ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning JANUARY 15, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Gangreneheart. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with you mood. I know that is a struggle. I hope the fasting helps you. I hope you can get out and get some sun today. I plan to. I had an indoors day yesterday and I’m feeling itchy to get out of the house but it’s SO cold!

Feel better!

Max.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Wooduckie. Thanks for the info. Very interesting but heartening. I now plan to make it a WOL! Thanks.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Allie. Thank you for the warm welcome! Wow, I’m impressed – 140 pounds. It blows my mind. Congratulations!
    I hail from the great state of Georgia (Atlanta area) and we’ve had lots of rain and now it’s in the 20’s which is painful for us Southerners. LOL It’s going to reach a balmy 40s today so I hope to bundle up and get a long walk in. I need it. I was totally INERT yesterday.
    I’m so glad I have the support of this group. It means a lot.
    Thank you all for the welcome. I hope I haven’t missed anyone but it’s a little hard to follow all of the responses. 🙂
    Max.

• posted by alliecat
    on

HaHaa, Max! 20-40F just seems seasonal to me…I’m facing zero farenheit today, and what with the wind chill factor,
    that equates to -22F! Cabin fever features in my life at the moment too! I’m worried about that cookie jar, Max…Can
    you donate it to a food pantry, or lock it in the trunk of your car? The first 2 weeks are always the hardest, because
    the delusions and rationalizations of carb addiction keep whispering nonsense in our ears. Resist! I know it requires
    a leap of faith to believe that the day does come when these things no longer have any appeal, bit it does
    truly happen, and the sooner you banish them completely, the faster that you get there. It’s like being released
    from a self imposed jail. I know it can be overwhelming to try and learn the names/histories of all that frequent
    this thread, but it’s a lively and informative place to be. One of us sets up a new weekly thread by end of day on mon.,
    so hop on over to the new thread tomorrow. You will find all of the “usual suspects” there 🙂

V., are you feeling up to hosting us going forward? You know that I’m happy to do it, and I’m certain that Wendy
    feels the same way. Continued recovery and progress! I’m just so happy to see you out of the hospital and posting
    again 🙂

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone ! Some really good advice for newbies and reminders for us all.
    Special thoughts for Amz ( GHeart…I can’t bring myself to say the other word ) Today is Blue Monday , a notoriously difficult day when it may be hard to find positives . January is not an easy month for lots of people, especially when the euphoria of good intentions fades. Keep focusing on the benefits of this way of life Amz .There is research that low carb helps with depression ( I wll try to find where I read that) Above all remember that you are warmly supported on here. Noone judges and it’s ok to say you are struggling.

If you can, try not to turn to food for comfort because that’s all it is …just food.It isn’t endowed with any super powers to make you feel better (after a brief hit if it is sugar you fancy) . Keep nourishing yourself with healthy foods which will make you feel good.You will have the happy, healthy life you deserve so keep going and stay strong. You have lots of time to achieve your goals. Take it one day at a time. You are doing well to banish the ‘cloudy’ thoughts which shows your strength and determination.

We are all with you xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Allie I’m not sure the I want the baton back at all thank you. You and Wendy are doing such a good job it would be a shame to break the momentum.
    S-g pleased you are still doing well with another loss. Really looking forward to hearing about ‘superfoods’. I just don’t have a high enough level of concentration to start any new courses at the moment but enjoy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Max.I totally agree with Allie ( and she knows what she is talking about !)
    Bin/remove/chuck out !! any foods which do you no good whatsoever and by that I mean processed, refined sugars . The cravings will recede and believe us that cookies and other « carbage » will soon hold no appeal.

Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever .Who was it that termed sugar, ‘Pure white and deadly ?
    I think of sugar as TOXIC and no way would I want to put that junk in my body. It does not nourish me . SUGAR IS NOT A FRIEND !!
    I ‘m being bossy again 😉

What is harvati ??

• posted by wendleg
    on

V , of course we will again keep the seat warm for you as long as you want us to.

Allie can you set up another weekly Wallie thread tomorrow ?

Hopefully there won’t be another technical glitch 😉
    xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re not bossy, Wendy! Just clear in your beliefs, and100% committed to making this a lifestyle change forever
    forward. I join you in this place. “Everything in moderation” is an alien concept to us, and we’re not any good at it! 🙂
    It does indeed sound strange, but I managed to harness the all or nothing philosophy, and settled upon the “nothing”
    approach to carbs and sugar. It is always “think before you eat” now, and never underestimate the benefit of advance
    planning. It still astonishing to me that when I’m feeling “peckish” and open the refrigerator door and see nothing
    readily available but hard boiled eggs, I can quickly access if I”m really hungry, or something else may be going on.
    If I’m truly hungry, along with a growly stomache, that egg tastes really good to me. Other times, I simply close the
    refrigerator door and busy myself with some task that involves moving and using my hands. Visiting forum friends
    is always an excellent distraction, too! I’ll post the new thread, unless you would like to do it this week?

Wishing everyone a good weigh in tues. morning, or progress with the tape measure. Please travel along with
    us for another week!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Allie. I don’t know how you do it with those temps! Uggghhh. I’m a tenderfoot.
    LOL. Yes, that cookie jar is a worry. I’d give it away but my husband won’t let me. I’m not tempted though even when I was having my hard time. I could always crack but I really think I’m over the hump.
    Thanks for letting me know about the new thread. I’ll do that.
    See you there.
    Max

• posted by Maximin
    on

Yes, Wendy. I know you are correct. It’s pathetic really to hold those carb things dear. I’m breaking loose though. I’ve taken the first brave steps. I’d give the cookies away but my DH says he wants them so he can eat a few now and then. I’m just going to ignore them.
    I may have spelled it wrong but Havarti is a type of flavorful cheese. I just finished up my last meal of the day with a slice and some fresh strawberries and blackberries. Very nice! I have to change. It’s past time. I WILL change.

Thanks!
    Max

• posted by wendleg
    on

The French have numerous cheeses Max. Havarti sounds interesting. My O/H has a penchant for nasty smelling runny cheeses!!
    Changes will happen.You will surprise yourself one day by how easily you can say no to empty foods. I was amazed the other day when I saw 2 cupboards in our staffroom being re stocked with ….packets of biscuits, jam tarts , wafers of all sorts ….yuk !
    I was told almonds and other nuts are too expensive !!

er..what price good health ??

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry Max! I made the erroneous assumption that you were a gentleman! See you over on our new thread! Starts
    tomorrow 🙂

• posted by Mariet
    on

Reporting in for the end of this challenge, I have discarded .3kg, about half a pound, good for me and another step in the right direction. Thanks Wood Duckie for the reminder about terminology, you’re very right. This isn’t something I ever want to find again so no point calling it lost!

Too many to reply to individually but I do enjoy reading all your posts with my early morning coffee, it sets up my day and helps keep my resolve up.

Hearing about your cold weather seems so unreal to me, basking in summer here. I hope you have some clear days so you can at least enjoy the sunshine.

See you on the new thread, thank you to the Wallies for setting it up.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Wendy.
    Thanks! Ewww. Smelly runny cheese. Yuck!
    I know what you mean. Work is a terrible place for food. At my office they are always having people in for meetings and they cater food in. There’s always a ton of food leftover and it’s not healthy. And the snacks are the same as where you are. Terrible!

Max.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Oh, no worries, Allie. It’s a male sounding name. Short for Maxine. lol
    🙂

• posted by Marsie
    on

Already Tuesday again, how can that be? 62.6kg ,similar to the start of this week. So, maintaining not losing. Well, it will happen when I let it. I said focus. I didn’t but I will.
    Hope everyone is doing OK with their weigh-in for end of week.

• posted by Nee
    on

Hello Max, Mariett, Wendleg, Allie and everyone else that I have missed,

Love reading your posts get me thru the day.
    This is a very selfish post as I have only been on BSD for two weeks and do not have any tips or advice to impart.
    I have lost 20 lbs in two weeks. From reading the book I know it slows down but I should still be losing. I have been quite strict but I love limes. I Ihad 4 limes yesterday and it brought my carbs up from the usual 30 considerably. I looked everywhere for info and most says lime and lemons ok? Do you think I should avoid limes? I did lose 1/2 a pound but that could’ve been more had I not had limes?
    I can give them up.
    Nee

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Nee well done on your continued weight loss. A great result! I posted on this thread about how important the carbs are v the calories in this way of eating and limes are a perfect example. A 5cm fruit, which I guess is average has only 20 calories but a whopping 7g of carbs! Lemons have 17 and 5.4 g respectively. So to answer your question have an odd slice in water but not four whole ones!
    It is difficult, after years of brainwashing, to start concentrating on carbs but it will come with practice. Have you tried an app or computer program such as Fatsecret.co.uk / com, which is my preference, or Myfitnesspal. They are great for loggging all you eat/drink but are also very useful for looking up carbs etc before you eat something!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Nee, that is amazing! I worked out that means you’ve already lost 7% of your starting weight – in just 2 weeks! I posted yesterday on Kazzee’s Road Trip that I had lost 2lbs in week 2 (so 7.5 lbs to date), and some inches round back (bra much looser…). I also posted that I have had two days on which wine on one and then G&T on second day were consumed. The “bad day” excuse. Which is a pathetic one.

• posted by Nee
    on

Thank you Verano!
    And Sixturkeys well done! Also great that your back on! Forget those 2 days, no point in adding guilt. The guilt after the drink is me all over and it is not worth it. Your doing excellent!
    Nee

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done everyone !!

Don’t forget to move over to the new weekly Wallie thread
    One week at a time beginning January 22nd

See you there !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, not seeing many weigh in posts except for Nee, well done. I have now lost a total of 3.75lbs. Less than I wanted but still a loss with 6 more weeks to go.

Will see you with a clean slate on the new challenge.

• posted by Nee
    on

Hello sunshine-girl,
    Great to hear you lost!

👍

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Some brilliant results being posted – Nee, simply amazing and well done to SG and ST to – every loss is a loss to be celebrated! I have no idea where I am weight wise, as the battery in my scales gave up a few days ago and I’ve only felt well enough today to do anything about that. So, my weigh in will have to be tomorrow morning now. I’m not expecting a loss, but as long as I’m on or around target weight I’ll take it. Will report back tomorrow and move over to the new thread.

Best wishes to all for another good BSD week.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Just had to pop in, I like to see what else is going on! 🙂
    Wow, Nee! 20 lbs in 2 weeks? That’s quite remarkable, take a bow! Well done everyone on your losses this week!

• posted by Nee
    on

Thank you Kazzuk!
    But I’ve faltered, himself brought home a bottle of champagne-and I shared. Still under carbs and calories but it’s a pattern with me-kinda feel like sabotage but that might be the champagne talking. I’m back in tho-not giving in.
    Help Allie, Wendleg, Verano
    Nee

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

That’s strange, we seem to have two Nees on this thread. One who told me just a bit earlier not to beat myself up after I slipped up on the alcohol front, and another one who has just posted that she is doing exactly the same to herself. Fancy!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nee, 20lbs in 2 weeks is outstanding! I never ran at a monthly deficit of more than a stone a month, so really rather
    average, I think. You’ve succeeded at walking past the pub, but it’s harder when O/H brings the contraband into
    the house. We’ll have to come up with strategies for counteracting that! Have you shared with him your desire to
    leave the alcohol behind during this period of dedicated weight loss? I know you can do this 🙂 You will find much
    company here from those that were once in that place. Sadly, wine is a real impediment to consistent weight loss.
    There is no way around that reality, as much as we would like it to be otherwise! Just keep focusing on each new
    day..it will get easier. Imagine that glass as containing liquid sugar…You don’t need it! xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Nee you have great advice from Allie and a real insight from sixturkeys! It’s happened, past, gone, draw a line and move over to the new thread. New week new start.
    Does your OH know what you are trying to do. If not tell him. If you don’t want to, and I didn’t for ages, then ask him to only bring champagne home for a celebration or maybe the weekend if you want to keep sharing.
    As a point of interest the liver will process alcohol before anything else so if you have alcohol then fat burning is literally left on the back burner. I don’t know all the science but I’m sure somebody else will fill in the gaps in my knowledge.
    Keep your eyes on the prize!

• posted by Nee
    on

Thank you everyone,
    So nice to know people care!
    Sixturkeys love your reality check! Much needed, and very well executed!
    Nx

• posted by Nee
    on

And Verano, Allie,
    You are good people!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I have only recently posted once on Kazzee’s Road Trip in the last few days, and I know this thread has moved on to a new One Week at a time. But it would be great to see a post from Nee again, who had such a stonking start. Nee, it doesn’t matter if scales have gone up or down or nowhere, or if you’ve been propping up the bar since you last posted. I’ve also “failed” on that’ score, but two (or 3…) days with wine is better than 7, and because I am eating such lovely simple tasty fresh food, there has been some benefit – I can feel it in slimmer bits (even though I might prefer the slimmer bits to be focussed elsewhere, on the more obvious “problem areas”). But I am sure that will come, this is a huge re-education process for so many of us, in both conscious and unconscious habits, and it is such early days. So please do let us know how you are.

• posted by Nee
    on

Hi Sixturkeys,
    Thanks for checking up on me. I am on the straight n ‘ narrow. It was just that night and it was a blip. I didn’t weigh myself because I knew if I saw a gain I would be discouraged. Going to get on that scale tomorrow-and hopefully will have good news to share. Yes, your absolutely right about 2-3 days better than 7. It did take a lot of talking myself out of reaching for another bottle.
    I am determined, and it’s great to hear you’re feeling benefits of the fresh food. Keep it up, I’m in your corner! And thank you for reaching out that is so kind of you!
    Nee

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

well you’re obviously much stronger and self-disciplined than I am! Good for you! And do feel free to show me up in future, I need a good example to follow!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

I just saw and read about an incredible connection 🙂 A beautiful exchange between two people . . . one – (who voiced concerned and reached out) – to another – the other who responded with a progress report and a very positive attitude after some obvious hiccups and now on track. THATS what this forum does to – and for – people. And consideration for others shows them they are worthy of such concern and consideration. Think about how reaching out can be/is powerful to someone who is struggling with an issue they may not have even disclosed. (Duckie’s eyes have misted over with joy! Well done you two!!!) Thank you to the forum for making these exchanges and hand holding possible. Have a beautiful day everyone!

• posted by Nee
    on

Good morning Sixturkeys, Hello Woodduckie, and all fellow BSD’ers,

Happy to report 2lbs down this week despite the slip. Can’t thank you enough for the support.
    I hope to reach 10lbs by 8th Feb-I know slightly ambitious but as Michael says unrealistic is not a bad thing!
    How are you all doing? Would love to hear.
    Nee

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Nee that is great; that’s what, 22lbs or something down now? I’ll post on Kazzee’s Road Trip tomorrow with my official “discarded” numbers. And I will play a mental game of “hot potato” with you on the (unopened) wine front in the coming week. To you! No, back to you! Onwards all to the new us!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there all, great that Nee is back with us. The day I started this diet my daughter moved into her new house after massive problems and trauma (as house moving is). My husband put a bottle of champagne in the fridge for us to celebrate but I put my foot down and said I wasn’t ruining my diet on the first day for anyone. Makes me sound like an angel but I am not, it was just one instance of being able to be really strong and determined. Lots of slips since then and i’m sure there will be more in the future. We are human, we live in the real world and we also need to enjoy our lives. Just tell yourself it is not forever and plan for a special occasion, like my birthday next month and make it a special treat.

By the way, we are now of thread Jan 22nd if you want to move over.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

WTG sixturkeys 🙂 Youre well on your way and “DISCARDING” while on track with many others . . . all making our own CHOICES and discovering the secrets of a new “WAY of EATING” is so empowering . . . Congratulations 🙂 Love reading your posts xxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Thanks WoodDuckie! “Empowering” is indeed the word (tho there’s still some imbalance in power struggle with the Pinot – but I have the battalions on here to support me). I will move on to the next weekly thread when that is set up and stay on Kazzee’s Road Trip!

Please log in or register to post a reply.