Latte Lover Here

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Melinky
    on

Evening….
    I’ve read a lot about low carb, high fat diets over the last few months…and from Monday I’ll be commencing the BSD5:2 diet. I have about 1 and a half stones to lose….its just crept up as I entered my forties. Now 44. I’m 5 ft 5 ( nearly 6 inches)
    As the title suggests my one huge downfall is lattes. It’s a it of a comfort blanket on the way to work , and probably part of the reason I’m piling on the pounds
    I’m reasonably fit. I run, bootcamp and occasionally cycle but I need to stop the weight gain

I am guessing at the moment giving up lattes will be the biggest challenge for me…so any advice from anyone who’s had to give up a luxury would be fabulous. I need any advice/ support not only about giving up lattes but also the 5:2 diet. I have quiet a stressful job and it’s easy to reach for high carb quick fix food in times of stress

Thank you in advance
    me
    Melinky

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Melinky,
    Welcome to the forums.
    You’ve made a great decision to embrace the BSD. Whichever form of the BSD you choose (you’ve chosen 5:2) it is a positive step towards a healthier way of life.
    You’ve been able to identify your biggest challenge before you commence – that’s great because being aware of challenges helps you make mindful decisions.
    The facts: 250 mls of full cream milk has @ 170 calories and @ 12ish grams of carbs.
    The decision: If you choose to continue your beloved latte on the way to work (as long as you don’t have sugar in it) it could potentially be your breakfast. Or, if you want to drop visceral fat quicker, you could get used to a black coffee on the way to work (which does not cause your insulin levels to rise).
    The question: Is it possible to have your latte and drink it too?
    Several years ago I stopped having sugar and/or sweeteners in my coffee – it took 6 weeks to get used to it and I haven’t returned to it.
    As BSD is a way of life you’ll find you’ll ‘tweak’ it (while staying within the principles) as you go along.
    Looking forward to reading of your progress. Best wishes.

• posted by Liro
    on

I have now avoided buying coffees out and just make mine at home and take in travel mug. Not quite the same but as its more the habit than anything it satisfies. Then I am allowing myself one or two small ones (rather than usual large) once or twice per week and just accept I will be closer to a 1000 that day. Plus trying to drink more herbal teas…again finding its more the habit of having it in my hand or using as excuse to break from work etc.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Malinky
    That is a really good and helpful post from Switzerland.

I do totally understand how you feel about your latte. My breakfast cappuccino made with my Nespresso machine and covered with a thick layer of Charbonnel & Walkers real chocolate flakes was my comfort blanket and helped me start my day (in fact I couldn’t start my day without it). Because of the health issues caused by diabetes I made the really hard decision to have my Nespresso with a teaspoon of double cream (sometimes a bit more) just for a short time until I got my blood sugars under control.
    Then the same thing happened to me as happened to Frog – my tastes changed and I could never go back to to the cappuccino. I discovered that I loved the taste of coffee and that all that milk was overwhelming the taste of my coffee. When I am out I often get a Costa coffee and I love their old paradise street specialty coffee which costs 20p more than their regular variety and changes every couple of months or so. They always have cream but you have to be careful because they always want to give you loads too much cream. Or of course you can do as Frog says – count your latte as your breakfast. The BSD is really flexible as long as you stick to the principles. Good luck on your journey.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Such good advice from everyone.

The thing is, that apart from the refined carbs EVERYTHING is allowable on the BSD – plenty to choose from, then

But of course we are restricted to 800 calories per day (or as close as we can get so we average that). In addition, to speed weight loss keeping carbs to under 50g per day seems to work brilliantly for many people.

It’s best to use an app like MyFitnessPal to log you food – really good for planning and for accountability.

And, I tell you, it’s a real education how many calories and carbs there are in things. When you are only playing with 800/50 it is quite easy to think “actually I’ll have a meal for the calories/carbs that cappuccino is” or “whilst I fancy an apple it’s 80 calories and 18 carbs, and I can do so much more with that”

I gave up sugar when I realised it was “costing” me 800 calories a week. A day’s worth of useless refined carbs.

So you can “build in” your latte as a meal; or try an alternative; but whichever you do it will be an education to you.

When you know how much it’s “worth” you’ll never drink it mindlessly again.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

• posted by Helsbels
    on

I used to have 2 or three lattes a day, but just went cold turkey with it when i started this diet in april. I now have one latte a week as a treat, on the day my mum has her treat meal, i think of it as dessert now rather than something i mindlessly drink. Its more of a luxury and i appreciate it more too!

As Igorasusual says every other day i’d rather use my carb and calorie allowance for food. Good luck kicking the habit.

• posted by Melinky
    on

Wow. Thank you for all your replies and support. Some really good suggestions and glad I’m not alone.
    I’ve decided to go cold turkey….for me I’m thinking that it round be a slippery slope….so I’m saying no to the latte at present. I’m going to take a black coffee.

Thank you

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Hi Melinky,
    I’m not a coffee drinker but am a tea with milk drinker, a lot of teas with a lot of milk! I’ve found that cutting down gradually works best for me rather than cold turkey. I was drinking it more out of habit than anything and now find I appreciate the 2 cups a day more than before. Good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.