Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

First time posting positives:

1 It’s a bank holiday weekend here
    2 Had a lovely email from a team member
    3 Got my 4 of 4 gym sessions done this week

• posted by alliecat
    on

Goodness, I forgot #3! Both of my moth orchids are out of bloom, but thoughtful husband
    brought home another, and it’s loaded with buds 🙂 This fellow is over 2′ tall!

Doodledootoo, that takes commitment! Very nice to see you on this thread 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

I love nastiurtium flowers, Allie – and the leaves … and pretty much every other herb. I grow quite a lot myself and a vital part of many meal preperations is to go out and pick something. So positives today …

1 Fresh herbs! They make everything better.

2. I’m going to a family party tonight. It’ll be nice to see everyone, and as there are some I’ve not seen since starting the BSD, I’m expecting some reactions.

3. It’s the weekend!

• posted by Ellem
    on

My positives for today
    1. I am sitting in the garden, with warm sun and a gentle breeze – perfect weather.
    2. Today is the last day of my 800 8 weeks; I’ve enjoyed it so much and now looking forward to trying out intermittent fasting, and finding what works for me.
    3. Just read Allie’s post about mint sprigs in her water, so I picked a sprig and tried it, and it’s lovely.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Elle

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So many lovely positives being posted, but as I was a bit out-of-sorts yesterday, I didn’t attempt to post any myself, however thought I would see if I can contribute a few myself todY.

1) Scales a little kinder this morning. Had planned not to weigh myself until Monday, but found I’d automatically hopped on the scales and read the result without really thinking about it.
    2) Fine weather continues, doors and windows open.
    3) Everything ready for grand daughter’s visit. They should be here around 19.00 – can hardly wait!

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

A bit late but positives for today:
    1 Family came to visit
    2 Sitting outside in the sunshine
    3 Laughing with my Dad

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome to this thread doddledootoo! My positives for today:
    1) Enjoyed a gorgeous seaside sunset last night. Who needs the Caribbean when you have the North Sea and this summer??
    2) Grateful for trees and the coolness they give.
    3) Appreciating the morning walks with our holiday dogs. Good to be moving more – despite the heat.

Have a lovely day one and all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m hoping that with so few people posting positives means they are out in the sunshine appreciating the positives proliferating in their lives. I’ve certainly been trying to enjoy the positives in my little corner of the world. – here are a few:
    1) Day with grandchildren yesterday, out in the sunshine and enjoying time together.
    2) OH is managing to pace himself workwise, keeping a day or so free each week – at least at the moment.
    3) Think my new policy of getting up and moving about a bit more is beginning to pay off – fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is enjoying lots of positives and that some of you will have time to post a few of them here, a they help to keep us all in a better mindset and looking for the positives in our own lives.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny you are right we need to keep reminding ourselves of the positives in life and not stressing over blips on the scales etc. So here we go with my three…..
    1. Spent a day cooking yesterday which strangely enough doesn’t make me eat more, just makes me happy.
    2. Wayward shower controls have been repaired so no more fear of being scalded or frozen.
    3. Had a long chat with a friend which is always nice.
    I promise to pop in here more often.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ladies, I do agree that recognizing the positives in real time leads to living a life of
    gratitude…That and being able to laugh at ourselves regularly 🙂
    Another 33C degree day forecast this side of the pond, so although it’s only 7:00am, I’ve
    already been out for a walk. I hate going, but feel so virtuous when I get back! I focused
    on taking full strides and good posture (for abdominal muscles) instead of just shuffling
    along! Lots of dog walkers out at this hour.
    #2 After my 22hr fast yesterday, I enjoyed every morsel of my dinner…Swordfish in a
    lime and coriander marinade and broccoli. All pleasure centers in my brain were working
    overtime!
    #3 It’s still early, but I know I will find one! Will be checking back later, to see what
    others are up to.

Allie

• posted by Ellem
    on

Mmm the swordfish sounds lovely.

My positives
    1. Work was crazy busy but I got it all done
    2. It’s a lot cooler, so will be easier to sleep
    3. Day out with my (adult) daughters tomorrow – lots of talking and laughing in store

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Thanks for the welcomes.
    Reasons to be positive
    1 Got out of bed early enough to go to the gym
    2 Cooked up a storm this evening
    3 No stomach pain (!) – long story

• posted by Ellem
    on

Doodletoo, your positive number 3 on 5th August made me smile and cry at the same time. Just gone 2 years since I lost my lovely father. Miss him all the time, but I have many happy memories of ‘Laughing with my Dad’. It’s so important to treasure those moments, as you clearly do.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Weather here can’t quite make up it’s mind today, but little g/daughter and I had a trip out this morning to do a little shopping – just meant we had to keep putting on and taking off our jackets.

Other positives:
    1) G/daughter thrilled to have spent her holiday money on a new note book, pens, pencils and pencil case – she loves stationery and can’t have enough note books etc.
    2) My oleander from Turkey is going great guns and is covered in new shoots. Really pleased with it.
    3) Finally got around to getting some plants to put in a fence hanging container, which I have been meaning to populate for awhile now – looks really good and I’ve placed it so it’s easily seen from the living room.

Hope others are finding positives today too.

• posted by alliecat
    on

The oleander sounds beautiful, Sunny! What color did you select? We’ve been to Bermuda
    several times, and they bloom in profusion there. Stunning! How nice for you that your grand
    daughter has been able to be with you for an extended visit 🙂
    The thought of needing a jacket sounds heavenly to me! Another 33C, 97% humidity
    day here…I hate August. With the central air con blasting away, my windows are fogged
    over! I’m enjoying going out for brief periods though, to tend my orchids out on the
    balcony, and nurture the new shoots that are coming along nicely. If I can bring them
    back into flower for a second time, I will dance a jig!
    Have a great day, everyone!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It took me most of visit, to track down the oleander I wanted – it’s a creamy colour with quite a yellow center and it’s a double flower, very pretty with a lovely perfume. I’d seen this type occasionally before, but they’re not common. Didn’t want the standard pink or red, which proliferate widely in Turkey.

Sounds like your orchids are doing well and unlike you, I’m sure they are enjoying the humidity!

Good luck with the self hypnosis. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny your oleander sounds wonderful…. enjoy!
    So I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment but I am determined to find three positives……
    1. Had a wonderful Thai meal out and as a bonus it was BSD friendly!
    2. Out for afternoon tea today at friends house…… sandwiches and cake …. but had to say …. so sorry should have mentioned etc.etc, felt really embarrassed, strange thing is that we eat out often together and they hadn’t noticed we don’t eat simple carbs! Just reinforces the fact that people really do not notice if you are eatimg bread etc. or not?
    3. Just 6days till I get my ‘roots’ done and my oh my do they need doing ! So literally counting down the days
    Love this thread!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Doodletoo, just like Ellem, your positive number 3 on 5th August made me smile and cry at the same time. It’s almost 20 years since I lost my beloved dad, but we laughed together almost non-stop during his lifetime, and I still laugh with him now, remembering all the fun times we had.

So, triggered by this, my first positive is that I am smiling right now just thinking about him, lovely, lovely man that he was.
    2. Heavy rain overnight, and virtually hearing the garden heave a huge sigh of relief.
    3. Just been for a lovely 6 mile walk along the coastal path with o/h and, despite the fact that we have been having heavy showers all day, we managed to dodge every single one and come home bone dry!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi. Like Verano, I love this thread. Though sometimes finding the positives feels more like an act of will. Mind over matter. Anyway…
    1) didn’t mind getting wet with the dog this morning!
    2) took a positive step on the post-Brexit path by getting a resident’s permit to 2028. Although it may get withdrawn, I feel a bit more secure.
    3) Like Theo, my garden is happy with the rain, A huge natural sigh of relief.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Lovely post, Theodora.

My positives today
    1. I made meringues for 20 people without licking out the bowl. Funny thing was that I became really aware of how the mixture felt, so soft, and cloud-like. Usually I dont notice how it feels as I am too busy noticing how it tastes!
    2. I got a month’s free membership to the idmprogram – Jason Fung and Megan Ramos, so all the time I was cooking I was listening to the videos.
    3. I cooked the creamy fish bake with celeriac mash and it was totally yummy!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have had a couple of really busy days with our little g/daughter, so haven’t spent much time on the forum recently. She is on an outing with her Dad at the moment, then they are popping back to pick up her things and then off home for a few days, before we do the grand children’s camping w/e next week.

Anyway, thought I’d report some positives:
    1) Garden is enjoying some proper rain – i.e. gentle and persistent. Apparently we are due for more rain tomorrow too (just hoping next w/e will be dry!).
    2) Looking forward to OH and I having a leisurely evening meal ‘a deux’ tonight – snails, veal escalope with a mushroom cream sauce, maybe some cheese if we are still hungry.
    3) Enjoyed baking mini cupcakes with g/daughter yesterday. She made an excellent job of decorating them.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Smart “multi tasking”, Elle! The only way I can absorb podcasts is with my eyes closed! I don’t think that
    would benefit me much in the kitchen 🙂

It’s just occurred to me that I’m excited about cooking again! Having the farmer’s markets in full swing this
    month is a good part of it, I’m sure..
    #2 It’s finally cool enough to open all the windows and let in some FRESH air! I feel as if we’ve been
    living in a refrigeration unit full of stale air for the past 10 days..
    #3 Husband is preparing dinner tonight!! He has a few specialty dishes, sole dugliere for this evening.
    Here’s the amusing part….He bans me from the kitchen, and absolutely won’t reveal his methodology on
    what he actually does out there! I could be eating anything 🙂
    Sunny, the veal sounds heavenly! I haven’t any in ages. Enjoy your feast.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The veal was delicious, Allie and so quick and simple to cook too. Really enjoyed the snails too. Tonight I’m making carbonara pasta for OH, so I will probably have the sauce with green beans and broccoli. OH very rarely cooks and his culinary level is omelettes or spaghetti bolognaise.

The garden appreciated the rain over the w/e, even if we didn’t and already the grass is starting to green again – amazing how quickly it revives when conditions are more favourable.

Some positives for today:
    1) Starting to get the upcoming camping trip organised – lists are being complied!!
    2) This morning I spent time getting the village hall booking stuff in order again, now that it’s back in my hands. Most of it is in okay order and just a couple of knotty bits to unpick.
    3) Very relaxing w/e with OH.

Hope others have been having a wonderfully positive time too.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thought I’d put this thread at the top again, to try to encourage everyone to look for the positives. Mine are:

1) There is a beautiful stripy rose in bloom in the garden, which has an amazing fragrance – making a point to take a deep breathe of it every time I’m in the garden.
    2) Weather forecast for the days we’ll be camping, looks a little better than it did at the beginning of the week, so we might get away without any rain – fingers crossed.
    3) Packing for the camping trip under control.

Probably won’t get a chance to post positives for the next few days, so I hope others will keep this thread populated with what is good in their lives right now, no matter how small.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’d love to see that rose, Sunny! I believe in this thread too, and will try to do a better job of getting it to
    the top of the list each da!. There are so many interesting topics up for discussion at present, that there
    are days that I don’t make it all the way down the list. (Maybe I should try talking a little less 🙂 ) I hope
    you have a marvelous camping break with your grandson (grandchildren?) Where are you off to? Fingers
    crossed that the weather co-operates. True to your username, I think you’ll bring the sun with you 🙂

It’s been rainy, gloomy and very humid here for 3 weeks, and it had started to affect my mood, I think.
    I had a nice long chat with Kazzi the other day, and it completely restored me to “walking on sunshine”
    once again. All’s right with the world…Skype is a wonderful thing 🙂
    #2 – I’ve just taken my first waist measurement after 2 full weeks of IF, switching up each day from 16:8 to
    18:6 to a few days of 22:2. Down 1/2″, but it could also be that I’m just pulling the tape measure a little
    tighter ? Ha! Weight remains the same, which is perfectly alright with me.
    #3 – I had my first piece of low carb pita bread (60cal. 6carbs) last evening, as part on an Indian inspired
    chicken dish that I haven’t made in over 2 years. It wasn’t half as nice as I remembered it! Hooray. Can
    the bread demon be truly gone?

Back later to read your positives!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi just thought I would pop in here and cheer myself up… not sad but this thread always makes me smile. Have a lovely weekend Sunny and I truly hope it is!
    Allie I very, very rarely eat any bread but a few weeks ago I bought a round hand made sourdough and a similar rye bread with sesame and pumpkin seeds. I cut each one into four quarters and froze them. Last night we had a friend for dinner so I defrosted one of the seeded quarters. I had one tiny inch piece of crust and it was delicious!
    So my first positive….
    1. Enjoyed just a mere morsel of really good bread and didn’t feel the need for anymore.
    2. Hair cut and coloured today so now feel like a ‘real’ person again.
    3. Looking forward to seeing my family over the weekend.
    I’ll try and post again this week but if I don’t make it have a good weekend everyone and thank you for making me remember that there are always ‘positives’ if you look for them.

• posted by alliecat
    on

ALWAYS, always good to hear from you V. 🙂
    I don’t know if this observation is appropriate for this thread, the one on fasting, or NSV’s! I do see it as a
    positive though, in my attempts to master IF. I’ve always had mild hunger, unlike a lot of others who don’t
    seem to have this challenge. I’ve discovered that loading a lot of ice cubes into my coffee or water seems
    to make a huge difference in extending my fasting periods! This suggests to me that it serves to anesthetize
    my stomach in some crazy way?! Made it to 23:1 yesterday. I did some reading on stomach ph awhile back,
    and discovered that an overly alkaline environment actually caused the growling, NOT acid! It seems counter
    intuitive, I know…. By drinking a glass of still or sparkling water with 1-2 TBS of unpasteurized apple cider
    vinegar (the kind with the “Mother” in it) 30 min before a meal can be a real help in making it through to
    dinner time! Anyone else tried this? I’m just hellbent on getting to the prized 24hrs! I just thought I would
    mention it for any others who believe in the IF concept, but find it a challenge at the moment.
    Positives abound, we just have to seek them out 🙂

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Struggling a bit. But three positives are easy to find:
    1) Had a lovely sunny walk in the dunes this morning with a good friend and three lovely dogs.
    2) Enjoyed a good chat over coffee with a neighbour. And tried to get my head round Spotify!
    3) A healthy tasty dinner of cod and cabbage. Sounds very school dinner-ish, but it was delicious!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hauling this thread back to the top – come on folks, where are all those lovely positives?
    Congrats on the 23hrs fast Allie – great achievement. caronl, I remember some years ago, having a big thing for fish with spinach and loads of lemon juice, cod and cabbage is not so different from that, so I’m sure it’s very enjoyable.

My positives for now are:
    1) Good weekend camping with the grand children, which was voted as a success by all, so mission accomplished.
    2) Started knocking the front garden into shape this morning, pruning lilac and rose bushes that have gone over for the season.
    3) Lovely stripy rose still blooming and still smelling just wonderful – cut a bloom and put it in water next to my chair in the living room, so I can take a sniff at will.

Come on folks, tell us about your positives no matter how small.

• posted by caronl
    on

OK SunnyB here goes!
    1) Enjoying the sunshine in the garden without the baking temperature. Just right! And watching all the greenfinches and great tits on the feeders.
    2) Wallflower and choisya are blooming again. I must learn one of these days which plants I should deadhead when. It seems to be a matter of chance at the moment!
    3) House is almost ready for family visit this Friday. Looking forward to seeing them all.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m here too! So for my three……
    1. Having a wonderfully relaxing time away …. maybe too relaxing!
    2. Spent a few hours with my beautiful granddaughter. They grow up far too quickly.
    3. Haven’t forgotten the BSD principles even if I’ve not been staying with them 100%.
    Actually looking forward to getting back to the full on ‘regime’ again later this week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

A couple of positives for me,
    Spent the day with a couple of friends making 2 runs down to a local fruit business which has a batch of timber to sell. – Bought all the timber I need to rebuild one of the sheds at a good price. – Its all stacked up outside my house now so will be a constant reminder to get on with it and a clear design for the new building popped into my head last night.

• posted by Sumo
    on

1. Spent an evening with my Granddaughter, took her to her first football match, on corporate hospitality, she said she enjoyed the game, but very noisy when the home team scored.
    2. Spent Saturday with Grandchildren, twins 9th birthday
    3. Had a family photo shoot by a local lake and ruins, dating back to the times of Drake, Raleigh, Howard and Hawkins.
    4. My weight has barely changed in a month but the inches have, holding my nerve for pounds to start dropping?
    5. Bank holiday weekend approaching, time for my last big heave in the garden.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see a few more of us posting positives. caronl – gardening is still a bit of a mystery to me too, but I do my best and still see some good results. V, can there be anything too relaxing? JGwen – you always seem to be so industrious, it makes me feel quite ashamed! Sumo, how lovely to have a family photo shoot and best of luck with those pounds dropping soon.

So, some positives again from me:
    1) On the topic of plants, the oleander I brought home from Turkey, is full of new shoots and looking really healthy.
    2) Got all the admin up to date for the village Hall.
    3) Baked some cup cakes for OH and next door’s cat, who stole one I’d left out for OH yesterday – he ate the entire thing and then curled up and went to sleep! Made today’s cake with olive oil, just in case he fancies another!

• posted by Verano
    on

Well just want to add to all the positives with a few of my own. Sunny yes too much ‘relaxing’ can end up with straying too far from the principles!
    So number 1…..
    1. Home again safely and sooooo looking forward to my own bed …. nothing like your own bed!
    2. Journey back on M6 was trouble free unlike our outward trip …… stuck for 3 hours, three miles in three hours!!! Result of an accident in the area with no hard shoulder but I guess that’s motorway travel these days.
    3. Just enjoyed an Indian meal …. the last supper …. before my restart tomorrow! Have to say my meal was quite BSD friendly just some chicken tikka with chickpeas and spinach, lovely but now time to get back on track!

• posted by alliecat
    on

It’s so very very important to read everyone’s positives today. My husband has just received notification that the
    college he has been employed by as a professor for the past 16 years, is closing it’s doors, 2 weeks before
    the Fall semester is about to begin. We are reeling from the shock, as the severance package is a deplorable
    4 months…. What a lovely anniversary gift, as we hit 49 years tomorrow. 🙂 I’m still going to get up and try
    on my wedding dress, regardless of all the other chaos. Life really can turn on a dime, can’t it? I’d love
    to see your fabulous garden, Sumo, and all of your wonderful imports from Turkey, Sunny! Hopefully I’ll be
    back tomorrow, when I can get my head around all the changes that have come, unbidden, into my life. 🙂

• posted by caronl
    on

So sorry to hear your news Allie. Sending a big hug and wishing you as good a day as possible tomorrow to celebrate your 49 years, despite such a horrid shock.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am sorry to hear your news Allie, I know you were looking forward to sending your bearded one back to college. – While the severance package isn’t very good, will they also be putting in the effort to help staff find alternative employment?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Oh Allie, what a shock for you both! It will no doubt take time to take it on board, but hope you will still manage to celebrate your special day tomorrow. Eventually, it might be that this unexpected event proves to be a catalyst to something positive for you both. Big hugs to you both, you’ll be in my thoughts.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh Allie,
    I am very sorry for you and your husband — I know it is absolutely shocking to get that news — if you recall, my husband lost his long-time job this past April and I still remember that it literally took my breath away. It took me a couple of days to get over the shock — so be gentle with yourself and be careful because it is a vulnerable time. I set the cutting board on fire when I blanked out and lit the wrong burner on the stove — this is a stove I had cooked on for 30 years and never turned the wrong knob. I think my brain just wasn’t working at all. So take care.
    It’s going to get better — and there are many positive parts to having a husband retired — (my OH is 65 so he decided not to look for another law job (he’s probably too old to find a general counsel position again).
    There’s a lot more good stuff but you are in shock so just take comfort knowing that will pass. There are a lot of complex feelings around the loss of a job so don’t judge yourself. It is very much like losing a loved one and especially when it also affects your finances..

• posted by alliecat
    on

You have all been so kind and compassionate this evening, and I’m so grateful for you all. Thank you 🙂 Of course
    I remember the shock both you and your husband received in the Spring, Julia. It’s just awful to feel so powerless,
    isn’t it? I don’t know if your husband defines himself by his profession, too, but I know that I have to handle all of
    this with grace, and keep my fears carefully hidden 🙂 You are all wonderful, and I completely appreciate it!!!
    Tomorrow will be a new day…The wedding dress awaits?

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – I was so sorry to hear your news. What a horrible shock for you both and it seems especially cruel as it came just before your special day.

You will definitely handle this with grace. Hope you can still enjoy your special day today.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Alliecat
    Bad news, the way forward is not to focus on what was, look at what can and will be.
    I thought my job defined me, when I looked hard, it did not, and my family defined me.
    I took a big hit to leave the Maritime industry after 36 years, to take a completely different engineering job, but at home.
    I kept looking back at the high profile work I used to do, and took interviews, all would have seen me back on the road, the high profile, money and stress would be have been there but not my family.
    My OH finally let her feelings be known, she said we can live on the lesser income and we can enjoy life together (means she has a slave on tap to do garden) I had to accept a lesser profile and look at what I needed to do.
    I now work a flat 37 hour week give or take a minute or two, I have done 5 hours overtime in 7 years, the work is at a level I was doing as a sailor 35 years ago, I am now a family man not defined by work. I have been asked to do some strange below my grade work where I am now, they asked if that was ok as others had refused. I asked will my pay be the same they said yes, then no problem. I now find having been here 7 years they come to me with all the crap no one else wants to do, what shocks them I do it with a smile, quickly and professionally, my last one was to be finished by Jan 2019 I finished it in 3 weeks, they have no idea of my abilities and most of my past, I now leave it that way.
    Alli don’t hide your fears stand shoulder to shoulder with your man and take on the world together, the same as you have done, be strong if he is anything like me, stubborn not wanting to take a lesser role, kick him where the sun don’t shine he may need this more than once.
    1. Positives the more concrete in the garden the less I need to cut
    2. Alan Titmarsh (TV Gardener in the UK) said a weed is a flower in the wrong place, uumm I have lots of flowers in the wrong place
    3. I will be officially a senior citizen on Monday
    4. Do I care that I have flowers in the wrong place? NO
    5. Family Photo shoot was to set an historical marker for the family. we do this every few years or so.

• posted by Verano
    on

Oh dear! Allie. What shocking news for you both. Life sometimes throws skewed balls at us which leave us feeling that things will never be the same again and that that will be catastrophic. But, I am a firm believer that ‘something good comes out of everything’. I’m sure that in the not too distant future you will both look back to yesterday and see it as a blessing in disguise. Please try not to stress too much and in the meantime try and enjoy your anniversary today. 49 years is no mean feat, as I know only too well! If you have managed to get to this milestone, with all the hurdles along the way, then you will overcome this latest one as well. Chin up! Sending you only good wishes.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Allie, just wanted to wish you and your bearded one a peaceful and tranquil day of celebration for your 49th anniv. I have a feeling ‘the’ dress will actually be a little large after all your efforts. You have been constantly in my thoughts and I’m sure it will be a few days before your world begins to level again, but try not to allow yesterday’s news spoil today for you both. Once things begin to settle, I’m sure you will both be able to see a way forward, but it will take time, so as Californiagirl says, be gentle with yourself and allow yourself space to assimilate the new order of things. Meanwhile, know that your friends here are holding you in our hearts.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – such lovely posts from your friends here, I feel quite choked on your behalf reading them. 🙂
    I hope you and J get out of the apartment today – leave all the crap behind for a few hours, get down to the river for a walk and a sit in the fresh air, take a picnic… worry about tomorrow, tomorrow!
    Huge hugs and much love, my friend. xxxxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Aww, Allie, my friend. I have only just seen your distressing news – I actually came on to wish you a happy 49th wedding anniversary. And I really hope you can still achieve that.

You and your Bearded One must be feeling as if you have been kicked in the stomach, and I’m sure no mere words can make you feel better. But what I hope may help is all the love that is obviously being sent your way at this difficult time. You were bemoaning the fact that you would have to embark on any “adventures” alone because of o/h’s work commitments, so just treat this as an adventure you are embarking on together. Life will not be the same, but after all his health problems over the past couple of years, it is surely not the worst thing that you have encountered, so I know that you will pull together and get through this too, and maybe become even stronger because of it.

Stay strong and positive, my dear friend, and try to enjoy your special day – and maybe the big “trying-on” too. Hugs to you both.

My positives are

1. Yesterday, whilst out sailing, we spotted a dove floundering and panicking in the sea, where obviously a dove has no right to be! We heeled over and managed to scoop him out, brought him home with us (obviously thoroughly saturated but safely contained lying on a towel in an empty wine crate) and allowed him to dry off overnight in the safety and warmth of our utility room. We took him into the garden this morning, hoping he would fly (but with a back-up plan of taking him to a wild bird sanctuary 30 miles away in Mousehole). However, after surveying his surroundings for 5 mins, he suddenly lifted off, circled our house twice, dipped down (in my mind at least, to say thank-you!)before soaring up into the big blue beyond. Quite made our day.
    2. My younger son arrives to stay for 5 nights this evening, so really looking forward to seeing him.
    3. Whilst it’s not sunny and has, in fact, turned quite chilly, there is a stiff breeze blowing so all my washing dried in record time, and it’s perfect for an afternoon sail.

Have a good day everyone, particularly you Allie. xx

• posted by Sumo
    on

Theodora
    Well done on your bird rescue, we saved some Gold finches a few years back in our garden, OH said it came back every year to nest?
    30 Miles from Mousehole, cannot be that far from Plymouth, we will be down near the lizard (Mullion) in a few weekends time, to celebrate my 60th

1. Its Friday on a BH weekend
    2. looking forward to family time away, all 13 of us, and 2 dogs, in Kernow
    3. did I mention its Friday

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all and especially Allie. I think we should make this a bumper edition day in Allie’s honour…
    1) Just back from a lovely dog walk, where a planned meeting with a friend turned into a meadowful of wagging labradors, golden retrievers and doodles. What is it about happy dogs that just makes you smile?
    2) Just found Luvtocook’s excellent moussaka recipe, so am heading to the market to get some ingredients. The open market always makes me feel as if I have gone somewhere exotic on holiday – lots of choice and some quite weird looking items.. Luvtocook where are you??
    3) Guests arriving later today so looking forward to some lovely catching up.

Have a lovely long weekend all UK members, and a good weekend to the rest of us!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Guys
    Theo – lovely dove story and quite symbolic too!
    Sumo – great positives and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your earlier post about your career change. I found it very uplifting! 🙂 Wishing you and your family a lovely long weekend.
    Caron – Same to you! Haven’t seen Luv around for quite some time… hopefully she’s lurking! 🙂
    My positives are:
    1 – looking forward to being on holiday next week after 10 weeks since my last one!
    2 -It’s Friday and 2 hours 30 mins to go until home time!
    3 – catching up with all the bsd posts I’ve missed recently.
    Wishing you all a lovely weekend as long as you stay off the motorways!
    Kazzeexx

Please log in or register to post a reply.