Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi Abbado, Further up this thread I posted a link to a recipe with mini pappadums. They are crunchy and satisfy my toast urges but don’t have too many! Welcome aboard and good luck. I am almost 2 weeks in and have lost almost 5kgs. At Uni today and that is HARD. So many temptations!

• posted by Abbado
    on

Thanks for the hint Chrissie63, Looks like a good option. cheers

• posted by Ebs
    on

The recipe book arrived today, so looking forward to making a few different evening meals and porridge for breakfast which will make a change from eggs. Looks like a really good book with lots of delicious recipes to try.

• posted by toby101
    on

May I recommend Kale crisps for savoury crunch? break kale into crisp size pieces (discarding thicker stems) dress with a small amount of oil and whatever other flavouring you fancy, salt and put in the oven on baking parchment on a tray for at 100C for one hour (turning half way through) lovely. Have to be careful about quantity of oil though! Genuinely almost as nice as crisps (I was a crisp addict!)

3wk 5 days. 94.6kg down 8.4kg

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks for the tip about kale crisps, Toby, they sound great, when I next buy kale, I will give them a go. Do they keep and stay crisp for a day or two, or do they need to be eaten straight away? Do you think they would work with other leafy veg? Maybe I need to experiment ๐Ÿ™‚

I do make parmesan crisp sometimes, and they are very tasty and really easy – just finely grated parmesan, sprinkle into little piles on a baking lined baking sheet (or use a small former or pastry cutter if you prefer neater edges, just fill, then move on to the next one – but don’t press the parmesan down), and bake for a few minutes – about 190C – 200C. Watch them though as once they have melted and bubbled they turn brown very quickly. Yummy:-) I’ve never tried keeping them though, because they are so good, they tend to disappear instantly in this house, but I think they would be fine for a day or two if kept in an airtight container.

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

TOBY101 Thanks! i had totally forgotten about Kale crisps, and I love them, yay, happy little BSD’er this weekend!

• posted by Anniflower
    on

Hi

Doing well, good blood sugars so reducing my basal insulin. Eurggh, not enough reduction-hypo this afternoon, first for months. Feel rather wrung out, and had to eat sugary stuff!

Back on track for this evening’s meal, and will reduce insulin this evening and tomorrow.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hi Anniflower, I too have been having hypos 3.2 and 3.7 and today 3.6. My husband got in a panic and was force feeding me Cadburys Roses even though I felt fine, just needed to get my numbers up. I reduced my insulin by 1 unit but it only increased my morning reading, whereas it is my evening BG that are too low. Are you on any other meds. I take Glycizide which is notorious for causing hypos, so I have reduced in the past and tomorrow will reduce again. Insulin on its own does not make a great difference. If you are thinking 1 unit is not much, I have reduced from 38 units to 22 during the last 5 months.

• posted by Anniflower
    on

Hello sunshine-girl.

I was fasting 4.0 this morning, berries and yoghurt for breakfast, scrammbled egg for lunch. After lunch felt very odd, BS 3.4!. I have reduced insulin by two units morning and evening. 18/50. I only take one Gliclazide in the evening. Good news about your reductions over time, hope I do as well

Back to the BSD now, salmon and roast broccoli for dinner!

Cheers

Anniflower

• posted by JuliaB
    on

Easy, too, to make Parmesan crisps in the microwave

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Im back on track all thanks to this forum. So encouraging thanks for sharing everyone. Have added 16:8 fasting in and its really helped me to stay on track will update weight results on sunday. Hopefully will see first loss after two weeks of no losses

• posted by Ginstar
    on

Help! I’ve hit a wall!
    I’ve been on the diet for two weeks and three days. Calories have generally been between 800-900 a day. I’ve been going really well energy wise. Exercising pretty much most days with a 40 mins fast paced walk and an hour of yoga. I’ve lost a co siderable amount of weight in that time- though I’m using body measurements, not scales.
    Problem is that I’ve hit a wall with my energy levels three days ago. Usually once I start my walk, my energy kicks in and I feel like I move mountains. But last few days, all it does is show me I have very little energy and I’m really struggling to do any sort of exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening?

• posted by cmawp
    on

You could be experiencing a lack of salt. Do you have any other symptoms?

Headache, floating spots in your vision and cramping are some I’ve experienced when lacking in salt.

If you’ve been doing this for just over 2 weeks, your body has probably got well and truly into ketosis mode which can mean your salt levels deplete quicker than they used to with the increase in drinking water you’re taking on.

If this is the case, a handful of salted nuts washed down with water is all you’ll need. Before your next walk or exercise session, give it a try to see if you have a bit more zip about you. If it works, all you need to do is have a bag of ready salted nuts in your gym bag for times when you’re short on salt during activity.

Going forward, add a little more salt to your meals and you’ll probably find you don’t need the nuts.

• posted by Ginstar
    on

Thank you! I’ve had no other symptoms, but the reduced salt levels could be the trick. I had the light headness in the first week, but that cleared. I have had a sprinkling of salt with my egg at breakfast but I’m thinking it might not be enough. I’ll up the salt and see if it lifts. Thanks so much!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Hi JuliaB how do you make the parmesan crisps in the microwave, its been hot in Perth over the past few days and I dont want to turn the oven on as it makes the house too hot?

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello everyone and happy weekend! Love reading everyone’s news – the successes are really motivating and it’s good that we can post our frustrations too and keep each other going. Well done Michaeljohn for a spectacular start and mumofcrazynamedkids for passing the first stone milestone!

I’ve been on it just over 3 weeks now and have lost 8lb, most of that in the first 10 days then plateauing a bit since then. Though clothes are feeling looser and I think I’m looking a little bit less chunky. But I confess I fell off the wagon last night! I do allow myself a glass of Friday fizz as a treat but how on earth I then came to scoff a load of chocolate is beyond me :@ Anyway, today is another day.

I started the BSD at 12 stone and am now 11st 6lb. I’m wanting to get to well under 10 stone – ideally 9st 7lb – by my birthday at the end of April. I’d hoped to be down to 11 stone by the end of January which now won’t happen but hopefully will hit that in a couple of weeks or so. I reckon even if I just manage a couple of pounds off a week that should see me to my birthday goal. My main goal for this week is to pick up the pace with exercise again as the combination of a nasty cold virus and freezing weather (UK) has rather scuppered that for the last couple of weeks!

Glad you got the book Ebs – lots of lovely recipes in there! There is a recipe for cheesy parmesan biscuits that are indeed great as a crunchy snack: I baked mine in the oven and they only take a few minutes.

Keep going everyone – we’re all in this together!

• posted by JuliaB
    on

Dear Ebs, Parmesan crisps are made same way as in a conventional oven. A bit of trial and error till you get it right, and maybe fewer at a time, but much quicker. Good luck

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Dreamscometrue – well done on your progress so far. Could I suggest to help you along the way and to give a sense of achievement, why not consider setting some mini-goals, rather than aiming purely for the ultimate goal straight off. Lots of us are using this tactic to give us something that feels imminently attainable to aim for, so that any blips along the way don’t feel as huge. Maybe your first one could be to drop those 6lb to get to 11st, or perhaps to get to the sub 11st mark. Mine at the moment to get to 9st (started out at 10st 11lb at just 5ft 1 and a size 14/16) I an getting very close and with luck might crack it within the next week. Once there, I’ll set the next mini-goal to get to 8st 11lb.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Hope you continue to see good results and that you will let us all know how you are getting on by posting your results.

• posted by Jacks
    on

I’d forgotten about kale crisps. Going to whiz up a batch this weekend. Will give parmesan crisps a go too. Thanks for the recos.

4 weeks in and 14lbs down of a 40lb goal. Hadn’t expected to loose anything, or perhaps gain, following an altercation with a (large) bag of Maltesers and too much cheese but dropped 1lb this week. So delighted that January has been a good start.

I was amazed how rubbish I felt the morning after the Maltesers and how quickly your body gets used to not having sugar and carbs. Like a hangover. Urgghh.

Well done Team January!
    Jacks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Had obviously heard about kale crisps, but never got around to actually trying them. Changed that today and YUM!!! I made some with a sprinkling of Ras El Hanout and they are delicious. These are definitely on my list to do again – thanks for the inspiration.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I made some kale crisps for the first time yesterday too. They were amazing! I can’t quite believe I’m saying this, but they were! Who knew?!

• posted by bmmorag
    on

Thank you LindaA for your help and advice – much appreciated. Weighing in tomorrow morning so hoping for a good first week – I certainly feel lighter (both in body and spirit – carb swings were making me moody and depressive) and can already get into clothes that wouldn’t have fit me last week. Will post my results in the morning. Got a very busy start to next week with a late finish at work on Monday followed by being up at 4.30 on Tuesday to get a train to another work appointment. Need to plan ahead for that….

Morag x

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, who knew indeed!!! You can make crisps with spinach too ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not overly keen on kale, but LUUURVE spinach and always have some in the fridge. Just tried a few leaves, tossed in tiny amount of olive oil, sprinkles with salt and a few herbs, cooked them for about 8 mins at 325 and, hey presto, spinach crisps ๐Ÿ™‚

Not sure how long they would stay crisp, as I only made one baking tray load, and they disappeared instantly!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Strange you should say that Theodora, the possibility of spinach crisps had occurred to me too and I was planning to try, but now I know that its a definite, I’ll be making some tomorrow for sure. I only made enough kale ones of a snack portion, to prevent over indulgence, so I will do this with the spinach too.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

I fear the supermarkets will be running out of kale and spinach as the BSDers all rush to get supplies for making crisps! …am intrigued to try them myself so this has gone on the shopping list.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Brussels sprouts make phenomenal crisps as well. Cut the stem ends off and pluck individual leaves off the sprouts. (You’ll have to keep triming the stem as you denude more and more leaves.) Toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and spread the leaves on a baking sheet, making sure there’s no layering or overlap. You’ll have to do it in a couple of batches if you make a full pound of brussels sprouts, so you might want to start with just a few in a test batch. Bake in the oven at 200F (about 90C) for an hour and a half or until crispy.

That’s the basic recipe. I’ve made it with different spice combinations — chili powder for a taco-y vibe, garlic and thyme, a splash of hot sauce. They are most satisfyingly crunchy, taste great and because each leaf is so small, you can eat a lot of them before serving size overreach becomes an issue.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have a bag of Kalettes so guess what I’m going to try…

• posted by bmmorag
    on

Week 1 results 8.5lbs lost very pleased. I always find week 2 of any diet the hardest one, when I am more likely to give up. I have been fine so far but with a busy start to the week ahead some serious planning to avoid going off the rails needed I think.

Morag x

• posted by sue126
    on

Hi All

Sorry I didn’t get to achieve my mini goal of posting more often – even worse, I’ve not even had time to catch up with the forum since Tuesday so I’m well behind!! I have promised myself I will dedicate some time this evening to catch up.

I hope everyone is doing well and I know any strugglers will have been helped along the way.

I’m very happy to report another 2lb down. I had a HBA1c in September which confirmed I am pre diabetic (45) delighted to say that it was repeated this week and is now down to 42, I know this is still in the pre diabetic range but Ive only been doing BSD since beginning of January so I think next time it’s done, I will be well below the lower limit. I feel very optimistic.
    To be honest this is the best thing I’ve ever done for weight loss – I do feel hungry at times (jealous of those who don’t!) but I have a hot drink or a small snack of nuts or a little cheese to get over i., I’m not even sure it’s real hunger – I am or should I say was a massive overeater – I really didn’t need to be hungry to stuff my face can tell you!!!
    Its a beautiful sunny but cold morning here in UK so I’m off for a walk – have a great day everyone and will catch up later.
    Sx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Linda – thank you for the link. I just hadn’t realised just how important salt is. I just thought of it as a cure for my horrible night cramps (I keep a little container of salt on my bedside cabinet – a teaspoon of salt completely gets rid of of the cramp). Looking back at my food diary it looks as though I am chronically salt deprived.

I know that I have read over and over again on this forum that salt is important to add when you are not eating all that processed food and drinking more water. It’s just that I had so completely taken on board the low salt message that I haven’t adjusted my salt intake to allow for the fact that this way of eating can be too low in salt.

I have bookmarked the link just to remind myself that I must add salt to my meals.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sue126
    Well done for your weight loss and your good hba1c. You have done really well in such a short time and the next test will be even better.

It is sunny here in East Anglia (rain forecast later) so I am just off for a walk also.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Week 3 day 1 for me and this week I lost 1lb making my weight loss so far in three weeks is 9.5 lbs. I am delighted that the weight is moving in the right direction. I am 5’1″ and my start weight was 12.7. I want to get down to under 10 stone. I am now 11.11. I am going to follow the suggestion of creating mini goals. Today I am going to plan my evening meals better for next week. Last week I relied on roasted cauliflower a lot! My first goal will be to get to 11.7 and then that will mean one stone lost! Good luck to everyone this week. I have got two meals out with friends this week which will be challenging! Last night I was out with work colleagues and I had a tomato and mozzarella salad to start and a courgette and aubergine bake with veg for my main course. . I ordered a large bottle of sparkling water and when my tiramisu came I only ate a spoonful of the cream! Weighed this morning and was the same as yesterday! Was happy with that! Have a good week everyone. After this week I am half way through the 8 week plan!

• posted by CathyM
    on

Linda,
    Thank you for that link about salt. Fascinating stuff. We are so brainwashed into being careful about our salt intake that we forget how important it is to get enough. Now that I’m eating mainly fresh and no processed (and therefore salt laden) food I can see how I’m not getting my recommended amount.
    I’ll consciously start adding it from now on.
    This diet is a real learning curve!

• posted by toby101
    on

So 4 weeks in half way – probs around 1000 calories a day plus wine at weekend but very strict about low carb

103kg 16 stone 3 pounds down to 93.5kg 14 stone 12 pounds

Fasting blood sugar down from pre-diabetic to middle of normal range

3 inches off waist (weight seems to have mostly come off chest and upper abdomen so far)

Blood pressure down from 140/90 to 120/70

Only real problem I have is slight insomnia due to hunger that seems to only come on at night

Absolutely delighted – to anyone starting out – it is definitely worth sticking with

• posted by cmawp
    on

Congrats toby101, great all around loss.

Keep it up for the remaining few weeks and you’ll sit in a tidy result.

Sounds like we were similar starting sizes. After 8 weeks, I upper my calories to 1000-1200 for 7/8 weeks to see what effect it had.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Well done everyone! Some really positive results here and excellent tips. Thanks SunnyB for the “mini goal suggestion” – will definitely take that on board. Am aiming for 11 stone by Valentine’s Day – and somehow another pound has come off today despite my little lapses this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ So only five more to go to reach that mini goal.

LindaA that article on salt was really helpful and a real eye-opener. On my second full week on the diet I had bad headaches and also a kind of tingling in the head, combined with a general feeling of weakness. I also had a bad cold at the time so not really sure what was what, but I do think I was suffering from lack of salt. I now add a bit of salt to any food I cook from scratch – totally against everything I have been told over the last few years but I do feel much better,

Here’s wishing everyone a brilliant week!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks for posting the salt link too, Linda, it makes perfect sense and has reminded me I really need to up mine!

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hello I live in Melbourne – I’ve just completed the first week on the BSD – one minor minor headache caused by me – didn’t drink enough water on a terribly hot day! Where are you from – how’s that heat?? Melbourne’s doing its usual – what a weird weather day!
    Drinking more water seems extremely important- to prevent headaches.

I’m really happy with my first week’s weight loss 1.6kgs but what I’m really pleased with is that I’ve not been ravenous or even hungry!! Must be eating more protein &!loads of vegetables and being determined too.

Can I join the group of January starters – great idea.

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi Susannah,
    I’m in Newcastle – pretty hot here today! I’m just starting week 3 of the BSD. I’ve lost 5kgs and my BSL and blood pressure are both down considerably. Much more happy with the readings than the weight loss although that’s awesome too. Diet is not as hard as I feared (after the first few days which were hideous!) although I’m starting to struggle for recipes so I’ve just ordered the cookbook. I have needed to supplement magnesium as well as add more salt to things -which feels really weird!
    Welcome aboard and good luck
    Chrissie

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Dear toby1 – what a fantastic weight loss you’ve had – and only 4 weeks in – you must be feeling very positive about the BSD and its so good to read your journey so far! Look forward to reading the next post by you.
    I’ve only done one week but I’m optimistic and determined!!

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hi there Chrissie – I feel for you up there in Newcastle – dreadful heat – so far we’re nowhere near our 35degrees and it’s pouring!! I wish you good air conditioning.
    You’ve done incredibly well – that’s a fabulous weight loss – and the most important part is those readings – you must be so delighted that it’s working for you so well.
    I’ve bought the cookbook and I can recommend it! I’ve got both the 5:2 and this BSD – thought 2 were even better!!
    I made the flapjacks recipe yesterday – too delicious!

I had people for afternoon tea and made cupcakes for the children and any adults (that was tempting) but I resisted. And made the flapjacks – which didn’t look so good but really were – hard to cut into 24 – I got about 12 and crumbly “granola”! I made the guilt free choc brownies which only went down well with my 3 year old granddaughter!

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Ok, now I can’t wait for the cookbook to arrive! Not really interested in chocolate but dying for bread so flapjacks sound good.
    Congratulations on the rain – I’m so jealous!

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hi Sue126 and everyone
    I too was a massive over eater – that switch in the brain that is supposed to tell you when you’re not hungry did not evolve!!!!
    I’m hopeful that the BSD will teach me and I’ll learn not to just keep on eating and “feel” the hunger!
    Hope you’ve still got sunshine – I’m English but live in Australia.

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Not savoury but excellent!
    Hate to disappoint but they are seeded flapjacks with dried cherries dates goji berries and oats plus mixed seeds and nuts.
    When you bake them can you tell me how on earth to cut them so they don’t crumble into granola!!!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi SusannahD
    I’m in Sydney, it’s 40 deg in my backyard at the moment, but I’m lucky enough to have a pool, so I’m staying cool jumping in and out as not a work day today.

Before BSD, I was a massive overeater but after losing 33kg from April to October last year (now on maintenance) have found that my appetite has significantly reduced. A lot has to do with the fact that I have not increased my carb intake, only my saturated/monounsaturated fats (stay away from the polyunsaturated fats, they are really bad for your health).
    Take care with the dried fruits also as they are particularly high in fructose and carbs and most of us don’t eat them.

Hi Chrissie63, hope you’re doing ok.
    Check out this link for low carb high fat recipes on the diet doctor website, they are adding to it all the time, so if you want a change from the recipes in Dr M’s book, there’s plenty to choose from here. They also do some great articles.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Thanks for the link Linda – that’s really great. I have retreated to the air conditioning – 38 here. Don’t think I’ll be doing the flapjacks – they don’t sound like me at all!
    Best wishes everyone
    Chrissie

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hi Linda – we are down to 29.5 here but for you I would be doing exactly as you – in and out of the pool – 40 feels like a furnace!

Yes dried fruits – oh dear I ate prunes (in need) lots of calories. Dried unseeetened cherries are ok from Costco in tiny amounts it seems. I used them to make the flapjacks for visitors.

You’ve done brilliantly on your weight loss journey – 33kgs in 6 months is fantastic. You must feel like a different person and healthy the most important achievement.

• posted by KateG
    on

Hi,
    Just discovered this great website, so much great information.
    It is still January.. by one day so hoping to join this convesation ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.
    I started the BSD on the 2nd Jan and had the 4 week weigh in today and have lost 8kg and fasting blood sugar is down from 7.0 to 4.8, so happy, this is the best weight lose diet I’ve ever done and I’ve done a few!
    Was really interested to read about the salt loss, thank you for adding the link LindA. Have noticed a bit of leg cramping the last couple of days and some eye floaters which I can now sort out.
    Enjoy the rest of the day.
    Cheers Kate

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Hey hey
    Some advice from the dark side:

Avoid Wineries on a hot day on Australia Day as they lead you to commit many dietary sins

Basically I have gone mad and had a 3 day wine and socialising binge

My weight went up 0.6kg on my great 7kg loss the previous 3 weeks
    Big Oops but I can assure you that 3 days of wine and merriment can put on 1.5kg

That’s my last social planned and Feb diary empty so Fasting February here I come

Just near the end of Monday and had 400 cals but still full from the weekend lol
    I got complacent and paid the price

Onwards and upwards

Please log in or register to post a reply.