Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Terez
    on

Thank you Igorasusual. The 2015 version? I will buy it tomorrow and commence asap. Great to read all your advice.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Igor, I have it on pre-order with Amazon and expect it any day. Although I love my Kindle I love to browse through a cook book.

Tabletalk, what we call a courgette has the american name zucchini, long green veg a bit like a cucumber. Eggplant is the other name for aubergine, a beautiful purple gem of a veg. Both are fantastic on this diet.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yes – eternallyoptimistic, I had exactly the same shock when I started weighing my food instead of estimating it. Have just weighed a chicken stir fry that only looks as though it could be no more than 50g but it is 170g on the scales.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Thanks sunshinegirl for the clarification! Love zucchini…it’s been a great sub for pasta dishes for me. I cut up a ton and freeze it and whenever I make spaghetti and meatballs for the family I just pull some out and cook it fast to go with the sauce. Easy! I heard someone mention a meat stuffed aubergine (eggplant) a while back that’s on my short list of things to try! Sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder/motivation KrysiaD and eternally optimistic to weigh/measure! Those little things add up big, and that happened to me Sunday when I thought my dessert was a little cheat but so awful when I realized it was over 400 calorie!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Snoop, really good info from mental4ever ‘re: stress – and MM does mention this in his book. Tabletalks point about ‘nibbles here and there’ is good also – and is something that I have been guilty of.
    You mentioned that your calories are low compared to your carbs. Several people on these threads have mentioned that they need to keep to 25g of carbs a day to lose weight. I am the same and I wondered if you maybe also. I did wonder that if you added something like walnuts or Brazil nuts to your diet which are very calorie heavy compared to their carbs – in place of some of the fruit that is very calorie light compared to its carbs – you would get the calories you need but be eating much fewer carbs. I do sympathize though as it is very hard for me to restrict the fruit.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

KrysiaD this is really helpful. I was on the keto site Igor shared earlier and thinking my carbs are still way over after reading that. When you say 25 carbs is that net or total?

And yes on the fruit…I’ve been downing berries like they’re free..realized yesterday when I started scrutinizing carbs more that I need to cut my servings to 1/4 cup..guess that’s around 60 ml for volume…been doing berries and greek yogurt for breakfast for years.

Y’all, (I’m from the South) I do feel thinner. Hoping the scale moves tomorrow, but even with my mistakes my body is changing.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Yes, Krysia, the fruit is a big source of carbs. I’ve been trying to stick to one piece a day since starting. But we have kilos and kilos of peaches rotting (no point preserving – just more sugar), pears everywhere, melons bursting open… It seems such a waste. But one piece it is. I had a pear at lunch (weighed it) and it was something like 18.5 g of carbs.

Perseverance is all, I think! Come November and it’s cauliflower and cabbage season, maybe I’ll see some kind of result then!

Anyway, really glad to have you guys there, coming up with suggestions and thinking of me.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Oh Snoop how dreamy to have all that fresh produce! Can you freeze it plain? Or go ahead and preserve for Christmas presents? I know the melons won’t work…but all those peaches!

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

Hi Snoop

Yes I look longingly at the 100s of apples on the tree in the garden !!

However, have started to give to neighbours all over the street so now we’re ‘well popular’ !!!

on

I dont count carbs, ive read the book, studied the site and it says best to stick with 800 cals for the long haul !!! so i just dont count carbs !!

on

Alas I am a ‘strict weigher’.

If it says 50g then 50g it is

If i have to go ‘off piste’ then out come the scales

seems to be working !!!

on

Igorasusual

Thanks

Great help on the Almond flour

Pancakes here we come !!!

on

START DATE 29th AUGUST

ok Day 9 over

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 10 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 9 : 16 ponds
    Exercise. Trip to manchester !!

second trip to pub, had fizzy water (Again) !

• posted by Snoop
    on

I live off-grid, Tabletalk, so no freezer. And 54, it’s people like you who are making it worse for me! Two of the local old boys have been round since Monday with yet more melons – the weather is so hot that they’ve got to be eaten now or never – and I’ve had to bung a few in the compost bin. Sacrilege, but there is no-one else to give them to. Most of the peaches will go the same way. One of the guys said he’d be back in a few days with more and I had to tell him that what we were really short of was green vegetables in a bid to stop him from coming and certainly from bringing more fruit. I was mortified, but there was nothing else for it.

I’m going to hold out for now like this, but I’m due to get MM’s book and the recipe book around 20 September, so if I’ve seen no improvement by then, I’m going start strict carb counting as well. I’ll be interested to see how easy it will be for me to follow the meal plan, which would be by far the best way to go about it.

Enjoy the pancakes, 54. Did you lose your ponds in the canal?

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

54 you are doing fantastic, I wouldn’t worry about my counting carb talk…. keep up with what you’re doing now and enjoy all the rewards!!

I know for myself that to drop any weight I have to pay attention to the carbs. I quit eating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc from the beginning but didn’t count carbs (well except for my 2 desserts(!) this past weekend I’ve been dessert/sugar free too) but weight loss is slow or stagnant even with staying at 800 calories; if I have a serving of dessert or bread it sets me back.

I think the journey changes a bit as you go. I started losing weight at 105.9kg (233 lbs) in high school through what we’d call mindfulness, and for me it included prayer. It all came pouring off 20 lbs a month at a time with plateaus in between as I’d learn a new food habit to add or subtract. After a couple of years I’d changed a lot of habits and they’ve stuck for over 15 years. But getting rid of the last 20 has been a challenge. It seems to require a lot of diligence and faithfulness. And not very much cake 😉 I really want a treat or splurge along the way, but it always sets me back, especially if it awakens the craving beast within!

I’m excited for all of us as we get some hard earned results and at least don’t have to battle hunger (after the initial adjustment to the diet).

Snoop, the book is really encouraging and the recipes will help tons to get you started without having to think through all the details for every single meal. You’ll have more of an idea what to work on after that. I think just starting with 800 calories at least eases you into portion measuring and mindfulness. You’re off to a good start just tackling it!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Tabletalk – I am in the UK so the carbs are net with the fibre deducted. I absolutely love pears, cherries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries and it has been so hard to restrict them. I have also had yoghurt and fruit for breakfast for years but I am beginning to like eggs for breakfast instead.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks for the encouragement, Tabletalk. My biggest difficulty will possibly be getting hold of ingredients. I’ll have to wait and see. Nearest supermarket is a 55 mile round journey. Anything with fish is going to be difficult. But I’m sure I’ll be able to find substitutes.

One of the things I might really have to think about giving up is coffee. I have it with a lot of milk (200 ml) for breakfast. Bit like a latte macchiato (tiny amount of espresso but all that milk). Not many calories, but 10 carbs right there.

on

Hi Snoop

Im a coffee lover too

Wont cut it out as i realy like that first cup in the morning

Used to have 8+ a day, now trained myself to have 4 morning, lunch, tea, bedtime

I measure milk and count calories, (hate black coffee) 50 ml FULL FAT for THE DAY. Put this is a jug and use this, any left is bonus for next day.
    200ml in a cup is a lot !!!! (Its coffee flavoured milk !)

if in doubt perhaps rely on the the 3 good old healthy eating staples, chicken, fish and salad !!

on

Hi Tabletalk

Alas this is a no sugar diet so step away from the bread, desert and sugar TOTALY

If you were a smoker and gave up smoking one day but then had half a fag and a cigar the next, im afraid your still a smoker !!

i try to be very strict as i know i am very bad, one biscuit will make me have another and ill give in for the day and thats it,,, no more healthy eating.. so I stay away from temptation !! (boo hoo)

on

Hey snoop… just got your ‘ponds’ comment !!!! very clever

Id need a big garden for 16 Ponds !!!

on

I dont want to discourage people just the opposite

I do have an AWFUL lot of weight to lose so it comes off quicker, than perhaps someone with less, when i step away from the bread, cake, crisps, biscuits, sugar etc etc that i used to eat tons of.

• posted by Snoop
    on

It is indeed coffee-flavoured milk. And delicious too as far as I’m concerned. I’d really miss not having it if I had to give it up. It takes me right through to lunch, sometimes as late as 2.30.

Calorie-wise, it fits in; carb-wise, probably not. I suppose I could try having a smaller one, but OH makes it for me and it’s taken me years to train him to make it just the way I like it. Changing the parameters is probably not a good move.

• posted by Healthy Again
    on

Can you swap meals on the provided menu plan in the book with other recipes from the book provided as long as the calorie count is similar? ie. Sardine dip for peanut butter dip or veg fritata for mushroom ‘risotto’?

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

54 you’re absolutely right! My dessert disaster this weekend was 25% choice in the beginning and then ended up being 75% bigger and and badder than I meant to be! If you will all permit me to make up random statistics : ) I will say that when I’m strictly non sugar I can do it, but the minute I have a treat I’m in risky territory. So it’s best to stay away as you said. Maybe in the end we’ll figure out how to enjoy the treats in true moderation. Ugh… slippery slope! I remember somewhere on the site or in the book Michael talking about wanting to throw out the toaster to avoid the temptation : )

• posted by Frog
    on

Healthy again
    Many people on here don’t follow the recipes, or mix and match – I haven’t used any of the recipes, but just cut down on the carbs (I was aiming at below 50, am now trying to restrict to 30g)

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Snoop that does sound like a challenge with the food acquisition itself. I use my fitness pal which tracks calories, carbs, fats, and protiens. So maybe you could discern what are the best protein and fat sources for you, and create your menus around those. Any carbs in the diet seem to come from a gram here and there in the meats, yogurts, cheeses, and low GI veggies (green things). The book and website give some good lists. It may take a little studying to get it tweaked for what’s available to you. Maybe consider switching to half and half instead of milk. It’s higher in fat but lower in carbs, and you don’t need as much to lighten the coffee.

Healthy Again, all the recipes center on getting calories mainly from fats and proteins and avoiding the kinds of veggies/fruits that will spike the blood sugar. Portions are decent considering only 800 calories a day and you get a lot of bang for your buck with veggies like zucchini, green beans, squash, broccoli, salad greens, cabbage cauliflower etc. So yes, you can work out your own recipes, but keeping the macros high in fat and protein and low in carbs is the key to not being hungry all day.

• posted by Frog
    on

Wow Snoop – 55 miles to a supermarket that is remote – you must have superb access to lovely walks though!

At home, I have Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsbury, Co-op and a couple of independents within a five minute walk – although they are small branches, the nearest biggish supermarket is about half a mile away.
    I once moved to Sussex for work, and was so panicked about being six miles from the nearest pint of milk that I did my biggest supermarket shop ever the first weekend – including UHT milk that was still unopened when I left eighteen months later!

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Ok I know I’m a chatty Cathy on here today. Just excited about making it all the way through the day in less than 50 carbs and 800 calories. Watched/measured food like a hawk today!

Menu for today:
    Coffee with 1/2T half and half
    2 egg omelette made with 1 T half and half
    1 cup sauteed spinach
    1/4 bell pepper sautéed

Tuna mixed with salsa stuffed in Joseph’s flax pita (4g net carbs) with 0.7 oz sharp cheddar cheese, 2T full fat greek yogurt
    1 cup romaine lettuce with 1 T regular fat dressing

62 calorie portion of 70% dark chocolate
    1/4 T natural peanut butter

4 turkey meatballs
    1/2 cup green beans in butter

30 min walk at incline of 2 and speed 4
    Numbers:
    819 calories
    64g protein
    23 g carbs
    50 g fat
    Not hungry!!

Thanks for walking these days out with me as I put the pieces together.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys. Yes, Frog, there are lots of fantastic walks in this area. OH says that if we lived in the UK, we’d be unable to move for parked cars and people out with their dogs. It isn’t a declared natural park, but it’s beautiful enough. We don’t go to church but when the almonds are in blossom, we call this place ‘God’s own garden’.

Tabletalk, not sure what half and half is. I have it with skimmed milk. Heresy, I know, but I’ve tried upping the fat and it just isn’t right. Spain isn’t good for cream, if that’s what it is. No idea where all the cream from their dairy industry goes, probably France. We only have UHT cream and even find it difficult to buy fresh milk locally, only UHT, which I’ve now got used to.

That was an interesting run-down of food, Tabletalk. My first thought was: that looks like a lot! Just goes to show how I’ve adjusted to smaller portions. I even left some of my supper salad because I was full. Yesterday I had coffee-flavoured milk for breakfast, fake chicken madras (75 g chicken plus a bit of onion, 2 tbsp of chickpeas, cauli and courgette, all weighed and accounted for) and a pear for lunch, huge salad (biggest little gem I’ve ever seen) plus a can of tuna in oil (drained oil – sunflower oil) with a tbsp of olive oil and lemon juice for supper.

Out of interest, does MM have anything to say about five-a-day in his book? I try to get more than that, and that could be a part of my carb problem as I’m certainly eating too many tomatoes at the moment by the look of it. Not many left on the plants now, so that’ll change shortly.

OK, now for figures:

86.7 kg
    -0.2 kg
    – 1.7 kg

Yesterday’s food and exercise
    820 cals
    88 carbs
    40 minutes or so of gardening.

on

Hi Tabletalk

Yes my bread maker has been ‘given away’ !!!!

No more home made bread for me (I dont miss any bread now !! Yeh !!!)

on

START DATE 29th AUGUST

ok Day 10 over (Wow double figures already !!)

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 9 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 10 : 17 pounds 1 stone 3 lbs in old money.

Dangers today. Having lunch out !!! (First time)

• posted by Snoop
    on

You coped at the pub, 54, and I would have found that a challenge. Have a good time.

I’m up for stir-fried chicken today (with loads of cabbage).

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

I’m down a pound this morning!
    4lbs total since Aug. 25
    Started 167lbs
    Today 163lbs

Super excited : )

Way to go 54! 10 days adherence to the diet is something to be very pleased with! Look what you’ve done in that time! Awesome results.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Help please. I and OH we’re not going to follow the 8 week diet plan until beginning of October but following the cancellation of an expected get together we are going to have a go at it from Monday. The only problem is that OH does not like Red Peppers or Avocados. Can anyone suggest alternatives so I can help his stay the distance. I was thinking of Beef Tomatoes instead on the Red Peppers but would welcome any suggestions.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Humm … that’s a puzzler. Have had a look at the carbs in both red peppers and tomatoes and tomatoes come in at less, although they are slightly higher in calories, but only by about 8 cals per 100g. There isn’t really anything comparable with avocado though. My suggestion would be to opt for a dish that doesn’t involve this ingredient instead. It is not mandatory to stick to the meal plan, so you can make something different as long as you work out the calories, preferably to be within the 800.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Thanks SunnyB for your comment but I thought I would follow the food guidelines in the book and repeat the first 14 days of meal plans with as little change to the original menus as possible. We have been following our own meal plan for the last week, just to get used to smaller portions and due to weigh tomorrow but I am way out in Carb & Sugars(mostly natural) even though we have remained on average around 800 calories.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Mental4ever, I understand completely that you want to follow the recipe guidelines. You could certainly replace the red peppers with tomatoes as SunnyB says there is not much different in the nutritional content.

With regard to avocados then sadly I am with Sunny that there’s not much alternative – an avocado is fairly unique in texture and flavour!! – I would suggest that you avoid it, and repeat something else which you and OH do enjoy better.

Or if you are getting the hang of the quantities, and the sorts of vegetables and meats/fish/cheeses used, you concoct something slightly different which you make up yourself?

Whilst the recipes are really convenient, it’s great if you can sort of use them to train yourself to make up your own meals as this will be hugely helpful when you’ve finished your 8 weeks and are maintaining this sort of lifestyle. Because if you go straight back to pasta/potatoes/bread etc then the good work may be reversed.

Hope that helps! 🙂

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Thanks both. Will see how we get on and try to substitute the ‘Avocado’ meals with something roughly same value in carbs, sugar & calories.

• posted by Snoop
    on

86.5 kg
    – 0.2 kg
    – 1.9 kg

827 cals
    76 carbs
    20 minutes or so of gardening

Virtually no exercise and again more carbs than desirable. I’ve decided that I can tinker with the carbs, but for now they will have to stay high due to the veg we have in the garden and because I need to eat lots of them due to stomach condition and medication I’m taking. So, I’m not going to worry too much about the carbs for now. Weight loss occurring and am enjoying the diet and the company. So thanks guys.

Had a fantastic supper: thin courgette batons (very roughly cut – no spiraliser) with spinach and garlic, cooked in butter with blue cheese stirred in at the end. Really delicious. 310 calories and 14 carbs. Will definitely have that again.

Out of interest, does anyone on here have a spiraliser? Is it really worth it, or is it just another gadget that won’t get used because it doesn’t do anything a knife can’t and it’s a fiddle to wash up?

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Snoop. I got a hand held green oxo brand spiraliser, to give it a go without spending too much money. It was about £14 I seem to recall. You use it like a pencil sharper and it’s only viable with long thin things, like courgettes, cucumbers and carrots. I was very sceptical but am now quite a convert! I mix in raw spiralised courgettes into hot sauces/bolognaise and it works very well.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi everyone. Week 1 over and both OH and I have lost 4lb. Very happy with this loss but want to see what happens when we follow 8 week BSD plan, although it will initially only be for 2weeks.

Thanks Bissell for the information on the spiraliser as I have also wondered how it worked and what vegetables could be used.

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve got one of those ‘pencil sharpener’ type green and white ones – they’re great. I got mine on amazon for less than £10, but I saw them in a supermarket the other day.
    They are brilliant for courgette and carrot, and I haven’t really tried anything else (well I did, and cabbage didn’t work!)
    I’m not sure how they would cope with larger vegetables – I had a lovely supermarket salad the other day with spiralised butternut squash in it for example.
    For £10, they are a great way to try out whether you like spiralised veg (you can also try out by buying pre-spiralised from a supermarket). Just after I’d ordered mine, Lynne recommended the slightly larger Cuisique Spiralizer – currently £23 on amazon, which does a wider range of veg, including larger veg.
    Lynne assured me it doesn’t take up to much kitchen drawer space!

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Thanks Frog. My kitchen cupboards are full of unused equipment so at the moment I will go in for small is beautiful. Have been looking at different ones on YouTube. Have not made my mind up which one yet. 🍆🍆🍆

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

End of week 2. So happy as I’ve lost 7 lbs and the jeans now fit so much better – with no overhang! I havent weighed 10 st 10 lbs for about 3 years. One more week of strict dieting then a week in the sun, when I plan to at least not put any back on! Then back on track for the next 14 lbs. Again i have to say how much I’m loving some of the recipes in the book. I have around 30 cookbooks yet I’m making quick and easy veggie meals that are so different. Even my carnivorous OH and two teenage sons are also enjoying. Loved the beetroot falafels we had last night – and they are really filling. Hope everyone else feels as good this weekend.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi eternallyoptimistic. Love the term overhang – I’ve got a fair way to go before that disappears! Anyway congratulations.

Thanks for the info on spiralisers, Frog. Might see if I can get a Cuisique from Amazon. The blades look very easy to change. Much safer than the fancy French mandoline I bought. Came with a good finger guard, but you could easily lose the end of your fingers changing the blades, as they don’t fit at all well. It’s still packed away in a box somewhere since we moved here (years ago), but I’m not in a hurry to fish it out. It was positively lethal.

My figures for today’s weigh-in
    86.0 kg
    – 0.5 kg
    Overall change – 2.4 kg

731 cals
    68 carbs
    45 mins moderate walk with dogs. Really enjoyed it.

Quite a big drop for me in one day. Slightly fewer carbs and fewer calories than I meant to eat, but ate very well and healthily and slept like a log.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My figures for today’s weigh-in
    85.7kg
    – 0.3kg
    Overall change – 2.7 kg

873 cals
    49 carbs
    45 mins moderate walk with dogs.

Over on the calories but, for the first time ever, under 50 g on the carbs. The extra calories will be fat, so that should be easy to cut down on a bit today.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Congratulations Snoop. 👍👍👍

• posted by bloke41
    on

Week 2 done and dusted, pretty tough week, but got through it. Weigh in 153.9 kg waist 151 cm, staring weight 159.9kg waist 158 cm, total weight loss 6kg. still sticking to no coffee or soft drink. Keeping up with 10000 steps a day and book exercises 3 times a week. Great effort everyone keep it up!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Wowee, bloke41, that is some result! You must be really pleased. A tough week, maybe, but the results are plain to see. Congratulations.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Blike41 well done. Two weeks in is a good feeling and your results are great. Snoop well done on all points. It took me some time to figure out how to get my carbs down.
    Yesterday’s totals:
    Calories: 797
    Carbs: 44
    Weight: 163lbs
    -4 since start
    Got a run in yesterday and managed daily exercise since last Sunday.

Please log in or register to post a reply.