Over the week 23 line

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yes, I know – it should be 24 weeks, but I’ll be away on holiday next weekend. I’m not sure about Internet connection where I’ll be, so am opening this clubhouse a week early. Hope nobody minds the early opening!

Today I’ve lost another 2 pounds, making a total of 60 pounds. My fasting blood this morning was 4.2 (I no longer test every day as it seems to have stabilised in normal levels).

For the record, and for those interested in such things, my measurements when I started on 19th December were (in inches) 50:49:54.5😱 Today they are 42:36:43. My dress size has dropped from approx 24. Now I’m in size 16 tops and 18 bottoms, though will very soon be needing size 14 tops and 16 bottoms.

The medics have always said I should be around the 9 stone 7 pound mark, so that means I still have 32 pounds to go.

The prospect of losing 6.5 stone (91 pounds) was always daunting. During years of painfully slow weight loss at various slimming clubs the goal was never really in sight because of time it was taking.

But on the BSD I really can now see the finishing line drawing closer. 😃 It’s still a long haul. A marathon. But I committed to this for however long it takes.

So, this new clubhouse is officially open and I look forward to meeting you here ☕️😃🌻👋

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Get the coffee on, although I will be a while, 17th week starting Monday, still I’m in for the long haul too! See you in a bit.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Coffee will be on. Might even manage some low-carb goodies😃

Always welcome to visit and have a look around before you move in. See you soon.

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s fantastic, well done Lynne, many congratulations! – and now you have your holiday to celebrate your achievements

• posted by JCH187
    on

That’s amazing well done, when I first looked at this website to see if it was something I could do it was people like you that made me believe I could x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi a Frog and JCH187. *waves*

Thanks both of you.

How are you getting on JCH187?

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lynne,

Congratulations. You know all of us from the other club houses will pop in, take a look around, get some friendly advice and support and from time to time crash the club house, re-decorate and party with you to celebrate your achievements.
    Best wishes.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Switzerland

Thanks. 😃 Visitors always welcome. Just leave the place as you would wish to find it please 😃

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone

Weighed this morning at 11 stone 8 pounds. (62 pounds gone) Just to get a baseline before my holiday.

Won’t be counting calories while I’m away, but following the principles of the BSD.

Will post when I can – should be ok tonight, at hotel, but tricky in Italy as friends have no wifi and I can’t take over their computer!

Please look after the clubhouse for me until I get back.

*waits for taxi to train station*

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Have a great time Captainlynne!

• posted by thepolly
    on

Just phenomenal results, captainlynne.

Have a lovely holiday. You deserve it for eating well in sometimes difficult situations where you had little control over the menu.

Polly x

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Aaaaargh Lynne !!!
    I just move into the 16 week house and you move out and into here – is it the aftershave?
    Joking aside, you just continue to inspire me every day, I keep telling the OH I wanna be like you (I feel a song coming on)
    Many congratulations and have a brilliant holiday.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Have a wonderful time captainLynne, we will miss you!

What is all this about changing club houses??? I feel like I shall never catch up with the big kids…oh well… back to sneaking in when no one is watching😄😉

Imogen🌻

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It’s got a green door Imogen
    I feel another song coming on
    Lynne and Judith dancing the night away while we shiver at the keyhole 🙁

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Bill

You will certainly get in long before me😄 still something to aim for…am in this for the long haul so hope to see you there in future.
    How you doing today? Not long before your holidays…hope you are going somewhere great! Have fun!

Imogen🌻

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone.

Arrived at the airport hotel after lots of running around in London and carrying case up and down lots of flights of stairs. Had intended to bring food from home but changed my mind after a change of plans for the day. After checking out options at Kings Cross Station I bought a salad at Pret: chicken, pesto and buffalo mozzarella salad. 313 calories and 5g of carbs per salad box ,
    without the dressing, which is in a little pot😃

Early start tomorrow, so breakfast at airport.

Bill and Imogen, you’re welcome in any clubhouse at any time. The key is under the mat😃

• posted by Imogen
    on

Thanks Lynne,

Will leave as we find😃😄😉😊

Good job finding food ‘on the road’, as travelling can prove awkward for meals…really impressed at how organised you are!

Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday. Enjoy your time with your friends.

Imogen🌻

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Imogen

It really is a challenge to find low carb food when travelling. Pret showed the nutritional values on the shelf edge which was a big help. Everywhere else it would have been a guesstimate.

I’ve checked out breakfasts ready for morning so I’ve an idea where I’ll head once through security 😃

I like a cooked breakfast – sets me up for the day and I don’t normally eat again until evening. That routine will probably change while I’m away though! No cooked breakfasts for the next few weeks😱

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    there are branches of Leon at Heathrow They do amazing poached egg with ham hock & truffle gruyere sauce.
    180 calories, 0.6 carb, and delicious
    A couple of years ago I worked really close to a branch – I used to grab one for breakfast too often – along with their tasty wholemeal toast dripping with butter – but the egg pots are great on their own.
    have a good flight

I got stuck with lunch at a motorway service station today – thankfully there was an M&S, and I had prawns and mango

• posted by captainlynne
    on

*waves* from Italy

Quick check in. Had breakfast yesterday at a Wetherspoons at Heathrow. Egg, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms and tomato. Ignored sausage and said without the rosti (or toast as substitute)
    Avoided the ‘snack’ on the plane – ham croissant and orange juice.

Friends amazed at weight loss and how much better I can walk around. Asked what I can eat and did I want to go to supermarket 😃

Bought sliced cooked meats and cheeses. Last night they had a veg curry with couscous. I ate Mortadella, Gorgonzola with mascarpone and cherry tomatoes. Yum!

Today is a public holiday and apparently we’re visiting a famous gelato shop😱 Friends say he might have sugar-free! Will let you know later.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Great stuff! You must be chuffed to bits with your weight loss? It was a great response from your friends and how lovely that they took you shopping instead of expecting you to eat their sort of food, if you keep to the bsd principles you can only do well.
    I have twisted my knee so am a bit limited in what excercise I can do, (not that I do much) I swim and walk, walking is ok for a bit then it starts to ache, my knee, that is! I have also got a ‘virus’ great thing these viruses! You have no idea how you got them and no idea when they will go! Oh well, onwards and downwards!
    Have a great time Lynne
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Sorry about your virus and knee😱

Watched 6 people eating huge ice creams yesterday😱 We checked the menu & asked waitress but nothing was sugar free! Just had sparkling water😳

Visitors today. Last night friends made a Devil’s food cake. After lunch 4 ate it. While I had my black coffee!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My friend’s mother-in-law visited yesterday – she’s type 2 diabetic on Metformin. Asked how much weight I’d lost. Then it was how 😃. She said she may have to start eating more healthily, cutting down on bread, pasta etc. 😃 But she also said about people eating what they want and just taking the tablets. Still, hope a seed has been sown!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne – buongiorno –

Let’s hope your friend’s mother-in-law has a long think about what you said. You’re a great example of the positive outcomes of the BSD which must have some impact on her.
    Enjoy your holiday.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Hi Lynne

I’m doing well thanks, end of second week and 11lbs lighter. Eating habits changed beyond recognition and the new routine is becoming habit now 😊

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Switzerland. Buongiorno 😃

Asked my friend just now why it was brought up last night. Lady in question has been thinking about more healthy eating. She once lost lots of weight when she had long term depression. Now widowed and on her own all day so sits and eats cake. Maddie (my friend) noticed her mil’s hands and feet swollen😱

Be interesting tomorow, eating at the mil’s home!

Ciao *waves*

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi JCH187

Great results😃 Isn’t it amazing how quickly it can become a habit?

Sounds like you’ll not be returning to old, bad, habits😃

• posted by JCH187
    on

Yes it is. I have mild IBS and was a bit worried about the dramatic change. At this point it hasn’t improved it but it also hasn’t made it worse, I’m hopeful in time it might help.

Being prepared is the key for me, I have made soups and recipes from here and my freezer is stocked, there’s always now something I can have rather than convenience food.

I did my food shop this morning and there’s now probably a third of the supermarket I don’t even go to where the bread, biscuits, sweets and crisps are!!

• posted by M.
    on

hi everyone and it is so encouraging to read everyone’s stories.
    Some advice please catainlynne & anyone else who has been doing the 800 for a while.
    I am at week 15 (after my first 8 weeks I decided to continue for another 8 weeks.) I have lost 28lbs (plus another 14 that I had already lost beforehand.) I want to lose another 42lbs (so half way there!) what do you think would be better to keep going for another 8 weeks on the 800 or take a break for a while (how long?) and go on to the 5:2 but low carb? All thoughts gratefully received.
    (please note I have also posted this in a separate topic so I will hopefully get replies from people not reading this thread.)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi M

I’ve just kept on going on the 800, low carb and will stick with that until I get to goal (another 28 pounds approx). That’s what suits me😃

But others may give different advice.

Do you have any reason to stop the 800?

• posted by M.
    on

Thank you – that is good to know. My concern is what it does long term to the metabolism., to be on such a low calorie intake. After reaching my goal, if I increase the calories to a modest 1200 I fear my body will have adjusted to 800 and I am going to end up piling weight back on? (Not what any of us want!)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My thoughts are that when I get to my target I think less about calories, focussing just on carbs. Like I’m doing now on holiday. And being careful with portion sizes. Hashimoto has done that already. Others, including Bill, have focused on carbs rather than calories with great success.

• posted by Frog
    on

hi Lynne – hope that you’re having a great holiday, from your other posts it sounds as if you’re doing brilliantly with sticking to BSD

M – congratulations, 3 stone is an amazing achievement.
    As to the best post target options – you”ll only find out when you get there!
    If you do start gaining weight again on 1200 calories, maybe try 5:2, or a variant of that – you don’t have to put back on all of the weight you’ve lost on BSD before you do something about it. Big thing for now is to get to whatever target you’ve set yourself.
    If you’re finding 800 easy, I’d say stick with it, as Lynne has – if you find it a real struggle, experiment with 5:2 and see how that works for you.

I read somewhere around the time I started BSD something along the lines of “weigh yourself regularly, and if your weight is up by more than a kilo, have a say or two of eating less to bring it back in check” – I know that may sound perfectly obvious to some people, but it was a real ‘light bulb’ moment for me.
    I’m really trying to see this not as a diet, but the new normal in terms of eating and living more healthily. I’ve always been overweight, even as a child, and have lost count of the diets where I’ve lost some weight only to pile it back on again; as I’m getting older, I am finding it harder to lose weight, and am becoming more aware of the impact on my health, so need to avoid yo-yo dieting of the past. And with Yo-Yos, they always end up at the bottom, with the string fully extended – until you make the effort to wind it up again,

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Lynne!!
    So glad you are doing well on vacation! We just got home yesterday after 2.5 weeks on ours and we both still lost weight and inches during vacation except the last week when we were stagnant. However, I already lost another pound since getting home.

Just focus on the carbs for sure on vacation and it really helps and you will
    Feel so proud afterwards that you stayed on it.

So glad you can walk better!!

Hugs💜🌷

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog and HappyLife

Great to feel the sun again😃

Yesterday we were out all day & visited a trattoria mid afternoon. Friends ordered: anti pasti for all, pasta for them. Then explained what I could eat. So I had some salami, ham and cheese (antipasti) then pork in a cream sauce. Scraped most of the sauce off. Nothing else until a mini frittata and slice of ham just before bed.

Visiting friend’s family now. Lunch was osso bucco. They had rice. I didn’t. Then a little well-aged Parmesan (very little!)

Soon going to visit someone else. Another meal😱

Great results both of you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

We ate out tonight. Antipasto (meats and cheeses) followed by lamb and salad😃

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Had a really nice tea tonight. Garlic fried, add anchovies and courgetti. Just before serving add capers. Serve with a poached egg.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi captainLynne,

That sounds delicious, may try that for dinner tomorrow…just finished an omelette and salad😊

Thanks for the suggestion!

Imogen🌻

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Strawberries are too sweet😱

After lunch had 2 strawberries – nothing on them – and they were just SOOOOO sweet. Couldn’t eat any more😱

My taste buds really have changed!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

I eat some every day but it’s sure true our tastebuds change. Huge congrats on getting through your trip!! Glad it was fun and you were able to stay on your plan and take care of yourself!!
    🌷

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone

Back from holiday and checking in. I’ve been away from home for 11 days – travelled to London for overnight stay in hotel, flight to Italy, 9 days staying with friends, then flight back to London and train home yesterday.

The last Saturday before I travelled I weighed 11 st 10 lb. The morning I travelled, weight was 11 st 8 lb. This morning, I weigh 11 st 6 lb 😃 Fasting blood glucose 4.3.

While away I’ve not counted calories but stayed low carb, trying to watch portion sizes. We’ve eaten at other people’s houses and had at least 3 meals out. At home I eat morning and evening, but while away I’ve eaten three times a day.

I was really apprehensive about the trip – Italy, home of pasta, pizza, and gelato 😱 And my friends do eat lots of carbs. But they took me food shopping for what I could eat😃 Ok I ate differently to them, especially at breakfast. And eating away from their home could be interesting😳 Some strange looks from waitresses when it was explained what I could not eat. Once my friend’s husband ordered dessert and when it was brought, it came with three forks for us to share. When he said I wouldn’t be sharing I got a very strange look (but it didn’t look nice and friend said it wasn’t nice).

I stuck to my black coffee and sparkling water.

Some of the people we ate with asked why I was eating what I do, so had to explain. One in particular (diabetic) couldn’t believe the 800 calories a day of the BSD. Some said it would make me ill. My response – look at me, do I look ill?

Oh, and yes – my friends were amazed at how much weight I’d lost, and how much more active I was this time than wen I was there last November.

I really enjoyed the trip

• posted by Frog
    on

congratulations Lynne – I know you’ve been good at sticking to BSD while you’ve been away, but you must have felt great seeing the scales dip lower when you got home
    glad that you had a brilliant time

• posted by Trees
    on

Well done Lynn

Coming home from a wonderful holiday with a weight loss is something we all thought in our past would have been impossible — well done you

See you in two weeks in the 23 week club

Patrice.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog and Trees

I don’t think I’ve ever lost weight during a holiday before! In fact I didn’t believe it possible. But, apparently, it is possible.

Living alone I was worried about staying with friends and eating out. There were challenges, but it seems to have worked out ok.

See you in the 23 week club soon Patrice😃

• posted by Imogen
    on

Congratulations captainlynne,

Staying true to the BSD throughout your holiday…great will power…and losing weight as well – phenomenal!

Welcome back

Imogen🌻

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Imogen 😃

I’ve been doing this for so long now that it really is a habit.

The cake or bread my friends eat for breakfast didn’t bother me. Nor did the jams. But the toast did smell good😳 But I enjoyed the meat/cheese I was eating. 😃

I think people we ate with thought it was strange until they realised that I was enjoying myself just as much as they were, just not eating what they ate (or drinking the wine – I don’t drink alcohol anyway).

Strange how some people try to push food or alcohol at you. After one meal out we went back to a house. We were offered home-made limoncello, which I declined. The lady was so insistent that it would have been rude to continue to refuse. The merest hint of the limoncello touched my lip – no further. She didn’t know, but it made her happy.

My friend cooked one recipe (chicken) which included some sultanas. I couldn’t sit there and fish them out of the sauce, could I? Very nice, but my stomach really did not like the sultanas😱 Fortunately they were a limited quantity! Now I know for certain that I keep away from foods like that!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    I know what you mean about the toast – someone made some in the office the other day, and even with boring white sandwich bread, the smell was amazing.
    I did have a toast craving yesterday after a too small breakfast – mid-morning I had a single slice of vogel bread toasted and it was amazing. It did fit into my daily carb and calorie count – but I didn’t lose any weight yesterday – I don’t get too hung up about daily weights, but don’t know if that was the culprit.
    BUT – I had toast, I didn’t have the urge to eat the entire loaf and the world didn’t fall apart, so as an occasional treat, I can have toast!

It is weird how people get insistent that you have food/drink isn’t it? Particularly given that you don’t drink alcohol, are on a diet and diabetic – Limoncello woman wrong on three counts! – four if you include that you’d said ‘no thanks’.

Have a good day

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Welcome back and we’ll done, to lose weight while on holiday, whew that’s great your will power is amazing you need to bottle it and sell it!
    I’m still losing slowly, still having problems with (both) knees now, one keeps clicking in and out of pain, not sure what to do about it though, I have been fighting this ‘virus’ and it’s not going anywhere, everything is hard work, I am shattered, that’s why I haven’t been posting recently, have been doing a lot of nothing! Just soo frustrating not having energy to do anything.
    I have a great problem when my lot have toast it just smells so good, I don’t know how I resist it!
    Do you have any idea when Judith is back? I can’t remember!
    When will you have reached your desired weight and what will you do then about your food choices?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Sorry to hear you’ve not been well. 😢 Years ago one of my knees kept locking in a bent position. Finished up having operation😱. I’m not too well at the minute – very tired, thickly cough. Voice went Thursday afternoon, back Saturday afternoon. But still hoarse😱

Judith’s due back on 16th June 😃.

After two holidays, a hotel lunch and a 4-day residential course, I’ve learned a lot about how to cope with BSD when I have little control over what I eat. But I don’t want to ease up too much, too soon.

I’ve about another 28 pounds to lose to get into ‘normal’ BMI. When (yes, ‘when’ not ‘if’) I get there I think I’ll just try slowly increasing calories but sticking with low-carb. After this length of time its second nature to low-carb – I don’t even have to think about it. I was curious what the results would be after the holiday. I had dinner & breakfast in London before I flew (Pret salad, then Wetherspoons breakfast – minus hash brown or toast – at airport), then a meal at Kings Cross (Prezzo – steak & rocket salad) when I got back. At home I normally eat breakfast then in the evening, but away I was eating three times a day so I tried to watch portion sizes. Friend asked if I was ok with salad dressed with oil – yes. Was I ok with butter – yes 😃 It helped that I could do some food shopping for things I could eat. Visiting small towns in northern Italy (not tourist places) my food choices could be limited – but I always found something I could eat 😃. And I enjoyed the visit just as much as previous visits.

Some we ate with queried what I was doing – hopefully seeds sown.

Talking of which – my sons partner ( she who gave me all the Lakeland goodies😱 And said she couldn’t do without carbs) who has complex medical issues told me on Saturday she’s given up bread – because ‘it bloats her’. Perhaps now she’ll make more changes.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    That’s great when someone starts taking an interest in what is happening to you,
    I had a couple at church this week, David said that jacket is too big for you christine, the woman asked me why David was insulting me! So we explained about the diet I’m on, it turns out her husband is diebetic, has been for six years, now we know these people, we never knew he was diebetic, but then why would you, you don’t go round announcing it do you?
    They asked a lot of questions including where they could get the information so here’s hoping they take up the challenge.
    I still have 27lb at least to lose, I’m doing it in increments though, I’m telling myself at the moment just lose six pounds, then I will give myself another target.
    Is there nothing that you crave from before you were on this diet, and what will you eat first when you get to the point where you will introduce carbs, I ask because I could leave rice, pasta and most types of potato, I love roast and some chips, however if I needed I could leave them alone. My weakness is chocolate and cakes and puddings, yet at the moment I can say no to them because I want to get to my desired weight! I just know if I have one cake pudding dessert or chocolate I won’t be blue to stop!
    It’s so good to have you back, I hope I’m feeling a lot better soon, I might have to see someone bout these knees, ironically my right one is causing more trouble than the one I twisted!
    Cheers christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.