Night Duty

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Collie
    on

Ok so I am a sandwich short of a picnic but I’ve done it sort of!! I started bsd800 on night duty, yes 12 1/2 shifts. I have not had any ‘norty’ carbs for the duration. I am craving them like mad but the feeling of not having them is good, so why this constant internal dialogue.
    Looking back I may have drifted from 800 but high protein low carb , med style food has prevailed. This for me in very reduced portions has occurred ye ha!
    So now the challenge of returning to day duty and the jet lag which leads most of us shift workers to the carb craving. I am applying as many mental mantras as I can. Do any of you have any go to grabs from the fridge which may help my mouth hunger at my points of weakness.
    By the way the posts from you all are marvellous and inspire and make me laugh and feel less of a failure for being in this position in the first place.
    Thanks

• posted by evil weevil
    on

Hi Collie

Fellow shift worker here – nearing the end of week 3 of the fast 800 with a mixture of exante shakes and food (shakes if eating alone, food if eating with OH). Nights are rubbish, I’m on last night now and turning round to 8am start on Friday so I feel your pain! The first two weeks I found I needed a lot of extra protein so I just went with it but it’s slackening off now, although definitely worse on nights.

A tin of tuna in a bowl mixed with a little melted mozarella is an amazing lift for me. I don’t have a microwave so it takes 5-10 mins in the oven but is worth it.

I like to eat beef for a good chew – chunks of pre-cooked organic steak are best but in a pinch a pack of sliced british beef does the job. Pre-boiled eggs are good too, boil 4 at a time for 10 mins then stick them in cold water before into the fridge. I don’t peel them til I need them.

Cucumber sticks + home made houmous or guacamole is another good one. My OH makes amazing versions of both!

Weevil

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi evil weevil
    Thanks for reply , interestingly enough at 0430hrs I was struggling and ate a small baby bell cheese it made a difference and got me through the rest of the night. I will defo try more protein , I do days and nights very random pattern so can establish a rhythm . Here goes , it will be great to reduce my bulk . Ha !

• posted by evil weevil
    on

Yeah cheese is good stuff – I’ve had the odd emergency cheestring at a garage when I’ve been desperate! Just got to watch the calories if it’s frequent but TBH I figure better to go a bit over on cheese calories than make a stupid 3am choice.

• posted by hawke
    on

I do nights sometimes, they are awful! I usually eat some high fat and protein food just before (chicken + cheese) to keep myself going. My night shifts are pretty sedentary though, cant imagine how hard a super active one would be.

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi Hawke
    Thanks fo comment, my nights and day shifts are full on walking all night , including a 20 minute walk from car park. I am no spring chicken and get exhausted. We have one break if we are lucky but can not gurantee when so it is usually about 5 in the morning. Secretly I think they are trying to kill us or least my paranoid self thinks this!! I hope you are doing well .

Please log in or register to post a reply.