Starting again!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Everyone (again!)

I am trying this again… I have terrible willpower problems. My husband and daughter are supporting me this time so fingers crossed!

I have some questions…

I am managing to keep carbs around 40 – 50 but find I can’t increase protein and fat without going over the 800 calories.

I went to 1000 calories today but again carbs ok but under on the rest.. Please help so I can carry on.

On the good side – I have cycled with my daughter for 6 miles and walked for an hour! Phew!

Thanks

Lucy

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hello again!

I feel a bit silly replying to my own post! Oh well, nothing new there!

I wonder if I have posted my query in the right place – does anyone know where I should put the above query to get a reply?

I suppose most people are still out enjoying probably the only sunny day of the year!

I will wait hopefully and more patiently for a reply..

Thanks

Lucy

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi there, it has been a bit quieter here today.

It seems to take a good bit of experimentation to find the levels of carbs that work, personally mine sit a bit higher usually around 50 but sometimes up to 60. I play with combinations on my fitbit app before I decide on my food so I can add bits and take them out to see what adds up better. I think you can register on the fitbit site without having a fitbit but I’m not sure. myfitnesspal is also popular.

Don’t let the fact you are re-starting get you down. You can do it this time!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi LucyAB
    Just waking up here in Sydney and saw your post.
    I’ve been recording everything I eat in the EasyDietDiary app and I just had a quick look back over the last week and see I’ve managed to keep the carbs between 20 and 50 and the cals between 800 & 900 each day. I’ve lost 5.5kg in the first 2 weeks and have not had any sugar, bad carbs or alcohol at all since I started. I’m also making an effort to walk every day for around 50-60 mins before I go to work in the mornings. Record what you eat and play around with recording foods until you get more familiar with the carb levels and portion sizes and you’ll soon work it out. Other than when I should be, I’m not feeling the hunger pangs that I used to due to the increase in fats and water consumption.
    Well done with the exercise. It sounds like the whole family will benefit!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi LucyAB,
    Well done with re-starting. You mention will-power in your post. This way of eating may prove that wrong. While being on my BSD journey I’ve discovered that what I thought was my lack of willpower was actually carb addiction – I’ve taken away the simple carbs and have not had any ‘willpower’ issues. I’m in Week 6 and feel well satiated. It’s a steep learning curve. Last week when I felt like chocolate I baked the Guilt Free Brownies (recipe in the book). Other times when I feel like chocolate I make a hot milk and cocoa drink (keeping within 800 cal – some days a little over, some a little under).

Something that I find helpful is mindfulness meditation and exercise (which you’re already doing). I walk. I vary my route so some days have more hills than others. You can find threads on exercise and mindfulness meditation towards the bottom of the forum page.

You mentioned grams of carbs. You may find it helpful to read Bill1954’s thread ‘This has to work for me’. You can find it by clicking on the Welcome to the BSD heading and scrolling down.

When you have time, try and read through the forums because there are many folk who discuss carb gram. It will give you a good overview.

Best wishes LucyAB and keep us all posted on your progress.

• posted by nonnie
    on

Hi LucyAB,

I like to distribute my calories in these approximate amounts:

50 grams carbohydrate @ 4 calories per gram=200 calories
    40 grams protein @ 4 calories per gram=160
    48 grams fat @ 9 calories per gram=432
    This adds up to 792 calories.

50 gr. carbs is my personal choice, and the 40 gr. of protein is what is recommended for women in the BSD book (50 gr. for men). Yeah, I’m a little obsessive about tracking…

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi nonnie
    Your post is helpful re your calorie breakdown.
    See page 132 in the BSD book, “The standard recommendations for protein are around 45g a day for a woman, and 55g per day for a man”.
    It’s working for you on your carbs & calories per day, that’s good.
    Daily Protein recommendation is the only guide I can find in the BSD book. For fats & carbs it’s been a general consensus of opinions by the original veterans on what their amounts of carbs & fats would be. It’s not written in stone & we are still all feeling our way through this diet.

I have posted several times the original Optifast shakes daily carbs, protein & fat intake to try & give people a standard to work to if they want to.
    Optifast Shakes used in the original diet trial, see, http://www.optifast.com.au
    Serving 54g. Per shake. Energy Kj 870. Energy cal 207
    Protein – 17.5g. Fat – 4.5g. Carbs – 22.5g. Sugar – 17.8g. Dietry Fibre – 3.6g. Gluten – NO. Lactose – YES
    GI – 24 – 33
    600 calories per day in shakes & 200 calories = non starchy veg 250g

Therefore Daily CARBS. 22.5g x 3 = 67.5g + other carbs in veg.
    Daily PROTEIN 17.5g. x 3 = 52.5g ( standard recommendations as above)
    Daily FAT. 4.5.g x 3 = 13.5g
    Daily SUGAR. 17.8g x 3 = 53.4g
    Hope this is useful info again for you & others
    Eureka

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hello All!

Thank you all so much for your posts… I was so tired after my exercising I went to bed early!

I have got up early and gone for a walk and enjoyed same

I worry that my carb intake is usually ok but I don’t seem to reach good protein or fat levels. Perhaps it will take a little time to tinker around with food to get it right.

Well at least I’m doing well with water! In the past, I have not been good at drinking water – although I give out good advice to my patients! I used to drink zero calorie fizzy but have reduced this to one or two cans a week and hope to stop ASAP.

Anyway, I am really grateful for your replies and will try to update as I go!

Lucy

Please log in or register to post a reply.