One Week at a Time: Week 6, May 22nd

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

So week 6 starts tomorrow, Tuesday , and hopefully we can all make it a really productive one. After all it’s just seven days!
    My personal challenge for these seven days will be to stay away from wine, always difficult when away, but I will do my very best to just have an odd glass in the evening only. Mind over matter!
    Looking forward to some company.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Verano, great to see you back and thanks for starting the new thread! Wine is often my downfall too! I am moving up to Scotland next week and last Friday was my leaving dinner/drinks. I had told myself I could have what I wanted, but food wise I stuck to BSD food, except about 4 bites of lovely crusty bread (and I left loads of bread on the plate!). Had far too much wine and prosecco though!
    Hungover brunch on Saturday morning, had a full English but the toast wasn’t actually that nice so I left it (which is real progress for me!) usually I would just eat any carbs if they were on my plate, whether I was full or not, whether they were tasty or not.
    Weight-wise I’ve stayed the same this week, which I think is ok given that I haven’t really been too focused on calories and carbs. I think the next 11 days until we move house I am just focusing on maintaining, and then once we have moved and unpacked, we will be upping our exercise a lot so that will help with the weight loss. Only 9lbs to target so I’m just taking it slow and seeing it as pre-maintenance really. Hopefully I’ll be at target by the end of July, so that’s my long-term goal.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi! I’m in to! Thank you Verano for setting up this one week!
    Love love love one-weekers! ❤️❤️❤️
    Congrats Nicola for the bread success! Well done!
    Alklhol is not really my challenge so I just take Moosleys advice to stay away from it totaly in 8w.
    So when the first 8w round ended we went to a champagne testing. 😂
    Now on second 8w I wont drink. Here in Sweden things has slowly changed and today you are more and more respected for saying now thanks to alcohol. I might be the overall growing knowledge of food and health – and all the conscious yong people in the vegan movement. They often choose to stay away from all alcohol!
    Goal this week is to steadily continue down in weight. I dont care about how much I go down as long as its down but one kg would be nice! I wheigt in every morning and take measurements once a week. Tomorrow is next time.
    Today I went from obesity to overweight and I will find some nice nonfood reward! 87.88 kg (from 102.1 in januari). Next goal is 85 kg.
    Want to step up exercise as well but that is harder. I dont have the time.😕 Work is extremely tough right now.
    Verano and Nicola good luck! You will nail it!
    Love your company this week! Let the best parts of us rule!

• posted by Tululah
    on

Buddhas wife – Big congratulations on ‘just’ being overweight! You must feel fantastic?!
    I still have 40 lbs to get to being just being overweight but I’m marking my achievements down in steps of 2.5% overall body weight loss. I’m over the 5% now so my weight loss goal for this week coming is to get to 7.5% loss of my overall weight. Just another way to look at it!
    My main goal for this week is to keep the control going throughout the weekend and into next week and not have any booze at all also. So quite a few of us in the no booze club this week (and weekend!)? Booze and you loose.
    I go away in a fortnight for a mini break and would rather keep my class of vino until then.:)
    Good luck with the move Nicola.
    Tully :)x

• posted by Tululah
    on

Verano – already welcomed you back on the other thread! But Ill do it again – YEAHHHH – welcome back. Tully xxx

• posted by CrispEatingMum
    on

Hi first week for me, just hoping to see good results which will encourage me to keep going. First day was today, lovely lunch but I’m still hungry! Dreading carb flu also…. does everyone get that to some extent?

X

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi Crisp eating mum, its my first day today too. I have returned from holidays last night as a fat flabby jelly, but I ordered the book whilst I was away to be ready for today. Im having to change some of the meals as I have not done my big shop yet, ( going tonight) but I really wanted to start today
    No wine for me for a while I fear!

• posted by Pauley
    on

The last 2 days have been awful with regards to bsd-ing. Have been away for a couple of days and having a few drinks really awoke the carb monster. Feeling bloated and tired but am absolutely committed to start afresh tomorrow!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Thanks for the new thread Verano. So this week’s challenge is to attend a family festival from Thurs to Sun and stick to my 800/ 8 weeks programme. Eek!
    I have been a little over in cals for the past few days but carbs have been 50g max. The weight is shifting and all seems well so I am determined to keep up the good work while away. The thought of phoning it in at this stage (in my 5th week) fills me with horror so I hope to keep on the straight and narrow.

Pauley – don’t beat yourself up, just get back on the pony. Occasional lapses are bound to happen. The fact that that we know what to do to correct it is amazing.

Crispeatingmum- your name could be my name. Seriously. However not 1 crisp has passed my lips for 4.5 weeks 😮 i know, right!? So yes, hunger will happen for the first few days and maybe into the 2nd week. Carb flu happens – headache, and nausea and a funny tummy were my symptoms but they passed in a day. Drink lots of water and give yourself a break for a couple of weeks if you can. On the plus side you see the weight falling off you within a few days. I read it and didn’t believe it but it happened. Download Fatsecret app to log your food and set it to log carb totals. I find it a huge help.
    Good luck everyone with your personal goals x

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning ! It’s Tuesday and so a new start DAY 1 of 7……..

Lovely to have company. Nicola moving is so stressful so maintaining is a good idea. Whatever, just cut yourself a little slack and if you do have a rocky time then just put it behind you. Happy move!

Buddhas wife you are doing so well. Congratulations on moving down into a new ‘label’. I worked with somebody from Sweden many moons ago and at that time alcohol was very expensive in Sweden. Maybe that was prohibitive in itself?

Tully when I first started I had an ambitious target of 15% of my body weight but I soon realised that that figure wasn’t helping me so I cut that down to 10% but I think your idea is better still. Baby steps is the way to go for me now!

Welcome CrispEatingMum. Crunch is the one thing I really miss eating this way but I do still have the odd few crisps now and again but really only a few! Not everybody gets carb flu, I didn’t. I think it may have something to do with the amount of carbs you were eating before BSD although it may just be random! Don’t worry if you do get it it will pass. Good luck on your journey.

Family festival! I think you may just have to be a little realistic Trundlebug and allow some ‘controlled’ carbs if you can’t stay away from them all together. I have been eating the BSD way for nearly two years now and if I do have any simple carbs, which is very rare apart from my odd few crisps, then I eat them ‘ mindfully’. I ‘choose’ to eat them so they never take control of me. In the section above ‘The BSD’ there is an article about Mindful Chocolate Cake, it may be worth a read.

Pauley I guess we all forget that we can be genuinely ‘addicted’ to carbs. We have eaten carbs all our lifes and have been indoctrinated with the ‘low fat’ mantra for far too long. If you stop smoking you often make several attempts before finally beating the addiction so why should giving up carbs be any easier? In fact giving up simple carbs is probably harder because they taste so good ….. at least before you beat the addiction. It’s a new day and a new week so let’s make it a good one.

Well here we are at Day 1. Let’s have a good week staying with our goals.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh wow! Just found these one week threads (always was a bit slow) what a fab idea. Thanks verano. I hope I can gatecrash this one. I am going to France for two weeks next Monday night so this one weekend is brill.
    Overall I’ve lost 2.5 stones over the last 18 months and the last 5 lbs were the most difficult to shift! A fab 11 inches from my waist. It was the 40.5″ waist that kick started this WOE for me. I really was an apple!
    I only have a couple more pounds to lose as wiggle room so let’s get it done this week. That would be brill.
    KrysiaD you are a star! Mega.
    Verano I’ve read about your chilli sauce, can I be a pain and ask is it your recipe? Can you repeat or direct me to it please? I’m sure you’ve done it loads of times. Many thanks.
    Good luck for this week everyone. Chins up, stomach in, let’s go!
    Luv Tilly x

• posted by Tululah
    on

Good morning all!
    Thank you so much Verano for your personal and thoughtful responses to each of us. Its great to have you back. I’m afraid I don’t have much time as I’m rushing out to work but just wanted to wish everyone a good day with good choices.
    I’m 3 lbs down from last week so that’s great as I didn’t have a great weekend.
    -Girls struggling for a crunch – I have a Finn Crisp sourdough rye thin. 3.8g carbs&20 cals each. I have mine with a little hummus or crab or salmon pate. Quite a lot of carbs I guess but feels like a real treat and they are VERY crunchy. Also very fibrous.
    My personal goal for the week is to plan for the WEEKEND. Been doing this WOL all back to front, meticulously planning the weekdays and trying to be free and easy Friday to Sunday. I’ve realised now that midweek is relatively easy with kids, school & work – its the weekends I need to prepare for! You live and learn.
    Have an amazing day, Tully x:)

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,

I wanted to report something strange which happened this morning. Pre-BSD I would start the day with a latte (sometimes with a flavoured syrup) and a muffin from the coffee shop next to my office. I don’t even want to think about the calories and carbs that added to my daily total! Occasionally I’d have another muffin later in the day too.

Cut to today, and I’m rushing into work. I have a big meeting at 10.30 and I’m worried my stomach will rumble. There aren’t any ‘good’ food options on my way in, so I decide that I’ll just treat myself to a muffin. After all I’m just trying to maintain my weight for now, it’s only one, I deserve it etc etc. Then I realise… I don’t want one! Literally never thought this day would come!

Thinking about it now, I don’t think it’s a case of my tastes changing, or losing my sweet tooth (I’ve only been BSDing since Feb and have had the occasional sweet treat) but I just didn’t fancy the stodge of it. I will most likely be in shock for the rest of today! Hallelujah 🙌🏻

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

Well done re obesity to overweight! I am similarly trying to achieve that on the bmi! Must feel very good! I lost 4lbs in my first week and all of the Week 5 positivity helped! Thank you all!
    I struggled with 2 alcohol-free and carb free bbqs over the weekend. They were delicious all the same but could have been improved with a large crisp glass of white! Good luck this week!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

hello all,
    Verano, thank you for setting up the post this week. Hope you’re feeling better.
    Hello friends, hope you had a lovely weekend. Reading all your positive posts I feel really deflated. Tried to be good and have been yet I’ve put two pounds on. could it be the period coming, water retention or else?
    I know I shouldn’t fret but I feel deflated as we’re going away for 2.5 week tomorrow and my birthday is in 4 weeks so to lose weight while away is near impossible and then not much time till my birthday. the combination of it all makes me feel the way I feel.
    All the best to you all and I’m looking forward for more news on people’s loses so it can motivate me.
    S.

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

Well, I can put on up to half a stone in water retention etc around my period and I find it very deflating (unfortunately, my body doesn’t deflate!). The problem is, it’s easy to weigh yourself most days but it isn’t v accurate. I can be wildly different from one day to the next! In the past, I’ve been amazingly good with calories and exercise, but if it’s the wrong time of the month, nothing will shift and sometimes I put a load on! Don’t lose heart. Be kind to yourself. Just try to avoid carbs and picking at things while you’re away! You’ll be fine!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Thank you Tummymummy 🙂
    Today, I’ve been good and had about 7g carbs so far (well, I haven’t started eating until 1.45pm) and am determined not to go over 20g just to see what the scales will show tomorrow morning. need some positive push otherwise I fear it’ll be a fast downhill fall and painfully slow uphill climb afterwards.
    Hope you’re all well.
    Cathy, any news on the boiled courgette?
    Skinny-to-be x

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,

The scales haven’t moved for me and I am also expecting my TOTM! I also think, as I’ve read elsewhere on here, that we don’t gain weight at a steady pace, eg 2lbs per week, that we don’t lose it that way either. I read/listened to a really interesting talk by Jason Fung about the way that weight loss works, and how fat cells fill with water before they empty, so you might lost the weight a couple of weeks later, when the water leaves the fat cell. I’m trying to find the article/podcast to quote it but can’t find it at the moment!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Nicola
    I believe it’s in one of the six Aetiology of Obesity lectures. They’re quite long and intense but plenty to get your teeth into. Once you get into that section of YouTube there’s so much to watch!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, everyone! I’m not on this particular challenge, but I”m seeing wonderful
    energy, commitment, and inspiring results happening here. Congratulations
    to everyone, and another round of applause for Verano for conceiving of it 🙂

Nicki, I found your observations about the non-muffin experience very interesting.
    I’ve always believed that 23 months into this lifestyle, I’d simply lost all taste
    for baked goods. It could very well be that my aversion is also based on the
    unwillingness to have anything “heavy” in my stomach! I used to be very
    attached to the jacketed potato, but the very thought of that now conjurs up
    the thought of having a brick in my stomach! And anything sweet? Yuck!
    I’m also cursed with a growling stomach. that used to signal hunger to me
    in the past, but I’m now content to ignore it most of the time. If I were to
    be facing a meeting prior to a scheduled mealtime, I have found the
    lowly hard boiled egg is a very dependable way to shut down the rumblings!
    Thanks for your observations today!

Best,

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Am joining the one week challenge because I really find that they are keeping me focused. Today – no weight lost this week (although on Sunday I had lost 1lb). Not unhappy because I probably shouldn’t lose very much more as I am trying to reverse insulin resistance and stay off the insulin injections rather than lose very much more weight. What is interesting is that I have kept to 20g carbs since 3rd April and started intermittent fasting almost 2 weeks ago and my waist has gone from 28 inches to 26 inches. I think that this is a sign of good things happening.

Have really enjoyed reading the posts today.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Krysia, I’m profoundly impressed with your accomplishments, but overly so
    by what you’ve been able to do with your waist measurement. You give me
    hope and encouragement that such might be possible for me, as well. I’m
    very happy to be sitting comfortably at my “ideal weight”, right in the middle
    of a healthy BMI for my height, and I believe it to be 21.2 on the index.
    I used to have a 24″ waist, but I’ve been stuck at 30″ for what seems like ages!
    I’ve got cream in the refrig., so I’m pushing for the 18 hr fast. 26″ seems
    like a dream, though 🙂 I’ll push on!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie, have you thought about working up to the 18 hour fast by delaying the time you have breakfast by an hour each day until you get to lunchtime? It may be easier than going cold turkey?
    Skinny, try not to fret. Our weight can fluctuate on a daily basis. Plenty of water and just do the best you can whilst away but most importantly, enjoy your holiday!
    Kazzee

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi beauties!
    Tank’s for all comments, yes it feels fantastic! Hope it will take me to next goal.
    To be in this WOE/WOL has made me think a bit.
    It seems like we are challenged i (at least) two ways.
    First the brain and body want sugar from carbs etc. Its the fast-lain and easy access for getting energi for thinking and muscle movement. And the reptile in us probably still chose to eat that whenever it shows up in front of us. Of course! It was a really smart thing back then to survived and keep the spices live on! Acces in nature is limited so it works fine. Who has ever seen a fat wild animal?
    Second is the culture of mankind. What we want and need most of all is to belong to a group otherwise we get ill or even die. And at the best circumstances we also feel we are loveable and loved. So we follow the set rules even if its not a good thing do. We get rewarded with acceptance and membership from the group. It leads to a lot of behaviors.
    It might be, to do something from not very human tings like oppression of other group members, to wear special clothes or whatever. Or eat the same thing as the group. Or drink. As long as you stick to the “rules” you think you’re accepted. To say no thanks is not that easy.
    So what to do? Here is what I have find out.
    Knowing that it’s a reflex to grab the carb is the first step. It’s about making it a conscious choice instead. That need to be programmed in the brain. It will do whatever we want as long one remember it can’t registrer a “not” . So if you think “don’t” an “carbs” at the same time it will registrer “carbs”. We all know the classic example of “don’t think of a giraff” and a picture of a giraffe will show up in your brain. For me that means I have to think about baby spenage, kale, tomatos, beef, tofu, coconutmilk. If I think a lot of bread, pasta, cookies, potato etc I feel it would be nice to taste it. Right now it works fine because it has become a strong habit. That took some time to establish! Phu!
    Then the group thing.
    I feel that belonging to a group that supports my life style choices will counterpart other groups rules. That’s why i love love love this forum! Without it I probably would make “wrong” choices a lot more. There’s a brain thing here to. I can’t protect myself from being exposed to carbs I dont eat. But in the begining I did! I started 8w800 when I could stay at home. After that I have made clear decisions in advance on all social events, when to eat the carbs or not. And when chosen I have eaten slowly and endulged fully! What a delight! Sometimes I’m to curious (or maby its my reptile 😝) and reach out for just a spoonfull or take from my husbands plate. I taste it for a very long time and appreciate all aspects but don’t take more.
    When i dont want to eat the carbs I shose good things I can eat and sometimes tell my company why. So far people had been very supportive. When you see me every one can tell I’m overweight. 😂.
    If it’s just a Swedish fika I need to eat before I go so I can have only coffee or a latte in my allowance. The Swedish fika is coffee or tea (juice for the children) as a meeting (or alone), often twise a day at all works places. With friends in weekends, at home or out. It always go with some pastry, sweet, cake or fruit. Women have baked for fika for ages! We love our fika and protect it if some boss try to snap it! It’s almost holy, a bit hysterical but a nice, old, well rooted tradition.
    All the time I want to have maximum enjoyment of the food that goes in to my mouth.
    If a loose it and have to much, wrong food etc I don’t feel guilty or a shamed. I’m to old for that! Been there done that! Honestly, whats wrong with mistakes? How to get experience if you dont try and sometimes go in the wrong way? Get back to routine is hard enough. We dont need to feel bad as well, it will not support us at all. That is a brain thing to. Choose to skipp gilt.
    Reading what I just wrote I realized that I needed to tell all of this to myself. I’m sure most of you already figured all this out.
    I’ll post it anyway and hope that anyone who reads it to the end will see that the bottom line is: we need each other to make it. 😄 So from the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU ALL! Everyting I read in the forum is so lovingly caring and supportive. Wonder if I can be without it when goals are met?
    Have a nice evening and see you all tomorrow for another good tasteful day!
    BW

• posted by Bjorn
    on

Hi all, and grats Buddhas wife to your merely overweight status and to all other participants gor your various achievements, weight or inches lost, muffins skipped or just having get back on the wagon.
    Today I fullfilled my goal from week four and finally tested the salmon with pesto that Skinny-to-be tipped about. The pesto really helped make that nasty fish taste good. Great, finally some normal food I can eat now that I am in maintenance, big thanks for the recipe!
    Talking about maintenance, I am about 0.7 kg up. But most of it is probably just the extra food making it’s way through my system. It was rather empty during my 8 weeks. I have decided on a trigger figure that when met sends me back to a few days on the 800/20.
    Good luck everyone on your weekly goals!

• posted by CrispEatingMum
    on

Hi all yu helpful lovely people!
    Day 2 just over for me. Been really really happy with how I’m doing, had 2really good days. It am absolutely starving tonight?! Pls tell me I’m not going to feel thins hungry every night.

Positive thing though this morning I was down 2 lbs. I know that can be a normal day to day fluctuation, but am really hoping not to be heavier tomorrow, otherwise will be a bit 😢…

Can’t wait to go to bed and resist the kitchen temptations……

Xx

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Yes Buddha’swife and Verano – mindful eating is the goal. And you are absolutely right when you say or need to belong to the herd is as addictive as the carb-laden food and drinks we become hooked on. I have prepared to have a little and mindful fun during this festival – I’m really not all earnest and puritanical by nature when it comes to food or anything else. So fingers crossed I stay the right side of mindful!

Sleakly i love the birthday smorgasbord you created and enjoyed. What a good idea.

X

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – i think my waist was 28 inches because of insulin resistance – even though my BMI is 21 also. There was a very interesting Korean study on whether there is a correlation between waist size and insulin resistance in healthy men. They found “Waist circumference is linearly related to insulin resistance”. I would assume that it would be the same for women.

So the 20g carbs and the intermittent fasting will hopefully reverse the insulin resistance and my waist size should drop further.

I agree with KazzUK that working up to the 18 hour fast by delaying the time you have breakfast by an hour each day until you get to lunchtime may be easier than going cold turkey. I hope that you find the coffee and cream as helpful as I have.

Nicola – it is a wonderful moment when you realise you actually just don’t want a cake or a muffin and absolutely don’t feel deprived if you don’t have one.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Evening all!
    Buddahs wife, thank you for your lovely thoughts! I really like the way you talk and the suggestion of visualising carbs and thinking ‘don’t! Brilliant idea!!. I’m going to put it into practice. It might actually help me to say ‘NO’ out loud as well when I’m offered something that I don’t need. Years of overindulging means that I find it very hard to say NO to certain food or drink. YES, just trips of my tongue too easily. I wonder if those of us who find it hard to say NO to certain food also find it hard to say NO in other aspects of our lives? I’m notorious for saying YES to everything. Yes Ill make the dinner, yes ill have the party, yes Ill come in and do extra work , yes Ill drive you…. YES YES YES! Now I am not Mother Theresa by any means and all of this YESing leaves me stressed with little time for myself or my own family at times, so why do I do it? I know I have terrible guilt from saying NO….. to anything really. I know I’m afraid of being judged unkind or mean. I know I want to be liked. So have I just gotten into the habit of saying yes? NO means something else. NO means control. NO means NO fun? So that even saying no to food has deeper layers of meaning. I think Ill have to meditate on this.:) Buddahs wife – I love all things Scandie and can just see you all, retro scarves on head, laughing, making little pastries, the tea simmering away while the snow lies outside and the candles burn away at the window. (Indulge me!)LOL. What a tradition! I guess a good old cuppa is pretty precious over here in the UK too. I already live a Hygge lifestyle BTW! Its a bit carb heavy though. 🙂
    So this week I’m gong to practise 2 words – NO and DON’T (a la Buddahs wife). One out loud, one internally. Ill report back.:)
    You are all doing great by the way!
    Nikki – Its really weird isn’t it that your body & mind just doesn’t feel like it anymore. I find myself craving cheese, chicken, avocado, cold ham these day! Its as if our minds and bodies are slowly getting the message – Eat this thing and you will feel really crap – eat this and you will have energy. Its not rocket science but I think its totally out of this world!
    Skinny – I so hate to hear you beating yourself as you have such sweet words & support for others. I hope you don’t mind me saying but I wonder if not focusing on a particular date or event to loose weight by, might give you more peace of mind and actually help in the long run? I know it helps some people to have big specific goals but for me it always ends up with me ‘failing’ over and over and then I turn to comfort eating. In fact only recently did I start to think that I might actually be setting my self up to fail so that I could binge on carbs! Our minds are powerful tools. For me the hopelessness would set in weeks before the impending date as I realised yet again I was going to ‘fail’ and that perfect image of myself arriving to ‘oos and ‘ahs wasn’t going to happen. It was then that my inner critic really kicked in and I would abuse myself mentally and then physically by binging. It makes me cry to think about it. I was so horrible to myself. Ultimately I would end up at the event after weeks of eating feeling so disgusting and just crying inside. I don’t feel like that anymore. Anyway there is always someone else there that has lost more weight than you or nobody even notices half the time if you have lost weight!
    When I moved my thinking to this WOE being about the rest of my life I realised I felt so much more relaxed as I wasn’t constantly heading for the BIG loss for a holiday or a party or something. Don’t get me wrong its still draws me but I actively pull myself back from imagining ‘what Ill look like’. I now imagine what it will FEEL like to be there, not bloated, not be stuffing food into my face, to feel good, be comfortable with nothing restricting my breathing, to maybe be a few pounds down, as that’s the reality of my life at the moment. I still have mini goals but they are much more achievable ( a pound or 2) and generally only set them in the short term. Ive even decided to stop giving myself weekly weight loss goals from now on. I’ve so many other things to work on!
    Over the past 30 years I have lived in the ‘anxious’ and disappointing future so much that I missed a lot of what was actually going on in my life and I feel like I’m slowly training myself to be here and now as its actually the only time that’s important and in fact, exists. Its a really wonderful place to be.
    I now picture myself as I am right now at the event or holiday (well maybe just a few pounds lighter) and it helps me begin to deal with it being a reality and the anxiety subsides. I begin to feel better about myself and start to get excited about all of the other great important stuff that will happen at the party or holiday that Ive managed to forget about. Catching up with friends, being funny, watching sunsets over the sea, relaxing, laughing, feeling loved and laughing even more. Ironically this in turn helps me to feel better about myself and make better choices.
    How about you give your-self the option of buying a new, even more fabulous skirt that fits you then and there? You wont be who you were or who you may be in the future but you’ll be a whole new you that’s there, being real in the present and feeling amazing about your WOL. YOU WILL BE BEAUTIFUL!:):):)
    I also have another thought. I’m probably going very against the grain here (sorry:() but there is a school of thought that positive visualisation (imagery) can actually hinder us in achieving a goal. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianbailey/2015/01/09/how-to-get-results-with-visualization/#53d7581d19ec ….For some people (me) the brain thinks its already happened and so chills out without us knowing anything about it. Food for thought, if you excuse the pun.
    This is all offered with love and kindness and really hope you don’t mind my thoughts Skinny. You are a lovely, determined person and achieving so many goals but I fear they may be being consumed by your larger perceived ‘failures’ as all of mine were. This is a looooooong journey for us all and I am only at the very beginning but I hope we trust each other enough to offer some opinions and thoughts when we think we see a soul sister (or brother) struggling. I know that I am, constantly, and as much as we write these posts in response to others, we are really always writing them to ourselves.
    Skinny – I’ll miss you! Have a fabulous holiday and just enjoy being in the moment. We never ever know what is round the corner. Be very, very kind to yourself and watch out for that inner critic!
    Thank you all for being on this journey with me and for all of your support..
    Much Loving kindness Tully x:

• posted by Tummymummy
    on

I’m just about to switch my light off but I think your last post makes total sense, Tully! Night! X

• posted by alliecat
    on

It’s just about time for lights out here in New England, but I couldn’t let the day come to a close without telling you,
    Buddhaswife and tululah, how deeply both of your posts affected me. You are both courageous and unflinchingly
    honest, and I can relate profoundly to the spiritual as well as weightloss journey that you both are on. I continue to
    celebrate everything this community has to offer, which certainly goes far beyond reporting what one had to eat
    in any given day! Congratulations, Buddhaswife for dropping into a new BMI category! Setting short term goals
    is very important, and you will reach them all. I can truly relate to all of your introspective thoughts, and will share
    those that have transformed my own into a woman that I thought the clock had run out on ever becoming. It
    turns out that we are never too old to have a chance at a joyful, healthy life, free from what has held us back before.
    I don’t know to how to adequately describe what it feels like to be unburdened from the cycle of yo-yo dieting,
    other than to say that it is profoundly liberating 🙂 I’m looking forward to following both of your journeys.
    Absolutely anything is possible when you embrace this lifestyle, and the community of maintainers here are
    always prepared to share experiences, offer a shoulder when needed, and celebrate the successes along the
    way. I like your style !!!

Allie

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning all,
    good morning Tully, just give me a hug already. I felt like a little girl being told a magical story and I visualised it with a child’s imagination. I loved it.
    THANK YOU ALL.
    As we’re buzzing off tonight I was going through our fridge this morning and realised I had quite a few courgettes in there. I alrady cooked the courgette soup for dinner made of 4 courgettes (and had a mug for breakfast) and boiled two courgettes for my lunch and there is still one left that i’ll boil in the evening and will get some halloumi with it and drinking hot soup – LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. That’ll be a hysterical day. Tomorrow, as it is Thursday, I’ll be fasting until Friday morning when we have a breakfast at a hotel in Germany before driving further. Will take some plain yoghurt from the hotel to tie me over Friday and probably hard boil eggs and little white sausage with me for the journey. After that it’s the holiday and all will be in my hands.
    Tully, I hope I get the surprise b’day party, but if not (well, we’re talking about my husband who’d be in charge and as things go, well let’s just say I’m not holding my breath 🙂 )I want to feel good that Father’s day weekend because the day after will be my birthday and we may rather spend it together with frolics than me in THAT skirt.
    The ‘THAT’ skirt would be to fit into by September when I take my beautiful girl to her BIG school for the first time.
    I’m hoping to log myself in now and then to report on the ‘festivities’ between now and 11th June while we enjoying ourselves and will be drinking from the well of knowledge and wisdom these forums offer.

Hope you have a lovely day all.
    Skinny
    xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Tululah and Buddahs wife,
    Am just about to rush out and about with work, making the most of the period of good weather. But just wanted to say thank you for the thought provoking messages. – The issues with saying Yes and working hard to fit in with groups is something which has been coming to the surface for me recently. I thought it was something specific to me, so it was very kind of you both to share your feelings on this and so open the door for others to not feel isolated on this aspect.

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW! What wonderful thought provoking posts. Sorry I’m late posting today but I’m really busy at the moment sorting through paperwork etc. so forgive me if I don’t respond to the last 24hrs posts. Have a good day everyone and ‘see’ you tomorrow.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good afternoon all,
    Just had my boiled courgettes with some grated cheese and a bit of chilli sprinkles for ‘colour’. It was delicious.
    I have actually took time and read the recent posts from yesterday and ‘digest. BW-what a wonderful insight. I have read Tully’s first as I was reading the blog from the latest posts and came to yours and what a wonderful insight!
    Bjorn – delighted you like the fish. It is crazy how pesto takes the fishy edge off, isn’t it?
    Thank you all for your continuous support and I shall be logging in on my travels or just to ‘read’ you.
    All the best friends,
    Skinny-to-be
    xx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Courgette soup! WOW!
    Don’t remeber who first posted the recipe but you started a smal courgette revolution! 😁 Its so delicious! Thank you! 🙏 (Who are you?) Slowcooked a chicken for three hours and took the meat juice from it in the soup instead of bullion cube. Found a new favorite soup !
    Thanks for commenting on my ideas. Didn’t know it could affect others. I guess that just like every art piece, in one way or another, is a self portrait of the artist, writing text is similar a reflection of ones need for hearing your own thoughs spoken out loud to be understandable. The writing itself is not so special. The realy wonderful thing is how we all can relate so much to each other. We are truly mirrors and kindred spirits ! That is art!
    I have so much to say and comment and salute on fantastic texts here but its late and I want to write in the june-zoomers tread to. Just did, but lost it in some electronic cyberspace so have to rewrite.
    So for now,
    Sleep well. Have nice dreams. All is well.
    See you tomorrow. ❤️
    BW

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi everybody, just waking up to day 4. I’ve just taken the dog out for a wander up the fields so that’s 3000 steps for a start to the day. I’m on automatic pilot when I go out this early.!I’ve been drinking the water and logging the food I have eaten. I’m trying hard this time around and planning my food for the day the night before. I’m following week one but I can’t manage the sardine dip! The tip that squidgy gave me about putting lemon or lime slices into the water certainly makes a difference, who would have thought it. I can recommend the beetroot falafels, I used ready cooked ones as no raw available, both my husband and I thought they were delicious either hot or cold.
    Hope all of us newbies have a good week, I’m weighing myself on Monday and hoping for a good result!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

BuddhasWife and Tully – apologies, I’ve only just caught up with your excellent posts! Thank you so much for sharing and giving me something very positive. 🙂
    Zinny – what time were you up?! 3000 steps is an excellent start at 6am! Well done on the planning, it works for me rather than having a vague idea…
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and welcome to DAY 3 of 7.

I have had time to read through the posts thoroughly now and I can only say WOW! again. I also think these forums help me to keep my feet on the ground and take each day as it comes. I know for a fact I would never have lost weight and kept it off for so long without the company here. I think we all need some encouragement especially when we start to feel down, or feel that we will never reach that goal or just want to give up because it all becomes so difficult. Belonging to this community means that no matter how low we might feel at any given time, there is always somebody here who is having a good day, and who will spend a little time writing some words of wisdom in support of others. We are a great team!

Tilly I’m not sure which chilli sauce recipe you are referring to. I do use a sriracha chilli sauce in all sorts of things but that comes out of a bottle! If you do buy one make sure it doesn’t have a high sugar content. In saying that you use so little of it that it probably won’t make that much difference to your carb count. If you give me a little more information I will gladly give you the recipe.

I need to start making this courgette soup! Has anybody tried it cold? I love cold soups. I have a lovely cold tomato and pepper soup which has a real chilli kick to it . Just shout if you would like the recipe.

So, I need to get back to sorting out my cupboards will be back tomorrow. Have a good day!

• posted by Tululah
    on

Morning all!
    Thank you to everyone for lovely responses to the posts here, (JGwen & Allie its great to know such veterans like yourself still take time to pop in and make us feel so appreciated and on the right path).
    I’m glad it can help others as well as myself. It still amazes me just how supportive this forum can be and I cant really imagine not having it even it I’m not a VERY regular poster.
    I’m taking things day by day this week and getting ready to keep it running smoothly through the weekend. I’m not doing any major fasts, just keeping thing steady as they go and trying to be aware of where my head is at any particular moment. Weight is coming down half a pound here and there which is what I want. Don’t feel that my eating is particularly restricted. Still having toast and peanut butter for breakfast and even stole a little gnocci and pesto from the kids last night. I could do with cutting back on cheeseas I feel very blocked around the sinuses. Wonder if anyone else feels this with dairy?
    Trundlebug, Nicola12, Crispeating mum, Till, Paula, Tilly, bjorn – hope you are doing well and looking after yourselves!
    Everyone else – Kazzuk, Verano, BW, Zinny & everyone else have an fab day.
    Skinny – hope you are in that moment!:)
    Much love Tully:)xxxxx

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi all
    Jazz uk I’m usually up and about by 5 ish, take the dog out for a walk then back home for a hot drink. I have had a lifetime of getting up early so I just do it. This time of year it’s great to be out early, I live by the sea, and to see that big red sun coming up is just fantastic. Even in the winter, if it’s a clear frosty morning the skies are full of stars and that has its own beauty too.
    Right I’m off to get making the vegetable frittata, husband having cheese on his and some left over chicken. Still chuggin* the water, will be interesting to see what the scales say Monday. We have temptation this weekend as attending bbq and granddaughters birthday, but I shall try to stay strong!,

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Good evening!
    Nice going in this thread!!! So much is going on for all of us. We’re all doing so well!
    Went to the capital Stockholm today for last meeting of 14 with a group of wonderful people. We did an evaluation of it all and how well we met the personal goals we set up at the first meeting. I’d like to share one with you. The group was not at all about weight but one of my personal goals was to turn the weight curve down. Only that. Down. I told them a had dropped 14.5 kg and everyone was so impressed! I got applause, congrats! WOW! Amazing! Well done! You’re fantastic! Impressive! The best I ever heard of! You did it! Hurray!
    And I feelt so greatfull. So happy. Filled with a deep satisfaction.
    Ending the day I want to forward all what they said to you! Because you all contributed so much to my success!
    So copy and paste. Here it comes again and its for YOU! Please just feel how it all is totaly true about you the best internet friend ever!
    Applause, congrats! WOW! Amazing! Well done! You’re fantastic! Impressive! The best I ever heard of! You did it! Hurray!
    ❤️
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by alliecat
    on

Buddhaswife, I feel EXACTLY as you do about this community! 🙂 I barely remember how daily life
    was before I found it in June 2017. You are a bright light, an inspiring person, and I’m right in step
    with you. SO, SO happy that you are traveling this road with all of us!

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Hope Thursday was a successful day but if not then no problem because now it’s Friday, a new day and a new start. So just for today let’s focus on our goals and move forward. After all by lunch time today we will be on the downward path for this week as we reach the half way mark. Have a good day !

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

❤️Verano! ❤️ It makes all the difference to wake up (ok thats very late for me lol) and reed your welcome to each day. A caring and always positive start. Could not be better. Wich we could keep you and the wakeupgreetings for ever! 😁 You are the best! ❤️❤️❤️
    Oh ❤️Allie❤️ my friend you are just so sweet! Thank you. I’m a bit embarrassed. Have to work on that. Right? 😉
    Have nice tasting day all of you!
    ❤️

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Sorry verano. Saw someone refer to your chilli sauce and assumed it was your recipe. I’ll have to try it and I will watch the sugar content, thank you for that.
    Tallulah i am doing ok thanks . Sneaky weigh this morning was 9. 13.25! My daughter has given me 2 pairs of size 12 trousers and they fit lovely! So chuffed. Hope son and DIL notice next week when we meet up in the Dordogne. I’ll be gutted if they don’t!
    Off on Monday. if we have internet I’ll post but please let me know where you all are when this challenge finishes! Don’t leave me behind.
    Buddha’s wife, I want to hug you! You say some lovely things that are NOT lost in translation! Your English is very good. Apart from “IKEA” I don’t know any Swedish 😜
    Kazzee my sweet you make me giggle I love your “hump” day. Never heard of it before, but it’s a keeper!

Take care everyone

Tilly x

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hump day. Camel day. Wow! 2 more brilliant English expressions !
    I hereby import them to Sweden 🇸🇪!
    Time to wind down with my husband and do mindfullness exercise together, pack for tomorrows bird expedition and the following medieval party. There will be a lot of nice food to. 😋 Will make choices but not refrain from food I want to eat. Hope I’m mentally prepared to “pay the price”.
    Good night! Sweet dreams!
    ❤️
    And a lot of extra godnighthugs to you Tillbudy❤️

• posted by alliecat
    on

It took me ages to acquaint myself with British slang, too, Buddhaswife. (American ) Now I find
    it creeping into my everyday speech 🙂 It’s surprising how much google covers, though. I don’t recall
    who first mentioned “snogging” here, but that one I couldn’t make head or tales of! Your medieval
    costume night sounds like great fun. Enjoy!
    Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. Verano, where has your globetrotting taken you now?

xxx Allie

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,

Sorry to have been absent lately, I have still been doing a lot of thinking/reading/podcast listening to help me develop my own eating style to take me into maintenance. It’s pretty exciting (I feel like a geek saying that!) trying to work out what foods my body wants and what foods makes me feel good, rather than the really narrow, restrictive mindset of previous diets I’ve tried.

I’ve read a lot of the posts above and, wow, this thread is such an inspiring and interesting read. What an amazing group of strong women! (Any guys in here, I apologise!) 💛

Please log in or register to post a reply.