My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Col
    on

Hi Lucia…..you can certainly have a ‘go girl’ from this old girl! Love reading your posts and you and all the others here are keeping me on track as I am moving through week 2.

Interestingly we are about the same height and bmi so I really am reading your progress with great interest.

Here’s to us all ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    So before I came to my senses and came aboard the BS800 I have mentioned I ate Chinese food, chocolate and fizzy drinks a lot. So for one evening meal I would eat 3355 calories. That is not per day, that is just for one meal.
    Can any one see how I put weight on?
    Today I have ate 216 so far, ready for a nice evening meal.
    Boy, have I turned a corner. ๐Ÿ˜‡
    Guess who is having fun working out calories in various foods.
    Is there a good, simple website for accurate calorie counts?

Today, I have been for a walk. Enjoyed a little trip to the garden centre where I used to get a huge, beautiful cream cake, – rocky road, lemon cake, scones, chocolate cake mmmmmmmmm! What did I have today? A cup of tea ๐Ÿ˜„
    Bought some primulas. Reds, oranges, lemons, lilacs – beautiful colours, then I put them in and watered them. If ever I bought plants they would be put somewhere for weeks before I could find the energy to pub them in.
    Today it was 13 degrees, sunny and calm. What a great day Two so far.

How is your Sunday going, mine is going swell…
    Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Col,
    Thanks for the motivation.
    So you are into week two. Do you have any tips to help me and everyone reading?

I am trying to eat normal plain food. Such as chicken and veg. It’s what I am used to ( but a lot smaller portions).
    I will keep doing this until I get bored, then I will try the recipes here on the website.
    I am trying to move about more.
    And I am trying to stay away from the food and quantities that made me into a blob.

Just watching the start of the sunset out of the living room window. ( what, not glued to the TV? Another change for the best ๐Ÿ“บ)

Keep going!

Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi,
    So here we are Day three already and I am still here.
    Had an apple and full fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast.
    Lunch was Chicken with salad, lettuce, toms, celery, spring onions, it was yummy.
    A work colleague said I sounded like a caterpillar crunching away. What a great compliment, as chocolate has no sound.
    Haven’t weighed my self today, I will in the morning, it’s exciting isn’t it?

By the way, I have had two get well cards, one from cadburys missing my purchases (joke) and from my Chinese takeaway (joke)
    I am going away this weekend, so will have a cooked breakfast and have a couple of apples on me in case there is no choice for me in the eating places.

Have you noticed how sunny it is, it’s like Spring has now arrived. All is well in my world. Keep going everyone.
    Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OK so who are you and what have you done with Lucia ???
    Seriously I’m loving your whole attitude to this and I can see that you have the determination to succeed.
    I suspect you are surprising yourself at that.
    Keep posting, but I’m really looking forward to your day 7 results.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi bill,
    Nope, you are going to have to cope with day 4, 5, and 6 before then ๐Ÿค“
    I am enjoying this different path, it looks nice, there is lots to see and to do. Pity I missed the previous signposts for this path, along the way.
    Chicken salad for lunch. Yippeee !
    I am going to weigh myself tomorrow, I have been putting it off, as previously, (years ago) I could only manage 1/2 pound a week.
    So bill, what happens on day 7? Don’t tell me that I change from a middle aged lady to a 20 something, slim stunner?
    NOW, I am looking forward to day 7.
    Love Lucia xxxx ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Lucia you are amazing! No more to say x

• posted by MaryR
    on

Loving this too! You asked yesterday if there was a good website for calorie calculations- I’m using Cronometer, apps on iphone and ipad, but a lot more functionality on the actual website on the PC. Tracks EVERYTHING and you can put in all the recipes. Others use My Fitness Pal, (MFP); I didn’t get on very well with that one. Oh and I just got a Fitbit- fabulous bit of kit!
    In week 7 and 20lb down!
    MaryR

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi, so into the bathroom I went, no it’s okay to read on, nothing unpleasant , except for me.
    Have I lost four or five stone since Saturday? Nope, I have put 1/4 on !!!!!???!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Now I can do two things.
    A. Stuff my face with chocolate, to comfort myself with the shame of it all. All that effort OMG.
    B. It is only a tiny amount, but look back at my blogs , I have self taught some huge lessons.
    So, I went into the kitchen ( after getting washed and dressed – no streaking here) and had an apple with one large tablespoon blob of full fat Greek yoghurt.
    I have just finished lunch, pork and salad. Two slices of lean roast pork, 75 Grams, one celery stick, one spring onion, and three big leaves of iceberg lettuce.
    Tonight it will be chicken or fish with sprouts and broccoli.
    I am happy that , this is all I want to eat. I am not starving, and this is big lesson in itself. I am saving ยฃ5 each week doing this myself ( not going to ww or sw. )
    I am not perfect, I did mutter a few naughty words, but I am not typing them here, that was to my scales.
    So onwards and upwards as they say.
    How did you get over your bad times? Were you able to cope, or did you do more damage?
    Don’t get me wrong, if a large bar of fruit and nut had of walked into the bathroom at that point, maybe the outcome would be different. But all that stuff is two miles away from my home, at the supermarket.
    Stay positive, stay together, and we will all get through this.
    Love Lucia xxx
    Just going for a sulk now …..

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lucia you are doing brilliantly, don’t despair, we women can have strange increases in weight at times :(. You will probably find you are minus a few pounds in a day or two ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Get your backside out of the sulking chair miss!
    All that’s happening is your body hasn’t reacted as quickly than most to the low carbon assault that you’re putting it through.
    You know you’re doing things right, keep glugging the water and weigh again in 3 days.
    I have a feeling that you will be one of those that, when the weight loss hits, it will hit hard and fast.
    People have reported losing 5 lb in a day, you may well be one of those.

• posted by Larpent
    on

Hi Lucia. I am really not an expert and only in second week. Someone who loves her food and have managed to loose 3kilos so far in 8 days. Most days I go over my allowance, but I exercise and walk a lot. Just wondering if you are having enough fat! Only questioning it as your lunch and evening meal seem to be just veg and salad and meat, where is the fat. Are you recording what you are eating, it’s such an eye opener! Some fruits and veg are very high in carbs. I have under 40 carbs a day and usually this means sugars are very low too, under 20. I have always had a sweet tooth and struggle with not eating daily chocolate, this week better than last and now have berries with sprinkling of seeds, for fat or nuts, all weighed and that seems to work, I noticed a lot of natural yoghurts still have a lot of carbs, I have found a sheep milk yoghurt, so much lower in carbs, but fats and protein higher. You have done a great job, I have read your blog up until now, amazing steps. Just think what you are now putting into your body, great stuff. Keep going but check your labels and record your meals, maybe too low in calories! That won’t help, how many calories do you have a day? Probably a blip, but keep positive, get moving and check what you are eating. Don’t give up if I can do it so can you! ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Jellitum
    on

Lucia,
    you should write for a living! Your enthusiasm shines through, there are some really poetic images and humour too!

I hadn’t noticed, but I’m in the middle of week 2. I am not far behind you in the weight and inches, but got there on 2000 cals/day despite all sorts of exercise. I’ve always said I’d be the last to die in a famine because a little food goes a long, long way with me! I have lost 2kg in the first week, plateau for a couple of days, now another half a kg down.
    Good luck!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi bill 1954, is that you being masterful?
    Yes, I had a good sulk probably for a good five minutes. I have threatened my scales that if they don’t come up with the goods, they will be sleeping with the fishes. ๐Ÿ˜„
    I think it is good to feel let down, I have to go through disappointment so I can control myself not running for the chocolate.
    I have had a lot of water today, you know a balloon filled with water, squishy? Well I felt like that this afternoon.
    Just had my evening meal, feel stuffed.
    I am not worried now, about my gain, as just look at my lessons learned and my friends coming to my rescue. Bill, please stay with me here on the website for my eight weeks.
    Love Lucia xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi jellitum,
    Thanks for your kind words about my ramblings. I was doing it just for me, a diary, but it has brought me so much more.
    I think I would be first to die in a famine, thousands could live for years off my blubber๐Ÿ™ƒ In fact I could cancel out any famine.
    Can you give me an example of what and how much you eat in one day?
    How did you cope with your plateau? Did you curse the scales, sulk for a few minutes and got on with it like me?
    When I weigh myself next time, I am going to cut my toe nails and shave my legs, surely that is at least another gram or two๐Ÿ˜œ
    Stay happy jellytum.
    Love Lucia.
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi larpent,
    I laughed so much when you asked if I have enough fat! You would know I have plenty if you saw me trying to get everything into my tights of a morning. ๐Ÿ™„
    I thought I was doing well counting my calories, now I have to look at fat and carbs. That may take a little longer working all that out. I will try though.
    I have 800 to 850 calories. Per day.
    I thought the full fat Greek yoghurt tablespoon big blob on my apple would cover the fats needed.
    I think, maybe my body is in shock , or just stunned. It’s probably saying , what the devil is she up to now? She will get over it and get back to the old routine, I will just wait here for now.

Isn’t it wonderful, the light nights and wasn’t it mild again today? I am walking to the next bus stop to work and getting off a stop earlier both ways. Every little helps… Or is that an advert?

Just off to my sock drawer to apologise to my tights. Didn’t realise the torturous life I have put them through.
    Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lucia I. Love your posts! Grey, gloomy and wet all day here but you inject some sunshine into the day! As for those tights you will soon need a smaller size!! X

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lucia, I will still have quite a bit of weight to lose after the 8 week mark so I’ll be around to bore you for some time yet.
    Did you like my attempt at being assertive ? I spent hours practising in front of a mirror. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    Sorry for the rain where you are, if it was here I would probably grab my wellies and go splashing, I am feeling younger these days.
    Spring will be here soon, had an unusual text to remind me the lawn needs feeding at the end of the month. Can believe Easter is at the end of next week, then everything in the garden will be doing crazy things.
    Have you watched the blackbirds at dusk. As I walked from the bus stop, they were singing their heads off. It’s all making me feel happy that winter is behind us. You miss all of this in the car.

My poor tights, when I shrink and need the next size down I am thinking of tying them between two trees, they are wide enough to use as hammocks ๐Ÿ˜Ž There is a LOT of material in them.
    Love Lucia.
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi bill1954,

Love the idea of you practising in the mirror.
    For many years, I thought we had funfair mirrors in the bedroom, the ones that make you look wider and shorter than you really are.
    Hoping that they change to nice, normal mirrors over the months.
    Hope you stay until the summer.
    You have a lot of work to do on my mental state. Eg. When I was stressed I eat cake. Bill, explain to me why stressed backwards spell desserts? I can almost hear the theme music to the twilight zone.

Anyway, going into the kitchen to talk to my food scales, they two may wake up with cement boots. I have it in for all my weighing scales today.
    Don’t you think I am taking my quarter of a pound gain quite well?
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Lucia, you are a shining light!
    You will get there, I have no doubt that this is just a little hiccup along the way. So many people post about a gain or a plateau and we can only speculate as to why it happens. The overall weight trend is downwards, and usually fairly rapidly compared to other diets. The upwards direction is for your energy, zest and enjoyment of life. You are noticing blackbirds, and nature and seasonal changes that seem to be making you happier than any chocolate bar ever would.
    Keep it up, you are going to come out a winner. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Lucia
    Oooo I didn’t realise that about those two words.
    Ok try this, I made it last night and it was delicious.
    I made up the recipe for the coconut flour flatbreads but used just 1 tbsp of coconut flour and added a drop of vanilla essence and a pinch of flaked almonds. I still had to add just a drop of milk to the mixture to get the consistency I wanted.
    I spread the batter really thin on a well greased tray and baked until golden brown, about 20 mins. The batter spread out on the tray to make 2 good sized but thin breads.
    Next I mixed a little creamy goats cheese with some ricotta to give a spreadable consistency spread half of the mixture on each bread, and topped off with sliced strawberries.
    Result, 2 nice desserts. It isn’t exactly cheescake but you know if you close your eyes and use a little imagination, it ain’t a long way off.
    Give it a try ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Bill, that sounds scrumptious. As soon as I am on my feet again I’m going to make some mmmmmm x

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hope you enjoy it Judith, it was a treat for me and the OH enjoyed hers too
    If it gets her approval, then it has to be good.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Love the strawberry flatbread idea, will try that at the weekend.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Bill

Now have coconut flour so will try this when I get some time. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Guys forget to mention
    Use a thin spatula and get them off the tray as soon as they come out of the oven.
    Forget, and they don’t just stick, they become part of the tray.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

This is compulsive reading, Lucia! Have now signed up to be notified of replies in this thread too. My inbox is looking horrendous, but it gives me a belly laugh or several reading your posts when my day is not going so well. You are nailing this, the scales just haven’t realised yet what is going to be hitting them – a whole lot less of you, that is for sure.

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Dear Lucia, my hubby and I started the B S D on Monday 11th March, we are on day 3 today and doing well, I started out I am ashamed to say at 16 stone 7 lbs and I am 5′ 6″. I was starting to burst out of my size 20 (uk) clothes but am determined to beat this disgusting me for good. Not wallowing in self pity but for once a self realisation that I am in control now and what I weigh and feel like is all down to me. We can all do this with each other’s support! I have already lost 5lbs and feel pumped. I have only taken a few steps on a long journey but one step at a time! We are both high risk pre type 2 and must stop this slide if we want to enjoy the rest of our lives with any quality. Never done blogs like this before. – it feels like I am sharing my private diary with the whole BSD world but no use hiding the truth about where I have been, what is important is where I, hubby and the whole BSD community is going. Good luck and look forward to sharing our journeys.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great start Catgirl and a great attitude too.
    We can all get through it together and we can all achieve a healthy diabetes free lifestyle. At least that’s my game plan and if I have to keep trying for a year, I will.
    Ok you haven’t done blogs like this before, but like everyone else, every time you post something positive, you are leaving a legacy on the forum that will encourage new starters for as long as you can imagine.
    It isn’t what you post, it’s how many times it’s read and by how many people, so post away.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi cat girl,
    Many thanks for your honesty.
    It is only joining this website , that my brain moved out of the clogged chocolate goo it was in and realised that ther is life without it 24/7,
    I shall bear my soul to you.
    I was in BHS , I was buying a dress and a skirt, the assistant took me to the changing cubicle, she closed the drapes.
    By the time I peeled my clothes off, and found I couldn’t step into the dress,as it couldn’t get higher than my thighs, so I took it off and was going to try over my head when she opened the curtains wide to see the dress on me.
    The embarasment was massive. It was a packed shop.
    I told her to leave me alone.
    So I tried the dress over my head, nope, no go. Size 20.
    So I thought the skirt would do, but it wouldn’t fasten around my waist, I was now a size 22. I sat there in my underwear crying that I had just realised my size.
    That’s the lowest I have been.
    Then I heard about Michael Mosley. He seems to write a book, tell you the facts and ther is no hype, no lies, here it is. That’s why I am no the path. I don’t want to cry in the changing room.
    Cat girl, let’s do this together, just for 8 weeks, let’s take each hour, make the right decisions and let’s both go out and strut our stuff a few sizes smaller?
    At my age, that will frighten a few people. I am sure they will leave me alone as they will think I have escaped from somewhere.
    So c at girl, I am here for you, my warts and all. I have been honest with you, that I have put weight on this week, so what, look at my frame of mind, look at my attitude.
    Go out and smell Spring, it’s in the air. Sit and look at the birdies, look at the purple crocuses, bright dafodils and snow drops.
    I am ready to walk a bit further along the path, you coming with me?
    Love Lucia.
    Xxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lucia who needs spring ?
    Even after all those disappointments, you are our very own ray of sunshine and it would be briliant for you and catgirl to buddy up on this.
    BTW you can thank me for the strawberry menu in the usual way ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Lucia and catgirl, I have nothing but admiration for both of you. The people on this forum are all so different in so many ways, yet we share this common goal of wanting to make changes and do something that will benefit future generations. I wish you every success and look forward to reading about your progress. Especially, lucia I am waiting for the story about when you go into the changing rooms and the other customers hear you cheering like a maniac at the top of your voice!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Julia 18 to go,
    Glad I can make you smile, keep walking with me and we will see how far we can go.

At least one member has got me into trouble , Bill 1954 was asking me about my eating.
    So I decided to find out how much fat in my blob of full fat Greek yoghurt. So how do you measure a blob?
    So I measured the spoon, then I put a blob on the spoon, but then I couldn’t put the spoon on the scales as the yoghurt would go on the scales.
    So then I measured a clean spoon and a paperweight.
    Then I put the spoon with the blob on the scales with the bowl of the spoon hanging over and the handle of the spoon weighed down by the paperweight. Got three different readings.
    Yes , now I know I could have weighed the yoghurt pot, then took a blob out then remeasured the yoghurt pot. That would have been easier. But I don’t do easier.
    So how much fat is in a blob of yoghurt!
    I haven’t the foggiest idea. But I annoyed it on my apple for breakfast.
    Love Lucia xxxx

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Dear Lucia and Bill 1954, thank you so much for your support and encouragement, like you I want to strut my stuff and at 57 ( feeling 27) my motto is to grow old disgracefully but hopefully a slimmer version of the old me!
    Yes I will be walking the path with you and smelling the roses!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Bill 1954,
    Oh Bill, you want me in the kitchen with sharp knives and other dangers?

So how DID you get the flat breads off the tray when they went cold ๐Ÿ™‚
    I would probably take it out into the garage where there are so many things, hammers, pliers, etc to help with my baking.

Hope you are having a great day.

Love Lucia

Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Doh!

No one told me that there was a blog thread called ‘what did you eat today’ now that is a handy read for me.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Scotgran
    on

This morning as I reached for the punnet of blueberries, I dropped it! Oh my goodness, how those berries can run, hop and jump. They were everywhere. Under the fridge, under the butchers block, in the salad drawer, in the little bit where the fridge defrosts, I had a workout just bending down to pick them up!

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Lucia, I read the what I’ve eaten blog every day and post there too. I’ve had a few good ideas from it.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

LMAO
    I’ll have you know that my baking is not yet into hammer and chisel territory !
    I just took the tray out of the oven and immediately took a flat spatula (or fish slice if you prefer) to them, just loosened them around the edges and then freed them with a single swipe.
    How DO you manage to always make me feel a bit guilty when I give you advice ?
    I have a feeling that you would be a very expensive wife ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Janet1973
    on

More boringly, I just bake my flatbreads on greaseproof paper.

Really feeling for you Scotgran, what a pain!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Does that work ok Janet ?
    I use a non stick tray liberally greased with coconut oil and they still stick.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Yes it works fine, however, mine have always been a bit on the thick side I think. I haven’t got hang of spreading them thin yet.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Back of a wet spoon works for me Janet
    “a bit on the thick side” ? Sounds just like me

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi bill, I. Just do mine on greaseproof paper on a baking sheet, they just flip off easily, hot or cold.

Lucia and catgirl STOP being embarrassed! You should be so proud about what you are now doing! If you have more weight to lose than some just think how much more of a weight loss you will be posting. Think about how many people could see your results and go on to change their own lives!
    Lucia while you admire the birdsong, admire yourself as well, you deserve to xxx ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

“So how much fat is in a blob of yoghurt”

A bitsince

• posted by Lucia
    on

Bill 1954
    ยฃ1.79 from morrisons ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    Xx
    Love Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi all,
    So blob of yoghurt and an apple for breakfast
    Celery, Spring onion, lettuce and 75g roast pork for lunch
    Bacon grilled, mushrooms and a dry fried egg

Is 615.5 calories
    33.8 Grams of fat
    7.2 Grams of fibre
    23.9 Grams of carbs.

Didn’t realise my calories count was so low so far today.
    I am not hungry ( small miracle) so I will go and have a mooch in the cupboard for something healthy.
    I have feta cheese for lunch tomorrow, maybe a bit of that……

That took hours to look up and add up, I will find a website to speed me up.

How is everyone else doing?
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Lucia, no need to dry fry anything – get the butter in that pan!

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Lucia I use easy diet diary which is free to download. It’s actually an Australian app but it’s easy enough to use if you are using fresh rather than branded products. I have noticed that whilst my calorie count is usually a little below the 800 my carb count is often quite high. For example today I’ve had 691 calls but 32 carbs. I will work on my choices to try to bring that down to under 30. By contrast yesterday I had 791 calls but only 23 carbs.

Please log in or register to post a reply.