One Week at a Time : No:4 , May 8th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

JGwen thank you for that timely reminder! I had forgotten that I’d written that and had forgotten the ‘miseries’ too. It adds nicely to your ‘WHY’ questions ….. I am doing this because I’d don’t want to do back to those fat old days! I do want an even better life! You might want to see gorillas in the wild but my dreams are less exotic. I would be happy losing a few more stone and keeping my blood sugars stable …. that’s WHY I’m still here living this way of life!

Trundlebug have you subscribed to Headspace? I am doing the free trial at the moment and wonder if its worth upgrading.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano, super blood sugars with lower carbs. That’s exactly what I found when I lowered the carbs. My WHY is that I never never ever want to go back on insulin again. For me it looks like (with my poor worn out beta cells) that for the time being i will need to stay at 20g carbs.

What it also looks like from talking to my Diabetes Nurse is that I am really extremely lucky to be able to come off the insulin because I had undiagnosed diabetes for probably 15/20 years before I was admitted to hospital seriously ill in 2012 and put straight on insulin.

The interesting experiment over the coming months, and years, will be what happens to my blood sugars in the future. Will I be able to eat more of the good carbs in the future – or will my beta cells only ever be able to cope with 20g carbs? Who knows – but it will be a very interesting journey.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Millie Moo,
    how did it go with the skirt? I tried my NEVER WORN skirt, I bought 14 years back and when I tried it on I could pass all the flab but the only way I could fit into it was when I had it sat in the narrowest part of my upper body – which was just under the b00bs. The look was not very flattering I looked like incorrectly stuffed sausage. Not nice and neat but bulges here and there and everywhere.

I’ve got a good feeling about the party. I’ll be wearing a white short sleeved shirt or t-shirt with it and flat gold sandals with nicely pedicured feet. I’ll be hot (or so I said 🙂 LOOOOL)

Who else is coming? What are you wearing – stuff you were not able to fit in ever or for a vey long time. You can also bring your BS readings (mind you as this is my birthday it needs to be a pretty number you’d be happy with)
    S xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Went over a little on calories yesterday because I didn’t think things through and had halloumi and avocado on the same plate at lunchtime. No damage done and still another tiny loss.
    I have been thinking of the WHY in this thread and the thought of always having to eat like this and my take on it is this. Every morning I dish out 4 tablets – diabetes, fluid and blood pressure and take them along with a powered aspirin in my morning lemon – sometimes I think why why why. Every afternoon I dish out another 2 tablet for cholesterol and something else and I think why why why. Every night I take 2 antihistimines as I have diabetic itchiness (shoulders, neck and arms so you dont get any ideas) at night and it think why ……. Every night I pick up a syringe and measure the right amount of insulin and I inject it into my stomach which is all lumpy and bumpy and covered in bruises and I dont think why, I just cry. Why me…
    Never do I pick up a fork to eat spirallized courgette with roasted red peppers and roasted chicken breast for lunch and think why. I know why and that why is to get rid of all the other crap in my life. After nearly 2 years on this diet with moderate improvement in BG and weight and a moderate reduction in medication and insulin, I still believe one day I will stop injecting, even if I stay on medication – and that is WHY I am on this way of eating.
    Sometimes we have to remember how bad it was before or how bad it could be now if we didn’t eat like this. Have a great day everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi KrysiaD, As it happens I came across a research project on beta cells this morning and posted a link on the take a look at this thread this morning. – (I had to google beta cells to work out why it was significant / related to diabetes), but maybe you will find it helpful.

Hi Verano,
    Would this link be relevant?
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher
    I have been rethinking my WHY’s over the last day as well. The difference between the motivation to loose enough weight to enjoy life, and the level of motivation to loose all the weight you could loose is an interesting step on the journey.

I have the big WHYs, such as the gorillas, thanks to having gone through a period of my life where I was sat on a settee thinking about all the things I would have liked to do with my life but now wasn’t going to get a chance. These were the things I regretted the most. – But I have realised that its not the right WHY for me. Great as a reward, but having hit my initial weight loss target recently so I have suddenly realised I do look a lot slimmer(with clothes on) and I can start to incorporate the things that make daily life special is great. I have been struggling this week with the motivation to KOKO to tackle the couple of stone of fat I am still carrying around.
    I need a WHY that so speaks to me so much that each time I think about relieving stress by eating something not BSD friendly, I have a reason to not do it, and I don’t know the answer to that one yet.
    However, – and I am about to get to the point here, – I have realised I need to work out what daily activity / experience is strong enough to help re-enforce the daily challenges that it forms a WHY strong enough to support me moving from being slim enough to being slim.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

My WHY is to come off the BP and water tablet that I take every morning. I don’t want to be on any medication. I also have diverticular disease and it started bothering me last summer. I thought it was IBS to be honest. I want to prevent myself developing any more of the usual conditions that plague us as we age. I have no children and only one step niece and do not want to be a burden/worry to her or my brother and sister. I need to be fit and able to look after myself. I’m 55 and hope I’ve not left it too late! 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, and I’ve got psoriasis too! I forget about that, I’ve had it for 40 years. I’m hoping it will clear. Stress doesn’t help it though. I use an ointment called dovonex on it, when I can be bothered! But would like to get off that too…..

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW! What a cathartic read. I think there is more ‘soul baring’ here than I have ever seen on a thread before. That’s WHY I stay on these boards after nearly two years. I find this latest ‘chat’ particularly motivating. As you say JGwen, it’s very hard to find the motivation to carry on when you have reached your primary goal. It is very hard for me too, so I’ve been maintaining for almost a year now because I can’t find the motivation to carry on now that my primary goal has been reached.

S-g you should print out your post and read it evey time you feel yourself weakening. Your words are so powerful that they have made me remember just WHY we started this in the first place. You will get there, we all will, with motivation and determination.

Krysia your story just illustrates so well how we all tread a very thin line between being healthy or having a chronic debilitating disease. We know this works but it only works when we are honest with ourselves and stay true to the plan.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Hello all,
    my WHY is that I’m turning 40, having an almost 5 year old and much older husband who was last November TWICE, in a space of 2 weeks, on his death bed. He had a gangrenous appendix and the usual 1 hour procedure took 4.5hours because it was that bad. Two weeks later he collapsed at 3am when going to toilet into the bathtub and the thud was the most horrendous sound I’ve ever heard because it woke me up and I knew something was wrong. He is 5’10 and about 82kg, so not that heavy, but if you have a deadweight to pick from a very inaccessible please as a bathtub it he felt like a tonne heavy. He started bleeding and had to call ambulance because his BP was 73 over 51. It was diverticularis we didn’t know he had. Was is a post ‘poke’ into him after the appendix operation? I don’t know, but I was grateful my little girl was asleep so she didn’t get to see her invincible Daddy, the centre of her universe, being not there looking through me and not seeing me. This shook the hell out of me. When my husband goes, and that is statistically very probable for him to go before me, the little girl would have only one parent.
    And here it comes, if it’s me, I want to enjoy a healthy life with her. As any parent would say they don’t want to put the burden on their children of looking after them, well, I say, it’ll be her job at some point, but if I can do anything and everything that is in my power I can delay that time I do it. And I’m not sure who said it on this past two week’s post, IT IS ALL IN MY HANDS. My little girl’s happiness and time to enjoy her parents, that all IS IN MY HANDS.
    This is my WHY.
    S x

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for the link JGwen. Very interesting article which has only reinforced what I have told so many others on theses boards…… finger pricking isn’t a reliable measure at all as there are too many variables. But hey what am I doing! Need to get my sensible head back on and start taking my own advice!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Verano – yes I did the 10-day trial about 6 years ago and then upgraded from there. You can cancel any time you like so it’s not a complicated contract. Once you complete the 30 day foundation, the whole site becomes available to you and there are practices for anything from anxiety to bereavement, fear of flying to mindfulness while cooking … I do really like it.

People, your WHYs are amazing resolutions, manifestos and intentions. Wonderful to read and digest. We are human, we are vulnerable and with all that in mind, look how strong and capable we are.

X

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Looking forward to reading everyone’s posts later – but just had to post this. Often see a man walking around our local streets when we are out dog walking. We usually say hi but today I said to him “you do a lot of walking” . It turns out he is walking because of T2D. He is also following a very low carb diet and has kept off the metformin. He sees the same diabetes nurse as I do at the same GP surgery and she has advised him on low carb dieting. How funny that – in this little mid Norfolk market town – we are at the cutting edge of diabetes treatment.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Trundlebug I am enjoying it so far it’s fascinating and far more enjoyable than any ‘mindful ‘ reading material or the FutureLearn courses I’ve tried but found really boring. I will definitely consider a subscription.

Krysia what a small world! Yes it would seem that your market town is indeed at the cutting edge!

Skinny-to-be sorry I missed your post. I was probably writing when you posted. I can only sympathise with you over your husbands health. Statistically your ‘much older’ husband may probably have fewer years left than you but there is no certainty in this world. We none of us know what the next moment might bring never mind the next day, week, year etc. My OH is over seven years older than me and we are now of an age where you do start to think about being left or leaving! I have come to the conclusion that you just have ‘seize the day’. I understand your ‘WHY’but please don’t miss ‘the here and now’ because of fears about the future. Just remember 70 is the new 50!!!
    P.S. looking forward to the party!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Verano, I’m not sure my message came across the way I wanted. Darn phone. What I meant was my WHY is seeing my husband as he was and I was cr4ping myself scared of losing him and knowing my diabetes chances being 50:50 in next 10 years I want to make everything possible and impossible to improve my health, to last in the good health for as long as possible and to be with my ‘bears’ in good condition for many years to come . That’s all matters yhats my WHY.

Krysia, what a lovely story with the walking T2D man. It’s funny how from a simple smile eventually one can find out being six steps removed from Brad Pitt or Usain Bolt ☺.

S x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Very inspiring reading about everyone’s WHY. The posts yesterday really made me think about what is really important in my life.

JGwen – very interesting article, as always. I have been logging after meal BS to find out how well my pancreas is working. Actually – not very well – even on 20g of carbs or lower and fasting BS of 4.6. So your article confirms I am on the right track in recording after meal BS as a better way of assessing if what I am doing is helping my pancreas to heal as I don’t think I will be able to get an insulin level test. So I have a good set of records now and will test again in a month to see if I have made progress.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Skinny-to-be – there was once a Brad in a company i dealt with. One day I phoned and asked for Brad Pitt. The person I was speaking to thought it was hilarious.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and it is here the sun is shining!
    This weekend should be easier for all of us as we now have our WHYs in the forefront of our minds. So enjoy, but maybe with not too much gay abandon!
    Have a good day and make a positive step towards your goal.

• posted by Pauley
    on

So inspiring reading through this thread!
    I have had a wobbly week and certainly gone over my calories for the past couple of nights. My reflex when I˚m «bad» is to stay away from the forums as I feel like a failure and imagine everyone else is doing really well. Having read through this morning I am so greatful for everyone sharing their challenges, it absoulutely makes me feel better and ready to start afresh!
    Wendyq Like you I have been celebrating start of summer (I literally live by Arctic Circle so a big thing) with lovely strawberries the last couple of days. Realised after your post ab Scottish strawberries that this has more than likely triggered my hunger, thanks for the insight! (Btw I consider myself part Scottish as my OH is Scottish and so have half Scottish children 😀)

• posted by Pauley
    on

Also, need to focus more on my WHYs like the rest of you!

on

Hi everyone, I think Verano is right that we have to know our why’s but we also have to live in the here and now. If this was a diet I could follow for a few months, get my beautiful beach body back (yeah right) and then come off the diet, it would be so much easier to say no to everything. However, this is not a diet it is my way of life and life is for living. I will give up lots of things for my health but just now and then we need to enjoy ourselves. Tonight is a case in point. It is Eurovision (groan) and we love it. We dont sit through the whole 3.5 hours but record it and start watching around 10pm, whizzing through the rubbish and keeping scores. Now it always entails a party feel with pizza and burgers and drinks. Okay no pizza, no burgers but I am going to enjoy a couple of glasses of rose wine. To be honest, who in their right mind could get through Eurovision without a drink. Anyway, that is my excuse.
    Weight is still the same as yesterday, blood glucose down to 4.9. Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Morning all- STB-it’s a skirt with buttons down the front , the button at the waist and the one near the knees do up it’s the 3 in the middle that just don’t meet at the moment, but they will!!
    I feel a little guilty as my WHY is not about health as many others which is sooooo important I guess mine is just looking in the mirror and not wanting to see flabby hips , bottom and thighs. Having said that I am finding that the lumpy, bumpy skin is now starting to smooth out which I am sure is the reduction of fat ( I’m a cheeseaholic) and I am so motivated from reading the forums. It is a struggle because naughty foods do taste nice maybe it’s training the brain to accept that it won’t be the last time that particular food is going in the mouth so you can have the naughty foods occasionally just not loads of it!
    Sunshine Girl I too love watching Eurovision even though the outcome is usually already decided by the Baltic countries and as you say it has to be watched with a glass of wine – hopefully you can stick to only 1 or 2 and avoid the pizza etc – fingers crossed for you. My hubby is loving me being on this diet as in order to avoid alcohol I have become the designated driver not drinker when we go out- but he needs to be warned that when on the maintenance that will change!
    Good luck with today xxxx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi everybody! Reading everybody’s WHY:s was amazing and very encouraging! Thanks for sharing! It’s impressing what everyone is giving to this forum.
    Today I reached one milestone: I’m under 90 kg! Have stayed to many years above it. Next milestone is very close: at 88 kg I shift from obesity to overweight. Then I’m also halfway to my long term goal that is 72 kg.
    I feel fine and very motivated. It helps to bring it down to smaler steps as many of you have mentioned.
    My WHY is to be happpy and live a meaningful life. It may seems simple but is rather deep. Everything is complex but my not very healthy nor funktioning body was one of the reasons for deep depressions and fatigue Syndrome. I simply did not see how life could be meaningful and good. As one example I kept myself from going out and enjoying the company of other people as much as I wanted
    partly because of my body. Not going out was both a matter of not having any comfortable good looking (fat hiding) clothes to wear. It was also about the inside and not liking the “mee” I was “wearing”.

I have walked a long way to come where I am today. It took some years to “tip over” (maby language error?) to the positive side of life. Now I’m deeply greatfull for life itself. It’s like having a second chance! And it’s just given too me! Hurray! So I want to use life wisly and not spoil it on bad health, obesity or to long battles with tings I do have the full power to change to the better. But no! It’s not easy! I struggle but at least sometimes l remember why. Lol.
    Releations between people is becoming more and more important for me. What else really counts?
    What we have in money, things, positions realy doesn’t count at all. Its the many relationships that is important to care about.
    From where I am today I think that doing small things are enough. I don’t need to change the whole world but I want to be a resource for my fellow people.
    If I can give some god things to a few persons around me, I’m satisfied. In order to do that, to give something of values It has to come from my heart. And here’s the point. When I was ill I could not “give” or reach out fully to others. So beeing “happy in my heart” in a deeper meaning, is the goal and the begining of giving. At least for me right now.
    Just short about week4 goal. I was to maintain the gym but have had to little time (or maby my priorities was wrong! I have to think about that) Carbs are still under 20, kcal 800, I don’t have any hunger pangs. But tonight was a huge exception. We gave my mother a champagne testing evening for birthday present! So we took her out to a restaurant for a lovley dinner and then went to the champagne testing. It was sooo fun. She loved it!
    Todays log in MyFinnessPal is 1787 calories, 70 carbs, 97 g fat, 98, protein. Hahaha! And it was so worth it! Let’s hope I’m back on track monday. But first comes family birthday dinner for our mom sunday night at my sisters house…

I wish you all a very nice sunday with goals accomplished or not. As long as we’re here together we will work it out! Soner or later.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Buddha’s Wife – I read your post and very much enjoyed the you tube link on Gratitude that you
    posted the other day. I overwhelmingly agree that embracing this way of thinking brings total
    joy to one’s life. Approximately 5 years ago I made a very conscious decision to start practicing
    gratitude in my daily life. I began by keeping a gratitude journal that I would make entries in each
    evening before I retired. It felt awkward at first, but it wasn’t long before I no longer needed the
    journal, and started reviewing the things I was grateful for, after turning out the lights. Today I
    see positives in everything that I experience throughout the day, and feel very much as though
    I’m fully present in each moment. I do believe that it IS possible to retrain your thought process
    to live a more complete and joyful life, focusing on the positives, and not allowing negative or
    toxic people or ideas to take up residence in your mind. Thank you so much for your thoughts!
    We are kindred spirits 🙂

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and welcome to DAY 6 of 7. This week has been one of deep soul searching for all of us and I hope it’s reflected in how we are moving towards our goals. The sun is shining here yet again! We are entertaining today so will be back tomorrow for the last day of this weekly challenge.
    Have a lovely Sunday.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Buddhaswife – thanks for your post. You’ve hit the nail on the head. It is all about the ‘tip over’ into positive energy – learning how to nourish it daily with both food, activity and thoughts.

Over the past 3 weeks I have felt so much better in my skin. The good food is nourishing but doesn’t clag me up energetically or mentally. You know that carb heaviness feeling? That’s gone. I’ve slept better and this week have started feeling energised too. A long period of stress and loss left me feeling depleted in all ways and 3 small kids demanded all that was left to give. My diet reflected that – bad carbs to keep me going and give me that instant gratification that I needed.

So yes I miss the hit of a big bag of potato chips. But I’ve come to feel the difference between that hit and the more expansive sense of wellbeing that I experience when I prepare food that suits my body’s need to cleanse and detox and lose the fat.

So I hope I keep this up for the next 5 weeks and see how positively it impacts on my health.

Have a great day.

on

Had a fun evening with the Eurovision and for the first time ever I picked the winner. We write down who we like and put either a tick for a yes or a question mark for a ‘not sure’ and for those definite ‘no’s’ dont write anything. Well for Israel and Ireland I had double ticked. I dont think my weight has suffered but might has slowed me down and there was definitely no pizza. Hubby has been moaning that a jar of preserved lemons have been lurking in the back of the fridge for months and he was going to throw them out. So I decided to make a North Africa style chicken dish using the lemons and it was delish. Today we are having lamb shanks so I made a marinade using the lemons and has-al-hanout and a few other spices and let them soak overnight – so that’s the lemons gone. He has only complained that I have ruined a good piece of lamb which he likes served with mint sauce. Tough mate, you can do the dinner next Sunday.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi sunshine-girl! That sounds like a very enjoyable evening. Reminds me a bit of Superbowl Sunday
    on this side of the pond. I’m crazy about preserved lemons and ras el hanout in morrocan tagines.
    I’d stopped making them when the couscous had to go. ( I didn’t know about the forums then, and more
    or less forgot about it). NOW I have cauli rice in my arsenal, so thank you for reminding me! Husband
    will thank you too. I even have an unopened jar of harissa in the cupboard 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – sounds like you had a lovely evening.

This week is going really well and I will be posting another loss tomorrow.

• posted by Bjorn
    on

Hi all! Big day to day for me. My 8 weeks are over! This weeks goal of introducing some new healthy foods failed but I am happy anyway having dropped 1.7 kg kilo this last week for a total of 14.2 kg. My bmi is now 21.4. Today I will make meatballs to celebrate.
    See you all in next weeks thread

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Congratulations Bjorn on a very successful 8 weeks! Excellent result!
    Buddhas Wife and Allie – reading your posts, particularly yours, BW, has made me stop and think. I too felt like you, BW, in fact, I think most of us have at times. So I am very grateful that I am digging myself out of that, but I do need to change to a “glass half full” rather than “a glass half empty” person! I shall watch the gratitude link when I get home tonight. Thank you for that. 🙂
    Kazzeexx

on

Hi all, well my weight has shot up this morning but I know exactly why. That time of the month, even though I no longer have them I still balloon and it will be gone in a couple of days. Not letting it put me off as I know my own body very well. Just going to keep on keeping on…

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all!
    Monday morning: birds are singing, sunshine in the garden and the scale think I’m doing well.
    After two days of partying I’m first up 0,1 kg then down 0,2! 😆
    Big congrats Björn! Well done! Fantastic result and how nice with köttbullar, meatballs.
    Tanks Allie! My husband and I do tre highlihhts of the day, also in bed. There seems to be many kindred spirit here! Love it!
    Trundlebug what a great result! Skin, food, heviness gone, sleep, good food and positive thinking. You’ve realy achieved a lot! Good luck with comming weeks.
    KazzUK I really agree! 👍 I will try to think of the halfFULL glass everytime I drink water today to see if that will help me stay positive. Thank you to all of you lovley people! You realy help me stay on track.
    Have a great day!
    BW

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Brilliant weightloss Bjorn – well done. Keepup the good work and dint give up on finding veg that suits you. As i tell the kids – take care of the vegetables and the vegetables take care of you. 🙂

All these weigh ins are making me feel I should have a set of scales to verify my perceptions of weightloss 🙁 Nevertheless I am feeling decidedly lighter and springier which I think is a great sign!

I do have a slump in in afternoons however — a predictable slot in the day when I want to eat, Allie, I try to work out is this mindless habit and it is to some degree but also there’s a food need. So I think I will have boiled eggs ready to provide a filling, low carb food. I might add this to my lunch to fill out our and hopefully full me up.

Any other tips on the slump?

Trundlebug x

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Scales flicking between 1-1.5lbs this morning. Pleased with the loss this week after a flatline last week. We’ll done to all the other losses and koko to the everyone else. I am a slow steady loser and better off than on I say.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have lost 3/4lb this week. Thank goodness it is slowing down as I have now got all the wriggle room I need. My goals are now all about blood sugars and insulin. But am happy if weight loss continues as long as it is very slow.

i was pleased to read that Michael Mosley endorses the Jason Fung Diabetes Code. I feel a lot more optimistic after reading the book about staying in remission and that perhaps my pancreas isn’t damaged beyond repair. He says that for some people who have had long term diabetes it just takes a long time to be fully ok.

From reading the book I think the issue I still have is insulin resistance. So while I have brilliant BS readings on 20g carbs I cannot have more good carbs without BS rising. So the answer seems to be intermittent fasting to cure the resistance. I could do MMs 5.2 but actually my lifestyle and metabolism prefers somewhere between 19/5 and 16/8 (I normally do 14/8 on a normal day). Longer fasts may work more quickly but actually I don’t want to do longer fasts at the moment.

Very interesting that my waist has suddenly dropped from 28 inches to 27 inches on the 20g carbs.

• posted by pkd2004
    on

Great to hear all the weights and measurement losses – I must look at my measurements next. I’ve lost 2lb this week so I’m happy with that. Got a cheese and wine tasting on Thursday…. I will have some of each, but no other excuses for not sticking to schedule. See you on the next week thread.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,
    I vowed on Thursday to take some time away but it didn’t take quite as long as I thought! It’s been a stressful few months for me, planning our new life up in Scotland and tying up everything down here first. On Thursday we drove up to take a car load up to our new home (500 miles away!) and I caved and had a McDonalds. Over the weekend I ate non-BSD food, but didn’t binge as I have done previously (no scoffing 5 donuts and hiding the evidence). And yesterday I was straight back on it again and have been fine since. The scales show a 3lb gain, which i think isn’t bad at all, and I know I can shift it quickly.

I am still struggling with my ‘why’. I’ve listed them on here previously, and I genuinely feel I haven got to the root of my why, but maybe the issue is that I don’t quite want it enough to stick to this WOE all the time. I’m so much happier and more confident and comfortable than I’ve been in a long time, I’m at a healthy BMI and I wonder if maybe that’s enough for me. I would still like to get to my target of 135 (currently 147) and then see how I feel, but I’m not going to beat myself up for having something non-BSD every now and then.

on

Hi all, weight dropped back down this morning (knew it would) but not to where it was so my weight loss is only 3/4lb. I feel as through I am flogging the proverbial and just on damage limitation as I am going to a formal dinner (charity event) on Wednesday. Yes, my brain says I wont eat much (I deffo wont eat carbs) and I will only drink water but I know how hard it is going to be. Then next week we have visitors arriving to look after our house and I provide a meal and drinks for them. Next day we fly back to the UK for our daughters 40th birthday bash and her boyfriend has booked a hog roast. Hey ho, I will keep trying, even if I can just get back to what I was before the cruise. Keep on keeping on….

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicola12,
    I am glad to hear that the start of your move is going well, and you have gained the confidence that you can get back on the wagon after a stressful time as well.
    I have been pondering my WHYs a lot this week as well. Having reached my initial target weight which was linked to wanting to get back to riding, going on to continue loosing more weight to get down to my target dress size has been hard. I have come to the conclusion that my initial ideas for WHY were simply not strong enough to carry me through the times when stress combines with carb heavy food being on hand.
    I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is that I have settled for so long with a life involving mechanisms for coping with being overweight and making do, that I have lost my connection with what I want out of life.
    I have been trying to work out a logical plan of attack, and haven’t managed it. – But I do have an idea for working out my WHY which I am going to try. There’s a common joke in IT industry that the most important piece of kit when fault finding is a dummy. – Having to order your thoughts to explain an issue to someone else, is a really powerful tool in working out the answer for yourself, so much so, that explaining the problem to a dummy is as effective as explaining it to a human. – So maybe writing a letter to someone, (but not necessarily posting it) might work?

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

JGwen writing a letter or having a dummy is brilliant! I will try to remeber that for another day.
    I agree that talking loud or wrighting a letter realy helps to sort things out. It’s like its easier to “see” and get a grip on it when its “outside” the head. Writing on this forum works for me like that. I have too think twise before posting. I have two rounds. First I put down the idea. Then a try to check if my english and spelling is correct. I stumble on both LOL,but it give some extra time to think.
    1,8 kg down this week. I’m very happy with that. Will take my body measurements tomorow morning.
    Is there another one-week-at a time up? I prefer to be on only one tread at a time due to lack of time. Love to read everyones comments but I have to restrict the time otherwise I’ll be here 24/7. 😄

• posted by Nicola12
    on

JGwen, thanks so much for your message, and idea to write a letter. I think I may write a letter to my younger self, explaining how different life is carrying round extra weight! I think (and correct me someone if I’m wrong!) that it was you JGwen who prompted all of this ‘why’ talk, so thank you thank you thank you!

I’m down to 144.8 today, only slightly higher than my previous low of 144.2, so I hope that’s enough to motivate myself.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sorry I didn’t start a new thread this week. Maybe somebody else might. Not too well at the moment but should be ok pretty soon. Will look in again in the not too distant future.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I hope you feel better soon, Verano! 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicola12,
    I can’t take the credit for coming up with the WHY idea, but I was the one who started all the WHY discussions on the forum.

I saw an article on facebook by some guru who runs a business where he helps people succeed in making changes in their lives by focusing not on the change they make, but why, and one of the examples he gave was the difference in motivation between setting a target to loose 2 stone, and the motivation when you work out why you want to be 2 stone lighter.

I tried the idea of writing a letter for myself yesterday. Having reached my initial target weight its been really difficult to find motivation for continuing to get down to my target dress size. – I have the advantage of carrying animal feed sacks around at times, so I know what its like lugging around the amount of weight I have already lost. – When you have to use a wheel barrow to carry two sacks containing between them 4 kgs less than you have lost it brings home the difference. 🙂 –

My problem was working out the WHY for staying on the BSD to be lighter than I have been for the last 30 years. Which opens up all sorts of questions, on what I want in life.

Yesterday evening, thanks to something Alleycat mentioned on a different thread, I had the idea of grabbing my lap top and (because I can touch type) going through in my head what the conversation would be if I went to see a councillor to talk through my WHY. and typing it in. – That scenario meant I would be working with a clean slate, explaining the issue to someone who doesn’t have any knowledge of my background and interests, so I would have to start from the beginning. and I made a record of my explaination that I could look at again this morning. It was remarkedly effective.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi Verano! Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you get well soon!
    Meanwhile I just want to send lots of be well hugs!!! I think of you often because your treads and posting really means a lot to me. A lot of cred to you, simply: you rock!
    Looking forward to your see soon.
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

JGwen brilliant!
    Do you happen to have a link to the article?
    I suspect I, and many of us, might run in to the same challenge when target wheigt is coming close or at maintenance. I have also been carrying over wheigt for decades. Can’t really remeber the full feeling of being at right wheigt. Now I realy want get back there. Older and wiser. Lol!

Please log in or register to post a reply.