Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Abbado, great to hear from you, and so pleased you are still plodding on, 27.6kg is a fantastic loss and I am sure you will look fantastic as Mother of the Bride. Do hope the wedding goes well. But please don’t “crash and burn” afterwards and undo all your hard work and destroy the good habits built up over the past 10 months. Relax a bit if you feel like it, but do try to maintain (more or less) and then hit it again with a vengeance in January.

SueBlue, great that you have checked in with our January thread too. Obviously I knew you were still around because of the Remember Remember thread, so have been following your progress, but it’s nice if we can all update on our original thread now and again. Frankly, I think you have been a miracle worker to lose weight whilst on steroids, so all power to you. So keep on keeping on, and keep updating us please.

Now all we need is Cathy to update her fantastic news on this thread, as well as on the Remember challenge thread.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

CC how brilliant that you have reached 134 and got rid of all your bigger clothes. Theodora it’s lovely to hear that you are now wearing size 8, and you have also got rid of bigger clothes you bought during the BSD journey. Your safari wardrobe sounds very chic !

One of the biggest tasks for me has been the clothes issue. I have sold dozens of items in size 18 and 16 on eBay in order to keep funding the next size down. I was originally more like a size 20. I’m now wearing size 14 and in some styles I need a 12.

I was originally aiming for 130lbs but revised my goal a while ago to 140. I’m not sure if I will renew my efforts and aim for 130, but for now I will be happy to reach 140. The loss is steady, but very slow.

Sue Blue, it’s good to hear you are still here and making progress. I will still be around in January for sure ! I need to fit into my wedding dress in April. We are going to the Caribbean for our honeymoon so I want to look decent in a swimsuit by then !

I do think the BSD is a way of life, so I can’t see me going back to any other way of eating really. It seems to suit us all. I hear many stories of people regaining weight on slimming world etc. I myself have lost and regained weight several times in my life, but I really don’t ever want to do that again. Even if I remain just as I am now that would be preferable to the yo yo weight issues I have had in the past. I’ve been sorting boxes for the move and felt very embarrassed by some of the photos taken over the years when my size kept changing.

Best wishes to everyone

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Whoop ! I just went to the Remember Remember thread and saw your post Clarinetcathy! How fantastic well done you. I’m so pleased for you. Very well deserved.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello January friends

I am delighted to officially announce on the January thread that I have at last achieved my goal weight of 133 lb. I am so happy. I know some of the January starters have seen my post in a different thread. To be perfectly honest I can’t quite believe that after 10 months and one day I have lost 42 lbs which is a three stone loss. I am now at a BMI of 25 and I plan to lose 3lb more as a buffer prior to Christmas. It has taken me a long time and a lot of determination. Thank you so much to all my lovely friends for the support I’ve had from you all along the way.

Seasidenana- you’ve done so well on your BSD journey. I am thrilled for your new life and getting married and going to the Caribbean for your honeymoon. Who’d have thought all these wonderful things were possible when we set out on our journeys in January.

Abbado- great to know you’re still with the stalwarts on here and going great guns. I hope you enjoy the wedding and I am sure you will look fantastic.

Dreamscometrue- nice to see you back on here and I hope my post inspires you to achieve your dream.

Now that I have achieved my goal I would like to share a pearl of wisdom which I thought about today. It really doesn’t matter how long it takes to achieve our goal. I know that SueBlue like me is a slow loser but once you get to goal it doesn’t matter how long it took. Keep plodding everyone and keep that in mind. We are all different and lose at different rates. When I started BSD I read how effective this way of eating was and that we could all lose weight quickly but I made the mistake of comparing my loss to others and sometimes I was disappointed. Now I am so proud of myself that I kept plodding slowly.

I really hope that my slow and steady journey encourages those still plodding to keep on plodding and chipping away gradually so that you too can achieve your goal.

My favourite thread is the January starters thread because it was the first forum I ever joined and I was so excited to learn about BSD and I had no idea how successful it would be for me. Good luck to everyone still reading the thread. I will be hanging around the forum for support and to encourage and help wherever possible.

Cathy

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy you certainly proved the old adage “Slow and steady wins the race” is true 🙂
    I am happy to keep plodding along slowly. To be honest as I have (or rather had) a large amount of weight to lose I think I would have been worried I’d regain it if I lost it all too quickly. The way I look at it, the race is a marathon rather than a sprint!
    Seasidenana – how exciting that you have your wedding and honeymoon in the Caribbean to look forward to, so happy for you 🙂
    It is hard to believe that I’m now almost 10 months into my BSD journey – I think next week is Week 44. I’m aiming to try and lose 4-5kg by Christmas, this will put my BMI safely inside the Overweight bracket (from Obese), with a bit of wriggle room to cover the silly season! Then I plan to get straight back on to another 8 week round in January, probably the 2nd week. Then if all goes to plan I should be at my goal weight mid-year, although it could happen quicker if I am able to completely come off of Prednisone.
    Thank you Cathy, Theodora, Seasidenana, DCT, Abadoo and everyone else still on this thread. Reading your successes, as well as your trials and tribulations, really does help me stay on track. And then when I read about one of us achieving our goal it’s fantastic! Reading your post Cathy made my day as I know how hard you’ve worked towards reaching your goal 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Whoa, Seasidenana, how great to hear from you, and so good to know you are plodding on, despite all the exciting developments in your life. Moving house is so stressful – we have attempted to downsize on at least half a dozen occasions but, halfway through clearing out the family home have chickened out and decided we just cannot face it! I know the reason for your move is far more cheerful, but it must be stressful nevertheless, so good on you to keep plodding away at BSD and you will look absolutely gorgeous in both your wedding dress and your swim suit in the Caribbean. Go girl, you only live once, after all.

Cathy, yet again, I’ll bring on the dancing girls (or boys) to celebrate your wonderful achievement. Don’t be offended if I call you a tortoise – remember the story about the tortoise and the hare? I have a feeling that you, if anyone, will still be slim and lithe this time next year and, probably for years to come. So HUGE congratulations to you. And to SueBlue too, who is another shining example of keeping on keeping on.

So pleased that we have managed to revive our January thread and have a goodly compliment of keeper-onners reporting in. xx

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone and happy weekend! Great to see all the posts this week but haven’t been able to reply till now.

ClarinetCathy well done!! Am SO delighted for you reaching your goal 🙂 I know it’s been a bumpy journey at times and there have been times when you’ve been about to give up but well done for persevering and it’s great you made it!

Abbado your weight loss is phenomenal! Over 60 pounds is amazing – well done! Enjoy the wedding and do keep posting on here as you continue your journey. SueBlue keep on going too: it’s fantastic that you are now no longer pre-diabetic and have not only reversed your trend of putting on weight but are now steadily moving downwards despite your health issues. You’re doing really well and we all look forward to hearing about your ongoing progress!

Seasidenana congratulations again for all that’s happening in your life and good luck! You and I are at exactly the same stage now on BSD so hopefully we can travel the last 7 pounds together? We’re also so similar in that wine is my nemesis too :@ I’ve plateau’d for a few weeks now – probably because of that! – but would like to move on and shift at least some of my remaining excess pounds this side of Christmas. Will let you know how it goes. Doesn’t help that I injured two of my toes a couple of nights ago – one possibly broken – so I guess my new found jogging habit will be kiboshed for at least the next couple of weeks 🙁

Theodora thanks for your ongoing encouragement on the thread and hope all is well with you.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Dreamscometrue thanks for your encouragement it’s great news that we only have 7lbs to go ! I’m starting a renewed effort and that means no wine until Xmas ! I will report in to let you know how it goes !

• posted by Theodora
    on

How lovely to see you all logging in here again. Really great to have “our thread” reactivated and to hear how you are all doing – which, by the sound of it, is great so well done to everyone. I am convinced that the support and encouragement we give and receive on this forum is the absolute keystone to our success – so please keep on keeping on, and please keep on logging in to update us all.

Big pat on the back to you all.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just checking in with my January buddies 🙂
    I can’t believe that it is now December, and in a months time it will be a whole year since we started our BSD journeys!
    Every year I make NY resolutions and they are ALWAYS the same. Number 1 on the list is “Lose weight” or “lose 10kg” and for the first time in many years I can tick this one off!
    When I started in January I thought I’d maybe last a few weeks, and 8 week BSD would be a good kick-start for weight loss. Never in a million years would I have imagined that it would become a whole lifestyle change for me.
    I am nowhere near the goal I set at the beginning of the year, but that’s ok. So many other years I’ve lost weight initially then put it all back on again by years end. This time around I’m steadily losing. Slowly yes, but steadly! I’m now at my lowest weight in 7 years, and even when I was this weight 7 years ago that was because I had dieted and exercised consistently that year. So before that I think it would have been 2006 when I was last the weight I am now. With 12.5kg (27lb) now gone since this time last year, I’m about half way to the weight I want to get to.
    Anyway enough of my reflections! Hope everyone else is doing well as we head into the silly season!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Sue, good to hear from you, and well done on sticking (mostly) to plan for 11 months and counting…….slow and steady is the name of the game. It’s working for you and that’s what counts! Will you have to think of a different new year resolution, or will it be to just keep on keeping on?

I think a year pretty much sets a habit, and the January starters who are still around will probably have formed the BSD habit for life. At least I hope so. We’re probably like sticks of rock now and, if we were cut in half, you’d be able to see the letters BSD running all the way through us😜

I’m still jogging along nicely in maintenance (7 months), 50lbs gone and holding within a pound or two either way, which gives me half a stone wriggle room. I do allow myself the odd refined carb, but only very occasionally – out for supper last evening and I had a side portion of chips (with pan fried hake) and, whilst I enjoyed them, no way could I eat them all – and it was far from a big portion, so really feel this will be my WOE for life now.

Like you, Sue, I can’t believe that as soon as we get through the silly season we’ll all be celebrating our BSD birthday 😃 Though obviously not with cake😉

Hope our other January buddies are doing okay too?

on

Hey Sue

January 8th 2017 was the start of my BSD journey and it’s hard to believe how quickly the year has passed. Who’d have thought we could have been so successful with this way of eating. The night I heard of BSD was 7.1 17 and I was at book club and one the girls told me her mum had lost two stone in 8 weeks! I downloaded the book on my kindle and the rest is history.

My New Year Resolution too for the last 10 years has been “lose weight”! Next year my resolution will be to continue to eat healthily. I will never go back to where I was. It took me a long time to lose 44 lb and I can’t ever put myself through that again.

Sue, I am going to enjoy seeing you get to goal hopefully next year. It has been a life changing year for us and we couldn’t have done it without the support of each other. I always pop in and out of the forum threads to see how everyone is doing but the January starters thread always makes me happiest. We have been through thick and thin together.

Even if we do put on a few pounds over the Christmas period we all have the tools to deal with it swiftly and we know that this way of eating works. normally at this time of the year I would have eaten about a dozen mince pies by now and lots of chocolates. The patients at work always buy boxes of chocolates at Christmas time. I haven’t even eaten a satsuma this year so far!

Looking forward to hearing how the January starters who are still around are doing. I keep in touch with Theodora on other threads and also see you on the other threads too Sue. I will be around the forum for a long time to come. It’s my lifeline!

Will look forward to our first anniversary.

Thanks for thinking of us and posting Sue. Xx

• posted by Abbado
    on

Hi Girls,

Well the wedding of child no: 1 was last weekend and went off beautifully. I got sooooo many compliments on how well I looked it got to be embarrassing! Thoroughly enjoyed myself and the food was sensational. Very pleased to say in the stressful lead up to the wedding and this past week, I have not put on any of my weight loss. Certainly have not lost any but maintaining through this time is such a bonus. Looking forward to the silly season and knuckling down for January 2018. In my line of work, gifts arrive regularly attempting to turn me into a diabetic alcoholic but with my new attitude, re-gifting is on the cards. I’m thinking another 10-15 kg will do me nicely. ?Watch this space! cheers and ho ho ho.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Merry Christmas to all January starters, it’s great to see your posts and hear how well you are all doing. I’m afraid I still have 7 lbs to lose, I didn’t manage the November challenge because of the stress involved in our house move. I never cheat on my BSD food, but we have been drinking wine. I really have to get this last 7 lbs off ! We move house in Thursday finally after lots of false starts. I have been poorly as well which hasn’t helped. First a bad cold then an ear infection.

I do hope we all continue to check in as our anniversaries approach. Mine was 21st January. Who would have thought the year would end with me in a new house with my husband to be ! And three dress sizes smaller !

on

Hello everyone! Lovely to hear all your news. Glad the wedding went well Abbado and good luck with your move on Thursday Seasidenana! SueBlue and ClarinetCathy your previous resolutions sound just like mine: only this year we’ve only all gone and done it:) In fact one of the reasons I chose the name Dreamscometrue was because I’d been wanting to lose weight for so long but never managed to achieve it – and to be honest didn’t really think I ever would. So choosing an optimistic name could have been either brave or foolish but thankfully the dreams actually have come true this time 🙂

I’m doing well and am excited to report that after a long hiatus, my weight is moving downwards once more! Since the summer I have been in maintenance mode, weight hovering between 10 stone 2/10 stone 4, and I just felt for a while that I needed a bit of a break. I was still eating predominantly BSD-friendly food and smaller portions than before, but had slipped back in the habit of drinking wine every night and wolfing chocolate more often than is good for me. But I was really pleased not to put weight back on – I started the BSD at 12 stone 2 – but it just wasn’t coming off. Anyway a couple of weeks ago it just kind of felt like the right time to push forward a bit more and now I’m in that place again where I can feel and see further changes in my body. I’ve been constantly at 10 stone for the past week or so and am occasionally now dipping below it (finally!). I always find that when I drop weight it takes a few goes to settle at the new weight, but do hope to be down at least a couple more pounds before Christmas. And would love to be at target (9 stone 7) but my BSD anniversary on January 4th but as we all know it’s never possible to predict how weight loss will go! Will report back in due course …

Best wishes everyone and do keep in touch X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Lovely to hear everyone’s news 🙂
    Seasidenana sorry to hear you have been unwell, I hope you feel better soon and that your move goes well.
    Abbado – glad the wedding went sell, how lovely for you to receive so many compliments 🙂
    Cathy – I used to love all of the Christmas ‘treats’ and would normally have eaten copious quantities of mince pies by now! Instead this year I’m waiting till Christmas Eve, and even then I’ll be selective about what I eat (and drink!)
    DCT – I find the same thing happens to me with weight loss. I’ll get to a “new low” then my weight goes up again and it can take a few weeks (or even months) until my weight stays at the new lower weight.
    Theodora – my New Years resolutions will still include losing weight, but it will be amended to “keep on keeping on with BSD to lose more weight” or something like that!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Great to hear everyone’s updates.

Really pleased to hear that the wedding went well Abbado. Sounds as though you looked pretty amazing – hope you didn’t eclipse the bride?!😉

Cathy, you are so right, in that we now have the tools and know how to use them to immediately reverse any damage caused by the festive season.

Seasidenana, sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, and hope you’re on the mend now. You’ll certainly need all your energy for the big move on Thursday. What an exciting year you’ve had, as you say, who’d have believed what a difference a year can make? Hope it all goes well this week and that you and Seasidegrandpa will have a lifetime of happiness together in your new home.

DCT, what a portentous name you chose 😃 As you say, dreams really do come true with this WOE – just look at seasidenana 😉 Pleased to hear the scales are on a downward trajectory again. Keep going and I’m sure you’ll achieve your anniversary target.

Sue, you’re an old hand at this now, so I know that your new year resolution for 2018 is one you’ll surely keep.

Our anniversaries seem to be scattered throughout January – mine’s the 16th – but you know what, we are all victors for still being here, still reporting in, and still keeping on keeping on. Congratulations to us all xx

on

Merry Christmas to all my January friends. Hope you all have a very happy and peaceful Christmas. I am off to see my son in Washington for Christmas and will be back on the forum in the New Year. I have managed to maintain my weight loss but am anticipating a gain over Christmas and I will be deal with that on my return! Enjoy Christmas and see you in 2018 for continued friendship and support. Merry Christmas 🎄

Cathy x

on

Hi ClarinetCathy! Have a wonderful time in Washington over Christmas and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year. Hopefully you won’t put on too much weight over Christmas – I think we’re all finding we eat smaller portions now anyway and don’t “stuff ourselves” any more – but you have the tools to deal with it if it does happen. So have a great time with your family. When did you last see them? If it’s not for a while they’ll really see the change in you!

I’m doing well; am on a bit of and end of year roll at the moment. Scales now stable at 9 stone 12 and beginning to hint downwards. I’m so pleased as I have been on a plateau for longer than I can remember. So I especially don’t want to let it all go over Christmas and am determined yes to enjoy myself heaps but to eat, drink and be merry in a BSD-friendly way 😉 I do hope to be at my long-awaited target of 9 stone 7 by my anniversary in January!

But having said that, doing some measurements and BMI calculations – and still being able to pinch rather more than an inch of flab on my belly! – I do wonder if I need to go down a bit further than my original target. To be honest my target was just kind of plucked out of the air as a nice round number to aim for. But I had in mind that when I got there I would be a certain shape – that’s not quite happening yet. I have lost weight all round, including from my belly, but that is where the excess still remains and I’m not now convinced that another 5 pounds is going to shift all of it. Nor do I want to be one of these people who is constantly obsessing about weight and keeps moving the goalposts, but reading more about healthy BMI and waist measurements I think I may need to go a little further than originally planned. Anyway hopefully I’ll get to my original target first and cross the next bridge if and when I come to it!

Hope everyone else is well and happy and that you all have some nice plans for the festive season? Look forward to reading your posts as and when you can. Love to you all X

• posted by Theodora
    on

Have a great time in USA, Cathy – your son won’t recognise you! He will be thrilled with his “new, healthy” mum.

DCT, well done for hanging in there and now the scales are rewarding you. I know what you mean about moving the goalposts, as I did that a couple of times. First wanted to lose 2st, when I got there, I carried on and lost 3st and once I hit maintenance I lost even more unintentionally whilst gradually racking up my calories until I stabilised. But it’s given me more than half a stone of wriggle room, so not worried about Christmas, although will stick with no refined carbs.

Merry Christmas to all our January buddies – can’t believe that in just a few short weeks, we’ll all be wishing each other happy 1st BSD anniversary.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Merry Christmas all January starters. As our anniversaries come round, what a year we have had ! Here am I now living with seaside grandad in our new home. We moved house a week ago and it was hard work, but I’m so much fitter. I don’t think I could have managed nearly so well at 3 stone heavier. I have eaten non BSD food occasionally during the first week surrounded by boxes because we have had to buy takeaways. On the whole though I’ve stuck to the low carb way of eating.

It’s also been lovely to unpack my nice size 12 clothes and hang them up. I used to have a selection of sizes, but the big ones are all sold or given away long before the move. My new wardrobe just holds what fits and I’m certainly not planning on filling our new house with anything bigger !

DCT – brillliant news that you have dropped below 10 stone ! I’ve been on a plateau for ages too, but finally the scales have been kind and I’ve lost 2 lbs. I think moving house has helped ! Non stop exercise for a week ! I’m going to a wedding on Saturday and I’m hoping my dress I wore for the races in August will be looser on me than it was then.

Sue Blue, thanks for your observation about how weight takes time to stabilise at a new low. It certainly seems to be the case with BSD, but the good news is that it seems to stay off !

Cathy I do hope you have a fabulous time in the USA. Your family will be impressed by your new shape !

Theodora, so lovely that you still keep us up to date with your maintenance, half a stone of wriggle Room sounds good, it’s what I’m aiming for when I finally get to my goal.

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Aww Seaside grandad! I love it Seaside nana, so happy for you and glad your move went well. You certainly have a lot to celebrate this Christmas 🙂
    Cathy – have a wonderful time with your son in Washington! It must be so much nicer for you going over there at your new weight. I’m sure you would have a good time either way but it’s lovely when you feel comfortable with your body and can fit into clothes, not having to struggle to find something to wear that you look good in etc.

DCT – sounds like you are going well, well done and good luck for reaching your goal in January.

Theodora – Its great that you have some
    wriggle room for Christmas 🙂 I wish I could say the same! I’ve been struggling a bit for the past few weeks, but luckily haven’t put on weight, have just been maintaining really.

I’m planning on just steadying the course for these last few weeks of the year. I’m going to enjoy myself on Christmas & Boxing Day and eat what I want to (and drink!). But on all of the other days where I don’t have any social occasions then I’m going to stick to BSD principles. Usually by now I would be tucking into the mince pies, but I’m holding out till Christmas Eve this year, and then only having one 🙂
    It was looking at a photo taken last Christmas Day that inspired me to start BSD. Although I haven’t got to goal yet I’m still thankful I did start and that I have lost 12.5kg now.
    I was looking at numbers this week, and healthy BMI, and I’ve decided I’d like to lose another 18kg. So that’s my goal for next year ‘Lose 18kg in 2018’. I now have the tools to do this, and should be off Prednisone (steroids) by February which will make it easier.
    Hope everyone on this thread has a lovely Christmas and New Year, 🎄🎅🎉
    I can’t believe it will be our 1 year anniversaries soon! I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d still be posting here almost a year later 🙂

on

Hello January 2017 starters , I hope you’ve all had a Happy Christmas. – I am back on the grid after my sojourn to Washington DC to see my son for Christmas. I have been consciously off plan for the last week or so and have enjoyed the Christmas festivities with him. When he met us at the airport he said “wow mum, you’re tiny”! He has not seen me since earlier this year. I have not dared to go on the scales since my return and am going to gently ease myself back to the BSD way of eating. I do really want to see what the damage is but I feel if i leave things until 2nd January when I restart in earnest it will give me chance to shed a few of the pounds I have put on. Clothes feel ok but I do not feel as healthy as I usually do. An overnight flight hasn’t helped either! I reckon I won’t be able to keep off the scales but then I know if I do jump on, I will be sad when I see my increased weight- I know that I have the tools to deal with it so really it’s arbitrary. Back to basics for me now and aiming to get to 130lbs over the next few weeks.

Just want to wish everyone well for the start of 2018 for the continuation of our journey together. Almost our first BSD anniversary. Mine is on 8th January so ideally I would like to be at 133lb by then! Hope it’s not too difficult going back to basics after my BSD holiday!

Cathy

• posted by Theodora
    on

Cathy, really pleased to hear you had a great time in Washington and that your son was suitably impressed.

We have had a busy and over indulgent Christmas and, whilst I have stayed off all refined carbs (cooked them for everyone else, but they held no appeal for me) I ate and drank anything and everything I fancied. The result? A 2lb gain – which will melt away with one day of careful eating, I’m sure. So atm I am heading into the new year with 6lbs wriggle room. Result, I think, and goes to show how this WOE has become a total WOL.

Really hoping all our January buddies have also weathered the festive season?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy – so glad to hear that your trip to Washington went well 🙂
    Theodora – I over indulged too, mainly on cocktails rather than food though! I’ve gained 0.5kg which I’m fine with as I’m restarting on 2 Jan, I know that it will come off within the first week. I had planned to be totally “off plan” for the week between Christmas and new year but off plan foods meant a return of joint pain and IBS so I’ve revised it and now sticking to BSD principles (mainly), just not counting calories. I felt like a break after 50 weeks of BSD but in doing so have realised once again how much better I feel when “on plan”, rather than off!
    I can’t remember if I posted it in this thread before or not, but my goal/resolution for next year is to lose 18kg. “Lose 18 in 2018” has a nice ring to it 🙂
    Last December I resolved to lose 10-15kg, and my actual loss is 12.5kg so I achieved that (for once!).
    When I’ve lost another 18kg I’ll have a BMI of 24. At the moment it’s 30.4 so I’m almost down to Overweight (from obese), just need to then get down into the healthy range. At 1.5kg loss per month I think it will be achievable, especially as I’m almost off of Prednisone – about another month of tapering down and I should be good.
    It would be great if I could lose 2.5kg between now and 16 Jan as that would mean I’ve reached an overweight bmi in time for my BSD 1 year anniversary 🙂
    Happy New Year to all of my January buddies! How exciting that we are all seeing 2018 in so much healthier, happier and lighter! 🎉🎉🎉

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hello everyone, great to hear from you all. What an amazing year we have all had.

Cathy it must have been lovely to spend time with your son, it sounds like he is very impressed with your new look.
    I have been off plan too, and gained 2 lbs. I really need to get back on track now. My dad made a dvd of the year which was so embarrassing to watch as the beginning shows me at my heavier weight. I certainly never intend to go back there !

I’m aiming to get below target like you Theodora so I have some wriggle room. I also have a wedding dress to fit into by April !

Sueblue I’m sure you will get there, it’s a slow and steady journey. I’m not there yet either, but will keep plodding on.

We are settling into our new house, although we have lots left to do we have taken some days off to enjoy Christmas.

A happy and healthy BSD 2018 to everyone.

on

Hello everyone and Happy New Year – well nearly! Lovely to hear all your news. This is just a brief reply as I’m away with family so time and Internet access both limited! But I’m doing well – was down to 136lb last week but a couple of pounds have snuck back on over Christmas. But like most of you I’m planning another onslaught as from 2nd Jan. I really want to power through to my original target of 133lb as soon as possible – and then get to my new target of 130lb. Like Cathy and Theodora it just allows a bit of wriggle room – and would also be a nice clean 40lb loss since I started BSD last Jan.

Well done everyone and looking forward to hearing more tremendous achievements as we head into 2018! X

on

Well today is exactly one year since I started BSD. I am still following the low carb way of eating and have been at goal weight since October. My BMI is currently 25 so there is scope to lose a little more but I am happy at my current weight. I might try to get another 3lb off as a buffer. My BMI when I started was 32. In total I lost 42 lb last year and am determined to keep it off. My son gets married in the summer so I want to stay slim for the wedding. I’ve got rid of all my big clothes and am wearing size 10 work trousers! (Unbelievable). This time last year I was wearing size 18.

I know there are a few people still plodding towards their goals on this thread and although I don’t post as frequently nowadays, I am keeping my beady eye on the forum daily and watching your progress and wishing you well.

Thank you to everyone who supported me on my journey last year.

This is the best way of eating to lose weight and to keep hunger at bay!

Best wishes to everybody still in on their journey and those of us who are at goal and staying healthy! There are many of you also who must have an anniversary round the corner on this thread. Happy 1st anniversary to us all.

Cathy

on

Hi Cathy

Good to hear from you and glad all is going well. What a great year it’s been for you! And how lovely to look forward to the wedding knowing you’ll be slim and happy.

I’ve just had my 1 year anniversary too. This time last year I was 12 stone 2lb (170lb), size 16 and BMI 28.3. I set myself a target of 9 stone 7lb (133lb) and am nearly there: now 9 stone 10lb (136lb) and BMI 22.7. I have taken things steady and alternated periods of strictness with periods of not-so-much; more maintenance than diet. But I’m nearly where I want to be: in fact have set myself a new target of 130lb and hope to get there in the next couple of months or so. I’m in no rush but am equally determined never to go back above 10 stone again!

Remember those size 10 jeans I bought for the Marillion gig in October? Well they fit me now 🙂 A bit skimpy to be sure – it would be nice to be able to breathe 😉 But I can get them on, fasten them up and move around freely in them – all of which is real progress since October!

It’s great to be able to get into nice clothes again (and oh how I regret some of the things I’ve got rid of over the years!). I was thrilled to buy a lovely Anthropologie top recently in the sales – a size Small! Yay! This time last year I literally had only a couple of things that fit me. I’ve always been quite small until recent years but the weight had really piled on and there were so few of my clothes I could fit into comfortably that it was really getting me down.

Anyway well done everyone on this thread and do please keep in touch with how you are doing. SueBlue good luck with your “Lose 18 for 2018”, and Seasidenana you will look amazing in your wedding dress! Theodora I trust maintenance is still going well and that Abbado you’re managing to get back on the wagon after all your recent celebrations?

Hope that 2018 is a brilliant year for you all X

• posted by Theodora
    on

Happy 1st BSD birthday Cathy, and well done on hanging in there, reaching your goal weight and, just as importantly, maintaining since October. Dropping from size 18 to a size 10 is fantastic.

I’m sure your son will be so proud of you at his wedding in the summer, what a lovely thing to look forward to. You will have such fun going out to choose a lovely outfit for the occasion, instead of just something that “fits” – you’ll be spoilt for choice but whatever you do end up choosing, you will look amazing.

Please keep checking in to let us know how it’s going, you’re a very valued member of our little community.

Happy BSD birthday to you too, DCT, and almost at target too. Now that’s something to celebrate!

Everyone still on this thread either has just, or is about to celebrate one year of BSD so I’m really looking forward to reading lots more updates. My anniversary is this time next week, so will report in then with my news.

In the meantime I think we all deserve a huge pat on the back just for still being here one whole year on. 😉😊😜

• posted by Theodora
    on

This week it’s my turn to celebrate my first BSD anniversary, and what a terrific find both this WOE and this Forum have been.

I began on 16th January weighing 11st 7lbs, hoping to lose about 1.5st and, in my wildest dreams, 2st but never actually believed that was possible. Yet by the end of 16 weeks I had lost a phenomenal 3st!!!! I entered maintenance in early May and yet went on to lose another half stone whilst increasing calories slowly, but keeping carbs low. I can now easily fit into my wedding dress – and I got married in the late 60s!!

So here I am one year later, weighing just 8st, with a BMI of about 20, and body fat of just 22″% I did in fact, at one point, when we were undergoing rather a lot of stress, drop as low as 7st 7lbs but happily I soon regained those 7lbs, and have held steady ever since. My method of maintenance has been to stay low carb, but I no longer count calories. Monday – Thursday I am “careful” of what I eat, but I relax Friday – Sunday, and even allow myself s few glasses of wine on each of those days, as we have quite a sociable lifestyle, and eat out 2 – 3 times a week, but I always stay low carb. I can’t remember when I last felt this good – healthy, energetic and full of vitality. Thank you MM and Prof Taylor.

I have disposed of every single item of large baggy clothing I possessed, and my wardrobe is now bursting at the seams with wonderful size UK8s, and I have become far more adventurous in my choice of clothing (see the Phoenix thread) – now it’s a pleasure to shop!

Not only have I lost more weight than I ever dreamed possible and settled happily into maintenance, I feel as though I have made so many new friends around the globe. So thank you to everyone, for your support and friendship. Long live BSD.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Happy anniversary, Theo! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you accomplished something grand with the BSD and with maintenance. It thrills and inspires me to see how far you’ve come, how generously you support other BSDers and perhaps most of all, the flowering of your wardrobe.

May your second BSD year be as exceptional as your first. 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Awww, bless you Essie. Thank you for such a lovely response, all the more treasured because not only do I count you as my valued BSD friend, not to mention fashion mentor, you are most definitely one of my BSD heroes. 😊

on

Happy BSD anniversary Theodora! What an inspiration you have been to me and many BSDers! You really do shine on here and I love your vitality and enthusiasm. What a great ambassador you are for this way of eating. Well done on your fantastic weight loss and thank you for your positivity throughout our journey together. Like you I am at goal and maintaining. I didn’t lose as quickly as you did and still struggle to stay at goal weight and my aim is to try to get under (can’t seem to manage it) to give me the wiggle room that you managed to achieve. Congratulations Theodora and thank you for the help and support. Here’s to another year ahead! Who’d have thought this time last year what we would achieve!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Who indeed, Cathy?!! But here we are, a whole year later, a whole lot lighter and, without doubt, a whole lot healthier. 😊

Thank you for your lovely comments and here’s to our next year – in maintenance obviously. 😀

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Theodora can I add my thanks and good wishes. You are amazing and it’s reading yours and the others stories that keeps me going.

Thank you.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Happy Anniversary Theo! You are a gentle warm and guiding presence on this thread. I hope you are basking in the warmth directed to you by so many on this forum.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Happy Anniversary Theodora! I hope to one day achieve what you have.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Aww, thanks guys. Feeling a little tearful now – in a good way of course. Thank you 😊

• posted by lyn.g
    on

hey guys, long time no read but great to hear so many positive thoughts!
    I’m starting again, my husband and one of my three sons really need to lose a bit more so we are going around again and even though I really don’t think I would like to lose any more than maybe 7kg at the very most, I’m going in guns blazing to help with the enthusiasm and support that is needed for them to reach their goals. In a year they haven’t put on what they lost, but they have a bit further to go and so we are all ready to get back into a healthier frame of mind after the Christmas indulgences.
    I have the first of my daughters getting married in October and it is approaching fast and we are going to be the model family in our photos!!!
    My four daughters have been very impressed by our previous weight losses and have each embarked on their own versions of the diet, with some success and I think they are starting to want to take it more seriously. People at work have taken it up as well though not as committed in some cases and and in a less healthy way in another case. Anyhow, everyone has their own journey as we well know from the forum.
    Keep posting guys you are inspirational and I will try to be more consistent too.
    So here I am starting again in January 2018 here in Perth 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Belated happy anniversary Theodora 🙂 we share the same starting date. I remember I bought the book on Sat 14, read it cover to cover by the Sunday then started that lunchtime, but my first proper day on BSD was 16 Jan, so I use that as my start date 🙂
    I haven’t been as successful as some of you on this thread, but I am about 40% of the way there according to my calculations, so almost half way 🙂
    Just before Christmas I had lost 12.5kg, or almost 28lb, but I’ve gained a few pounds since then so need to get back on track!
    The good thing is that I feel I have the tools to succeed with my “Lose 18kg in 2018” goal which I’ve set myself, and that is thanks not just to this WOE but the amazing support and friendship that I’ve found on this forum. There are times I could have given up, but reading your stories kept me going.
    So well done to all of us still here in January 2018, who would have thought it a year ago!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Happy anniversary to you too Sue. Great that you’re still with us and still keeping on keeping on. We all have our own lives to live and paths to tread so BSD works differently for everyone. But it DOES work, as we all know so good luck with your goal to lose 18 in 18.

• posted by Abbado
    on

Hello All and Happy New Year.

Well Australia day was my kick off last year and will be again this year.
    I managed to get through Christmas with only a 1.5kg increase ( incredible when I think of what I ate!) and I am now aiming to go in hard from Jan 26th to shake off another 13kg. That will bring me to a loss of 40kg (88lb ish) I hope I can achieve this goal and maintain it. It would be 40 years since I was that weight. Down side is saggy skin in places and off to the beach this weekend. Oh dear! cheers to all.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hello everyone I would like to add my voice to all the thanks others have given to you Theodora, you have helped so much with your inspiration and advice. Thank you to all the January 2017 starters as well as we have made this journey together and celebrated our success.

I started on 21 January because it’s my birthday on 19 January and I had a night out to celebrate first. I did 8 weeks on no alcohol and 800 calories, low carb. After that I did low carb and under 1200 calories for several months. After that I met my husband to be, so the weight loss slowed down due to drinking lots of wine on dates! Since my start date I lost a total of 43 lbs. in the last couple of months my weight has been stable, which bodes well for future maintenance, but I’m still 7 lbs from goal. I have been gaining and losing the same 1lb for weeks !

Today I’m starting another round of 8 weeks 800 calorie low carb and no alcohol. I need to detox, and I need to finally make my goal in time for the wedding. Yesterday I tried on my wedding dress, made by my lovely friend I’ve known since I was 15. She cried when she saw me in it ! The dress is quite unique and also top secret!

(Husband to be was banished to the pub while we did the fitting). The dress looks lovely, but will be lovelier still with 7 lbs off !

My lovely fiancé is going to join me on the no alcohol front, and he quite often joins me with low carb menus as
    well. Hopefully we will be “beach ready” by the time we go on honeymoon. The wedding is 21 April. We fly to St
    Lucia a week later.

Best of luck to everyone on this WOE for 2018. Let’s hope we all finally reach our goals, and those already there keep going. It’s been so inspiring to make this journey with you all.

on

Seasidenana
    Happy Birthday/Happy anniversary

Your post made me feel so happy and actually brought a tear to my eye. I can tell how happy you are and I am so thrilled for you. How fantastic to be starting a new life with your lovely new fiancé and being slim and so happy. You will easily get the last 7lb off for your wedding and honeymoon! Congratulations to you! I can remember quite distinctly our early posts to each other and wow we’ve come a long way. I am maintaining well and am going to lose 3lb in February so I’ve got a bit of extra slack for high days and holidays! My son gets married in June so that will be a massive celebration!

please keep posting with your news both BSD and wedding. What a fantastic thread this has been for us all.

This thread made such a difference to my weight loss and I am so happy to have shared my journey with such lovely, supportive friends.

Keep plodding everyone who is still working hard – this will be the year you achieve your goal!

Cathy

on

Abbado

Only just read your post- had internet connection problems. You sound so positive for your new start on 26th January and I know that you will be able to achieve your goal with such a positive attitude. You’ve done so well on your journey and you will easily get that 13 kg off by chipping away. This way of eating works! I will enjoy following your journey on this thread and will be right behind you cheering you and any others still here working hard to achieve their dream. 2018 is going To be your year!

Cathy

on

SueBlue

Lose 18 in 2018 is so doable and I know you will do it! There is no way you’re giving up with the support of this thread behind you. There are still a few on here who are going to achieve their goal this year and I am going to support every single one of you. To me, you’re all friends and we are on this journey together. I am at the finish line but I am waiting for you and will help you over the finish line and then we can all stand on the podium together and get our gold medals!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Bless you Cathy, what lovely words 🙂
    The friendship and support on here has been amazing, and it’s lovely to think that although you are at the finish line Cathy you’re still supporting those of us who aren’t quite there yet!

• posted by Theodora
    on

How lovely to see our thread so active again, and to hear how everyone is doing. You all have such resolve I just know that those who have not yet reached targets will be doing so very soon – this has become a WOL for us now, when on earth did any of us actually stick to a diet for a whole year before?

Abbado, great to hear you sounding so enthusiastic about your continuing weight loss journey, you have done so well, so I know you will shed those last few kg in the next few months. Please keep us posted.

Seasidenana, firstly, Happy 1st BSD Anniversary to you for tomorrow. What an exciting time for you – I bet when you started out last year it never entered your head what a life-changer BSD would prove to be for you! Those last few pounds will definitely disappear before your wedding day, all brides tend to lose weight before their wedding. How very special to have had your dress made by an old friend, I know you will look just stunning, both on the Big Day, and afterwards in St Lucia.

I agree, I’m not sure any of us would have stayed the course without the unswerving friendship and support we have found on this thread. So thank you to everyone, let’s keep it going with regular updates and support – trust me, maintenance is not easy, (though it is very doable) and I think that even those of us who have reached out goals, still need and value the support and encouragement of our BSD family.

• posted by Prediabeticly
    on

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am pre diabetic on medication for high blood pressure and my husband is type 2. We have also started the 8 week bsd since Jan 1st, after reading the book and then clearing the larder of flours, pasta, rice and sugars.
    I wonder if anyone finds difficulties with portion size?

We are now at the end of week 3. My husband is picky refusing to touch capsicums. At least today he was willing to have smoked salmon for breakfast. What we found is that our waistline has been decreasing and weight too but not in huge swoops. Approximately 1-2 kg per wk. So it really is worth it.

Oddly this 3rd week is puzzling as our waist measurements went up 1-2cm despite continued weight loss! Also my blood pressure has dropped to the point I discontinued medication. Felt severely fatigued and dizzy. But am monitoring it am and pm. Has anyone the same experience?

Please log in or register to post a reply.