One week at the time: week 5 – 15th May 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning all,
    Verano, thank you for all your support, hopefully you’ll feel better soon. I just started the new thread so hopefully can live up to your previous ones ๐Ÿ™‚

Skinny-to-be

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Morning all, again.
    Apologies for being quiet over the past few days, but I was very ‘clever’. I shut my fingers in the car door. don’t remember last time I was crying out from pain like this, (not even the childbirth because she was out in 4 hours ๐Ÿ™‚ after my waters were broken) as it was agonising pain. could barely hold anything in my hand let alone type.
    Anyhoo, I have lost a little amount of weight, about 1kg but the weekend after the slammed fingers in the car doors I needed to ‘nurse’ my ego so I had a scone, loads of nuts and two biscuits and lots of cheese with some crackers. Tripple time more cheese than crackers.
    I am trying to rectify it this week as the birthday is coming very fast and we have a 2.5week holidays ahead of us. Dreading that (the holiday, not the 40th birthday :-)) as may fall of the wagon big time.
    Thank you for all your posts and I do quietly envy all those with big losses. I think me dieting since January on other diets and then coming back to Fast 800, I am sort of coming to a plateau and not much to be expected to lose. But it doesn’t mean I won’t be trying to stay focused.
    Wishing you all the best for the days and the week ahead.
    Skinny-to-be
    xx

• posted by wendyq
    on

Skinny -to-be,that must have been so sore.I did something similar a few years ago,luckily took my wedding ring off right away and couldn’t get it back on for months as my fingers were so swollen and mangled.I’m trying really hard to rectify my carby weekend but finding it hard to get back on track again.I have friends around for lunch today,will just have salad while they have baked potato as well.Will make scones with jam and clotted cream but I won’t have any.My hubby wants to take me out for a meal tonight for my birthday,he feels he should really treat me.He knows it’ll sabotage my diet ,just trying to think where we can go that won’t be too bad.Actually I’d rather not go !I’d rather go on a hike or bike ride but he’s looking forward to a meal.I could just get a light thing like soup or salad,he can have his meal,then we’ll go for an evening hike.
    I’ve just got the Slimspirational recipe book on the kindle for some new ideas.
    Hope we can all have a good day and stay focused.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Happy birthday, Wendyq!
    Your plans sound heavenly, but I feel your pain. We had scones at John Lewis on Saturday after walking and enjoying the University college garden and it was heavenly. It was an olive sundried tomato scone. Need I tell you more….
    We’re also going to visit my family abroad very soon and as they won’t be with me on my birthday we’ll be doing ‘birthday stuff’ there. I have the skirt I want to fit in for my birthday and frankly I would need another 10kg loss to be stunning in it but I cannot lose that amount of weight in next 4+ weeks when two and half of those weeks we’ll be out and about.
    I’m told there’ll be even a ‘peacock cake’. How can I resist? My weight loss is not matching the speed of the weight loss I had and still have in my mind. I’ve already abandoned the idea of wearing that beautiful skirt on my actual birthday and will be focused to look hot in it on the first day my little girl goes to school. At least some memory of ‘2018’ I could and should show for. I cannot really complain as I am ‘smaller’ I have been in about 6 years but nowhere near I want to be…
    Well, here’s to the fabulous birthday celebrations (yeah, I know ๐Ÿ™ but if didn’t celebrate it would be like everybody has forgotten about us) and the DOWNWARD trend of numbers on the scales and BS.
    Happy birthday again.
    Sxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Skinny and Wendy – happy birthdays to you both! Sorry to hear about your fingers, Skinny, that must have really hurt! Bet the air was blue, well it would have been within a mile of me! It’s very hard when “having a life” gets in the way! Just do the best that you can. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Dear KazzUK,
    the Happy birthday is for Wendyq, I have to wait for mine for another month ๐Ÿ™‚
    Until then I’m still 39 young. when I turn 40 it’ll be a year when i’ll be hot too ๐Ÿ™‚ and will wear that darn beautiful skirt of mine.

Hope you’re well, KazzUK. And, yes, had it not been for my little girl sitting in the car and me being watchful what was coming out of my gob when I slam shut my fingers in the door, the world would hear the verbal diarrhoea. Instead I only(!) wimped like a puppy dog :-). The fingers started changing the shape on sunday from flat to ‘thinking’ to go to their natural shape. Almost there and at least I can type again ๐Ÿ™‚
    All the best,
    Skinny xx

• posted by Tululah
    on

hello all,
    Skinny to be – you and I had the same idea at around 10am this morning! We both started a new weekly ‘Verano’ thread! We must be on the same wave length:).
    Anyway Ill just jump over here and leave the other one, if you don’t mind?
    So, Ive been in and around for the last few months and have lost around a stone. I struggle with keeping it up though and more often than not end up going on ‘mini binges’ . I’m not going to see it as failing though as I’d rather see everything I’m doing this year as learning about myself at every step. I have 3 kids, a job, big family, busy life…..and many, many opportunities for cake eating!(As we all do). Ive got stones & stones to loose!
    What I have learned so far is:
    -that I feel very, very healthy (physically & mentally) when i do this properly
    -that I feel ill eating sugar (carbs)
    -that it is very easy to to go off track (one day off plan i can handle – 2 days and I’m lost to a world of carbs for a week.)
    -that even a tiny bit of sugar makes me want more sugar instantly
    -reducing my carbs and upping my calories helps me to drop weight.
    -getting enough sleep is key to my ‘will power’
    -making a food plan & keeping it simple with food and recipies really helps.
    -coming on to this site helps me keep focused – I don’t think it even matters who reads what I write half the time as its really about me clearing out my brain and getting prepared for the battle again. (I do love the chat too though!:))
    So, off we go…another week of discoveries – over the next week I’m going to try some 16 hours fasts (6pm to 12 noon) and see how I get on. I plan to drop 4lbs. Good luck all, Ill try and check in every day this week. Tully xxxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi – am joining this thread also as I do find the weekly challenges very motivating. Tululah – I am doing some fasts also this week and hopefully they will improve my insulin sensitivity.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Dear Talulah,
    I can soooooooooo relate to you ๐Ÿ™‚
    One thing is I cannot do moderation, I cannot do ‘just a bite’ or ‘just one biscuit’…as long as there is still food, I’m on in.
    I am good at not having rather than just a ‘bite’. And that was exactly my ‘problem’ yesterday. I was rushing out of the door and just grabbed a banana. I know you’re not supposed to eat them because of the amount of carbs and I don’t even like bananas. but when I ate that darn thing and checked the carbs and realised one stupid thing had 27g of carbs I just blew the whole day. When you walk into your kitchen and open the fridge and cupboard and whatever is edible it was also in my house and guess what….I ATE IT all.
    I knew it’s bad but I thought I’m not going to beat myself up, i’ll do fasting tomorrow, and was happy shoving the food into my gob.
    I felt happy and today after yesterday’s monster feed I’m fasting. I feel happy today and as you said I have stones to shift myself.
    At the moment, or last weighing in I was 78.6kg and I want to be 10kg less. when I started dieting I was 92kg, not proud of it but am feeling better for it with the number of my current weight. I know I won’t be able to shift the 10kg for my birthday which is 18th june, but i’ll be 68kg in September when I take my little girl to school on her first day.
    I am not beating myself up, I told myself to enjoy yesterday’s pigging out as long as it stopped.
    Today is a new day and the thought of yesterday make me want to be good today, tomorrow, Saturday and so it goes.

xx

• posted by wendyq
    on

We had a lovely tapas meal last night and have just had greek yogurt and seeds for breakfast,that’s me back on track.
    Tululah,I agree with everything you’ve said.I’m not that great at making food plans but realise many people do this and it helps a lot.One thing I’m going to do is make soup and freeze it in portions so that’s one less thing to think about.
    Skinny-to-be,I’m glad your fingers are getting back to their normal shape and that you’re able to type.
    Hope we can all have a good day and stick to our carbs and calories.I’m away to pick up my son from respite then plan to spend a few hours in the garden.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Morning all! Its a lovely day here and I’m on it! Feeling like crap for some reason, sore head etc but I’m so determined to stop going of track and get my next stone off. I don’t even mind if I dot loose anything else for another 4 months after it but I now need to move down to the next level and let my body get used to being there.
    Skiiny to be – Might not have been the realisation of the amount of carbs that made you blow the whole day but the FACT that they are so carb laden (sugar laden) that your body just craved after eating it. Its hard to tell between conscious and unconscious decisions isn’t it!? Not to worry though – just stay away from bananas!! I try and have nuts, cold meat, small tins of tuna, pepperami sticks, cheese slices, boiled eggs in the fridge to grab (easier said than done I know!). Maybe we can all share our ‘easy grabs’ later on?
    Krysia – going to try my first long fast from tomorrow night from 6pm (out for tapas tonight) – want to join me (fast not tapas sorry):)? Are you doing 18 hour like me or different?
    KazzUK & WendyQ – Hope you have a great day today!
    Today I’m going to try and not get fixated on where I want to be but rather where I am right now.
    Keep smiling and breathing chickadees, Tully x

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Wendyq, I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday. as you could see I was ‘celebrating ‘ your birthday too ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    I have a fantastic recipe for a courgette soup which I got from a Spanish lady who worked with me. my little girl absolutely loves it. it’s very simple, little in carbs and cals and very tasteful.
    I do not do measurements I’ll just tell you how I make it.
    Fry one onion, doesn’t matter how thick or thin you cut it as you’ll blitz it at the end anyway.
    When the onion is translucent, put three chopped courgettes in to ‘sweat’ a bit with the onions. Add water, but, careful, add only so much water it barely covers otherwise it’s going to be too watery. Add an oxo cube and bring to boil. when the courgettes are soft, take off the heat and blitz it until nice and smooth. Grate some cheese on top and that’s it.
    When I get an abundance of courgettes from my friends allotment this is our GO TO recipe.
    Also, another thing I have learnt from my Italian friend is to BOIL a courgette (I know, ridiculous, isn’t it?) until it’s soft. take out cut into rings or just lengthways and put some seasoning on and it’s delicious. I was rolling my eyes too before I tried it and it’s awesome.
    Hope any of that is tried and I hope if, that you like it ๐Ÿ™‚
    S x

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

It makes my laugh, Talulah, we again missed each other’s posts as we were typing at the same time.
    Maybe it’s the universe telling us to buddy up for a weight loss competition who’s going to lose the next stone first ๐Ÿ™‚
    I knew about the bananas but don’t know why I grabbed it. But in the afternoon I was only happy to fall off the wagon with being on the fasting day today. Last time I ate was at 7pm and I’m not eating anything until tomorrow morning.
    I usually eat in the afternoons because when I start eating I eat. I’m sure that fast will rectify some of the damage I’ve done. Hopefully.
    Wishing you all the best ladies
    x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, just going to hang on the coat tails of this thread as I have one week before I go on my next jaunt. One week in the UK for my daughters big 40th birthday bash. Her boyfriend has arranged a hog roast but they dont provide the sides so I am hoping to fill the tables with different salads – any ideas would be welcome – besides the usual salad stuff I want bean salads, artichoke salads – but not sure she will go for that. Anyway, we were at a charity dinner last night and low and behold, I have lost weight – we had gaspacho, then chicken in mushroom sauce served with a grilled tomato and saute potatoes which I didn’t eat. The dessert was a typical French cheapie serving of yoghurt with a raspberry couli topping served in a blue bottomed glass so it looked like the French flag but very healthy. Hoping to lose another 2lbs before we head off so still being serious about this. Have a good week everyone.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Skinnytobe – the courgette soup sounds fab. I am fasting today but Iโ€™m going to make it to take to work tomorrow and will take some grated cheese for the top. Also, I am going to try boiled courgette. I am desperate to try new food ideas as I am fed up of eating the same old things- Thank you for posting these courgette ideas.

Cathy

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Dear Cathy,
    When you try the soup please let me know what you think. One thing I cannot stress enough is NOT to put too much water. it really needs to be no more than the top level of the courgette otherwise it’ll be too thin. you don’t want that. if thick you can still add some water but cannot take it out.
    The boiled courgette doesn’t need any other seasoning than salt and pepper. I absolutely love it. I worked with the Spanish and Italian guys in my previous job and we spent about 50% of our time talking about food. No surprise there ๐Ÿ™‚
    I also learnt the proper Italian tomato sauce. Try the courgette stuff and let me know and then i’ll write up the tomato sauce (also I’m at work and my lunch break is just coming up to the end), which again, my little girl and I (my husband cannot stand ‘the red again sauce’ as he calls it) love it very much. The good thing is that making it yourself you know what goes in and no added cr4p is there.
    Happy days everybody!
    S xx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi ladies!
    Agree on all abowe! (to much to comment)
    I’m in to. Love the one week treads. Its short enough to stay on the wagon. (I’m also in the 4w Wrooomtread because there wasn’t a 1w up.)
    Tululah good idea!
    Here comes 2 of my easy to grab.
    At breakfast I wheigt in 20 g of different nuts in a small bowl. I take one when I “need” something in my mouth. I bring them with me when leave home. The Brazil nut is high in selenium witch most people lack. 2 will give daily dose. I take 2 with afternoon coffee as cookies!
    In the refrigator I always keep a very strong cheese. As little as 5 gram will do!
    Have a wonderful day!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, everyone! Whenever I’m going to be out for the day, I always have a hard boiled egg and 8 almonds in my
    handbag. They are my “go to’s” and I’ve never been caught with nothing BSD friendly to eat.!
    Buddhaswife, like you, I have 2 brazil nuts a day for the selenium. I think I must have read the same research that
    you have, that most of us are deficient. How are you enjoying this way of eating?

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Talulah – will join you on the fast – although shame it’s not the Tapas. Am doing an 18 hour fast. I find eating earlier in the day suits me better. So I finished eating at 1pm and will eat again at 7am tomorrow. Did an 18 hour one yesterday and will do another 18 hour one tomorrow.

Did my first fast ever last Thursday and it was brilliant. I have just one or two cups of coffee with a teaspoon of cream during the fast and the rest is just loads of water.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Krysia. This seems to be working well for you! Are you working on an every other day schedule? I’m getting
    cream in tomorrow, and going to give myself another try at this. What are your thoughts about 24-48 hr. fasts?
    Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi All โ€” I found it was another learning curve to figure out how to fast โ€” it took me many tries to finally get to 24 hours โ€” when I finally did get there, I thought โ€œwell what took me so long!โ€ โ€” it is important to keep busy with something that really interests you and stay away from ALL food and even pictures of food (can you believe how much food is advertised on TV?)
    Also I personally can get a bit โ€œstupidโ€ after 20 hours of fasting so I donโ€™t do anything important at that point. Because my brain gets slow I am probably not a candidate for a longer fast but 24 hours works brilliantly anyway,

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Julia, for the words of encouragement! I think what you are describing 20 hrs in is brain fog ๐Ÿ™‚ I had
    years of that with lyme disease, so I know enough not to operate heavy machinery or an oversized chef’s knife!
    Staying clear of food and cooking seems like a wise idea too. I could pre-prepare meals for husband and leave
    them in the frig, and then ask him to consume them elsewhere? I’m going to have to present this as something
    other than a wt. loss objective on my part, though, or he will certainly disapprove. He consistently comments that
    I’ve taken all of this too far. He’s WRONG, of course ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

xxx

on

Skinnytobe- Iโ€™ve made the soup and it looks thick and delicious, I added Swiss Marigold bouillon powder rather than oxo as I am vegetarian. I canโ€™t taste it today because I am fasting but it smells delicious and I am going to grate a handful of cheddar cheese tomorrow and take it to work for my lunch.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Oh, Cathy,
    I’m glad you like the smell of the soup ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m telling you when you heat it up and put the cheese on when it’s melting it’s like heaven. I absolutely love it.
    I admire your will power as if I made the soup today (I’m fasting since 7pm yesterday until tomorrow morning because of the above) I wouldn’t be able to resist. For me better to have nothing than having something just a little bit. even if I licked a spoon to check whether the seasoning is ok I would end up breaking the fast. I’m that bad.
    I’m actually out of courgette but really talking about it I may pop to the shops and boil the courgette with some hard boiled egg and other greens for tomorrow lunch it’s me thinking.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow after lunch ๐Ÿ™‚
    Bon appetite in advance.
    S x

• posted by wendyq
    on

Thanks for the soup recipe Skinny,I ‘m not a huge fan of courgettes but will get some and try it over the weekend.I’ll try the boiled courgette as well.How many calories and carbs would you say the soup is?Alliecat,that’s a good idea to have an egg and nuts in your bag in case you’re hungry when you’re out.There’s so much good advice on these forums.I have 10g brazils and pecans most days,keep them for when I’m hungry.About 3 brazils and 8 half pecans are 10g,I don’t weigh them anymore.My son and his wife are coming for dinner tomorrow so my bedtime reading is the Slimspirational book and I’ll make something from it for them. I was out buying ice lollies and ice cream for the family today,looking at the carbs and realising I couldn’t have any of them!Do any of you make your own ice lollies or ice cream?May just mix greek yogurt with pureed berries(think this has been on a thread on here before) and freeze them.
    To all of you who do the fasting,how has it helped you to lose weight?

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Good evening!
    Allie I realy like this WOE!
    I try to simply. I eat the same breakfast everyday: 40-50 g kokonut milk, 5 g oatmeal, 10-20 g strawberry/ black currant/raspberry from last summers harvest. Coffee with kokonut milk. And 20 nuts for the day. I’m blessed with a wonderful husband that supports me fully. Usualy he cook his own carbs for dinner, pasta potato etc so I dont have to even think of them. Then he prepare salad for two and wheigt in everything on my plate! I usually write here that I manage 20/800 thanks to all of you here and MyFitnessPal but I realy should add my man!
    So far I dont feel a need for fasting, wheigt is steady going
    down. And I like to keep the routine of thre meals/day. I’m still totaly amazed that this works so “effortless”! Its more effective than anything else I’ve tested. And this forum is so special, not expected, help in so many ways!
    Have a nice evening!
    See you tomorrow!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Dear Wendyq,
    I just crunched the numbers and 500g of courgettes with 1x100g onion comes to 121cals and 15g carbs. Mind you you get about 4-5 servings of the soup depending on the size of your bowl or appetite. I love it so much that if my little one didn’t love it equally I’d polish the whole pot. Luckily, she knows when she’s had enough. Wheras it cannot be said about me.
    Grated cheese, crumbled blue cheese or just slices of cheese on boiling hot soup….aaaaah, I’m in heaven just thinking about it. It’s my fasting day today so my imagination is at its best.
    The boiled courgette comes 18cals per 100g courgette and 1.8g carbs.
    It is a very good veg. I also like it sliced and fried with a bit of halloumi on the side and it doesn’t get any better than that โ˜บ.
    You probably get it by me talking about the food how high it gets me each time I talk about food. And when I eat there’s not a happier person in the world…

Hope you’ll find the soup delicious and learn to love this little veg.
    All the best, girls.
    S x

• posted by Tululah
    on

Ive got a pile of courgettes in the fridge! Yeah. Soup it is tomorrow. Thanks Skinny! My MIL used to make courgette soup come to think of it and my kids loved it so sounds like a winner all round. Hope you all had a good day today. Mine was ok. Getting slowly back on track. Usually takes me a couple of days to return fully from Carbland. Lost a pound since yesterday though so on the right track. 3 more to go to get me back to where I was 2 weeks ago. Its such a battle ground. – but bring it on!
    Skinny to be – Your on!:)
    Thanks for the fasting info all.
    Here’s to a great day tomorrow everyone!
    Night all ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

Thank you for guiding me over here, Talulah! Hope you don’t mind me joining in, all of you? I started the BSD on Tuesday 15th and it is really good to have contact with other people on it and a weekly ‘challenge’. I am super desperate to lose my tummy! (Amongst other wobbly bits!) Feels like a long way to go (got to shed at least 3.5 stone). Slightly dreading the no-booze situation at weekends…My first 3 days have been ok although I think I’m just over 900 calories today. Couldn’t resist a pot of Skyr in the fridge… I’ve put some sugar-free jelly in the fridge for emergencies!!! Does anyone else do this or is it just me??? The soup sounds lovely although, I seem to have done so many diets in my life that involve soup, I’ve become a bit anti-soup over time! Must try harder!
    Tummymummy x

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning girls,
    Not sure how warm it’s outside but the singing birds make it so lovely this morning. Here’s to the new and wonderful day.
    Talulah – my fasting, from 7pm on Wednesday (after eating everything AND the kitchen sink) until this morning at 6 am(35 hours) helped me to lose 0.5kg. Doesn’t sound much as I usually lose about 1.2kg, but if losing ‘only’ 0.5kg it shows that pigging out on Wednesday helped me to gain in that one afternoon A LOT.
    It just shows the rewards are being gained much slower than fat gains.
    Tummymummy, welcome. beside the health benefits being on this WOE there’s also an element of vanity here, I’m being one with it. Need to lose the flab to fit into the skirt I bought 14 (!) Years ago with the attitude ‘I’ll lose weight into it’. Hasn’t happened yet. Although I lost 2.5st in many months (being on random diets that deprive you of certain foods) until I eventually came back ‘home’. This was the only ‘diet’ or way of eating and wsy of life that works. A lot of great people and knowledge here to give the support needed.
    Alliecat – I’m completely with you on husbands. Mine, although complimenting me ‘taking less room in any room I’m in’ he does have the adverse effect on me. He can stress me out with his questions and deliberate counter statements that gets me to raid the cupboards and fridge. I stopped him asking me about the foods I’m eating and how I’m eating. So far it works.
    I’m sure when I’m really in THAT skirt then he’ll be standing next to me like a peacock sending signals ‘ That hot chickie is my wife’ โ˜บ.
    We’re all on the correct track here.
    Thank you for your support and encouragement so far.
    All the best for today.

P.s. My mantra – NOTHING TASTES BETTER AS BEING SKINNY (or healthy or else please chose) FEELS.

Soon Skinny for now Skinny-to-be
    X

• posted by pkd2004
    on

Well yesterday was a blowout! Iโ€™ll follow your example tummymummy and fast a bit longer today. Cheese and wine tasting, crunchie and cake (alcohol is a serious breaker of good habits!). Feeling a bit seedy this morning but totally accepting of my blip (I chose to do it, no one forced me) and getting back on track again and hoping not too much damage done ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿท ๐Ÿง€

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Allie,
    The fasts just slotted effortlessly into 4 of my work days. I have time for a leisurely breakfast and a leisurely lunch but absolutely no time at all for dinner – so on those days it is pure joy to have a cup of lovely coffee with a teaspoon of cream. Tuesdays and Saturdays I can’t do that because classes run in the middle of the day so will do a leisurely breakfast and a leisurely dinner around 5pm with coffee at lunch time. Sunday is my day off and we are usually out walking at a National Trust property for the day so I follow Tuesday’s eating pattern also as I never eat the lovely National Trust sausage rolls but they do make lovely coffee.

My special treat – You might have guessed – is to have a lovely coffee with a teaspoon of cream. So to be able to have a cup of coffee as part of the fast is wonderful and it actually doesn’t feel like I am fasting.

I think 24hour plus fasts give even more benefits but at 18 hours I start getting a fuzzy brain so wouldn’t be safe to drive at 20 hours or over. I walked into an open wall cupboard door this morning and that was only at 18 hours!

Did you get the cream for your coffee?

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

My weakness is cream in my coffee! I’ve just had one. Non-stop day at school ahead (I’m a teacher) so I need a good start so that, combined with a banana pancake has set me up for it nicely! Rather envious of the cheese and wine tasting! I’m trying to lose 2 stone fast for a week in Brittany in July so I am looking forward to some serious cheese and wine there! Alcohol is definitely a breaker of good habits – once I’ve had a nice glass or two, it’s easy to pick at all sorts of delights!
    Skinny-to-be – I’ve got some gorgeous barely worn summer dresses in my wardrobe that I haven’t fitted into since 2013 and I couldn’t bear to part with them so I can empathise with your size 14 dress! I lost 3.5 stone back then and kept it off for the longest period in my life. Started v low calorie then went low carb. All wonderful until an awful life event and I got miserable and gradually put most of the weight back on! EMOTIONAL EATER ALERT!
    I think carbs are the devil. I never feel full on them no matter how many I eat!!!!
    Well, I must dash. Going to be late for work if not!
    I am 2lbs down since Tuesday so I am really pleased and motivated by the results already. Keep going all of you!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

weight is back down to what it was last Friday – i.e. 3lb total loss – just need to drop 2lbs by Wednesday.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Afternoon all!
    Welcome Tummymummy! You found us. Lots of great people with great advice here! I think the thing thatIve found on this WOE (way of eating) is just how little you need to eat to survive! I cant believe how much we are made to eat, by food companies, governments, adverts, well intentioned post-war parent an grandparents, slimming clubs! Its everywhere – EAT! EAT! EAT! Its a message that just seems to have been drilled into us. Why are you not eating? You should be eating. Oh my god if I don’t eat something terrible will happen. PANIC Mr Mannering!!! (That joke will be lost on you if you have never seen a program called Dads Army.). Anyway that’s what I enjoy most. The feeling of being calm about eating, being in control (when I’m in contol:)) .Not being scared of hunger. Its very powerful.
    pkd2004 – I feel your pain. Alcohol seriously derails me. Its not so much on the night but the days that follow. I just feel so crappy that i graze all week. (on carbs) .You sound really positive though and taking it all on the chin.:)

I’m so jealous of you all with your coffees and cream – sound heavenly but alas I don’t drink coffee. Never have. Have been thinking about taking it up recently as I also have a condition that gives me pain and interferes with sleep so I’m sluggish a lot. Its just so bitter and i fear that if i did make myself like it Id become a fiend!:) I’m already a tea fiend – never tried cream in my tea…mmmm????
    Ive lost another pound yesterday so feeling positive about the journey ahead. My 2 sisters (who are doing slimming world) still think I’m crazy as they are loosing steadily. It gets tiring arguing with them. One of my sisters has lost 3.5 stones in a year. My friend has also lost 8 stones in 3 years. Its so hard to not feel tempted to join them once again when I see there success but it just doesn’t work for me. Funnily enough though I asked my friend who has lost lots of weight to tell me exactly what she was eating one day and I worked it out as less than 1,000cals and it was very low carb. She wasn’t even having rice or pasta on those days. So not really rocket science. Seems to me that SW have just researched and taken on a lot of the BS diet principles. Not a bad thing but unfortunately they still talk a lot of rubbish at meetings, give bad advice, keep you eating a lot of horrible sweeteners, make fats & oils out to be ‘bad’ and ‘guide’ customers to their own ”nutritious”products. No offense, as it obviously works for some but this is my choice and where I’m staying. Phew. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
    Off to make courgette soup now! Ive only got 6 more hours to eat!!!
    Have a fab day, Tully :)xxxxx

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

Weightwatchers and Slimming World just don’t work for me. I find this easier to control and the results are quicker. And these forums replace the meetings you attend so they’re not necessary. When I have been very low carb in the past, my skin has been beautiful, my hair has been fuller – I look the picture of health. I find I don’t digest carbs well now so I feel better when I cut them out. I think that’s quite common as you get older.
    Definitely take up coffee! It’s good for you! Although, not granules – the proper stuff! I love tea too but find coffee a treat in the mornings.
    I agree about the amounts of food we all it. Portion control is probably the thing most responsible for my weight. I’m very bad at it! I just simply eat too much of a good thing! Not sure I could maintain 800 calories forever but if it shrinks my stomach down and I can maintain with med diet once the bulk of the weight has gone, that’s perfect.
    Right – back to work! Prepping for Year 3 next…
    Tummymummy x

• posted by Tululah
    on

Well… that didn’t take long! Courgette soup is delish!!! Thank you so much Skinny! Im off work today so experimenting!
    Here’s what my fitness has worked out and stored my recipe as:
    700g courgette
    1 small red onion (120g)
    1 TBS butter
    1 Knorr chicken stock cube (2.3 grams cards! I never knew….)
    garlic puree
    3 TBS single cream (added at the end – couldn’t resist!)
    ***get 6 small portions – 63 cals & 4.6g carbs each bowl
    I just had a bowl with a teeny tiny bit of Roquefort cheese in it and it was amazing.
    Also found a massive courgette which I think Ill try & stuff tonight – will report back.:)xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

There’s a Good Eats thread which has recipes posted if you fancy a browse…..
    I have never felt so good since getting back on my wagon 3 weeks ago now…. the embarrassing internal wind and gurgles on the left hand side are a distant memory!
    Krysia – you’ve got yourself into a great routine with your fasts… Anyone ever tried bullet proof coffee? I haven’t but Jason Fung mentions it in one of his youtube clips… just wondering on people’s thoughts ??
    Back to the grind!
    Kx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Tully, that sounds wonderful! I’m going to definitely give this a go at the weekend…. Thanks for the recipe, Skinny!

• posted by wendyq
    on

I made the courgette soup this morning Skinny and had some for lunch with some grated cheese,it was delicious.I have the rest in containers to go in the freezer.Hope it isn’t too long before you fit into your skirt.Years ago i lost weight and kept trying on this pair of trousers,when they eventually fitted it was a wonderful feeling.
    Tululah,I know what you mean about people thinking you’re not eating enough and how little you actually need.My hubby was worried when I told him what I was doing but is fine now as I’m seeing results.I’m not starving and have loads of energy etc.I have a friend who has lost almost 8 stone with S/W and my sister went to WW for years but got fed up with them.Years ago I went to WW,had half a stone to lose and the leader said I was unrealistic expecting to lose it!Wish I just had half a stone to lose now!
    Today I went clothes shopping with a friend,charity shopping,it was good fun and I got 2 new outfits.She said she didn’t realise I had a waist,it has just come back after a long time.Looking forward to going shopping when I’m the next size down.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

hello girls,
    I just came back from a training and looking and reading your posts.
    I’m so excited that you like the soup ๐Ÿ™‚ and Tully, thank you for running the numbers on the myfitpal. I based my calculations on 500g courgettes and one 100g onion. it’s still good seeing how little carb that green soup carry yet it gives a fantastic taste, is quick to make and you can ‘jazz’ it up with any type of cheese. I was surprised how creamy it was the first time I made it and have also found myself trying to put some cream into it but didn’t find it as lush as when on it’s own. But again, it is a very versatile soup so whatever you put into it or on top of it (I had a few times a chopped egg instead of cheese, also very delish) it’s what makes it.

Wendyq – reading your post yesterday and not being friends with courgettes I was hoping you’d try it. Reading your post today made me smile. I am happy you like it. When trying the boiled courgette let me know whether it’s also something you find interesting :-).
    Also, your charity shopping made me giggle, I have actually pulled a pair of jeans out of the wardrobe I couldn’t part with, got them about 7-8 years back when they were sitting nicely on my hips, put them on this morning and need to say after many years of not being not only ABLE to wear but not even getting into them, I took them to work with me. My @ss looks very cool but because I’m nowhere near the weight these Levi’s cater for, they still make me look good. sometimes it pays not to throw stuff when we cannot fit into it. who would believe these things get the joy of being worn again. Next stop, THAT skirt :-).

Cathy – where are you? You were the first one making the soup but NOT eating it because you were fasting, please let me know whether your lunch today was delicious as the smell yesterday when making it.

After my yesterday’s or 35 hours fasting I ate from 8am until about 12.30pm so am easing off for now because am quite full. Let’s see whether I can give the body enough time to process whatever I’ve fed it and get ready for the weekend. At the end of the day it is Pentecost this weekend and we have ‘Bring and share lunch’ on Sunday after the mass so need to save some calories tomorrow and probably ‘overindulge’ on 1200 cals and no more than 30-35g carbs at lunch.

Happpy days all.
    Skinny to be
    x

on

Skinnytobe- the courgette soup was a WIN! Delicious with grated cheddar on top. The only thing was that mine was too salty and I think I put too much marigold bouillon powder in. It will definitely be on my lunch list again and next time with some Stilton! It really fills you up and so easy to make. So simple and so delicious. Can’t wait to try boiled courgette next week. My work mates laugh at some of my lunchtime concoctions so wait til they see that coming out if my lunch box next week. For comedy value I won’t slice it until I get to work! Have a good weekend everyone. My fast didn’t show any weight loss this morning! May take a day or so to show! Disappointing but still feel like I’m back in control. Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by caronl
    on

Skinny-to-be I have joined the courgette soup club thank you. I had more or less given up on soup after having too much during WW. But it is nice to come back to a more summery version. I didn’t bother with the stock cube, and just used a garlic clove and a bayleaf. Still delicious!

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

Wow – 63 calories!?! I might have to try it out despite my soup-phobia/fatigue! Think I’ll be at about 950 cals by the end of the day. I’m hoping anything under 1000 calories a day is good and it won’t make too much difference! I ate another tempting skyr… at lunch time and ate an apple that I brought in for my morning Reception class to demonstrate seeds and growth cycle etc. Couldn’t resist once I’d chopped it up! But I didn’t touch ANY of the birthday cakes that were in the staff room so hooray for me!
    Congratulations on the jeans, Skinny-to-be! What a result!!!
    Happy Weekend! x

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Hello girls,
    The courgette soup club! I’m loving it โ˜บ
    Cathy, I’m so glad to hear from you and that you loved it. You may have started the curiosity of the courgette soup spreading. Regarding the boiled courgette, I’d say try it at home before you take it to work. The courgette is nicer when warm/hot as you may not be that keen on a cold one first. Just the heads up to you all. It is very delish.
    Tummymummy, I hope this soup will change your view on soups again.
    Caronl – delighted you like it too.
    Your cooking made me to pop to the shops and get some courgettes too and to cook and boil it. Yummy.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend
    Skinny-to-be xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I love the sound of the courgette soup. Am definitely joining the courgette soup club.

Have done just over a week of the eTRF version of intermittent fasting flagged up by Luvtcook so have only done 5 ร— 18/6 fasts. Blood sugar 4.3 this morning, a dramatic drop in blood pressure and a surprise loss around my waist. From the very first day the eTRF felt so right for my body and I think that these stats after just one week confirm my gut feeling that this was right for me. Although we can’t check our fasting insulin levels I think that be drop in waist circumference must signal less insulin resistance.

Finding out that I can have coffee with a teaspoon of cream during the fast made an 18hr fast possible for me – so thank you JGwen for posting what you have on a fast. Without the coffee I couldn’t do a fast – or I suppose I could but really wouldn’t have enjoyed it so it wouldn’t have been something I could do long term.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Some asked about bullet coffee, its very high in calories, around 450 if done to the original recipe. – So bit difficult to fit in when your daily cals are 800.

For those interested in working out the best ratio of fat, protein and carbs but understanding their interaction there is a youtube video by Dr Kikman that I posted on the take a look at this thread last week which you may find helpful.

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s a great result, Krysia! I’d be elated to decrease my waist measurement. I’ve just had a grocery delivery that
    includes cream, so I’m feeling positive about trying this too! Have a wonderful weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Tululah
    on

Good morning lovely people! Sun shining here again today, hope it is where you are! ๐Ÿ™‚
    So I’m at hour 16 of my first proper fast. Can eat again at 12:30! Its absolutely fine. Ive really only stopped eating after dinner last night ans skipped breakfast this morning. (I had a cup of tea with cream this morning!) The thing that Ive taken from it how much I graze at night ans Im probably doing a few hundred extra calories between dinner and bed. I got the urge to ‘nibble’ about 15 times last night before i went to bed so that in itself makes it worth keeping up for me. Going to do it again tonight. I need to read more about it and figure out when and what Ill do exactly.
    Krysia you seem to be very knowledgeable – can you direct me to some information please?
    Skinny – did you say you had done a 35 hour fast?!!
    Ive lost 3.6lbs in 3 days so I’m over the moon.
    I didn’t stuff that courgette last night – I made pakora with it instead…yum…. and still kept my carbs under 30 for the day!
    Keep up the great work everyone, Tully ๐Ÿ™‚ xxxxx

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good royal wedding afternoon all,
    Tully, I did 35 hour fast when I ate at 7pm on Wednesday and weight myself on Friday morning at 6am. I fast on Thursdays the whole day and I always thought how difficult it might be but I ‘offer’ it for very close to me couple who’ve been married for 5 years and had 3 failed IVFs. I dedicate my irrelevant ‘suffering’ and dedicate it for them to experience the joy of having a family.
    It puts things into perspective and makes it easier to fast. The constant reminder to keep going….

Too heavy? Might be but it makes it much easier.

I hope you’re all are having a wonderful afternoon.
    S x

Please log in or register to post a reply.