Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka
    Hahahaha, very funny, ducks! I won’t be giving Coke to him anymore cause I won’t be buying it anymore, love the phrase, ducks delight , I’ve never heard that before, we call it corporation pop in Lancashire where I was born and brought up, I will forever call it ducks delight now! Thank you
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto and Lynn
    I had the very same conversation with hubby today about a friend who is on slimming world diet, she has also lost one and a half stone, however the difference between us is I have lost a lot of my stomach, ( I still have a long way to go) and yet my friend still has a very rotund middle, she says she can’t sleep without having her bread, and she couldn’t live without her bread!
    I have tried all the diets going, lost the weight then put it back on plus more each time. I just hope I can beat this diet lark and get to a weight i am happy with and conquer my sweet tooth.
    Christine

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    Yep I remember. πŸ‘ Lived in Southport & Preston for a couple of years way back. February & a walk (blown) along Blackpool front by Roberts Oyster Bar. Just me & a mouse on the pavement! Liked it & the folks up there. Good cheese, Lancashire crumbly & Cumberland sausage, yum yum!
    Eureka

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi John
    You can easily up your cals by using fat – butter on your veg, avocado and bacon salad, full fat everything, oily fish, a bit of cheese , pork and lamb etc. I have a curry recipe that has 5 tablespoons of oil for 4 portions! I’ve never managed to put more than 3 in I have to confess.
    It won’t make you feel overfull at 40 cals per teaspoonful.
    Hope this helps
    Penny.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi eureka
    But I was only eating 1200 before! So is it 800 forever for me?😰 !!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi flump
    What a great ambition !
    Penny

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi pmshrink
    I’m not at my target weight yet so haven’t tried it. When I’m there I’ll gradually add more calories to the BSD until I reach tipping point. What I can’t do right now is add to the carbs significantly without spiking my blood sugar.
    It is sense to me that I have a personal fat threshold & I’m not yet there to reverse my symptoms eg.too much sugar in my blood.

I think you know Jenny Ruhl’s work, Diet 101 The Truth About Low Carb Diets & ( Blood Sugar 101). She has lived with, researched & written about diabetes for a long time. I trust & concur with her opinions & conclusions. She has very good advice. If in the end I have to live not too far away from this calorie count that’s ok by me. Not all of us will be able to reverse diabetes I think. But I’m giving it a darn good try. 800 calories & I feel good 🀘

Diabetes is a symptom of sugar in our blood that is out of control. How it got to be like that differs with each person. Type 1 diabetics don’t have the luxury of trying this diet. So I’m already lucky.

As prof Taylor said, ” The essential point is that substantial weight loss must be achieved. The time course of weight loss is much less important”.
    So good luck & perseverance to us all. And check Jenny out on increasing your calories
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

hi, I’ve been increasing my calories, I am now eating the same calories as before this diet but NOT putting weight back on. In fact I am still fat burning and losing a few ounces a week! My latest trousers were feeling rather baggy, measured my waist – unbelievably I have lost another inch of my waist!! I will NEVER go back to eating starchy carbs as they obviously were not good for me. I can honestly say I don’t miss them!

I was having lunch with a group on Saturday and I must say the enormous slabs of cake they had after lunch turned my stomach! I couldn’t help thinking of the damage they would be doing! Not a flicker of interest in tasting any! πŸ™‚

• posted by Carolg
    on

Great news. Just had a telephone call from the practice nurse at the surgery. I can come off my meds!!
    I saw her yesterday for results of blood test and she said she would check with gp. She was well aware of
    Dr Mosley and his diet which was a nice surprise, as I was recommending it highly.
    I have to stay on the diet and keep an eye on sugar levels—-but no more pills.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Eureka
    Thanks for the advice. I m not down enough yet. Another stone to go. I agree Jenny Ruhl is great, she read everything that exists I think to find out the real facts.
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek in my previous post. When I’m down enough I will experiment.
    Thanks, hope your readings go down
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    That’s so encouraging, that you’re still losing on increased cals.
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

CarolG that’s brilliant news!!
    Another major success for both you and the BSD
    πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Carol,
    Happy for you
    John

on

Penny,
    All great ideas – thanks
    John

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Carolg
    congratulations!!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Carol

Judith, I know what you mean about not being tempted. This last few weeks I’ve sat with the twins while they ate sausage sandwiches, cakes etc and not wanted them myself. I was happy with my black coffee. πŸ˜ƒ I sometimes have my (4 item) breakfast in BHS and look at some of the other breakfasts being eaten. They were 12 items, now down to 10😱. All covered in lots of sauce😱. Today I was in a supermarket and noticed a particular trolley, full of convenience foods and alcohol. And the size of the person with the trolley? Definitely not slim😳 It’s only 4 months since my trolley would have been full of convenience foods and carbs – but the difference those months have madeπŸ˜ƒ

on

Weight loss is perverse.
    I’m raising calories at the moment and so weight loss is naturally slowing – I’ve stagnated for about 10 days.
    Went back to The Smoke last day or two to tune a few old friends’ pianos.
    Stayed with Son, Daughter-in-Law and Grandkids. All great except I knew dinner would be carb rich. Son had kindly asked if I wanted to bring my own food to fit in with the regime but that seemed a bit self-obsessed so I went with the flow.
    Dinner was a great pile of mashed potato with chicken pieces in sauce with nice veg. I must say I really enjoyed it.
    On returning home I hopped on the scales just to give me an inkling of the horrors awaiting me tomorrow morning.
    (Mid-afternoon is always my worst time of the day for weighing)
    I expect you can guess what’s coming …….. Down a pound.
    Crazy or what?

on

I’m going to have a bash at making the chickpea flour flatbreads this weekend.
    Can anyone (Hashimoto?) give me just a rough clue how much water is needed for 9oz flour.
    I don’t think I’ve made a batter since schooldays (a long time ago – it was for a lamb chop toad – delicious)
    I know there will be no absolute quantity, as everyone’s pastry and batter is unique
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi John, I make my chickpea flour batter only slightly thicker than I would make the batter for toad in the hole – I’ve never measured the water so I can’t help there!! Don’t forget to add your herbs/spices of choice! πŸ™‚
    Weight loss is so strange at times, isn’t it? I had a sudden 1 pound drop yesterday after several days on the same weight – but I knew something was happening because my jeans were looser round my waist.
    Judith

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another pound has ridden off into the sunsetπŸ˜ƒ Only another 4 pounds until I’ve lost 50 pounds!!!!!!😱

• posted by Christi1948
    on

I have made another observation, I’m sat by the pool, having just done aqua aerobics and a swim, we’ve had our morning coffee, ( I had two almonds too) there are people who have been by the pool since 9 am in full sun never going in the pool and they are sat munching on big bags of crisps! I used to do that! Mindlessly eating, even though I wasn’t hungry, I did it out of boredom.
    We have swam, and or walked every day, I have been very good about my eating, except on Wednesday, I spectacularly fell of the bsd bandwagon! Got back on on Thursday, I wonder if I’ve put on weight?
    Also I have noticed I now have bingo wings!
    Oh well I will be on the scales on Monday morning! Just one question what do you snack on now while lazing by the pool?
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Christine you really have changed your life style!!

Snacks by the pool? Lots of ice cold water with a slice of lemon or lime plus the odd almond or two sounds perfect to me!!!
    Here it is pouring down and cold! I’m so envious!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith
    SORRY! If it’s any consolation, we will be back in wet old Blighty on Monday,
    daughter has told us it’s not stopped raining since we came away! She won’t have got much gardening done!
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine – you enjoy your sunshine while you can – though I won’t complain if you bring it over with you! I’m really pleased you’re having a good time:)

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith
    I will wear all my clothes to keep warm, and pack the sunshine in my case! Ok?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That will do me grand! As a lovely nun at school used to say – we actually used to call her Sister do me grand as she said it so often! πŸ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi captainlynne
    Gosh I still have a way to go to get to that! Well done though, I read an article the other day that said if you want the weight to stay off keep on the diet for a year! However ours is not a ‘diet’ so we will be on it forever, with a little jiggle here and there!
    Looking forward to losing another 1 stone 9 lb. that’s my next goal, it’s the only way I can do it in little increments.
    christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lucia
    Today I have been mainly eating ham, cheese, walnuts, tomatoes and cream cheese, plus Greek yogurt, strawberries, and almonds.
    Tonight I ate chicken, veg and 1 glass of wine, well it is the last night of our holiday!
    Christine

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi christine
    I snack on water!!!!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Christine
    Today in London 6 degrees with a wind chill factor of 6. So it felt like 0 degrees.
    Middle of April in the soft south!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christine
    That all sounds lovely!
    Penny

on

Judith,
    Made the Chickpea Flour Flatbreads this morning. Used Cumin and ground pepper for seasoning.
    They were delicious – thanks for your guidance. I made them with 4.5 oz flour & 8 fl ozs water
    The first few stuck like araldite to the frying pan, but I got the pan a lot hotter for the last one and that seemed to do the trick.
    They are going to be a staple from now on – Annie is going to have one instead of the cauli rice with our routine Monday veggie curry.
    Thanks again.
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi John, glad the flatbreads worked for you – I love them!! I much prefer them to cauli rice, even though I am very fond of cauliflowers! They seem a much more authentic addition to the curry than cauli rice.

I try slightly different combinations of seeds / spices each time I make them. Oddly rosemary and caraway seeds is a nice combo – but not for a curry! I have those spread with cream cheese and slices of tomatoes.

This diet is great isn’t it? πŸ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

They sound really nice Lynne, I’m writing that recipe down!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sorry! Mistaken id! Judith not Lynne xx

on

Off on my quarterly tuning tour of Devon and Cornwall Wed-Fri this week.
    I have to spend one night in a hotel and have just noticed it has a pool.
    For the first time in years I’m going to have a dip – I’ve been too ashamed to don a cozzie for years πŸ™‚
    Thanks to the Prof, Michael and all of you on the 24/7/365 “Support Team”

John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi john, I’m visiting my rellies in Oz soon and I am looking forward to a dip in the pool/sea. Like you I’ve been to embarrassed to don a cozzie for years too. It’s a good feeling to know we can swim again without fear and shame πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all,
    Whoppeee, just got on the scales, after a 1pm bedtime last night after our return from Tenerife, and I am 13.1.6.
    That is brilliant, even if do say so myself! Only 1lb 6 oz gain, that’s even after having two or three ice creams, and on our last night meal I had a tiramisu!
    I did do lots of walking also swam, plus two sessions of Aquarobics!
    Judith, can you please let me have the flatbread recipe? I would like to try them, I’m not that keen on the cauliflower rice.
    Now have to trawl through all the post, 90% of which will be thrown!
    Christine

on

Judith,

It sure is.

Mind you, I don’t think I’ll try the trunks I bought to “Wow” them at the beach at Monte Carlo back in the long-lost distant days when I used to go there for a Reinsurance gathering. (I always wondered if it would have been so well attended had it been held in Frinton.)

BTW – any response from the team on your Forum re-jigging suggestions?

πŸ™‚

John

on

Christine,

That’s a splendid result – you must have worked hard to be so good whilst such temptations were all around.

Onwards & Downwards.

The flatbread recipe is in the “Recipes” section of this website. It’s on screen 10 or thereabouts.

John

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi penny
    I did a bit more than snack on water! Was well pleased though, I will be back on strict rations this week, while not going hungry.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi john,
    Thanks will have a look for the recipe.
    Christine

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    Brill result. And it was your Birthday! Well done.

I’ve been catering for 13 since Friday. Trying to resist temptation, swimming & walking. Another notch in on my belt. Moved to new GP & seeing him next week. Should be interesting?

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka
    Wow 13 people since Friday!
    I need a weeks rest after I’ve had my family visit! You are doing a great job, if you aren’t tempted, I think it’s really hard watching family having a sweet treat,
    I hope you lose lots of weight with all the entertaining and cooking!
    I’m very pleased about my weight, although I did do lots of excercise, which I don’t do usually at home,
    Christine

• posted by Glasgowgirl
    on

8 weeks completed
    BMI 30.5 from 35.5
    Hb 1ac 42 from 65
    Metformin dose halved
    20cm off waist measurement
    Feeling that a lot of good has been achieved
    More energetic and better concentration.
    Hoping I can keep up the good work.

on

Hi Glasgow Girl
    Welcome to the club.
    Great results – Onwards & Downwards
    John

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Brilliant results Glasgowgirl!
    Penny

• posted by Glasgowgirl
    on

Thank you Penny & John,
    Reading all the advice in these posts. Hoping I’ll be able to use it.☺️

on

Christine,
    You’re an inspiration.
    I’m going to keep the image of your 1.6lbs before me for the next few weeks.
    My difficulties may not be as great as yours were, but I have in store;-

1) A working tour of Devon and Cornwall – very enjoyable, but staying with a friend who always feeds me huge carb-rich meals. I can’t be picky, so I’ll just have to fast for the rest of the day(s)

2) 5 nights away in various hotels taking my wife Annie’s big sister away for a “Special Birthday” holiday.

3) 5 days in a hotel at the “Pianoforte Tuners’ Annual Convention”

I’m not even going to attempt to lose weight but if I can do as well as you in damage limitation I shall be well pleased. All I can try and do is eat the right food and trust to luck – if you can do it……,

I’m even not going to get on the scales again until my Birthday in June when life returns more or less to normal and for me that is being brave, as I’m a scales/graphs/targets junkie.

Wish me luck – see you the other side. (Just for the record, I’m currently 168lbs – I will follow your example and ‘fess up when it’s over on 15th June)

John

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi stringbreaker
    I’m still catching up after the hols, so sorry if this is late, I will keep thinking about you on your various travels, I found if I ate ANY carbs while on the holiday, the day after I struggled, so it might be a good idea to limit them if you can while visiting carb eaters, you could always eat everything on your plate and just a tiny bit of the carbs, so as not to appear ungrateful, you could always say you are stuffed and complement them on the food you have eaten!
    Good luck
    Christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.