Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Wow! That’s amazing news, 54fatnomore.

87.6 kg
    – no change since yesterday
    – 0.9 kg overall

Yesterday’s food and exercise
    789 cals
    25 minutes gardening
    30 mins walk with dogs – slow because evening temps still in the mid-30s

Surprised to see no change in weight given that I managed to stick to calories. But there you go. Tomorrow’s another day.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

thanks snoop

Just about to jump on the scales today !!

on

ok Day 6 over

AFTER DAY 6

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 13 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 6: 13 Pounds !!

Exercise. Long walk

(still not up to 10000 steps ! Must try harder !!)

• posted by Ren65
    on

Well done 54! Your results and reduction in medical condition is inspiring and I am sure if anything will keep you on this way of life it’s the thought of your eyes getting better all the time! I do feel my eyesight is brighter now don’t know if it’s because the tiredness has left me though! Anyhow, yesterday’s stats cals 796, carbs 37.5, steps over 11,000. Weight today another 1 1/4lb down 11lbs in total after day 6! Can’t wait for end of the week stats now! Have a great Sunday everyone!x

• posted by Dorybach
    on

Everyone is doing so well! Big push for day 7 now. I personally found yesterday really tough but stuck with it. Total cals 676, total carbs 17g. Total loss this week so far: 5.8lbs.

• posted by littlepete
    on

Hello all. I started on 29th too so thought I’d join along here with you all.
    I’m male, age 44, start weight at 127.3 kg and recently I’ve felt a bit of a wreck health wise.

Last year a routine blood test showed I was in the diabetic range but I agreed with my Doctor that I would manage with diet. If i’m honest after a couple of weeks I was soon back in my old routines, eating everything I shouldn’t and drinking far too much alcohol. I was paying no attention to my health and fitness.

A couple of months ago I started to get some of the classic symptoms of diabetes, thirsty, and disturbed sleep from going to the loo 3 or 4 times a night. My pee had a very strange smell and I knew something wasn’t right, I felt like my body was telling me a tipping point had been reached and if I didn’t change my ways something bad was going to happen.My dad did a blood glucose test for me and I was horrified to see that it was at 20.0 mmol. My dad is diabetic and on a load of medication and then my sister found out she was too and her doctor immediately put her on metformin. I was determined I wouldn’t be going down the medication route!

So nearly one week in on the BSD and things are going really well. My weight has dropped by 0.9 kg – I was expecting to have lost more but I haven’t done much exercise this week. However my weight at the end of July was 131.9 kg and since then I’ve reduced the booze and started BSD I’ve lost 5.5 kg in total – so I’m really pleased with that.

I’ve been tracking my blood glucose every morning, before any food or drink – and these results are really pleasing. I’ve listed my readings below (some prior to BSD)

02/08 16.7
    03/08 16.8
    06/08 17.0
    13/08 16.6
    17/08 16.2
    25/08 16.2
    27/08 14.7
    30/08 13.0 (Day 1 BSD)
    31/08 12.8
    01/09 10.9
    02/09 9.7
    03/09 11.0
    04/09 9.0

My blood pressure is also lower than its been for months, I’m sleeping better and I feel generally just more alert and interested in life again. I’m following the recipes in the book and I’m finding them really tasty.
    I know its a long journey but I’m buzzing with the progress so far!

• posted by Snoop
    on

What a fantastic outcome, littlepete. That’s quite some drop in blood glucose in just a few days. Brilliant news. Is your sister tempted to join you?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

well done, littlepete, just shows that BSD works. For me it is all about the blood sugar the weight will come off anyway.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

So. The votes are in at the end of week one. 2.2kg lost. This is nuts! I have been trying to do this for the past 6 months and although I haven’t massively changed my diet I am carefully monitoring my portion size. And a WEIRD thing is happening. At the beginning of the week when I was measuring out my paltry meals I would look on in horror, however they are now satisfying me. In fact I have found a really strong cheddar which I only need half the amount of because the taste in itself is sufficient. Similarly, I have a sweet tooth and that is obviously not accommodated I this new lifestyle. Last night I made my daughter blackberry and apple crumble with cream. I had SUGAR FREE JELLY. This is the way to go people! Just one spoon of jelly satisfies the sweetie addict in me.

One happy bunny!!

on

Thanks Ren65

My weight loss is a total surprise but my eyesight is a bonus and an incentive to see what happens after the eight weeks + limit.

Well don yourself. Good on you

• posted by bloke41
    on

Hi all,

First week done and dusted,
    weight 155.9
    waist 155cm

Starting weight 159.9
    waist 158cm

weight loss 4kg

I know most of it is probably water weight, but still pretty happy with result, still managing to stay off the coffee and soft drink, and keeping up with walking and exercise. Hopefully week 2 is not has tough.

• posted by Dorybach
    on

At the end of week 1 I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised.
    Total weight loss: 6.2lbs
    Waist reduced by 1″
    This next week will be the test for me as 7lbs is normally where I get stuck.
    Also anticipating this week being difficult as all the kids are back in school (I’m a teacher in secondary school) and therefore I will be much more active.
    Good luck everyone!

on

Great news Bloke 41

I’m on the scales after my first week later.

on

Dorybach

I think keep the thread here as many are not second 8ers like me

• posted by Snoop
    on

Looks like we’re all making decent progress. Well done us. I’ve moved on too.

86.8 kg
    – 0.8 kg
    – 1.7 kg overall

778 cals
    88 carbs (too many but never mind; including a late-night banana as pulling an all-nighter for work)
    25 minutes gardening

Not suffering severe hunger pangs, just a few minor tummy gurgles before dinner, which is probably normal, just not used to them as I used to graze all the time. Am feeling quite well overall, just tired from not getting enough sleep last night. Tomorrow’s weigh-in is the end of my week. Might celebrate with a full-fat Greek yoghurt instead of a banana. Am really enjoying this diet!

• posted by Ren65
    on

Everyone is doing so well! Totals for yesterday cals 755, carbs 32.5, steps 11,000+. End of week stats weight slightly up on yesterday 12.2 1/4 loss for week one 10lbs. Waist start 38.5 now 34.5 so 4″ off unbelievable! Definitely had a lot of water weight and inches! Week 2 will be interesting to see how we all get on! Have another good week everyone!x

on

ok Day 7 over

AFTER WEEK 1

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER WEEK 1: 1 STONE (14 pounds)

Slightly amazed

Exercise. Long walk

Fingers crossed for week 2

• posted by Snoop
    on

That is absolutely amazing, both of you. What a success.

What with that and your improved eye condition, 54, you must be feeling dead chuffed.

The pair of you will soon have to start saving for a new wardrobe. 🙂

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi. I’d love to join your group even though I won’t be starting my 8 week plan until the end of the month because of family/friends functions which are coming up this month. However, I will been trying to keep my calorie intake below 1000per day and within diet guidelines for the rest of the month. My OH is type 2 but at the moment is diet controlled but he does suffer from high blood pressure and colestrol for which he is taking medication. We are hoping that this diet will help with all his medical problems.

• posted by Snoop
    on

mental4ever, you sound a bit like me. I have a holiday for a few days towards late September then a wedding in early October. But I was keen to get started. I did a few days of around a thousand calories but have dropped to around 800 in recent days. I was amazed how easy it was to adjust. This is an amazingly easy diet to follow, and you only have to look at some people’s results to see how effective it is.

Good that you and your OH will be doing this together. Sounds like you’ve got good motives as well, which always helps motivation.

Good luck!

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Thanks Snoop.
    We have just had our 5 year old granddaughter for 4 weeks and towards the end we were buying loads of processed food so we could get meals cooked quickly to go off for the day when we would again eat more rubbish as picnics etc. Reading the BSD book I also realised the amount of this food she has been consuming during her lifetime and what the results could be on her health. I will be talking to her parents about this and their food choices when I have completely got my head around most of the information given in the book.
    Both my OH and myself have at least 3 stone (I deal in old money) to reach our target weigh and as well as dieting have today started swimming (I think they call my type of swimming ‘floundering’) as I am super unfit.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Not easy not to cut corners when you have kids, I imagine, especially when you’re on holiday and want to make the most of things.

I have a rather unique swimming style too: my OH taught me how to swim and I can only do breast stroke, but with the oddity that my feet come out of the water and clap together. I guess it’s because I’m trying to keep my head out of water (I suffer with ear infections if they get wet inside). But no way can I change. OH is quite pleased I do this: he says if he can see someone with clapping feet out in the water, he knows I haven’t drowned!

Anyway, with the BSD, there’s hope for us all yet.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Hi All,

Could I join this thread? I started Thursday 26th August. Lost 3 lbs in the first week. Nil since then, though I went overboard this past weekend with desserts when friends were over. And, I realized I really need to count carbs. When I looked back over the week’s carb totals, they were 60-90/day. I think that’s stalling me out after the initial loss.

I only have about 20 lbs to lose, but have tried for years to lose it with exercise and different diets. This one makes sense to me, but I’m working at breaking old habits, raising 4 kids, and find it going slow. I’m not diabetic, but was obese as a teenager and type 2 diabetes is on both sides of my family. Plus, I have an obnoxious nibbling habit (and sweet tooth!) to break whenever I’m stressed.

It’s great to read your success stories, especially in the beginning phases.
    5’8″ tall female, 38 y.o.
    Starting weight: 167lbs (75.91kg)
    Now: 164lbs (74.5kg)

Well done everyone! So glad you are being so well rewarded on the scales and with the measurements!! Hope your week goes well!

• posted by JulieR62
    on

Hi Everyone

I’ve really enjoyed reading all your comment’s, hints, tips and progress reports this week, it’s really inspiring, I have had a stressful weekend but still managed to keep on track, I would usually turn to chocolate or biscuits, then feel guilty, but I know I need to change my mindset and worked hard to keep going, not only have I lost weight but fought one small battle, I’m sure there will be plenty more along the way, but I’ll tackle them one at a time.

I’m going to London for the weekend and know it will be hard to keep 800 calories up but I will get back on it when I return. Here are my weekly stats:

Start weight 14st 7lb
    End weight 13st 8lb
    Loss 13lb

Exercise 3 gym sessions burning around 300 calories
    Food between 800-850 calories per day.

I’ll post next week even if its a gain from my mini holiday, all the very best everyone.
    Julie

• posted by eagerhaggis
    on

Just thought I would share I had my first weigh in this morning and have lost 3.4kg. I so love this woe. 😀

• posted by Ren65
    on

Welcome to all the new posters! I have had another unexplained gain of 3/4 lb! Could be a combination of time of the month and slight constipation. I won’t let it get me down! Stats from yesterday cals 738, carbs 37.6, steps 10,000+. Hope everyone has a good day!

• posted by Success@48
    on

I’m starting today so I’m a week behind most of you. I did this BSD in May this year and found its success amazing and so encouraging to know I could actually succeed at a diet/ strict calorie restriction and feel satisfied and energised and I lost about 6 kgs. Ok so about 3 kgs have gone back on ( summer, lack of concentrating on myself and my health) but most of that was in the last week. September new start and have not used the forum before. Looks great.
    Keep in touch!
    Starting weight 76kg. Height 5′ 5.5″. Waist 39.5 inches.
    Aim to lose 8 kgs.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Well, I woke up with a headache and 100 g more than I got up with yesterday despite sticking to the calories. Not doing as well as everyone else, but also very tied to desk due to work, and obviously eating more than recommended amount of carbs. Maybe I just have one of those bodies that is good at conserving energy!

Unfortunately, work takes priority at the moment. Should be able to ease up a bit next week. In the meantime, onwards if not inwards by that much.

End of first week figures

86.9 kg
    + 0.1 kg
    – 1.6 kg overall (approx 3.5 lbs)
    Waist 116 cm (-1 cm)

781 cals
    90 carbs (too busy to make lunch so OH made sandwiches)
    No exercise

Side benefits: no twinges in my diaphragm area apart from hernia, which has stopped gurgling if I lie on my side. A distinct improvement. Am also sleeping well.
    Alcohol: one beer all week, also a big achievement for me.

Well done everyone else!

on

START DATE 29th AUGUST

ok Day 8 over

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 11 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 8 : 15 ponds

Exercise. Long walk

Went out for meal last night had smoked salmon , prawns and salad starter as my main

First visit to pub for ages. Had sparkling water .
    Came in a small plastic bottle and staff seemed well geared up to such an order

Side effects: Trousers now fit better !!

on

Hi snoop

Hang in there

I dont count carbs but aim at the 800 cals as book suggests

I have desk job so have to stand every half hour and then have a walk at lunch very short, and longer one at night. Have pedometer so just keep going until i see about 10000 (most times 8000)

I am away from alcohol for 8 weeks !!! as know this is a bad thing for weight (Liquid bread they say !!!)

I avoid everything bread like !!! No lapses at all. I am a bread lover (Have own bread maker now gathering dust) but bonus is I dont fancy any bread things at the moment.

Refused a crisp yesterday !!!

Keep going snoop

on

JulieR62

I have been on trips away and as long as you are strong and think nothing white and NO SUGAR things are easy

Dont drink

Dont be tempted by ‘one wont hurt’ because it will !!!

Think why did you start this new way of eating ?

You will have many trips away when you are your new thin self so need to get used to new eating away style now !!!

Tell EVERYONE you are on the 800 cal a day diet and gain their support.

They wont force feed you

Only you put the food in your mouth !!! (as my aunty used to say!!)

But above all, enjoy the visit !!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks, 54. I’m self-employed and the main, not to say only breadwinner in the household. Sorry about breadwinner – just goes to show how ingrained it is in our food culture. And the Spanish economy has been and still is so bad that I’ve been saying yes to almost everything. Only seven more months till the mortgage is paid off, then I’ll feel a lot more relaxed about things.

Anyway, great motivation and inspiration. So thanks.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Should have said, well done at the pub. Sounds like the starter was delicious.

Plus, congrats on the trousers!

on

Almond flour in pancakes

Is it allowed ? has anyone used almond flour

• posted by Snoop
    on

Well, I’m starting to feel like I’m letting the side down. No idea what’s going on. Maybe I’m genetically doomed not to lose weight! The only thing I can say, guys, is I’m not cheating on the figures for the cals and exercise. Maybe I just have to be patient and, when I get the book, try and follow the specified plan rather than just cut the calories and carbs. OH isn’t on the diet – he’s eating larger portions of the same food as me and lots more carbs (bread) – and he’s visibly losing weight.

Day 8

86.9 kg
    No change
    – 1.6 kg overall

805 cals
    Exercise: 1 h 30 mins gardening, 20 mins brisk walk with dogs before bed

I’ll keep going. Something has to give soon. At least I don’t feel so bloated when I go to bed and when I wake up. And not drinking is definitely having some benefits – my sense of smell has improved – and what with that and the healthy food, I’m feeling quite well and more alert.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Snoop
    Are you drinking at least 2-3 litres of non cal fluids per day, that is vital. Most of mine tends to be from herbal teas, so it doesn’t have to be water.
    Are you eating enough fat…from meat, avocados, some nuts, dairy? Anything low fat is loaded with sugar so will sabotage the plan.
    Can you up the walking to at least 40 mins per day?
    I’ve lost over 26kg in 20 weeks, so I know this works!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Antigone
    on

Snoop – are you measuring? It maybe that your size is reducing even if the scales are not moving. Also building muscle (all that foot clapping!) might be off setting fat loss..Keep going you know it will work – maybe it will all drop off in one go! I’ve had more than a few hiccups (mostly due to social events) but even when the scales stall I can feel my clothes getting looser. Good luck 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Snoop – that is really good advice from Linda.
    I was a very slow loser (15lb in 3 months) was eating all the right stuff but was doing all the calculations by estimating the weight of the food I was eating. I have just started using Fat Secret and weighing everything (well not everything as I don’t think taking scales into a restaurant would go down very well) and now realise that my estimates were not very accurate. The weight loss is now on the move.
    An interesting side effect of the healthy diet we are following. I started driving in 1975 and have always struggled with glare from headlights at night – of course it has got worse since the diabetic macular oedema. I haven’t driven at night since I started the BSD but have the last two evenings – and what was so great was that there was no glare from headlights at all – how amazing is that! So even if the weight is not going down very fast there are so many other good things happening to our bodies.

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

I just want to emphasise what KrysiaD says about estimating vs weighing. I’m a big salad fan and I usually pile it up on my plate and tell myself that these are ‘good’ calories. Last night, as an experiment, I decided to weigh everything that I would usually put into a side salad – one that takes up about half of my plate. I was having this with the lovely spicy bean burgers. Contents: lettuce leaves, a handful of tomatoes, a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds, a small handful of black olives, half an avocado and a tablespoon (or so) of oil/vinegar dressing. I nearly fell off my chair when I added it all up to 350 for the salad and 150 for the dressing, total of 500 calories!!!! Ordinarily, this wouldn’t bother me as I know it’s all good, healthy stuff, but that’s about twice as much as the burgers! I’ll have to pay the price today.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Snoop.
    Hope that you are feeling better today. You mention that you are grabbing everything because of the economy and wanting to get you mortgage finished. You may not be loosing as expected because of stress. Stress is counterproductive if you are also trying to diet.
    Here’s hoping everything turns around soon.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi KrysiaD
    So glad that you are ‘seeing’ the benefits of you weight loss (sorry for pun). I am a driver and with the winter months approaching I know I would feel lost if I could not drive when it got dark. 🌚🌚🌚

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Hi everyone.
    End of week 1 for me. 3.6lbs down. Was 207.6, now 204.
    Bit disappointed but know that I struggled on 3 of the days to keep undef 800 cals.
    The headache has now gone and feel more able to see this through. Yesterday’s stats were – cals 799, carbs 43, fat 31, protein 86. Happy with that just not sure about the fat and protein figures?
    Have managed to up my walking this week and was over my 10,000 steps on 4/7 days. Aim to improve on this too.
    Thanks eternallyoptimistic with your post about salad, I am going to be weighing the lettuce from now on!
    Have been following all your posts, so well done everyone for posting and for those on a plateau just stick to it and the scales will move.
    Cheering you all, Denise.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Well, yesterday was interesting. I went out on a bike ride – a short one but still burned 660 calories. I then had to take the hounds out for a walk which burned another 150 or so. So I was pretty much in negative equity. By the time I got to the end of the day, I was massively hungry – there are only so many nuts that you can nibble on!

Went to bed, slept like a log but this morning I have lost another 0.3kg so worthwhile the hunger pain for one day I reckon.

So, 3.4kg lost since starting – it is quite steady – none yesterday (I dread getting on scales in case I have put any on!). Trying some spiralizing tonight to see if I can bulk up on courgette!

Well done all!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done all!

Denisesunny, you shouldn’t worry about how swiftly you lose, keep an eye on the measurements and see if your shape is changing! Often clothes are looser whilst weight is the same or not much less.
    However, looking at your stats, it may be that you had too much protein and not quite enough fat. You may be interested in having a look at the following site

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

If you enter in your details, your activity levels, have a good estimate of body fat and so on, it will throw out your calorie requirements for maintenance (which I found very interesting – much lower than I’d thought) and you can then put in the 800 calories and, if you’re doing 50g of carbs, you can put that in. It will then throw out protein targets and fat targets which you can put into MyFitnessPal (or whatever app you’re using).

You can only do averages by day, it’s not easy to hit precise targets as you will know, but it may be that slightly more fat (I know, I know, we all have to get used to that) will help with the weight loss within your 800 calories.

Hope that helps. It worked for me! 🙂

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Almond Flour – 54andfatnomore – not sure if anyone replied?

Yes, it’s allowed, just count it in!! 🙂

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Thanks Igorasusual, I checked on the keto calculator and figures I have are fine. It does keep warning me about losing muscle though. Guess that would be the same for all of us.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Lots of good advice on here. I’ve been doing fine with no hunger on 800 Cal’s but struggling to stick to <50g carbs and the weight loss is slow or just stalled. Upped my exercise 2 days ago and am getting at least one session in of a run, long brisk walk, or hit/circuit training. Trying to add a second daily session of exercise, but no time yesterday. I changed my settings today on mfp to set targets for macros (was just leaving it at default settings). Hopefully this will help me keep on the lookout before I overdo it.

3lbs lost overall. Gained a lb last weekend that I just got back off yesterday. Hoping to move downwards soon!!

Snoop, I’m in the same boat with slow loss, and my pitfall is a nibble here and there that “won’t hurt” and estimating too. I tallied up my nibbles of my kids’ oat cereal yesterday (kept going back in the kitchen and nabbing 2-3 bites of dry cereal throughout the day), and I guessed I had at least 1/2 cup of it which ruined my carb count : ( this may not be an issue for you but I am playing detective for myself and trying to spot the culprit. I’m otherwise staying in the neighborhood of 800 cal (though I’m never much under!) And eating tons of fat/pro. Need to up my water as I tend to neglect that in the afternoons.

Igorasusual, thanks for the link…look forward to understanding that better and getting my macros right.

KrysiaD, that is such amazing and wonderful news about your vision! It’s incredible how quickly our bodies begin to thrive on this diet!

Chookymama, I’m amazed at your activity level! Glad you were rewarded on the scale : )

Keep trucking everyone! The work of making good choices and learning new ways is a success in itself!

Besides eggs and courgette (we call it eggplant! I think I have the right veg in mind) anyone have favorite foods that really work well? I like the menus, but I have been winging it. Been doing salads with turkey, eggs are great any meal, and greek yogurt (no sugar/flavor, sometimes full fat, sometimes no fat) . Have a weakness for peanut butter….hmm….I think I may need to lock that stuff up as I’m tasting it a lot lately (and counting it, but I estimate!)

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been weighing everything, each individual ingredient, and measuring olive oil and lemon juice even. I’ve been logging everything in Fat Secret (I wish they’d called it something else). All in all, it’s very odd. The only way I can account for it is that although I’m sticking to the calories, my carbs will be off. I live miles from the shops, so most of the veg I eat we grow. Could mean more sugars than Fat Secret allows for, so maybe I need to knock some calories off. I eat almost no processed food. There is also a lot of fruit about at this time of year, but I’ve tried not to overdo it (hard, as we have some absolutely fantastic melons at the moment). I’ve been drinking plenty of water too. I’ve also been eating fat (had a two-egg omelette with 20 g of Cheddar cooked in 10 g of butter for lunch yesterday, for example). All accounted for in my calories. Had 68 carbs yesterday according to Fat Secret but they have been higher.

Anyway, I know it works. You’re all living proof of that. So, I’ll carry on. Ordinarily I’d be quite happy with 1.6 kg loss in one week, so I’ll run with that. I’m certainly not giving up, as I feel really well.

Krysia, sounds like you and 54 are both seeing eyesight improvements. Fantastic news for you both. I noticed on the BBC website the other day that Michael Mosley has been researching taking supplements to improve vision. Sounds like his own diet is doing a good job already.

• posted by Terez
    on

Hi. Could you please tell me which book to buy to do the 800 cal 8 week diet please? Thanks

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

The 8 week Blood Sugar Diet is the book. Available in kindle also.

Please log in or register to post a reply.