ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning May 28th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky, What I forgot to say is that there has been a lot of independent studies into the impact of the biggest loser protocol on metabolic rate. Its a rare situation where people are living in an environment for months where their food intake and exercise levels are closely monitored and recorded. So its become the refutable evidence that the old myth of cals in / cals out doesn’t work.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Morning all. Allie, I think I’m doing ok (when liquid sugar does not muddy the waters) with carbs at ard 25g and protein ard 60g, I just looked up current TDEE bse of JGwen’s pt about the fats element/expenditure, more as a matter of interest – and that helps in overall consideration of why and how to get closer to 800 and putting it in personal context (if that makes sense!) – basically hold the cheese and do not eat a whole avocado! I have not read the Taubes book, at this rate, I might get it when I reach the stage of “why I got fat and what I did about it…”. Beegirl, I also saw in my quick search on swarms that the nursery bees basically put the queen on the bee equivalent of the Fast 800 so she is light enough to fly when the hive swarms! Nettle, wow, that is fantastic and great encouragement, in addition to that we already get from other long term maintainers. Kafin, had fingers crossed for the exam – let us know. Elky, have you checked out the “Soups” thread? Comforting warming recipes which might be just the ticket in your chilly weather down under! Hope Lolly you and everyone else has a great day.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Beegirl, I had my first sting on Sunday from my bees, I was really pleased because it was no were near as bad as I had feared, I have had much more pain and for longer from a nettle. – Sounds silly really to be pleased at being stung, but it did feel like a bit of a leap into the dark buying bees and hives without knowing if I would be one of the small percentage of the population that has an allergic reaction to bee stings. I had walked away from the hives to relight the smoker again and took my glove off and one got me on my thumb. Thanks for the tip of using water to calm them rather than smoke. I will look into that. I have been thinking about driving back to return the nuc boxes and get the deposit back on them. But from the way the bees are expanding I think I will be able to split the hives later this summer so the Nuc boxes will come in handy.
    ——————–
    You asked what to do about lunch at the bee keeping course. – Well there are three options. If its professionals doing the catering, than you could specify dietary requirements of low carb or ketogenic. Some places are good, the pub where I have gone to various meetings in the past is very good on checking on options. Others not so, the local steam railway had a tourism event and I ended up having to explain to the man wearing whites and a big white hat in the kitchen on the train that because carbs are not listed in the ingredients section of the lid of the ice cream tub doesn’t make it a low carb item. You have to read the nutrition label. – It can be fun to be bolshy at times. 🙂

Option 2, if you are staying at your mums you could make up something to take with you for lunch. The mini frittatas (spanish omlettes) are quick to make, are nice cold or can be warmed up if there is a microwave available.

Option 3, pick up a bag of salad on the way, and take a knife and fork with you and eat the fillings out of the sandwiches with salad and discard the bread.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone including Golden Girls and ‘ Old Chooks ‘ 😉 I have no idea what an Old Chook is but I am probably one of them 😉 😉

I am on the naughty step Six T because I am not receiving any notifications of new posts of the forum at the moment ( and I don’t even smoke !!!) Weird..

So I have to spend time reading the latest posts but I need to type some more reports first as I feel a bit of pressure to complete them before Monday
    back soon xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Don’t blame me or my habits Wendleg! You could make life easy for yourself; three random piles; Pile A “Eager to please but could do better”; Pile B “Diligent and encouraging results”; Pile C “Model student; excellent; will go far”. Kafin, talking of school reports, how was the Spanish exam? Birdy are you back? And Shellbob, lost track of your Scottish trip timing. SunnyB in Turkey and CG in Bath? Esnecca, my mum is coming up to stay for her 88th b’day this w/end; your little cheesecakes are on the menu in lieu of b’day cake. I can’t easily get the recommended sweeteners in time, so will just do without, and serve with some fresh raspberries on top!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendleg, an old chook is an old hen.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The raspberries are great idea, 6T. They’ll add easy sweetness and they go very well with cinnamon and pecans. I hope your mom likes them and has the happiest of birthdays. 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy that’s why we are ‘golden girls’! Unless of course you’d rather be an ‘old chook’!!!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I am conscious that Esnecca and I have still not quite bottomed out my commission for collating all her recipes on here, when her recipe book is launched. But I was thinking maybe a cheesecake variation, ground ginger instead of cinnamon; lightly poached rhubarb (when in season) on top; some cooking juice swirled through the cream cheese mix? What do you think? I’m still happy with 25% on gross royalties. And although it has added to my cals, I do see it as progress that I now (not every day!) just enjoy a bit of cambazola/blue brie by itself; no bread/crackers/grapes as a “necessary” addition.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m back 6T ! One more set of reports done and I am feeling virtuous !
    Yes, hoping Kirsten is feeling positve ( relieved ?) after the Spanish exam.I used to have nightmares where I was in a state of dread because I hadn’t revised ! Strange how these traumas still haunt me over 20 years later !!!
    Looking forward to hearing from our dear Birdy. Yes, I have been wondering about Shellbob too. SunnyB is still living the life in Turkey. CG must still be exploring Bath and the SW ?
    Love the sound of Esnecca’s cheesecakes, 6T. I don’t do any desserts or baking and gave away the crème brulée which was on the daily menu at a restaurant today with friends. I actually approach menus with trepidation these days as I fear disappointment. It was ok..I had fish ( baked julienne) .. ling ?? with ratatouille rather than the chips or baked spud but I honestly feel we can whip up nicer meals at home ! I am becoming a BSD hermit !!
    How is your baking coming along Patricia ? I have never crammed a whole pack of Doritos into my gob but you know I have form as far as Dairy Crunch is concerned !!
    My day was not totally ruined because I found some cream which is very acceptable in my morning coffee, surprising for France. Also got some sprouted seeds which reminded me I have to get my sprouting kit out again. Still researching the fermentation !

As always, JGwen is astounding us all with her knowledge which is so useful for those starting out, thanks JGwen.
    Have you had a good day Scottishgal ?
    Hi MerryMelba in Melbourne ! My boy tells me it is very cold there !
    Articfox….not keen on you eating cake unless Six T or Patricia or Essie has made it !
    Have you organised your shopping /meal plans, Squidge ?
    Enjoy your hotel break, V !
    LollyT I wouldn’ t worry too much about the ‘new book’ Nothing majorly different. I have found watching videos and podcats much more informative than the Fast 800 itself. Lots of book recommendations if you need them ? There is a variety of topics and queries covered on http://www.dietdoctor.com. Feeling ‘rubbish ‘ is a waste of energy so banish that thought and just push on without looking backwards with regret. You can’t do anything about last year that but you can influence how you will feel in a few days/weeks/months from now xx Keep reading JGwen’s posts so you can ‘get your head around ‘ the science and stop being fearful or stressing about regaining. You are going to feel great, believe it !
    Hi Nettle ! Stick with us and share your experience !
    Bee Girl I have never ventured into making bone broth . For my extended fasts, or any fasts in fact I just drank water ( with pink salt now and again) , green tea and the occasional black coffee…. I don’t know about concentrates
    Hello Elky in Canberra .Keep going and keep asking the questions. You have made a great start.
    How are you enigma ? Skipping ? On a Mission ?
    Hi Allie !! I know you will join me in hoping Amz checks in with us xxx
    Thanks for the clarification JGwen.I think I will be a Golden Girl ;-)

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks 6T and Wendy – I think it went pretty well, with the exception of the preterite/imperfect section! I thought I had it figured out in which to use when but kind of went to hell in a hand basket in the moment! Anyway, it’s done now and I’m enjoying not studying today xx

• posted by Alice2B
    on

Hello! I haven’t posted for ages but I wanted to pop back with an update. Since restricting carbs, (started end first week of March), I have managed to lose 23lb. BMI is back in the ‘healthy weight’ range and I have managed to get back into my old 505s, (fine, as long as I don’t want to breathe too much). I started with the Fast 800 but switched to cooking meals as I normally do early on – just cutting out refined carbs/pasta/rice/potatoes etc. I’m sure I would have lost more weight if I had stuck to the Fast 800 but my OH wasn’t keen. I’m going to chip away at my weight over the next few months and see how my cholesterol levels are faring come October, (blood sugar levels were fine, cholesterol wasn’t great and I was overweight).

As someone who has tried to lose weight over the last 20 odd years and failed (in fact just weight just kept creeping upwards), this has been, by far, the most successful approach – I don’t ‘diet’ as such – I just don’t eat as much carbohydrate as I used to. For me it’s been a slightly different approach to eating. It’s brilliant!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Alice2B, great to hear that this is effective for you. Adapting this WOE to your life is good, as you need to enjoy the food you eat and feel full. You are managing your weight discard to suit you, there is no one size fits all, we are all different with different approaches, and challenges.

Kafin, it’s great to hear that the exam went (mostly) well. You worked very hard, well done. Do you have a chance to practice your conversational Spanish?

Birdy, hope you have a good week ahead and get a good rest before work starts.

Wendy, my recent cake baking has been fun, and it is a small part of the delight of cooking in this WOE. I haven’t been eating or baking cakes since January this year, and my DH baked a cake for himself in my absence. I realized he hasn’t done this in months, in case I felt deprived. Isn’t he the best!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Wendy – I count it as a victory that I haven’t eaten any cake since starting to post here again. I have stayed away from the only good bakery in town completely and have refrained from buying any nasty supermarket versions. Although I consumed an excess number of carbs last weekend, they were all of more of the savory/salty variety.
    Patricia – I am at just over 11 months since my accident. I somehow managed to avoid breaking any bones (although the A&E doctor said “it’s a miracle” given the height I fell from and the amount of force which I went flying and the amount of bruising and pain I had) and fell just to the right of my spine, so narrowly avoided a spinal injury as well. I guess having extra padding on the backside came in very handy on this occasion! I had a lot of deep contusion that took its time working its way out to the surface and some adhesions that caused nerve pain and numbness as well as SI joint issues resulting from the impact. I also had vestibular issues from hitting my head and had to undergo a very intensive retraining program for that which left me exhausted (and made my work colleagues think I was crazy with the exercises I had to do multiple times a day such as standing on one leg on a balance pad while twirling a stripey umbrella in front of my eyes). So its taken a while to get back into anything more than just walking or a gentle float in the pool.
    A small NSV today. I had bought a pair of white linen blend trousers last year just before my accident to replace an older pair that were wearing out and getting too big. They were a little snug, but I was still losing weight at that point. Since I gained a lot of weight back over this winter, I had to go back to wearing the old ones when the warmer weather hit as the new ones were too tight. I wore the old ones last week and was going to wear them again tomorrow for my last presentation, but when they came out of the wash, I noticed that I had worn through them where my thighs rub together and there is a big hole. So, what to do? While heaving a big sigh and saying to myself ‘but the new ones are too tight’, I decided to try them on anyway. They fit! So tomorrow I will be rocking my presentation with new trousers and the new shoes I got last week!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks Patricia! Living in LA gives me lots of opportunities to practice but I’m a bit shy. Although, everyone is very kind and helpful when I do give it a go! I’ll need to be a bit more proactive as Spanish 3 is not being offered until Fall term and it’s during the day so I may not be able to do it. Thinking of going to Costa Rica or Panama for an intensive language school and full immersion but with my child advocacy training and a work trip to Munich at the end of August, it might be tricky to fit in right now.
    I love to bake and decorate too but rarely do it as it’s just me and I have zero willpower if it’s in the house. You sound like you’re much more controlled!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi All

Really just checking in to say hello.

JGwen, thanks for the link to Megan Ramos’ post, that was really enlightening. I think that maybe I should try the 3x[whatever] fast, rather than a single super long fast (like 72 hours) each week. That would give my body more regular “breaks” from food of any kind. I’m not big on lunch during the week, it’s just inconvenient at work, so I’d probably do 48 hours during the week and then maybe a shorter one on the weekend, when I would eat lunch. Anyway, it’s fun to try these things out and see what works for me (OMG someone slap me now, fasting is fun??!!)

Sixturkeys, no I haven’t yet found the “soups” thread but it definitely sounds like something I will chase up. It sure is the weather for it here! Good thick frost on the birdbaths this morning. And on the subject of recipes, where are these cheesecake recipes that you were talking about? Desserts that are OK for this WOE? That sounds amazing!

And I did laugh that “old chook” needed translating, I didn’t even think of that. Yes, “golden girls” is definitely kinder, lol Is anyone else here old enough to remember when old hens were “boilers”, that is fit only for the stewing pot? It’s a miracle I didn’t go with “old boiler”, lol

Arcticfox, high five on the new trousers fitting. That’s such an exciting moment, when something that was unwearable suddenly just slips on!

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Elky and all the “one week aat” folk
    If you search cinnamon cheesecake in the search box at top of this page, and then click on the second entry you will find Essie’s cheesecake recipe and other low carb delights! I am going to try making the cheesecake tomorrow.

I wendleg! Yes – very chilly in Melbourne this week, but at last we have some very much needed rain. It’s not reaching all the country towns that need rain, but my suburban garden is loving it. We really shouldn’t complain about the cold – compared to our Northern Hemisphere cousins we do it easy – no snow or sleet!

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks Merry, I will follow up that cheesecake recipe today!

• posted by erinmc82
    on

hi everyone, hope you’re all well and having a good week. i’ve been lurking in the forums every chance i get – learnt some great tips and the honesty i’ve seen really helped me to be honest with myself, track everything and not cheat. so thank you!

so, for accountability: just finished week 1 and weighed in today – 12lbs down and 3” less in the waist.

i aimed for 20g carbs(ish) but am struggling to keep my protein down – had 71g on monday. i’ve also struggled with my cravings for things i never normally eat – scones, doughnuts, chocolate. i’m normally a savoury kind of girl.
    but no baguettes and no booze for a week is a victory for this roly poly!

i ate out twice. i took mayo and hot sauce to the carvery to replace the gravy and managed to decline a yorkshire or potatoes. i also went to yo sushi – some great choices both calorie and carb-wise. i asked for a salmon and avocado handroll without the rice and they did it no problem. that plus sashimi made for a nice lunch but i left still feeling rather hungry.

this weeks plan: reduce my portions of meat and fish, continue tracking on mfp and drinking water and try to introduce some walking daily.
    any extra tips for this week greatly received!

thanks again for being here and making my first week enjoyable! good luck to you all.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi Erinmc82, what a great start and an amazing loss. You’re doing really well navigating eat out too.
    Here’s to new trousers fitting, delicious cheesecakes that won’t spike our blood sugar and exams passed. Spring chickens not stringy old boiler fowl, walking past bakeries with hardly a backward glance and wearing smaller knickers.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, family have gone and I am very upset (maybe why I was a bit touchy over a comment last night). Daughters new boyfriend has decided that they are not coming to spend 2 weeks of the summer holiday here with us. I am heartbroken but it was bound to happen one day. I thought it would be when the boys were older and didn’t want to spend time with their old nana but that decision has been taken out of their hands and daughter is so smitten she will go along with his wishes. Hey ho, at least I can crack on with the diet without any distractions.

They left on a 10am flight so I was straight back onto the diet and have managed to lose 1.25 lbs overnight. My first goal is to lose 3kg before I visit the doctor in 2 weeks (and I have my next HbA1c) and hope I havent done too much damage with my almost 4 weeks holiday break. At least I know it can all be made better in a few short weeks of following the plan.

• posted by LollyT
    on

Wearing smaller knickers!! That really made me smile. Nothing like hanging up your knickers to dry and being amazed at the size of your own bottom!
    I think I’ve had a little breakthrough, but it’s still early days so let’s see if it sticks. I’ve tried a 24hour fast and I think it might be the answer for me. Means I don’t have to worry about breakfast or lunch, panicking over what to eat and adding all the calories and macros. And by the time dinner comes around I have so much freedom to play with because 800 cals is a pretty satisfying dinner! Also means I have a lot more focus and time during work. So fingers crossed this will make it all more achievable for me at least during the working week. I’m so sick of losing and gaining the same weight over and over again. Every time I fall off the wagon I undo all the hard work I’ve done and these dizzy/ car sick spells are miserable. Need to make some changes aside from the diet to make my lifestyle overall better. Starting with moving more, even on lazy days or sick days. And being mindful when I eat, so I don’t accidentally slip into a binge without even realising.
    Anyone else do the 24 hours fasts? Any tips for a newbie?

Erinmc82 you are doing amazingly! I always think the challenge really hits when eating out so I’m impressed! Speaking of MFP are any of you friends on there? I’ve been using MFP for years but always kept it to myself really. I wonder if having BSD chums on there would help?

on

Hi again, I was in the middle of typing when my post posted all by itself. Was going to add, I havent had time to read through all this weeks posts but hope I can catch up with you all as the week goes on.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello everyone I have been trying to catch up in emails but still have 60+ to go so sorry if I don’t include everyone. Wendy thank you for your kind words❤️ My Aunty had a lovely send off and as a family we had a fantastic time catching up and celebrating her life. I was naughty whilst away as I had scones with clotted cream and alcohol! I also now have an abscess and the whole left side of my face is swollen!! I have been to the doctors and got antibiotics and I am hoping to go to the dentist in the morning. JGwen as ever your advice has been insightful and invaluable thank you. Beegirl you need to count the the first big loss! I did and it has spurred me on! All weight loss wether water or fat is good and I haven’t put any of that water weight back on so it is all part of it. I hope it was you or maybe it LollyT sorry if I have it wrong but I would definitely count it. I went to the doctors and he weighed me at my request and I am at 15.7 100kg and shows I haven’t done any damage thankfully. But even though I ate some rubbish whilst away I still TRE everyday. I am going to go back to one meal a day Sunday Monday Tuesday as I like that I can have my whole carbs in one meal and keep them low and not worry about going over. I can also keep my protein to a minimum too. To all of you our bodies are different and we need to find what works for us as individuals, once we have done that we will sail through and see results. Please remember not to beat yourselves up when you make a mistake or eat something you shouldn’t as this is a Way Of Life not a quick fix. So these good habits we are forming are going to help us keep healthier for longer. Even some of the experienced long timers have the odd glass of wine! Being healthy but still enjoying food is what this is all about. I have never tried so many new things and I am loving it. You guys are all amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your openness, helpfulness and support. Keep on keeping on guys as we can do this, of that I am sure ❤️❤️❤️💞🦜 Birdy

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Not been around much as parents not been good but all better thankfully (or as good as its going to be) been lurking reading posts but not posting.
    I have had a much better week this week on this WOEI. Ihave finally got below 12 stone – it is only by 4 ounces but it is amazing what a lift to the spirits it is to see the stone number change.
    I have been really interested in the scientific explanations on this thread, they really help.
    I too have been wondering about what we used to eat compared to what we eat now.
    We had three meals a day (no snacks) and definately pudding with both lunch and dinner. I had two cooked meals a day when I was a child and was as thin as a rake but was very active – and ate enough to kill a horse.
    But one interesting thing – I was clearing out a box int the attic and came across plates I had bought in 1980 when I was a student. I am such a hoarder. They are of course brown (those were the days!!) but what shocked me was how much smaller they are than the plates I have now. They have to be two thirds of the size. I am going to measure them properly tonight but I have a horrible feeling that the plates I use how have twice the area for food than my old ones, so twice the amount of food goes on my plate and into my stomach. I have started using them again. Could it be that this weeks success is down to smaller portions. I have not felt deprived of food – I have heard the saying that you eat with your eyes and if I have thought I have had a plateful them it seems to have fooled my brain!
    I too am going to try the intermittent fasting. I often go without food for long periods then stuff myself afterwards Just need to stop the last bit.
    Good to see so many people on the thread
    Take care all
    MM

• posted by Verano
    on

MM your post certainly gave me food for thought. When I think about it the dinner plates I used to use had a raised rim around the outside but now I have flat plates. Sooooo, the food ‘area’ on my plates is much bigger than on the plates I used years ago! Mmmm something to consider because I guess nobody wants to see an empty looking plate so I probably put far more food on a plate than I used to …. maybe we should all use smaller plates to help portion control.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g it is sad when things change and our grandchildren grow up! Maybe there is a compromise in there as the summer holidays are so long. Could they come to you on their own for a week or so? Just a thought.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Good observations MM. I do think that portion sizes have crept up over the years. And often main meal sizes that are serves when we eat out are huge.
    During this Fast800 – I am at week 10- I have been using smaller plates and dishes. My lunch – first meal of the day- I serve on a bread and butter plate. My egg, avocado, cheese and mushrooms fill the plate! And I don’t feel anything is missing. My small serve of full fat yogurt and a few berries is served in a small condiment dish. It’s psychological, but it works for me in helping me keep portion sizing on track. And I make myself sit at the table to eat, no eating on the go.. …

• posted by LollyT
    on

I completely agree, I feel so much more satisfied with a meal if it fills the plate, so I tend to use smaller dishes too. It’s seems silly that we have to trick our minds like that, but if it works it works! It’s the same with coffee and tea. Cups used to be so much smaller and now they are getting a little ridiculous.

on

Thanks for the suggestion V, the problem is not the grandchildren but the new boyfriend. It is a combination as he has 3 children of his own who live with his ex and he wants to spend holidays as a family, so 5 kids and 2 adults can get very expensive to fly out here. He is looking at things like Centre Parks. The boys cannot come unattended until they are 16, French law.

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Hi guys,
    So my Monday hangover was joined by the start of my period and I’ve been too grumpy to be in the mood for chatting, so I have quite a bit of catching up on posts to do.
    Hope u have all been well.
    I haven’t been great on my diet, I’ve allowed myself more calories and bits of dark chocolate throughout the day, this just about worked for me. Normally I would have gone crazy for the sugar and carbs, ordering a large pizza, ice cream, dessert, chocolate and sweets. So I’m comparison I’ve been really good so I’m not too disappointed.
    I am however conscious of the fact that I’ve had quite a few days off plan now.
    So from tomorrow I am getting back on track properly again.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I have come in from the garden, making the most of the last few days of ‘freedom’. Lots of good advice and tips today….all very useful.As Birdy says we have to find what works for us.For me it was definitely putting foods into 2 categories…those that are nutritious and do me good and the toxic sugar carbage that is damaging Those ‘foods’ are not our friends. I know I’m boring 😉
    Hope you feel better soon, Birdy xx We have missed your chirpy birdiness but glad the family get together went well in the circumstances and you did your Aunt proud xx
    Good to see you back Madmare ! Let us know how you get on with the intermittent fasting. Lolly T, I started doing 24h fasts quite early on. I think it just fitted with my work routine.I dont eat breakfast and can work through my lunch time.Make sure you drink lots. Stop if you feel unwell and just build up to what is manageable for you. It is better to mix up the fasting periods rather than doing OMAD every day as I have read that if done regularly the body can interpret this as calorie restriction. Go for it too , Elky !
    My bloomers are definitely smaller LollyT !!
    Sorry about the family disappointment sunshine girl. If your daughter is smitten then just bite your tongue and try not to criticise the boyfriend …..it’s all new and if he is a decent human being he will respect your daughter (and your wishes ) and they will be back for a holiday at a later date.It’s hard adjusting to our kids not being where we would like them to be. Mine could hardly be further away in Oz but I know they are happy . Thank goodness for Whatsapp ! If my son goes quiet I will get Merry Melba from Melbourne to go and check on him 😉 😉 Concentrate on your wellbeing SG so when you next see your daughetr she will be wowed ! How long till the boys can travel unaccompanied ?
    I am definitely not an old boiler fowl, Skipping 😉 That made me chuckle !!
    Well done on your first week erinmc82 ! Sounds like your body was reacting to the carb restriction. Stay strong, the longer you resist the easier it will be to crack any cravings and one day you will amaze yourself when carbage no longer has the same appeal.
    Keep going Alice2b. Really pleased it’s working for you. I know what you mean by ‘dieting ‘ for 20 odd years. I too just lurched from one new weight loss idea to the next….until now 😉
    Hope you have a good weekend articfox. I am rejoicing in your white trouser moment. It’s shocking to hear of your injuries and the horrendous aftermath….and I sometimes forget how far you have come. You are incredibly brave xx
    Hi Patricia ! Hi 6T ! I see the Uk is going to be in high temperatures this weekend ! Enjoy ! Are you gardening 6T ?? That will distract you from the demon fags 😉  I will stop annoying you now ! Particularly as you have been behaving yourself lately 😉 😉 Oh heck, don’ t let that get misconstrued 😉 I’m still on the naughty step.Not receiving notifications of new posts !!

Don’t be grumpy Niknak ! Glad you are back with us.I can’t remember what I was like during my period ..probably pretty obnoxious and no doubt consuming multiple slabs of Dairy Crunch… !!
    Kafin/Kirsten relax now with Albert and don’t dwell on the grammar errors. Remember at the end of the day what is important is your ability to get a message across and the percentage on a written exam paper rarely reflects that. I never really started speaking French or Spanish competently and communicating with any fluency until I spent a year abroad so your intensive programme is a great plan !

I am going to nip over to the Positives thread now.Verano has given me hope for my scanty eyebrows !!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Morning everyone – I’m at the vet with Albert who is getting chest X-rays, rabies vaccine and nails trimmed in preparation for his radiation treatment on June 10th. He’s not very happy about being here but I’ve explained that it’s all part of a bigger picture. And he’s gained a pound!
    I’ve been terrible for weeks and I’m getting fatter and fatter. About the only thing I mange to do is drink all my water. I start over every day and then I fail. I 100% believe in this and I’ve seen good results in the past but I just can’t seem to get myself back on track. I know it has to be me to do it and you are all so encouraging so somehow I need to just pull it together. I’m just so sick of myself. So, another day and here we go again.
    I’m very impressed by all of you posting such great results and more importantly, consistency. I hope to be in your shoes one day xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Kafin, just reading your post and thinking it has summed me up perfectly. I’m really struggling at the moment to get back into this WOE. I know it’s right for me and my diabetes and I really want to stick to it. I love the food on it and losing weight and it’s great for my bg levels but somehow I just can’t seem to get the motivation back. I’ve thought long and hard about it and I’m hitting a brick wall. I’ve no idea why I’m struggling so much. Life in general is fine (apart from work), I’m in a loving relationship, my kids are in a good place just now so there is absolutely no reason for comfort eating and constant “treats” “to cheer me up”. I’ll be 52 next month and my mum did suggest that the low moods could be linked to the menopause even though I have no other symptoms. I just don’t know what to do any more or whether just to throw in the towel and start again when ready. You are so right that it has to be up to us as individuals to do it. Yes lots of encouragement and support is great but the effort and commitment has to come from within…..and that’s the bit I’m struggling with!
    I really do hope you manage to get it together and would be interested in hearing how you, and others, overcome the hurdles. I started off this week with good intentions as usual…..and failed miserably.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi ScottishGal – I’m sorry you’re struggling too, I wish we could find the magic path. I can’t honestly say that life in general is fine, I struggle a lot with it but if life never gets better then I’ll never do this so I just have to knuckle down. Maybe you need to come live here for a while and we’ll do it together!! The only thing I can think of is that as much as I want to do it, I have to be ready and maybe I’m not right now. Although that sounds like a bit of a cop out. I’m here anytime, you want to download and I’m hoping we can do this!!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi All

Mostly just checking in to say hi, the difference in time zones means I have lots to read in the morning 😊

Scottishgal, your mum might be on to something with the menopause suggestion. I’m about your age, and went through it virtually symptom free recently, except that – in retrospect – I was feeling pretty low a lot of the time for a while there. I also got divorced a couple of years ago, after 25 plus years, so I blamed my depression on that. And I’m sure that was a part of it, but now I wonder if the menopause wasn’t a factor too.

I don’t know what to suggest, sadly, because when you’re feeling really low it’s hard to care what you’re eating. And I haven’t been following this WOE very long, so I’d hate to suggest something completely wrong! I wonder, though, would it help if you just focused on reducing the carbs a lot and didn’t care about calories for a while? Then you could still have lots of comforting things like cheese and creamy coffee and yummy buttery sauces with things (and pork belly, but maybe that’s just me!!). Your calories would probably be pretty high, but if it let you wean yourself off carbs, it might be worth it in the slightly longer term? Anyway, I’m sure others who’ve been doing this for ages will have other ideas, but just thought I’d put it out there. Apologies if it’s completely wrong!!

A question for you all: can I use psyllium husks when I’m fasting, without breaking the fast? And without stopping autophagy? (I appreciate they may be two different answers.) Fasting is working quite well for me, though it’s early days of course, but I confess it is having one unwelcome side effects (she says, delicately 😊). I guess I could take them with dinner on the days that I’m eating, but I think it’d be more beneficial if I could take them every morning. Hence my question about breaking the fast.

Have a lovely day all.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Final presentation of the month done and dusted! It was by far the most tense one as I was put on the hot seat and asked some very difficult questions by a bunch of local politicians in front of about 70 other people. I had some people come up to me after and say ‘well done’ though and I actually had some olive branches extended by some adversaries, so that was really positive.
    I definitely didn’t get as lucky with lunch this time as last week though. It was minestrone soup, sandwiches and an enormous amount of pasta salad followed by melon and cookies for dessert. I had skipped breakfast as it was just going to be a pain to transport it and eat it, so I was really quite hungry. I couldn’t eat any of the vegetarian sandwiches on offer as all the fillings were made with mayonaise that I can’t have due to my allergy, and same with the pasta salad, even if I wasn’t trying to keep carbs low. I talked to the catering staff and they had some green salad set aside and some vegan sandwiches, so I had some of those. The salad was lettuce and tomato, and I couldn’t have any dressing with it due to soybean oil in it and the sandwiches consisted of tomato and iceberg lettuce in wraps, so I couldn’t even bear the thought of unwrapping them and only having tomato and lettuce for lunch. So I ate them, but they were horrible and soggy. I was presenting right after lunch and didn’t want to feel empty. I had some of the vegetables and broth out of the soup as well in the end, but just left the pasta bits in the bottom of the bowl. I did succumb to fruit and a piece of chocolate after my presentation and fully recognized it as my usual coming down from stress reaction. With regard to plate size – the plates were huge, and may have contributed to me feeling that I didn’t have a very satisfying lunch, although there is no denying the quality of food was pretty poor this time as well. At home I just use side plates exclusively.
    Kafin and Scottishgal – I really hear you with the struggling. I continue to have a number of bad moments mixed in with the good each week. I also did not feel ready when I started posting here again, but knew I needed to do something as I couldn’t let any more weight pile on before I was ready. I’m still not fully on board, but I refuse to think of it as failing every week. I am making progress and each time I slip up I am learning from it and hopefully will have improved skills for when I get in that situation again. Kafin, you seem to be contending with so much right now, I don’t think it is a cop out to say you are not ready at the moment. I was looking back at some old posts yesterday and I managed to get through some rough times previously with the support and encouragement from many people on this forum. At that time, I had already been on this WOE for a couple of months and so it was easier to stick to plan with tips and support from others. This time it is a bit different because I’m trying to start while still a little bit in the middle of a lot of stress.
    I was watching a presentation by Dr. David Unwin last night and he and his wife who is a psychologist were talking about how they drive behaviour change in their patients that is so different from how doctors usually approach consultation. As they were working through the model they use, I thought that it would be really quite easy to apply to myself. They use the acronym GRIN. The G is for goals. They ask what life would look like with the excess weight gone or the diabetes reversed and get the person to imagine their preferred future. For me this would be less pain, more energy and strength and being able to easily fit into clothes that aren’t the largest in the shop (particularly when it comes to riding clothes which are very unforgiving and seem to be sized for string beans). The R is for resources and resiliency. What resources do you have available to help you suceed and who do you have to support you? I have knowledge of what to do as I’ve done it before and this forum, so far. I is for increments. Can you pick a small increment that is doable in the short term that will help you move towards success? Scottishgal, I think the very next thing I need to do is to come up with a list of ‘treats’ and ‘rewards’ and things that will make me feel better that do not include food, print it off and keep copies wherever I might succumb to using food as a coping mechanism. Is that something that might work for you too? N is for noticing. Notice every time you have a sucess, however small. Focus more on what you are doing right, rather than ‘failures’ and this will be much more motivating and then you can keep building sucess on sucess. Thanks to my sports background, I already tend to do this, and I think this might be why you may think I am doing better than you at the moment. I have a tendency to report much more of what went well than what went wrong. I can assure you that I am a long way off being perfect and am not by any means fully re-engaged in this WOE yet, but I do think I’ve been making some small bits of progress and I think that is worth celebrating (only not with cake)!
    Here is the link if anyone is interested in watching the whole thing:

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Got up at the unfeasibly early hour of 5.15 am (not deliberately, but just as well as have to do some house sprucing up ahead of mum’s arrival later today). I am sorry to read about struggles, Kafin and Scottishgal. Kafin, I do wish I could be of more help. I don’t know whether you are in a bit of a vicious circle, you may be down and then you see yourself as “failing”, and that just perpetuates that in your mind. We had that coincidence of the little rubber ball imagery, and we will all keep bouncing back to you! You will get there, you have done so before, please don’t be so hard on yourself, just focus on what feels right for you in the “now”. Each day is a new one! And hope this one is good for all. x

• posted by Cazza65
    on

Hi All,

I don’t normally post here (I just read and learn 🙂 ). I’ve just completed 12 weeks on this WOE. I have lost 17lbs in total but would like to lose another 8lbs at least. For the last 3 weeks I’ve not lost anything, but I’m still doing vlc – any ideas how to kick start this again?
    On starting this my HBA1C was 68 (8%) and I got my results on Tuesday of my latest HBA1C and they were 40 (5.8%) – DELIGHTED! My DN said that’s a non-diabetic result – just need to try to keep it up now. But I had a half slice of wholemeal toast the other day and my BS went up to 7.8 two hours later – is this normal?
    The posts on here are really inspirational, keep up the good work everyone 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Cazza65 stop testing your blood sugar ! The HbA1c is the only really reliable measure and the one your DN and doctor will use as reference. Finger pricking will tell you what your blood sugar is at that moment in time but varies widely by what you have eaten. Relax in the knowledge that your HbA1c is in the normal range but don’t test yourself to see how many carbs you can eat! Just try and internalise the fact that carbs and diabetes don’t mix. For those of us with diabetes, even when in remission, carbs are the enemy not just in getting our BS lower but keeping it that way. Sorry but this is a lifelong way of eating not just a short sharp fix! Sorry to sound a bit harsh but that’s the reality.
    Scottishgal and Kaffin I’m so sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment. Unfortunately, life happens and if we all waited for the ‘ideal’ time to start it would probably never arrive! I think 98% of us have down times when we fall of the wagon, and from my own experience, I find it harder and harder to restart every time. But I have a new trick at the moment which may just help. I’ve stopped weighing and recording every morsel that I eat and drink. In saying that I have been following this WOE for nearly three years so have a good idea about portion size so you may need to keep a closer eye on things. What I am doing at the moment is keeping a daily diary/journal in which I note down at the start of the day all my ‘downfalls/snacks/treats’ , whatever you like to call them. Anyway I have a list of four items that are throwing me of course each day and at the end of the day I cross through the items I’ve not eaten. It gives me a great feeling of success when I see those straight lines. So there are no feelings of failure and it’s so much better than eating something and feeling guilty!
    I’m not sure that anybody else would advocate this reverse psychology but if all else fails it may be worth a try even if it only makes you more aware of how you are sabotaging yourself.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Artic
    Thank you for sharing the GRIN principles with us, I am sure this is a piece of advice that will be relevant over and over for people. So much so that I wonder if you would mind cutting and pasting that section of your post on the Take a look at This thread – So its on a thread where its easy to refer people to in the future.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g ahh yes the problems of ‘blended families’! Life takes all sorts of twists and turns and I guess we just have hope that our children are happy. My grandchildren live in different parts of the country and as they are getting older we see less of them as their own social lives blossom. We can only enjoy the times we do have with them. Such is life!

on

Hi everyone, thank you for the link Articfox. Cazza yes it is normal for your BG to go up after eating, even 2 hours, and it depends on what you eat – for me, going back to even good carbs (wholemeal, brown etc) put up my BG.
    V, there are so many other complications. Example, daughter wants them all to come to us for a holiday but my hubby says no. My hubby is a grumpy B…. at the best of times and nit picks about everything and I am surprised daughter and boyfriend didn’t plot to kill him during the last week – so another reason for them not to want to come. Money is an issue, bringing 5 kids and 2 adults over. There is also the fact that daughter desperately wants us to go back to UK to live. I think about it every now and then and, I know I am being selfish but when I look around me and material things (big house with no mortgage, lots of land, swimming pool) but also style of living, no traffic, clean country air, no crowds, peace and quiet, I dont know if I can give that up. The boys are not interested in spending time with oldies and are always on their machines although here we take them out lots or play in the garden or the pool. Back in UK we would never see them. I know daughter would love me to go to the gym with her, exercise and swim – which I would love, but she expects us to live in a small apartment and even need a mortgage. There is also a small matter of the ‘B’ word which I wont go into here but it is all causing me a great deal of distress. I know I will be okay and it is just my feelings of loss when they first go back. By next week I will be completely rehabilitated and back in my old routines. Someone asked how old they have to be to travel alone, it is 16, used to be 12 but they changed it last year.

Anyway, I have just rung the doctor for an appointment on 12th – it slips forward every time as I go when my 3 month prescription needs renewing but forget that some meds come in 28 packs not 30 days so over the 3 months I lose a nearly a weeks worth of tablets. So, lab for blood tests on the 10th and doc on 12th – only 2.75kgs to lose. Keep on keeping on everyone, you are doing so well.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g part of me wonders just how much of your daughter you might see when the novelty of ‘mum being home’ wears off! I’m not at all sure you should feel guilty about your lifestyle especially if you compare it to what might be if you come back. You’re OH is an entirely different story and one only you can deal with! I think you may just regret coming back here but then only you can work that one out. Just don’t be pressurised by anyone.
    Good luck with your upcoming appointments.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

SG it can be so hard when it comes to families and family time, so sorry you are feeling it at the moment. I also understand that it would be hard to give up all that you have worked for as it sounds so lively where you are. I would love to live in France in an old farm house with a pool and I would love to have a fire with it that I could rent out. It has been a dream of mine for a long time! My OH said he might consider it when he retires! That is an age away but I can still dream. Sorry kafin and scottishgal that you are struggling at the moment😢. You know your own minds and bodies and I am sure when you have sorted Albert and the job(Scottishgal) you will both be in a much better place to continue your WOE’s. We are all here cheering you on and will be here for whatever you need. Wendy I hope you are getting on ok with your reports and I hope next Monday is not too big of a shock❤️ . JGwen as always you are our fountain of knowledge and I thank you. My notes app is full of your advice and findings for easy access when I hit the brick wall. Allie I hope you are well my little star 🌟 ❤️ Essie I love the sound of cheesecakes and I really do think you should collate a book and make some money from it. Beegirl I love hearing about your bees and love what you are doing by keeping them. I wish we could all do it and help them to keep us all alive and with ample food to sustain us. You are all doing so well even with all that life throws at us. 6T I hope you and your mum have a fab time celebrating her birthday. As another week is almost over I wish you a very happy Friday and hope your the tape measures and scales show you just how awesome you all are. I am eating three meals a day at the mo to counteract the painkillers and antibiotics I am on and hoping it doesn’t make too much of a difference as I would rather be fasting as the OH is away! Hey ho and we go. Love and hugs Birdy💞🦜. P.s sorry Artic fox that you have had a couple of hurdles again this week but we’ll sone in fitting into those smaller trousers🤗❤️

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Sunshine-girl, I don’t think you are being selfish or considering only material things when not wanting to move. I worked in planning for many years and people’s environment has a big impact on their health. I was reminded of that recently at the conference I went to at the beginning of the month where there were public health officers talking about just that. Also, financial security plays a big role in keeping stress levels down. And it sounds like you have access to some pretty decent health care in France. Looking after your health and well-being is not selfish! I would also agree with others who say the novelty will likely wear off for your daughter once you were back in the UK. I used to live where all my friends and family had to either fly or take a ferry to visit me (and me them). They all used to moan about it, and when I was transferred closer to them, they all said “oh, now we can see you much more often”, and quite frankly I see them all far less now. I used to live in a desireable touristy place, so people wanted to visit. Now I live in a hole in the wall suburban community and even if people are driving past on the motorway, they won’t stop in to see me. It just isn’t somewhere that people are interested in visiting.
    JGwen – yes, I’ll post the link over on the Take A Look At This thread so others can find it as well.
    I pulled a new pair of goal trousers out of my closet today. The ones I was using are more of a fall/winter weight and becoming less appealing to even try on as the weather warms up. These ones are 100% linen in a timeless wide-leg style and have absolutely no stretch in them. I really loved wearing them and they are still in good condition so haven’t got rid of them, even though I haven’t fit into them since the summer before I moved here 6 years ago (there is the effect of suburban living on your weight and health right there!). As they are wide leg I can get them on, but the waistband does not currently meet. I haven’t weighed myself but I’m sure in spite of clothes feeling a little looser, I’m losing pretty slowly right now, but I probably have at least a month before the really hot weather kicks in, so I’ll make that my goal and even if I don’t make it, hopefully I will be closer than I am right now!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Mother having dozette…Just wanted to pop back in – to say that I was reading an article in paper yesterday. Apparently many brands of olive oil come from olives which are harvested at night, basically with a big hoover. The decimation of small birds which are sleeping in the trees is apparently horrendous; they just get sucked into the hoover. The article said that two of the big supermarkets said their own brand olive oil used hand-picked olives, and at least for Italian oil I think, there is an acronym on the label (can’t remember what it is now) which indicates olives have been hand-picked (usually smaller brands). The one I usually get, anglicising it to Philip Berry, was quoted as not being able to confirm either way. Anyway, I am sure that if any one is interested, a search of olive oil/harvesting/small birds or such like will give more detail! I will be more attentive in future (and as I should be using olive oil less generously anyway, I will not mind paying more). I worry enough about the dairy and meat industry but thought olive oil would be quite benign…Getting peckish for supper (cauli and aubergine curry) so will go and give mother a prod in a mo.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

S-G, when I moved to Spain 8 years ago I took my children away from their grandparents. We did consider their feelings and how the kids would be affected but made our move anyway because that’s what was right for us. I know that the loss of regular contact has been difficult and hasn’t eased with passing of time and move to France. My mum tells me she finds she misses us more in the first few weeks after our departure. My in laws seem to find it hard to relate to the kids now their teens but that may have been the case had they seen them every week. My father in law is a grumpy B too!
    You’re not selfish in living the life that’s right for you and your grumpy old guy, no more than your daughter and her new bloke are for wanting to spend their holidays somewhere else. I honestly don’t think my kids would want to spend a fortnight with their grandparents even if they had spent the last eight years living around the corner. They don’t even want to be with me. They want to be with their friends a or failing that main lining social media. I didn’t spend much time with my grandma when I was a teen but renewed our closeness once I was a little older. What I’m trying to say is that even if you were right on their doorstep they would be busy with their own lives.
    I’m interested in what you say about the kids not being able to travel unaccompanied till their 16. My eldest are 13and 15 and have been backwards and forwards to Spain, as have their friends. It sounds like I need to investigate.

on

Thanks everyone, I know I will be alright. Hubby is only grumpy because they treat the house like a hotel, leaving lights on, towels on the floor, shoes everywhere. I keep quiet and put up with it but in the end the washing of the dishes under a running tap before putting them in the dishwasher started to grate on me. We all have our little ways. We have chatted and decided that this is where we want to be and, until we are forced to leave, either by the political situation or ill health (or death). We have a wonderful life and long may it continue.
    Skipping, this was a new law brought in by the French last year – but the boys dont want to be here with grumpy grandad anyway. If I look at it from another angle, they hate spending time with the other set of grandparents because they are soooo booooooring…

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g glad you have had ‘the chat’. I’m so glad you have both made a decision between you ….. sounds like the right one to me! Best of luck …. keep on keeping on …….

Please log in or register to post a reply.