My proper start date and my 8 Week Diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by quinnt
    on

I downloaded this book whilst on holiday. I got back last Tue and jumped on the scales which came in at 126 kg so sort of started the following day but ended up having Chinese (my will power). On Thu morning weighed myself and I was 124 kg so maybe the flight I had retained water. Stuck to it Thu with about 800 calories. Friday morning had lost another 1.2 kg and went over at about 900 calaories, Sat morning weighed 122.4, Sat had about 600 calories and Sun morning was down to 121.7 kg. Yesterday was difficult has had a friend from Slovenia coming for a meal and I overate. This morning the scales weighed me in at 124 kg. Sticking to it now – I am off from University till the beginning of October and intend to crack this Diabetes. My blood sugars have dropped from 10.3 to 7.3 at the end of last week. Not tested today but will do again in the morning.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Welcome to the BSD and the forums quinnt. This way of life really does work.
    The first 1-2 weeks are the hardest and if you can manage it (you know, the social stuff) it’s much easier on you not to switch back and forth between eating styles.
    Can I suggest that you look for the thread ‘this has to work for me’. Bill1954 started the thread and (as well as many others) he is a true inspiration. Recently Bill posted ‘before and after’ photos of himself – living proof that this works.
    Once you’re settled in to the diet you no longer have to worry about will power because you just don’t have that unrelenting hunger.
    Very best wishes to you.

• posted by quinnt
    on

Thanks Switzerland – I thought I had posted yesterday but obviously didn’t press submit.
    Day 3 – weighed 121.4 so since return from holiday have lost over 10 lbs in a week. My FBS was 7 yesterday but up to 8.2 this morning obviously still trying to settle down.
    I find it hard to walk any distance because of the claudication in both my legs but managed over a mile on Monday and 3/4 of a mile yesterday. Will do another mile today but have gardening to do for several hours today.
    I have spent several hours reading the various posts on the site and you are all a great inspiration to me. My personal 8 week goal is for 20 kg but more importantly is the BS levels and riding myself of diabetes. I don’t really get bad hunger pains and tend to go 17-18 hours fasting.

• posted by quinnt
    on

I had read Bill1954 about the BS problems he faced at the beginning with nighttime readings and fasting readings which tended to go up. So last night I tested 4 hours after eating and my BS 5.8 then tested this morning 12 hours later and 7.5.
    Did walk over a mile again and although I got the claudication pain, I had walked further and it did not last as long and managed the walk 9 mins quicker so was well pleased.
    Jumped on the scales again and lost another 0.7 kg so now down to 120.7 so under 19 st.

• posted by quinnt
    on

Thanks Daniel

First week done total loss of 4.3 kg (<9 lbs) very pleased. I only tested BG once since last post and that was after a meal, was meant to wait for 2 hours but did it after 1 1/2 hours and was amazed that it was 5.9. My eating went a bit off track over the weekend which I ate more calories but no carbs.
    Back on it properly today with a walk/exercise thrown in.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

I am shedding a tear for your success. What a sec? I am a guy! Guys don’t get so Gone With The Wind emotional! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am more of an Anna Karenina or Dr. Zhivago tear jerker than Brett Butler, though! ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope doctor oz opened a good view on why you and everyone else is doing this stuff. Not just the outside, also the inside of your body.

His TV show got a lot of flack from the medical industry that wants you hooked on fructose corn syrup and sugar. I have to say in my opinion that he does good for the medical community by informing us simpletons on important info and easy tricks to better health.

This week I should be getting my scale and glucose meter. Cheaper on Ebay or Jet, but takes longer to get.I sinned last night grabbing 3 Velveeta slices last night as a snack an hour before bed. But, alls well that ends well. Atleast I disowned my two best friends: Ben and Jerry! We are not friends anymore! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Daniel

• posted by quinnt
    on

Second week done and feeling good. Lost 2kg this week – walked 5 miles last week. Planning to up that to 6.5 this week. Blood pressure is coming down 142/88, still high but down, not taking BP medicine but convinced I can achieve normal BP by losing weight and exercise, the bigger issue for me is the kidney nephropathy which according to what I have read is irreversible but if I can stop it getting worse that will be an achievement.
    Thanks for the video Daniel, it is amazing how we can correct the damage we have done to our livers. I have a diabetic check up this month and will ask the doctor if I can get another liver scan (although I have read that it can take up to 7 years to come back to normal) but hopefully if will show a reduction of visceral fat around the liver.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Very welcome Quinnt! The livers take a lot of crap and a hard beating from everything in your body. Think of it as the vacuum that cleans up all the crud and toxins we eat everyday.

I have not done an MRI on the liver and pancreas yet. I really should do so myself. Visceral fat on these 2 organs is very much like ivy growing around your maple or fir tree: It suffocates it for a long time and after a long term suffocation it drops dead. Watch the many many videos of this website for an American TV Show:

droz.com

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by quinnt
    on

End of week 3 and lost 1.5 kg – Total 7.8.
    FBS 6.3 (I know this will drop later in the morning to mid 5s) which I am rally pleased with, and testing once a week for a reaction 2 hours after a meal which comes under 6.
    Managed about 6 miles this week, I did an 70 minute walk as well on Friday not fast but no stopping and kept going – this is amazing considering the claudication. Seems that after 200 metres I am in absolute agony for another 200m or so before the pain becomes a dull ache and I can get back to a sort of normal pace for me.
    I also laid 1/2 a tonne of concrete which is a lot of lifting and mixing – another 1/2 tonne this week – then I might have to visit a gym. One worrying thing after concreting was my BP had dropped to 127/87 which should have risen and might be an underlying heart condition.
    The fat around my belly is going down and has become much looser, and a pair of shorts I couldn’t get into on holiday fit really well, so the inches are coming off as well.
    My next target for this week is to get under 115Kg which was the weight I was 24 years ago when I left the Army.

• posted by Frog
    on

Well done on the weight loss Quinnt – it’s fun when clothes start fitting properly (or even feeling loose again!)
    The concrete sounds hard work – well done on that!

I was looking at blood pressure stats last week, as I’d measured mine.
    If anything yours sounds a little bit on the high side, but if that was measured directly after the concrete activity, that may explain it – most guidelines suggest that you should be relaxed & to sit quietly before taking the reading.
    Mine fell about five points between arriving the surgery, just a leisurely ten minute walk from home, and again about five minutes later – and that was with the stress of the machine not printing out the results and waiting anxiously before I discovered that someone had forgotten to put any paper in.

I found the following guides, which corresponded to the ones on the machine in my GP surgery:
    Normal Blood Pressure
    Systolic: Less than 120
    Diastolic: Less than 80
    http://foenix.com/BP/is-127/87-good-blood-pressure-or-high-blood-pressure.html
    for ranges for pre and high blood pressure

• posted by quinnt
    on

Hi
    Two days late this week due to job interview. Thanks for that Frog – the raised BP is something to do with kidney damage, the problem is they want me to take a pill that can cause even more kidney damage.
    Week 4 – 1.8 kg total loss 9.8 kg – test BS 2 hours after eating and raises to 8-9 down to 5.3 so pleased with that. Resting BP 135/88. Resting Pulse is now 56.
    Went off the rails on Sunday with family BBQ, I ate loads of meat and salad but no carbs. So would have lost about 2.3 kg without that but felt in control.
    Did over 7 miles of walking, the claudication pain is coming later in the walk and does not last as long.
    The really pleasing thing is that I am the lightest I have been in 24 years since leaving the Army. Went shopping yesterday and bought some shorts and trousers for next Summer which are 6-8 inches less that what I had for this year.
    Picking up a rowing machine from a friend this Friday so will incorporate that into a daily exercise routine.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Quinnt
    good luck with the meds – I went through about two years of a cycle of being prescribed one med that caused another problem, then the med for the second problem kicked up something else…. thankfully it all got resolved without the serious surgery that was being advised at one stage.
    Lots of meat and salad with no carbs doesn’t sound too serious – if you avoided the temptations of all the dips, sauces and rolls sounds like a quite a good result, even if the portions took you over the 800.
    Good news that the circulation problems seem to be improving – being nearly 10kg lighter must be helping with that.

• posted by quinnt
    on

End of week 5
    Another 1.5 kg off – Total 11.2 – weight now 112.8.
    FBS was 6.1 at 1000 hrs at 0800 it is 6.5, 0900 hrs – 6.3 and by 1100 hrs it is under 6, so still being affected by the liver dumping in the morning.
    I managed over 8 miles walking and the claudication seems to be getting better – further distance till the pain kicks in and not lasting as long.
    I am due a diabetic review at some stage and part of me is desperate to see what my figures are but also know the longer it is left the better the results will be.

• posted by quinnt
    on

End of week 6 – 1.2 kg off – Total 12.4 – weight now 111.6
    End of week 7 – 1.4 kg off – Total 13.8 – weight now 110.2
    End of week 8 – 1.7 kg off – Total 15.5 – weight now 109.5

FBS are now under 6. Most weeks walking over 8 miles. Claudication pain is still there but comes later and doesn’t last as long.

Now into size 38 trousers. Blood test yesterday so will be interested in the results.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant results, quinnt. Congratulations! You must be really pleased to see the effects. Hope the blood test results are positive too.

• posted by quinnt
    on

Not sure what week I am on now but now down to 107.2kg. The blood test now showing my HBac1 is 39 after exactly 8 weeks so no doubt continuing to fall, the kidney function has improved since the last test, trying to walk up to 12 miles a week now and the claudication is improving and ED is also showing signs of improvement. My cholesterol has improved but needs further improvement but triglycerides are now 1.8 when a few years ago were 49.4. The Doctor has said that it was amazing seeing such a marked improvement which she has only seen with those who have gastric surgery. She was going to recommend this diet to her other patients. I know I don’t come on here very often but I hope that these results may encourage others who are just starting out on their journey. I never mentioned before but my wife has been following the diet as well, she is a non diabetic but last year was diagnosed with heart failure and she has managed to lose over 31 lbs in the same time, this is amazing because of one of the drugs she takes means she should gain weight.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Fabulous, quinnt and Mrs quinnt!!!!

Fantastic results you must be absolutely thrilled! So pleased your GP has seen the results and is impressed enough to recommend to other patients – we will get there in the end!

and 31 pounds in 8 weeks, whilst taking weight-gaining drugs!

YAY

well, that’s all there is to say, really! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.