New starter and question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Hello folks I will begin my journey in two days I’ve got the book,buying the food, taking measurements and weight .
    Curious about blood readings as my nurse took mine AFTER a meal instead of normal fasting sample I wonder why.???? Any help here ?
    I’m nearly 20-00 stone but six foot big build so even my doctor didn’t think I was overweight .
    As mentioned before on here very little food advice comes from doctors and nurses some even contradict itself,they said diabetes doctors are like gods as it’s such a complex subject,so I’ve no chance then doc!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alanhypno,
    Testing after a meal, usually two hours, gives a good idea of how your body is coping with the food you eat. Ideally blood sugars should be under 8.5 for type 2 diabetics, and under 7.8 for non diabetics.
    The fasting one is useful but sometimes the dawn phenomenon can cause it to be elevated and so it doesn’t give a good picture of what is happening the rest of the day. FBS should be 4-7 for type 2’s and 4-5.9 for non diabetics.
    A few random tests ie: before and after meals, before bed, will give you an idea of your overall blood sugar control, and how different types or portions of food affect your results.
    Your weight and appearance can be very deceptive. It’s what is happening on the inside that counts. You can be quite thin yet still have stored fat in your liver and pancreas.
    Keeping your carb foods low, 50g per day or under, will help you to lose that internal fat and bring your blood sugar down.
    Write down the ideal ranges in your log book so you know what to aim for, do random tests on different days and you’ll soon learn what works for you.
    Read through some of the other posts to see how other people manage, and for inspiration. Let us know if you need support or advice, plenty of people on here who are able to help. Apart from the book, these forums are a great source of information, and some of the most caring and friendly people you’ll ever come across.
    All the best ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for all those great answers
    Does anyone know if subway salad bowls are ok ? There’s every salad in there olives lettuce tomatoes onions etc maybe with chicken added maybe olive oil in top
    Low calorie and filling
    ????thanks

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Is there any list of all foods I can eat on this plan ???
    As I’m new to Mediterranean cooking I think it would make it much easier if I had a list of foods I could eat,I know there’s lots of recipes but to make my own would be easier if list available.
    Just eating a subway salad bowl with chicken around 160 calories and lots veg but is it all ok to eat ?
    I begin next week as I’m buying a blood test kit so I can compare before and after results !!!!
    Many many thanks to all for your input,more than I’ve had from medical profession in years
    Alan

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Alan have a look at the recipe section of the site and the “what have you eaten today” thread
    You’ll find enough tips and recipes to last you way past 8 weeks and they are all tried and tested
    I don’t think even Subway could mess up a salad so should be ok

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Alanhyno
    As a rule of thumb try not to eat too much in the way of veggies that grow underground, as these tend to be higher in carbs, go for above ground growing veg – leafy veg are excellent. There isn’t a list of permitted foods as far as I am aware, but go for dairy, meat, poultry, fish, veggies, legume and pulses – the last two being complex carbs are much better for you than simple carbs, but best in moderation. Things to definitely avoid, anything sugary, cakes, biscuits, pastries, pasta, rice and potatoes, as these are all high in simple carbs, which spike the blood sugar and helps pile on the fat.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for that,just looking at my subway salad bowl I think it’s all above ground stuff,lettuce onions olives tomatoes peppers cucumbers,and some chicken which is defiantly not underground around 170 calories whew…but diet cokes a no no ? !!
    Thanks again Alan

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

You’re right, diet coke is a no no! Artificial sweeteners can cause you to keep craving sugary foods so best avoided. You can have Stevia which apparently doesn’t have the same effect, but lots of people don’t like the taste.
    Water, fizzy water, herbal or fruit teas hot or cold, slice of lemon in hot or cold water, tea or coffee ( don’t forget to count any milk in it) are all fine though.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

When making your own meals up how hard is it getting fat ,carbs,protein,etc correct ?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alanhypno,
    I use an app to keep track and it works out carbs, cal, protein and fat etc for me.
    I use ‘The Australian Easy Diet Diary’ it’s for Apple devices only, and people in the UK have been able to download it. I think someone said they googled it and came up with a link to it.
    If you don’t have an iPad or iPhone then I’ve seen mention of other apps on here but haven’t really noted their names, sorry, cos I’m happy with the one I use.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Why
    Do I feel bit shaky over three hours after a meal ?

And will this plan which I’m starting next week avoid the shakes eating so little ?
    Many many thanks Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Oh had bacon n egg with mushroom tomatoes this morning are these allowed

• posted by DeeMac
    on

Hi Alanhypno,

I’ve read others having the shakes when starting out on this diet. I have gotten the chills & lightheadedness. So it is not uncommon. What worked for me was easing into the diet. Weaning off all sugars & some carbs. Increasing greens & fiber. I go to the gym about 3xs a week & joined a Zumba class once a week. I eat the same foods nearly every week. I prepare my weekly meals on the weekend…lots of soup like zuchinni/kale/spinach with a touch of sour cream & loads of curry powder. Some of the ingredients in Dr. Mosley’s book are expensive for me so I stick to what I can afford.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Talking rubbishy ,fast
    Thought occurred to me I used to have some kind of sugar rush or drop and have periods of speaking absolute rubbish for a period of time but this week I’m more stable and very relaxed ,anyone else notice this or do I ring the shrink ๐Ÿ˜œ
    Alan

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’m sure a lot of people would say I talk rubbish most of the time but I can definitely relate to the sugar rush bit. I used to get them quite easily after eating chocolate or cakes. Its what made me wonder if I might be prediabetic. I wasn’t but maybe I wasn’t far away. Not so much now that I don’t eat anything to cause a spike. I would expect it to be a positive side effect of a diet like this one.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Tomorrow night it’s on those scales after five big days
    Not been hungry at all in the day but 9pm it’s nail those cupboard shut time mr nibbles is out
    Got over it by spoon of yogurt or nuts which I fear could be my downfall ,I’ve never seen such a tiny amount of food so high in calories !
    Not buying anymore wil stick to listening to my tummy rumbles !
    Alan ( starting his journey )

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Really wish I had done couple weeks readings before I started this to see how bad I was !
    My readings seem to be reducing two hours after meals from 9.4 day before I began this down to 7.6 now 6.8 two hours after meal of salmon salad and full fat yoghurt n berries.
    Don’t know if these are good results or what to expect ?
    Thanks everyone for input
    Alan

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan,
    under 7.8 2 hours after a meal is the non diabetic range so you are getting great results. Keep it up ๐Ÿ™‚
    See my previous post from 6th April on this thread for the ideal blood sugar levels.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Yes thank you cherrianne,I’ve pasted your replies into my notes to refer to they’re very helpful so I keep them thanks,input on here is fantastic .
    Just myfitnesspal app which I keep food I’ve eaten and work calories keeps telling me to eat more it’s unhealthy etc !
    Alan

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan,
    You are doing so well, ignore the myfitnesspal app, everyone seems to have that problem with it. It doesn’t like the 800 cals.
    Your fantastic blood sugars show you’re on the right track ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Alan – if you don’t click on the complete food diary button at the end of the day then my fitness pal won’the keep telling you this message. Another way round it is to just click on the quick add calories button and add say 500 cal without noting nutritional information. Then the app will be happy!

Well done with your progress both on sugar levels and weight loss!

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Alan I’m on my second week and still getting into this. I use My Fitness Pal on laptop, and although it won’t let you complete day as under 1000, I still find it very handy to log food and see if balance of foods eaten is OK.

Yesterday I was shocked to see I’d eaten way too many carbs. I’d had lentil and veg soup for lunch, then chickpea and lentil burgers for tea. I just wasn’t thinking! My cals were just OK but carbs way over. I could kick myself, but i’m learning. Will stick to simple veg soup in future.

Sounds like you’re doing really well, good luck with it.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Barby,just only just started its a learning curve.
    Unfortunately I can’t cook these recipes so having the foods in basic form ,but it makes it easy to calculate it !
    Salmon is salmon eggs are eggs !
    But I will ha a a go soon at some the easier dishes.
    Alan ,on the first step of this journey

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Awake since 3 am listening to my belly talking to me !
    Not hungry at all,sounds like it’s rearranging things and shrinking ,weird stuff and only into second week.

Strangely not been hungry yet and for a six foot fairly well built guy it’s amazing .

I have a mental picture of myself buying new pants n shirt and going to my local bar looking great feeling fantastic .
    I used to practice hypnotherapy so know how powerful mental images can be that you give yourself similar to how being negative affects you.

Onward and upwards you lovely people
    Alanhypno

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Calories,carbs, fat, protein .

Can anyone give me daily amounts on these please ,looking on my fitness pal to check them out ,

I will then paste the totals into my notes along with favourite posts,I’m getting really boring with this now !!!

Thanks folks Alan

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Food Component DV
    Total Fat 65 grams (g)
    Saturated Fat 20 g
    Cholesterol 300 milligrams (mg)
    Sodium 2,400 mg
    Potassium 3,500 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300 g
    Dietary Fiber 25 g
    Protein 50 g
    Vitamin A 5,000 International Units (IU)
    Vitamin C 60 mg
    Calcium 1,000 mg
    Iron 18 mg
    Vitamin D 400 IU
    Vitamin E 30 IU
    Vitamin K 80 micrograms ยตg
    Thiamin 1.5 mg
    Riboflavin 1.7 mg
    Niacin 20 mg
    Vitamin B6 2 mg
    Folate 400 ยตg
    Vitamin B12 6 ยตg
    Biotin 300 ยตg
    Pantothenic acid 10 mg
    Phosphorus 1,000 mg
    Iodine 150 ยตg
    Magnesium 400 mg
    Zinc 15 mg
    Selenium 70 ยตg
    Copper 2 mg
    Manganese 2 mg
    Chromium 120 ยตg
    Molybdenum 75 ยตg
    Chloride 3,400 mg

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Fantastic very grateful for this list I shall copy and paste this into my collection
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Strange how bs targets are lower in morning and higher two hours after meal
    Yet mine are usually higher in morning and lower two hours after food ,weird.
    At ten in morning fasting I would’ve expected a low reading but it’s 7.7 ๐Ÿค”
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Well today 18 days into this one stone off but fasting up to 8.0 following the plan exactly.
    Don’t know wether or not to go back on the metformin ?
    Thanks Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

19 days in stone lost and going back on those metformin as BS seems up n down n all over
    7.7 fasting today from a lower measurement yesterday
    Soooo continue this plan with couple pills thrown in daily will see how I go and come back off pills in few weeks,maybe they’ll help purge the sugar out system ?
    Alan confused ๐Ÿค”

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Alan you are off them now.
    For the next few days forget the fasting readings and see how the pre and post meal readings are doing. It’s a far more accurate measure as there is no dawn effect involved.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks ever so much for that bill
    Soo will try once directly before a meal and one two hours after to see how I react ?
    Many thanks Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

WARNING
    I really believe that this eating plan should carry a trouser warning !
    I’ve has so many complaints lately when doing my job of of peeping cheeks and this is only two weeks in !
    I believe Michael should put at the top of his foods list buy several belts of reducing sizes,or skirts or dresses !
    I bought a lovely pair of walking trousers three weeks ago but now trip over them as they fall around my ankles (health hazard)
    On the plus side the money I’m saving on fast food sweets cakes biscuits and general stomach rubbish I’ve been able to buy sixteen new suits twenty five pair o pants and fourteen jackets
    Alan exaggerating only slightly ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Carbs 300 grams? Food list

• posted by hashimoto
    on

What do you mean Alan? 300g of carbs???????

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

There was a vitamin carb etc list on here,sure it said 300 g carbohydrates ??
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Re BS testing
    I’m now going to only do immediately before a meal and two hours after for more accurate recording of how its behaving as fasting is so erratic.

But does anyone know how long if at all it should take for fasting bs reading to reduce,I’ve had it down to 7 but back to 8 this morning ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    Alan 1st 6lb in 3 weeks ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

carbohydrates question

I read articles saying we do not get many carbs from veg
    But I’ve not eaten carbs for three weeks l a stone and half yet don’t feel hungry or tired yet more alert and fitter than ever

Where is my body getting all the energy from will it run out and do I need to eat some ?
    Alan

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi alan,
    Apart from meat and fish everything has some carbs. So you have been eating carbs but low amounts of complex carbs which are not rapidly turned to fuel like the simple starchy carbs. So simple starchy carbs are rice, breads, pasta and potatoes.
    Complex carbs are found in the salads, veg and fruits you eat.

Look at your days food and use calorieking to find out how many carbs you are having today.

If you are in the uk deduct the fibre from the carb value to get the correct figure.

You won’t run out of energy because you are still eating some carbs and the reason you are losing weight is because your body is burning your fat for fuel!

Don’t eat starchy carbs or you will go back to square one!!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I haven’t seen the list you are referring to Alan so sorry still can’t help with the 300g of carbs question.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Great advice n info thank you for that
    I’ve been measuring carbs etc with myfitnesspal and am not too far off targets
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Strangely I needed this,one pound ON this week.
    After losing one and a half stone in three weeks,Yes a lot I know,I became complacent and last weekend had a Donna kebab ,one bar chocolate and two glasses white wine
    During week a further three glasses of wine,naughty boy
    Needed a kick up the proverbial !
    Back on track now folks
    Alan ……watch this space ๐Ÿ˜‹

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Back on track NOT
    Not due for weigh in till Friday five days away but just sneaked on scales FOUR pounds up on last week
    Over confident cos I dropped that one and half stone,thought the odd nibble and couple glasses wine were ok but all added up.
    If I drop half a stone in five days I’ll be happy,and lucky !

Problem was couple too many breakfast egg bacon even sausages
    Need a telling off please
    Alan back on it ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Alanhypno
    No telling off’s here. You’re just human & trying to re-educate your eating habits. The cooked breakfast ok ( leave the sausage alone for a bit). Wine , can you afford the calories right now? Nibble on calorie counted nuts. Wagons Ho!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Alanhypno

I often have a cooked breakfast – bacon, egg and black pudding. If I’m out I might have baked beans instead of the egg.

The only sausages I eat now are Asda gluten free pork sausages and Debbie and Andrew’s Harrogate sausages. Taste nice, and much lower in carbs.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Wondering what calories in foods actually look like
    For instance full fat yoghurt three big dollop spoons worth ? Big desert spoon
    Normal rasher bacon ?
    Large egg
    Or should I stick my yoghurt on scales
    Alan going weirder

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Alan
    I weigh everything now, even dollops of yoghurt! I’m on week 3 and the first week lost 4.6kg, then only 0.9kg week 2, so it was a bit of a wake up call.
    I’ll continue to do this until I’m steadily losing each week and I have my eye in!
    Linda

• posted by MrsG27715
    on

Hi Alan.
    Personally I weigh everything …even yogurt and eggs. I like to know exactly how many calories and carbs are in everything I eat, and write it all down in a daily diary. That’s the only way it works for me. If I make up new recipes I write those in the back of my book to refer back to.
    I am 3 days into my second week. I found the first week great. I wasn’t hungry at all and really enjoyed all the food I was able to eat. This week however I am having big cravings for wine and bread, and I am feeling hungry for some reason, yet I’m doing exactly what I was doing last week. Sticking to 800 calories/day, and 50g carbs or less.

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Hi Alan

I have found I need to weigh everything, as spoons vary so much in size – and how high you pile the yoghurt makes a huge difference too!

My digital scales are in constant use – but I know just how much I’m eating.

Most foods have their calorie count on the packaging so calculating is easy. One irritating exception is Sainsbury’s fish, where the calorie count given is for the fish when cooked as they dictate! Back to Google to calculate calories for raw fish.

In the UK:
    Medium eggs (still in their shells) weigh between 53g and 63g
    Large eggs weigh between 63g and 73g.

An average medium sized egg contains around 70 calories
    An average large egg around 80 calories.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks so much for that info dazzling
    Only 60 cals over today so not too bad
    Alan back on it after slip up weekend

Please log in or register to post a reply.