Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sumo, your positives 1 & 3 made me smile! Have a lovely family w/e – sure you will. Theo, enjoy your time with your son.

Some positives from me for today are:
    1) Have almost finished putting together next month’s village newsletter.
    2) Made arrangements for my folks to visit us next w/e – looking forward to seeing them.
    3) Quiet w/e ahead, which is no bad thing. Might have a meal ‘a deux’ one evening.

Allie, I hope you and your man are beginning to assimilate the unexpected news about his job and maybe make a start at mapping a way forward.

Hope everyone has a positive w/e and that those in the UK enjoy this long Bank Holiday..

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh My! What kind and thoughtful messages have been posted here while I’ve been out of WiFi range for the
    past day. I read them to OH today, and he commented on the fact that a real community exists here, that
    we’ve all built together, and how this thread is so very much more than a website for weight loss support.
    I’ve internalized everyone’s comments, and feel so much stronger for having done so. I know that when I
    decide to tell others in our day to day world about the changes that have taken place, there will be an avalanche
    of questions, i.e., what will you do now, etc. I’m really not ready for that yet, but am so grateful to have all
    of you to talk to! Sumo, sharing your experiences was terribly helpful….Time for a new mindset, I think 🙂

Theo, I adore the dove rescue story! You must be an expert at tacking, to be able to pick up the befuddled
    bird 🙂

Anniversary day was happily spent…ancient dress fitted everywhere, except the blasted bingo arms!
    Still holding out hope for autophagy to do its thing though.

Time for a positive or two….Another stunningly beautiful 22C day, with just the first hint of Autumn in the
    air!
    #2 We’ve been unable to spend time out at the beach on Cape Cod for the past 16 years because of husband’s
    teaching schedule. I just realized that I can make reservations now! The last 2 weeks in September are
    the most beautiful time of year….the air is crisp and the summer tourists are long gone with the kiddies all
    back in school. Lazy Indian summer days to look forward to 🙂 I can hear the ocean waves crashing on
    the beach, and see the moon riding high over Nauset beach…to be followed by a stunning sunrise. All this,
    from our bed!!!
    #3 I’m truly blessed beyond measure to have your friendship – each and everyone of you!

Enjoy the lovely bank holiday. Wishing you beautiful weather!

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie , see you already have your first positive on your new journey, Cape Cod, has to be more fun than ‘teaching’! There will be many more ‘positives ‘ to come. So pleased the ‘dress’ still fits, well almost! Fortunately I no longer have mine because there is no way I would be able to fit into it!
    Theo I also loved your story and good to see you posting.
    And so for my positives…..
    1. Just feeling really relaxed now that I have printed all my travel stuff out now. Life was so easy when I used to book a flight, pack a few things and go! But hey, I had the easy life for nearly 15 years and, if I’m truthful, it was getting a little boring … so now on to pastures new!
    2. Living a ‘relaxed’ BSD life at the moment, sticking to the principals but not weighing or counting…. that will come when we get home from our upcoming trip.
    3. Loving the rain, rain and more rain that we are having. It is so well timed because we had the grass ‘fed’ yesterday so the rain will have done it the world of good.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Allie, wonderful to see you still here and still posting – and so upbeat too. Already you are seeing positives again. So glad you had a lovely anniversary and are starting to make plans for a break at Cape Cod – it sounds idyllic and should be very restorative for you both.
    Verano – have a great time away, don’t remember where you said your were travelling to, but I’m sure you will make the most of it, no matter where you are going.
    My OH is not so happy with the rain, as he wants to change the clutch in his ancient Land Rover, laying under which in the rain is not so much fun.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

A few positives for today:
    1) The oleander has FINALLY been planted and I’ve done a bit of pruning of the old buddleia.
    2) OH is making good progress on his Land Rover project – new clutch installed this morning.
    3) Helped a neighbour with an online task this morning and they are going to join us for a drink tomorrow evening.

Hope you are all having a good w/e.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good evening all. I need to find some positives otherwise I will be swamped by negative thoughts today. I am so far away from my lowest weight now that it would take very little for me to just say ‘ oh to hell with all this diet nonesense enjoy life’. But, I know it deep down it wouldn’t be an enjoyable life. So for my three …..
    1. Today during torrential rain my roof leaked and water came through my lounge ceiling … not good, but the positives…. we manage to get hold of a friend who was able to fix our leaking roof within an hour….
    2. No damage to speak of and the ceiling is drying out.
    3. Should have been out for lunch but leak led to cancellation…. not good …. but the positive is that I had a far more healthy meal at home!
    Hope everyone can find positives despite life’s skewed balls!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Verano! Well actually, for a “bad” day, that was pretty darn good! Getting the leak repaired in short order was brilliant and if you think about it, NOW is the perfect time to discover a leak — if it had happened later in the fall, there would have been no tradesperson available to fix it because everyone else would have discovered their leaks! So that’s a great outcome!
    A year ago on Mother’s Day (in mid-May in the US), we had a skylight cover just slide off the roof and open a gaping hole in the ceiling of our upstairs bath! The frame had apparently been warped by the big snow that winter and the glass just hit the ground and shattered. From some miracle we were able to get a guy on Mother’s Day, in the rain, on this crazy steep slippery metal roof and he put a sheet of plexiglass on it and TAPED it to the roof. Do you know that silly repair lasted through another eight months before they could finally repair it? I still think of how kind he was to come and save us on a day when he was probably enjoying his own family!
    Our threads have gone so quiet, right? I am missing everyone and I’m a bit worried that some of the negative postings have dampened others enthusiasm. I want everyone back!
    Don’t give up — no matter how far it seems — you will only regret it later — can you just get a bit of discipline and stay “in place” until your BSD mojo comes back? I know I go through phases where I am more “able” — and I know how mad I get at myself if I let it go. You’ve been so successful and focused for so long — this really IS for the rest of our lives — but it’s so healthy and it is life affirming — coast if you have to, but don’t give up.
    My positives for today are 1.) I had a wonderful dog walk at Sugar Pine State Park 2.) good conversation with my daughter about family history and 3.) gave the little dog a bath, so she is white again!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Verano, CaliforniaGirl and all of my fellow BSDers
    I’m still here! It’s a bank holiday here in the UK today so for many, it’s the last chance to get in a mini break before the end of the summer school holidays! So thats probably why it’s so quiet.
    Verano, I feel your frustration with yourself, but hopefully just getting it written down here and having slept on it, you will feel renewed determination this morning. 😁👍👍 I’ve lost and gained the same 5 lbs all YEAR so you are not alone. To blow it all is unthinkable though to me. His time last year when I first began this WOE, I still remember how miserable and desperate and ill I felt. I read back through my journal to remind myself and that always strengthens my resolve when I feel wobbly! My first goal this time last year was to get into my favourite winter coat and I did that. I have another winter coat that I’ve had 13 years and it hasn’t fitted since then, which I bought when at my lightest of 12 stone 6 lbs after a year stint losing with WW. Well that is my new goal, and I’m 50 lbs away from getting back into that coat, so my goal is to get into it by 1st January 2019! Cmon, V, KOKO!

So my positives are…
    1 – Skyping with our dear friend Allie later today!
    2 – the temp today is due to rise to 70F from 52F yesterday and no more rain for the rest of this week hopefully. Am on holiday this week at home.
    3 – had my family over yesterday for lunch and I made a chilli and everyone had cauliflower rice including my brother!
    4 – 3 people have told me in the last week, ‘you’ve lost loads of weight now, Kaz’ when in fact the scales have hardly moved all year. Perhaps I should measure myself as I’ve not done that for months!
    So time for me to also get back in the saddle for the next stint to Xmas!!
    Have a good day!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi CaliforniaGirl, Verano, KazzUK Yes I’m still here too!. It has gone a bit quiet, but I suspect the boards are going to get a bit busy as Christmas comes round the corner. Like Kazz, I’ve been thinking back a year – last August I was feeling so fed up with myself, had regained almost all the weight lost with WW, and approaching a significant birthday with sinking heart. Today I am 3 stone lighter and feel 10 years younger. Yeah!! And Verano you were and are one of my leading lights, so chin up and KOKO…. Kazz please give Allie a virtual hug from me when you skype.

Positives today –
    1) It should be dry today so my guests will enjoy Amsterdam to the full.
    2) I have some time to get the house straight and do the washing.
    3) We are eating more or less BSD friendly food. The wine is creeping in, but I can tackle any damage on Wednesday. Good to know, as ever, that this way of eating works.
    Have a good Bank Holiday to those in the UK. Happy Monday to all.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you, thank you, thank you girls! Once again you have all come to my rescue and helped me think things through properly. I have come too far to give up now. I think the huge mistake I made earlier in the year was to abandon and destroy my old journal. I thought I had reached a ‘permanent ‘ new place and could start over with the aim of losing 10% of my new starting weight. Huge, huge mistake.
    I have followed the main principals of BSD, so am not completely lost, but I have had quite a disrupted year, one way and another. Mostly good disruptions but some stress too, so whilst these are reasons for my behaviour, they are not excuses. I do need to get fully back on track and will do when I get back from my trip. I just need to focus on how far I’ve come for the moment and not dwell on the slip ups.
    Again thank you for being here and let’s hope we can get an injection of enthusiasm back into the threads.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So glad that others have given you the boost you needed, to rethink your situation V! Like others, I appreciate your frustration, think we all go through phases of stagnation and seriously consider just ditching the whole thing. However, hopefully there are few of us here who would completely turn our back this way of life. Enjoy the rest of your break Verano, recharge your batteries and come back with full vigour and we’ll be here to cheer you on.

Some positives from me for today:
    1) Pleasant evening with our neighbours – and thankfully the couple of glasses of wine don’t appear to have caused too negative a result on the scales this a.m. Still a smidge under original target weight.
    2) OH is in good spirits having managed to get the gear box back in his Land Rover.
    3) Found an earring I’d mislaid some time ago, in a bag I’ve not used for at least a year – happy days!

Like others, I hope that the threads will busy up again, once the summer months are done and everyone starts their build up to the festive season. Meanwhile, keep looking for those positives – as Verano found, they can often be lurking in the shadows of more negative events, we just need to seek them out and recognise them.

• posted by Sumo
    on

1. Saturday: Spent 6 hours in the garden, digging out some old plants and putting into pots, levelling sod, laying membrane and covering with bark chippings with my 11yrs old grandson, he loved swinging the Monk Pick and sledge hammer, nanny was a bit Health & Safety?
    2. Sunday Spent 5 hours in the pouring rain, getting all the building junk out of the garden and fitting a new garden gate, I was wet but still enjoyed it, amazingly no voluntary help? Thank god for battery powered tools.
    3. Monday I was 60yrs old, Daughter, son-in-law & 2 grandsons took me out for the day to Buckland Abbey, I have lived in Devon nearly 40 years and never been there, lovely day out. Whilst we were out OH and youngest son sorted out garden for garden party with all 13 of us OH, Me, 3 children & 6 grandchildren. Grandchildren to all piled into hot tub. Then I realised why 1 & 2 above had been required?
    4. OH made a very good pulled pork in a slow cooker, with salad, I had a jacket Spud and a piece of cake now back to being a looser, I found that 3 stone was a good health mile stone, and a good sports massage on my legs, I can now walk better than I have done for years.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy belated Birthday, Sumo! You are a demon in the garden 🙂 Does your O/H know how lucky she is?!!

Thank you for cyberhug, Caron. It means a lot 🙂

Positives for today….

I’m blessed to have had a 2 1/2 hr. Skype marathon yesterday with Kazzi, and I’m feeling so much better as a result.
    You are an angel!
    #2 I’m so excited..I followed Sunny’s instructions for moth orchid care, and the new stem is about 7″ long,
    and has 4 beautiful new buds forming. I only have 3 in total, and I would be just thrilled to have 2 of them
    in bloom at the same time 🙂
    #3 I’m still reaching for it…!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’ve got it!!! The handmade birthday card I sent across the pond for Kazzi’s birthday arrived on time, and
    didn’t get mangled in the post! Apparantly the trip takes 9-10 days!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So good to read some positives from you Allie. I’m pleased that in the midst of the turmoil you are still appreciating some plus points. I’m glad your orchid is doing well and will soon be flowering again for you. Phalaenopsis are quite tolerant and with a little care they keep going and producing more flower spikes.

Few positives from me today:
    1) Our new bed base has arrived – just waiting for the mattress to turn up now.
    2) OH drove his Land Rover on a public road for the first time this afternoon – he’s so chuffed t have got the project to this point at last.
    3) Have spent today editing photos from our long vacation and edited most that needed adjusting have been done now. Really pleased with the results. Still have a few to do tomorrow, but it shouldn’t take too long and then I can get them on the electronic photo frame and print some for framing. Might even have a couple printed up on canvas.

• posted by Verano
    on

As usual all your positives bring a smile to my face. Really pleased that you are finding ‘positives ‘ in the midst of adversity Allie but onwards and upwards, there will be a silver lining.
    So I’m packed, fat, lots of clothes not fitting, no surprise there, but still ok! BUT, I do still have positives …..
    1. Made a pan of soup from all sorts of random vegetables left in the fridge and it was good!
    2. Have lots of soup in the freezer ready for the autumn…. or is that a cheat and just an add on to no:1!
    3: Watching ‘Bake Off’ … pure relaxation for me!
    Will be in touch as and when but in the meantime keep POSITIVE!!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

So very nice to know where I can find you each day, girls!
    Just running in for a quick moment to wish you a relaxing and enjoyable trip, V. Stop by when you can…
    You will be missed until your return 🙂 Autumn can’t happen too soon for me, either. I hope the holiday is
    exactly what you need. xxx

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

I guess I have a couple of positives to share today.

Its been a fairly hard couple of weeks. – My main source of income is a holiday let I had a group in for a week who created a very unpleasant atmosphere during their stay. – Its funny, announced I saw an article today reporting research that goats prefer to go to photos of people who are smiling rather than people who are frowning. – They should have just have asked any farmer who has a holiday let on their property. We see it with some groups where all the animals prefer to graze or be as far away as possible from the holiday let, and with other groups they are hanging around the gate wanting to say hello and the people don’t have to be outside the building to have that effect. Anyway, I have spent the last week dealing with a problem where the nasty people staged photographs to try to avoid paying the full price for the holiday let. – They made the cooker top, grill pan and BBQ dirty and then took photos trying to claim they were like that when they arrived, created a pile of bags containing dog shit and dirty nappies outside the front door and have tried to complain about that. Its still all up in the air and I could end up nearly £2K out of pocket if they are successful with the scam. Apparently its becoming an increasing problem, like the people who go on all inclusive holidays to Spain and then submit claims for upset stomachs they didn’t have.
    I have managed to ride out the wave of negatives and not turn to food for comfort. Mainly thanks to the brilliant group who were in the holiday let when I out what was happening. Only the universe hasn’t done with me yet. I took my old dog to the vets today, he has been loosing weight and choosing not to eat over the last couple of months, I thought it could be due to the heat but hasn’t improved. They are doing blood tests in the hope of finding something they can treat, otherwise its likely to be the big C. The vet was doing the “he’s done well to stay fit and active to this age” line even as she was examining him.

• posted by Sumo
    on

JGwen sorry for your troubles, there are always those will to try and scam something for nothing.
    Looks like you will need to take your own photos, and let your guests know that due to previous scammers you have to take photos prior to each let, for the insurance company?
    Sorry to hear your dog is not doing well, it is never an easy time, we are on cocker spaniels number 6&7 at the moment, and say never again after each one?
    1. Week almost half gone going away Friday for 4 days
    2. Grandkids looking forward to family time away
    3. Granddad looking forward to see how much mischief he can get up to with the grandkids?
    4. Granddad will probably we in trouble with own children by end of small break, but it will be fun?

• posted by caronl
    on

JGwen What a horrid experience for you. It’s a pity that there can’t be black lists for tenants like that. And landlords are so vulnerable these days with “reviews” on social media. I sincerely hope that justice wins out. And thinking of you and your dog, hoping that it is something that can be tackled easily. Well done for not seeking comfort in food. Keep strong!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Sorry folks, broke off the message before I listed the positives —
    It doesn’t matter what that mean group achieve I work from home so I can encourage him to eat a little and often and have enough cash in the bank to afford good meat to tempt him to eat more.

I have a wedding to go to at the weekend and I was debating about going out clothes shopping or spending some time dusting off the dresses in the wardrobe to see what I can get into, now I have another reason for avoiding spending time and money clothes shopping which has never been the top of my favourite activities.

And just to be greedy on the positives. Instead of curling up on the sofa with a bar of chocolate and box of tissues, we are both out making the most of the sunshine, me doing work around the yard while my old boy is happily running around supervising the horses as usual. (When you are collie you have to spend hours at the gate to their field just watching what they are doing. )

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen – how abominably some peoples behave is, it’s shocking! Think Sumo’s pre-hire photos are a good idea and why not go through a complete check with incoming customers and have them sign to say they are happy all is in order, prior to handing over keys. But I’m guessing in some respects this is all secondary to what is happening with your canine friend. Will be hoping that the news is good and you can enjoy more time together. Well done on not turning to food for comfort through it all.

Sumo – sounds like you are going to have a wonderful family time over the w/e. I’m sure you and the grand children will enjoy your high jinx together and that you will all treasure the memories long into the future.

Positives from me today are:
    1) Finally finished the photo editing – phew!
    2) After much effort, OH has managed to get the Aga to run properly again. It threw a fit earlier in the week and had to be turned off and it’s taken some considerable effort to persuade it to run smoothly again.
    3) Needed some new slippers, so instead of buying some, I have started wearing a pair of beautiful all leather shoes I purchased in the souk in Marrakesh two years ago. Wish I’d pressed them into service sooner as they look fantastic – so much more attractive than bedroom slippers – and they’re wonderfully comfortable too.

Hope everyone is experiencing something positive today.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, what loathsome human beings! There is no end to the treachery that people are capable of…I’ve fired
    off an email to you, so keep an eye out for it. I think Sumo has an excellent suggestion 🙂

Hi Sumo! Have a marvelous time, and revert to being a child again…That’s what grandchildren are for!

Sunny, you always leave us with great visuals 🙂 I’m very curious about those magic slippers! I may be
    mixing metaphors, but I’m seeing you with them on, sitting cross legged on a flying carpet 🙂

My positives for today are very mundane…I managed to remember ahead of time to get my groceries
    ordered before the upcoming holiday 3 day weekend. Kind of the “last hurrah” for the Summer called
    Labor Day, before everyone gets back to the business of returning to school and getting back to work.
    I usually forget, and end up with an inconvenient delivery time, 7:00pm or the like!
    #2 My container garden on the balconey hasn’t thrived in the summer heat, but the chrysanthemums and
    ornamental cabbage are just arriving at the market, so I’m really ready for an update. Can Autumn be far
    behind?
    #3 I’m carving out some “me time” this afternoon to manicure and varnish my nails, if nothing urgent
    intervenes. It allows for a lengthy down time while they dry between coats. As a painter, I can’t really
    justify lollygagging about in the nail salon, when I can do a better job of it myself. I can only take sloth
    so far, before I feel guilty!

Great posts today, my friends 🙂 I’m back on “my game”, so will see you all tomorrow!

P.S. Hi Caron! xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Allie- the slippers/shoes do have an eastern ‘magic carpet’ something about them. They are flat mules with a very pointed toe, in tooled buff and cerise pink leather. Good to see you are coming out of the funk last week’s new threw you into. Enjoy your ‘me time’, you deserve it and have a good holiday w/e.

JGwen – I read your positives post on email notification, but it doesn’t seem to be present above. Anyway, hope you will be pleasantly surprised when you start trying on the dresses in your wardrobe. If it becomes necessary to shop, at least you will be seeking something in a smaller size and I’ve found that certainly makes clothes shopping a bit more agreeable!

• posted by alliecat
    on

🙂 🙂 🙂 Sunny! Those sound soft and supple and wonderful…I guess I was picturing something with curved
    up toes, along with harem pants! Taking this to its logical conclusion…Belly dancing!!! Imagine how much
    fun and great exercise that would be? I know, I’m off on a silly tangent today, but having fun with you, none
    the less!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

They are beautiful shoes, but sadly without a turned up toe and palazzo pants as opposed to harem pants. Belly dancing? Mmmm … did think about doing a class once, but was too self conscious about the belly. Wouldn’t be such a problem these days though. Love that you are so much jollier again, tripping off on fanciful tangents and having a bit of fun.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi guys
    JGwen, I really hope your collie is off his food for a not too serious reason. I am so naive, I had no idea that these types of scammers exist! How utterly disgusting! At least if they try to leave a negative review, you can respond for others to see. Can you counter claim defamation or something or do you have to put this down to experience? I feel most put out on your behalf, JGwen.
    Well, my positives today…..
    1 x met up with family and was out all afternoon and found a new fruit and veg shop just opened in Alcester where all the veg and fruit is grown on allotments in the town! Lots of lovely real fresh wonky veg! Bought a large array of tomatoes, some colours I’ve never seen before! A black tomato amongst the selection!
    2 x went for a dive out to Evesham to check out my cousin’s new house which she moves into in a couple of weeks.
    3 x bought some garden tools with bday money I had, stainless steel spade, fork, loppers, shears, secateurs,
    pruning knife, snow shovel and two very large pots for growing veg! It was wonderful and far more exiting than buying clothes!
    Sunny, love the sound of your magic slippers! Allie, good to see you back posting in your usual way! Sumo, have a great weekend playing! Caron, do you live in Amsterdam or is this a holiday for you all? It’s been 20 years since I went there for a long weekend. Never to be forgotten! 😁😁
    Kazzeexx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I think you had an encounter with “heirloom” tomatoes today, Kazz! Green, yellow, orange, red and purple…They
    are a funny shape, but oh, what flavor!!! Do something wonderfully simple with them! There is something here
    called a “caprese salad” (Italian) that consists of nothing more than great tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozzarella,
    olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt + pepper, and torn basil leaves. Try it, my sweet, if you get the chance. Not worth
    doing without spectacular tomatoes, though! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! We’ve got an outstanding
    farmer’s market that sets up on Sundays, so I’ll be in hot pursuit of some of these beauties then, if I can get
    the bearded one organized early enough 🙂 xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Sending positive thoughts your way . . .for your rental issue to be sorted sooner rather than later and hoping the sunshine warmed you both for a soothing relaxing nap to rejuvenate the souls 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, friends! We’re on the cusp of the weekend, and I hope everyone has plans to enjoy it outside! The first
    leaves on the wild grape vines climbing up in the trees at the edge of the woods are turning yellow…and my
    thoughts are turning to my favorite time of the year, Autumn. New England is a riot of color in the Fall,
    and my positives for today are that I’m planning day trips to enjoy this spectacular time of the year. Time
    was always at a premium when O/H was teaching, and while I’m cautiously optimistic that he might secure
    another position, it might not happen. Life is changing, and one of the things to look forward to are mid week
    outings 🙂 I’ve got one of those “big” birthdays arriving in mid October, and if I don’t plan something special,
    it won’t happen! Something pleasant to focus on….
    What plans do you all have for the weekend?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello everyone! Sorry to hear of your problems JGwen. All the positive make me smile as usual. In sunny Spain at the moment and it’s really a bit too warm for me. Roll on the autumn, as you say Allie ,it’s my favourite time of the year too.
    Lots of positives really ….
    1. Eating such incredibly good BSD friendly food.
    2. Walking much more as I don’t have my mobility scooter with me. My decision and it’s the right one . My OH thinks I should take the easiest route but I know I need the exercise. In fact yesterday walked 250yds before needing to rest for a minute or so. For me that really is amazing!
    3. Just enjoying ‘the moment’. Sometimes I think we are so busy we forget ‘the moment’.
    Have a great weekend.’

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done, Verano! You’ve come a long way with your mobility in the last few months! 👏👏
    My mum, proudly announced to me yesterday, that she can now climb onto her compost heap and bounce up and down on it like she used to, pre stroke, 2 and a half years ago! Her balance is so improved! That’s great, mum, I replied, but please wear your necklace alarm just to be on the safe side! It currently lives in the fruit bowl!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I still pop in occasionally to get inspiration and this is my favourite thread.
    1. I walked up to my son’s school this morning to do my volunteering in the library, while I was there the rain poured down outside but when it was time for me to walk home the rain had nearly stopped and I made it home almost dry. I wouldn’t have minded (much, it’s a bit too cold to be pleasant) getting wet anyway – with home as my target I could change clothes straight away, and NSW is in drought so the farmers and gardens really need it.
    2. I made some beautiful chicken broth to fill the gaps while I get used to lower calories again, leftover roast chicken bones and I took the trouble to sauté the vegetables in a little olive oil which really makes a difference to flavour. And adds just a tiny bit of fat.
    3. We had all the family over for Father’s Day yesterday, I enjoyed the company almost as much as the beef rib roast!

• posted by caronl
    on

1) Pleased to see so many signing up for the new zoomers group starting tomorrow. I feel a real boost from seeing the keenness of newcomers, and look forward to sharing their success!
    2) Enjoyed a good shop at the open air market – now stocked up with red peppers, aubergines, courgettes, avocadoes etc. Roast chicken on red peppers with roasted aubergine has gone down very well tonight.
    3) Looking forward to a trip to the UK at the weekend and seeing my parents again. Not sure my mother is up to bouncing on a compost heap Kazz!

JGwen how are you getting on with your awkward guests. Any news on your dog’s health??
    Verano many congratulations on your increased mobility. You must feel very chuffed.
    Allie good luck with the birthday plans – sounds an excellent reason to spoil yourself!
    Natalie thanks for the tip re chicken broth. Mine always tastes insipid, but I shall now have another go.
    Thanks to all fellow posters on this thread, Sunny B, WoodDuckie and all. Really enjoy reading good news!

Have a good week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

So very nice that we are keeping this thread current. It’s my favorite, too, Natalie! There is something
    decidely seasonal when we switch into September, even though it’s just as hot in New England as it was
    yesterday, 33C. It’s the last quarter round up going into the countdown to Christmas. I haven’t fallen into
    the clutches of the evil white carbs, but some seasonal fruit, i.e., melon and tomatoes have crept in, with
    a bit of an uptick on my scales, so it’s time for a serious refocus. I’m looking forward to doing so with
    all of you 🙂 Thank you, SueBlue, for forging on with the Zoomers thread! Have a wonderful evening, all.
    Back tomorrow!

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

This is hopefully a constructive thought rather than a positive thought. I have been struck over the last couple of weeks by the confusion newcomers face when they join this site. We have so many threads with dates, some current, some historic. Some more active and some less. Some look current but are two or three years old…

In some ways it doesn’t matter, because we tend to roam all over the place. But I wonder whether it might be useful to ask the moderators to add the relevant year into the title of the thread, so it makes clear when they started? We could also put the year in new zoom and plan threads so that it is clear they are current.

Maybe I am imagining the problem, but I thought I would float the idea!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I am so with you on this caron! It’s lovely to see old friends returning to previous threads, and meeting up with
    each other. However, how does one recognize that these aren’t current, and how do newbies find their way to
    more active threads? Dates alone are confusing….when no year is attached to them. I just want everyone
    who has found their way to us to receive all the support they might need 🙂 I don’t think that you are imagining
    a problem.. I care deeply about our community, and will have to give this issue more thought. Thus far, I’ve
    only attempted to redirect everyone to the weekly or 4 week thread, but it doesn’t really solve the problem,
    does it? It must be so confusing! I think an old Aug. 29th thread and one entitled Oct. 1st are the confusing
    ones. Maybe the moderators will have a constructive idea? It might be worth pursuing…I just love the fact
    that you’re such an active member here, and I do watch for your posts! Your kindness puts a smile on my
    face 🙂 xxx
    Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Caronl, thank you for asking what is happening, the saga with the problem guests is still on going, because they booked through a holiday company its down to waiting on the holiday company to act and they seem to be passing the buck between them as to which member of staff gets to deal with her. – They are sitting pretty because they have received the money from the problem guest, and haven’t passed any of it on to me yet. – I have found out that this is a new trend for this year and I am not the only holiday owner who has been hit in this way. – Trip Advisor is now recommending hosts record all conversations with guests so that hosts can report all similar cases. ———————-

Its been a bit of a rollercoaster with my old dog. The reason i took him down the vet in the first place was he was having a coughing fit 4 or 5 times a day and had changed from “inhaling” a can of dog food in one go ( it didn’t touch the sides and chunks were swallowed whole), to having a couple of mouthfuls at a time and eating less than half a can over the course of whole day. I was concerned by the amount of weight he had lost.
    Dogs get lungworm from eating something that slugs have crawled over or water slugs have been in and as a farm dog there is plenty of opportunity for that to happen. Its what the symptoms seemed to match, he had responded to one round of wormer, but the coughing had come back again.

It was a real shock when after the vet examined him she was talking about a range of more serious problems, and operations to remove teeth and while he was out to take a series of x rays. But first running a full set of blood tests and putting him on a course of anti inflammatory and antibiotics and a dose of wormer. – Is this what its like for people America where the health care professionals get paid based on the treatments provided? – I was in complete shell shock and worried sick about him (not about the £600 they were planning to bill me for all the investigations). –
    The good news is that the coughing fits have reduced and he is a little brighter. – The blood test results are all in a normalish range so now we are down to three possibilities. 1. It could be the big C but he doesn’t have any obvious lumps, just weight loss. 2. It could be that he isn’t eating because of a tooth or throat problem, so soft food and work to maximise the cal value of what he does eat and see how we go, and if still worried take him back to the vets again for them to have another look. Or 3. I was right. and instead of spending £160 on blood tests and medications, all I needed to know is that you have to treat for lung worm every month and dose of wormer he was given is the reason the coughing has stopped again.

I got some very funny looks from someone who saw me loading my car up after a trip to the supermarket at the end of last week who I have only met a couple of times and are chiefs that I have been trying to convince on being vegitarian and eating low carb. – There I am buying a wide range of cooked meat, mince, and high calorie food. 🙂

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi JGwen. Glad to hear that you dog’s coughing seems to be improving. Let’s hope that you are right and that it is something relatively straightforward. It would be good if a repeat deworming does the trick. Bad teeth can be a surprisingly common source of eating problems. One other thought is a grass seed in the dog’s throat. As you probably know, they have a nasty habit of migrating to tricky areas and causing problems. My guest dog got one in the corner of her eye after a walk in the dunes last month. I was so relieved to spot it in time, Anyway fingers crossed that the recovery continues.

Had to smile at your supermarket story. Now the Welsh valleys will be alive with the gossip that you are a closet carnivore!

• posted by Sumo
    on

JGwen
    I use this for my dogs.
    Take a look at this one, not as cheap as some others but once a month and it cover a lot of things?
    Advocate Spot On for Dogs
    A treatment for fleas and their larvae, roundworm, hookworm, heartworm and ear mites. It also treats lungworm, whipworm, biting lice, sarcoptes and demodex.
    Look on line
    https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/advocate-spot-on-for-dogs-250
    This is one supplier we have used.
    The vets tried to get me to change to another flea treatment, changed their minds when I said one of my stupid dogs eats slugs and snails?
    A lot of supplies of vets medication do so on license to the vets, for up to 5 years, before they can be sold in general pet stores, I find vets try to push the ones that are vets only, I am cynical they probably get a kick back?
    For years we never had pet insurance, but for our last 4 dogs we have had insurance, thank god we have, one cost over £3,000.00 some rare blood disorder?
    I also feel that vets see all as a science project to investigate, and soon rack up the costs with x-rays, scans and tests?

Hope this helps.

• posted by Natalie
    on

JGwen I hope the dog and tenant situations are resolved happily.
    Caronl and alliecat I agree that the titles of those two threads are confusing, especially this time of year. They look like new groups when they aren’t at all. But the titles probably can’t be changed now.

1. I had quite a funny time today searching online for a handbag that I wanted to buy, that I’d seen ‘in person’ in a department store but had wavered about buying due to the price. But with my husband’s blessing (more or less, that’s how I chose to interpret his response) I looked at the designer’s website, the department store website, other stores, Amazon, ebay, even Pinterest, couldn’t find it anywhere. After several hours I called the store and had a chat with a knowledgeable staff member. Turns out that the bag I thought I remembered was actually a mash-up of two different bags from two different designers – I had combined the colour and shape of one with the embellishments of the other! No wonder I couldn’t find it…
    2. My teenage daughter used to spend a lot of time off in her bedroom, and before that she was always daddy’s little girl, but lately she’s started spending a lot more time with me; showing me funny posts on Instagram, talking about school, watching TV. And if she wants help with her maths homework, she comes to me (that gets right up Tim’s nose!) It’s the closest we’ve been since she was weaned.
    3. I just re-read ‘A Little Princess’, I love classic kid-lit!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry to have been absent for awhile. My folks have been visiting with us for a few days, so I haven’t been online much and haven’t had a chance to post on the forum. JGwen – hope you furry friend is still making good progress and that he will be fit and well again soon. Allie and caronl – I’ve always thought it strange that when a new thread is kicked off, there isn’t a date tag along with the name of the person starting the thread. It would certainly make it clearer if the thread is an old or new one. On the other hand, if you look at Recent Posts, it gives one an idea of whether or not the thread is active and really, that is perhaps more important – take this thread for instance.

No problem at all finding positives to post right now …
    1) Lovely to spend time with my folks over the last few days. They are going to come again for the festive season.
    2) My Mum – 83 – put me to shame in our garden and helped me to knock it into shape – I say ‘helped’ more like I was her assistant! All pruning done, containers tidied and replanted where necessary, bulbs put in for spring including layered bulb planting in a new container. It’s all looking wonderfully tidy.
    3) Made a batch of Hot and Spicy Plum Chutney ready for the festive season.

Hope others have had a good w/e and are enjoying their day – looking forward to reading lots of positives from you all.

• posted by Natalie
    on

1. I ducked into the library just before it closed and grab the books I had reserved, including the CSIRO Low-carb Every Day cookbook. CSIRO is Australia’s science research facility (federal government, but independent, not sure how that works!), and they’ve been putting out very popular evidence-based diet plans and cookbooks for about ten years now. The most recents ones are low-carb and healthy gut based, so they are right on top of the latest science! I haven’t had time to read it yet, but I see that almost all recipes are under 10 g of carb per serve, or at worst under 15g. Except the pizza!
    2. I just used their calorie calculator (actually in Australia we officially use kilojoules but my brain only understands calories so I convert) and they say to lose a kilogram a week I should eat 900 calories a day. Not far off the BSD plan, so recipes in the book should work well. (Although their minimum guided plan is 6000kj or 1428cal per day! That is about my maintenance level. A nutritionist friend of mine has always felt the official allowance for activity level is too high. I get x1.3 just for sitting on my butt all day.)
    3. I ordered a new filing cabinet online today, our old one got dented in the move nearly three years ago and is difficult to wrench open, and it will be delivered tomorrow they say. Very fast service!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s been sunny here so far today, which is much appreciated after a dull cloudy day yesterday. Was very pleased with my Plum Chutney in the end – took much longer to cook down than the recipe said, but it tastes great – just as well, as it made more jars than I thought it would.

Anyway, some positives for today ……
    1) This morning, after some hair-tearing, I managed to reconcile the village hall hire income and get the spreadsheets finalised for the last four months – phew!!
    2) OH asked me to book a table at the local pub for this evening which I’ve done. I know I can get a good BSD meal there and we need some time for ourselves having had visitors with us for several days.
    3) Have completed Christmas gift buying for one grand daughter. Have plenty of other gifts to get of course, but nice to have a completed one ‘under my belt’.

Hope to see lots of others posting positives later today.

• posted by alliecat
    on

How is everyone today??! Mother Nature doesn’t seem to know that it’s September, so is delivering another
    hot and humid 31C day 🙂

Sunny, your chutney sounds great! What do you use for the spiciness? I’m thinking ginger or red pepper
    flakes? What do you serve it with? Can it be frozen? I’ve got 3 qts. of ratatouille taking up residence in
    my freezer! Good for you, getting a start on the Christmas shopping 🙂

Positives trip off my tongue with no effort at all today!
    1. We were able to get reservations at our favorite beach spot, Cape Cod, for a mini vacation getaway
    commencing Sept. 18th. The Cape is an arm of land that extends into the Atlantic, off the coast of
    Massachusetts. I’m fairly certain there is no WiFi there, so I fear I may have to go cold turkey 🙂
    2. I wear several signature bracelets, which a bead artist makes for me, i.e. crocheted Chek glass beads
    with a handblown lampwork bead as an accent. I found the perfect color combination to send off to
    a very dear friend, because the artist is willing to mail it out of the country! It’s suppose to be for a
    Christmas gift, but I know I can’t wait until then to mail it 🙂
    3. Had a really great phone conversation with my brotherinlaw regarding the employment situation…
    and where we might consider moving to if O/H is unable to secure another position at one of the
    local colleges or universities. He travels extensively, so this call came from Japan. He has become a
    true brother to me, and I always turn to him when major changes affect my life. (When O/H was
    desperately ill last year, he was the one that called me twice a day, wherever in the globe he happened
    to be…Oddly, he’s married to my youngest sister, but I rarely heard from her) I’ve gotten him interested
    in intermittent fasting!

Have a positive driven day, all! Sumo? Caron? V.? So nice to see you back, Nathalie!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great news about the Cape Cod break, Allie – you guys so deserve to take some time out and it’s no bad thing to have a break from tech for a while – it gives you an opportunity to refocus. Really pleased you have some one you can discuss the situation your OH’s work issue has thrown you into. It’s important to have someone who understands both of you and can offer constructive advice. Sounds like you’ve been doing that for him too, with the intermittent fasting!

Good guess on the spices I used for the chutney, they were flakes home grown red chillies, some finely chopped ginger, crushed pink peppercorns (not so much for heat but for flavour) and cinnamon. See no reason why the chutney wouldn’t freeze, but it was made with vinegars (cider and malt) and maple syrup (rather than cane sugar), so it should store very well for many months in jars. OH tried some of it in a ham and cheese sandwich today and really enjoyed it, but I think it will perhaps be better after a couple of months in storage.

Really pleased you had no difficulty finding positives today, Allie and hopefully others are experiencing a positive day too. May be someone will share theirs as well soon.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re so kind, Sunny..It’s a pleasure to catch up with you each day 🙂 🙂 🙂 I look forward to it!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Lovely to read all your positive news today. Enjoy your well deserved mini-vacation Allie. Cape Cod will be lovely. SunnyB I love the chutney idea – although plums vanish far too quickly in this house!

Natalie I hope you enjoy the new recipes. With apologies to non Little Princess readers, do you think the lascar knew she was the Little Princess from the start, given that she speaks to him in his own language early on? Either he knows and doesn’t tell (weird) or he doesn’t catch on (also weird). Has always bothered me!!
    1) really enjoyed moussaka tonight. Perhaps gearing up for…
    2) our Greek holiday next month, the planning for which we finished today. Yeah!
    3) only got drenched once in the woods today – even if it was an hour-long soaking! At least there wasn’t a lightning strike.
    Happy Thursday!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Caron, Greece sounds fantastic!! Is October the perfect month to be there? It must be splendid to
    take quick hops to countries with different cultures, so close at hand! We have this impediment called
    the Atlantic Ocean always in the way!
    Do you think we can prevail upon Sunny to share her plum chutney recipe? I’m intrigued by it too, can
    almost taste it in fact 🙂 I’m imagining it with roast pork tenderloin….It’s close to the dinner hour here, Hahaa!

See you all tomorrow, positives in hand 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.