One Week at a Time : No:4 , May 8th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 1 of 7.

Our new thread for this week starts here! My goal this week is simply to monitor my fasting Blood Sugar against the number of carbs I eat not too difficult, I hope! I have ny next HbA1c in about 10 weeks. Last time it was an all time lie of 29(5.0) but I doubt I am still at that level. I will do my best this week to keep my carbs lower than 40g a day. Wish me luck!

Look forward to seeing you all again on this thread.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning Verano,
    and would give you a hug for the positive and motivational comments on the Week 3 about the sabotage. Thank you, it really helps.

KrysiaD, I love the way you put the words across to put things into perspective and dish out the encouragement. Thank you.

Well, for me, this next 7 days is to get my head together (I spoke to my husband and have him cut off from eating or discussing why I eat what I eat and when I eat and am not helping him to lose his 5lb as it sends me to downward spiral) and keep it together.
    I will do my best and everything possible and impossible to lose those 5lb I wanted last week. If I get 5lb I will be right on course to fit into the skirt I bought 14 years back and never worn it because I told myself then ‘I’ll lose weight to wear it’. The skirt is size 12 and for the past 14 years I was size 14 and 16 and pregnant 🙂 and with the ‘benefit’ of getting the diabetes in next 5-10 years.

Here’s to the skirt I want to wear on my birthday :-).

Good luck to you all, good people.

• posted by Bjorn
    on

Good luck Verano!
    I will be in this weeks challenge too. I am on the very last week of my 8 weeks with 800 calories.
    This far I have (except for some mishaps on my vacation) only eaten cottage cheese, ham and eggs. My goal this week will be to introduce some healthy food that I hopefully can enjoy and eat under maintenance.
    I am a fuzzy eater, and hate fish (well fish ‘n chips works, but are not really BSD friendly) and vegetables with a passion. I realize this must change if I want to keep my new healthy status and low weight. So I will hopefully manage to force myself to try some salmon recipes, with veggies on the side.
    My daughter loves plain fried salmon so I have learned to cook it reasonably well while fighting nausea at the same time… It would be nice to be able to eat the same food the whole family. I will rummage through the recipes section of this forums to see what I can find.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Thanks again Verano for starting this weeks thread. I am hoping this week for 2-3lbs but I am concentrating a wee bit more on lowering carbs. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic but I do feel alot better for having lower carbs in my diet.
    Good luck everyone!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning Bjorn,
    I posted a salmon recipe the other day. It’s very simple.
    Green beans (trimmed the stalks, keep the tips) washed, put into the kitchen foil. Put a salmon on top of the green beans with a tablespoon of green pesto with a bit of salt, black pepper, a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. Wrap it nicely into a parcel and put in the oven for 15 minutes. When taking out, careful when unwrapping as hot steam coming out.
    My 4-year old girl absolutely loves it. It’s nice, tasteful and pesto gives it a nice twist. This is a Jamie Oliver recipe (cannot stand the guy but love the recipe 🙂 )
    Good luck, let me know how it goes.
    S.

• posted by Pauley
    on

Thanks Verano for keeping the thread going! Had a great last week with an amazing 3 kilos down, mind you it was week 1 for me so aware this will slow down.
    My biggest challenge this week is actually having Thursday and Friday off (Bank holidays). I’m aware it does not sound like a problem but it means that my 3 year old twin boys also have days off from nursery. They are lovely boys but it is safe to say stress levels are up when we’re looking at 4 days off together. My goal this week is to not let stress and tiredness affect how I eat too much. Fingers crossed!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great Verano – I’m in for this challenge. My goal is to keep carbs at 20g, do at least three 18hr fasts and keep my blood sugars as close to ‘real normal’ as I can. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Verano, thank you for the new challenge. Mine was to lose 5lbs of holiday baggage but i have already lost 2lbs since Friday just by eating low carb. Would have been 3lbs but i sabotaged by having a couple of ‘last’ drinks last night. I also wanted to get my BG down from post holiday 6.8 but i have already managed that with a reading of 5.5 yesterday and 4.2 this morning. However, i have increased my insulin a bit. So, in a nutshell, my goals for this week are lose 3lbs and reduce insulin to 30 units. Menu is done and i am rearing to go. Lets all keep on keeping on…

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Guys. Thanks from me also V. I’ll join this weekly challenge also. After watching various things on youtube and netflix yesterday, relating to this WOL and also only a third left of the Taubes book, I’m all fired up! Monday to Friday I want to try a 20:4 fasting window, see how I get on with that anyway! And also keep my carbs to 20g. I’m off for a walk around the block….

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi good to see you all again and welcome back sunshine-girl. A particularly loud round of applause for Pauley. It doesn’t matter that it’s your first week it’s still 3k!
    Love hearing everyone’s weekly pledge I think it’s always good to mix and match goals because I’m sure it stops us getting into a rut.
    Bjorn there is a thread ‘Good eats the low carb way’ of similar which has loads of good recipes and ideas. It may just help you add a little variety to your diet.
    Here’s to a good week for all of us!

• posted by Bjorn
    on

Thanks for the tip, Skinny-to-be. Is that fresh green beens, of the long sugar snaps type or canned? I am a total newbie when it comes to vegetables despite my 55 years. And thanks Verano I will have a look around in there. Luckily it is a long week, so plenty of time to work up my courage :).

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Bjorn,
    they are the fresh green beans or French beans. The salmon wrapped in the foil ensures the salmon doesn’t dry and the beans are almost steamed.
    Bon appetite, my friend.
    S.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

I’ll join the week – my goal is to stick to 800 Cals and carbs below 50g daily. I know I’ve lost weight but don’t have a set of scales to weigh in (long story in short – I fear the self loathing that a set of bathroom scales will induce and my pre-teenage kids). I’m also looking forward to experiencing a drop in BP (this is my reason for the diet). It’s my 3rd week on it and I am trying to be both hopeful about BP drop and also pragmatic in case it doesn’t happen this week. Don’t want to to fall of the wagon in disappointment.

Skinny-to-be I hear you on the ‘getting the family on board in the right way’ front. My partner is wonderfully supportive but unlike me is very much a naturally healthy eater. He doesn’t need to stick to the diet but I’ve given him 3 books to read including a recipe book so that he can get on board in cooking and sourcing food ideas that we can enjoy as a family. Gor’ bless him it only took a grumpy notification that him making pancakes for the 2nd weekend in a row may have been great for the kids but was a bit pants for me, to make him realise the error of his ways.

Bjorn – there are some good low carb blogs for recipe ideas – low carb maven is one of my faves (for the name alone). Lots of family friendly recipes that even my own 7 yr old vegetable dodger has given the thumbs up.

Thanks Verano for this thread and good luck with your carbs plan.

Good luck to us all.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Thanks for this thread Verano.I’m joining this challenge again with the same goal as last week,to write everything down I eat.I wasn’t that successful in doing it last week,but did see the benefits when I did.When I was focussed it was fine but the worst days were when I wrote things down later in the day,couldn’t remember everything ,then went over calories.I managed to keep the carbs below 20 a day and it has definitely helped to write things down. Bjorn, it would be easier for me if I just stuck to 3 different kinds of food!Some days I wrote things down but didn’t weigh them so couldn’t be exact in my calculations,need to do better.
    It’s interesting to see what everyone’s goals are.Hopefully this will go well and next week i can focus on a different goal and this writing things down will be a good habit I’ve got into.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Wendyq – have you used the Fatsecret app? It’s free and allows you to tap in every meal and snack plus exercise to get a running get calorie total on your phone. I hate apps usually. Find them hard to use and and noting but this one had been invaluable in keeping track and it is effort saved. Have a try of you think of may help.

All the best

Trundlebug

• posted by greenjanet
    on

🙋Verano
    I’m so loving these one week challenges, thanks so much for motivating us all.

Goal this week. Loose 3 1/2 lbs to take me well below 17 st sick to the back teeth of that number want a nice new one. 😊 no obstacles at the mo to do that so here we go.

Happy week all 🙋
    Jan

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all
    I don’t post much but read yours and take inspiration. Thank you. If I can help I will of course try to do that too. I lost 3lbs on last week’s challenge so now 11st 4lbs. Aim to lose 2lbs this week. Also challenge for me is to write down everything I eat. I also need to move more. Ordered my trainers, expecting them tomorrow.
    Thanks all. Good luck x

• posted by wendyq
    on

Trundlebug,I have fat secret on my computer,don’t use the phone much.I find it good in some ways,but quite time consuming,maybe it’s just me.I seem to have more success writing things down.Maybe it would be better if i used it on my phone,would have to get into the habit of keeping it charged up though!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Wendyq – I hear you! Phones are irritating (especially for the likes of us blessed with sausage fingers) What’s wrong with two cans and a bit of string I ask you? At the end of the day it’s a question if whatever works, so good luck! X

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning all,
    I hope you’re having a good day. Yesterday I was in no need to eat all day as wasn’t hungry and then in the evening I made sauerkraut with meat. Oh boy, I’m a good cook, if nobody else says so 🙂 (and here comes the BUT), but I probably ate a little bit more I should have because this morning the scales wouldn’t budge. Had a slice of emmental cheese as was cooking and a teaspoon of yoghurt…. It all adds up, doesn’t it? 🙁
    Anyhoo, hopefully, today I’ll be more careful what and how I eat.

I also thought, with my 40th birthday coming on the 18th June, wouldn’t it be nice if you all could come to my hypothetical surprise party? I’ve never had a surprise party and it is one thing that I probably would love to have.
    So here it is. I have that beautiful silk burgundy dress with a gold pattern on it and I actually can visualise myself in it at my party. I would need to lose a stone minimum to look stunning in it. With the hypothetical invite to the hypothetical party what would you want to wear to my party and how far off are you to fit into the garment between now and 18th June?
    If it is not a dress but the BS low reading to bring with yourself to the party so let it be. At least I can ‘see’ the hypothetical crowd of wonderful people at the hypothetical party 🙂

By this post you can probably gather I’m alone in the office today – LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Hope you’re having a wonderful day.
    S.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Hope the first day of this new challenge went well for everyone. It was a bit of an eye opener for me!

So my goal for this week is to check my fasting blood sugar against the previous day’s carb intake. So yesterday I thought I would just eat as I do on a ‘normal’ day but log everything that went into my mouth. Well, shock, horror! I had 66g carbs, an astonishing 2194calories and this morning my FBS was 7.4. Hardly any surprise there!

Today I am sitting down, pen in hand, writing lists and deciding why I’m here, what I ‘really, really ‘ want. If I can’t make a proper commitment to this WOL then there isn’t much point in my continuing here. I am only fooling myself. So off to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide where I go from here. Have a good day!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning Verano,
    I sense a bit on unhappiness and disappointment in your comment.
    It hasn’t been that long you were encouraging us all to pick ourselves up after the ‘sabotage week’ and onwards we march reassurance.
    The BAD things were what you ate, how much of carbs you ate and the FBS number this morning. That is not a good combination to make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Yet as you said yourself writing everything down and measuring everything is the order of the day for today. Today is the start of the countdown for the better tomorrow and I hope and wish you all the best for the readings tomorrow morning.
    It’s hard when we hit the brick wall and we start questioning why we do things but you’re here for a reason as the rest of us and it is a two way street. Not only you giving your support to us but we’re here for you too.
    Wishing you all the best and a good and positive day. The first of many to come.
    S x

• posted by JGwen
    on

What a lovely idea for your birthday party Skinny-to-be.
    A few months ago now I reached the point of having a wander around in a few clothes shops with a view to picturing some of the outfits I would like to wear once I got to my target shape. – (As opposed to my usual routine of pressing my nose up against the window of the shops with the pretty clothes and then walking on to the shops with the baggy teeshirts and baggy track suit bottoms to replace any that had got too rough to keep on wearing – how can you tell I don’t work in an office any more.).
    There was these jackets that I fell in love with, one was cream, the other grey leather look bomber jackets with bright flowers embroidered all up one arm and on to the shoulder. (Red flowers on the cream, purple on the grey). – They had one of the jackets teamed with a V neck dress with a fitted waist then ‘floaty’ full skirt in similar shades on one of the display stands. I think by June I could get into that sort of outfit but would probably need appropriate underwear to push any fat down into to the area covered by the floaty skirt. :-}

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,
    Thanks Verano for setting up another challenge, and also for your lovely post at the end of the last challenge about sabotage. I have been thinking a lot about it and I think that my struggle is that I am so close to my target weight. I wanted to lose 30lbs and I’ve lost 23. I am a healthy BMI now and I love the way I look. All of this combined has weakened my resolve I think, and I’ve moved into maintenance without really realising it. I’ve upped my calories to 1000 and allowed myself some days without counting them at all. I ate carbs on Sunday evening, and had a few drinks over the weekend, so no surprise that I’ve put on a few pounds since then.

My aim for this week is to try out 16:8 to see if that will help at all. I’m not setting a target for weight loss, though I would hope that I’d be back to 144lbs this time next week. My long-term goal was to be at 135 by the end of this month but that doesn’t really seem likely now. I will KOKO and see how it goes!

STB I’d love to come to your party! I’m not sure I have anything party-appropriate that I don’t fit in to, but I’d love to comfortably get into my 30inch waist jeans by then!

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

JGwen – when describing your dress with the jacket and flowers on them I could actually feel I was the one on the outside with my nose pressed against the window 🙂 . The outfit sounds just lovely. Would you wear a hat with it? If you couldn’t find any I could lend you a purple fascinator with some feathers and stuff 🙂 that hasn’t been worn (no occasion really) since my little girl’s baptism almost 5 years back.

Nicola12 – I would very much envy you the 30inch jeans and you’re more than welcome to come in them :-).

I hope you have a lovely day, ladies.
    S.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Verano,
    I hope your questioning the WHY, what you really want, is the good sort of WHY questioning. – The looking for a positive future type of WHY.

Its strange but since I came across the idea that its more powerful to focus on WHY we want to loose weight rather than setting targets for ourselves on what figure we want to see on the scales, its really helped with my weight loss journey. It has removed the stress of stalls and the rise before the whoosh, because it has helped me focus on other markers of the benefits of this WOE, but obviously those markers will be different for each person, so you end up on a personal journey into your hopes and dreams.

I have started to see the application of the WHY idea is spreading into to all sorts of part of my life. Its flowed from the WHY do I want to loose weight to – how does my weight impact my life? – If you are too fat to do the things you want to do on your days off work/life balance doesn’t matter. Which is leading to the question, how does becoming fit enough to do the things I want in life impact on how I spend the rest of my time, how much money I need to earn. – If I want to go on a trip to Uganda walking through the forest to see gorillas in the wild I don’t just need to be fit enough, I also need to have a work/life balance so I can have holidays, and have a spare £4K.

When I was a child WHY was my favourite word. – Its back to being my favourite word again at present.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Hey there Verano – I don’t post very much as I am still learning and there are lots of great advice and experience to be found on the thread. However I do benefit greatly from the threads and although I had a wee bit of a bumpy week last week with zero loss I find great motivation from yours and others posts. So take a leaf from your own book and cut yourself a wee bit of slack – it is a journey not necessarily a final destination I think you may have said (I am perhaps paraphrasing). I feel a heck of alot better following this way of eating and hey I just wanted to say thanks for saying the right thing to your fellow posters, but feel our good wishes form us to you. :0)

on

Hi all, fairly successful day yesterday but with the tiniest of movement on the scale (right direction) so did 30 mins of aerobics with Shaun T this morning. Started logging all good again and although i am good with the calories i sometimes slip up with the number of carbs although not the type. So far i have had 340 calories and 14 carbs and tonight is ‘clean out the fridge’ omelette night so should be well within my goal of 40 carbs and 800 calories. Have a good day all.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Well … idiot me ate most of a bag of nuts on the way home from teaching (very hungry – ran into the shops to buy ingredients for dinner and thought ‘oh yeah and few nuts will keep me going until i get home and eat my salad’ and have maxxed out my cals for the day. I have boiled an egg as my maximum food for the day and have spent a lot of time berating myself and also laughing. At least it wasn’t a maximum bag of crisps ( my usual downfall). Mindless eating 101 or what?
    Verano don’t doubt yourself so much. Be determined, be self questioning but above all be humane towards yourself. This is an healing journey and we must all bring that quality to our self talk.

X

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all! Good to see you all again! Hey Verano! I understand. And now is not the time to quit. Good questions is the start of an honest walk. The are a part of every yurney! Maby you feel it’s to much work to be this beautiful leader you’ve become on this forum? Maby your life is lacking enough qualitytime for yourself? Maby the holsy scale turn you down? Maby….
    Whatever reason there might be, you are not alone! 😍. Yes, you need to answer your questions, maby with some help from your best friend, maby in solitude.
    But the feeling of “crisis” truly hide some gold. Go for it! We are right behind you! All of us in this forum will wholehearted support you no matter what!
    Anyhow, a big hug and thank you for starting a another week!!! I’m in but have nearly no time to read or post.
    I’m already down 1.3 kg this week. Last week I started on a gym (now who would have thought that was possible?!) This week I will try to keep it up. The week (thank you everybody for that week!) before I started to track all my steps in the Fitbir app. I gave myself a Fitbit Charge 2 in present to celebrate my firm decision and dedication to get better health, stronger body and loose 30 kg!
    Totaly love all enthusiastic notification that pop upp as soon as I achieve anything on food, exercise, weight, sleep, workout, water etc. It even tells me to get up and move if I haven’t n taken minimum 250 steps per hour! So childish. Love love love it! It sits on my arm and is the best tech friend ever. It even stays on at night and check my sleep. Lol.
    Good luck to all of us as we survive the upcoming food challenges this loong weekend.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Verano, I know how you’re feeling having “maintained” the first 4 months of this year until I got back into the right headspace. Get back into the habit of weighing and measuring everything and you’ll soon turn this around. I’ve mentioned before how I self sabotage when I commit to reporting weekly weight losses etc for some reason. I know I’ll face that again too. So sometimes it’s just good to quietly get on with it, partake in the threads but don’t necessarily feel pressured to lose X amount of weight each week because of a goal you’ve reported. I hope that makes sense? but then some people thrive by making goals, having a bit of healthy competition… whatever works for you, is what counts.
    Have a good day, all
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Thanks for all your words of wisdom. WHY … what a really good question. Fitbit ….. what a really good idea. Headspace ….. what a really good notion. Much food for thought. Again thank you all for making me ‘think’.
    Yesterday I did quite a few calculations. I list food that I eat that I don’t really want/need, you know all that ‘mindless’ eating, under ‘snacks’ in Fatsecret. So what did I discover? I can very easily stay within 800/30 if I stop ‘mindless’ eating! Such a simple solution!
    So onto another day ……
    DAY 3 of 7….. it’s good to hear that goals are being neared or reached so let’s take one step nearer to that goal again today.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I missed your post yesterday as I had a hectic day – have just read it this morning and am so pleased that you had a good day yesterday looking at your WHY. You would have been so missed from this forum if you had decided not to carry on.

I have also found that looking at the WHY and looking at all the stuff I was mindlessly eating was hugely helpful.

on

Morning all, especially V. I obviously didnt pick up on your post yesterday how bad you were feeling. You are one of the great successes on this site and you know full well why you are committed to this way of eating. Without it you would still be seriously overweight (how much have you lost) and you would still be ‘diabetic’ and on meds rather than someone who has beaten the odds to be in remission or diet controlled – whatever label you use. You talked me into coming back on the site but that doesnt mean i have to have the involvement i had before and neither do you if it is getting too much for you. Being away and without contact with the web i realised just how much this takes of my life and i have decided to stick to one thread and only answer one or two if i feel i need to butt in. You dont have to have this responsibility all the time but please dont give up on the eating plan. You know in your heart what a backward step that would be.

Let this week run then let others take the helm or the strain and sit back and watch. Dont forget to keep on keeping on….

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia I had never really thought about WHY until JGwen pointed me in that direction and it is a very powerful question. I will certainly keep it in the forefront of my mind.

S-g thanks for that ‘talking to’. I know you are right, so right, I think I was just really annoyed with myself for being so out of control. Yes I do know in my heart of hearts I can’t stop this WOL. Just sometimes I guess I get angry with myself because I’m not ‘perfect’, anything but! I have also cut down on the threads I read/contribute too. But, I do find that contact here does help me to remember why I am here and keep me on track, even if it’s only very loosely! So, as you say, we just have to keep on keeping on ………

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Excellent news V! “claps”!
    I shall be examining my WHY… something I’ve never done…. Meanwhile, at work next Tuesday, there is a lunchtime session that I’ve signed up for on Mindfullness that I’m looking forward to. I participate as much as I am able to here on the boards. Sometimes, days might go by without me posting, and other times, I post on several threads in just one afternoon….
    Right, back to the grindstone!
    Kazeexx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I hope you’re feeling better today, Verano 🙂 Try to keep your perfectionist voice at bay
    (I’m one to talk!). We lose our perspective on what we’ve already accomplished when we
    listen to it! I had myself a right old episode awhile back, when others were having great
    success with 24-48hr fasts, and I continued to be unable to do it. My negative inner
    voice was saying “What’s wrong with you, you wimp! Everyone else can do this (perfectly),
    why can’t you?”. I took my thoughts over to the maintainer’s thread, and in quick succession
    many lovely and sane comments got me grounded in no time. 🙂 Please stay with us, V.
    And remember what you’ve already accomplished!

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all!
    Had to pop in and see after Verano. Glad to see you’re posting!!!
    Alliecat is spot on! Remember what already is accomplished is the key. It made me think of a Ted talk with a munk I saw last week. (No, I’m really not very religios).
    It’s on beeing thankfull, gratitude and how it relates to happiness. I really hope I’m not off topic! Sorry if I’m, then please tell me! 😄.
    I just want to encourage us!
    https://youtu.be/UtBsl3j0YRQ

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, I’ve just binged on loads of non-BSD fast food. Self control is gone! I’m going to take some time away from this forum and try and work out how to reach my goals. I know what I want, why I want it, but struggling with how to get there. See you all again soon 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Kazz I think for the moment I will be asking WHY every time I want to put something in my mouth! Mindfulness is something I can’t get a grip of but I have just started the trial of ‘Headspace’ app. I have never tried meditation before and I like it! Not sure if that is helping me sleep better or if it’s the B complex tablets I’ve started taking. Whatever, I’m just going with the flow at the moment.

Allie, my friend, who needs to fast for 24+ hours a day!!! I can’t do it either, nor do I want to! I think I was just having a bit of a melt down yesterday just really angry with myself for being so weak.

• posted by wendyq
    on

I haven’t felt hungry for a while but was just starving today,by 2pm had eaten my allocation of carbs and calories.So I had nuts,cheese, a bit of greek yogurt and too much dark chocolate.last week I mainly ate 2 meals but this week have been hungry for breakfast at around 10ish and my calories have all been eaten by 4ish.Have no idea why I was so hungry,hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    Nicola12,hope to see you back soon on the forum,don’t stay away too long.I’ve done that before,come on here full of what I’m going to do and then it all fell flat and I went away.I feel more positive now and more realistic about my goals,I’ll be here till the end of the year and then next year will be maintenance .The more I do this WOE the easier it is and I’m not tempted by all the things I used to be.We had friends for dinner,made homemade fish,chips and mushy peas and I had an omelette with mushrooms etc ,didn’t say why I was having something different .They said look what you’re having,it looks very posh!These are small victories for me,it hasn’t been easy but is getting easier.

• posted by Verano
    on

Nicola you say you know what you want, and WHY you want it. You are struggling to get there BUT you have found BSD …. that Is the way to get there! You know it works it’s just a case of staying with it. Even, if like me, you only stick with the principles very loosely at times just stick with it. We all have bad days and melt downs, well at least I do. BUT there is always a new day, a new dawn….. and you’ll be feeling good. Don’t give up just take a few, or many big deep breaths, get through today, put it behind you and carry on tomorrow or the day after…..

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicola,
    Have you thought about breaking down the journey into smaller steps with rewards for yourself along the way? Getting to the final destination can seem daunting. I needed to replace my car, but I set my reward to myself for hitting 3 stone lost spending a little more time to track down one that was the combination of colour and interior that I really wanted. That way ever time I go anywhere I get that little high from feeling good about my car. – At 4 stone, (well actually fitting comfortably behind the wheel), it was time to send my classic Land rover away for some work so I can get her back on the road, and each time I walk past her empty parking space I remember my achievement which helps build up my confidence that I can reach the next target.

——
    There is another way of looking at this. Perhaps if your WHY isn’t important enough to you to walk away from the carbs, maybe its not the right WHY?

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning …. DAY 4 of 7 and we are nearly half way through this week.

This week seems to have been a bit ‘wobbly’ for a few of us but we still have 4 days left to redeem the week. Let’s not give up or give in just make today a good one. Yesterday is over, tomorrow is yet to come so we just have today!

My little ‘experiment ‘ with carbs and blood sugar is turning out just as we would have expected. My FBS was 7.4 on Wednesday after a day of high carbs, down to 6.4 after moderate carbs and this morning it’s 6.1 after a low carb day yesterday. Coincidence? Maybe, but I really do have my WHY now. I have no doubt that reducing carbs is also showing in my lower FBS so just have to keep on keeping on …….
    I also know that the way of keeping my carbs low is to ditch the ‘mindless’ eating of nuts, chocolate, crispbreads and cheese.

JGwen I love your idea of ‘rewards’ especially having reminders of your achievements. We could probably all benefit from remembering just how much we have achieved. Hope Friday is a positive day for everyone.

• posted by wendyq
    on

That’s why I was so hungry yesterday,it came to me as I was walking the dog this morning.The Scottish strawberries are out and are delicious and while I have counted the carbs and calories,you don’t get many calories but there are a fair amount of carbs.I’ve had strawberries and blueberries the last few days ,kept within the carbs and calories(apart from yesterday when i was hungry) but they haven’t filled me up.3 strawberries are 12 calories and 2.76 carbs,10 blueberries are 8 calories and 1.97 carbs.I haven’t been using my carb allowance wisely,a lesson learned.There’s no fat in them so they won’t keep me full,just want more but won’t have any today.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi all,

Well said Verano – the present is the only possible place where change can occur. That is mindfulness in a nutshell. I love Headspace I hope you get on with it. I don’t think Andy P realises it but I am his best friend. Lol.

Wendyq – I know what you mean on the occasional hunger pangs that strike. I have them too. On those occasions I’ve found that firstly, a boiled egg cherry tomatoes and olives totally sorts me out without losing the low carb aspect. I seem to continue to lose a perceptible amount of weight (still no scales so no measures although big sister has promised me her old digital ones) so I think the odd calorific blip is not that big a deal. I think the book says something to that effect at the start of the recipes section.

Secondly, I also read from someone in the forums that he didn’t watch the cals at all and instead stuck to the qualitative principles of the diet. I believe he had great results in terms of blood sugars and weightloss. So my personal take on it has been stick to the cals when it feels right – which is most of the time as I have worked out how to fill myself adequately and in a balanced way. And when the wheels threaten to come off – go with it but keep a qualitative handle on the extra food. I hope that helps.

Good luck for today everyone.

TB

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning good people,
    I hope you’re all well. I wasn’t here yesterday but I’ve read you all. Nicola, sorry to see you going I want you to stay to tell me how those 30inch waist jeans looking on you for my ‘hypothetical’ party!

Reading all your comments and people going through ups and downs makes me feel good. Good about myself that I’m not alone in the ups and not alone in downs. Also it is very encouraging seeing how you all, who fall, rise up like Phoenix and being stronger and better regardless how short or long the fall is.

Verano, what a positive few days BS readings! That in its own is a very good answer to your WHY I think. Only a third day but you can clearly see it in writing that you’re doing a b!00dy good job. JGwen’s post and bringing her WHY into this forum was a blessing in disguise to us all to get us back and keep us on straight and narrow with the objective embedded firmly in our minds.

I haven’t had my FBS tested since after my little girl was born after I had the gestational diabetes but am thinking to get it booked with the GP (I’m sure she’d be also very pleased seeing me losing some weight) just to see how I’m doing. I hope it would come with reasonably low readings but do not want to work myself up just yet about either high or low numbers until I get the test date booked. I’ve never been diabetic or pre-diabetic but with my 50:50 chances anything may have changed over the past 5 years and maybe her check up on me will be a good thing too.

I also find the ‘side effects’ of WOE a little bit ‘disturbing’. This morning I woke up 1 hour (!) before my alarm, even though went to bed at 10.30pm and woke up at 4.50am! I knew waking up before the alarm was happening but one hour before, haven’t had that before. I put one load of washing on, folded the laundry and watched Hercule Poirot we recorded while I was ironing! And all this way before 6am. I think I need to do something about it before my husband gets used to all things done before he lifts his finger 🙂

I wish you all a wonderful Friday and although sunny still a bit too windy and cold for my liking but feel pretty warm inside with all of the above.
    All the best,
    S.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Morning Ladies – just looked at this thread, and wanted to try to help you all stay focussed. The facts are; you have all had great weight losses on this diet – we call it a diet but it really has to be a WOL , that said sometimes you need to eat something ‘naughty’ if you can then go back to the BSD way of eating so don’t beat yourselves up as life would be boring if you didn’t have the treats just maybe try to have them on the weekend and be good Mon to Fri?
    Does everyone have the 8 week diet recipe book – because I’m currently wading through the recipes which calculate the carbs so I don’t have to and I find them filling and tasty. Just a note I don’t think that I can have yoghurt as I think that puts weight on for me bizarre I know but if I have it I don’t lose so maybe that might apply to others?
    STB – I’ll be at the party – I too have a skirt last worn 6 years ago , love it but can’t fit in it – I now have it hanging up in the bedroom as an incentive to keep going, so I shall wear that to your party with some heels – and let’s rock the 80’s!!
    Nicola you also need to be there too – will it be heels with the jeans or flats?
    Verano will see you there as well – come on ladies let’s keep going!!! Xx

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

In fact just going upstairs now to try the skirt on even though I know it won’t get past the thighs yet! Xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Verano,

I remember I got some inspiration at the start of my journey back in October 2017 by reading some of the comments on the maintainers thread. – There was one post I thought I would share on this thread because it may give some of those struggling with KOKO some inspiration. 🙂 🙂
    ————–

“Esnecca how great! You know I’d forgotten about the miseries of being ‘fat’….. sorry but that’s the truth of it! I remember going into small restaurants and wondering if I would be able to walk between the chairs, even more difficult when you are fat and using crutches! Yes wondering if a seat belt on a plane would do up. I suppose everyone has some memories of those days we just tend to forget how difficult life was but it’s certainly good to be reminded now and again.”

—————

🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.