ONE WEEK AT A TIME – BEGINNING 12th FEB 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Amz (GGheart) 💖💖💖
    You have inspired me to stay strong, had a tough day yesterday, v stressful, didn’t eat anything none BSD but went over the 800. Anyway back up 1 kg (to the dreaded 93kgs) and 1 inch and blood sugars worse than ever this morning. I have taken great comfort from your strength, thankyou 💝

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Peacerunner. Amz’ moniker is GangreneHeart. You will find her post on this thread. Really moving and inspiring. Conversations can indeed leap from one thread to another. I keep track by reading “latest forum posts”. It isn’t infallible – some posts don’t make it there – but it gives a broader picture of what is happening on the site. Best wishes.

• posted by Peacerunner
    on

Thank you Caroni!! So helpful! I didn’t know GGHeart was amz. Her post reminds me so much of me. Many years ago I lived that life and emotional eating was all I had back then-and my sons. So grateful for the freedom and hope and loved your story about taking in your coat. ❤️

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hello GangreneHeart,
    I just wanted to say how moved I was by your post – it’s really hard not to respond to negative or painful things by reaching for food for comfort. So, really well done for managing that; next time I want to go that way I’m going to remind myself of your post. xx

Also, I’m rubbish at sewing so, wow, to taking in a coat! A beloved winter coat is something to have, I think.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

G/Heart/Amz – thank you so much for sharing your inspiring story of managing to stay on track, despite difficult circumstances conspiring the push you towards old patterns of coping. It’s certainly helped put things in perspective for, as I have been coasting this last few days and reading your post has pushed me to redouble my resolve to take proper control again.
    Big Hug to you Amz, for be so willing to take us into your confidence and in doing so, help to empower us all to remember why we are on the BSD and what it means to us.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Tomorrow will see the end of this particular weekly thread, which once again, has proved very lively and informative. There has been a good number of new ‘face’ joining us, as well as lots of the well established BSDers continuing to be an active part of the weekly thread, so that it has remained a good place to share problems as well as gain advice and support. I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting this to continue into the coming week, but this week is looking like a busy one for me, so wonder if someone else would be willing to take the hosting reigns, to kick off a new weekly thread to start from tomorrow?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Amz !
    SO proud of you !! Just look how far you have come ! You would never have had the strength to write that post just a few months ago It is fantatstic to see YOU taking control and not allowing yourself to be manipulated by anything or anyone else !! That is an immense achievement and a turning point I think ! WELL DONE !!

My goodness, that is what this forum is about !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I have another Week to go before I break up for the school holidays so I am happy to start a new weekly thread from tomorrow. I will be away for a Week from Sunday 24th Feb ( Naples !!) so I will not be able to log in so easily during that time. I will do my best to follow on from you.You have been brilliant finding time to respond to all of the members on this thread, giving very useful advice and encouragement.

Allie has been very active too and I am sure she will continue as always to give support so we can all benefit from her experience.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Forgot to mention Wood Duckie has also been very active responding to queries and replying in her inimitable way !
    Quack quack Duckie , we need your Energy and Enthusiasm !!

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Tomorrow is the end of my first 7 days and I am tragically excited by the thought of getting up to weigh and measure. Used a ketone testing stick tonight and I am at PH15 (mid-pink) which Google says is optimal for ketosis. Do we all post on the new thread as of tomorrow? Sorry, if that is a stupid question!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have set up the new thread everyone

One Week at a time …beginning 19th February 2019. Hoping to see you over there !!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Well 2.6lbs dumped this week so I’m not complaining! That brings me closer to my 9 , now 8 , week goal of 9ish pounds. So over to the new thread for another week of weighing, logging and drinking water.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

It’s W4D1 (should have put it on 19th February thread)
    Waist 94cm 1cm smaller
    87.9kg, 1.1kg discard
    Objectives
    My blood sugar levels are steady at 4.7 mmol/l
    I have had a waistline reduction last week
    Kept up daily walking, but didn’t feel like cycling.

I’m not sure I am in ketosis, though I’m not hungry. Carbohydrates 34g carbohydrates average last week.
    No giddiness bloating or hunger. The food longing is changing, for bread and pastry none; of nuts a handful is sufficient, cocoa has become my treat for dessert.
    No bursts of energy, and I didn’t stay as active as previous week. I saw mentioned fitness blender, wow what a resource!
    I planned to run but as my husband has joined me on walks, that’s not going to happen.
    My goal this week is to do 3x 30 minute sessions with fitness blender. My old kettle bells are dusted off and ready!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Awww shucks THANKS for the accolades Wendleg! Im just being me . . . but you are making me blush though ya cant see it for me fevvers!!!! Im more than willing to share what Ive learned, sympathise and offer solace, support and cheer on no matter how small the gain in ground or tough the battle against the carb/cal twins 🙂 Ill be here to offer as much support as I can for the new week . . but with many things needed attention in the next while – (plans and preparation for upcoming holiday, assistance with grandchildren, single handed for maintenance stuff in transition etc etc) – I would prefer not to be considered for the role of the anchorduck right now! I will however be available most mornings at 10am for CheerLeading knees up to boppy music of choice and Pom Pom waving. (Tea-towels are acceptable options.) Quack. Quack. 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Patricia1066! I have just read your post and marvelled at how different we all are 🙂 Im sharing my latest stats against yours (where possible) just an an example to anyone reading to NOT COMPARE your results because they can be discouraging and misleading . . . given ages, heights, DNA, bone density, health history 🙂 so here goes 🙂

Months . . ? 7-8 – first timer at BSD . . . and continuing on with it as a new lifestyle.
    Im 5.2″
    Coming up for 3/4 of a century this year! Yeah me!!! 🙂
    Waist 100cm – (down 11 in 13 weeks)
    83.7 kgs fully clothed – (shoes and all) – started out at 93.? went down to 81 and seem to have levelled out.
    Dont have blood sugars but HbA1C is 6.4 – (was 12.9 last June – before BSD). THAT was my goal. And I had to wait 3 months for those results . . . June – Sept dropped to 6.9. Follow up last week saw a drop of .5.
    I dont do extra walking just what needs to be done around the house, yard and shopping complexes. Have mini bar bells and resistance bands in plain sight – (shoulders crunch and grind so cant cope with much of them) – so rarely use them. I promise myself I will use them more . . . but just added to admit to all that I havent done much exercise (plantar Fasciitis is also a drag!!!!!) have still had more than favourable results, and how much we all differ 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

loss this week 2lbs, total loss since January 16th 4lbs. Ready for another week.

• posted by Peacerunner
    on

So encouraging when people post the losses!!! Keeps me motivated! Thank you and congratulations!!

• posted by Mister B
    on

Hi all. Apolz for cross post. 50 year old here, over 131kg last Monday (11 Feb). Booze (a truckload) , carbs and portion sizes have historically been my poison. And eating as comfort/stress release.

But off we go! Weight loss, not blood sugar so much. And so far it’s going well (5 kg already after 10 days). Sticking to it with support from Missus B, but I’m oh so tired. Through “Mount Crankiness” after 7 days (mostly), but tired and attention to detail is pretty ropey. And if was tracking steps I’d do 10,000 b/w my desk and the Gents.

But fingers crossed.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Welcome to the forum Mister B.
    One of the surprises to me has been the importance of supplementing our diet with salt when eating low carb.
    When our bodies are flushing out the excess water we have stored due to high carbs they also flush out electrolytes. This causes the foggyness and tiredness commonly known as carb flu. Increasing your salt intake even taking a pinch of salt at times during the day will solve the problem.

• posted by Mister B
    on

Thanks JGwen. I’m now on the hunt for savoury drinks! A spoon of vegemite made an OK (ish) drink, sort of veggy bonox / bovril. Any suggestions anyone? I’ve been bitten before by the too high salt content of some of those sorts of things, and in my current progress unlikely to be an issue. But still nice to have some idea of what alternatives there are

Oh quick question on thread etiquette : when do I jump to Week starting 19th?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, welcome Mister B! Our weekly threads run from tuesday thru the following monday, but you can join
    in at any time, and we’d be happy to have you 🙂 Come on over!!!

Allie

• posted by Peacerunner
    on

I’m interested to know if anyone has any simple recipes. I don’t like to cook but have been having various cooked veggies and adding some spices but could use ideas. I am vegan and gluten free and like cooking with spinach and asparagus, green beans too. Thanks and welcome MisterB.

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Mister B, I love miso soup. You can drink it on its own, or bulk it up with green veg, meat or fish. The brand I get is Yutaka in Sainsbury’s, it’s £1 for 5 sachets and only 20 calories per sachet. I’ve read elsewhere that the salt content can be good for you when on a low carb diet.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Welcome Mr B 🙌
    JGwen, I’d not really thought about the salt issue, i will rectify this as although I actually feel less tired than I did before my brain is a mush!
    Thanks for the Miso soup tip avisamulegrey will try some xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Oh sixturkeys! Im flattered you have been looking for me and my results! What a sweet thoughtful person you are 🙂 I thank you sincerely. Ive posted elsewhere but will proudly repeat! 11cms from girth in 13 weeks . . , doc’s jaw dropped and he checked it again . . . same result. HbA1c was 6.9 in October . . . 6.4 now! AND . . . he doesnt want to/ has no reason to see me – for 12 months!!!!! Has asked I aim for another 9cms discard from girth in 6 months . . . and Im happy to keep doing what Im doing and do my best not to expect but accept what me, my body and I are able to achieve when we do the best we can 🙂 Im so grateful to the support, information, explanations and encouragement Ive received from this forum. We are SO fortunate to have such learned people here willing to share their wealth of knowledge. And the Cheer Leaders classes . . . what would we do without the weekly practice, in readiness for the celebration routines 🙂 Hip Hip!! HOORAY!!! Dah dah DUH!!! Dah dah DUH! Knees up . . . and tonight I have Abba rolling out of the music box. Always brightens my day and home 🙂 again ty sixturkeys 🙂 Quack Quack!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi WoodDuckie – yes I saw your news on another thread – one could feel your joy from Aus to the UK! I seem to have completely stalled on the scales, and waist measurement up per tape measure – but oddly the old wrap around skirt with poppers/buckle now fits well and doesn’t ride up at the back as it did 10 days or so ago. Plus jeans are definitely sitting lower. So it’s a “go figure”….I have not been counting carbs etc as closely as I intended but still definitely sub 40 and nearer 20 on some days. So I need to buckle down. And I also realise what a bubble I live in reading here about people’s lives and the challenges they face. But you have inspired me to get my tea towels out for a session. Abba sounds good! My user name “bird sound” would be “gobble gobble”, but doesn’t sound as snappy as yours….It was good to see Nee’s post as well – all wishes that the current worries dissipate very soon.

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Hi help 😌 please. I love tea and I was wondering if anyone knew how much milk would take you out of ketosis. I have 3 cups a day. I don’t eat any carbs other than whats in vegetable etc. I’m still discarding weight but it has really slowed down. So am wanting to tweek my menu. Love reading all the posts keeps me motivated. Thanks eveeyone.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi there SkinnyTish 🙂 *Maybe you have plateaued . . . because we just cant keep losing at the rate of when we begin . . . also re milk in tea . . . *Maybe check the nutritional value plate for carbs/fats etc in the brand you are using . . .? *Maybe check the carb in the vegetables because some have more carbs than we could ever imagine . . . 🙂 Other than that . . . *Maybe the patience lesson stage has been reached . . . *maybe revisit the original reasons for coming on board . . . and *maybe start checking inches rather than weighing:) Hope these ideas help 🙂 Quack Quack.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Skinnytish – If you are still losing I wouldn’t panic too much – discard is not linear, so there will be peaks and troughs along the way, even when we are doing everything by the book. It’s worth reviewing you carb intake if you hit a stall or plateau and you are concerned. The best way of doing that is to check nutritional panels or look up the item online. Some people use apps to help them track their intake and these work out the carbs for you.

As far as the milk goes, have you tried using almond milk or double cream? Almond milk is very low in carbs – 0.2g in 100ml , so negligible and double cream is only 1.6g per 100ml, but you only need 5 to 10ml per cup of tea, so the carb intake is very low.

Why not come and join us on the current weekly thread, which is the same title as this on, but with ‘starting March 12th’ at the end. There’s a good mix on old and new ‘face’ there, all keen to share experience, knowledge and support. Hope we might see you there.

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Thank you all for your advice. I have for bought some almond milk and am checking crbs like crazy. I sure learned my lesson this morning. I grabbed a pot of what i thought was plain full cream yogurt o route to work. When I opened it it was coconut yogurt and had added sugar. So i will always check now. Have a beautiful day everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lesson learnt Skinny, we all make these blunders from time to time. I’m sure you’ll have a handle on the carbs soon and will be making great strides. Have a good BSD friendly w/e.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi SkinnyTish! Unsure where you are but I find yoghurt difficult to “stomach”! As a result of searching for some which is palatable (to me) – Ive discovered a 500g “Yoconut” natural coconut yoghurt in the fridge section of the supermarket (Aldi) – it is quite thick and 100gms = 230cal 3.4carbs 23.7gms fat. While it is quite a chunk out of my personal daily allowances such can be included if careful and needed 🙂 Hope this helps 🙂

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Thank you for that information. I will have a look and see if we have that brand here in South Africa. Coconut yogurt is quiet new here. I do love it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.