Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kiddo
    on

Yes! Victory shall be ours! <tries hard to convince self>

Well I’m not going to give up. 8 weeks or bust. And that’s just my trousers…

• posted by Audleytom
    on

I am a very slow starter and am hoping by the end of Jan to be on course, I have emptied some stuff out of my cupboards and am slowly replacing them with GOOD items

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi everyone
    Last day of Week2 tomorrow, be interested to see how I’ve done. Can see ( sought of) a reduction in size of my tummy at the top. Think my back fats reduced slightly too!! Bra bit more comfy. Struggling to keep fibre intake up – vegetarian but trying not to have too many/any pulses. Sticking to quorn, egg, cheese etc for protein. Anyone got any ideas? Still loving the food- not hungry. All is good in BSD here.hope you all are having a good week too

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Psyllium husk and chia seed are often mentioned for adding fibre, I have tried both, but prefer chia seed, some of its other properties, like the gel production make it quite useful in some recipes.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Sounds like you making good progress tumtump – try tofu/ nuts / seeds. I’m vegan so finding proteins is a challenge. Good luck

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Audleytom: all in your own time! Unless you have any urgent medical imperative then being prepared is best. This is your choice in a change of eating style, so you need to do it your way.

Tumtum: Chia seeds sprinkled on yogurt and anything else you can? That’s what I am trying to do… When I remember! 😂 I bought mine in morrisons, so seem to be fairly easy to get of you don’t have a health food shop local.

• posted by meg71
    on

Hi. Bit late joining in but, please may i your thread. Have just finished week 1 and am down 4 kg. Not quite sure if that is for real, so keep jumping on scales! Husband assures me it’s just water, but i’m drinking heaps. Admittedly i’m not replacing intercellular fluid with tap water, but not sure about his theory. i’m not diabetic but have diabetes in my family, so i’m keen to stay in the healthy range. I stacked on a bit of weight when i weaned my daughter (knew there was a reason i breastfed for so long…), then minor leg surgery saw a bit more creep on. Keen to trend downwards, and actually fit my clothes again. So far impressed. The food is manageable. Adapting it a bit for what is readily available locally, and substituting my options when cooking for the family (the kids can have the pasta. i’ll stick to zucchini noodles. The kids aren’t such a fan of those…). i’m not hungry. I’m no longer hitting 2 pm and falling asleep and i just seem to have more energy.
    Is this for real? Will it all come back with a thud in the end?
    Will my husband see the results and be motivates to make changes? That last one is wishful thinking ;).

Any how,

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Welcome Meg71, the first week loss is brilliant isn’t it? Let’s keep motivated for the next bit!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It really is for real 😀and don’t give up on others noticing and making adjustments themselves either. My OH isn’t interested in dieting, but has been intermittent fasting/skipping meals when he isn’t hungry and eating what I cook, although I sometimes do extra potatoes etc. and he is two stone lighter now than he was. I’d probably like him to be a stone lighter still for his health, but compared to how he was it is so much healthier, and almost without trying. Some of the loss in the first week is bound to be water, carbs seem to be linked to water and sodium retention somehow so drastically reducing them releases the water and sodium. After the first week, people generally lose between 1/2 – 1 1/2 kg a week, depending on their starting point.

• posted by DenSol2803
    on

Hello everyone! I’d like to join in on this thread as well. I’m brand new, starting tomorrow. I could definitely use the support. From reading through the thread I see that those of you who have shared have had some great results thus far; I’m hoping for the same. Does anyone have a menu plan that you follow that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

• posted by Inka13
    on

Welcome Meg! Fantastic loss so far, Mixnmatch is right, some of the loss is water but if you read back on other threads, it is paving the way for better usage of those cells! And it definitely is for real! If you have managed to dodge the dreaded carb flu then you should just keep on feeling great! There may be ups and downs along way but as someone who is one their second 8 weeks with a few wobbles, my carb cravings have gone and I find 800 Cals more than satisfying. I have even stopped needing to snack on nuts etc between meals. Water is key as everyone says. Sounds like you are off to a brilliant start so well done!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Welcome too to DenSol, best of luck and let us know how your first days go!
    As far as meals plans go, I have never drawn one up but have a few favourites from the website and recipe book that I can cycle through and breakfasts are either eggs or Greek youghurt and berries. Eggs especially keep you full. Actually, I think the BSD recipe book has a meal plan at the back? Just keep in mind the calorie count of some of the recipes is actually a bit higher than noted as a lot of people have found.
    Best of luck!

• posted by China2013
    on

Dreamscometrue, pollymv64 and candoit, I am also a teacher and completely understand the need for a glass (or 2 or 3) after a day at work. I have found starting in the holidays (Friday 6th for me) means I have a good 3 weeks to break that habit of reaching for a bottle of Riesling as soon as I walk in the door. Recess is a killer, I am usually starving by then because I eat breakfast around 7.30am and recess is at 11am and then lunch at 1.40pm. It will be interesting to see if I can cope without snacks when I return in 2 weeks. I made a promise to myself to drink 1 litre of water between breakfast and lunch and another litre of water between lunch and dinner and so far so good. I still suffered from carb flu and am only now, day 11, not getting headaches.
    mocnk, kiddo and mixnmatch, I am on week 2 now and after a staggering 5.9kg loss in week one, I’ll be happy for anything in week 2. Weigh in is Friday and I have decided not to weigh myself everyday as it plays with my emotions too much. I’ll just wait until Friday and be happy with any weight loss.

• posted by Ebs
    on

Weigh in is tomorrow after 3 weeks, just had for the first time the chickpea and hazelnut salad for lunch which I would highly recommend, so much food for 2 now really full. The only problem so far is loosing too much weight from my face which is fine in your 40s or 50s but not such a good look in your 60s when all the lines appear from nowhere, oh! well at least the disappearing stomach is a bonus.

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m just starting today 16th Jan. Never thought I would post in a forum but you all seem so friendly and supportive and I could use that. I am trying to study (half way thru my PhD in English Literature) and I’m worrying that lack of carbs is making my brain fuzzy. Its hard to concentrate, but maybe I’ll get past that bit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I’m a diabetic (type 2) and I’m worried about not having my go-to carbs available if my blood sugar starts to drop. How do other people manage this? I am pretty motivated by going to the UK (from Australia) in April to speak at a conference but I have lost weight before and just put it back on. This is a last resort for me.
    Thanks for listening!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Hi DenSol and welcome there is a menu plan at the back of the BSD book, however eggs are the go for breakfast as they are very filling and my husband and I find we dont need to eat again until lunch. Over the past 3 weeks I have so far lost 3kgs, however only needed to loose 6kgs which I have found in the past those last few kilos are so difficult to shift. Hubby needs to loose 8 kgs we both need to loose the fat from around our middle. I have gone from an 83 cm waist to 78 cm so its a start. Planning, planning and more planning is the key to this diet, I usually spend some time on the weekend writing down a menu for the week then buying all the ingredients in one go so I dont have to face the shops and am not tempted to buy chocolate, my one down fall. So good luck and keep smiling.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Chrissie

After the first couple of weeks I found that my mind felt sharper and my concentration improved, although I put that down to sleeping a lot better. As a recently diagnosed diabetic I don’t actually measure my blood sugar outside my quarterly HBA1C tests, however on a more general note, I have switched to using nuts/falafels/slices of cooked meats as snack replacements.

• posted by Marion53
    on

JulesMaigret
    So pleased to see you back on this thread. Your posts are so motivating and informative.
    M

• posted by Anniflower
    on

Hi Chrissie63

We have much in common, starting today, age, T2, fears about lines, last resort! let’s hope we succeed together.

If you get too low on blood sugar, i think you would have to treat the hypo. I use glucose tabs, because they are measured, instant and easy to carry. But lets be positive and cross that bridge if and when we come to it!

Hope you enjoy your trip to our shores!

Anniflower

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Meg71, I’m not part of this group, but thought I’d add my penny’s worth: my OH wasn’t interested in dieting either, but after a bit he saw I was enjoying what I was eating and has joined me to a certain extent. He’s not doing the diet strictly, but he is losing weight (almost no bread, no potatoes, courgetti instead of pasta, and a reduced amount of breakfast cereal and hardly ever as a late-night snack). So just stick with it for your own sake anyway and you never know, your husband might join you. As for the alertness and increased energy, I can vouch for those too! And as for the 4 kg, what result! It won’t all be water, that’s for sure. 🙂 Good luck.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all,

We are all doing so well aren’t we!!! Keep up the good work and losses all! :o)

Week 2 day 7 for me… Currently weighing in at just shy of a 7lb loss for the 2 weeks. I’m not a massive “loser” when it comes to diets so I am really pleased – plus “hormone” stuff has come into play this week so I think this is messing with my scales.

Week 3 starts tomorrow… Got to keep going… I’m really enjoying this diet, if enjoying is the right term. I’m not particularly hungry and am enjoying trying the recipes from the book and online. Holiday is on the 18th Feb so have a very clear goal ahead.

I had a meal out on Friday night and was really pleased with myself… had a deli board to start so 1 slice of mortadella, 1 of salami and 1 of prosciutto along with feta cheese and olives. I then had a burger (without the bun) and the chips that came with it I made them swap to salad. That alongside diet coke and I was really pleased with myself!! Calorie counted it all and i was only slightly over as I over compensated for the burger but I will still really pleased and was probably under. Next meal out is on the 29th Jan but that is at my local pub and when we go it’s the only meal I have that day and I will have a roast without the potatoes so will be an easy meal for me to control (as long as I don’t succumb to the baked camembert!).

The hardest part of this weekend has been ignoring the wine – normally when it’s raining outside on a Sunday I do a jigsaw with a glass of wine in the afternoon and I really missed this. I got through it though and didn’t do it…. It was so hard though. Dry January continues….

Week 3…. here we come!!!

Much Love,
    Rebecca xxx

• posted by Jacks
    on

Catching up on the weekend’s posts. So encouraging to read others results – well done Team January!

I’m 2 weeks in and 10lbs down, with a goal of 40lb. Managed to put on 2lb during week 2 due to an incident with a Christmas cake, so was hesitant about hopping on the scales, but pleasantly surprised.

Things I’m finding that help:

Hot (not boiling) water with a good squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning. I pre-slice a lemon to last me the week.
    Drinking more water during the day. Schedule reminders in your diary to prompt you whilst you get in the swing.
    Log food for the day ahead – really helps keep on track and know what you have left to ‘spend’.
    Hop on the scales once a week only. I’ve learnt to my own detriment that weighing in too frequently can knock your confidence.

It’s all about changing habits, often ones we’ve had for years, which takes time. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Re-focus, plan and be proud of your results so far.

I’m sticking to the recipes in the BSD Recipe Book like glue. Low-carb lamb hotpot over the weekend – delish.
    Jacks

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Good morning all
    Very well done on your excellent weight losses. I am sooo jealous as I only managed 1.5 kg. I know it is a loss, but on all the hundreds of diets I have failed on before, I always lose so much more on the first week. Still, I will continue as there are many other benefits I have noticed, mainly to do with skin – I won’t bore with details but apart from condition, I have also noticed some lumps disappearing – hurray for that! I suspect this is more to do with the water volume I am consuming, but also lack of wheat which I knew was a problem – white soft crusty bread lathered in butter – strangely I have not missed this at all. I am using recipes I have not tried before and they are delicious and now have a stock of different soups in the freezer (not a fan of soup, but these are really lovely). Living alone (which probably helps re dieting as I only have to look after number 1) I have tended not to bother much with cooking, but am now making the effort Mmmmmm……

I am drinking 3 litres of water (sometimes a tad more) a day, but does the weeing ever calm down? It’s very inconvenient and any trips out have to be planned very carefully. I am probably getting my 10,000 steps done by going to the loo and back every 20 minutes. Maybe I just have a very small bladder. I am on week 2, day 3.

I suspect my lack of weight loss is due to consuming far too much dairy – I have never liked milk, but double cream and butter??? So this week I am being far more diligent and writing everything down. I have an enormous amount of weight to lose and have read posts on here avidly – so very encouraging.

Thank you all for your input on here – it’s great.

Kate

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi k8sgettingthin

We started BSD on the same day.

I think 1.5 kg is brilliant.
    Keep going, you are doing well.

• posted by elainew422
    on

Hello all,

I do love to read about all of your weight losses! Shame my first week wasn’t quite so successful.

Today is day 1 of week 2 so I weighed myself this morning and have lost of 4lb in week 1. I’m really disappointed as I was hoping for more but think I know where I went wrong … I’d been really good with my calories and had a few left over in the evenings. I’d read that nuts are ok as a healthy snack so each evening I would have a few. However, I really underestimated the calories in them. I got around to weighing some out yesterday and I was so shocked to find out how many calories I had eaten with my supposedly healthy snack. I didn’t eat that many either! Oh well, the nuts have all gone and I wont be buying anymore!!!

Hopefully week 2 will be an improvement.

on

Hello Way of Life
    Thank you
    Was wondering how you got on?

Kate

• posted by Ragz134
    on

Hi all, just an update. I’m on week 2 day 7, lost 11.6lbs so far. Still on plan, had a few higher calorie days but no off plan foods (okay, I had 2 chips). Went back to the gym today, muscles struggled a bit but I felt good for it. Generally feeling pretty good and hopeful for the next 6 weeks.

• posted by Juliet
    on

Hi Everyone : )

Please can I claim late entry into Team January? I started last Monday and have lost 5lb so am really pleased.

I did start last April and lost 8lb in the first couple of weeks, but my dad died very suddenly at the end of January and I’ve only now been able to think about doing this again. Needless to say I have more to lose than I did then, but hope doing this will help me feel a bit more in control of my life! My dad had diabetes and heart disease, as I mentioned when I first signed up last year. Little did I know then how few the precious days left with him would be.

So… this is all good! Good luck everyone – I look forward to the journey with you. : )

• posted by Juliet
    on

Hi
    Just re-read my post. ( a bit late!) My darling dad died at the end of April last year, just 2 weeks after I started the BSD – not January : )

on

Juliet
    So sorry you lost your dad like that. It’s such a shock when they go suddenly. Well done for starting again now. You will get a lot of support on here.
    kate

• posted by Juliet
    on

Thanks Kate x

• posted by AsdisPauls
    on

Hi I also would like to join. Started today. Bought the book last fall and have been preparing mentally 🙂 A bit stresses I will be hungry and have physical symtomps that distracts me.

• posted by AsdisPauls
    on

Hi, sorry to say the weeing does not het better… I’ve been weeing for years since I’ve always been a heavy waterdrinker.

• posted by Marion53
    on

Hi everyone, ! I posted this morning but it disappeared so apologies if it surfaces somewhere.
    Week 2 Day 1 also for me. Lost 3lbs this week. That’s ok for me as I am not counting every single calorie. From past experience I know I would have lasted all of 3 days. I don’t want to be on ‘Starting again in January 2018’ thread.
    Tried cauliflower rice today instead of the usual green beans to replace pasta. Had tbsp peanut butter for dessert. Yogurt and berries and six almonds for breakfast, eggs for lunch. Breakfast and lunch always the same. And fizzy water and my crochet to keep me out of the kitchen till bedtime.
    Most things I miss are bread and apples. But I can’t stop at 1 and they swallow up the carb allowance so I’ve stopped buying them at the moment. I love shortbread too but that’s off the shopping list as well.
    Well done to everyone. Good luck to the newbies and let’s lose tons this week.
    M

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

I drink 2 litres a day and find that suits me fine
    I’m 5 11′ and 87kg
    I include decaf coffee and peppermint tea I have
    The toilet thing does calm down after 2 weeks I reckon
    I haven’t used a recipe yet from the Book but will do soon as salad and roast veg getting a tad monotonous but still loving homemade soup and porridge oats with blueberries and a drop of cacao powder – delicious for those missing their chocolate and only about 200 calories if using almond unsweetened milk

• posted by Candoit
    on

Great explanation to kiddo Mixnmatch. I too have plateaued 2nd week in. It is really disheartening given I am working my but off at the gym and waking in the wee hours starving😕

Your post has made my morning a lot brighter, thank you.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Elainew422

I started last week like you and am on day 2 of week two- I lost 4.5 lb in my first week. Whenever I have been to Weightwatchers or slimming world in the past I have managed to lose 3lb in the first week and then usually one pound or so in the subsequent weeks. With this diet I have not been at all hungry and am so inspired by the amount of weight that does seem to come off. This site is so positive and inspirational. I am feeling very optimistic about what the next few weeks might do for me! I went wrong and ate too many pears and nuts last week so like you am making a few changes to what I eat this week. I hope that the scales will be kind to us next weigh in! Good luck for the week ahead!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Week 2 weigh in in the morning. Thinking there may or may not be a dreaded plateau. However I put a pair of trousers on today that two weeks ago I couldn’t get on let alone zip up. They fitted!! And didn’t cut me in half. So no matter what the morning brings I know I’m moving forward. My loss was spectacular last week so I know I can’t do it again. However another week of delicious food, not hungry and feeling positive. Good luck to those weighing tomorrow x

• posted by Ragz134
    on

Week 3 day 1, hello! 12lbs lost in two weeks, leaves me a further 9lbs over the next 6 weeks to meet my 10% target of 21lbs, which is feeling definitely possible.
    Gym again today.
    Lunch will be chili soup and dinner something with chicken. Cream in coffee for breakfast as usual.
    Have a good day everyone!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Weighed in- only 3/4lb off and half an inch off my waist so I’m at a plateau. I think I’m ok with that- would have been nice to get the stone but I’m remembering those trousers fitting!! This is my new way of life so no going back. Have a lovely day BSD fellows x

• posted by Angela06
    on

Well done to everyone still posting on this thread. There are some really inspiring results. I haven’t seen granny for a while. How are you, Granny?

My weekly weigh-in 1.7kg down.

I’m a touch disappointed but down is definitely good!

Maybe because it’s January and cold but I’m finding the second round harder than the first. I do need to go back to weighing foods and to put a stop to grazing. I’ve gone back to thinking if I eat something standing up it doesn’t count!

Wishing you all a great low carb week. Angela

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done on the weight loss so far China2013 🙂 I am only 3 days in and not going to weigh myself until the end of week 1, but so far so good (we’ll sort of, had a couple of glasses of wine last night 😬). I was REALLY hungry yesterday morning between breakfast and lunch, and again in the late afternoon. So today I took a couple of snacks to work (using calories from lunch & dinner). One was 9 almonds, the other a couple of tablespoons of Greek yoghurt with 2 chopped up strawberries. I was really busy at work today and didn’t need a snack in the morning, but was grateful to have them in the afternoon/evening. The other thing I did was made a big pot of veggie soup (low carb before, stock cube and water) and divided it up into containers. Each container is 45 calories, and I’m keeping some at work and some at home! I would rather use 45 cals for soup than be tempted by the vending machines! I didn’t need to eat it today, who would in 42 degree heat though!
    This evening when I got home from work I poured some sparkling water into a wine glass with ice cubes, a squeeze of lime and a slice of lime. Then I sat down and sipped it slowly –
    it seemed to have the same relaxing affect as my usual glass of wine 🙂 not sure if this would work after a really stressful day, but worth a try.

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

It’s one heck of a slog and the motivation can wear off in week 2
    I’m 17 days in and feel good having ditched my beloved Carbs
    I was married to them and wasn’t prepared for a trial seperation !
    I remind myself that 800 is 800 and Mr Mosley would shake his head if I started saying 1000 cals here and 950 there is doing what the book says
    I find reminding myself that I have dates where I have social events where I want to attend being 7kg lighter , really motivates me when I get the incredible hunger

Stick with it guys and let’s be posting on here in 5 weeks saying how well we’ve done rather than seeing how well others have done

• posted by Angela06
    on

Getyour carbon…well said. A good reminder of why we are all here.

• posted by Candoit
    on

Hey China2013,
    I lost 10 kg last year during term 3.
    I found that I survived better by holding out for breakfast till recess, lunch straight after school and dinner around 8.
    In Mosley’s 5:2 book he talks a bit about the benefits of fasting.
    I must say, I am missing the wine but it is so much easier on the holidays.
    Drinking so much water and teaching can be a bit tricky😀
    Which country are you located?

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hiya

Well its week 3 day 1. I weighed in this morning and I have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks which for me is amazing. I have never lost so much in the first 2 weeks of a diet. I am going into week 3 with such a positive head and cannot wait to see further results. Clothes are already fitting better and I can see my double chin beginning to disappear!

Hope you all have a good week :o)

Much Love,
    Rebecca xx

• posted by Ebs
    on

Weigh in today end of 3rd week have now lost 4 kg, jeans I bought in the UK in August size 12 have been passed on to my daughter as I have dropped a size to size 10. Cant believe the loss from my stomach and hips, inches are disappearing. Hubby lost 2.5 kgs last week and had a couple of glasses of wine. Keep up the good work everyone.

• posted by Granny
    on

Hi everyone, yes granny still around angela, enjoying reading all the posts and folliwing how everyones getting on. Was in London at the weekend visiting relatives so BSD was tricky to say the least, more so on the alcohol front than food😌! But batch cooked today, so have the next few days menus sorted and, as alot of people have already said, its the prepping that takes away the stress😀. As this is week 3 for me I’m dreading the plateau but trying to build in more walking to push things along (hooefully), weigh day is friday. Keep up the good work everyone and YES we can be here in 5 weeks with lots of happy faces💪🏻💪🏻.

• posted by Way of life
    on

What a difference a couple of days make.
    Lost my way yesterday and much of today…carb central!
    Have refocused and instead of thinking I’ll restart tomorrow, I’m restarting now, late afternoon.
    Here we go again….

Kudos to those of you who have lost weight and are feeling good. 🙂

• posted by toby101
    on

I find telling myself hunger pangs are simply the feeling of the weight coming off really helpful!

Please log in or register to post a reply.