Leg cramps

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keepsmiling
    on

Has anyone else noticed that leg cramps have ceased since starting the BSD? I used to get quite frequent leg and foot cramps at night, but have just realised that I haven’t had them since I went low carb a month ago. Coincidence? Or is there some causation factor? I’d love to know. Whatever, I’m a happy and better rested bunny!

• posted by Patsy
    on

Like you say, it’s good news whatever the reason.

If you’re drinking more water that might be helping?

• posted by Switzerland
    on

It’s great the leg/foot cramps have gone. From personal experience I don’t get cramps when I am well hydrated.

• posted by GlennFoster
    on

There are many factors of having cramps. Sometimes tight, inflexible and unconditioned muscles may be level to have cramps or stress can be factors that causes muscle tension. In research it has been proven that having a warm bath in walk-in bathtubs at the end of the long day is one of the best methods for reducing stress and offering good sleep. Last month my brother was also having leg cramps as a doctor has suggested to have a warm water bath by installing a walk in tub in Spokane
    , because these bathtub had a feature of hydrotherapy jets that helps to reduce stress and joint pain, and can decrease swelling and inflammation and helps to increase the circulation of the body.

• posted by HerlindaWatson
    on

Hi there,
    My mom was also on leg cramp from last three months. Even after having low carb diet, she was not able to recover herself. While having the diet, she used to feel comfortable for some time, but after than she again feels the same pain. Later, my friend suggested me to give her hydro massage for her pain, as it is the ancient method of body pain relief. He also suggested me to install a walk in bathtub, which offers the hydrotherapy feature, so that my mom does not have to travel to the therapy center with her pain. I have consulted walk in tubs Mesa (http://www.walkinbathtubaz.com/mesa-walk-in-tubs-az/) and got a bathtub installed for my mom. From the day she started using the tub, I can observe changes in her pain. Now she feels relief from her leg cramp by taking the hydro massage daily during her bath.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Used to get awful cramps, esp at night. Since BSD, nothing, much better. Hydration is the key,

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I have had leg cramps from a teenager. They are much worse the more water I drink and much worse since being on the BSD.

If I make sure I take some salt before I go to bed I don’t get the cramps. Unfortunately, if I forget I will get horrible cramps which won’t go away until I have had to

• posted by Inka13
    on

Re: leg cramps, have you tried magnesium?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Inka – I do take a magnesium supplement daily for heart health but it does absolutely nothing for the cramps.

Salt is the only thing that sorts it. I use Celtic salt because it is less processed and tastes better than the pure white stuff. It is a rather horrible grey colour though.

• posted by christy
    on

yeah.. I had the same!

• posted by LindaA
    on

I too found that I got heaps more leg cramps on the BSD despite the gallons of water I was drinking. I finally twigged it was a lack of salt and since I’ve increased that – no more cramps!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Ah, yes, you’re right Krysia. I drink loads more water but remember seeing something posted early on that talked about a few grains of salt before bed – dithered as BP is slightly elevated, but it works – so it’s the salt, not the water! MK

Please log in or register to post a reply.