Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi to a fellow natterer christine. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kags
    on

I am a member of other forums where they have a thread specifically for off-topic chat, some with names like The Bike Shed or The Coffee and Chat thread. I completely agree that we need to chat and support one another – that’s what makes doing the BSD so much easier. I think it would make sense to have dedicated threads for different topics – progress, issues, food recommendations, etc. just to make it eaiser to find all the fantastic information and support that everyone offers.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi janice, perhaps the tech team could collate all the useful tips/discoveries now that the forums have been on the go for a while and put them on a FAQs tab on the tool bar? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Kags, I think that is how the major threads started, with the idea of a dedicated theme – like this one, but with more people and more issues it’s what happens. ‘chat’ is a natural consequence of communicating. I think we need the information for new or newer starters collating by the tech team into FAQs to help newbies find what they need. I think all new threads will end up with a certain amount of chat which goes ‘off piste’ so to speak. For instance this thread was for people who had crossed the 8 week line to post their stories of their 8 weeks and what they had achieved and how they proposed to progress as inspiration for those just starting out. Which is pretty similar to one of John’s ideas.
    I do wonder though, whether that solution will prevent some new people from engaging in ‘chat’ and building relationships. For people doing this on their own or without other moral support it is important. I’m quite happy to continue trying to answer questions from newbies as, I am sure, will a lot of the other old timers!
    As this is the only forum I have ever been on I can’t quite imagine how something as formal as ‘coffee and chat’ would work – it obviously does or it wouldn’t be on forums you are on, but for me personally it would seem a bit contrived. Off topic chat often occurs during a reply or question, not necessarily just for the sake of chat.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi All,
    I agree with what seems to be the general consensus on here that we do need to chat but we also need to tidy up the various threads under specific headings. Without the chatter we wouldn’t have got to know and trust each other the way we do.
    There are people who only pop in to ask questions or chart their progress and are happy with that.
    I’ve noticed that a lot of newbies start new threads to ask their questions and they might only be specific to them. The problem with this is it constantly pushes the older threads down the list and often they have useful info in.
    It might be good to collate threads under specific headings and make them sticky so that they are easier to find.
    Not sure how that would work either because sometimes I think people pick the thread at the top of the list and ask their question there.
    I know that several of us spend a fair bit of time looking for, and following up on new starters to encourage and advise them. That is I one thing that I think makes this site special, that we show care and concern for others. I know that won’t change ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ElMary
    on

Thank you to captainlynne for starting this post. It’s great to see and share everyone’s successes and to help each other out. Sorry I’m from oz so everything is in kgs and cms here. I’ve just got to the end of my 8 weeks and I’ve lost 6.5kg and about 9cm off my waist which i haven’t been able to do in years! The most amazing thing is my most recent blood tests showed my cholesterol is in the normal range (it’s been in the very high range for years) and the most incredible result is the autoimmune disorder the dr picked up last year is gone! I still have slightly low white blood cell count but when they did a follow up blood test check (sorry don’t know the technical term) the Autoimmune disorder was gone! Might not be the diet but I’m really happy about that! Not to mention all my Hdb1c results are normal and I don’t have to do any two hour GTT tests anymore! Yay!

• posted by NewLife
    on

I guess I’m one of the people guilty of derailing this thread as I’m only a 4-weeker. Sorry guys.

I do think the chat is what makes these forums so special though. From chat comes support and friendship. I wouldn’t like the threads to become too regimented.

Perhaps the main threads could be stickied?

eg – weigh-in, what did you eat today, this one…

And if there was a stickied thread near the top of the page entitled Newbie Questions that would encourage newbies to post in that one thread rather than starting lots of new ones.

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi ElMary,
    Ace progress – particularly impressed with the cholesterol lowering – never thought of that. I might have a re-test – it would be great to come off Statins.
    Keep posting.
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne you were one of the ‘old timers’ who would always be happy to help newbies. There are a good bunch of us who will always do that. Glad you agree about chat building trusting relationships.

Hi elmary welcome to the veterans club. I’m so pleased you have had such amazing results!
    Why on earth would you apologise for coming from wonderful Australia? These forums hold our global family. As for weights and measures kgs and centimeters are global too, it’s just dinosaurs like me who still work with the imperial weights we were schooled in.

Newlife, don’t apologise, you’re one of us and lots of people think ahead to what will I do/what will happen when I have completed 8 weeks, that’s one of the reasons our lovely captainlynne started this thread. I know she is always keen to help our BSD family.

I think a very important feature of these forums is that they are so friendly and supportive. Like Bill1954, my son is a member of a number of forums and remains surprised at how friendly, supportive and non-competitive these forums are.

I like your idea of a thread for newbies questions, it ties in with Cherrieanne’s idea and would solve a lot of problems.

John, I booked in for a cholesterol test a fortnight a go. Sadly the phlebo made a mess of it so am seeing the nurse on tuesday. Mary is the second person to have a lowering of her cholesterol after being on this diet, let’s hope we both find the same!
    You’ve started quite a discussion, John! I think there is consensus that something needs doing about the sheer number of threads but people like the friendly, chatty approach as well. Hopefully we can find a way of sorting it.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi John, I agree with the principle of what you say in ‘first thought’, but the chat does add something and builds up a level of personal contact and trust. I have recently been using another forum for an online course I have taken. There are set topics per week that we respond to and can generate some lively discussions. There is also a ‘Common room’ where chat, general topics of conversation etc take place. People asking IT questions about how to do things go in the common room as do postings of interesting articles or comments like – off line for a couple of weeks – going on holiday to x. That will often generate general chat, best wishes, comments form others who have been there etc and it is a bit of light fun. So a chat-room would be useful, an example would be – did anyone else watch ‘How to stay young’ on Thursday evening and can anyone do the sit to stand test :-(‘.
    The tech staff will also move things that have been incorrectly posted in a discussion forum to the common room. Not sure if they check or if the tutor does – you can also ask for your own post to be moved if you incorrectly post. I suspect that is a bit too much for here!
    The other thing we all must do ourselves is a bit of self discipline and create new posts for our own questions on new subjects if for no other reason that it makes finding things easier again in the long run. Maybe an approach would be to start your new topic with the heading of the main one – and then add your specific topic? An example ‘over the eight week line – new exercise regime’?
    A question of idea for those over the eight week line who are wondering what others are doing about exercise now – are they still increasing the walking or doing now things – any ideas like the NHS C25k etc.
    It will need some help from the site admins to set up some guidelines in a ‘Beginners start here’ section in the forums, but should be doable.

• posted by orchid
    on

I like the idea of a FAQ section as there is a lot of very detailed and comprehensive knowledge on the site that is getting lost. When I started in February I could remember easily and quickly find the posts on topics and when responding to someone asking about a topic – direct then to the exact topic and person who wrote it. I really struggle to find things now and find myself rewriting very similar info on topics two or three times as (not surprisingly) many people have similar concerns, worries and issues that they want to ask especially when they start.
    Exactly how we extract the info and set it up is another topic! We could all suggest topics – eg ‘Has anyone experience of using Shakes?; ‘How many carbs should I have per day?’; ‘What are ketostix?’ as a couple of ideas! ‘ This would an ideal subject for a chat room ๐Ÿ™‚ :-)!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Morning, I agree that the forum structure could be much improved now, but not knowing what platform it’s built on, I don’t know how much work that would be and website work = ยฃ’s
    Judith I was another who saw my cholesterol readings drop into normal range after my blood tests 4 weeks in.
    I think it’s great by the way that people are thinking about how well the site is working rather than just using it as a place to chat. That is a major difference from 99% of them.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi all……….I completed the 8 weeks on Easter Monday and the goal I had set myself was to lost 2 stone in that 8 weeks – start weight was 14 st 12.6lbs. I achieved exactly that the Thursday before Easter – yaay! Except I ‘relaxed’ my diet for the first time – my only cheat during the whole of the 8 weeks was red wine on occasions – over Easter with our kids home and lots of eating out and home made goodies plus those wretched mini easter eggs everywhere I went!!! So weighing in the Tuesday after Easter I’d put on a whopping 8 lbs!!!! IN 4 DAYS – I swear if you’d actually weighed the food I’d eaten it wouldn’t have weighed 8 lbs – so furious with myself, livid!!!

Went straight back onto the 800 cals and it’s taken me 2 weeks to lose that again, but I have, so I’m pleased so I am proud to say that, with a wobble, I have achieved what I wanted to achieve and I have lost my 2 stone (plus 1 more lb) I can’t tell you how proud I am that I ‘got back on it’.

Went to see my doctor the other day about an unrelated matter and explained I was sometimes feeling slightly giddy (gone now) and told him how my blood sugars have reduced from 10.5 to 5.4 fasting (ish and variable) and he was interested to hear how and what I was doing. I am 58, on metformin as well as a cholesterol and blood pressure tablet – he said hmm we may have to review that and consider taking you off the medication – OMG (hate that expression but applicable to this I feel!) I was elated as this was my other massive goal – just to hear those words as a possibility was overwhelming and made it all worthwhile. I was diagnosed back in 2006 btw.

At the moment I feel no reason to change my diet, I am happy with what I am eating and don’t feel deprived and am now adjusting old receipes to fit. We have bought a spiraliser which my husband uses at every opportunity!! I can eat out ok and feel great – my husband has lost 1 stone as a result too so my advice to anyone in the early stages is keep positive and persevere, it really starts to become almost second nature and if you have a blip – don’t worry BUT just get back on it straight away – don’t wait ’till Monday’ and good luck to everyone!!
    PS It is so great to see the physical change ie I need a belt for my new jeans now but mentally…………I have achieved this – myself – massive (ok with the good doctor’s help and book admittedly) but what a confidence boost

• posted by orchid
    on

Well done Tallyhoo – that must be a great confidence boost for you especially going to the doctors and getting an unexpected bonus of being able to stop the drugs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Tallyhoo I’m jumping up and down with joy for you! Amazing results for you and hubby! Your doctor sees you ss being a reversed diabetes person. Glorious! Another GP who will probably advise other patients to follow this diet and become medication free!

As for your Easter blip – experience IS the best teacher! You really know the dangers now and although you may have an occasional festive nibble it will remain just a nibble!

I totally agree with you about the confidence boost! ๐Ÿ™‚

And a big welcome to the veterans club! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, it was you I was thinking of re cholesterol tests. Mine has been high since developing hashimotos, it’s something diabetics and hypothyroids have in common. I think my GP was a little concerned /interested to see what it is now I am eating full fats. I’m hoping it will be as good as my FBS result. A 2011 group of readings varying between 4.9 and 8 is not as good as recent 3.8. God only knows what my fbs was in 2016, I. Really regret not having that test done before starting.

Bill, if you, cherrieanne or lynne could write up about blood sugars I would be happy to trawl through the forums to collate all the other information and start a new thread titled ‘useful information for new starters’. What do you all think? Cherrieanne, penny and janet1973 all know more about carbs than me. Cherrieanne also has a good understanding of technology – I’m thinking those fit bits. I could just copy and paste the fit bit info of course! When we are satisfied we could ask the team to make it ‘stick’, then it shouldn’t cost ยฃยฃยฃยฃ s

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, happy to – what would you like me to write up?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne, what about info on blood sugars? Dawn phenomenon. Rise in fbs so many weeks in which resolves itself?
    I’m out almost all day today but will start on it tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi Tallyhoo and congratulations ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll admit to being scared of blips and my ability to get back on the horse. So helpful to read about someone actually doing it!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, I’ll do my initial write up on word and email it to you for your thoughts. I’ll also email to Bill for the same reason. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone and welcome to the new veterans.

Now finished 16 weeks – full info on a new thread. But this week another 2 pounds off, total of 45 pounds. Fasting BG originally 10.9, today 4.4 – seems to have stabilised under 5 but prior to BSD struggled to get it under 7 with Dawn phenomenon.

• posted by barby
    on

Hello veterans. I posted a suggestion this morning for a sticky thread for newbies. I had no idea you were already working on something similar, I had never looked at this thread as you are all so far advanced on the journey compared with me. If I’d known, I wouldn’t have posted.

I’ve only found this thread now because NewLife kindly seconded my suggestion, so I looked to see how long she had been doing this and was interested in her great progress, then found this.

So I wanted to apologise to you all here for”jumping the gun” and look forward to reading your threads when you’ve had a chance to collate everything. Thanks for all the help. Barb.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Judith – I’m happy to add to the carb info along with Cherrianne and Penny (and anyone else). Do you imagine a thread just for info on carbs, how many, what kind, etc. Or would it be a more general nutrition thread with info about fat and protein as well. I’m imagining short posts with snippets of info?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith. I’ll email you later.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Don’t worry Barby. There are many on here not yet at the 8-week point but who will soon get there. We’re all in this together and support each other as much as we can.

I’m a golden (should that be silver?) oldie in more ways than one and have just completed 16 weeks. If you check out that thread you’ll see my progress.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Don’t be sorry barby, it just proves its a good idea when it comes from two independent sources!

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks all, Lynne I too am a silver oldie (or would be if I left the dye off)!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne I read your 16 weeks thread. Amazing results. Didn’t want to spoil it with a comment so doing it here. ๐Ÿ™‚

hi Janet, I’m thinking of one thread with information for new BSDers which can include all the useful stuff we have learned. I’m hoping that when we complete it newbies can ask questions in other forums so we can leave it as purely informative. ๐Ÿ™‚

Barby, absolutely no need to apologise, great minds and all that!!! Only the tech team can make it ‘sticky’ so I hope they will. We have learned so much on this journey and it will be so much easier for newbies to have an information thread written by the BSD old timers ๐Ÿ™‚

Bill is the ‘father’ of the forums so I want to see his input on this idea ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

I’m happy to help out Judith, I’ll email Bill so he can forward it and you can let me know what you want.
    I think Bill is much better at the tech stuff than the rest of us. I only posted about fit bits because I couldn’t stop laughing that John thought it was a toy boy! Actually still makes me chuckle now ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi all

I have completed my first eight weeks, have lost 25lb and I feel so much better. I still have a long road ahead of me, but I know I will get there with this fantastic way of eating. I will be staying on the 800cal for some time yet. We go away for two weeks holiday on Monday, we are going to the Dominican republic I will be making the best choice I can, but will be going over the 800 Cal’s at times.
    All the best Sharon

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great cherrianne, would you mind if Bill forwarded your email address to me??? ๐Ÿ™‚

You have a lot of medical knowledge and understanding, especially about blood sugar problems and carbs, Bill is our techy guy who also has a very good understanding of what can happen with blood sugars on this diet. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sharon, fantastic weight loss! I now go over 800 calories regularly but still losing weight slowly so with some good food choices I don’t think your hol should derail you. Have an absolutely wonderful time on your holiday, you deserve it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sharon meant to add congratulations on joining the veterans club! ๐Ÿ™‚

Janet I meant to add we could include things like what to expect in first week or two, the ‘carb/keto flu’ has taken so many of us by surprise -Headaches, lightheadedness etc.
    Each subject area can be under a post heading in the thread.
    We do tend to answer the same questions an awful lot – with answers like increase your fat intake, drink the 2 -3 litres of water, alternatives to just cold plain water etc etc

We could do with all suggestions for posts sent to just me, lynne, bill or whoever to collate them properly and then ask to have it frozen by the team. Frozen won’t be the technical term but you know what I mean!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Bill, I agree to the costs – what to the user seems like a small change can be enormous if it needs a full design change.
    We could ask the admins to set up a new forum – FAQ for anyone new to BSD, and a description making it clear it is applicable to Fast 800, BSD 5:2 and BSD Med Style. I probably needs a note that is from the forms experience not from MM.
    Likewise a chat area would be just another ‘forum’.
    Anyhow, I see something is moving on it….. looking forward to seeing the outcome.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Cherrianne, is it ok for Bill to pass your email address to me too?

Judith and Bill – please forward my email address to Cherrianne.

• posted by orchid
    on

I have been meaning to put up a post asking for others experience on the ‘wearables’ that you get for monitoring health, and asking others for their pro-cons. I have had a Garmin for 2 years now, worn all the time. it has its good points and bad ones so happy to contribute by thoughts on that.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith – meant to say – you never spoil threads with comments ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    Just to catch up on our natter! I went for a muddy walk yesterday before lunch with the family who are visiting, then today husband and I went on an even muddier walk, 45 mins round a big lake (although it’s called a pond?) through more woods, over bridges, and back to car, I love that walk, although it means a drive to it, it’s not far to drive, it’s just sometimes it’s not convenient if there are other factors to add in to the mix. I did a ketostix test a bit after eating yesterday, it was a pale pink, will do one today in a bit, we’ve just had lunch, I fasted from 9 pm until one today, so I hope I have lost weight in the morning I want to see the Magic number 12. Something! I have been losing ounces now for a couple of weeks, it’s coming off but slowly, very frustrating,
    How are you doing and how much have you to go yet, I have lost count of how many weeks I am since I got past the eight weeks I’ll have to make a note in my diary! When will you reach the 16 weeks mark, it seems a long way off to me at the moment.
    Cheers for now christine.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi kags
    I agree the natter bit is just as important, as a support to us all, I would never have got to the eight week mark had it not been for Bill, Judith, Lynne, and Janet and others too numerous to name. With a bit of natter in between in got me through, and I’m still doing the 800 diet but with added incentives, like the under 50g deal and the occasional (for me) 16 hour fast.
    Good luck to you and keep on posting cheers
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi cherrianne
    Loved the comment ‘that we show care and concern for others, I know that won’t change’ I think that is one of the most important parts of this forum, especially we one or other of us has a wobble! Thank you so much for the help you have given us all on this forum cheers
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi newlife
    I agree with you too,
    It’s the chat and support that gets me through this diet and sometimes wobbles and difficulties in other areas of my life. Cheers
    Christine

• posted by Trees
    on

Well done captainlynne and everyone

Just completed week 12 and still on the BSD — I have lost 45lbs. I am going to stay on the BSD with the blessing of my homeopathic doctor which I saw this week. He was very interested in BSD book and said that he will be telling his other patients about it. I also ask if I was getting a balanced diet — I was worried about my calcium intake — he said I was getting enough and that I didn’t need to take any supplements. And he’s looking forward to seeing me in three months and my progress. So here’s to the next three months!!!

• posted by Sharon
    on

Thanks Judith,

Feels good to be in the veterans club and thanks everyone for all the help and encouragement I have received. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Judith, what you said for the newbies thread sounds good to me. We’ll see what bill says.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

So here I am, nine weeks in. (I did an extra week to compensate for Easter excesses. ) I have lost almost 2 stone and I feel good. I still don’t exercise enough but as the weather improves I am to increase that. The thing is, I am finding it difficult to move on. I don’t know how long to stick with 800 and what to add if I decide to go 5:2. Any ideas?

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi EIMary
    BONZA!
    From an unwhinging Pom
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janice, I’m sticking with the principles of the fast 800, it’s so much easier than 5:2. Some days I eat around 800 other days anything up to 1300. Obviously my weight loss has slowed down but I am still slowly losing., but I don’t need to lose more than another 5lbs.
    I don’t exercise enough either but once the weather is warmer no doubt I will be doing a lot of gardening!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Trees, what your homeopathic doctor said re diet is really interesting, thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine, I like the sound of your walks, muddy or not!
    Well I started out at just over 11stones 9 and a half pounds, I am now 8stones 13lbs. I hope to lose another 5 lbs but I am now losing ounces at a time because I have increased my calories. I’m quite happy for it to take a few months to lose that other 5lbs so I can get some wear out of the clothes which now fit me ๐Ÿ™‚

That was a long fast period Christine. I am only getting pale pink on my ketostix now. I loved the few dark purple ones I got.

I’ve lost count of how many weeks I have done, I’m going to have to count it up on the calendar, I know I was a bit behind Lynne.

Today I met up with a cousin who I hadn’t seen for YEARS along with her family, so a very pleasant afternoon with lots to catch up on!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    Wow I’m hoping to see 12 stone something in the morning, never mind 11 lb, I am being realistic too, and doing it in stages, after tomorrow I expect t I will put a few pounds on over the week I’m away, however when I get back I will set another target.
    We love to got for walks when it’s a lovely day, cold or otherwise,
    It’s good to meet up with relatives ones in a while, we have a niece who’s husband has got a job in Florida of all places, they have had a stint in New Zealand and are in Chepstow at the moment, we are hoping to catch up with them befor they move out there, the husband is there already and they spend every holiday out there until the end of term in July then they will be off, niece is a teachers asistant, her daughter is finishing her a levels then she can go to university in the USA.
    I’m going to have to get a calendar to work out which week I’m on it can only be nine or ten weeks, you get lost in the days sometimes.
    Good luck with your 5lbs you want to lose.
    Christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.