New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Oh my lovely Liz. I want to give you a big hug.

I work in cancer research and did two years in GI cancers. The most common reason for mucus (and associated diarrhoea and cramping) is actually dehydration, closely followed by a bacterial infection. I also had similar symptoms to you when I had a Helicobacter pylori stomach ulcer. It’s absolutely right to get it checked but I’m hopeful there is a simple medical explanation or stress. Medical probably easier to deal with.

Avoid dairy, particularly milk, up the fibre and avoid acids, at least until the investigation. Don’t worry about strictly following bsd, just do what you can to stick to the principles. The best thing you have done for your health is no booze, even if it doesn’t feel that way right now.

Mary is right, you don’t have to do it all. No one can. Time to let others take care of you for a change and reflect on how much you have achieved despite all you have dealt with this year already (and it’s only July 😱)

We love you and I bet that Jovis hug felt good….

L 😘

on

Post script:
    Blood not uncommon. You have the shits. It’s irritating your insides.
    Heartburn also common with ulcers. See if you can get some over the counter lansoperzole or Omeprazole (not sure what it’s called there) it will be more effective than pepto and stay off the NSAIDS

L xxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Angels,
    You’ve convinced me I’m not dying. I’ll take every word of your advice to heart and follow it to the letter. I just feel beaten and bruised. Even on a good day when my guts are fine I get overwhelmed when leaving the house for something I know will stress me so I barf. I also have a hiatus hernia which doesn’t help with the indigestion. For me now, drinking is not a physical option although I wish on days like this I could inject it right into my brain. I’ m usually the eternal optimist but am having a hard time smiling right now. I’ll come through this period of stress and my guts will settle but the waiting for time to pass can be an anxiety riddled bastard. The only thing that makes it bearable is having you angels supporting me.
    So much love for you all I could shit my pants,
    Liz

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Go Kitty , you’re off to a great start , get yourself a special glass that you can enjoy an ‘Adam’s Ale ‘ or 2 out of for Friday night , it’s great to hear how commited you are 😊
    H66

• posted by EC
    on

good morning everyone….

Liz, great to “hear” your voice again, even though you’ve been having such a shitty (pun intended) time of it….I do hope it improves soon

For you and Mary re the IBS…..I worked a lot some years ago with IBS patients (with my other hat on as a health practitioner) and found that using a combination of a really good pre-biotic called Saccharomyces Boulardii with anxiolytic (anti anxiety) herbs such as kava, valerian, magnolia or holy basil often worked a treat (as tablets…liquids are full of alcohol, which is fine unless you have gut issues or trying to avoid it)….interesting now all the gut/brain research is validating a lot of similar ideas and protocols….not sure whether a lot of these products are available worldwide, but there’s iherb (US) online (which has both really good and really crappy, flaky products available so you need to wade through the dross). That said…absolutely get the colonoscopy done, Liz….at least that should alleviate the anxiety of anything potentially more serious!…I’m all for adequate diagnoses….and Mary, psoriasis is a bitch…..I do hope you find a solution

I’m treading water a little…not sure if I’ve lost any more weight as the scales are well and truly buried somewhere with the contents of my whole kitchen and dining room AND building materials!!…but I’m still noticing that things are looser, so happy enough….had a couple of very hungry days (it is mid-winter here) but generally following principles and on count re calories more often than not.
    Have to go back to NSW most likely in a week or two to help my friend who will be leaving hospital after pretty horrendous Ca therapy, but I’ll be doing all the cooking there, so should be able to stay mostly on plan

Work is crazy busy atm, but keeping at it with tea and coffee (and power tools in the background!!!!)…working from home sounds so glamorous, but there are moments…..
    the border collie (aka my personal trainer) and walks are keeping me sane…well, sort of

love to you all for a glorious weekend!
    xx
    Erin

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi Liz ,
    We haven’t got to know each other here , but can I just say YOU are the reason I’m here at all , you gave me the strength to get up and do something !
    Overweight , pre diabetic , along with a few other health issues , & self medicating with alcohol , which wasn’t curing or solving any of them .
    The old saying ” Don’t just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the plane ” comes to mind ,…. I was sitting there , waiting waiting … .waiting …but nothing was happening , I was feeling sorry for myself , who was going to push the plane ? & then whilst browsing I came upon your Forum , I read with interest your first line where you said you visited your Dr ., then the second where you said ” I made the choice to change ” , those words got me in , so I read on , and felt so inspired by what your shared , and how well you were doing , after making that big decision to change , & decided to not just sit there on the runway waiting any longer so “I made the choice to change ” .
    Have to say I imagined if you had met me just sitting on that runway waiting you’d say .
    ‘ What the f… are you sitting here for ?
    Waiting for what ?
    Waiting for help ?
    Get off the f…… plane and help yourself !
    If you want a push I’ll f…… you myself !
    You just need a quick kick up the a.. to get you moving ! ( kick in the a.. felt ! OUCH ! )
    My butt was stinging , my ears were ringing , but your words I MADE THE CHOICE TO CHANGE stuck hard , and I decided to follow the Leader , so add LIZ THE LEADER to your next sign off , and know I’m forever grateful .😘
    Other, lovely people had already joined you here before I did Liz, & have obviously been encouraged and supported by you , they were missing you in your absence , I was missing you also , & must say a tbought slipped into my mind , that maybe you’d had an invitation from Satan to ‘ Come along , it’s gunna be a hell of a party !’ , but I thought of my kick in the butt , & just knew you’d kick him from here to Kingdom come if he even dared to invite you , so relieved , thought dismissed What you started here alone Liz , has grown & become a caring little Family , so much love and support , & concern for each other , I’m happy to be fostered or adopted , doesn’t matter to me , I just want to be part of this loving Family .
    So glad to see you back Liz after your hugely busy week .
    The first thing I want to do now , having read all your recent posts , is open my arms and give you one of those big hugs , I want you to know if Mary’s not around , you can also rest your head on my shoulder , & yes listen to my wheezy old breathing ! ( got a bit of asthma happening here , secondary to a virus )
    I’m really sorry to hear what you are going through with your bowel issues , and the worry and angst it is causing you , & I’m hoping that the bit of blood stained mucus may be from an internal haemorrhoid ? ( just inside the anal sphincter )
    My hubby had that happen when wiping Dr ordered a colonoscopy , & at the time of colonoscopy , the surgeon tied it off , no further issues there .
    He was also diagnosed as having marked diverticula disease , lots of pockets , from an early life of too much junk food & not enough roughage the surgeon told him !
    Metamucil every day since , and no further problems after wiping , but is aware of signs , or symptoms of diverticulitis .
    I do hope the barfing & indigestion is stress related , as you’re got plenty of reason to feel stressed at the moment , with all that’s on , but you’re doing the right thing by having the colonoscopy , maybe an endoscopy to check the top end may be something your Dr may think worth while checking at the same time ?
    Just try to take one day at a time , get help with the party , & try not to feel that you have to do it all yourself .
    Are your sons & partners all staying with you , if so set this’s girls to work .
    As for the house , I’m sorry but I had to have a smile when Kev said ‘ so what if the house isn’t perfect ‘ , if we get friends visit , and the place isn’t spot on mine says ‘ Don’t worry about it , they’re not here to see the house , they’re here to see us !’
    Doesn’t work though does it ?
    Do try and relax a bit though , don’t be too hard on yourself , just look at what you’re capable of , what you’ve achieved , be proud of your successes , look at that fantastic weight loss , 8 weeks of this , & planning another , & in that time packing up & selling a house , along with the huge distances driven and time taken associated with that , there was also your dear Mum’s stroke to contend with & all the associated worry and added stress & anxiety that has has also put on you ….
    Know that we are all here for you Liz , wishing you well , & I’m sending some extra energy your way , & sending heaps of love ,
    H66 😘😘πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Ps just to add to what I said Liz :
    The reason I think you should perhaps have the endoscopy for a look down from the top end , is that you have the indigestion , and burning as well , and yes anxiety and stress can certainly make those symptoms of indigestion worse , but best to cancel out others reasons for it .
    I had a terrible time of it , as I had been taking Celebrex to ease the pain of arthritis , had the endoscopy , and I had inflammation of the oesophagus & erosions of my stomach lining diagnosed , so was ordered nexium tablets to deal with it .
    The Celebrex was blamed , and discontinued , but I suspect alcohol along with an anti inflammatory wasn’t an ideal combinstion ! ( Alcohol didn’t cop any of the blame , parity because when asked by the endocrinologist whether I partook , I said yes on social occasions !!
    I was told that these erosions in the stomach lining need to heal as they can become ‘ nasty ‘ , I guessed what nasty meant !
    😘H66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Pps :
    Everyone please excuse my punctuation , and the odd s on words where they shouldn’t be , I don’t review before I submit , maybe I should !
    Thought I should honour my past English Teachers by at least acknowledging my errors πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Great post EC , especially for Liz & Mary re the IBS .
    Interesting how It was some years ago that you were working with patients with irritable bowel syndrome and found pre-biotics and anti-anxiety herbs were beneficial in the treatment of , this gut brain research is certainly validating some of those ideas and protocols used , you’d be following with special interest I guess ? Good to know also that you were on the right track back then .
    I purchased Michael Mosley’s 8 week diet recipe book , & browsed through his Clever Guts book whilst there , but decided I’d leave that until I get this 8 weeks done first , see where this takes me , weight wise , am hoping also my HbA1c will have lowered a little , & I’ve sent pre diabetes packing !
    I only browsed at Clever Guts quickly , but came away with the thought that if there are reasons for anyonr to suspect gastro intestinal issues then it should be investigated by health professionals before trying to self diagnose , & follow protocols written by so many so called experts now .
    Sounds like youve got a lot on your plate also , hope it’s good news when you find your scales , looser clothing sounds very positive though .
    Do hope your friend responds well to her Cancer therapy , and moreover can send it packing .
    You’ll enjoy a break , away from your ‘renos’ , your friend will enjoy your company , plus a bit of pampering after her horrid treatment schedule , plus a personal chef as well .
    Her palate may be a little tricky to please , chemo seems to mess with appetite & taste , guess it will be trial and error , to ensure she doesn’t lose weight and become mal nourished , that’s the important thing .
    Hope it all goes well .
    😊H66

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Lots of love to you Liz, as previous posters have said “you don’t have to do everything!” Concentrate on yourself and your health. With regards to the family and party…DELEGATE. Be the Matriarch, not the maid.

Excellent loss in 8 weeks and keep in touch when you can.

BIG HUGS

FFBB XX

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi all, Many thanks for the concern about Liz and my little problems. Liz, yes my arse bleeds regularly and not just a bit….sometimes I think I have just drained all the blood through the anal sphincter! My GP said it was normal for people with “my problems”. Here in the Uk, every 60 year old gets screening for blood in the faeces. Mine of course was positive and they wanted to do another colonoscopy until I talked to them. They said there was no point as I had recently had one, BUT, I have to have one next year IF they get the same result. And I know they will….I found it interesting…they showed me what they could see. I had been relaxed by some stuff they gave me and it was like having a drink but without the associated problems. I also have a Hiatus Hernia and daily take Lansaprozole to help combat the excess acid. I had my Gall Bladder removed when I was 30 and that leaves you with excess bile, so any thing greasy or dairy sets it off. My diet quickly became restricted. I found out I was lactose intolerant (and I love cheese, yogurt etc), couldn’t have too much grease, spice causes excess acid and the number of nights I have filled the loo with vomit exceeds 100s.
    I have suffered with anxiety, panic attacks etc since I was a teenager, so over 40 years! People often advise me to meditate, eat particular things…basically I need to change my mind and that is difficult.
    Liz I can feel your low mood and I am using all my strength to help lift you. I promise everything will be OK. You have been through the most amazing amount of shit and still made everyone else feel so good. Take a little back… you are great. You are marvellous. You are strong…You inspire us…You can handle it.. You are our Lizzie the Leader (thanks Hello66) and we love and want to help.
    I use the mantra….I feel like this, not because I am weak, but because I have been strong for so long.

Lots and lots of love from me and I am sure everyone,
    Nonna Mary xxx

Jovis says he will give you extra hugs if I let him, and I do!

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

I’m part of an army. Arms linked. Marching across the earth up hills and down valleys. We meet the enemy of booze, anxiety and food but our links are not broken. Each gaining strength from another along the chain.
    That is how I feel right now. I AM EMPOWERED!! It is 9:10am here and I’m not working. I called in for a ‘me’ day. It’s Friday in the summer and our summer in Canada is short enough so nobody is at work anyway. I was dreading calling my boss but she said “great idea Liz! I’m only here until noon.” I noticed a pattern in myself–I spend so much time pre-worrying. NO MORE.
    Kev is home today and before getting up we had a pillow chat and I started with “Kev, this year has really been a bit shit.” He agreed.
    First it started with a full on dose of influenza. Then he had it. I ended up with pneumonia and two days in hospital. Then Mum had her stroke and fell down the stairs in front of me. Then moving her into assisted living with all of the tears associated with your Mum begging you for one more chance at home not understanding the care she needed that I couldn’t provide plus all of the associated moving coordination as you move your own stuff in (she has her own sitting room/bedroom/kitchenette/toilet so huge upheaval in the house. Then watching Kev get cardioverted to get his heart back in normal rhythm and the string of cardiac visits/tests and anxious for results. Then driving down to Florida and having the biggest panic attack in my life thinking I was going insane. Then packing up our Florida home in 100 degree heat with 1857% humidity. Then barfing my way home over a 30 hour drive in a rental truck towing our car. Then moving all of the shit into our home and trying to get organized and countless trips to the dump purging years of Mum’s stuff which is very emotional. Then churning up my guts so badly with anxiety……..but you know what? I HERE. STRONGER THAN EVER BECAUSE OF EACH OF YOU. Kev said to say thank you to each and every one of you. You chicks have no idea the difference you have made. Like Kev says–on a ‘normal’ day I am happy, smiling, and find the good in every shit pile and haven’t been myself for a couple of weeks. So together we have adopted a new mantra. Fuck it. Yes, this year has been a bit shit but there’s millions of others who would trade their circumstance for mine. So what if this year has been a trial–we’re here and have today to live on our terms.
    My biggest accomplishment hasn’t been the diet it’s been the booze. Sure it’s been a bit mad. The time I screamed at the bottle “FUCK YOU–I’VE GOT PLANS FOR ME THAT DON’T INCLUDE YOU” might have seemed a bit insane but I have developed a relationship with alcohol and made it like a person (okay, personified–I know big words too.) There is a liquor store at the top of our road and yesterday, driving past, I could smell they were having a ‘tasting day’ in their kitchen where they dish up appetizers and pair them with wine etc. and I said out loud FUCK YOU–NOT INTERESTED. I pictured linking arms with each of you and as one unbroken unit we passed on by.
    When I really feel like I’m weak and failing or not as strong as the next person I say to myself “Fuck Liz, you only have to be as strong as your best. Today is your day just do your best, it’s the only best that counts.”
    I’m still in bed and it’s now 9:24am. I could have got up and started running through the day but my new mantra is–listen to your body Liz and go at its pace for once. And that is what I’m doing. I’m going at my pace–not the world’s.
    I’m going to go and have a long hot shower–unrushed then have a cup of tea standing by my kitchen door and picture each and every one of you. Above I visualized us each walking, arms linked, across an endless plain. Sometimes facing uphill challenges sometimes eased by a walk down a gentle slope but always arms linked. That is the source of my empowerment. It’s funny–I’ve mentioned I’m 6ft tall and now down to 235lbs but am still massive. To look at me, built like a streetcar, you’d think I’m the strongest but I am strong because of this global sisterhood. I gain my strength from linking arms with each and every one of you.
    Thanks to you my kitchen is back open for you to drop by for tea. We are living this life now on OUR terms. Fears might creep in but we don’t have to deal with stuff alone. Baring my soul to you, sharing embarrassing health details or just having a chat–somehow, together, we’ve created a sisterhood of unparalleled support. Life is magic. Perhaps it is our shared and common need that has woven itself together across the globe. Whatever it is–I’m in. Tits deep–I’m in. It’s not just “we’re can do this–it’s WE ARE DOING THIS!!!!” SO FUCK YOU ANXIETY I’M LIVING LIFE ON MY TERMS NOW. PANIC ATTACK DO YOUR BEST ‘CAUSE I DON’T GIVE A SHIT. HOUSE–STAY MESSY–COULDN’T GIVE A FUCK I’LL GET TO YOU WHEN I GET TO YOU. MY ARMS ARE LINKED WITH OTHERS AND I AM STRONGER THAN YOU KNOW. TOGETHER WE ARE A FORCE. WE GO AT OUR OWN PACE. NO AGENDA. NO EXPECTATION. JUST ARMS LINKED–WE WALK ON. TOGETHER WE WALK ON.
    Kev’s just brought me a cup of tea, read the last paragraph and said “William Wallace, will you be wanting your blue faceprint today?”
    Oh my smartarse beloved–fuck off.
    So much love and thanks,
    Linked Arms Lizzie of Impenetrable Strength

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

ROAR….WE ARE STRONG, WE ARE INVINCIBLE…WE ARE LIZZIES ARMY!

I have been thinking about you a lot today as I am having one of my episodes and spent a lot of time on the loo. I know how horrible it can be and it stops me from living life to the full. I love your inspirational words, you help me more than you know. Take care my lovely Liz and give our Kev a big kiss and cuddle from me for being so funny. You are a great couple.

Love,
    Nonna Mary

ps…put the kettle on love?

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Oh ladies, those gut problems sound horrible. I feel for you. Personally, since I started on the metformin, the ‘movements’ went to every other day, sometimes twice a day. Gastric reflux started me on the colonoscopy merry-go-round some years ago. Thank heavens for nexium. If I had to choose one of the tablets I take every day, that would be the one I’d keep. If I forget it I have to keep eating to quell the nausea. Not great when trying to diet.

I too have bloody wipes. Recent tests found nothing and it is put down to haemorrhoids. More water specifically to drink does help. But no matter how much fibre I eat I still manage to produce rabbit doddles. The only thing that does it for me is prunes, which I adore but which are calorifically expensive.

Dear Liz, I do hope you manage to quell the bizzies in your mind. Easy to say, very hard to do. Have a lovely visit with your children, put them to work, cuddle Kev and have yet another cup of tea.

Onwards and downwards girls, onwards and downwards.

Best love, Crabbycams.

on

Day 34 in the BSD house.

Hello fellow recruits. I do hope you are all feeling better/more positive. Sending you all positive thoughts and love.

Lost 2 lbs this week .

Non scale victory…I can no longer get away with wearing my size 22/24 skirts and undies. They won’t stay up. Luckily I have a couple of size 20 skirts that I like as a back up so I won’t be indecent (ditto undies).

I will say one thing in favour of this whole BSD thing; I am losing visible inches as well as weight off the scale. 😁😁😁😁

Wishing you all fab Fridays.

FFBB X

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Glad your kitchen is back open Liz , I’m in for a cuppa , notice Nonna Mary asked you to put the kettle on , hope she’s still there .
    Yes so glad I joined the Army , we are an Armed Force , so bring on the enemy I say .
    I hear the BOOZE BRIGADE are p… weak , and THE PANIC ATTACKS are just a bunch of Pussies , just when they think theyve got you , they retreat like cowards !
    We’re used to rations , so that other enemy you mentioned Liz , is no longer A STRONG FORCE !
    That being said there’s no point in any of them trying to bringing STRESS into it , as we have unlimited resources to deal heavily with ‘ them ” .
    I see a time coming , when more will be wanting to JOIN UP , when word gets out that we’ve got just about all corners of the Globe covered , we are unbeatable , we are unstoppable , and we will never SURRENDER !
    Number : H66

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB…well done…inches and pounds…your hard work is paying off.

H66…you are very eloquent and I love your resistance to the enemy. You are so right, we are stronger together.

Crabby, (we must find a sweeter nickname for you), the poo problems are a nuisance but at least I have all my limbs etc. It is more embarassing than anything. It is difficult to explain to people why I don’t eat at cafes etc. and travelling is a major planning exercise. I used to live in Essex and knew every toilet stop on every route back to the Midlands.

I think we should petition for a like button for this forum!

Take care everyone.
    Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Troops, Had a wonderful day today! Instead of continuing the battle to sort the house Kev and I went out for lunch at a proper French restaurant (poached salmon plate with salad–well done Lizzie) tho’ Kev the bastard had the same…..and a small plate of assorted pastry samples with a drizzle of cream. I snatched the cream and drank all 2 ounces of it as he reached for it. He didn’t mind. Then we returned home, picked up our Rosie and went for a walk down the road by the lake. We sat on the bench, gazed out at the lake, felt the sun and were mindful of the moments. Kev pulled me closer and offered “We’re getting there Liz, we’re getting there.” On the way home he stopped the car and said he just had to run into the market. Returning with a bag, he wouldn’t say what was in it so I’m thinking something of a delicate nature like heat rash ball powder or athlete’s foot cream. Kev’s a bit funny about that sort of stuff. When we got home I dove into the powder room for a pee (typical) and bellowed mid-stream “KEV CAN YOU GET THE KETTLE ON” (typical). Emerging from toilet, still sorting my various layers, I entered the kitchen to see my Kev, his apron on, a silly chef’s hat we picked up years ago atop his head, holding a plate with 6 pitted cherries in one hand and a can of aerosol redi-whip cream in the other (his market purchase.) Then in a silly French accent said “Might I suggest a little food for the soul for Madame.” With that I stuffed the cherries into my mouth and blasted 40 calories and 3 grams of carbs directly into my soul.
    Days are what we make them. The only expectation we have to meet is our own. And the simplest gestures can bring such joy.

I’m just going to bed here at 12:45am Saturday morning and many of you are just getting your morning kettle on. The day may well test you but picture us, an army of impenetrable strength, arms linked, shoulders braced and heads bowed to meet the challenge, soldiering forth. Together and undivided. Come the end of the day we’ll celebrate. If one of us falls, the rest will gather around and carry you until you feel ready to get your feet on the ground and walk on, arms linked again. Just as you did for me. You bandaged the damage of my fears and for that I will always be thankful.
    Much love,
    Aerosol Liz
    Wait, that sound like arsehole.
    Okay, let’s go with Soul Food Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done to Kev! Men like that are life savers. You are getting there and you are wonderful.

Love Nonna Mary,
    xxxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Liz
    It’s wonderful to have you back.

I have only just managed to get internet connection its very hit and miss whether we get a connection but we are on holiday and life is too short
    I am sorry to hear of your troubles but it sounds like in usual Liz style you have them under control.
    I love the image of us all striding together arm in arm. So much so I was a bit terry earlier and had to retire to the bathroom claiming I had something in my eye.
    I don’t know how I am doing weight wise as there are no scales but my clothes are no tighter. my youngest god daughter is doing wonders for my fitness as its 20 lengths of the pool before breakfast. The pool is tiny but I can now do 10 front crawl! It’s been years since I could do anything like that.

I am trying to limit the carbs as much as possible but its not easy! I dont want to be a pain as others are on holiday too
    Going to restart in earnest once home

Love to all

Madmare
    !

on

Private Lee reporting for duty….

I have the amazing mental picture of us all standing a top a hill of some kind, arms linked and a beautiful sunset behind us. I would love to actually do that one day but the mental vision sustains me and makes me smile. I shall call it cherry πŸ’ cream hill.

So, I started 22nd May and have today made the decision to up my daily calorie intake to 1000 per day. I know I’m not at goal yet but I’m nearly there and I’m hoping that a slight increase will help with the niggling health issues I’ve been having. They are not major in the same way some of you are suffering but I do want to feel good. Plus, I think it will help my long term journey towards maintenance. I refuse to gain weight again and tbh, I can’t afford to. I would have nothing to wear (and trust me, naked is not a look I can rock anymore. I look like I need a really good iron…..😱)

Now, I’m a quasi scientist and I wish cloning was in my field of expertise. If it was, I suspect Jovis and Kev would feature 🀣🀣

Lazy weekend for me. Currently curled up with a Tudors box set (totally trashy but the only junk I can enjoy right now!😈) I’ve had two hard boiled eggs and feel very sated.

Have a great day. Cherry πŸ’ anyone?

L 😘

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Good Morning!
    Lee I fucking love the Tudors series–great way to spend the day!!!
    Joe’s Nonna give Jovis a hug from me. You have a lovely one too and they patiently stand beside us despite all of our oddities and moods. They aren’t perfect but neither are we.
    Madmare–well done on the swimming!! It’s truly one of the best exercises. I still feel a bit self-conscious about being in a bathing suit but I’m working on that.
    Hello 66 “Sub Liztenant” I LOVE IT!!! we share a sense of humour!
    Kev and I are treating ourselves to a day at the cottage. I got up and, though we planned to spend the day puttering about the house trying to carve some manner of order from the chaos, thought ‘fuck it’ and packed a picnic. We have a cottage on an island about 2 hours NW of Toronto and, given the weather, it would be madness not to visit on such a lovely sunny day. We’ll return late this evening and may commit to chores tomorrow. I’ve packed a healthy low carb picnic for the beach so bye for now.
    Remember troops, in moments of weakness just link arms, dip your shoulder, jaw forward and soldier on. We have each other’s back.
    Much love,
    Beach Bum Liz

on

Day 35 in the BSD house.

What follows is my daily report.

Poor day WOE wise. Lunch was grabbed on the run and I pinched a few chips as they were chip shop chips and smelt heavenly and tasted fabulous (mind you other people’s chips….am I right?) At least I didn’t go the whole hog and have battered fish as well.

Other than that nothing to report. The weather is typically British today so dodged the showers.

Hope you are all well and remember to file your reports.

*throws a salute*

Private FFBB signing off X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

TEN-SHUN….

Now listen to me you wonderful peoples. You are all great. FFBB I always pinch a couple of chips, it’s the only way I eat them. I don’t like my own, only other peoples and I think it’s allowed lol.

Well, I have painted my nails so my hands look pretty. I am trying to decide what to wear and then Jovis and I are going out to celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary. That means we have been together for 42 years. I wouldn’t have got that for murder! I wouldn’t swap him for anything. I am sorry people, but I will probably enjoy a glass of wine with my meal, then back on the wagon tomorrow. Forgive me for being weak on this day. I can’t deny my Jovis a glass of bubbly…he has been so supportive and I know he enjoys a glass when we go out.

Hello66, You are great and you have taken to military life so well.

EC. Keep on doing what you are doing. It sounds fine.

Liz, enjoy your picnic, it sounds lovely.

Madmare, have a lovely holiday.

Lee, enjoy the Tudors and everything that you do. We are entitled to enjoy ourselves our way, just as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else. I would indeed bottle Jovis and sell him if I could…I would make a fortune!

Now, AT EASE!

March up the Cherry Cream Hill with me tomorrow and we can show the world how great we are!

Love Nonna Mary
    Sargeant at Arms.
    xxxx

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Crabbycams, have you not found the increased fat intake helps?
    (I really wish there was a pm function on here!)

on

Happy anniversary Mary, have a fab evening and enjoy every bite and sip. Love to Jovis.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Just a quick one before midnight to say
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DEAR MARY AND JOVIS , MAY YOU HAVE MANY , MANY MORE WONDERFUL YEARS TOGETHER ,LOVE AND HUGS,
    H66 β€οΈβ€οΈπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’˜πŸ’˜

I will be back ……….

• posted by EC
    on

Good (Aus) morning to all you wonderful women!

What comes through all the recent posts..Liz, Mary (Happy Anniversary!!) Lee, madmare, crabbycrams, ffbb (Ancient Weaver..love the name!) and H66 (hope I didn’t miss anyone)….is that our fundamental priorities are sound!!
    I also said yes to a glass of bubbles the other night when a friend’s grand-daughter was born while we were all (a bunch of old buddies of over 20 years) having dinner together…her son phoned from Singapore, so with the wonders of modern technology we all saw the brand newbie in all her gorgeousness.

Had a bit of a work breakthrough yesterday, so my anxiety levels are dropping….

Its a glorious, sunny, late winter Sunday here. I’ve been to the farmers market with a mate and will go with Michael and the black and white personal trainer for a long walk in the bush this afternoon.

Like you, Liz, we are living in chaos …..but in the scheme of a life, it’s OK….much to be grateful for!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi everyone,
    Haven’t posted for ages, have been too ashamed! The last few weeks have been really hard emotionally and I caved in to wine and bread, and more wine….and on it went! No real craving for carbs but more about quick and easy with no planning or thought needed!
    Anyaway, although I don’t feel qualified to stand arm in arm with you all, I have been reading your posts every day and as usual they make me laugh and you are all doing so well that I am proud of you! They have also kept me inspired to keep going each day even if that day ends badly.
    Today I have taken back control and I feel like I might be able to do it this time.
    Joes Nona, I am taking to heart something you said about not having a drink ‘today’ then repeating. Simple but brilliant! So here I go again and hope to have something positive to report soon.
    Inka
    PS Joes Nona – happy anniversary you crazy kids!

• posted by EC
    on

oh, dear Inka….no need for shame….we women have spent too much of our lives with that one!
    we have all slipped up in big and small ways (me, both!!)….but get up and start again each day
    So DO stand arm in arm with all of us flawed humans….you deserve it as much as anyone….life is full of stressors and pitfalls….intent, support and moving forward (whether by inches or miles) is what matters. I have relapsed more times than I can count but well….still her with an amazing bunch of women all here arm in arm
    day. by. day.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi Inka
    Don’t be so hard on yourself. I am one of th weak links but once back from/holiday its going to be different.
    Monday 7th August is when I start in earnest
    I really want to do this, I have had the wake up call of what I really look like and its going to change.
    There is so much love and support on this forum, grab someone’s hand and march wih us

MM

PS Hope you had a wonserful time Joes Nonna you deserve it

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Inka,

I am going to add my bit here too. I lapsed last night. Jovis and I shared 2 bottles of wine. I used to drink that on my own, now I have learned to share lol. It is not an easy thing to do…BUT it CAN BE DONE! Eventually you will see the light and stop sabotaging yourself. You have to take heart that you are human and flawed as we all are. There is no perfect person or personality. We are fed an idea from media and other people of who and what and how we should be. What really, really matters is what you want. I used to think I wanted to drink..but I realised it was a habit that was in control of me, once I became in control of IT, I became better in lots of ways.

The idea of one day at a time isn’t mine. It’s from Alcoholics Anonymous. They say just go one day without a drink, everyone can do one day. Then do another day. I amend it to…I will drink on my terms and not as a crutch. Another mantra is …one is too much and two is too many. At our meal last night (which was fantastic and thank you everyone for your best wishes) we had Prosecco, which is like drinking pop…so we both necked it. Back to sobriety today. I also have to say, that although I enjoyed it at the time. I really wish I hadn’t had it. There are very subtle ways that I am not so good today. It really is Satan’s Piss!

Chin up chuck….we are here for you and there is a space next to me where you can link arms. We can all march arm in arm knowing that we are humans and all that entails.

Lots of love,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. Jovis and I had a lovely evening. We enjoy each others company and it is quite a rare thing for us to go out.

Keeping the BSD in mind, I had Dover Sole and vegetables and Jovis had Steak Rossini. He has supported me so much throughout this Way of Life, that he no longer eats potatoes, rice or pasta. He still has bread of course and last night he ate the Roast Potatoes (although not many as his tastes have changed).

We were home by 9:30 and in bed an hour later. Thank you again for your good wishes. Back on the plan today though.

I have just spent half an hour trying to share pictures from last night but I can’t. Sorry.

Thanks again,

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

on

Morning team!

Mary, I’m delighted you and the lovely Jovis kicked back and enjoyed your special evening. Congrats on your anniversary.

Inka, no shame here. The reason we are all so open and amusingly honest is the fact that we don’t judge each other. It’s a totally safe, supportive environment and it keeps me sane. Link with us. You won’t regret it.

Weekly weigh in for me today and it’s a 600gram gain for me. I’m expecteding some fluctuations while my body gets used to the increase in calories. I’m giving it a week and if it’s another gain next week then I shall reassess.

Have a great day everyone xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done Lee…only 600 grams….that could be water! Thank you for your warm wishes.

love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hello fellow Soldiers , good to meet you Inka , please don’t feel ashamed for trying to solve your emotional hard times with food and alcohol , we’ve all done it and we will probably do it again , I almost did as recently as last night .
    I had a bad day yesterday , & a night of insomnia to follow , mind wouldn’t switch off , almost wishing I had some wine to ‘ wined ( wind ) me down , thought crossed my mind many times over , perhaps I should just get up and have a glass of wine , only for its relaxing and sedative effects of course , question was though would it be a good idea ?
    As time passed by , another hour , then another , then another , my darling lying beside me blissfully unaware , snoring his dear old head off , not making it any easier , so it was getting very close to being a really good idea and then …..
    I saw her clearly , there she was …. Our 5 Star General Liz , appeared out of nowhere at my time of need , momentarily I felt like a guilty little kid , so I shrank down under the doona , hoping she wouldn’t see me , & decided that was probably not a good idea after all !
    I wondered what she’d say to me , it came to me that she would suggest linking arms , and marching it out .
    I pictured us all supposedly marching it out & what I saw was so comical , I felt like laughing aloud .
    I saw us all ambling along at different paces , all totally out of step , some of us more agile than others , different shapes and sizes , some short , some tall like our 5 Star General , looking more like a bunch of misfits , rather than a respected Army Unit !
    What I felt though was the best , there we were all hanging onto each other for dear life , and no one was going to fall !
    I must have drifted off with that thought , I don’t remember , but I do know I awoke feeling energised , despite the lack of sleep for most of the night .
    Our march of the uncoordinated , was the best sedative , so thanks heaps everyone .
    So glad you and Jovis had a great Anniversary Mary , the meals sounded delish , & the wine , so good that you can have it now and again without it beckoning you over and over πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
    Every time I think of Jovis and Mary , I’m reminded of a lovely Bible story about Mary and Joseph , & just wonder….

Left wondering ,
    H 66

on

Day 36 in the BSD house.

Not much to report, ate totally off plan again at lunch time and my system is starting to rebel (gastro issues).

The plan is to commit to August fully…. one day at a time.

July’s daily average is less than 1000 calories so I am proper chuffed with that.

All the best,

FFBB X

on

Oh my. Feeling a bit despondent today. Have looked it up and to maintain my current weight I can have 1500 calories per day. That’s it. For the rest of my life. Wow!

Now I know that CAN actually be a lot of food. This WOE has taught me that. It’s just that years of yo yo diets had 1500 as the magic number to lose 1-2lbs per week. I figured on more when I reached goal. Guess that’s why I got so big in the first place 🀣🀣

So, definitely no more booze for me. It stimulates my appetite, smashes my willpower and upsets my stomach and quite frankly I’d rather eat my calories!!!

Sunday obviously the day of revelations. H66, you are probably right. I’m blaming Mary and Jovis! 🀣

L xx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Just read your post Lee , & felt your despondency at the thought of 1500 being the magic number that will keep you where you’ve worked so hard to get to , on one hand you know 1500 can be a whole lot of food , on the other you’re thinking Its not that much !
    I’ve tried various diets over the years and the one thing I’ve always looked forward to with any of them was THE END , where I could just get back to ‘ normal eating and drinking ‘ , back to the real world where I could eat and drink whatever , whenever , and of course slowly & surely , back came the weight , plus a little more .
    With this I believe there is NO END , there is only a beginning , the beginning of a new way of life where we are not being carb driven on the booze bus.
    Your beginning here is fantastic , you plan to stay off the bus and you’ve list over a stone ! Fantastic πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    😘H66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Ps : Lost not list !

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi all you lovely ladies, I wanted to say thank you for all your words of kindness and support. You have buoyed me up!
    I’m doing pretty well, halfway through day 2 of my absolute restart. Last night my husband said ‘would you like a drink?’ And I said ‘NO THANK YOU’ and I will say the same tonight. Also turned down the kids offer of ice cream πŸ˜‡
    So I am gratefully taking those outstretched arms, I look forward to supporting you all too!
    Xxxx Inka

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hello fellow warriors. Today the website is allowing me to post.

Love all the posts of successes varied and joyful and the anniversary.

Had a challenging weekend carb wise. Lots of travelling, sleeping badly, tired, and hangry so reached for easy fix = bread, albeit with capsicum, cheese and garlic spread on it. Then with Vegeimite, then with marmalade, then with some very old, but delicious, quince jelly that has almost become paste. BS readings reflected the addiction; weight no change from last week.

Must try harder to be better organised and sleep better while travelling. Only three more weekends to go of the Sydney dash and jewellery course. Then it’s of to Canberra for a week, but I can take my bed (Siesta chair – see Hamacas Barcelona) and food with me.

Cold and wet today. Salmon and veg for dinner. Time for the Monday chores now so Corporal Crabbycams signing off.

BTW for those who don’t like the name, ‘crabby’ is related to my star sign and ‘cams’ are initials. But for those who prefer, CC will do nicely.

• posted by Augurswelljan
    on

Good morning, this is my first time on this forum. I just discovered the BSD book and one of my main difficulties when following any diet is my love of G&T. I am known to all of our friends as the gin aficionado, I have a special cupboard (for crying out loud) to keep all of my wonderful craft gins. I don’t have an Advent calendar I have a Ginvent calendar at Christmas. A day doesn’t pass without several glasses of the diamond spirit. However, I have decided enough is enough ….. time to take stock. I am hoping that this is the turning point. It’s not going to be easy as my hubby and I are both party animals, we have a frantic social lifestyle and there is always another social event on the horizon. No more excuses! I will read this forum for inspiration and I will post from time to time and let you all know how I’m doing on this rocky road.

• posted by EC
    on

good evening everyone
    CC..thanks for the clarification on the name….and yes, sometimes so hard to stay to plan when disorganised (hey spellcheck…that’s the Aus/UK spelling!!!!) or on the move
    Welcome Augurswelljan….what a lovely (sigh) addiction!…but this group will set you on the path of righteousness and into feeling better than fab!!!…it does augur well for you for sure!

I had a grant application due tonight (deadline midnight and pressed “submit” at 8pm) so feeling relieved….BUT the pain in my overused computer muscles led me to a glass (OK two) of red…..took me over today’s calories…..but tomorrow I am back with my great bunch of lovelies
    Food is going fine despite the lack of a proper kitchen (more incidental exercise walking across where the kitchen floor used to be to the stove in the hallway and back to the office and the only table to eat off where the microwave also is!)….it will be worth it…an tomorrow am taking the morning off to look for tiles for the splashback (weeks away, but need the fun)
    hot bath beckons……

on

ay 37 in the BSD house.

Successful day WOE wise, I didn’t have any spinach and must confess I didn’t miss it in the tomato sauce. In fact spinach is now off my menu as the sauce was nicer without it. I may add green cabbage instead.

I still had alcohol in July but plan on abstaining in August (I know…famous last words FFBB!)

One day at a time.

FFBB out. X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone. I had the second part of my root canal work today so feeling a bit down in the mouth (see what I did there?)
    CC, that sounds so much better than Crabby lol…it must be difficult to stick to a diet at times like this so be easy on yourself and only do what you can.
    Inka….bloody well done! Keep on keeping on.
    EC…you must be at your wits end. I had my kitchen done last year and spent a month camping in the living room with my two dogs (one an American Akita and the other a Labrador). I think I went nose blind to dog smells.
    FFBB…good luck for August, I am sure you can do it.
    Hello66…You describe your vision of us so well I can see it too. I get great comfort reading everyone’s posts.

My weigh day tomorrow but I do not expect to have lost any weight. I have an episode of my IBS at the moment and am a little backed up, plus the alcohol on Saturday…although the food was on course (see I did it again). I will let you know either way.

That’s all for now. Take care and keep smiling. Apologies if I have forgotten anyone.

Love to all,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Comrades I’m just checking in , all seem to be going pretty well great to hear you’ve been able to say NO THANK YOU Inka , a great start .
    CC you will find it much easier when your tripping to and fro finishes , travelling is always tricky , you’ll see your BS levels improve then , a bonus not gaining weight at least this week .
    augurswelljan , I keep thinking that sounds like ‘ all goes well Jan ‘ , so do hope that’s what happens here , we are all here to support and be supported , to encourage and be encouraged , so a warm welcome from me , look forward to hearing more from you .
    EC – The 2 glasses of red sounded like the perfect treatment for those over used computer muscles , hope the tile shopping was therapeutic , and successful .
    FFBB you’ve going well food wise which is great , and you have a plan to abstain from alcohol in August , a plan is a great start , so best of luck with that .
    Mary all love to you , 😘 no one enjoys canal work , so you had more than one reason to feel down in the mouth 😁
    These dentist visits leave you feeling numb don’t they ?!
    Perhaps some Metamucil & lots of water intake may address the IBS no πŸ’© problem ?
    Do hope all is going well for everyone else .
    Love H 66
    Read a nice little saying before : Remember how far you’ve come , not just how far you have to go

• posted by Augurswelljan
    on

Hello all! Well I admit last night we entertained friends to dinner and the latest episode of Game of Thrones (together with gin, GOT is my guilty pleasure). We imbibed rather too much of the demon drink but today is both 1st August but also the first day of my attempt at abstinence – we shall see how long it lasts.
    I feel for those who are going through trials and tribulations from kitchen installations (it’ll look wonderful when it’s finished) to root canals (been there and the pain was worse than the 42 hour labour I went through giving birth). Have an excellent day everyone.
    Xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi everyone, well I knew I wasn’t going to lose, but didn’t expect to gain a pound. I have also increased by an inch on my waist and hips. Still it is never easy for me to lose weight, so I will not be downhearted…I will prevail… I will march with you all towards weight loss and sobriety. Really girls, I know it isn’t easy to stop drinking, but it really does you no good. Look at me…a weight gain for ONE NIGHTS drinking. Waste of calories and time. All the hard work I did to resist and I am repaid with a weight gain.

Yes it gives you a buzz at first, then you need more and more to get that buzz. Once Satan’s Piss gets hold of you it rots your Liver, mangles your guts and buggers up your blood sugars. We need to take a hold and say “NO MORE!” We can and will do this.

The next time you think about having a drink….imagine a glass of vomit! It helps believe me.

Anyway, rant over. Good luck on your various endeavours.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Kitty Malne
    on

Hello ladies, sorry haven’t been around but rest assured all is well. Still off booze,carbs and caffeine! 1st weigh in and I’ve lost 5 lb so that’s my reward😎
    First weekend was a challenge but I came through😎
    My challenge this weekend is to visit a much loved friend, but, I’ve told her my rules so I’m sure she’ll help me( whilst easting crisps, chocolate & swigging prossecco πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚)
    Hope you are all well
    Love Kitty 🐱

Please log in or register to post a reply.