ONE WEEK AT A TIME – Beginning 5th Feb 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Whilst our friend Allie is taking a rest from hosting the weekly thread, myself and wendleg will be co-hosting the weekly thread for awhile. We will do our best to make sure everyone feels welcome here and offer advice and support if required. Most of all though, we hope to be able to celebrate your successes during our time together, whether they are scales related, tape related or just being able to say no to that glass of wine or sneaky cookie.

I’ll be back here tomorrow to report on where I am after my end of week weigh-in and offer up a plan for my week ahead. Hope to see everyone from the existing weekly thread joining us for another week and also hoping to welcome lots of new ‘faces’ too.

• posted by Kvictoriar
    on

Hello SunnyB,
    I’m a new face who is 5 days in. I’m pre diabetic (based on insulin blood test), but fasting blood sugars are high end of “normal”. I’ve struggled with my weight for years and have never been able to stick to anything.. my downfall is potato chips (which are so high in carbs). I also like wine, but will stay off the booze for the 8 weeks. My one week weigh in will be Thursday morning. Fingers crossed!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Welcome Kvictoriar enjoy your journey.
    Thank you for setting up the new week. My aims for this week are to keep logging and aiming to stay below 35g of carbs a day. I think I have to take this slowly and spend a few weeks getting back down to 30 g a day rather than trying to go cold turkey. My second aim is to improve my water consumption which really shouldn’t be too difficult but seems quite illusive at the moment. Must try harder!
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi, it’s my 2nd week on 800, and I jumped in without any previous experience of going low carb, so last week was illuminating. Tough too, so thanks to all of you lovely people who supported me, and gave me lots of good ideas.

My weight has dropped from 93.6 to 91.5kg. Visceral fat 9.6 to 9.4, body fat as a percentage of total body weight 45 to 41.

My goal this week is to keep the breakfast carb to a minimum, and reducing the total daily average from 80. I downloaded a few menus from dietdoctor and SueBlue has given me some great breakfast recipes in the last week’s thread, so I’m prepared.

• posted by skittle
    on

Hi everyone, newbie also, 3rd post!
    3 weeks into an initial 8 week journey (full on fast 800, low carb/no booze etc), then taking a brief break for my birthday dinner and will likely continue on the fast 800 until goal weight.
    Week 3 discard = 2.5kg. So far in 3 weeks I have lost 19 pounds or 8.6kg. That is such a staggering amount to me, written down – I can’t believe it! I’ve never managed that before, ever. Unfortunately as I am very tall it’s not showing much yet, maybe just a tiny bit off my waist, but I am keeping the faith. (At least that’s all the baby weight gone, now I’m just back at my pre-baby still-too-big weight!) With this big tummy there must be plenty of visceral fat that MUST go for better health.
    I’m so pleased as there were some very stressful life moments last week and I nearly lost my resolve, a slice of hot buttered toast or glass of red wine looked soooo good!
    However – this is the kind of moment where my demons always sabotage everything. I look at my target – still got 3 stone to go – and it feels so impossibly huge (as does my tummy which I am afraid to say is not all due to the baby!!), and they say why not give up now you’ll never be able to do it, you’ll never be that happy healthy person, might as well just stop and save yourself the effort and upset, after all you’ve been unhappy with your body for 25 years, that’s not going to change now. Gah. Bugger off, you lot. MUST focus on what has been achieved so far. This is such a vulnerable moment and they’re so strong, those pesky demons. :-/
    I am keeping carbs super low, well under 20 and that is working well for me. Realising I can put a tiny bit of cream in my chai tea has been transformative! 🙂 Am also amazed at how much home made roasted vegetables you can have for relatively few calories/carbs.
    Also if you like rhubarb and custard then ASDA’s own brand herbal tea in this flavour is DELICIOUS and really gets me through the day. Teeny tiny bit of carbs though (incredibly) so do add it up.
    Goal for this week apart from continue the good rate of discard is to carry on staying in moderate ketosis and DRINK MORE WATER. With all the baby and animal hectic-ness it keeps getting missed.
    Good luck everybody! xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Huge welcome to new ‘faces’ and old as we start out on a brand new BSD week.
    Kvictoriar – great that you have identified your stumbling blocks and have something of an action plan in place. Please just shout out if you have any questions or find yourself struggling and someone will be sure to offer assistance. Fingers crossed that your weigh-in gives you the result you hope for and please be sure to let us know how that goes.
    Verano – so good to see you are upbeat and planning for a full on BSD week.
    Patricia – good to see you still with us and powering on. Pleased to see positive results for your efforts so far and that you have a definite plan for your next BSD week.
    Skittle – brilliant results so far! Well done on staying strong and sticking with it, even though life has been giving you a tough time. Try not to think in such huge chunks and maybe use the weekly thread to set yourself mini goals, as they won’t feel so impossible and daunting and achieving them will help to keep you motivated. Think we are all familiar of those pesky demons, but you absolutely can achieve your goals and are already proving just that. Good to see you have a plan for this week and I’m sure with a little effort that hydration can be improve.
    For myself, the plan is to throw in at least one whole day fast and to weigh, measure and record everything consumed. I have ten weeks to build in some real wriggle room, but not resting on my laurels with a ‘do it tomorrow’ mindset.
    Wishing everyone a trouble free week of good BSD eating and great results waiting at the end and meanwhile, I’m looking forward to walking in the right direction with you all on this thread ….

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Here we are on another weekly thread.January is behind us, Spring is coming !!
    Sunny B talks so much sense and has done a magnificent job of embracing all the members who have found their way to us . Looking forward to more stimulating and supportive exchanges whatever stage you are at.

I will be slotting in some fasting periods again this Week and trying not to chomp on too many nuts.I am quite good at convincing myself that nuts are healthy and so ok … I have 3 weeks to go before the school holidays . I would like to be 80 kg by then so about 1.5 kg to go.

Keep going everyone. We can stay focused to challenge the demons . Cravings do ease, hunger is not something to fear, we can manage it !

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

It is Week 5 for me.
    Felt the end of Week 4 went so slowly and I was preoccupied by thoughts of cheese and onion crisps and chicken wings. Anyhow I kept to the regime. I have lost 8 kg and am down to 72 kg. Im aiming to get into the healthy BMI zone and in so doing reverse my pre-diabetic blood test. I am on the boundary of being diagnosed as Type 2.
    I have booked a short break in Morocco in early March. Thinking my goal by then is to get down to 68 – another 4 kg loss which I hope is achievable. And then afterwards decide whether to continue on 800 Fast or maybe do it as 5:2. Im not sure what to decide….
    SunnyB Thank you for starting the thread – much appreciated.
    Kvictoriar – good to have you join – I am relatively new to this although the five weeks now feel like a lifetime! This forum is a mine of great tips, encouragement etc
    Patricia – welcome as well. I find the recipes in teh Blood Sugar diet book really good.
    Wendleg – I too have the nut = healthy fantasy. everythign in moderation!
    Skittle you have my admiration focusing on weight loss and looking after your baby. Well done on the results!
    Verano – Good luck with your goals!

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Skittle – Just read your thread properly and I completely know that feeling of those targets being so off putting and too daunting that you feel there is no point. I dont know if this will help at all but I have found that changing the way I measure the weight loss from stones and pounds to kilograms is easier. If I think about the big boundaries of moving from one stone to another – it makes me feel as if I will fail – moving down from 13 – 12 – 11 – 10 etc is so much more fraught with negative feelings. I associate it with dress sizes and that is also quite negative.
    Something about the neutral kilograms and only thinking in those terms seems to be less daunting for me. Less personal and more mechanical. I am doing this to get into a healthier set of numbers. Ones that mean I wont develop Type2.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi 8weeks – excellent results and I’m sure you can make great strides before your break in Morocco in March. Whereabouts are you going? We visited Marrakech for a mini break last month and had a wonderful time. There’s time yet for you to make a decision on whether to stick with the 800 or swap to 5:2 later, right now say focused on the 800 and getting to where you want to be.

It sounds like you have formulated a strategy by working in kg, so that you don’t feel as daunted and if that works for you, it’s a great way forward. I’m so used to st/lb that to work in kg would feel meaningless to me, but if you’ve found something that works for you, hang on to it and keep right on going. Those 4kg should be doable in your time frame, so keep on keeping on!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all and thanks Wendleg and SunnyB for hosting the thread. I will try to join you once this flu has run its course……

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wishing you a speedy recovery caronl – be kind to yourself and come back to us when you can.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, caronl , hope you are feeling better soon. Loads of teachers and pupils off with the flu here in SW France. It doesn’t help that we have had a lot of rain. Spring is on its way ! I hope you can manage to find easy to prepare nourishing food.

• posted by Carbshark
    on

Hello all,
    This is technically my week 2 but I am renaming it an orientation week where I started really well and then undid my hard work with increasing gusto towards the end.
    It is frustrating but I know this works and I am taking the learning points forward.
    Wine is not my friend.
    One slice of bread never stays as one slice.
    Plan every meal in advance.
    Well done to those who made this week count. It has been really helpful to read along although I have not been posting. I hope to be able to post with a better result next week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Carbshark
    You are right….this will work but the harsh reality is that it means totally giving up the processed foods and carbs otherwise it will be difficult to get those cravings under control. You could perhaps set yorself a weekly goal to give up bread and see how you feel.I’m betting it will be totally liberating.As time goes on you will see the cravings diminish.

You can do it ! Try logging and tracking all your foods in a special notebook ?

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi all, happy to see so many gathering for another week.
    I’m aiming to just keep plugging away and build on my (slow) progress. I’m back at work now and it really gets in my way! My DIL is really struggling with her new baby, lots of pain with breastfeeding but she desperately wants to keep going. I wish so much I could help her some way. I’m treading a fine line between being a supportive but non interfering MIL and my instincts as a midwife. Biting my tongue several times! Not that she doesn’t have a wonderful midwife of her own and I know she has excellent care. Oh well, these things work out in the end and it won’t seem so life shattering in a few weeks, however it plays out. So hard to live through though.
    I said goodbye to more than half a kilo last week and it would be nice to do the same this week. Unusual for me but nice 😀

• posted by Kvictoriar
    on

Hi and thanks for the welcome everyone. I had a bit of a slip up yesterday.. still under 800, but had some carby things I know I should stay away from. Posting this so that I don’t let it derail me! I’m worried I will have ramped up the cravings again… I’m going to fast a bit longer this morning I think. Wendleg, what fasting periods do you do?

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

I’m another one who thinks nuts=healthy lol. Although I’ve just discovered dry roasted. I’ve always been a salted peanuts person and couldn’t see by them. Until I discovered dry roasted has much less carbs! And contrary to what I thought they are tasty after all. I’m sitting here with a big bag and trying so hard to limit them and leave some for work tomorrow.
    I’m meeting up with friends on Friday night that I haven’t seen for a few months. So my goal this week is to discard a few more pounds before Friday and fit into a slimming outfit in the hope that they might notice I’ve lost weight. ☺️

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi Everyone,
    Story so far; I put extreme tiredness and mental fogginess/memory issues down to our v difficult circumstances (long-term ongoing 24/7 care of our adult daughter at home with care staff in our home at all times). I have a history of inflammatory arthritis so went for regular review to discover high BP and bloods in diabetic range (I appear to have bypassed pre-diabetes completely). I do not wish to be on lifelong medication at 44 so have decided to give this a go. I will be following the suggested 8 week meal plan in the book as I have no mental space left for meal planning!
    I started on Mon 4th with a 48″ waist and weight of 97 kgs. I’m of average fitness and exercise regularly but have been unable to lose weight for several years (although haven’t tried low carb). After reading the book it all makes perfect sense…..so here goes 😊

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Im sorry to say I had a gain of
    1. 5kg last week.I was very busy with the preparations for Chinese New Year. My hubby is chinese and I always prepare a spotless clean house to get rid of “old luck”.then shopping for new bed linen and towels, and new clothes usually underwear and pyjamas.I bought one new top on sale before christmas but it doesnt fit now.My back is still sore and my wrist arthritis also giving me trouble.so I ate rubbish to get energy , its an old habit .Im not going to waste any energy on being negative, a bit of effort and I will be on the path to discarding.Starting today with missing breakfast and measuring.recording everything.target 1kg per week.I remember some one posted “WE are responsible for what WE put in our mouth”.Im not sure who it was but I will use this for motivation this week . Best wishes for a great week.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Well said and thank SunnyB! 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Congratulations Butterlover for seeing SO MANY signposts doing their best to derail your efforts 🙂 Happy New Year! And looking forward to reading of your future successes which we all achieve through using the tools to our indiviual advantages 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Shellbob44! Sounds like you have a few more pressures to deal with than many . . . and I trust you find solace sharing yur journey with the friendly crowd already on the road . . . as well as those just joining 🙂 Together we can do this 🙂 Im decades older than you . . . and once had more aches and pains than hours in a day. 7 months down the BSD track . . . I have halved my HbA1c – from 12.9 to 6.9 – (and that happened in just 3 months!!!) – am moving so much more freely than I have in YEARS . . . and – (in sharing info with many here!) – CHOOSE NOT TO “compare” my results . . . simply ACCEPT my body’s bonus gift – and am well pleased with, the discard of 22kgs!!! Have also said goodbye to ongoing sinus issues – (long ago suggested/accepted as due to location of my home!!!) – foggy heads, flagging energy levels – and have a new ease on life. Understand this isnt a quick fix . . . persay 🙂 It is a change for a better way of eating – and living! – and the crowd here will attest to that. We are also here to support – ease and share your ups and downs with empathy and joy . . . so please stay in touch 🙂 Welcome to your new way of life!

• posted by MamieP
    on

Good going peoples,
    My third week in and I’ve started to struggle. I want to eat ALL the carbs!
    At the end of week two, I weighed in at 99.4kg – a total loss of 7.5kg, nothing to sneeze at.
    I’m not complaining, and I didn’t expect to maintain a weekly 5kg loss. I think I have just realised just how much further I have to go…

My Goals for the week are as follows;
    #DON’T EAT THE CARBS
    #MOVE MORE (taking the boy to a new nursery and back adds 40 minutes of walking to my day)
    #DRINK MORE WATER

Skittle, well done! I hope I have made as much impact by the end of week three
    Patricia1066 – I jumped on the wagon the weekend I bought new scales and realised I had ballooned almost up to my heaviest, no prep “Tomorrow I start the blood sugar diet” I ate cake and started the following day.
    Kvictoriar – Well done! You started, it’s always a good step. I am a carb-junkie, too. thinly sliced courgette and olive oil spray, baked/toasted, are a nice substitute (does it sound weird that I use them in place of tortilla chips for nachos?)

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Carbshark,
    I struggled with cutting out the carbs when I started back in October 2017. I had a few spectacular somersaults off the waggon in the first few weeks. But even as a lurker on the forum in those days the helping hands I saw being offered to others also inspired me to dust myself off and climb back on. —– As someone who has been in your shoes I can promise you that by keeping the carb monster in its packet, there will come a time where you realise you feel better on the days when you don’t eat carbs.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Reading all the challenges , it’s not easy to think of ourselves when others need our attention but it really is important to focus on our health so we can do the best we can as carers, parents etc. We owe it to ourselves first and foremost.
    The successes really do speak for themselves on the forum but it does demand determination.Think of those carbs as MONSTERS, they are not friends, sugar is TOXIC…You can beat the cravings Carbshark, MamieP, Butterlover. You are dealing with a lot of stress Shellbob. Take care, stay with us , you have made the right decision to take charge of your health.
    Mariet…I understand what you are saying about your DIL. I can imagine it is difficult to find a balance between advising ( and you are very well placed !) and ‘interfering’ I am sure your DIl is feeling fragile and you will be able to give her gentle praise.You sound a very warm, caring person. Well done on the weight discard too !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Kvictoriar…
    About fasting. I started off very early on doing 24 h ..ie no breakfast or lunch and just one evening meal. That suited me as I am out of the house all day so no temptations and I happily work through my lunch hour and hunger is not an issue. My research told me that it is not advisable to do OMAD too often as the body gets used to it and adapts to the perceived restriction. So Wednesday I have lunch and dinner and weekends are often brunch and dinner.
    I have recently been experimenting with longer, extended fasts . For example I would eat dinner on Sunday and then not again until Tuesday afternoon. Or last meal Wednesday evening and fast until Friday lunchtime. I think it’s 36 to 44 hours.
    I am not sure I could discard weight consistently without fasting being part of my week but I actually enjoy feeling liberated and’ in charge ‘ Hunger is nothing to fear and the benefits of fasting are well documented.More later as I have to start work now . Have agreat day everyone

• posted by Kvictoriar
    on

Thank you for your help! Mamie – I like the sound of the corgettes instead of crisps/chips. Will try tomorrow. Just crave salt and crunch!

Wendleg, that’s really interesting re the fasting, thank you. I’ve read a bit by Dr Fung, and it v much makes sense to me. Think I will try 24hr a few times a week in week 2. Week 1 over tomorrow, weigh in will be interesting as I’m generally very slow to lose. Will measure waist also.

It is hard to do this for oneself when other halves and children are involved. Well done everyone!

• posted by Film24
    on

Hi team.
    Just finished my first week, lost 3.9 lbs, i’m pretty happy with that considering i fell off the wagon on the weekend. Trying to keep my self motivated and remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, so if i make a few mistakes that’s fine!
    Big issue for me is i am injured at the moment, which makes exercising impossible! hopefully just sticking to the 800 will help with the weightloss, even without the exercise.
    Good luck for the week – i look forward to reading all the inspirational stories 🙂

• posted by MamieP
    on

Hey Kvictoriar,
    I know what you mean about children and respective other halves. I have found that we try to eat as similarly as possible, substituting things like cauli-rice, cauli & leek mash, courgetti, roasted veg, for the things I make for my hubby and son. I can make ingredient changes to our usual meals to reduce carbs (not making sauces with a flour roux etc.), and I use a small cereal bowl or side plate instead of my previous past bowl or dinner plate.
    I can’t try to change my hubs and son to this way of life because they are both tall and slender and have super fast metabolisms (yes, I hate them at times).
    I’ve found it quite helpful to look at the keto recipe ideas. and adjust as necessary to fit my calorie allowance.

• posted by skittle
    on

A big thank you to everyone for being so warm and welcoming, it’s inspiring hearing all the stories.

8weeks – thanks for the kilos tip, I flip between kilos and pounds so will try it. SunnyB – VERY good point about breaking it down into smaller chunks – I hereby make my goal for this week to lose another 2kg. Done.

Re doing this with a baby – some days I do wonder why I am making life more difficult for myself! But you know, “if not now when” and all that. There’ll always be a reason not to do something challenging – I have certainly always found reasons every other time before! It’s actually easier in one way because I am running around looking after her all the time, and other family/household members, it’s so easy for hours to slip by and not eat so fasting is easier. And she is part of my motivation – I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this is the first time I have ever got any weight off. Longer term I want to minimise health issues, I want to be around for her for as long as I can, hopefully into a fit old age! And shorter term I just can’t go on hating every photo of myself and have my feelings spoil precious moments – I don’t want to be standing at her first birthday party worrying about how I’m going to look in the pictures, I’ve spent far too long doing that – I want to be focusing on her and us having fun. (Wendleg I’m not breastfeeding, you’re very sweet to say be kind to yourself – I tried hard but it didn’t work out for various reasons – if it had I’d still be lavishing myself with full cream porridge with honey and all the lovely things you are recommended to eat, ha!)

Also the baby is the miraculous and magical end of a very long hard road that included IVF and a lot of struggle and loss and this WOE is about me reclaiming my body from all that – no longer having to be a vessel or a poked-about lab rat, but MY body, feeling good inside and out.

Sending a big hug to Shellbob – caring for someone at home is so incredibly tough – all the best to you.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m here too, after an up and down week when the 800 cals a day were sometimes exceeded and turned into a 5/2! However I still managed to lose half a pound!!
    We are going down to see our daughter this weekend but will try to control the calories and restrict the demon booze.
    Have a good week everyone
    X B

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Aww thanks everyone, its lovely to feel so welcome. Much like Skittle I feel this is very much about reclaiming Me! And trying to find some time to look after Me 💗
    I feel OK so far and appear to have list 2kgs since Monday….don’t know if I believe it though!
    I have a weird side effect though…since I started I’m struggling to sleep, both get to and stay asleep, this is very unusual as I’m normally so exhausted I sleep like a log. Has anyone else experienced this?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So pleased to see so many determined and enthusiastic posts from both new and old ‘faces’. Whether rewarded with a discard from last week’s efforts or we saw a blip upwards on the scales, we all know the answer is to just keep going – counting the calories, watching out for both obvious and hidden carbs and staying hydrated.

Very heartened by all those saying they are doing this for themselves, as it is by far the best driving force, with any other motivators being secondary. We all deserve to be the best version of ourselves we can be and to feel good in our own skins.
    wendleg – thanks for the advice regarding the use of fasting and OMAD eating pattern and for reminding us, if we are to care for others we absolutely need to care for ourselves as well.
    skittle – your comment about photos, really resonated with me – so often in the past the camera has been way too honest for my liking, but it took me a long time to find the right way to fix that problem, other than hiding whenever possible. Thrilled to say I’m not as camera shy now and that will be you too.
    Film24 – this will work exercise or no exercise, so just keep going. As you fitness increases you can add in some light exercise, but don’t worry about it for now. You are so right about this being a complete life style change and not a quick fix. We all need to understand that there is no going back to old eating habits, as to do so will simply return us to square one.
    MamiP – that is a very sensible approach to catering for yourself and the rest of the family. There’s no sense in trying to cook multiple meals, when simple tweaks can be made to adapt one meal to fit everyone.

Great to see everyone seems to have a plan for this week and are sharing their struggles and triumphs. Together we will prevail!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Everyone. Welcome new people!
    I’m disappointed to report that I have apparently reached a plateau. My weight hasn’t budged for almost a week. It’s okay. I will just keep on. Since I’ve reached a plateau, I figured I might as well go ahead and raise my calories and carbs to the level I will be on until I reach my goal. I’m going to 1,100 (plus exercise calories earned) but no more than 1,350.00 calories and 50 grams of carbs or no more than 20% carbs.
    @shellbob44, welcome! I too and my husband have experienced this revved up feeling at night and early morning which can be quite uncomfortable. From what I understand that’s pretty common in Intermittent Fasting and keto. It should pass.
    Have a great week, all.
    Max.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Maxi! It’s really not considered a plateau until a stall continues past 2 weeks, and the way to break it is
    re-examine your macros ratio Perhaps I’ve missed one of your posts, but I’m unclear as to why you want to up
    your calories and carbs. What you are describing is a healthy Med. diet, but not the Fast800. We are all different,
    though. I’ve been in maintenance for a long time, and what you have proposed is what I might do in maintenance.
    Adding extra calories for exercise is more or less considered “old science”, and is based on the calories in,
    calories out theory that has been debunked. The type of calories is the important bit 🙂 Let us know how you
    get on!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Max – what week are you in at the moment? Stalls are very common around weeks 3/4 and is due to the body adjusting to full on fat burning mode. As long as you keep the carbs down, things should start moving in the right direction again. Also, keep a weather eye on hydration, as this is important too.

Allie is right, I would have equated that level of calories with maintenance too, so maybe consider dropping them back a bit as well. If you find checking/lowering the carbs but keeping the calories at the level you mention, sees positive results on the scales, all well and good though.

Hope you’ll be reporting positive things again soon.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi SunnyB. Thanks for the response. Actually, this is about my 4th week. But, the thing is that I have been eating around 700 to 800 calories until yesterday so it’s not the increase in calories because I was plateauing as of a few days ago.

@allie – yes, I know what you mean, however, I don’t feel that I can maintain that low level of calories. It’s just dragging me down. I need to be able to workout hard and in the evenings I have no energy. I may end up having to drop back down to 800 but I’m going to give this a try for a bit and see what happens. My blood sugar numbers are now consistently excellent so that’s not an issue.
    We’ll see if the scale moves, or goes in the wrong direction. I’m keeping my carbs low so this should help. At least that’s my theory. I’m also doing IF.
    Will keep updating. Thanks!
    Max.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As I said Max, it would seem your body has been in a state of adjustment whilst settling into fat burning mode. See how you go with the higher calories while keeping the carbs low, it might work fine and see the scales moving downwards again. I’ve certainly heard of people doing very well just keeping a check on their carb intake and not worry so much about the calories.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is a very interesting discussion we’re having here, Maxi! If I’m reading you correctl y, you
    really enjoy working out hard, and don’t have the energy for it….I hope that when you drop your
    carbs and your body switches to fat burning mode, you will have the same surge in energy that we’ve
    all experienced. It feels fantastic! What we all share here is anecdotal, so Sunny and I both hope
    that you will report back on how you are doing 🙂 Best to you!

Allie

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I did feel a bit battered by recent exchange but I hope that can be firmly filed under “crossed wires”. I really did not intend to offend anyone; and I am sorry I obviously did through clumsy wording. I am a keen convert to this way of eating. 5 kgs down in the month since I started. As before, the weight is mainly moving from back/shoulders. I definitely need new bras, current ones are definitely not in line for any awards in best supporting role category. I also wondered if anyone has had this experience: on Friday for supper I decided to add some mixed quinoa/wild rice to my supper; abt 100g. I had real night sweats and next morning felt as if I had the most dreadful hangover/dizziness – literally almost tripping over the dog and taking the stairs carefully coming down. Very odd. I hope Nee will post an update soon. I suppose I should be “fiveturkeys” now.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi fiveturkeys! Good to see you posting again I’m sure wires do get crossed now and again but that’s the nature of these forums and its best to just move on, but not from this WOE!
    It’s funny how weight disappears. I also find that my losses start from face downwards. I know exactly what you mean about bras! I must admit I don’t eat quinoa of other grains so can’t answer you about night sweats. Could there be another cause? Maybe sonebody else can help you with this one.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello sixturkeys – so please you have decided to travel along with us for another week and I know everyone will be content to draw a line under the misunderstanding and move on. Those are brilliant results so far and I like the idea of counting off ‘turkeys’!
    Re the body’s reaction to increased carbs, haven’t had night sweats, but have had bloating and dreadful discomfort and that hung over feeling in the past. It’s surprising how the body reacts when it’s become accustomed to not running on carbs anymore.
    I’m quite envious of the fat discard from back and shoulders, for me the back – specifically under the shoulder blades – is the area that’s hung on to the ‘lard’. Think I just have to make peace with the fact it’s here to stay.
    Have a good BSD week and we’ll look forward hearing how you progress.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Film24, I’m sorry that I missed your earlier question about exercise. Just sorry that you are injured!
    Don’t allow that to deter you, however 🙂 I was able to lose 140+lbs over 10 months, and couldn’t
    do any exercise for 9 of the 10 months. In month 10 I walked (very briskly) a minimum of 5 miles/day ,
    and it made absolutely no difference to my monthly loss of a stone a month! It really is carb levels
    that fuel success, not exercise. Best 🙂

Allie

• posted by Maximin
    on

Thanks SunnyB and Allie.
    Yes, I do enjoy heavy workouts, including heavy weight training, and I’m training for an upcoming hike so it’s a real determent to me to feel so sluggish. I understand that this usually passes after a few weeks once your body shifts, but I don’t think I can wait that long. That said, keeping it low carb (I hope) will still keep me losing and enable my body to make the shift anyway. We’ll see!
    Thanks for all the great advice and support!

Max.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Much admiration and respect from me, Max! I’m not a gym bunny 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Max, just a shout out from another person who loves a hard workout — I am a little different in that I DO recommend a little more food on big workout days — but, keep the amount small and eat protein and fat only — that really worked for me and kept me energetic (I’m in maintenance). I still eat a bit more on workout days.
    Figure out what works best for your body. Everyone is different!

• posted by Wilson182
    on

Hey folks. Another newbie here. I am a pom living in kiwiland so it is summer here. My daughter and I have just started the fast 800 and this week 2. My daughter has more to lose than me but so far she has lost 3.4kg and she is thrilled. I am hoping that this will keep her motivated. She can’t manage 8 weeks on 800 so we have agreed to try 2 weeks 800 and two weeks 5:2 then back to two weeks 800. I don’t want to make it too hard for her so she wants to give up. I was successful on the original 5:2 a couple of years ago but my weight has started to slowly creep back up. One observation that I have with eating less carbs is I can’t believe how much energy I have. It’s really noticable, I didn’t realise just how lethargic I was feeling. Has anyone else felt this?

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hello all and especially to alliecat ,sunny, verano – so nice to see some familiar tags and hear some familiar fast 800 voices of reason.

Confession. Update. So i lost 2 stone on 9 week mission on fast 800 in summer 2017.

And put it all back on plus some last year.

Harrumph.

The three IVF’s didnt work – we are still no further on that journey. but are exploring next steps.

So I need to find it in me o humbly begin again.

Any support welcome and hello everyone!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Also Skittle – just read your post. Would love to chat more. x

Please log in or register to post a reply.