New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Judy! (dipgal) It’s wonderful to see you visiting this thread! You
    will find many sympathetic hearts here, so I welcome you, again. Make
    yourself at home…I’m confused, though. We all miss Canadaliz, but to
    the best of my knowledge, she hasn’t posted here since August. We’re
    all anxious to here from her, so have I missed something? I’m
    confused!! I’d very much like to know that she is well. Have I missed
    an update, Judy? I can’t seem to find it?
    Allie

• posted by Dipgal
    on

Well duh Allie.. I thought she just posted it.. gotta go wash off my glasses.. lol Shame she hasn’t been back.. hope all is well..

Judy

• posted by alliecat
    on

That would be “hear”, not “here”! Good grief, I am a dunce!

• posted by alliecat
    on

We all hope that she will be back, too, Judy. A truly magnificent lady!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya Digpal. I am sure that Liz still gets the email notifications of posts on this thread. She will be thrilled that you are inspired by her.

On the drinking note. I was a 2 bottle of wine a day girl. I had times when I gave it up, but then there was always an excuse. I was fed up, it was a hard day, I deserved it, I wanted it, it was Monday! In retrospect, that sounds like an alcoholic to me! However, I did find, it was slowing my weight loss. I would be really careful, weighing my food, and calculating calories and carbs. Then down a bottle of wine (I had cut it down to one)…and crisps (chips to our american friends). I don’t eat chocolate, but if I have a drink…I DO! What is that about?

I now have elevated enzymes in my Liver which my Doctor told me are usually caused by alcohol. So I am almost teetotal. I had to share a bottle with Jovis to celebrate his Job offer! Now back on the wagon until my birthday next week. I have given up, Potatoes (used to love mash!), Pasta, (ate at least 5 portions (generous ones) a week), Rice..(a couple of times a week) and Bread (I made my own and it was to DIE for). One day I know I will eat a portion of these again…BUT NEVER IN THE SAME QUANTITIES OR AS OFTEN AS BEFORE! If I can do it with food I am going to do it with booze. I have a new mindset and the weight is coming off much faster than it used to.

I just want to put a caviat on the above. Some weeks I did forego the Satan’s Piss, I counted and measured etc. .and didn’t lose any weight…that was another excuse to drink after I weighed myself. I hope this helps you in some way. I too am 61, I used to weigh nearly 20 stone and now I am 15:11…my joints feel better and my back aches less (hurts when I have my 7 month old granddaughter, all that lifting and carrying). There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Allie, Theodora, Esnecca and others (sorry if I have missed you I know you are there) are LIVING PROOF that this works. Thank goodness we have role models to look up to!

Take care everyone.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Mary, you continue to inspire us all!

I’m slowly getting back into the rhythm of things this week. Made a delicious veggie curry for lunch with cauliflower rice and a tablespoon of chia seeds. Kept me going all day. Well that and copious buckets of tea!

Off to the doctor tomorrow to see if he can offer any help with my fatigue and back pain. Got to the stage that I can’t wait for the endocrinologist appointment at the end of Jan. Bonus is that I will be home from work earlier than normal and will cook up a batch of food to keep me going over the weekend…

Booked a trip to Galway next month to see my aunt as she turns 90. She lost her twin in September, so hoping my ugly mug will make it a less lonely day for her. So expensive to go though as it’s half term. I really need to start saving money, not spending it! Still, at least the full Irish breakfast is BSD friendly.

Hope everyone is doing well

L xx

on

Well full physical exam with my fab GP and still no further forward. So he’s ordered a rake of blood tests. I don’t think he’s skipped a single one! I do appreciate what my GP practice does. It’s interesting to see how services differ across the uk.

At least I will know that any vitamin deficiency is not diet related. I’ve never really eaten such a healthy variety of food thanks to BSD. Lentil and spinach Dahl today again. Who am I?!!

How is everyone?

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Leelee, What a shame your GP didn’t help much. Well done on still eating the healthy way. I am sure you will have a blast in February when you go to Galway, any room for a little one in your baggage? I am shrinking by the second lol. Your Aunt will love seeing you. I really love seeing my 93 year old Aunt and regularly phone her. I think we should listen more to older people as they have such a lot to say.

Here’s my tale today. I had my lovely Noodle for the morning and she only cried when her mother left. Then she had a sleep and was absolutely delightful. I had a meeting with the Diabetic Nurse this evening. She asked if I knew what my weight was and I told her 15:11…she weighed me ….drum roll…..15:8…so my scales are 3 pounds out! To say I am pleased is very mild. She looked back at my records and we decided I have lost 4 stone in 15 months. Not as fast as some, but fine by me! She has also labelled me in remission. Apparently, they have been told not to say resolved in case it comes back! She went on to say my numbers have never been within the diabetic range anyway and I was only pre-diabetic once! My question is….so why was I every diagnosed as Diabetic…no answer. I told her what way of life I was following but she didn’t really seem too bothered. Except to say I am doing really well and to keep on going!

Dinner tonight is slaw from the book (with adaptations) which is fast becoming Jovis’ favourite accompaniment to his meals. We are also having smoked Mackerel….yummy!

I think we should organise an outing to Canada to bang on Lizzies door and demand tea! Anyone up for a trip across the Atlantic? We could then cruise down south and see if we can meet a few other posters in the U.S of A…

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

on

Mary, that’s bloody marvellous. You always said you weren’t doing well, but can’t argue with those numbers. Doesn’t sound like you were full blown diabetic at all but you have sensibly avoided what may have been in your future and that can only be a good thing.

With regards to my gp, I was actually being complimentary. He really did a very thorough examination. He really was stumped and I’m actually thrilled at the number of tests he’s ordered. You would normally start one by one due to the cost but he’s ordered the full range (about £3000 worth) so I don’t think he could have done more today. I actually rate him very highly. He always runs about 30-60 mins behind because he always takes his time with each patient. That’s why I never mind waiting!

Always room for you (now a very small one) in Galway. Full (veggie) Irish on me 🤣🤣

Planning is the key for me too. Just did my on line shop and menu plan for next week and will batch cook at the weekend, so I won’t have to do it when the fatigue hits! I love veggie food and eat it a lot, but would find it hard all week to hit my protein goals I think.

Mmmm, paella. I miss that. I really miss rice!

Yep, let’s go to Canada. I miss my other mentor. Though you and Allie do a sterling job for me!

L xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Always pleased to talk to you Lee.

Mary
    xxxx

on

And very glad you had a great day with Noodle xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Mary – That’s brilliant news. Bloody well done! you must be rightly thrilled. It also makes getting to 15st 7lbs by your birthday so much closer. Go for it.

Leelee – if you don’t mind me calling you that – reading about Galway made me smile. We were there many years ago for a weekend. We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast. Wherever we went the B&B owner would insist on calling her brother, who lived 15 minutes away, and he would come over and give us a lift – neither of them would take a penny from us for it. Can I come, too? Hope the blood tests help.
    Cheers
    Marie
    x

on

Hi Marie
    Your Galway experience sounds about right. Us Galwegians love visitors and are very proud of our town! You are more than welcome to join our growing party….😀

Woke up tired as usual. Roll on Monday, when my weekend starts. I hate on call weekends!

L x

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Fab news for you nonna Mary! Great stuff. Scales are a pain sometimes. I posted on another thread that my new scales had me at 10st 5 and three quarters and on my old ones I was 9st 12. I am finding actually getting down into the 9s quite difficult now! Hi will persevere. Steroids down to 8 mg next week (fingers crossed).

LeeLee. Hope you get on top of your health issues soon. Good luck. I’ve never been to Ireland but it sounds lovely and I’d love a “full Irish”! You have to be right for your trip.

Keep going ladies. And I’ll link arms to get to Liz’s, however long it might take. As long as she knows we’re here and won’t go away

Tillybud x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello my friends

I’ve not been around much the last week. I think I only managed a couple of posts last week. Hope everyone is well?

Nonna Mary, what a wonderful surprise your docs scales showing lower than yours! Well done on your continued loss. You’re on a roll. I too have noticed that it makes a difference giving up the booze completely as I have for January.

2 lbs off for me this week, and am 16 stone on new scales. 15.12 on old scales but I need to forget the old scales now. Next week I WILL be in the 15s!

Went to the Birmingham panto yesterday. It was awesome! Got off and walked the half mile from the station to the theatre and the walk was a breeze with no back or hip ache! My mum walked no problem too. It’s nearly 2 years since her stroke and she’s still improving.

Keep going Tilly, you’re nearly in the 9s! I know just how you feel with your scales being so out.

Lee, I’ve been to Dublin and Athlone. My bestie is of Irish stock and we were only saying the other week that we’re well overdue a visit. Reading your post is giving me the urge to get something booked. Yes, everyone goes out of their way to welcome a visitor. It’s just lovely.

Kazzeee xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Yay Kazzee….so pleased to hear from you. Still going in the right direction. You are so great.

I am looking forward to taking my grandson to the panto next year. Birmingham always does brilliant ones. Well done to your mum for walking all that way too!

It is my birthday on Tuesday and we had a special meal yesterday….still in keeping, but a few more calories and carbs than normal. I am paying the price today of a 2 pound gain. Hoping it is all water and will be gone tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Take care and much love.

Mary xxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh well done Kazzee! You’ll be in the 15s this week. I’m trying for the 9s so much I put a pound on overnight! Hope I’m almost there by Tuesday but it may be next week ☹️I could kick those old scales! I was so pleased with myself and these new ones have knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. Daft I know. I’ll keep on keeping on. Glad you enjoyed your panto.

Were going to France in our motorhome in February for five days. Daughter and hubby coming to stay here to look after my mum. She’s 95 and getting more dependent on others shall we say. Otherwise we wouldn’t get a break. I definitely want to be 9st and something by then! Hey ho. Onwards and downwards x Tilly

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh well done Kazzee! You’ll be in the 15s this week. I’m trying for the 9s so much I put a pound on overnight! Hope I’m almost there by Tuesday but it may be next week ☹️I could kick those old scales! I was so pleased with myself and these new ones have knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. Daft I know. I’ll keep on keeping on. Glad you enjoyed your panto.

Were going to France in our motorhome in February for five days. Daughter and hubby coming to stay here to look after my mum. She’s 95 and getting more dependent on others shall we say. Otherwise we wouldn’t get a break. I definitely want to be 9st and something by then! Hey ho. Onwards and downwards x Tilly

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh Mary. You have to celebrate your birthday. If that’s s 2 lb gain, then so be it. You’ll lose that in the blink of an eye! You are so determined and motivated you’ll soon be whooshing the extra lbs away! Good luck for weigh in this week. Tilly

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Sorry about my previous post being in stereo! Don’t know how that happened. Didn’t press it twice x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Tilly…we really need to push for a “like” button!

Stay well.

Mary xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

👍well said Mary and thank you x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mary, a happy early birthday to you! Yes, it will just be water retention as I’m sur you know. I’ve just posted on the challenge thread that I only weigh once a week because the daily fluctuations annoy me so much! I would go as far as to say that they cause me angst! So no more daily weigh ins for me.

Tilly, I could have sulked for a week when my new scales showed my true weight! 😊 and they were only 2 lbs out, unlike yours. I had to give myself a good talking to! It will fade once you’re in the 9s on your new set. Bless your mum. 95 is a good age! I suggested my mum coming to live with me, but she was horrified at the idea! Ok then! 😁. She’s worked hard doing physio. Very determined. Which is a good thing.

Kxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

As I’m “closing up shop” for the night, I’m just dropping by to wish
    you a very happy birthday, Nonna Mary. I t must be a great relief
    to both you and Jovis that he has secured permanent employment.
    All good wishes that your 61st year will be filled with joy and good
    health, for both you and those that you love. I don’t think that I ever
    knew your starting point with respect to your weight, but 4 stone
    in 15 months is an outstanding achievement. Onward and downward!
    Many happy returns of the day 🙂

Allie

on

Grrrrr 🤬
    Stuck to plan all week. Avoiding catered lunch at meetings (sandwiches) and my reward? A 3lb gain!
    I’m hoping it’s a combination of Christmas payback, adrenal tumour hormones and my body getting back into the swing of things…😱

Got a day off today and thankfully no time to dwell or give in to temptation. Blood tests, hairdresser, lunch out (already selected the chicken, bacon and avocado salad), chiropractor and chiropodist. Will have to go back to work for a rest!

Happy Monday everyone!

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank Allie, so eloquent and generous good wishes. I take them as a big virtual hug. In October 2016 I weighed in at 19 stone 4 pounds, having lost around 4 pounds before beginning this way of life. I have maintained a lot, but never gone back to the white carbs!

Kazz I wish I could admit to it being water, but alas, it is still here today. Despite a 24 hour fast yesterday! I just cannot get my head around it. Jovis has lost half a stone and doesn’t even know how (because I feed him healthy food lol). Sometimes it doesn’t seem fair. BUT…3 steps forward, two backwards….for me at least.

Lee, I feel your pain! What a busy day you have in front of you. Take care my friend and enjoy what you can.

Lots of love on my Birthday Eve.

Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Happy Birthday nonna Mary. Hope you have s lovely day with your jovis and hope the scales are kind to you today. I am 10 st 2 and three quarters this morning which is half a pound down. Aarrggghhh!! Still it’s down, not up. Small mercies etc ….. X

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mary,

Happy Birthday. Have a lovely day.

Hope everyone else is doing well. It’s a lovely, bright winter’s morning here so I’m off for a walk.

Kazz – I read on the ‘positives’ thread a while back you saying you were wrapping up for winter and will emerge from your chrysalis in Spring – yep, me too.

Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning!

Just popping in quickly whilst no one is around. Was off yesterday and 7 of us went for lunch. A lot of these places don’t seem to provide good old fashioned veg! Everything is either chips/fries/wedges or frozen/mushy peas! I ended up having a chicken breast (minus the burger) with the most boring green salad you could imagine! That frilly lettuce stuff! What is that? Impossible to prong with the fork and get in your mouth neatly! 🙂 No dessert! Just one black coffee. I think in future, we will have to go to a carvery!

Don’t despair Nonna Mary, you know it will come right, it always does – forget about it and enjoy your birthday today. Are you doing anything nice or was that at the weekend?

Marie – imagining myself emerging from a chrysalis is the only way to get through winter!

Well done, Tilly! Keep going! 🙂

Have a lovely day everyone 🙂

Kazeee xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Y’all, and thank you for the birthday wishes. I sit on the horns of a dilema and boy is it sore! On Saturday the family came around and we had a lovely meal. I cooked it and know what went into it and it was low carb. Then Jovis and I had a little drink on the evening. I then find I have gained 2 pounds. Which I have NOT lost, despite doing back to back 24 hour fasts!

My quandary is this. Should I go out for a celebration meal with my lovely Jovis, to our favourite Italian Restaurant? Or, do I stay in and have a lovely meal cooked by Jovis? I would imagine, that either way, wine will be on the menu…although I am feeling quite anti-vine! If I do have a meal and drinkypoo, will I gain another TWO POUNDS that take a week to lose (for me anyway)?

I would be pleased to hear your views on this. I hope everyone is keeping well.

Lots of love
    Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nonna Mary, what I have to offer you today is a bit of what we call
    “tough love” on this thread. It concerns me and all of your true friends
    here that you have elevated liver enzymes. I’m also cursed with the
    reality during my weight loss phase that 2 glasses of wine would
    instantly result in a 1.5lb weight gain, and on the 2 occasions in
    10 months that I made those choices, it took me an entire week
    to get rid of it. Only you can decide if it’s worth it to you, however 🙂
    Others can have the wine without repercussions, but you and I
    don’t appear to have that luxury! Best wishes to you on your
    special day. Enjoy every minute of it, whatever you decide.

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie, you are so right as usual. I am taking this advice on board. So no wine. But now, whether to go out or not. The restaurant does amazing fish dishes and salads so I can be bsd friendly, just not calorie wise….never happy am I?

Thank you.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Nonna Mary, now you have decided ‘no wine’, you have to decide which would feel more special. Staying in with your lovely Jovis and having your own special meal which he will cook and you know exactly what will be in it in your own private restaurant or a meal cooked for you both but won’t be as intimate and there’ll be others there sharing your space. OH and I don’t enjoy eating out, preferring to eat home cooked and so we can have a little drinkypoo too if necessary. Only you can decide which is right for you, but I’m sure you’ll have a fab time whichever x 😘

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

True Tillybud. I have a dress I bought years ago which now fits and I really fancied wearing it and getting dressed up. Jovis loves to dine out and I have so many rain checks that I could paper a wall with them. At the same time, I am being lazy and don’t want the fuss. I am in two minds about everything. So daft. I think I will wait until later and see how I feel then.

Thank you

Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

So we are staying in. Jovis has had a sinus pain all day and I am feeling tired, so we are going to have steak and vegetables done a la Jovis. Lovely.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

It just sounds perfect, Nonna Mary 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Enjoy!

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Sounds ideal Mary. You can always wear your dress in your own private setting!

Hope Jovis feels better and you both enjoy your birthday x

Tilly

on

Just popping in to wish the lovely Nonna Mary a truly lovely birthday.
    Steak a la Jovis sounds just the ticket but I do hope you wore your lovely dress. A night in can be very special.

Have a lovely evening xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Leelee, lovely of you to pop in. I am afraid I didn’t wear the dress….sniggers….he bought me a nightie so I wore that…

Love Mary
    xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Mary – you fast piece!

on

I’m very proud of that Mary! 🤣🤣 Go girl xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Girls really? Read my older posts….I can blow his mind!

Yowzer!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mary!!! Love it! 😊😊👍

Kxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

LeeLee! How are you feeling?? I’ve had to take care of some of
    life’s little chores, so haven’t been on top of all recent news here…
    I know that you had extensive blood work done recently. Have
    you heard the results yet? Your trip to the islands must be coming
    up fast! Hopefully it will be the rest that you need. Thinking of you!

Allie

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh Mary I like your style! Hope you don’t cause ructions in A&E later……. Again!! Poor Jovis or rather lucky Jovis. Have a great night x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, you vixen! Ah, memories, memories…My o/h takes 8 different
    kinds of heart meds, so wild nights are now a distant memory.
    Enjoy!

on

Hi All

Woke up freezing cold at 4 and now sat in bed, cat in lap and coffee in hand. Somewhat regretting my avocado and feta salad prepared for lunch today. Delish but not exactly warming!!

Mary, hope you and nightie had a fun night 😆

Allie, had my bloods done on Monday, so made an appointment for next week. I’m really lucky as I helped one of the top endocrinologists in the country set up a study last year, so took a chance and emailed him about my condition and he’s been lovely. Told me exactly what tests to ask for and is going to review the report as well as contact my consultant directly. He will also get me in to the best surgeon if that’s what I need. It’s really lovely of him as I certainly couldn’t afford a private consultation and to be fair I’m very pro NHS (bound to be in my job) but I don’t feel guilty about using my contacts!

Tobago on 27th January. Can’t wait! It’s raining there at the minute but at least it’s warm rain 🤣🤣

L x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello hello hello

I can’t get warm today… it’s 4C, cold wind which is going to get a lot worse over the next day or two. I may have to buy my first ever cardigan for the office – must be the lack of blubber to keep me warm! Has anyone else noticed a similar thing?

Lee – that’s so lucky and very good of this doc to take such a personal interest in your particular situation. I hope things start to move in the right direction for you soon. I envy you the holiday! We sure could all do with warming our bones and feeling the sun on our shoulders. I couldn’t face salad either. I’ve just had roast pork and stirfry veg and a side of bok choy from the restaurant upstairs. Salad will go home with me tonight to have with my dinner.

Hope everyone else is ok?

Kazee xx

on

Hi Kaz

I’ve been exactly the same vis a vis the cold! I work in a hospital (and we all know how hot they can be) and I used to be practically in vest tops all year round but now it’s jumpers all the way with an office fleece! A total change and I’m currently sat here in 3 jumpers.

Chiropractor says I need to ice my back four times a day. Not sure I can face it 🤣

Tonight it’s a pork ragu with veg and chia seeds for me and I’ve done enough for lunch tomorrow! No more salads til the spring…

How are we all doing?
    L x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hiya lovelies

I’ve left my phone at home today – it might as well be my handbag! Feeling quite displaced, particularly as it has my bank card in it and I was going shopping tonight! Oh well…

Lee – ice your back four times a day? Good grief! How would you physically do that? Glad it’s not just me then feeling chilled to the bone. Our “People First” rep as emailed the group asking for feedback on the temperature in the building and who has to wrap up etc. It is definitely warmer this morning!

Right, back to the grindstone – catch up with you all at the weekend! 🙂

Kazzeee xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.