My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Great news about the weight loss. πŸ˜ƒ

There seems to be a lot of those folk around who know better than us😱 But our results will speak for themselves.

Today I took my ladies’ group on a ‘mystery trip’. We went to Scarborough for a fish and chips lunch, then Whitby (they wanted something sweet!) I sat with a black coffee while they ate their fish and chips – the pensioners’ special. I had looked at the menu, but there was nothing I could eat, not even anything I fancied! I was asked how I could sit with coffee while they ate and my response was – “practice!”

In Whitby I went into a cafe with a couple of the ladies and they had apple turnover and a chocolate eclair, while I had – black coffee!

I had bottles of water in my bag and something quick to prepare in the fridge for when I got home.

But on the minibus I was offered sweets with “go on, treat yourself”.

Strangely enough that attitude – the comments and the looks – make me even more determined to stick with this way of life. It’s not that long ago that I’d have been tucking into the fish and chips, cakes and ice cream without batting an eyelid, then suffering the consequences. But realising how much better I feel without all that rubbish, I know it’s not worth it.

I started this thinking I could try anything for 8 weeks. After all, what is 8 weeks! But now I can’t imagine any other way of lifeπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    I love your honesty.
    I’m still chuckling about Bill in a minions onesie…..the more I think about it the more I laugh…..the funny bit being that I don’t know what Bill looks like so how can I know what he would look like in the onesie! (All respect to you Bill if you’re reading this. To stop my mind speculating I’m thinking of a James Bond/George Clooney type in a minions onesie).
    I hope the roses are smelling sweet Lucia, they certainly are here.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Well everybody,
    I finished my 8 weeks yesterday. Pros : lost 16 lbs., no more reflux, no hunger like before, so therefor no uncontrolled eating, blood sugar readings not quite perfect, but pretty good, have not had any insulin since day 1. Cons : sleep no better, energy no better, arthritis, osteoarthritis no better. I am a cancer survivor, had a total hip replacement, partially blind , so I guess the small cons are not that important. I might have finishes my 8 weeks, but will keep on yet for a while, just take it from day to day until I feel confident enough to taste a little more….I suspect the first thing will be a glass of sauvignon blanc with lunch [ we eat our main meal at lunch time ] , have missed that a bit. The funny thing about all this is my husband….he hasn’t been on this diet, but shared most lunches but added some potato, etc., eaten whenever he wished, some junk, and he has lost 12 lbs. !!
    I have enjoyed all your posts and support along the way and will continue to read them. I must say that I have never seen such support and encouragement from strangers, although I don’t think of you as strangers anymore, just like a big family.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Special thanks to Hashimoto and bill1954 for setting me straight in the beginning of my journey.

Warm regards, Jilly

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s an inspiring post, Lynne! : )

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Jillyb and congratulations on completing 8 weeks on the BSD! There are quite a lot of us who have continued after the initial 8 weeks. I bet your hubby hasn’t eaten as many carbs as usual if he has lost 12 lbs! You have done well by both of you : )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Fabulous Jillyb and no need for any special thanks πŸ˜‰
    All we are doing is trying to offer support to everyone in exactly the same way as we received it when we started, but personally, I get a great big kick when I see the transition from nervous starter to full blown BSD’er with a major success story.
    Looking forward to hearing your progress over the 8 week line.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    At least you didn’t visualise him in lack socks with a hole in, and his toes sticking out and… A pair of y fronts pulled up to under his armpits
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Yes, I think bill is more James Bond in a minions onesie. But with all those bananas he will be shaken and stirred!!
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi jilly b,
    Isn’t it fun being on the end of 8 weeks knowing you have stuck at it.
    I usually get bored after a fortnight and move on to other things.
    The I regret it.
    Thanks for sharing the ups and the downs.
    Have you done a blog in the vets section yet?

Once again, congratulations on getting here.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

James Bond/George Clooney ? y fronts? minions onesies????
    Think more Rennie from allo allo and as for the onesie …. it got too big so it’s in the charity shop πŸ™‚
    Aint used Y fronts since I was about 8

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi captain Lynn
    Love the will power as it must have been difficult surrounded by pensioners with bags of boiled sweets.

In most fish and chip shops they have a microwave to nuke the pies.
    In an emergency, to stop a fight, I will ask them for a fish , no batter, microwaved.
    That way, I get something healthy.

I hate being with people who argue for you to gave something, go on, just this once, just a small one, you have to have something, you are starving.
    😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
    That’s how I got this fat.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yes, very well done Captainlynne – although I find it surprising that I’m not necessarily feeling hungry in the middle of the day on the BSD – or at least not as much as I was before.

I think people press things on you because ‘they’ feel bad about your strength of mind, and it justifies their having the treat themselves. So it’s about ‘them’ not ‘you’. As you say, best to say something like ‘really not very hungry, but please you carry on, don’t let me stop you”

• posted by Sandie
    on

Lucia I am in the early stages of the eight weeks and I am finding you blog reassuring.

• posted by Sandie
    on

After reading throught these messages I know this WILL work for me.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I went out with my two old friends today, we had lunch, I had chicken wrapped in bacon with a cheese sauce and salad, one friend had lasagne, she has recently had cancer and is remission, she struggles to put weight on! Oh what a lovely dilemma to have! My other friend is overweight has a husband with diabetics, and both of them have numerous health issues, she has asked and listened to my experiences on the bsd diet yet can’t bring herself to do it or do it with and for her husband, I find it really hard to keep my mouth shut! After a few times talking about it I figure there is no point flogging a dead horse!
    I have lost three pounds since Sunday, so my being ‘good’ seems to be working!
    You might get a few posts! I keep forgetting what I’m replying to! It’s an age thing of course!
    Will ‘speak’ again soon.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi jillyb,
    Well done, and well done to your husband, I hope you continue on the diet and get some relief from lack of sleep etc. I also have osteoporosis, however I haven’t any problems with it on the diet, so I can’t help in that department sorry.
    You have to look at how much you have lost in the eight weeks you have been on the diet, it is good amount, if you break it down that’s 2lbs a week, I sometimes lost ounces! Which was very disappointing, I carried on though, had plateaus, then suddenly like this week I have lost three pounds, there is no rhyme or reason why this happens, so hang in there you will get there in the end!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi igorasusual,
    Good advice, I will try and remember that next time that happens to me! Thank you.
    Christine

• posted by jul
    on

You could try some blueberries with natural yoghurt and a teaspoon of flaxseed on top it’s quite feeling but also very satisfying,as I am not a morning person I find this so quick and easy to do, I also prepare my lunch the night before aswell to save time I find prepping this while waiting for tea to cook saves a lot of time and fuss later on. Good luck I’m sure you will do great. X Julie

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    Now that I have found success on this diet, I want to tell everyone.
    I just don’t understand why they are not doing it right now that I have told them about it.

But

Why didn’t I do it at Christmas, or last year or three years ago?

It is because I wasn’t emotionally ready to accept this.
    I think your mind has to be ready to do this or you will never get past day one.

I do understand we want to help everyone as we have found something so magically special.
    As long as you give them brief details and say you are ready to chat to them whenever they are ready.

I had people tell me for years it’s just cutting back food. I understand that but I wasn’t ready for it.

People reading these blogs may not be ready to start today, but their minds are slowly coming into alignment. Spending a few more hours and days reading the blogs, they will soon be ready.
    They will know when, then they will come on board and enjoy doing it.

So so Christie 1948 , you are not flogging a dead horse, they are just needing a little more time to get their brains in gear. It won’t be long. In the meantime enjoy more of your journey so you can share it all with a lot more people.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi sandie,

Welcome and come on in, the waters fine!
    I think the best thing about my experience is that I have ENJOYED the ride.
    I am a happier person.

I was miserable being a zombie watching the telly 24/7. Not moving, being indoors. Stale.
    Now I am an official puddle basher and I am light hearted, I laugh, I overdose on fresh air it is GREAT.

So cut the carbs, count the calories, move a bit but most importantly SMILE.

Good luck, and like all your friends here on the website, we are waiting to hear and share in your successes and squiffy times.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh and drink a lot of water.
    In the early days, it helps you in the ….. Bathroom department.
    😊😊😊😊😊😊
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Tonight I have been out to the pub with friends.
    I laughed, joked, had fun and did it sipping one small Pepsi.

Calories were in my allotted 800.

I have come a long way.

One evening this week, see if you can go out in the evening, even if it is to walk to the end of your path, your road.
    Enjoy the evening air.
    Listen to the blackbirds having a fit.
    Smell the scented stocks. Enjoy just being.

Go on, go for it.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Going to bed now as I am up at 5:30 tomorrow.

Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite!

What a weird expression.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Frog
    on

I went to a restaurant with friends this evening – I’d factored in one glass of prosecco, then drank two, but overall only 850 cals for the day.
    Delicious sea bass with tomato, aubergine and a courgette salad.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi frog,
    That’s the way to go.
    So you can go out to a restaurant , enjoy yourself and keep to the diet.

Last night, going to the pub, want about drinking, it was about laughing and gossiping, and banter and fun!

Always remember a huge portion of laughter has ZERO calorie and ZERO carbs, so have a bowl of it three times a day!!!!!

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Sounds like a nice meal you hadπŸ˜ƒ Well done on the weight lossπŸ˜ƒ

I agree it can be infuriating when people we know could benefit from this way of life just don’t listen. But like Lucia says, at one time neither would we.

We’re the lucky ones. We found the BSD in its earliest days. Not only did we find it, but when we read it something in us just ‘clicked’ and we embraced the BSD with open arms. It was the right thing at the right time for so many of us.

Some of us have been following this now for nearly 6 months 😱 I don’t think I’ve ever stuck to a ‘diet’ for that long in the past! But as many are saying – this is my new way of life. This is how I’ll be eating forever.

Like you, I’ve had the BSD conversation with lots of people. They listen, nod, then tuck into their favourite poison – sorry, carbs😱 They’ve not reached the point that so many of us reached where we just knew we had to do something- whatever our reason. One day, when they do reach that point, hopefully they’ll remember these conversations. And who knows, the ‘experts’ may well have come round to our way of thinking which would be another encouragement for our doubting friends.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi Lucia….I believe the expression “sleep tight & hope the bed bugs don’t bite” came from centuries ago when mattresses were made from straw inside a fabric cover which had a sort of drawstring holding the straw together inside it. You regularly had to pull your string tight to keep the straw compact and mattress shaped so you could be comfortable….bed bugs….probably fleas, mites and other crawlies from inside the straw? eeergh!!!
    All good wishes P

• posted by deetia52
    on

Hi
    I have been reading up and gearing up since Monday and am starting properly today. Really want and need to do this. I am thinking of seeing my doctor next week to discuss meds and to see if they will keep a check on me. Do you think that is soon enough?
    Is it best to follow recipes given in the book or can we supplement them with own calorie counted healthy food?
    Dee

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi deetia 52,

Welcome.

Regarding your doctor, others more experienced will discuss this with you.
    Your question of recipes or go free style , I can help a little with.

For me, I kept it simple, I converted from junk food, then counted the calories , then when I had that under control , I counted the carbs too.
    Some find that keeping to the recipes a great help, but I found that salads with a little protein were filling. Or veggies and a little proteinase easy to do.

I avoid recipes with a million ingredients in. I find that by the time I get all the equipment and the ingredients out, I have forgotten what I was going to make, or lost the will to put it together.
    Have a wonder through the book and also here on the website. The websites recipes are measured for you so at the beginning you know what you are eating.

The only pearl of wisdom I can give you is…. Avoid the bananas, because, see that chappie over ther wearing the minions onesie? Well he might tell you off. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒ

As you can see, I keep it light hearted and fun. You must do this as well. Don’t beat yourself up, enjoy doing this, take a little exercise and most important of all, laugh. Laughter uses your belly muscles so do it often.

All of us here are now your friends and we all look forward to hearing about your journey.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi plumpitous,
    Wasnt that in medieval times?
    yes I can remember having to fetch the straw. The bedroom smelt of damp meadow.
    Boy am I wearing well.
    Have a great day
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thou art great Lucia. Remember how low carb our diets were back then? Hark! ‘Tis the Lord of the Manor, I must away…………..

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi julia18togo,
    I have a daughter doing horticulture courses at the moment, and I remembered you were asking Lucia how to stop cats using your garden as a toilet? My daughter puts orange peel on our veg patch where cats use it as a toilet, she says they don’t like the smell of citrus, might be worth a try? Hope alls well with you, are all the exams finished now? I hope they did ok when do they get their result? Callum our eldest grandson, got an a in his last exam, ( he has done an extra year at college) so he will be going to Aberdeen in September.
    Christine

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    All we had was pottage.
    Like veggie casserole.
    With all the manual work, it kept my weight down but I probably was a TOFI.
    The good thing about the days, was, I got up with the sun and went to bed when it went dark.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,

……I remember the pottage….and the going to sleep when it was dark and rising with the sun…..the long Winters were the worst.
    But, I did get a lot of exercise milking the cows….and I never got smallpox, thanks to the cowpox (there would have been a medieval nobel prize for medicine in that if they’d existed!)

Seriously though Lucia – I have a parsnip recipe that dates from those times – not low carb though (mashed parsnip, cream, nutmeg – top with fresh breadcrumbs, dot with butter and bake.) Definitely not on the menu thanks to the parsnips and the breadcrumbs!

I’ve just finished dinner – cauliflower pizza – home made pizza is a Friday night tradition in my home.

Have a great day.

• posted by Lucia
    on

The long winters were the best, we hibernated!
    The good old days, when you never left your village. You never married above your status.
    You only had the one outfit.
    You bathed once a year.
    Ironing wasn’t invented yaaaaay.
    You threw the chamber pot contents out of the window.
    You didn’t have glass in the Windows.
    Water was poisionous so you had weak ale all the time.
    Those were the days
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Aye, those were the days.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    What have you been eating this past week.
    Looking for ideas.
    Bank holiday weekend. Not in on Monday , yaaaay.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Oh , I am going to have a go at tap dancing.

I have walked around my home saying… Shuffle shuffle hip kick. Etc
    I am trying not to fall over my own feet.

Any one else had a go?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Sandie
    on

Yes Lucia I tried tap dancing but fell into the basin.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Lucia,
    Here’s some of the things I’ve been eating:
    Eggs (boiled, scrambled, poached, omelette, frittata)
    Natural yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon, seeds, nuts and berries.
    Cream of cauliflower soup.
    Salads dressed with olive oil and lemon juice and I add a serving of the following (salmon, egg, cheese, ham or avocado).Sometimes I add some chickpeas or lentils.
    No carb ploughman’s lunch.
    Apple/mandarin (remember our seasons are opposite to yours).
    Zucchini (courgette) spirals with carbonara sauce.
    Chicken thigh fillets marinated in olive oil and lemon juice with low carb hot vegetables.
    Atlantic salmon/basa fillets/barramundi fillets/scotch fillet and salad.
    And occasionally when I really need a chocolate fix – 85% cocoa dark chocolate(no, Lucia not 85% of a chocolate bar, lol)/guilt free chocolate brownies/small cup of hot chocolate made with cocoa.
    Enjoy your bank holiday long week-end…you can practice your tap dancing.

• posted by Gina2555
    on

Hi Lucia
    How are you doing now? I was inspired by your will to change and interested to hear how it was going.
    Gina

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Gina,
    How am I doing now you ask?
    I am still as crazy as ever. Maybe more.
    Today I have been pretending to do tap dancing before my taster class.
    As you know I am still a big bird, so I think I look hilarious.
    I can laugh at myself as I get my exercises. It’s a lot better than just watching the telly and not moving.I am seeing a lot more places, doing a lot more things. Basically I am living instead of existing.
    My mental attitude has changed a lot , I am not miserable, I am happy.
    My fitness has gone from a minus number to getting healthier all the time.
    Regarding body size , I am just crawling along.
    Love
    Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    Thanks,
    It’s sounds as if you really mix it all up. And such a variety.
    Others reading may get some good ideas from the list too.

I am getting more energetic but my blubber seems to love me too much to leave me.
    I sometimes get disheartened by it with so much effort, but then I say, I hate numbers and scales, do a lot of growling in the bathroom. The scales cower in my presence.
    Then I do something weirdly crazy like tap dance.

Somehow it makes me feels a bit better.

Love LuciaXxxx

• posted by Sandie
    on

Lucia and Switzerland,I am finding your messages helpful. Love how Lucia is no living the life.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Switzerland.
    Do you still measure everything or do you do what I do.
    You know what the average bowl of broccoli costs in calories and carbs.

Do you use protein every day or , like me have a few days just veggies?

I think it is great that we have all read the book, but we execute it in a million variations.

I am thinking of doing the captain Lynn version from June. By the book. Strict.
    I think she is a wonderful role model.

I love my blubber but I feel it needs its independence, it needs to go out into the world and just be.
    I need to see how I can live without blubber. We love each other but we can’t live with each other any longer.
    I have a few photos, to remember it by.

So on Wednesday, I shall be captain, Sorry, no to presumptuous of me. Midshipman Lucia.
    Ah har me hearties. Come on ship mates, I challenge every last land lubber (or is it land lover) of you to all wear and eye patch and sellotape a plastic parrot on your shoulders and join me.
    If you don’t, some of you will walk the plank.
    Our rations will be maggot infested ships biscuits and a bucket of rum per meal.
    Yes, we need the maggots for protein.
    You there ! Stow that rope immediately!
    Any backchat and you will take a turn in the crows nest.

Look lively!!!!!!!!!

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Goodness me.
    I don’t know want came over me.

I need to calm down.

Any one see that Australian guy in ‘master and commander’. Russell Crowe.
    Swoon, swoon……..
    He can swash my buckle any time. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜—πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Oh, you should have seen what the predictive text wanted to put istead of that last comment.
    I am having more fun here than I ought to.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Yes,
    Berries and yoghurt

Sliced beef no caramelised onions, salad.

Mushrooms, poached eggs tonight.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So far today 12,758 steps.

15 sets of stairs.

10 minutes feeble tap dancing twice.

Bit of gardening
    Bit of house work.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Christie 1948.
    Another , easier way to keep cats from using the garden as a bathroom….
    I watched game of thrones.
    How about a photo of Ramsey Bolton in the flower beds.
    Ha ha.
    Definately lol.

Love Lucia
    Xxxxx

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi Lucia
    Pirate joke coming up shut your eyes if offensive to pirates!
    Whats Pirateophobia – fear of a sunken chest. boom boom.
    I too admire the stick yo it not make it up as you go along style just wish I could too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.