Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Eureka, my back has been dodgy for years, but I really damaged it a few years ago. First, I was bent over hugging the twins when one took her feet off the floor. 😳 A few months later I fell sideways walking down my front path – landed on the drive, on my hip. When I could finally get to the GP I was told I’d damaged the big muscle that runs across my back from hip to hip. Never really been right since. Carrying heavy shopping on Friday (not forgetting the killer cupcakes – which, by the way I’ve been told were very nice!) set it off again. And more shopping today hasn’t helped😱

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Thanks for the info John. You can get them on kindle- but they cost more than the paperback!
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny, you’re a genius! A longer paint brush would be a good idea! When I sit it has to be on something which keeps my knee at a perfect right angle but a longer paint brush will make the job much easier πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Happy birthday Christine!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Happy birthday Christine! Hope you have a lovely day!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Happy Birthday Christine, make sure you get yourself something really nice, you deserve it. πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Happy Birthday Christine πŸ™‚

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Christine,
    To quote the song, “It’s your Birthday – anything goes”.
    Have a ball.
    John

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Judith- thank you for that recognition!😊!!
    You can get long paintbrushes that are for painting behind radiators.
    Penny

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka
    We are back and sat by the pool, we got the 10 am bus, had a three quarter walk, got some good sunglasses, had a coffee and strawberries and cream, then walked to McDonald’s! ( an hours walk) I had tuna salad, then another’s hours walk back to apartment, just had a swim, now for a rest!
    Will look for a pedometer when I get home, thank you for the good wishes
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith
    Thank you πŸ™‚
    Christiine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Janet
    Thank youπŸ™‚
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi bill
    Thank you, got some really good sun glasses to stop the glare.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi newlife
    Thank you πŸ™‚
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi john
    Thank you πŸ™‚
    Christine

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi all newbie vets
    Well done. Now the fun starts!
    Thought I’d blown it after busy week & irregular eating. But, 2 lbs down & 1/2″ off waist. Blimey Riley!
    Away Friday for a family hol & lots of big bdays to celebrate. Do my best to stay focused. Intend to start exercising every day now, will swim all week. Swam for my city once-upon-a time! What happened to that? I was too heavy for my knees & back to cope with exercise during the 8-weeks BSD. Did as Prof Taylor said, concentrated on diet. Still a way to go. But the future’s (orange) lot brighter anyway.

Bill great your off meds. If only… !

Me & bread a complete no go there. I think it’s the genetic manipulation & increase in Gliadin in the Gluten. Makes sense to me.
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi captainlynne

Be careful , same to all with bad backs! As you lose a lot of weight your body has to realign internally. Where the fat was, your organs are resettling & now have ‘breathing’ space. Your/ my muscles can be in permanent spasm protecting the damaged area. 32 years later my hips are twisted & one is higher than the other! It is a permanent fatigue.

Think before you move or lift. I Knew how to do both but still circumstances did the damage! Look after this new, improved body, after all we want to spend on it. Summer wardrobes beckon
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne and Eureka, I had a very painful episode some months ago where my ‘hip’ was twisted up by 2″. Nothing worked until I went to a sports massage therapist who said it wasn’t my hip but a rotated sacroiliac joint. She used pressure point massage on my spasmed back and leg muscles then manipulated my sacroiliac joint back into position. Painfree. However, she and my doc said it is easy to knock it out again once you have done it. So each time I go she puts it back in the correct position, sometimes it is only fractionally out but I can knock it right out of kilter doing something silly – like dragging a heavy pot in the garden.

It might be worth you finding someone who could do that for you πŸ™‚

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Re backs – cannot recommend a qualified physio-led Pilates class highly enough. In Edinburgh I am lucky enough to be able to access sports physios at FASIC who work with elite athletes – they are brilliant and the fee well worth it. Pilates exercises given me helped strengthen my back hugely and pain now a thing of the past, but avoid the classes run by folk who are not qualified physios as you want to improve things not worsen the problem. An appointment with a good physio is money well spent.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    Sacroiliac- definitely got a dodgy one too. Two years ago I strained the ligaments – argh- worse pain than childbirth! Couldn’t get out of bed without taking opiates. Cranial osteopath sorted it out with a couple of visits. Would recommend people to get help – the doctor can’t do anything.
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi julia I go to a pilates for bad backs class recommended by a physio friend and GP. I still need to see someone when I rotate my sacroiliac joint out of position.

I have recommended pilates for bad backs a few times on this site, like you, can’t speak highly enough of a well qualified instructor. Mine isn’t a physio herself but my own physio goes to her pilates and advanced yoga classes. I would say get recommendations, especially from medical people, if you are thinking of joining a class.if you find the right one it’s amazing how much it helps πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    I so agree I go to Pilates with a retired ballet dancer- ( age 45! ) – there’s someone who knows about injuries!
    I have found my back so much better since starting.
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny I can’t stomach those opiates! the zoned out feeling is fine but the constipation!!!! And that was only after one night time dose! I quickly found paracetamol doesn’t have any effect so had to grit my teeth. Not nice! I’m so glad I can go to someone who can very quickly put it right. I had 4 ‘slipped disc’ episodes in 7 months last year – worse than the sacro pain- but haven’t had an episode since starting Pilates. Though when I get twinges I do the exercises straight away.
    We gardeners can’t afford to let our backs go lol πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    I would have taken anything to stop that pain! I couldn’t move a muscle- literally!
    In case you ever have to take them, the trick is to eat a prune every time you have a pill. You get constipated because the opiates paralyse the peristalsis in your gut. With the prunes, when you stop the pills and peristalsis starts again, you don’t have a problem! ☺️
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny I don’t know if prunes would have been enough! I can eat any amount of prunes with no obvious affect. I know what you mean – it was taking an hour to get onto the bed at night and even longer to get off it in the morning. It took two types of prescription only laxatives to recover from one dose of opiates. I dread it happening that badly again because the pain was sheer hell.
    Guess it’s why we both keep up with pilates πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi judith
    Thank god for mr Pilates – I believe he developed his techniques with wounded soldiers after WW1. It’s a fantastic system.
    Penny

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all
    I made an interesting observation today after my birthday meal yesterday.
    Yesterday evening before we went out I had a glass of prosseco, we were given two! Bottles from the management because it was my birthday,
    We then went out for our meal, we decided to splash out a bit, so I had warm avocado with scallops, prawns in a Thermidor sauce with cheese and baked in the oven, then salmon in champagne sauce with carrots and green beans. I was stuffed, I could not have had a pud even if I had wanted one, I also had one glass of white wine.
    When we got back I had a coffee with some 80% dark choc, as a treat,
    I was very sleepy so went to bed, I slept till 4am went to the loo slept till morning, however I was stuck to the bed feeling sluggish and not wanting to get up!
    I finally roused myself got up and ready for another day, I didn’t feel great though, so was it the two hours plus walk I did or the two glasses of alcohol? I don’t normally drink just the occasional glass with a meal, or was it the two course meal, I have no illusions that it was low carb, or ‘good’ for me, I did however think that being lots of protein it might! Be ok. Oh yes forgot to,say, I had to take a tablet for my hiatus hernia as I had terrible acid reflux, I haven’t had that since before the diet!
    So for the rest of the week I will be back to my sensible eating regime!
    I have found it enlightening that going off piste for one meal can cause such intense reactions to my body.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, was it worth it though? I just thought it was interesting enough ( for me) to put it out there for others to read and digest.
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Christine I made a three course meal for a friend last night based on 3 meals on the BSD. For me that is the most food I have had in one go since before Christmas. I was so stuffed I rolled around all night with stomach pain!! Our stomachs will have shrunk! So I think yours could have been a combo of the food and alcohol. I’m never, never eating that much again!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Family gone home now. I pointed out my weight-loss and was asked how I’d done it. I told them, and offered the book – to hear that they wouldn’t take it because she wouldn’t stick to it! That’s four people in 4 days saying them can’t give up carbs😱
    Still, hope I’ve got the twins on plain yogurt instead if flavoured onesπŸ˜ƒ

on

Lynne,

If they REALLY wanted the benefits they’d do it.
    We all have our own inner drive when it comes to it.
    Remember Bill’s cri-de-coeur:-

“This HAS to work for me.”

John

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi captainlynne,
    Glad they commented at last, even if it needed a bit of a push! I remember reading years ago a book about ‘are you addicted to carbs’ and looked at the food plan and thought the same as they did – how do I keep full without pasta and rice! Remarkably easily once you know how!
    Did you try the ‘full fat’ is better than ‘skimmed’? That might have a few attractions and be a step in the right direction – baby steps,, but a step.
    I had the first person comment on my weight loss last week. Immediate family have not seen me yet, but friends I see regularly have said nothing. You would think two full dress sizes was noticeable!
    I went to Pilates and dressed in the new clothes I had just bought – there was about to be an embarrassing incident had I not replaced the old ones! I got things so far away from the ‘normal’ that it was almost – ‘notice me …please!).
    I used to go in black trainer bottoms (size 22) – wide leg, and a charity tee-shirt – largest size they give out (XL, gents) in either navy or purple. Last week I turn up in pale-grey bottoms (size 18) – tight round the ankle and legs – not quite skin tight, more very slim harem pants, plus a different charity tee-shirt in pale blue – medium sized.
    At then end the teacher looked me and said – very warily – you have lost weight haven’t you – she relaxed once she saw the beaming smile I have her as I said yes – 60% gone, 40% to go! She was clearly worried there might be a problem!
    Anyhow the new profile worked well, except she can now see exactly what I am doing and when I am going wrong – no ‘big clothes’ to hide behind. Sooooo nice πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yes, stringbreaker. My son’s partner was commenting on how much weight she’s putting on with decreased mobility. But even that won’t get her to change their diet. Nor telling her how many are seeing improvement in IBS (she has that too). On the plus side, my son didn’t have a go at me like he has before πŸ˜ƒ

Last night I cooked them (at their request) sausage, egg, chips and beans, with ketchup. At least the sausages were low-carb! I ate 2 of the sausages with an egg, and beetroot. Then they share a trifle between the four of them. Not a morsel touched my lips. πŸ˜ƒ

I cooked my breakfast before they were up and about – bacon, egg and black pudding.
    They finally tad brunch just before they left – bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans and tinned tomatoes. With ketchup. Followed by a cupcake each. Then the twins actually asked if they could gave sweets 😱

I just said I’d already eaten, and sat with a coffee while they ate πŸ˜ƒ

Orchid, one of my colleagues is Portugese. When him and his wife saw me on Sunday I was asked if my weight loss was deliberate, then how I’d done it. Told them about the BSD, but they like their carbs too much – at the moment 😳

The twins have been having semi-skimmed milk – it’s what they’re used to. But their natural yogurt has been full datπŸ˜ƒ They’ve eaten more this bid it than before, and as much as possible has been low-carb. They excitedly told their step-mum that they’d had yogurt with blueberries. But then made the mistake of saying how many blueberries. C had 28, G had 70. They’d counted them! C only wanted the 28 so I had no problem. But their step-mum accused poor G of gluttony!😱 Personally I’d sooner see her eat those blueberries than fill up on sweets, biscuits or cake!

Glad to hear of your new exercise clothes. If I don’t get some new trousers or a skirt there might be a very embarrassing incident – probably in the centre of Durham😱

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Don’t be too downhearted captainlynne. I knew about low carb diets years ago but wasn’t prepared to make the shift until now. Its a drip-drip thing. You’ve planted the seed, let it sink in with them. The more they see you being happy and healthy the more it will tug away at their sensibilities and one day they might just give it a go.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    Glad you had a good bday. Don’t let the reflux spoil it. Mine is all gone on low carbs. It was very painful.
    Enjoy the rest of your hol
    Eureka

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka
    I’ve had a better day today, low everything, except fat! Going for a post evening meal walk tonight before bed, I don’t know how people can drink booze all day and night and not feel bloated, I’ve had another half glass of prosseco and had to give most of it to hubby as its too sweet for me! We had a cooked lunch today and I asked for a Diet Coke, then having taken a sip I had to check it was diet! She said yes definitely, it was sooo sweet I had to give that to hubby too! I’m finding just plain water a good balanced sweet now though, when before the ‘diet’ it was just plain water, I now like it better than sugary diet drinks!
    Christine

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi orchid
    Very impressed. Very Flash Dance. What about BSD WORKS printed on the back of the T shirt?
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    Good day. Yep, ducks delight for me too. But Coke cleans toilets! You’ll have to stop giving it hubby
    Eureka. 🍷

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, I have just returned from a friends house, she told me she had explained the diet to a friend of hers who is a yo-yo dieter only to be told No, I can have bread with Slimming World. As my friend said, she’s been doing SW on and off for years but the penny hasn’t dropped that if it worked she wouldn’t need to keep going back to it! πŸ™
    Give it time, they may want to know about it some day, when they see that you haven’t put the weight back on!

Christine sounds like things are going VERY well on your hols! One sip of diet coke and you didn’t like it. Fantastic!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi captainlynne
    Ahem, General. You can lead a horse etc.
    You are your own ‘ poster girl’ (nods to hashimoto ) so parade a bit. Just don’t let the nickers fall down! You can tell what I’ve got to shop for.
    Eureka

on

Christine,
    One of the books I have on carbs reads very interestingly on sweet v dry white wine
    It says a glass of dry had 2g carbs, but sweet is 15g – that’s a lorra lorra carbs innit?
    Good job you gave it away πŸ™‚

Can I trawl for ideas?

I’m looking to ramp up the kCals but like so many of us, don’t actually feel the need. I guess I ought to edge them up a bit though, as I’ve only a stone to go and 800kCals won’t do then, so I may as well start getting used to it.

I’ve had some ideas, such as;
    Having more “snacking” nuts – (good nutrition and high kcals)
    Milk in my porage instead of water – never had milky porage before – actually quite nice.
    etc etc

Obviously, one couId just increase portion sizes, but I just wondered if anyone else out there has come up with bright ideas that don’t involve too much more bulk – I really don’t want my stomach used to eating the sized meals I used to have. Some of you more advanced folk must have tackled this problem already.

John

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith, we’ve all been there haven’t we? Joining and rejoining slimming clubs 😳 But we didn’t know any better. The ones I went to seemed full of people more interested in fitting ‘naughty’ treats into their allowance than eating healthily. 😱

My son left most of a bottle of Diet Coke in my fridge – at least I can use it rather than pour it awayπŸ˜ƒ Not for drinking, I hasten to addπŸ˜ƒ

Eureka, it’s not my knickers I’m worried about LOL They’re new and smaller. Just as well because they’ll be on show if my trousers fall down😱

Thanks folks. I know I can rely on you to glue me together again πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi John, I just eat more!! So, I might have a WHOLE avocado on a salad with a boiled egg! I like a curry, a dahl and a chickpea flatbread as a meal along with some green, leafy veg. Believe me it doesn’t take long to ramp up a few carbs but stay inside the principles of no starchy carbs!
    Perhaps you could have one of the salads or a dip as a starter followed by fish/meat and veg.

Pop some extra seeds and fruit on your morning porridge, add a dash of cream – or what my mother used to add – a lovely knob of butter ( she also added golden syrup but we won’t mention that!)
    You’ll have fun trying it John πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Yup, Lynne, we’ve all been there!! Never realising why it never worked! πŸ™‚

on

Hi Hashi,
    Thanks for that – can you buy chickpea flatbreads or do you have to make them?
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi John, you have to make them but the recipe is in the recipes tab, πŸ™‚ you need to start the batter a few hours before you make the flatbreads, but it’s easy πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi stringbreaker
    Prof Roy Taylor said,
    “Once you are at your personal target weight, the critical thing now is to become accustomed to eating approximately 2/3rd of the total amount you used to eat. There need be no restriction upon any particular food stuffs, although naturally foods that re very calorie-dense are best avoided. The goal is keeping the weight down ( you may find your weight increases 1 – 2 kg over a few days on returning to a higher calorie intake; this is because your glycogen stores return to normal & glycogen is stored in the water inside your body).

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres. Reply from Prof Taylor on frequent questions asked. 22.06.15
    Eureka

on

Eureka,
    Thanks a million for that.
    Gold dust.
    John

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Smith368
    Ab Fab news! Excellent news & hope for us all. Welcome to Vets inc.
    Eureka

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi stringbreaker
    Happy to help
    Eureka

Please log in or register to post a reply.