My eight weeks….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

They are definitely worth using. They tell you if you are burning fat or not. Yesterday I had a small piece of chocolate, a slice of white bread and a few glasses of cider (it was a works reunion, not my normal eating pattern these days). I thought all of that was bound to ruin my diet but the ketostix showed I carried on burning fat the whole time.
    You can,get them from the chemist in Morrisons or from amazon for around a fiver. I only have two addictions in life now – coffee and ketostix!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine I got mine from amazon but you can get them from pharmacies.

They show whether you are in ketosis ( fatburning). The various shades show the degree of fat burning – or not ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Lucia, like you I would like more info please! I went onto the Boots Online site thinking I could get them and info there – put in ‘ketostix’ and that came up were pregnancy testing kits! I doubt that is what we are needing ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Boots don’t sell them or Lloyds chemists ๐Ÿ™

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh, my son sells them in a small independent pharmacy, I assumed therefore that the big ones would. They are an otc med but my son has them behind the counter.
    Best get them from amazon ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Janet1973
    on

The pharmacist at boots told me to go to the chemist in morrisons. I don’t know how she knew but she was right!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Pharmacists usually have a good idea what other pharmacies sell. Chances are adisgruntled patient has said ‘ I’ll go to morrisons they always stock it’ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Thanks for the info, I should have asked daughter Emily , she is a pharmacist! However, (don’t tell her though!) She tends to talk down to me when I ask her leading questions! Like that. Will check Amazon.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

My son is a pharmacist too, I just never thought to ask him, just ordered them from amazon. He looked a little disappointed when I showed him them as I could have got them through him! ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi janet1973
    confession time, yesterday evening when all the family left, we( husband) sat down with a coffee with cream and a chocolate eclair! I was still under 50g carbs when I had reckoned them up so guess what this morning I had still lost a pund, well pleased!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Snap, I wonder what else we have in common? Will have a look in morrisons for the ketostix things, any idea where they would be and what to look for ice colour of box etc?

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lucia
    Thanks, will have to have a look for them, maybe even take them on holiday with me! or is that being a bit too ‘anal’?

• posted by Lucia
    on

So they just tell me if my body is in blubber bashing mode?

It seems that if you keep your carbs down, that’s when bash mode kicks in

I don’t fancy using the sticks as I have enough to sort out in the bathroom and march at the same time so accidents are bound to happen.
    Don’t want to leave puddles in the bathroom. โ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Christine, it is the chemist within morrisons that dells the ketostix. We’ll forgive you your eclair especially as it didn’t hinder things. I hope it was delicious!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Just got another two signatures in the petition 154 and 155.

Doing my best
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Vicfish37
    on

I read Dr.Michael’s book in the early new year. The contents were a revelation, providing me with a final decision to follow his low carb diet. A few personal details I am a 79 year old great grandfather shortly to enjoy my 80th birthday. .I have been suffering from type2 diabetes for around 30 years. My medicine includes 2×500 Metformin twice a day. high blood pressure tablets and at 16 stone, very overweight.
    With the total support of my wife I started the diet on Fed 8th.Prior to starting we both did as much research on what we were doing.
    We found an invaluable source of technical information in weightlossresource .co.uk Apart from providing a list of 22,000 commonly used foods (in the UK) the listing is also broken down into constituent parts. It also offers a computer programme to provide a meal by meal breakdown. A daily and weekly total is also added and separated into calories, fat, protein, and carbs. A calorie and nutritional profile is also provided.
    After reading a number of journals I set myself a very very low 20 grams of carbs a day target. In the 8 weeks I recorded an average of 22.73 carbs a day.My average calorie intake was 723.I missed my carb target by a small amount but achieved a satisfactory daily calorie intake.Over the 8 weeks my Nutrition profile was 50.3% Fat,37.8% Protein and 11.9%Carbohydrate. The diet was a total success ,I have lost 20lbs in eight weeks. My FBS is now in now in the normal range between 4.8-5.2. My BP has also improved to around 127/80 I will see my GP shortly with all my stats and recent history in the belief that I will have a substantial reduction in my meds.
    Throughout the past eight weeks I have dipped into this web site, reading through the forums, bowled over with people’s results and endless encouragement from such a great diverse group of people, all showing great concern and care for one another, it has been a great help keeping me from straying, I truly feel this diet has changed my life and my way of life. I shall continue to chase down my BMI, staying with 800 diet .
    Thanks for listening, keep on going

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi janet1973
    The choc eclair was delicious, a little sweet, however it satisfied my craving, so job done. Here’s to the next 22lbs loss.

• posted by Catgirl
    on

I have just rang my local Asda pharmacy and they stock the urine ketostickd, just double check if you ring up as I was told they had them for the meters, when I probed more and said surely that is for blood monitoring the assistant made more enquirers and told me they have both types, ยฃ5.50 a tub.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi cat girl
    Thanks will hopefully get some tomorrow, will try Asda, then morrisons, Hope I get a result at one of them.
    Christine

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Weight in this morning at the end of week 3 and I am 1 stone down with 4 1/2 inches off my waist, hubby is 11 lbs down with similar inches lost.

Week 3 was really odd, I felt moody and depressed, had trouble getting off to sleep and dark dreams, after 2 fab weeks this was a shock. Not sure if it’s hormonal or what, which you would think at my age would be done and dusted but noooooo, Mother Nature has other plans for me at the ripe old age of 57!

Still fully motivated and looking forward, hubby has now bought shorts for our hols which are 6 inches too small in the waist, just wait till August when I will be in my jazzy capris and he will be in his shorts, socks and sandals are barred!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Vicfish37, welcome to the forums.
    That is a superb set of results you have there and helps to prove that age is no barrier to obtaining good health just by eating correctly.
    Your statement “I truly feel this diet has changed my life and my way of life” rings so true for me and I know others. I can’t see myself ever going back to the way I was.
    I remember years ago (when the OH decided she didn’t like the look of a meal she had never tried before) the Turkish chef said “You English eat with your eyes, not your mouths”
    Perhaps it is time for us to eat with our eyes, ie using them to read food labels to see all the absolute rubbish we are being given as food.
    Just 9 weeks in and I now have total disrespect for the food industry. These big companies recruit the brightest of the bright to work in research
    They must have known for years how bad all those carbs were but “hey, it’s all about the bottom line, who cares about their health.”
    Well, we do and we are about to do something about it. they had all better be aware.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Vicfish, I am delighted for you!! What a lot of work you put into your research and diet. You richly deserve the rewards you have gained! I hope your practice is bowled over by what you have achieved!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lucia – thanks for getting those 2 extra signatures. I’m dying to know how, of course ๐Ÿ™‚

Brilliant weight loss catgirl. Re week 3 – I guess our bodies have had to accept a lot recently and just grumble a bit sometimes! ๐Ÿ™‚

Christine we probably have a lot in common as there are 2 things already! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Vicfish37
    on

thank you Hashimoto for your good wishes, we are thrilled too. the secret is observing and recording every thing you eat, it really helps keep me motivated, so many good comments on this site have really helped and encouraged me through the tough times.
    Personally whilst paying attention to the 800 a day recommendation, the vital target is a very very low carb limit, seemed to be the way to drive down my blood sugar level to the normal range.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Vicfish37

Astounding & triumphant! You & your supportive wife are BSD heroes. High five! High EVERYTHING!!

Hope you have spotted this posting , Michael

Eureka

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Vicfish37
    The best part of your story for me (apart from all of it) is when you said you had type 2 for 30 years which will be a really big encouragement to anyone who has had type 2 for a long time that they can still improve their situation. Really well done. I’m also going to have a look at the website you mentioned. Thank you for posting.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Vicfish37,
    what a wonderful achievement – congratulations. Hopefully you can now be med-free in the near -future!

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,
    I have just read vic fish 37’s fantastic blog.
    I think we all need to get tee shirts made with VIC FISH 37 on. What a role model. What a story, what an achievement.
    I am going to read it again tomorrow and have a look at the website.
    I hope everyone reads this blog.

Thanks vic fish 37 for sharing.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto.

Email the link to other members of your family.
    Ask them to click the link sent to their email.

Will try and get another three tomorrow.

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hubby has just become 162 on the petition.
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lucia, great going, girl! I did send it to a few folks, so far only my son has signed. My dad doesn’t really get it. I’m hoping for a few more signatures. It is on my facebook too.

You are making a good job of persuading people to sign. I doff my hat ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Where is my early morning Lucia fix ?
    Are you climbing a mountain?
    Running a marathon ?
    Or just running late ?
    Going into withdrawal here come on L

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Calling Lucia

Lucia, where are you?

Come in Lucia.

Over and out

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Ground control to captainlynne
    Ground control to captainlynne
    Find Lucia, tell her to get checking in. ๐Ÿ™‚
    (Apologies David)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

LOL Bill

I’ve requested the bloodhounds to seek her out.

Failing that the NCIS team are on standby with their technology.

Lucia – there is no hiding place! Come out, come out, wherever you are.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,
    Sorry but there wasn’t an Internet connection in work so couldn’t sneak out of the office and blog you all.

Anyway, I am here now.

All through the night, I have had a headache behind my right eye. Took a few headache tablets but couldn’t get back to sleep.
    Is it the headaches everyone has at the beginning of the diet. Am I so dense I am weeks behind everyone else?
    So I am making an appointment with the opticians. Hopefully with one that hasn’t had a ton of garlic the night before.
    One that has dreamy eyes that I can lose my self into their depths and then as he rips of HIS corset, please god I wake up!!!๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Should have gone to specsavers ๐Ÿ˜€
    We were all worried about you L
    Glad you’re ok
    It’s ok I’ve rang the Criminal minds team and they’ve turned the plane around.

• posted by Lucia
    on

I have sad news, my best friend has left me, ours was a fleeting relationship, we went everywhere together, we were so close. And now he’s gone, he didn’t even say goodbye.
    I am devastated.
    Crushed.
    A wreck,
    Fred, I send you all my love wherever you are. ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”

How do you all feel when your blister heals?

Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Are you sure he’s gone ?
    it’s not just the internet connection ???
    ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Lucia
    on

The internet is rubbish today.

I was saying carbs in apples.
    Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

I understand bananas are bad with sugar and some chemical, helium or potassium or something.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

So I am sticking with airborne veg not buried veg.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

I give up, Internet crashing.
    Will natter later.
    Love l ucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Vicfish37, I wholeheartedly agree with all the others. You are an inspiration! If you can do this after 30 years of being diabetic it is proof positive that age and length of time since diagnosis, needn’t be a barrier to success.
    You and your lovely wife are to be commended. Thanks for posting about your journey, it is night time here in Aus, and your story has just topped off what has already been a lovely day!
    You will go on to lose the rest of the weight, and your Dr will be amazed at your results. Hope you have a wonderful 80th Birthday, and many more healthy years to come.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    How come Bill 1954 missed me, I blogged the night before?
    Must be my aftershave.
    ๐Ÿ‘ฉ
    Love Lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lucia could he be mourning for fred? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi captain Lynn.
    Sorry to say, NCIS , Gibbs hasn’t arrived yet.
    How can you build me up , only to knock me back down.
    I would love Gibbs to be our team leader, I would definately not eat carbs if he says so.
    Swoon swoon.
    He had a make over or over haul at the start of this season.
    Sometimes I think his overcoats are too long.
    But his smile……. Dreamy.

Oh and
    Yogurt and apple.
    Ham salad
    Fish and veg.

Tons or gallons of hot water.

How are you doing?

Love Lucia

Xxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Ah, Fred, Fred,
    Sorely loved
    Now just dead.

A haku’ poem.

Do you like the sorely because he was a blister?

Three lines.
    To the point.

Love Lucia
    Xxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Very poetic punning lucia.
    Alliteration!

Since fred has died invisibly I guess there will be no funeral?

Xxx

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Lucia

I remember Fred
    Demise immortality
    Just a shoe away

Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ahh, 17 syllables! ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.