting weight. However – I will be checking in to the new challenge on Wednesday and ‘fessing up with my new stats (once I know what they are) and recommitting to the BSD way of life.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Marsie and everyone
    My suggestion was a take on SueBlue’s original. If nothing else has been decided upon I’m happy to set up the next challenge, but equally fine if anyone has an alternative suggestion they prefer.

I’m about to go out to a meeting this evening but will be back about 9pm (UK time) so will check back and set up the new challenge thread then, if needed.
    Marie x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Marie, I say go for it, or we’ll all be fiddling around while Rome’s burning if you get the drift of my strangled metaphor😏 I’m guessing SueBlue won’t mind as we were all just tossing ideas around. x M

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I’m happy for you to start the next thread up Marie 🙂
    Final weigh in day for me. I had a good loss this week, so down 2.4kg since I started this March 4 week challenge. I’m still 1.2kg away from where I was last November, and many kilos away from my ultimate goal, so I’ll definitely be joining the next challenge!
    Shanshu I hear you with the struggle to buy healthy food on a budget when you have no kitchen facilities especially! I have 4 children and when they were younger and we took them out for the day, it was so much cheaper to buy hot chips and bread rolls for lunch than it was to buy something more healthier. I could always manage to make healthy meals on a budget at home, but definitely found it harder when we were out or away.
    Good luck everyone with your weigh ins, I’ll join in the next challenge so see you there 🙂

• posted by JackieM
    on

Late weigh in 57.8kg which is meeting my goal as at the beginning it was 58.1kg and I wanted it to consistently begin with a 57

Trying to eat emotionally is hard on BSD – can’t find anything that fits the bill. Currently very full of BSD food but still got the itch. Hi hum, time to find something else to do 😄😳

I think I will join the next challenge and my goal will be a fast, followed by BSD for next 4 weeks, with a view to 56.9kg on scales by end. I’m only 5’3” so there’s scope for a little more loss. The thing that would make me happiest is lower visceral fat. Currently 6, I think, be good to get it lower so I could stop fretting about my cholesterol.

See you all on the next thread x

• posted by marie123
    on

Just to let everyone know the new challenge thread is set up. x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good morning all. Another 4 week challenge ends, time flying!
    I began this challenge on 59.7kg. Final weigh-in this morning at 59.9kg after dipping down into the 58s during the month, so a fairly poor second half. No reason, lots of excuses, just not focused on my mantra “One Day At A Time”.
    I know what you mean, Jackie, about emotional eating being hard on bsd with so little to choose from😦 And, Shanshu, hang in. I hope these difficult times will quickly pass for you.
    So, over to the new challenge thread, (thanks marie123). Look forward to reading many success stories on this page before the end of the day xx

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Shanshu-
    I think you are doing brilliantly to maintain your weigjht under difficult circumstances. I’ve been there with having no money, it seems there is only so much mental energy to spare and it can either be concentrated on dieting or on getting the maximum food (and comfort ) for money. congratulate yourself on the good days and don’t beat yourself up about the bad days.

JackieM – I made the almond flour scones a few weeks ago and froze them individually so that on Saturday when my own emotional eating craving hit, it was there for me, eaten with ‘jam’ made from fruit whizzed in the food processor and thickened with chia seeds and sweetened with stevia and then topped with extra thick double cream. It felt indulgent which was what I needed but meant I hadn’t wandered too far off the low carb path.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all

Not posted for a handful of days and missed you all x
    Lots of cake on Sunday has put me a little bit further from goal than is desirable but hey-ho, back on it.

Marie! 👍😀👍😀👍😀👍😀👍😀👍😀 you star 💫
    Jackie – well done on hitting the 57s, when will you next have your cholesterol checked? I know we have talked about this before, I am thinking it is time for my next health mot.
    Shanshu – sorry to hear you are so sad at the moment. Keep coming back. Xxx

My results:
    Start: 122.2lb
    Week 2: away
    Week 3: 121.7
    Today: 121.5lb
    To goal – 2.5

Loss – 0.7lb

Please log in or register to post a reply.