starting out

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pamela1602
    on

Hi all just joined the BSD site and wanted to know what you all have for breakfast? Each day i have greek yogurt and fruit usually strawberries in summer as they are plentiful and sweet and juicy, i have not yet started this diet but this is my usual breakfast, it goes down hill after that!! My usual winter breakfast is porridge, obviously on a low carb diet this really is not the thing to be eating but i do enjoy it and keeps me going till lunch and keeps me warm on cold winter days, but what could i have as a substitute instead of porridge that will be warming?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Pamela1602
    Welcome to the forum. You will find lots and lots of good advice here.

I find omlette (with cheddar cheese), scrambled eggs, 2 hard boiled eggs with avocado or a fried egg, mushroom, tomato and a slice of bacon keep me going until lunch time. I would never have believed it because my before BSD breakfasts consisted of truly massive amounts of carbs and sugar. I thought I could never get through a morning without them but now I have absolutely no craving for them.

I found – when I was injecting insulin – that porridge sent my blood sugar readings sky high and I had to inject loads of insulin.

My special treat with my breakfast is a nespresso coffee with a teaspoon of cream (sometimes, if I have time, I have 2 coffees).

• posted by weescotty
    on

Hello Pamela. I still eat porridge in Winter. Maybe not every day – I love eggs too. The book does mention as long as the porridge is the ‘real’ stuff = rolled oats not instant , it is good food. If you try the ‘search’ box at the top right of the screen maybe enter ‘porridge’ you can see all sorts of entries. There is also a thread ‘what have you eaten today’ which has loads of ideas. Hope you soon get into your stride. Best wishes.

• posted by pamela1602
    on

I do eat the ‘real stuff’ Scott’s porridge oats normally I don’t like the all in one sachets they taste nasty to me. I do my breakfast once I am at work so cooking of eggs is not really what I could do at work with just a microwave. But it’s handy to know this for weekends when I have more time. Thanks for advice hoping to start in October when my hubby and myself are doing stoptober and giving up drink too. Which I will find quite easy. Wish me luck xx

• posted by Flash21
    on

Just a quick note, you can definitely make scrambled eggs in the microwave! Perhaps not as nice as done in a pan but doable nonetheless! Beat the eggs, add some butter and/or cream, season, put in microwave for 1 minute incremements and mix inbetween until you have desired consistency.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Pamela – eek! eating breakfast at work is an added complication ( saying that safely from my retirement ) is there a kitchen? I believe you can microwave omelettes/scrambled eggs in special dishes. Might get a queue of other staff begging for some if the aroma pervades the building 😉 If you look at Izzy’s 8 week diary she makes her own Scotch eggs without crumbs, that might be a cold option? Something hot in a flask? We don’t need to hang on to traditions of what we eat when so soup/stew for breakfast could be an option ( also I’m not diabetic so don’t have that to factor in either ) and as you trawl the website you will get the drift that many of us have to test and try what ‘works for us’ as we are so different in our metabolisms/what is wrong with our bodies/what we used to eat….. I personally wouldn’t last long with a ‘shake’ but many find them filling and enjoy them. I try to find stuff that doesn’t need loads of washing up. Enjoy your planning and keep posting your progress.

• posted by pamela1602
    on

Hi, there is a kitchen as I work in a Turkey factory! Obviously very busy this time of year and we also get cheap (no pun intended) Turkey in the company shop. The kitchen is fully kitted out with an oven but it is usually used for just cooking up samples for taste panels. I tend to like to use the microwave as its quick and easy, will have to give the scrambled eggs a go whilst at work, just would not want the office to smell ‘eggy’!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello again Pamela,

I don’t think making m/wave scrambled eggs smells too eggy! But if there is an aroma in your office just open the window 😉 Once people see you losing weight with your new way of eating they’ll be begging for them too! I forgot to say in my last post that if you fancy something to go with your eggs you can also do bacon in the microwave. Do it on a plate with some kitchen roll on top and it should come out nice and crispy!

• posted by pamela1602
    on

Now that would cause a reaction- the smell of bacon! It’s making me hungry thinking about it!!

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

I used to take a hard boiled egg to work to eat, and then a colleague started too, no one complained about the smell- well, not to me anyway!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Mmmm hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon……I want them all!!

• posted by pamela1602
    on

just a quick question do you make your porridge with water to keep the calories lower? Conscious that 40g Scots porridge oats is 142 cal without milk, not sure i would be able to eat 40g but that is the serving size on the box

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Pamela1602 to add to the porridge comments the book recommends that you have 25 grams of oats is you really want porridge for breakfast. If you look on the recipe in the book for Medium oatmeal porridge containing 25g oatmean, water, 75ml semi sk milk, coconut oil (why??) cinnamon and 1 fig, you are looking at 31 grams of carbohydrate. If you leave off the fig you get 25 grams of carbs, that is half your days allowance if you are doing the full BSD which recommends 50 grams per day. Working on that calculation your 40 grams would give you 40 grams of carbs (i.e. oats is all carb). Something to think about maybe.

Just a little P.S. 40 grams per serving is what they want you to eat so you finish the box quicker, it is not what you should eat. A bit like the shampoo bottles that tell you to wash your hair twice so you use twice as much shampoo and then, because your hair is stripped on oils, you have to use their conditioner. Savvy marketing.

• posted by pamela1602
    on

Thanks for the info sunshine girl I thought 40g was abut too much to eat

Please log in or register to post a reply.