ONE WEEK AT A TIME – BEGINNING 12th FEB 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Here we go folks … another brand new week to make count. Whatever happened last week is consigned to history and we have a new start right here, right now.

Last week wendleg and I had the pleasure of welcoming lots of newcomers to the thread and I sincerely hope that they and all our well established BSDer’s – as well as other new ‘faces’ – will be joining us for the new weekly thread. We will be doing our best to offer advice, support and encouragement and look forward to being part of another lively weekly thread this week.

I’ll be posting my end of week results tomorrow and my plan for the week and hope to be reading of your’s too, so please do come along and let us know how you are doing and your plans going forward.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi from one sunny to another. Counting this as week one. Have got my birthday over and done with and I WILL be back on track. Only 9 weeks to my next holiday and a couple of dresses to get into – one I have never worn yet and it has been in my wardrobe for 3 years. Although I have the original book (8 week BDS) my daughter bought me the new 800 for my birthday along with a copy for herself. So, here I go again, keeping on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to have you with us on the weekly thread SG. We too have nine weeks to our next trip away, so I’m trying to – no, correction ‘I AM going to’ – build some wriggle room. How much do you think you need to discard to get into that special dress SG?
    Haven’t read the new book yet, so might do that myself too, as I got the Kindle version a week or so ago. Maybe reading that will help to get me properly focused on the task at hand.

on

Unfortunately Sunny I think I need to lose a good 10kg for the dress to fit. Hoping for 5kg on this round. Good news for me is my BG is always steady and I am still on reduced meds.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Its a huge win having stablised your BG and being on reduced meds, SG and well done on persisting and planning to get back to discarding kg again. 5kg in nine weeks should hopefully be attainable and make you feel much trimmer for your holiday – where are you going by the way? I know you’ll eventually get into that dress, even if it takes a bit longer.

• posted by Amziel
    on

I’m excited to begin my second go with this woe. My first try was last summer and it worked well, but I want to engage a more long term outlook this time.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi All , I’ll post my 1st week results tomorrow too but only started on Thursday. This week will see celebrations but I will stick to at it all other times. Looking forward to all the posts this week x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for setting up the new weekly thread Sunny ! Yes, looking forward to seeing lots of helpful , supportive contributions as always.
    It is sometimes difficult to get into the right ‘mindset’ but I am convinced that this is the way to succeed. Changing our attitude to food, accepting that we are suffering a form of addiction to sugar and carbs and that we can be strong enough to overcome them , secure in the knowledge that the cravings WILL cease…..this is liberating !

I feel anger that sugar has been insiduously added to all sorts of (low cal ??) foods to keep us ‘hooked’ and I don’t want to be controlled any more. Food is for nourishment , it hasn’t got superpowers ( I have said this before I know !!) to make us happy . We can make the right choices for our long term health.

Would it be helpful to keep this in mind when the sugar carb monsters come calling ?

• posted by Verano
    on

Snap! Only 9 weeks to our next trip as well, all things being equal. So I’ll be here for the new week too. I don’t really have a weight goal, just to discard as much as I can! I do have two pairs of trousers still with labels on so maybe they should be my goal. They just about fitted last year when I bought them but then I started skiing off piste and we all know where that leads! Anyway, not too far away from my December 2017 target weight, maybe 9ish pounds, probably doable in nine weeks. But for the moment just one week at a time …… thanks for the new thread SunnyB.

• posted by nifer1922
    on

I am Week1 D6 and finally am feeling “normal” again! I wasn’t quite sure what to expect with weight loss but am happy with 4.5lbs. My sugar levels are slowly going down (yay!) and am having less digestive issues which is wonderful. I had colon cancer almost 10 years ago and know it is common to have digestive issues so I always attributed everything to that, but I haven’t had any problems since D1. I was beginning to wonder if I had a gluten sensitivity and now I am convinced of it. No breads, etc and now no “issues’. I am thrilled.
    Have a great week everyone!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see so much activity on the new weekly thread already and a huge welcome to everyone who has found their way here.
    Amziel, good to have you with us. As wendleg said in her post, mindset is so important and it can be quite a challenge to turn around the way we think about food and bed it in for the long term, but you’re in the right place for support and encouragement, so I;m sure you’ll get there.
    Think Thin – Looking forward to reading you results tomorrow and I’m sure they will surprise you, even though you won;t have had a full week.
    wendleg – thank you for your wise words on sugar and food in general. It’s just the sort of thing we all need reminding of, whether we are new to the BSD or have been around for awhile. Glad to be sharing the hosting with you again this week – thank you.
    Verano – from the sound of our progress, you will be making that trip away, stay positive. Fitting into the ‘new’ trousers as your goal for the nine week run-up, seems like an excellent plan. As you say, one week at a time …. we CAN DO this … onward and downward!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

nifer – great result! So pleased that you are identifying benefits other than the pounds discarded. Wonderful that your digestive system is responding well to the new regime and that you BS level are on the decline. You’ve made an excellent start and we’ll look forward to your week two results.

on

Sunny you ask where am I going on my holiday. Another cruise. this time around the Baltic so stopping at Hamburg Germany, Copenhagen Denmark, Stockholm Sweden, Tallinn Estonia, St Petersburg Russia – booked for the ballet – Keil Germany and finally Skagen in Denmark. Phew tired just thinking about it.

• posted by Kvictoriar
    on

Hello all,
    Half way through week 2 for me and I have to say I found the weekend challenging. I did consume more calories, but managed to stay low carb, so I will take that as a win! 14 weeks until our holiday, and i really want to feel comfortable in my skin. I love reading everyone’s posts each day, as they pull me back into this WOE. Thank you

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

I’m excited to post tomorrow weight, and I’m also going to update my measurements. Today had been a good week as far as staying on plan. I want to try to be more active on the thread next week too.

Also, hello Amziel. I’m Amz, lol.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just a quick morning Hello to wish everyone a great day whatever challenges you are facing. Glad you have had a good week Amz, and all the very best for this one too !
    Keep focused lovely people.Nothing comes without effort and commitment and YOU ARE SO WORTH IT 😉

I will be back later. xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning ! Well just one pound down this week but then I didn’t make my goal ….. to drink more water and stay at 35g or less of carbs a day. So a repeat for this week and hopefully more success. I had puy lentils one day last week and they really pushed up my carb count but today is a new day, it’s a new week and I will try harder this week to meet my goals. Just got a bit complacent and sloppy last week.
    Have a good week.

• posted by Littlesis
    on

Hi all – well done everyone! I’m so impressed at the commitment and positivity that I am reading here. I am supporting my brother on this diet who is type 2 diabetic and very overweight. He has really tried hard to commit and got stuck in with exercise building slowly following the guidelines in the book, and massively improving his step count from virtually sedentary to 4,000 a day. He swears he didn’t cheat – all his meals are being prepared for him currently (lucky man) but although we saw a very pleasing 2 inch loss of the big belly, it was a disappointing 2lb loss in the first week. It’s really hard when you are are reading about 7, 10, or even 19lb in a week to see a 2lb loss. I’ve tried to be really positive and stress that a 2lb loss is better than none or a gain, but am surprised and concerned. What have we done wrong? He seems to be doing everything he is supposed to…? Any advice? thanks peeps.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi everyone,
    It was a very good week for my discard and keeping to my immediate goal.
    2nd week on the 800, started at 93.6kg on 29th jan, today is 89.0kg. Discard 4.6kg
    Waist measurements, started 101cm, today 95cm.
    My family is over the moon that I’m addressing my health problems, though the prediabetes issue is only known to some of them.
    My objectives
    The priority is to keep insulin low, second is to improve my health especially reducing waistline, third is to stay active.
    My goal last week was to improve the breakfast macro, and I managed to keep to 27% carb (was 38%) by halving porridge portion on days when I really fancied it. Blood sugar response was much better, stable at under 5 even at peak.
    This week my goal is to add eggs to the mix, as my protein level was averaging 61g per day, and I fear I will lose muscle, if I continue at this level. My minimum protein intake is either 80g or 93g depending on the multiplier. I would need to eat 360g ham to get 80g protein. Or 3 large eggs, (19g) and 260g ham.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Littlesis. You are doing a great job supporting your brother. Firstly we all lose at different rates there is no linear pattern. I think the biggest difference between this way of eating and other plans is that the carbohydrates take centre stage. I would suggest that you find an app or computer program such as Fatsecret or Myfitnesspal amongst others. If you are in the UK Fatsecret is a good one. Weigh all the food your brother eats for the next week and log everything, food and drink , on the app. You might be surprised at how many carbs some otherwise ‘ healthy’ foods contain. For example an average apple can contain 19g of carbs. Although MM doesn’t give a specific figure for carbs most people need to stay under 50g a day. It’s quite possible to be low calorie but still high carb. It’s the carbs that cause the blood sugar spikes.
    It does take a while to get used to the Low Carb Healthy Fat way of eating. It’s a learning curve but your brother will get there.

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Morning.
    I am on Week 6 on Fast800. After a sluggish week 5, I am still losing weight, even if at a slower pace. Thanks to you all for explaining to me this was normal and encouraging me to stick with it. Weighed myself this morning and I am 9 kgs down now. Lost a kg last week.
    I have a lot of travelling coming up in the weeks ahead. The challenge will be to keep on track despite the distractions and lack of choice over what I eat. Tiredness and airport food and clients with plates of croissants will assail me. it is just as well I have embarked on this process – as my referral to the diabetes prevention unit seems to have got lost in the NHS ether. Meant to hear from them within a fortnight – it has been over 6 weeks. I really hope to see them in the next month and for them to take a new blood test and wonder why I have been referred!! If I had waited for their appointment I would no doubt be more overweight and properly tipped into Type 2. So much for prevention programmes!

Littlesis – everyone is so different in terms of how much they lose each week. Sometimes it can feel discouraging – but he will succeed if he sticks to this. Important thing for me was recognising that not every calorie is equal. And particularly carbs are bad news.

Verano. A pound is a pound lost – which is great. Well done.

Thank you for running this thread – and I hope all of you have a great week.

• posted by Littlesis
    on

thank you Verano and 8weeksof800 – very helpful.
    good luck all!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

A disappointing 1lb discard for me. And no discernible NSV. I must start precise weighing/logging. Though on the plus side, heaven knows what I might be at now if I had continued to consume as I used to over the last few weeks. I have not seen a post from Woodduckie in the last cple of days. I think you had a med appointment yesterday? Pom pom practice troupe need our routine/choreography for this week. And Nee? Hope all have a good week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Verano – that’s one pound you don’t need to worry about again, so keep going.
    Littlesis – it can feel frustrating when we’ve put in lots of effort, to have a result that doesn’t seem commencerate. Verano has given except advice and hopefully your brother will see something more heartening at the end of the coming week. Don’t give up.
    G/heart – looking forward to your results.
    Sorry, I know I’ve missed some people, but I pop back to welcome them soon and post my current position. Keep going folks ….

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Patricia – brilliant results! You seem to have a solid plan for the coming week and I’m sure you’ll be posting good news at the end of this week too.
    8weeks – things might have slowed, but they’re still going the right way. Keep reminding yourself why you’re doing this, to help keep the food temptations at bay during your travel.
    Turkeys – that’s still a step in the right direction so not to be sniffed at. It seems you and I both need to get serious about recording what we’re consuming, so let’s make that our target for the week.
    Looking forward to welcoming many others to the thread for our week together. Have a great BSD week everyone.

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

I am starting again today for the second time, feeling very motivated 3-4 hours in, ha ha!

Currently at 227lbs, I really need to lose at least 60 of those. I enjoy the food, evening glasses of wine are my problem. I could also do with being more active. I wear a Fitbit but rarely reach 10,000 steps per day, so I’m going to try to fit in more walking since I sit at a desk all day.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning all, I see that we’re off and running toward another inspired week. Thank you Sunny and Wendy,
    for the fabulous care and nurturing that you bring to this thread. I’ve been on vacation from the forum for the
    past 10 days, wildly trying to catch up with all that I’ve abysmally neglected recently in the day to day management
    of home priorities. It will take a bit of time to catch up with everyone, but I will do it!

A warm welcome to you, littlesis! You are a real star in your dedication to your brother. Everyone sees the
    weight depart at different rates, so it’s nonproductive to compare one’s results with others. First week’s losses
    are mostly water anyway, but they are uplifting to see on the scales, I must admit. Optimal weight loss occurs
    when hydration is high, and carbs are low. For some, 50g is a good starting point, but adjustments downward
    are often necessary for those of us who are pre-diabetic, diabetic, or highly insulin resistant. I found that when
    I went as low as 20g I saw the results I was looking for, @ .5lb/per day. A stone a month is quite average, and
    very doable. Keep an eye on the proteins, as excess protein gets stored as fat much like carbs. Afterall, this is
    a low carb, moderate protein, high (healthy) fat lifestyle. I only know the parameters for women, but 50-60g of
    protein is adequate to maintain muscle mass, within the confines of an 800cal a day regimen. I continued
    straight thru for 10 months this way, with absolutely no ill effects. In fact, I never felt better in my life 🙂 Your
    brother will do great if he perseveres…We promise! Best,

Allie

• posted by Littlesis
    on

Thanks so much Allie – I feel quite emotional at all the support! You really can’t underestimate the emotional side of this can you. And it’s not even me doing the diet!! I have taken on board the carb/protein issue and will re assess what his menu is delivering. All the best x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I have just checked how many carbs there are in blueberries. Yikes. I also just googled insulin resistance, which I had seen mentioned by several here, but didn’t understand. It’s put me in a bit of a panic; that I’ve really mucked up my body, not just by letting it get heavier. I have not had any blood tests; I don’t know if the NHS do them just if you ask for them. Has put me in a bit of a tailspin…and I know worrying is bad! But feel a bit tearful now. Which I know is not the right attitude!

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

sixturkeys – don’t panic xxx
    Having a blood test for type 2 is something only your GP can decide if you need. But I guarantee it is nothing to be afraid of. Because if it shows up, it is something that you actually have the power to reverse. I was surprised by my blood test result – didnt see myself as overweight enough to be in that bracket. I weighed just under 80kg and ran three times a week and swam. And yet I was carrying too much weight around my middle. So it is just the luck of the draw – your genes dictate a lot of this. Anyhow I don’t like to think of you panicking or getting worried. xxx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi turkeys, reading up on insulin resistance and weight gain is scary, no doubt about it. My very recent experience of tackling this diagnosis in UK might be useful.
    Last year I was visiting the GP about several issues, low energy, 10kg weight gain over previous 2 years, and in September had a range of blood tests on liver, lipids, HBA1C. The latter showed as prediabetic, or insulin resistant, and I was given an appointment to test 3 months hence.
    You are already addressing the central problem, lowering carbohydrates that raise your insulin. People are different; some foods spike insulin in me not in you.
    But what about the difference between normal and IR individuals? I don’t know, but one important difference I read is that someone who is IR can recover sensitivity by losing weight.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Big Hug to you, Turkeys, don’t worry. You have been doing brilliantly with discarding unwanted weight and those results are unlikely to have been that positive if insulin resistance were a huge problem for you. Please don’t worry, continue doing what your have been doing and continue to improve your health and well being.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello avisamuelgrey – good to have you with us. Moving around enough has always been an issue for me too, so try just doing a little more each day if you can, or just increase activity on the days you can easily fit it in – maybe a long walk at the w/e for instance. Needs to be noted I should be taking my own advice though!
    Having done the BSD before, you probably don’t need much in the way of advice, but we’re here to support you and offer encouragement, so please do keep us in the loop and shout if you need us – someone will respond for sure.

• posted by alliecat
    on

New friends, one of the very best companion books to MMosley’s is Gary Taubes book “Why We Get Fat…and What
    To Do About It”. I found it very early in my journey, and I’m certain that once I was clear about IR, making all the
    changes necessary was much easier to do. Julia (californiagirl) and I take turns recommending it! We both
    consider it “the Bible”… The clouds cleared, the sun came out, everything made sense at last. 🙂 If I could present
    it as a gift to every new BSDer, it would be a joy to do so. Have a look!

Allie

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

Hi Everyone, trying to read the posts while trying to work. Well done everyone on all the success with discard of pounds and inches but also for those that haven’t got the results they hoped for, at least you are doing something in the first place and am sure it will happen for you. I know I willl have those weeks too and that’s what I will be holding on to.
    My discard since Thursday is 5lbs and 1inch from my waist measurement. I am very pleased with that. I am going to add some activity this week, even if it is only dancing at my sons party 💃🏻🕺🏻
    Good luck everyone with this week x

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks for the book suggestion Alliecat I’ve ordered it.
    I’m a bit worried too sixturkeys, that I’m quite insulin resistant.I have been overweight and a carb monster for over 20 years, and had very little joy trying to lose weight previously. However the BSD is a revelation, and my week one results appear to be real (still can’t quite believe it).
    Despite this my blood sugars have barely budged yet but I’m only a week in so I’m trying to be realistic and accepting it will take time.

Having a much better day today though, managed to push through the hunger pangs yesterday…phew. Finding all the love and support here a real boost 💖💖💖💖💖💖

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Thank you for the book recommendation, luckily I work in a library so I have it in my hands now.

I take it that a discard is better than a loss because it can’t be found again?

I honestly can’t pinpoint the main reason for my weight gain. I had always been a size 12-16 depending on whether I was dieting or not, then in the 5 years since turning 40 I piled on 4 stone. This coincided with starting medication (mini-pill and SNRI), moving from a flat to a house, and getting a car. Maybe it’s been a combination of all three!

Today, I’ve had a 200 cal breakfast, 300 for lunch, coming in at 35g total carbs. Went for a walk around the block after lunch, which I think could be key.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Yes Shellbob I had a real wobble – what have I done to myself??? However, there seem to be plenty on here who have kept the faith and emerged (and stayed) victorious. Which is something I will hang onto. It was only 6 weeks ago that I came across BSD, and it sounds as if you have had a great start just one week in! And one of the mantras I have picked up is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Which is still a habit I am better at on some days more than others.

• posted by Reducia
    on

Hi all – love this system of new week – clean slate. We can just put the past week’s struggles – good or bad – behind us and start again – GREAT! Thanks to wendleg and SunnyB for providing that – and for a spirited forum that does everyone good in so many ways.
    Well done to those with discards to report and hugs to those who’ve had struggles this past week. I am starting fresh after a neutral week and hoping to buck up and get on with it.
    Re Insulin Resistance – Patricia1066 gives such a good account of the process that I also went through last October and I just want to re-enforce it.. ‘Pre-diabetes’ was diagnosed, in my case, after a regular annual check-up. It happened that I had been looking at MM’s BSD and I picked up on it immediately just in time to join the October Starters Group. I knew a bit about the practice of low-carb so didn’t actually find it too hard to tag along with the principles and had endless encouragement on the forum. I discarded around 14lb in the first 8 weeks and when I went back for my follow-up in early December, I had kicked myself out of Pre-diabetes to my delight and to my Doc’s astonishment. He seems to be pretty anti low-carb and I’ve had a bit of a hard time with him but why should I care? I totally know it works and I’d rather change my doctor than my diet. Hope this is of some encouragement to those worrying –
    Onwards and downwards as a member of the October Starters used to say. SoniaX

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.welcome to all the new comers.Ive been off plan for a week.the chinese new year celebrations involved several meals.wine drinking events and giving of sweet treats and red packets of money. I decided that its too hard to avoid the food and wine etc so I would stop weighing and tracking annd just embrace the festivities. The one great success is that Ive finally after two years given up a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee.I will start tomorrow getting back to routine and report next week. Best wishes for a great week

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Sorry, another post/question from me! Is it better to slash carbs now (ie down to say 20g per day) and see what happens, or to log v carefully, and not go above say 40/45g and see how that works out over the next cple of weeks? I do like the username “Reducia” – it sounds like something from Harry Potter. “Expelliofattibelliamus!”. If only it were so simple…..

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sixturkeys, what are your carb levels now? I think we could better advise you if we knew that 🙂
    Happy to help!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Wow the thread has been so busy since I sent my morning message. Sunny, Allie and Verano have lots of experience and advice to pass on and this should reassure anyone worrying about (pre) diabètes and other health issues.Don’t panic, diabètes has been reversed by many on the forum. Concentrate on staying low carb and include healthy fats : eggs, avocados, oily fish and nuts, full fat Greek yoghurt but walk away from the buns and bread ! The sugar /carb cravings will ease as you continue and you can break free from the ‘addictions’ and you will feel great !

Don’t get despondent about weight stalling …just keep going. Welcome to any one starting out and all the best to our ‘regulars’

I totally agree: the Gary Taubes book is an eye-opener. I also recommend Jason Fung’s books : The Obesity Code, The Diabètes Code and his Complete Guide to Fasting. Lots of very useful info, videos, recipes etc to be found on
    http://www.dietdoctor.com also.
    All the very best x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Allie – I confess I don’t know with any precision! I would say certainly not above 50 but definitely not as low as 20….So unhelpfully quite a possible range…I think I will be really careful next week about logging everything, maybe aim for 35g a day; and then come back (shall I give it a couple of weeks?) for a further (free!) consultation. Is it warmer now where you are?

• posted by alliecat
    on

That sounds like an excellent approach, sixturkeys! Well thought out and very reasonable 🙂 This
    will give you a baseline from which to fine tune your results. Only the most insulin resistant of
    us need to go as low as 20g. You may not need to! Let us know how you get on 🙂
    No, no warm up yet. We’re having a snow/ice storm today, and the University where O/H teaches
    is closed today. Dinner in front of a log burning fire sounds good to me. We usually don’t see the
    ubiquitous “signs of Spring” until the 1st of April in New England. We are used to it! I do have
    “English garden envy” though, I must admit 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi turkeys …. I agree with Allie, it makes excellent sense to take this approach. It may not be necessary to push lower than you start point, so give it a try at 35g and see how you go.
    I really don’t envy you that snowy weather Allie, but it sounds like you know how to handle it. I;m sure you have other wonderful plants and blooms during warmer weather that we would envy as well. Stay warm and cosy by your log fire and only venture out if you can do so safely.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi all, I’m feeling a bit down with the whole BSD at the moment so it’s uplifting reading all the great results and positive stories. I was so upbeat at the weekend but my weight has stayed the same AGAIN 😢. That’s over 2 weeks with no loss! I’m trying so hard to stay positive as my blood sugar readings are the best they’ve ever been. But I just would like to see a wee bit of movement on the scales………..

• posted by wendleg
    on

Scottishgal, please don’t be despondent. Your blood sugar readings are fantastic and that is a massive achievement.
    Maybe someone with greater experience of (pre) diabetes can advise you but honestly I would say don’t focus so much on the scales. Discard will happen. Don’t give up or give in to any negative thoughts.
    Is there anything you can ‘tweak’ Are you unwittingly including some carby foods ??

• posted by Mariet
    on

Morning everyone, busy thread already!
    I’m starting this week exactly the same as last week but though I’ve stayed on track food wise it was an extremely stressful time with illness in the family , not sleeping for worrying and I know that can interfere with weight loss so I’m not worried, just moving on from here. I’m feeling well and full of energy and finally sleeping! So that had to be hopeful.

My plan is just to stay on track and see how it goes. Best wishes all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, the worrying stressful time is behind you now Mariet , what a relief. You can look forward to a calm BSD Week and the ensuing discard . You did well not to resort to any form of “comfort foods” …not that it would have helped but well done and I am so glad your daughter in law can cuddle her baby now .xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.