ONE WEEK AT A TIME – Beginning 5th Feb 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kvictoriar
    on

So week done, with 2kg discarded and 3cm off waist. Very happy with that. I’ve been keeping my carbs low as using the carb manager app, which I’ve found very useful. It’s also great to have this forum, so thanks everyone for all the helpful posts.

• posted by Christianjorge
    on

Hey guys,

First post on a forum ever really. I started the fast 800 this week along with a challenge at F45, I want to know how detrimental my muscle loss is likely to be throughout the period? I am well aware I need to sustain my levels of protein but will sending my body into this state effect this?

On a side note: I feel great, my digestion is amazing, I feel lighter.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hey Onetowatch, great to see you again! Best wishes for this go round and also for your IVF journey.

• posted by wendleg
    on

AMZ !!! How are you doing ?
    I am still not losing hope that Electic will reappear
    ECLECTIC my BSD buddy, COME BACK !!

Have a grat day .Sending positive thoughts to everyone and I will check in again later

• posted by Inka13
    on

Great to see you sixturkeys and to hear of the loss of ones of those turkeys!! Definitely just a case of crossed wires and both you and Sunny have untangled them graciously! I look forward to hearing how the week goes.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Onetowatch good to ‘see’ you but sorry to hear about the IVF. I think 2018 was not the best of years for a few of us with complacency setting in BUT new year, new week, new day and we are all still here trying, which is much better than the alternative. Best of luck regaining control and getting back on track again.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi Everyone. I’m a bit late to this thread but I have started today and wanted to be part of a starting thread. It’s great reading all the posts with the struggles reassuring me that I am not alone and the successes being an inspiration.
    It’s my son’s 21st on Valentine’s Day (yes, that was a great day in hospital, lol) but I don’t want to delay the start as have already delayed it long enough. Also, I have been a single parent for 19 years and have lost confidence with meeting someone but I really do want to. I met someone recently who absolutely adored me and loved me the way I am but was supportive about my weight loss ambition. Unfortunately, due to age difference and distance, it didn’t last but we are still friends. So I want to lose weight for health reasons but also to get my confidence back as I feel more positive, confident and sexier and would love to meet someone without feeling insecure about my size.
    I’m going to Michael Mosley’s talk tonight.
    So here goes x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Inka – thank you; it would be great to hear how you are getting on. Also, the roasted broccoli and cheddar soup has gained a new fan! I cooked a batch yesterday and it is indeed very tasty and just the ticket on a cold, wet day.
    And
    Base to Nee, Base to Nee. Come in please. Over.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m delighted to ‘see’ so many old and new ‘faces’ joining us here on the weekly thread. Our aim is to support anyone and everyone on their BSD quest, so welcome to you all.
    Christian – I’m not an expert, but I believe as long as you have adequate protein and maintain your exercise levels, there shouldn’t be any issue regarding muscle lose. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be along to address your concerns.
    Thinking Thin – Well done on biting the bullet and going for it, even though the timing might not seem ideal. The truth is, there is never an ideal time to start out on the BSD, but you will soon learn that the BSD can be fitted into normal life and that celebrations can still happen without throwing us off course. I empathise with your wanting to do this not just for health, but for your emotional well being too, as I think many others will too. In a society that holds appearance in such high regard, it’s hard not to compare ourselves and feel we fall short and inevitably this impacts on our confidence and sense of self worth. You will see huge changes happening on the Fast 800 and we will be here to support you along the way.
    OnetoWatch – Even though you’d not planned to be back with us, a big welcome back – Big Hugs. You’ve been through the mill and are looking for a way forward and this is a good place to start. You know that you can make the BSD work for you, so set you face towards the goal and take it one step at a time.
    Wilson – welcome to you and your daughter and well done to both of you for getting week one under your belts. I can understand that the Fast 800 8wks can feel daunting, which is why we have the weekly thread to break that down into less daunting chunks. If you or your daughter really can’t face 8wks on the Fast 800 at a stretch, using the 5:2 is a valid option, but please do stay low carb throughout, otherwise your body won’t be able to stay in fat burning mode, which will hinder your progress. However by all means increase the calories on the five days, just watch out for those carbs sneaking up too high. You’ve both made a great start and we’ll be here to offer encouragement and support when needed.
    Kvictoriar – excellent result there, well done. Here’s to more great results from this week too.
    Inka – good to see you with us too, how are things going for you? Hope you will be posting more here soon.

This is proving to be a very lively week on the weekly thread. Maybe now that January is behind us, we are really getting to grips with the new year and are feeling we can now stride forward into it. We can all make huge progress as long as we can keep our focus and remain mindful of our BSD goals and what needs to be done to achieve them. Keep on keeping on everyone.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, everyone. Welcome new people! Wow, it’s great that we’re seeing more people here.
    Interesting YouTube video from Dr. Berg yesterday. If you’re following Keto or IF, check it out. It was about the different results of being on a Keto diet, or fasting and what they actually may mean for you. Example: keto flu = salt deficiency. But there are many more.
    The video is timely for me because he says that fatigue and cramps are Magnesium and or B1 deficiencies. I’m upping my magnesium intake starting today and adding nuts daily. It will be interesting to see if this cures my lack of energy in the evenings and working out.
    By the way, anyone who has bad leg cramps – I can tell you that so far that Theraworx is working. I haven’t had the cramps again but only time will tell if it truly is the fix.
    Since I upped my calories and carbs a bit, I haven’t really felt any more energetic so I’m hoping the increase in magnesium will do the trick. On Saturday (Friday is my hubby’s birthday so I want to celebrate a little with him with a keto friendly b’day cake!) I’m going back on 800 calories. I am STILL stalled weight wise.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for something mild that works for constipation. I use Yogi brand Smooth Move tea. It doesn’t give me cramps like some teas do. It does take a couple days to work though.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    Max.

• posted by Reducia
    on

Hope it’s OK to jump in here – I was on October Starters but see that a lot of the people that I ‘knew’ on there are here, along with a lot of others, on a lively and friendly forum full of good information and advice.
    In my first 8 weeks at the end of last year I lost 12 or 14 lbs – depending on whether I rely on the Doc’s scale or mine – either way – it was enough to take me to the very top of my prescribed BMI figure and kick me out of Pre-diabetes. Seemed good to me. Various post-Christmas/New Year things got my way in January. I have set out with renewed determination now, which I hope will last, and lost 2lb this week.
    I am now beset by advice from my Doc that feels very difficult. He wants me to lose a further stone but at 74yo I feel happy with my weight. I have started passing out fairly regularly – possibly a Vagus Nerve problem yet to be determined. My GP has said I should raise my carb consumption by a lot – ‘to keep my system full of food’. Does anyone know anything about his ‘theory’? I would be grateful for any info anyone has. I had actually put it down to electrolyte imbalance – which had been suggested on the October forum previously – and was paying attention to Sodium/Potassium/Magnesium – again any further info much appreciated.
    I notice somewhere here that someone was not really recommending Hummus because of the carbs – I have been eating hummus, which I love anyway, to up my carb levels a bit to approx 35g per day and staying with 800 cals most days. I’m also making green lentil and veggie mixes as a meal accompaniment or to add a poached egg to for a brunch-type meal. Am looking at white bean mixes of the same sort. I am back counting carbs/cals religiously and hoping to lose half of the recommended stone and keep my BSLs stable.
    I will be so happy to be included in this great forum. Apologies for the long post.
    Thanks to all Sonia X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Reducia/Sonia – good to have you with us. Sounds like you have done really well so far and 2lb down for last week is a nice result.
    I’m no expert, but I think your Doc’s thinking is of the ‘old school’ nature. It is proven that it is the fats and proteins that ‘keep the system full’ (although I don’t like the phrasing) and the carbs that spike the blood sugars and drive hunger. I would personally not raise the carb intake any higher than you have already, but do make sure to include good fats – oils, nuts, seeds etc. I’d certainly take another look at your electrolytes, as this could be an issue, especially if you are drinking lots and so flushing your system.
    Another stone discard is doable at any age, but if you feel this would be too much, I’d just see how you go on the planned 7lb and then you can re-evaluate and decide whether or not you want to go further. Meanwhile, we’re happy to have you as part of this merry band and hope you will be posting another good result next Tuesday.
    Max – thanks for sharing that interesting information. The magnesium/vit B1 is particularly interesting to me, so I’ll be investigating that further myself.

• posted by Reducia
    on

SunnyB – Thank you for both the welcome and the advice.
    OK ‘a stone DISCARD’ – had noticed you are all putting it like that but have yet to incorporate it in my vocab. Reminds me of a friend who says “I hate people saying they’ve ‘lose weight’ – what they don’t realise is that it flies around the stratosphere and attaches to ME! I’m the Lost Property Office.”
    You have said exactly what I thought – ‘old school’ advice from Doc (half my age I have to say). Will be experimenting with carb levels and adjusting them to suit, rather than ‘filling my system’ with them. Have a further check-up re my Diabetic status in March and don’t want to get back to where I was. Oils-nuts-seeds, thank you. A stone seems more than I want to lose cos I need fat to pad out my wrinkles – have seen people of this age discard lbs and end up looking haggard. Not what I personally wish – but we’ll see when I get down the 7lb. Glad to hear, also, that you think electrolyte levels are important – will pay attention to them.
    Reading your profile, I see that you have a long and distinguished time spent here – GREAT! Good luck with your maintenance plan. Thanks again – Sonia X

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Reducia! (AKA Sonia!) Sounds like you and I are a pair 🙂 Age and endeavours 🙂 March 2018 I had a dreadful panic-stations 12.9 HbA1c. Three months on I discovered BSD . . . June 24, 2018, I started my new journey and initially saw MASSIVE drops in my BSL’s within weeks. Then kilos began disappearing . . . resulting in (around) 12kgs being discarded . . . and my 3 monthly check on HbA1c in September reading 6.9!!! Skip to present, bloods have just been done for Endocrinologist return visit next week. (He has asked I exercise more and take another 10cms from my middle . . . Ive done my best thats all I can tell him because I have had plantar fasciitis which limits walking, and the resistance straps messed with my shoulders – but still . . . there is 3-4cms gone – and he will have to accept it is reducing even if not as quickly as he would like.) Please be assured . . while I will advise I now have “an odd shaped apron”, (below my bb but hasten to add . . . some of that is due to several svere internal surgeries many years ago which changed the lower abdomen structure) – BUT it is now lessening as attested to by my underwear. Initially my bingo wings drooped further . . . but as time has progressed they are taking up somewhat . . . and my face and neck have never looked better 🙂 I believe the good oils are “feeding” it . . . and I am always receiving compliments on my eyes being brighter and skin so clear. So please dont stress over looking haggard because I have had no such experience. Im not one to measure or weight things . pure “close as I can figure” guesstimates in my kitchen as I have better things to do with my newfound energy 🙂 Mostly two meals a day for me now . . . maybe an extra coffee and some nuts if necessary . . . and it seems my weight has evened itself out with little or no discernable discard for several weeks now . . . Considering I came into this purely to stay off BS meds which almost killed me – dropped the BSL’s, and am two stone lighter than when I started!!! where I’m at now is a GREAT place 🙂 And so long as my BSL stay stable, “they” will leave me alone – making life much easier !!! Hope this sharing is reassuring:) Quack Quack from Duckie xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The ‘Lost Property Office’ made me laugh, Sonia!

• posted by Reducia
    on

WOW! What a great place this is.
    Thank you Duckie (Quacking back to you) – couldn’t ask for better reassurance – in so many ways.
    I’m very lucky that walking is not a problem – unless I have one of my little passing out turns – (SO embarrassing) and I live right by the sea with a green square outside my window so can so easily do something enjoyable. YOU’ve obviously come a long way – again I was lucky I never got past Pre-diabetes – not a numbers person at all so can’t really tell you what I checked in – or out – at. Could look it up I guess. Thought I was doing OK until he started about the further tweaks – as you say, I just need to get to a place where ‘they’ will leave me alone.
    Your satisfaction with where you have got to will spur me on. I’m so pleased for you – and admiring. Need to drink more water and work on consuming good oils for a start. I also eat two meals a day – once I’ve got into this WOE hunger pangs just don’t happen and in any case I have never been a breakfast person. I drink a lot of coffee but am struggling with sweetening it. I don’t have a sweet tooth at all but a sweet side to my coffees is very satisfying. I started taking sweeteners but have read so much about their effect on the gut biome that I’ve stopped. I’m down to two teaspoons of honey over 4 coffees in a day and am counting the carbs onto the nutrition tracker that I use. I sometimes measure portions and cooking ingredients but certainly not always. I just try to be careful. As you say – better things to occupy myself with.
    Thanks to you I’ll stop worrying about ‘haggard’ – though won’t be losing that stone just to please my Doc. A gift from you to me XXX
    Many thanks for all your help and encouragement – very much appreciated. More Xs – Sonia

• posted by wendleg
    on

Wow, our weekly thread is buzzing ! So good to see people gravitating towards us and sharing their expériences.Welcome ! Sunny B has again done a wonderful job embracing any newcomers or returners . We can all help each other with our different challenges, whether it’s to manage (pre) diabètes , IVF ( aaw big hugs) and other health issues or to gain self esteem and confidence. Lots of interesting info being posted.
    You are in the right place and with determination and commitment we can all achieve our goals. There is an element of trial and error and a lot of adjusting to do but it IS worth it.
    Oooh haggard ….now there ‘s a thought 😉 When does that manifest itself I wonder ? I am 3 stone down and I don’ t think I look haggard !! Duckie doesn’t and Allie certainly doesn’t ! You have nothing to worry about Sonia. Keep smiling, that’s the best face lift/ wrinkle filler 😉

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello again! My coffee is my solace 🙂 I designed my own and then . . . found it on a website somewhere with a fancy name but here it 🙂 Aldi’s Americano Barista tin. That one is supposedly a mix of instant and ground beans and is definitely to my taste . . . not too bitter . . . I make it with 1/3 milk and 2/3 water . . . heated in the microwave. I add the coffee – (quantity to taste for your choice) – and it fizzes up nicely. Add a couple of drops of vanilla . . . stir in a dollop of cream and then sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. It is quite filling as well as a little thicker so more satisfying. (Someone here wrote once we have receptor in our brain which awakens to sweetness. SO . . . sweeteners MIGHT look better for us but they make our journey much more difficult . . seems we are constantly “teasing” and tempting ourselves if using them I suspect the honey will do the same 🙂 If you need “weaning!!!” from sweetness . . . I managed it with a small square of the 85% cocoa choc. It is dense, sharp and allowed 🙂 If you have a square or two of that with your coffee . . . the coffee tastes sweeter 🙂 The honey is a huge sweetener hit . . . and I doubt Id have the will to break that habit . . . I too need to drink more water . . . and am finding it easier to take it before bedtime . . . guzzling 1-2 glasses before turning in. (best I can do!) – But that has always been an issue for me – even prior to knowing about this WoE! Re oils, I have Feta – (buy the cubes in herb infused oil), avocado . . . butter in moderation and very occasionally now) – coconut oil in cooking . . . are a few of my go to’s. Hope this helps . . . Quack Quack xx

• posted by Reducia
    on

OK – wendleg – thank you, I’ll stop worrying about ‘haggard’ and plough on.
    Totally agree with you about SunnyB – this thread is great and from what you say a lot of that is down to her. Much appreciated.
    SunnyB – GREAT job – and if I made you smile then it’s the least you deserve. (Not my original remark though)
    Thanks to all – SoniaX

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Too kind, Sonia! Very generous of you to offer such praise, but in fact the original idea for a weekly thread was Verano’s and she started the first of these last year. When Verano decided she needed to take a break from the forum for awhile, a number of us decided to take turns in hosting the thread. Most recently Allie took the lead and wendleg has also taken a turn or two over the last couple of months and she is kindly supporting me as co-host this week as well.

So, this is thread is very much a joint effort and certainly not solely down to one person, as we all pool our knowledge and offer support wherever we can, as and when needed. I’m really pleased you are finding the thread so helpful and look forward to you becoming very much an integral part of our merry band.

• posted by Reducia
    on

WoodDuckie – thanks so much for the tips about coffee. I have tried with vanilla before but never in conjunction with cream or cinnamon. Will give it a go and see how I go. Would be very happy to find a way to change my coffee in a good way. I must be the only person in the world who just can’t get on with any kind of chocolate. However I already eat avocado several times a week and use Coconut oil in various ways. Hadn’t thought of Feta cubes in herby oil but will give them a go – a really good idea.
    SuunyB – thanks for putting me straight. Guess I’m too new here to start making assumptions. Certainly hope to play my part. The thing is that this whole forum gives me hope for a consistent way to get my weight and BSLs under control. So thanks to one and all.
    SoniaX

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Reducia! We’re all very happy to have you join us 🙂 This a very active and special thread. We all
    believe that is because we have a wonderful mix of experienced BSDers, as well as new recruits, and that
    keeps it fresh for one and all. It’s very true that this is a joint effort. Despite the fact that I’ve been in maintenance
    for 21 months, I learn something new each day from a community that I now acknowledge as friends. We do
    this together, wherever we happen to be on our personal journey. You have one waiting for you, and I look forward
    to sharing the adventure with you 🙂

Allie

• posted by Nee
    on

Hello everyone,

I have lost another 2 lbs this week. But it wasn’t easy as I had carbs in the amount of 3 glasses of wine!
    Sixturkeys or should I say five turkeys thinking about ya! -and looking out for your posts. Don’t worry about post(although, I have no idea what post)-it happens in text speak!
    Have a great weekend everyone! Stay relaxed motivated and healthy!
    Totally get the bras fitting looser that is me all over!
    Nee

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi Everyone,
    Just thought I’d check in, I’ve probably missed loads as don’t seem to have time to keep up! So I went to the GP and although my HB1AC is above diabetic range, she said if I can get it down using the BSD (she was v supportive) then I won’t yet be ‘diabetic’ on my records as you have to have 2 consecutive tests…..this is obviously good news for holiday insurance 🤣 But on a more serious note, although I did eat too many carbs and am overweight I believe my type 2 is driven by stress and my persistently elevated cortisol levels. Sadly there is no magic wand to help with this, as we have carers in the house 24/7 and I have to be available to provide medical decisions at all times. My question is will this unavoidable stress usurp my efforts? I do my best to counteract its effects by walking the dog etc. (me time).
    Anyway I think I’m doing pretty well so far 3.8 kgs since Monday and my fasting sugars are down 2 points already 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

While I haven’t been posting much over the festive period and January, I have been reading the forum posts most days. – It strikes me that each time we have an influx of newcomers there is a round of similar questions being asked. – I did think about setting up a number of word processed files that I could just cut and paste to reply to the questions that crop up repeatedly, but maybe there is a better way. – There isn’t the facility on the forum to set up files and just suggest that people go to the file on that topic which contains all the links. But maybe we could set up threads to serve the same purpose? What do people think, and what topics do you think we need to cover?
    1. Formulas for target macros and recommendations for apps.
    2. Body composition is more important to measure than focusing on the scales.
    3. Expected rates of weight loss.
    4. Whoosh effect.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Nee, another solid discard for you, that is great news! And I know re wine….It is good to hear from you. And ditto good wishes to all for the w/end. JGwen. a handy-dandy guide to 1 and 2 of your list would be of huge help for me, and on 2, people’s experience of changes in the short and then longer term in nature of “excess coverage” – my tummy “blubber” is very much softer and squidgier. Quite amusing for about 30 seconds to jiggle it about, but I hope that with continued discards a “leaner” look will emerge…..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Nee – good to see you still here and still discarding, even with the wine.
    Shellbob – great that you have the support of your Doc and that you have the chance to pull back from the brink. I think you are already proving that the BSD works even with your stress levels, as that is a brilliant discard in just four days – not only that, but you are also seeing positive movement downward on you BSLs too. Try your best to get a few minutes here and there for yourself when you can, as even a few minutes a day spend in quiet meditation can make a difference and your dog walking can be used as just that.
    I understand what you mean JGwen, about answering the same questions and queries, but in doing this, are we not A) reminding ourselves of what we need to be doing too and B) genuinely interacting with the enquirer, rather than just pointing them to another page?
    I’m having an up and down week, where little to no progress seems to be happening. Frustrating, but not a disaster. In view of the stuttering progress and given that the last two evenings, OH has been called out to emergency jobs (and this is a man who is supposedly semi retired!) I have taken the decision to make us a special meal this evening – including wine and chocolate fondant and possibly a cocktail too. Then I will get back to the full on 800/2 from tomorrow and really knuckle down again.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Nee – good to see you still here and still discarding, even with the wine.
    Shellbob – great that you have the support of your Doc and that you have the chance to pull back from the brink. I think you are already proving that the BSD works even with your stress levels, as that is a brilliant discard in just four days – not only that, but you are also seeing positive movement downward on you BSLs too. Try your best to get a few minutes here and there for yourself when you can, as even a few minutes a day spend in quiet meditation can make a difference and your dog walking can be used as just that.
    I understand what you mean JGwen, about answering the same questions and queries, but in doing this, are we not A) reminding ourselves of what we need to be doing too and B) genuinely interacting with the enquirer, rather than just pointing them to another page?
    I’m having an up and down week, where little to no progress seems to be happening. Frustrating, but not a disaster. In view of the stuttering progress and given that the last two evenings, OH has been called out to emergency jobs (and this is a man who is supposedly semi retired!) I have taken the decision to make us a special meal this evening – including wine and chocolate fondant and possibly a cocktail too. I’m fasting for the rest of today and will get back to the full on 800/2 from tomorrow and really knuckle down again.
    Have a good w/e everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB I think you are far too hard on yourself. You’ve maintained successfully for so long now and even had wriggle room on and off. We all have to live our lives or what on earth is it all about! I think you should enjoy the odd evening of mindful eating including a few additional ‘treats’, although I know lots of people don’t like that word. After all you aren’t planning an all out binge with buttered toast spread thickly with jam followed by fish and chips with bread and butter and a stodgy pudding! Just enjoy!
    I think that’s a great idea for reference pages JGwen but I have to agree with Sunny that interaction with others is often as important as, if not more important, than the actual answer to the question. I know I certainly benefitted, and still do, in knowing there’s somebody out there who has been through the same and overcome, who gets down but lifts themselves back up and all the other scenarios. We each need our own level of ‘involvement ‘ with the forums so it’s good to have lots of options.
    While I’m here justwant to say this week is progressing nicely for me. Just one point about exercise. I see people asking about not being able to exercise and wondering if they can still lose weight. I’m sure Allie said she did in the early stages and maybe until she was only a stone away from target. Being mobility challenged I’ve never managed any great degree of exercise but still managed to lose. Even now, almost bed bound, I’m still losing. I’m not advocating giving up exercise but it’s possible to lose anyway.
    Hope everyone is having a good week and enjoy the weekend.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks Verano, you’re very kind. I’m going do my best to keep a handle on things this evening and be mindful with what I eat and drink. I know what you mean about the word ‘treats’, it’s one I prefer to avoid too given how we approach food these days, but on the flip side, I also don’t like the awful negativity that ‘sins’ or the like invokes either.
    I guess we just need to think of food as fuel and accept that some of it is nourishing and some of it not, but that we can choose to eat a LITTLE of the un-nourishing stuff OCCASIONALLY without completely messing things up and there’s no need to beat ourselves up for making that choice.
    Really pleased you are still progressing well and that the scales are giving the results you want, even given you current limitations. Keep going V.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I totally agree V. I have just returned from a very joyous lunch time reunion with retired colleagues ( I will soon be a fully fledged member !) I very much enjoyed my fish soup, Norwegian cod with a small portion of risotto and yes, chocolate fondant. It is very much a rare occasion and I am definitely not going to scoff buttered toast or fish and chips as a result of one very mindful enjoyable meal.

SunnyB , as V says you are well into maintenance and you are very reactive and committed . I hope I will be able to maintain as succesfully as you and Allie do…when that time comes. Enjoy your special meal with your hubby !

Glad you are having a good Week, V. Well done on this week’s progress Nee and Shellbob

Have a great weekend everyone .
    Amz : are you Ok ? Let us know how you are doing

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Another week with no weight loss but it doesn’t worry me. My BG is regularly below 100 or 5.5 on the other scale and I have reduced my insulin by 6 units since Christmas. That is always my main concern. Wendleg, like me you are in France so you will appreciate the lunch I had a la restaurant today – yesterday was my birthday but I was too busy to go out and celebrate. For starter I had soft boiled egg poaches in a red wine jus with spinach and lardons, so it was like an egg floating in soup, zero carbs, then I had a beautiful piece of steak served with braised endive, roasted carrot and pureed celeriac, total carbs around 5, then there was the dessert which was carrot cake (a thin sliver as the base) with pureed apple and pineapple and an orange sorbet, probably plenty of carbs if I had eaten it. So, besides the bread on the table which I didn’t have, there was not much I couldn’t eat. The french dont really go in for things like rice, pasta or potatoes with their meals so I was able to enjoy guilt free.

I have decided to come back next week all fresh and new with 9 week to my next holiday so I will see you all on the next round.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hello. I’m okay. I’ve been hanging around the fringes of this week’s thread, reading all the posts but not participating. I was in a very negative mindset at the beginning of the week and I didn’t want to contaminate everyone’s good vibes. I’m feeling better now though. I am 163.2, so still chasing down the elusive 159. But I will share some news that made me want to squeal like a school girl – for the first time since I don’t know when, but definitely at least 7/8 years, I was able to fit comfortablely into a size 12 pair of jeans. I bought them at a thrift store as a sort of goal and I was surprised that when I tried them on at home, I was already the right size. That made me really happy as I was a very large 16/almost size 18 when I started. It made things finally click on my brain that this is working and I’m discarding this heavy weight. People have also been commenting on the difference so that gives me a boost of confidence too.

I’m glad everyone is doing well and continuing onward.I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s progress reports.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to hear your Week ended on a high Amz . That must have felt so good to fit into those tiny jeans !! Well done you !

You are doing brilliantly and it definitely is a massive confidence boost when people start noticing.

It’s ok to post when you are feeling a bit negative. We are always here to offer a helping hand and if we can lift your mood then that’ s great. I hope my ‘bloomers ‘ mishap made you smile !!!

Hope you have a good weekend, Amz xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi sixturkeys! Isn’t it a great soup?! I’m glad you mentioned it, I haven’t made it in a little while so might put it on the menu for this week..
    I’m doing well, have been on the bsd since 2016 but do sometimes disappear into the ‘badlands’ and have to dig myself out and restart but even so I’ve managed to reverse my insulin resistance so am pretty happy with the way things are going. Your 5 kg loss is great and you must be feeling super motivated! It’s weird about the quinoa and wild rice though I think our bodies, once free of the carbs, feel a bit poisoned if they suddenly have to deal with them again. I know if I slip up and eat something similar my joints really start to ache and I can barely use my left elbow for example. That was one of the biggest eye-openers for me about the effect of this WOE!
    Hope you have a great weekend!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Shellbob44:) Wow a great result on bloods and discard 🙂 Be very reassured by those figures 🙂 SO PLEASED for you yur doc is on board and supportive. What an asset to your endeavours 🙂 Suggestions and my perspective on your question of stress . . . while it may SLOW things . . . in your individual case it isnt STOPPING them . . . that is obvious by results 🙂 Love the idea of the dual aspect walk . . . also do you have crafts or past-times which can be set up/picked up or put down without too much impact on the results? (i.e.: jigsaw puzzles, chess, scrabble. crocheting as opposed to knitting, or embroidery . . .) I do Words with Friends on FB . . . doesnt take long but I get lost in the challenges – play my turns in maybe 15 minutes while I have breakfast/brunch/coffee then move on to whatever calls for attention 🙂 Maybe get some earphones, or earpiece for an MP3 (is that the little music gadget?) – and have it in your “head” as a distraction for a time each day. Even when cooking vacuuming cleaning it is YOUR time . . . YOUR choice of entertainment . . . and music speaks to our souls . . . (proven through our response to likes and dislikes of genre!) Maybe once a week set aside an hour for YOUR time in the bathroom. Light candles, add oils and bubbles to the warm nurturing water . . . turn off the lights, and either add your music or simply relish the private silence. After all . . . as Jane Fonda says . . .”you’re worth it!!!” And you are 🙂
    Hope these ideas are helpful if only opening up windows of possible diversions of your liking 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Welcome and well done you ThinkingThin!! Confidence builder indeed and many other reasons to change our WoE) Way of Eating!!! Health is a GREAT reason! The healthier we can be the better life can be . . . and after all . .. we usually get the Best fuel and the Best OIL and Best wax and polish – (well if not the best the best we can afford!!!) – for our car – to prolong its time so why not ourselves!!! And with so many of us here to attest to exactly what we can do for ourselves . . .? Proof it works!!! Look forward to riding with you one week at a time 🙂 and elsewhere. No losses here – simply “discards”. No “trying here” . . . simply “Doing”. Goal setting is allowed . . . though when setting them . . . consider your own personal reaction if they are not reached. Some find it easier to ignore the scales and be surprised one day a week . . . rather than the stress of ups and owns hour by hour or day by day which is normal fluctuation. Some gauge progress by NSV’s (non-scale victories!) (i.e.: centimetres which have silently abandoned bellies and thighs, arms and breasts . .( if we have them!!) – these are seen with sizing in clothing quietly heralding success. And sometimes there is good belly laugh shared here which get the endorphines off and running for the day . . . like the Fanny’s bloomers references, pyjama pants and slacks falling down, kilos lighter, though still sleeping in the same oversize t-shirt, turning and getting twisted up in while sleeping and waking like in a straight-jacket!! . . . or mismatched socks abandoned by the washing machine sock monster which now are being used with love in wellingtons . . . cos no one knows of their mismatched illicit affair 🙂 Weddings, employment, holidays, moving house all manner and means of sharing helps the tapestry to work 🙂 Ready? Set! GO!!! Quack Quack xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey G/Heart/Amz – so pleased about the jeans and congratulations on others noticing your progress, that’s a real boost to confidence and motivation. Some how others noticing, validates what we are doing – I know it was a great motivator for me. You have made huge progress to get to where you are and I’m confident you’ll soon be reporting in at 159! Keep right on doing what your doing.
    Inka – Glad you have been doing well and I think we all have little forays into ‘the badlands’, but you have shown great resilience in finding your way back. Great that you have reversed your insulin resistance. I believe eating this way really helps us to ‘listen’ to our bodies and learn what not to feed it. Much as I enjoy drinking alcohol, I’m learning that my body no longer wants or tolerates it in the way it used to. More and more I’m questioning why I drink at all – still working on that one.
    SG – just goes to show that eating out can be very manageable on the BSD way of eating. Your lunch sounds great and a very happy birthday to you. Looking forward to having you with us from next week, for the count down to your holiday – where are you heading off to?
    Our special meal last night was really enjoyable – white negroni cocktail, followed by escargot in a creamy roquefort sauce, then oven baked trout fillet with chirizo crumb served with baby sweetcorn, green beans and asparagus, finished off with chocolate fondant and double cream – oh and a couple of glasses of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Was a good way to start the w/e, especially as OH has been working long hours this last week.
    Hope everyone is having a good w/e.

on

Hi WoodDuckie, thank you for your welcome and advice. Ive been reading them but not managed to respond to them. Great honesty here and it’s nice to know that there is encouragement to share the low moments as well as high points as everyone needs an uplift occasionally. Love the humour as the stories literally make me laugh out loud and can really relate to being the lost property of all those discarded pounds 😂 Apologies for not knowing who wrote that. I’ve got through two days. I have taken all my crafts out, I do, cross stitch, crochet, knitting, papercutting and am learning how to make my own designs for papercutting. Am also learning calligraphy from YouTube tutorials. Trying to keep my hand and mind busy and away from food as much as I can so I can break bad habits.
    Have a great weekend everyone xxx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Thinking Thin,
    Did you mention you were going to see MM the other night – I wondered how it went. I’m booked to go see him later this month.
    Jennie
    Btw, I really like the idea of learning calligraphy. I worked with a man who did calligraphy. Whenever he wrote you a note, whatever it said, you’d keep it!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, all.
    Well, still residing in the plateau state. On the up side, I did have a bit of a “feed” day yesterday as planned for my hubby’s birthday. I had keto friendly birthday cake that I made myself. It was a big hit but caloric and even though keto friendly, in the serving size I had, pretty high overall carbs. Plus, I allowed myself a big glass of milk (I’d been craving it and it was so good!) AND I had some oven fries. I didn’t have the nerve to count calories yesterday. Just let myself be free. Still, I had no sugar, no wheat flour so I count that as a small victory.
    Weight result this morning was surprising. I only had a .5 pound increase in my weight. So, quite a relief. My blood sugar, however, saw the biggest jump – fasting was 91 and I’d been running in the 70’s. So there you have it.
    Hubby is still talking about what a good birthday lunch he had and he loves the cake. It was worth it!
    As stated in an earlier post, I am going back to 800 c’s starting today. The only change is going to be an attempt at keeping my carbs less than 10 a day. I settled on this after seeing a video from Dr. Berg where he says if you are in menopause and not losing weight on keto, eat fewer than 10 grams of carbs. Will keep you guys updated.
    I believe in a post I saw earlier there was someone wanting to know how to keep your mind busy. I can recommend buying a set of color pencils and an adult coloring book. I do that in the evening sometimes and it is really relaxing and makes the time pass. If you’re looking for sleep aids, I love my white noise machine. I can dial up gentle rain, or crickets, or fan noise and it really helps focus the mind and give a comfortable sleep.
    Have a great Saturday, everyone! A big welcome to the new posters!
    Max.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Max,
    I’m intrigued by your white noise machine. I have trouble sleeping sometimes. I love the idea of listening to rain or crickets. Are they expensive? and can I ask where you got it from?
    Jennie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Crikey Max, 10 g carbs is a tiny, tiny amount ?? Have you thought about trying a fasting day to get your weight discard moving again if you really think you are at a plateau ? I am most definitely menopausal ..have been for about 10 years and fasting works for me.

Like Jennie I am intrigued by your white noise machine. O/H has his sleep apnea machine, so I could have mine on the other side 😉

Hope everyone is having a great weekend xx

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Jennie and Wendy.
    Yes, Wendy, 10 is very low. May not be doable. I have done full fasts before and just don’t have it in me to do any at this time. But it’s a great idea. If I feel I have the where-with-all to do it, I’ll give a try again.

Yes, I love my noise machine and no, it’s not expensive. I got mine on Amazon. Be careful not to get a cheaper one. This one is tried and true. Mine is the square one.

This is the link. If you can get it that way. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y69RHH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Otherwise, here’s the full description: AVANTEK White Noise Sound Machine for Sleeping, 20 Non-Looping Soothing Sounds with High Quality Speaker & Memory Function, 30 Levels of Volume and 7 Timer Settings
    by AVANTEK

Max.

on

Hi Jennie10, yes I did go and see MM. It wasn’t quite what I expected but was interesting. You find out a lot about MM. My sister in law went with me as she was interested in finding out more about Fast 800, TRE, 5:2 etc. Naturally he isn’t going to go into great detail (have to buy the books obviously) but it’s definately got her to think about things. She will be watching me in the mean time to see how I get on. I’m still glad I went. Let us know what you think of it too xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good morning ThinkingThin! Glad to add to your day 🙂 Crafts are SO helpful in so many ways 🙂 Good to hear – (and I can relate to) – you having such a variety from which to chose as the mood takes 🙂 No “TRYING” to keep mind and body busy please. 🙂 Simply DOING it takes left effort! 🙂 and looks to me like you have that already underway 🙂 Do so relate to the beauty calligraphy. Still hold onto my pens, nibs etc., from days gone by . . . no wonder I need/thankfully have a small room dedicated to all my “STUFF” for crafts 🙂 even then it isnt big enough to house my yarns which abide in the guest room wardrobe 🙂 Embrace and enjoy today to its fullest 🙂

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Thinking Thin – hmm, I’m caring for my much older sister-in-law at the moment and I think its fair to say having her watching me on this woe is a bit of a challenge! still makes for some funny conversations. Genuinely though, it’s great that your sister-in-law is interested. No pressure on you, then! Thanks for the info on the MM show – I’ll definitely let you know what I think.xx

Hi Max – hurrah, found it on amazon.co.uk and it’s in my basket as we speak – really looking forward to using it, thanks. xx

Edited: Good night WoodDuckie xx

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Jennie.
    Great! I’m so glad you found it. Let me know what you think, but I’m sure you’ll love it.
    Max.

on

Hi WoodDuckie, I have the same problem with space for all my craft things. I am determined not to buy any more wool until I have finished all the projects I have started, lol. I have been very active today, didn’t have a nap as I would have done. I had a facial, then came home and had a late breakfast and then started a major clear out which will continue into Sunday. I also designed a card for my sons 21st. A good day.
    Jennie, my sister in law and I both have struggled with our weight and have done various diets together. We were very successful on SW but years later it just wasn’t working for us. We now know why. She is doing WW while I do this. We are very supportive of each other as, at the end of day, we just have to find something that works and fits in with our lives. However, with all the trials that MM talked about and the actual health benefits of this WOE, she is keeping an open mind. I’ll just have to show her 😁 x

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks SunnyB! I struggle with the question of wine too. It is my bsd downfall and leads to mindless carb choices and an unhappy body!! I’m trying hard to cut back though and at least save it for weekends 😬 we’ll see.
    I loved the sound of your dinner, how delicious, my favourite bit was the dancing though!

Please log in or register to post a reply.