Started 3 days ago

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Hi, I started the diet 3 days ago. It’s pretty tough but so far so good. I have experience of 5:2 but wanted to lose some more weight, but quicker. I don’t have diabetes or high blood sugar, but as my dad developed it in his 50’s with no apparent risks factors (he was probably what they now call a TOFI type), I want to ensure that I do what I can to avoid it. I love potatoes so that’s hard. I have no idea if I will last, or need to do the full 8 weeks. I. could comfortably lose at least 1 stone, so I will see how it goes. I was wondering how much people incorporate pulses into the diet. I eat pulses regularly as part of my normal diet, but want to ensure that I don’t go overboard. I’m weighing everything and can keep that up for a few weeks. Also I was wondering what people have found when eating out. I know each place will be different, but any experience/tips from those of you more experienced? Any experience, advice etc is really welcomed. Thanks

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hello and welcome Timetochange!

Pulses are absolutely fine on the BSD but they do tend to be carb heavy and it can be more effective in weight loss terms to keep carbs to 50g or less per day within your 800 calories.

So if you can count in your pulses according to targets, carry on – otherwise perhaps you could reduce quantities and/or eat less frequently?

Whilst it does take a little getting used to, cutting out refined carbs completely can be done relatively easily and a lot of people see amazing benefits.

Good luck and do keep asking questions if you need to – and use the SEARCH box as there is a lot of experience on this forum now! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Thanks Igorasusual. I’ll check out my carb levels as I’m using My Fitness Pal to keep count of everything.
    I’m hoping the headaches get better. I’m used to the fasting headaches, which usually get better once in a rhythm. I drink tons of water so I know it’s not dehydration. I’m prone to headaches anyway, so it’s always a challenge. Here’s to some serious weight loss!

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Great news I’ve weighed myself this morning. It’s day 4 and I’ve lost 7 Ibs. I know it’s water but still, I’m ecstatic! I can feel that I’ve lost weight as my clothes are looser.
    Can anyone tell me what’s the view on sugar free squash? Are all artificial sweeteners a no no? I believe that they raise blood sugars (except for Stevia)?
    I drink lots of naturally sugar free drinks like water! However I do like squash for a change.
    This is a great forum and full of ideas. Thanks

• posted by Avila
    on

I drink my fluids as sugar free squash (it has always been my stable, hot or cold as hate tea, coffee, hot choc, herbals etc etc) I am making it more dilute as drinking more, but not ready to lose all flavour. I am still losing weight although I was not yet diabetic so not testing effect on blood sugars.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Thanks Avila. I would like to cut back a bit on tea. I rarely drink coffee but I’m a proper tea pot! I’m waiting for the dramatic come down from no sugar (refined type, I’m still eating berries) but I’m amazed that it feels fine. I sometimes think that it’s more about where my head is when I’m trying to lose weight and this determines my success. I regularly exercise usually, so I’m just stepping it up a little. Managed to ignore a buffet today at a work training event, it took all my willpower!! Just ate my little box of food!

• posted by Avila
    on

My dad was /is total teapot – the dr told him to go on to caffeine free tea back when it was almost unheard of, because he was drinking so much tea. He had to learn to face teabags instead of loose tea for the first time. He would have a full pot even if only him and top it up to stew some more…. I used to joke that there were only 2 reasons why he would not have a pot on – asleep or out of the house! Unsurprisingly I have been able to make tea for as long as I can remember yet coffee was totally absent until my future brother in law was brought home. As a child I apparently refused tea right from the start, as a teenager I found coffee to be equally yuck.

As for ignoring work buffet – WOW! Pat yourself on the back. I can avoid what is not there, but cave in when I have it under my nose, such is my limited willpower….

• posted by Flash21
    on

Fellow squash drinker here! I’m ok with plain old water but much prefer something with flavour. I always have sugar-free squash and it would be awful to give it up! Some things are not negotiable ๐Ÿ™‚ I have managed to cut back on tea to only one or two cups a day – sometimes with milk, sometimes without. Coffee is vile! Also not sure I’d have been able to resist a buffet so all credit to you!

• posted by topcac
    on

I’ve been a sugar free squash drinker all my life and really don’t like water. I’ve found that lime cordial is the lowest in carbs – so 0.1g per 250ml made up as directed (and I always make it weaker). I drink my first litre of the day as squash because it’s easier to get it down me, then the rest of the day drink water and herbal tea – it doesn’t seem to affect my cravings so I’m sticking with it!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Mmmm I love lime cordial! Although currently working my way through a Tropical Twister flavour from Robinsons ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Thanks everyone. I started week 2 today and have continued with the squash and also drinking more herbal tea to try and cut down my skimmed milk consumption. I successfully ate out for a lunch and a dinner last week and it didn’t hamper weight loss so I was pleased. I’m going away this weekend so looking ahead to the pub menu where we will be eating so I can plan what I will eat. I don’t trust myself to have a break yet, too early days. I can honestly say that I haven’t missed anything yet. I know I will and I will undoubtedly slump a bit at some point, but right now I am enjoying feeling energised. My skin seems to be brighter and the bags under my eyes are less puffy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.